• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
The 'Stats' tab on the start menu (whilst online) has categories 'Unlock' and 'Awards'.
It will initially say a message but if you press A/X it will give you a list.

The 'unlock' tab tells you what level you will unlock certain activities. Tennis, Golf, Darts and Arm Wrestling is at Rank 6. There are many new ones available at higher ranks.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
R* should have been honest and called this first month the public beta. Then we wouldn't be quite so pissed off about it not working. Personally I'm not too upset, I have plenty to do in SP still. But I would like to play it eventually.

aro52

Went through the weird character creation, then booted me back to the single player after the "Ready?" screen. Oh well. Under Bridges and Knife Flights to complete.

(Also, the Battlefield 4 Beta is up for BF3 Premium peeps!)

Staab

Hmm got a system update on my PS3 this morning, GTA online wouldn't start without it...
Still not working though, dayum :/

CDV13

It was really odd today. I tried so many times on my xbox and it would never get to the race. One of my roommates came home from work and it went through on his first try. He played for around 3 hours. I decided to try it on his xbox after sitting through so many failed attempts on mine. Worked the first time. Really weird.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
R* should have been honest and called this first month the public beta. Then we wouldn't be quite so pissed off about it not working. Personally I'm not too upset, I have plenty to do in SP still. But I would like to play it eventually.

Didn't say anything about it being a beta on my game case. I'm pretty upset.

Hystzen

would have changed nothing people still would be moaning over it like every other time a game releases a beta

Ding-Ding

Cant believe this is still down. I was expecting connection problems and a few bugs but not to the point of failing to get a single session on the first day.

The only other fuck up for a console game online component this bad was Test Drive Unlimited.

Raiku

I think this is part of the teething problem of the Online mode basically not working for most people though. If the mode actually worked as designed, and everyone is playing it, I think people would probably find it much easier to actually make money. You would have more friends and strangers to play with, it would be easier to do jobs together, and just ride together and accomplish things easier than it is in single player. Even evading cops should be easier if you can have a reliable passenger to shoot the wheels off cop cars while the drive quickly moves the vehicle out of view so everyone can hide after robbing some stores.

That's me :)

Now if only I can get past this tutorial race.....

It was really odd today. I tried so many times on my xbox and it would never get to the race. One of my roommates came home from work and it went through on his first try. He played for around 3 hours. I decided to try it on his xbox after sitting through so many failed attempts on mine. Worked the first time. Really weird.
I've been playing for a few hours now (again 360), with a female. I just went back and tried with the original character i built (male) and it wouldn't go through. Why one and not the other?

Bsigg12

Oh man, too much fun tonight at even the lower levels. I would do 4-5 jobs to build up some money then go straight to an ATM and deposit most of it. Me and a random group of guys were driving around robbing stores and trying to board trains. We ultimately grabbed a couple choppers and some crop duster one of the guys had and made an assault on the base for a pair of jets.

Overall, really enjoying it. Excited to get into later game stuff and own my own place. The last team standing game mode can get unbalanced really easily but it's pretty good. I would prefer that the players only showed up when they shoot but I suppose in that game type, no one would move.

Mics are heavily advised as it will keep people from just gunning you down. I got killed a few times then bust my headset out and didn't have that issue again.

Edit: also shouting at store clerks to intimidate more is neat. I like putting on a mask and going in. I'll post a picture tomorrow of my GAF Street hoody. Being able to put crew emblems on clothes is awesome.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
This blows I mean I can play but with no other players. When I get put in with other people I'm kicked within seconds.

Whats more annoying due to being booted I'm getting affected by the Bad Sport status.

mjAUT

Question for those of you who can play:

I've read in another forum that all players can kick anyone from a session instantly, without a majority vote.

Is this true? If so, this has to be the dumbest kick-system ever...

tji1LYY.jpg

The problem I highlighted is still an issue for me. I'm waiting for another patch. I just beat the game and I can't access the online or the character wheel sometimes and the internet on my phone won't work. The minimap also disappears sometimes. Did anyone have these issues before the patch?

Eusis

Trying over and over to play, no results despite being the dead of night.

Well, at least I got past that introductory crap so I'd be able to jump straight into a game whenever it decides to start existing.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

I've read in another forum that all players can kick anyone from a session instantly, without a majority vote.

Must be I've been kicked about 10 times when joining others instantly and now I've earned the 'Bad Sport' aka 'Quitter' rating which means I can only play with others of the same.

Bsigg12

Well, at least I got past that introductory crap so I'd be able to jump straight into a game whenever it decides to start existing.

I had to start a game as invite only, then from there I was able to get into other sessions after I got through the tutorial section.

I didn't notice a boot system...maybe when doing jobs or matches though?(not sure about this) the only reason I even think there may be is because it SEEMS like those are personally hosted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Can you imagine the feeling when they were about "flip the switch" to get people online?

lmao! I can actually picture this. They know it's not going to work, but they already said Oct 1st. I can see lots of shaking heads and an air of defeat as the button is pressed. I can also see most of their staff not being allowed home last night.

