• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Ploid 3.0

I really hate the character creator. Seriously, 2 generations of family to tweak is better than just giving us sliders?

I just ended up clicking the "random" button until I found a face I liked, then tweaked hair and stuff from there.

And the results still look very similar.

Did one mission and then I was getting swarmed by players while it told me to go to am ATM. I had no ammo and said F that. Switched to Michael. How do I save and such? Or is it all drop in and it knows what to tell me?
I believe it's all in the cumulonimbus.

udiie

Did one mission and then I was getting swarmed by players while it told me to go to am ATM. I had no ammo and said F that. Switched to Michael. How do I save and such? Or is it all drop in and it knows what to tell me?

Did you just leave it in that screen with the players in the parking lot? I quit to try again and I'm hoping that wasnt a mistake. How long did it take?

Yep it's the darn race tutorial, few hours of beta testing found the problem for Rockstar. I wonder how they managed to not come across this problem with their own testing.
I don't think there are millions of Rockstar testers available and when we're talking about this huge of a game, there will almost always be unforeseen problems, regardless of how much they prepared for the launch.

doby

Yep, been doing that for the last 20 hours with no improvement, well, I say no improvement but at first the race marker wasn't appearing so I could actually run around a bit.

I can see a new patch incoming. The initial one seems to have broken gtao even before it could get off the ground. I don't think its just server side problems.

I have yet to read about anyone who has successfully been online.

Edit: Its funny how Rockstar say the error messages are 'occasional' and 'intermittent' on their support update page.

No Rockstar, they're 100% consistent...

After lots of dashboarding during the totally genius "let's make everyone trying to play for the first time participate in the same event simultaneously" intro segment, things were pretty smooth after that. Two of my other friends got lucky and got into (solo, apparently) instances of the race pretty quickly, while a third was not so lucky and was unable to get into the first race whatsoever today.

The only problem afterward was that I couldn't do mission jobs with my friends; whenever one of us would create a lobby for a mission, the others would get "Could not connect to Rockstar Social Club" (or something thereabouts) when trying to join and get booted back into free roam.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I can see a new patch incoming. The initial one seems to have broken gtao even before it could get off the ground. I don't think its just server side problems.

I have yet to read about anyone who has successfully been online.

Edit: Its funny how Rockstar say the error messages are 'occasional' and 'intermittent' on their support update page.

No Rockstar, they're 100% consistent...

? There have been people in this very thread who've been playing beyond the car tutorial, and there are streams out there with people playing.

Me and my friends played for a bit yesterday (360) and we didn't see any of the sports activites on the map. Does anyone here know if they have to be unlocked further into the "story" or what?

HiiiLife

Could've swore previews said that there will be plenty of CPU cars driving around. Not as much as single player but still enough.

This shit is empty as hell.

Ploid 3.0

I don't think there are millions of Rockstar testers available and when we're talking about this huge of a game, there will almost always be unforeseen problems, regardless of how much they prepared for the launch.

I mean the fact that they didn't think about what would happen if we couldn't start that particular race or give us a way to keep playing without needing to do that mission right away. They had testers and they didn't think to wonder about that? Guys that got past that one mission can pretty much freely enter the online again. I can also but I get stomped at the car sequence after entering the circle. It could be a bug as people have said you don't need other people to do the mission.

Me and my friends played for a bit yesterday (360) and we didn't see any of the sports activites on the map. Does anyone here know if they have to be unlocked further into the "story" or what?

I played for 3 hours and went around stealing from stores and doing a repo mission here and there. I also practiced some shooting and right before I went to sleep I unlocked tennis, golf and working out.

Hip Hop

Yes, they have to be unlocked. It goes by rank, so any race, deathmatch, mission you do counts towards that.

doby

? There have been people in this very thread who've been playing beyond the car tutorial, and there are streams out there with people playing.

On PS3?

Furthest I've got is when the game glitched and the blue race mission circle didn't appear so it just left me, no race trigger, no start menu. Just broken. Had to exit the game via XMB to get back to SP.

I played for 3 hours and went around stealing from stores and doing a repo mission here and there. I also practiced some shooting and right before I went to sleep I unlocked tennis, golf and working out.

Thanks. We are looking forward very much to Golf. We've been holding off on the Single-Player golf to start on equal footing Online.

ViviOggi

When the first mission and every part of joining/hosting games are broken on one of the two launch systems QA fucked up period.

It's way too fucking much.

If your issue is losing money from getting killed by assholes Rockstar has you covered. If you long-press back/select, you will reach a character menu. In hear you can select clothing you own, call for your car to be delivered, and also very importantly pay $100 to enter passive mode. Basically makes it where you can't get killed by those assholes.

Jarmel

Banned
If your issue is losing money from getting killed by assholes Rockstar has you covered. If you long-press back/select, you will reach a character menu. In hear you can select clothing you own, call for your car to be delivered, and also very importantly pay $100 to enter passive mode. Basically makes it where you can't get killed by those assholes.

