• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't think it's "okay" or "acceptable", I just think it's unrealistic not to expect it. It's possible to be too damning as well.

For me, the key is that for the past 2 weeks all the online services have been patchy, and they're just serving up text through the game for the most part. Based on this performance, I could not see how multi would be stable at least until they get their new server farms up.

Data Ghost

Yeah, I'm stuck at finding the race trigger like so many others (it's not on the map). I hope this isn't game breaking or anything. When I killed myself, it just said "Wasted". I think the game thinks I'm not doing a mission when I really am.

Come on, Rockstar.

If this isnt a potential game save destroying setup I dont know what is lol

RaikuHebi

Banned
Managed to get snapmatic to upload:
0_0.jpg

Bullet wounds work to full effect in the multiplayer! My back was a riddled mess. Think my character looks nice enough.
Best looking character I've seen so far. Props.

Milennia

Was stuck on the "waiting for players" screen for some time at around 6 EST, relogged a good 3 times, went to grab some breakfast and came back around 30 minutes later and tried it again, worked just fine got in quick did some tutorials and just logged until tonight as im waiting to join a friend.

Overall from what i played ( about 2 hours worth ) its nice for what it is right now, getting used to no specials and weak stats/ no money property or anything of the sort will take some getting used to, im anxious to see how the micro transactions play out for them.

I'm very excited to see how the heists end up being coordinated when they patch them in, as well as how frequent they will be added.

Xbox btw

I randomly got the chance to pick John Marston as an ancestor, but I selected randomize and lost him. It's the worst aspect of the online so far. Eventually, the servers will be up and running, but that so-called create-a-character crap will still be there.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So the good news is if you can create a decent face in the character creator they're going to look a leap better in the game. I think it has to do with the textures as mentioned by taoofjord:
Not sure if it's due to the lag causing the high-res textures not loading, but the create your own character faces look awful. I remember GTA IV's faces looking rough but I don't remember it looking this bad. Anyone have any screens of their GTA V character? I'm curious if it's a technical issue or if that's how they actually look.

Drencrom

First impressions:
This has to be the worst fucking character creator i've seen. All the characters look the same, the system is unwieldy as hell, the appearance of you character keeps getting changed when you fiddle around with your lifestyle stats and my first character wasn't saved by some reason and it crashed my fucking console the second time i tried to make a new character (I've played GTA V SP around 50 hours without a single problem). On top of it, servers are shit (which was expected but still).

GG R*, that GTA Online delay is definitely justified

Ok I've worked out the first race trigger guy. If you so much as fire your gun or steal a car near this guy he either runs off or drops his flag, completely breaking the game lol.

Wow.

Edit: nope nevermind. Stole a car all the way down the street and he's still there. But still no trigger.

But if the multi was totally separate, would that not mean you'd have to reload all the assets to jump between modes? Not played it yet myself so not sure how it works yet. Makes sense to be in SP first and then jump into multi as you want though. And to have SP be the fallback position. Doesn't seem too bad, works like it did in IV.

*shrug* Maybe it'll be better here, but IV took forever jumping from one lobby into the next because you had to go through SP. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how much menu + mode jumping we'll actually be doing in this game. Though even if they didn't want to re-load the entire map, it shouldn't load into a character until the player specifically requests it. That way there could still be a kind of front end menu to speed things along instead of dropping back to street level every time.

I give up. Even my solo room doesn't work, and there's barely any online interaction happening there at all. I'll try later. Hopefully it's not even more broken.

So I tried to delete my character since apparently using an invite only server corrupts it and now my PS3's stuck on the deleting screen.

Heh.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Getting the finding race trigger error here. Wee!

I leveled up by running my car into mobs of people, and then escaping the cops. Also increasing stamina stat by jogging around the map, since nothing else works.

I randomly got the chance to pick John Marston as an ancestor, but I selected randomize and lost him. It's the worst aspect of the online so far. Eventually, the servers will be up and running, but that so-called create-a-character crap will still be there.
With your parents highlighted, press Triangle for Special Dad (aka Marston). It says it on the bottom of the screen.

Recall

Isn't Cloud technology supposed to have fixed all this type of shit?
All servers are virtually hosted in massive server farms.
Isn't it supposed to expand and contract with demand?

Stop falling for pr and marketing lies.

Servers issues always exist with high demand due to having less servers and data centres on than needed as its a wasted cost to have them and they not be needed. Adding more over the next day or two after the fact is cheaper.

Holy shit. This is glitchy as hell lmao. My character was just teleporting across the entire map. Wow.

Pop-in was terrible during the intro video too.

Grimsen

Went through the character creation before going to work. Terrible.

It's going to take me forever to make something half decent.

The MP character models also look very weak compared to Lamar, pretty jarring during the intro.

if anyone having some errors or glitches with the online

1 - delete the update from your HDD (59MB)

2 - Clear System Cache for your HDD

3 - Play the game and update again.

that should fix everything.

Revven

So sounds like best thing to do is to not play right now and wait awhile, right? I'll just play SP if that's the case lol.

TxdoHawk

Well, I agree that it sucks. However, its just one of those logistical things that can't be solved short of tossing astronomical amounts of money at it; an amount that is largely wasted after the "new thing rush" is over and you're not worried about millions of people slamming your servers all at once.

Ding ding ding! How many launches do we have to go through before people figure this out? There's a reason why nobody "gets this right".

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Online in solo, the race guy randomly disappears and reappears and no matter what the mission won't start, lol.

cripterion

Finally I past the first race and playing online! Shit is good when working!
Even includes other players during cutscenes! Rank 4!

Online in solo, the race guy randomly disappears and reappears and no matter what the mission won't start, lol.

Yup. I even got a few stars and it took forever for the police to get there. I thought them killing me would reset the race but NOPE. Lamar vanished.

GTAO is terrible 1/10 brb trading in for Gamestop points

Lunzio

Quick GPS is pretty handy. Still making my way through tutorial stuff, but I was able to escape a 3-star wanted level by hopping in the car of another player and escaping. Was rad.

Top Bottom