Ouch. Poor bastards.

GlamFM

Banned
Played for 3 hours yesterday without any problems (360/Germany).

Didn´t have the pop in in the intro that I saw in some strems BTW.

Can I change my appearance later? My Character looks like shit. Was going for a Ryan Gossling look and did not realize how big my lips were...

LLq3Jxe.jpg

Eusis

I had to start a game as invite only, then from there I was able to get into other sessions after I got through the tutorial section.
I started a solo session but it'd still mess up just as the race event was about to be joined. Maybe in a few days it'll be fine, but they definitely needed a beta like it or not, maybe at least randomly select people at launch to play before the full rollout two weeks later or something.

p3tran

Banned
lmao! I can actually picture this. They know it's not going to work, but they already said Oct 1st. I can see lots of shaking heads and an air of defeat as the button is pressed. I can also see most of their staff not being allowed home last night.

Ouch. Poor bastards.
:)

I would picture them swimming in money scrooge mcduck style while having this conversation, instead of being suffocated by an "air of defeat"

photo thing was fixed after a week or so, same will happen with this too.

Ploid 3.0

Must be I've been kicked about 10 times when joining others instantly and now I've earned the 'Bad Sport' aka 'Quitter' rating which means I can only play with others of the same.

wow that's pretty messed up, and I hate being kicked because people forget to set rooms to private or they are trying to boost or whatever. In Socom and later MAG people would kick you over the littlest of things. All it takes is one of their buddies to vote for you to be kicked and urging the rest of them to do the same, "He's taking all of my kills, kick him guys!"

p3tran

Banned
question:

I tried to enter a friend's game, and an info window popped up saying that on that session a different control scheme is used (I dont use aim assist at all).
or something in those lines..

does this mean that online sessions are grouped by aim assist control scheme? pretty solid if it is like this..

Anyone from the UK tried again this morning? Just wondering if it's now a bit quieter you'd be able to get past the initial race?

Would love to try it but i'm at work at the moment, although I will be working from home this afternoon.

Gustav

Banned
Anyone from the UK tried again this morning? Just wondering if it's now a bit quieter you'd be able to get past the initial race?

Would love to try it but i'm at work at the moment, although I will be working from home this afternoon.

What console? I am playing on PS3 from Germany. No chance in hell. Not getting in at all.

Makabe

I tried on PS3, still nothing.

I'm not 100% sure since I haven't been able to play even a single minute on PS3 since yesterday. Lost characters, system freezes, you name it...

The thread in question: http://gtaforums.com/topic/609717-the-new-kicking-system-is-broken/
Um...this *edit*doesn't*edit* look like it's true in free roam. I don't have the heart to kick someone who's done nothing wrong... :

EDIT: ok, so I tried it. I hit kick and nothing happens I waited for like 5mins nothing. So I asked another player, they said they didnt see anything about kicking someone...

wizzbang

Banned
I'm in Australia, with AU copy, AU console, AU (EU) PSN account - no luck here, it says I can't host a game. My modem has UPnP functionality and, shrug. I dunno wtf! Y'know?

MavFan619

Banned

I only got as far as creating a character, which I had to do twice since the first one got erased somehow.

slash3584

Played for 3 hours yesterday without any problems (360/Germany).

Didn´t have the pop in in the intro that I saw in some strems BTW.

Can I change my appearance later? My Character looks like shit. Was going for a Ryan Gossling look and did not realize how big my lips were...

LLq3Jxe.jpg

Maybe later with a 5$ makeover card.

Gawge

UK PS3 - Tried again this morning. - still nothing.

Day 2 without a moment online.

I would have been fine with "teething issues" for the first day or two - but not working at all for 95% of people isn't "teething issues". Surely Rockstar knew what the demand would be like? Their income from units sold probably gave them a pretty good idea.

I did sort-of expect this (maybe not so bad), but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Tazo

LLq3Jxe.jpg

I've read on GTA Forums that after rank 5 you get (only) one opportunity to change your appearance. A few people confirmed.

Tazo

I´m Rank 5 and cant remember anything like that.

Hope it´s true though.

I think someone said the next time they started up GTA Online (after rank 5), they were given the option. It warns you that it's the final opportunity to change your appearance, too.

Edit: Someone else mentioned the same happened to them after rank 8. Maybe it's just a time based thing.

GlamFM

Banned
I think someone said the next time they started up GTA Online (after rank 5), they were given the option. It warns you that it's the final opportunity to change your appearance, too.

Edit: Someone else mentioned the same happened to them after rank 8. Maybe it's just a time based thing.

Thanks, will check later.

Siegmeyer

No joy on PS3. Created a character yesterday but that's as far as I've got. Gave up yesterday after 10 or so failed attempts to join a game. Tried 3 times this morning, nothing. I'm gonna sack it off until next week I think. Time to start Dark Arisen!

Top Bottom