Yes I saw that and it's kinda bullshit that I have to do it. People are fucking vultures in this game and for no reason. I don't mind getting killed every now and then but when people are hunting you down, it gets real old real quick.

I'm not even losing money so much from other players but the cops. You lose so much health when you get hit compared to single player.

Moozo

The first non-race mission (just a deathmatch) was pretty hilariously broken too. Got stuck in a lobby as two people were pending 'joining' forever. Had to back out and after that you can't re-initiate the mission because you need to be rank 26 or something.
Who decided it wasn't a good idea to just make that a low-rank event?

So, for anyone who has played extensively, when do you start doing missions other than repo or meth stealing? A friend and I have played for upwards of 7-8 hours and are still doing the same missions.

Hip Hop

The problem is also the cops here. You die by them, the money will be taken out of the bank account as well. So you can't really mess around much in Free Mode without causing a disturbance. It feels limited with this system in place.

Moozo

The problem is also the cops here. You die by them, the money will be taken out of the bank account as well.
This seemed fairly inconsistent to me. Sometimes I lost all my money and sometimes I didn't. Couldn't tell if it was an issue

Yes I saw that and it's kinda bullshit that I have to do it. People are fucking vultures in this game and for no reason. I don't mind getting killed every now and then but when people are hunting you down, it gets real old real quick.

I'm not even losing money so much from other players but the cops. You lose so much health when you get hit compared to single player.

To be fair you start with extremely shitty stats so it's no surprise that getting hit by a car or shot makes you lose so much more money. Tomorrow I'm planning on spending some time on the gym and riding a bicycle or something and raising up health and strength stats. That should help me survive more than one shot.

I've also found the best way to deal with an asshole shooting at you is getting a shotgun. They always get within range and one shot instakills these asses. I even had one guy hunting me throughout the map. Jokes on him. The second I got paid for a mission I run to an atm.

duckroll

I don't see the issue really. If by "messing around" you mean randomly just killing people in the streets and blowing stuff up mindlessly, I think losing the standard amount of money for being wasted is fair. If you just want to keep doing that, then obviously you're not interested in progressing in the mode or actually playing the game as it is designed, so the game has no reason to reward or cater to that sort of thing. It's not like you can't play the game anymore if you're out of money, so even at $0 bucks if you just want to blow shit up, just go ahead. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would think it being 4AM here would mean that there's way less people attempting to play. Still can't start this race.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't see the issue really. If by "messing around" you mean randomly just killing people in the streets and blowing stuff up mindlessly, I think losing the standard amount of money for being wasted is fair. If you just want to keep doing that, then obviously you're not interested in progressing in the mode or actually playing the game as it is designed, so the game has no reason to reward or cater to that sort of thing. It's not like you can't play the game anymore if you're out of money, so even at $0 bucks if you just want to blow shit up, just go ahead. :p

Can't buy anything though. You gotta purchase a lot of ammo unlike the single player.

doby

a public beta would've worked good for this.

That's not how R* roll, especially since the GTA world is one of the main hooks of the game, no way would they give that away for free.

Just look at this as being the beta, it certainly feels like it.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Can't connect. I cant believe a Scottish developer would release a section of the game in this state.

duckroll

Can't buy anything though. You gotta purchase a lot of ammo unlike the single player.

I think this is part of the teething problem of the Online mode basically not working for most people though. If the mode actually worked as designed, and everyone is playing it, I think people would probably find it much easier to actually make money. You would have more friends and strangers to play with, it would be easier to do jobs together, and just ride together and accomplish things easier than it is in single player. Even evading cops should be easier if you can have a reliable passenger to shoot the wheels off cop cars while the drive quickly moves the vehicle out of view so everyone can hide after robbing some stores.

The problem I feel is that:

- Online is broken, most people can't fucking play
- Hence there are less people playing and the experience is significantly hurt by that
- Because they're having problems rolling out even the most basic online services, the more advanced stuff like the Content Creator and Heists are not in the mode yet

In theory once things actually start to work, money shouldn't be a huge issue. Unfortunately, Rockstar has shown that they're really bad at handling this issue, and who knows when things will actually "start to work"... :(

Ploid 3.0

That's not how R* roll, especially since the GTA world is one of the main hooks of the game, no way would they give that away for free.

Just look at this as being the beta, it certainly feels like it.

The beta could have been at launch though. For pre order or limited edition users. A lot of people would want to play single player freeing up extra load of the limited preorder/LE users. This problem would have probably been stomped in the first 5 days.

Dabanton

Could've swore previews said that there will be plenty of CPU cars driving around. Not as much as single player but still enough.

This shit is empty as hell.

This is the weird thing when you start the online game the streets are pretty empty but once your past the store robbery. The city seems pretty busy in terms of CPU cars driving round.

Top Bottom