• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

There is on missions type called Top Fun. It's a team of people on dirt bikes trying to get from the military base to the dock harbors. While the other team is trying to kill them. With rockets. From Jets.

It's so much fun having a jet in the sky trying to hit you with rockets and your just swerving in and out and doing jumps and just about anything you can to avoid them. It's intense.
That sounds great, it's a shame only one random joined my friends and it's missions. There's no mission matchmaking either right? You're stuck with your server's people?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I thought it was just me not getting on but by the sounds of things in this thread a huge majority of PS3 users can't get on. Now I feel the pain of PC gamers that bought D3 on release, granted atleast I can play single player, but still.

Ploid 3.0

I thought it was just me not getting on but by the sounds of things in this thread a huge majority of PS3 users can't get on. Now I feel the pain of PC gamers that bought D3 on release, granted atleast I can play single player, but still.

I almost want to believe about 20 PS3 people were able to play it. Only 3 of them can stream, and only 1 bothered to stream on twitch. 0 of them are gaffers.

That sounds great, it's a shame only one random joined my friends and it's missions. There's no mission matchmaking either right? You're stuck with your server's people?

You can invite people from (off the top of my head)
Anyone Online
Anyone on your current "server"
Friends Online
Friends List
Crew
Xbox live party
You can also make it Open or Closed, so Close it and invite people you know.
Maybe a couple of other options im forgetting.
Not that I could get any of them to work yesterday.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

feel? Not close enough. You couldn't even go SP in Diablo

kmg90

So the PS3 online is still "Interminently"/"Occasionally"/"sometimes" not working?

I swear someone at Rockstar pulled out a thesaurus when writing that "support" article...

eival

Has anyone else noticed that the graphics have taken a massive hit?

Also the pop-in is horrendous...

its the same as in IV, they had to scale down the enviroment to manage the 16 players possibly blowing things up and causing cops to spawn all on the screen at once.

if you play the "Solo" mode you load into the full single player map with all the environment assets and detail, problem is, you still have to connect to the servers and download mission data which as of yesterday kept autofailing as soon as it started. also if you dont plan on playing the stuff that requires more than 1 person it makes sense to just use that mode cause the HUD is less cluttered with all the TDMs

only issue is, it appears the only way to actually advance Lamar is to play a TDM to "show your gun skills" or whatever he says when you go thru the tutorial

Future

So have been playing for awhile. Looked at the prices of some apartments and stuff. 80000 and up. Take a look at my money: about 10 gs in the bank....with 12 gs already spent in hospital bills

HOLY SHIT. Was fuckin around having fun. Guess I was doing it wrong. Passive mode ftw

Ban Puncher

Can't get on with 360, deleted my online character and started afresh, lost all my Collector's Edition starting cash, still can't get on to play.

Stellar work, Rockstar. Enjoy my money.

Dabanton

Just got one with 4 hours on 360. The only wait was for the initial race and that was only for maybe 5 minute tops. I was surprised at how many people I was able to get in games with. I always had 15 other people in the open world part and there was hardly any lag. I'm definitely glad I waited till this late in the evening to try it.

Edit: I was also surprised at how little griefing there was in my match. I completed 4 jobs with other people on my team and we worked together pretty well and in the open world part people pretty much just drove right past me and kept going.
!

I think that's because the game warns you about bad players being put on a server to grief each other. I don't think anyone wants to be chucked onto a server with those sort of players this early.

That plus you need to work together on certain missons to rank up.

meep!

Neo Member
There is a PS3 system update now. Updating at the moment, hopefully this is something that has to do with GTAO and will make it work.

Edit: nevermind, was just a regular PSN update from a few hours ago. My bad.

So have been playing for awhile. Looked at the prices of some apartments and stuff. 80000 and up. Take a look at my money: about 10 gs in the bank....with 12 gs already spent in hospital bills

HOLY SHIT. Was fuckin around having fun. Guess I was doing it wrong. Passive mode ftw
80k is actually not that bad at all considering by just doing random shit I have like 15k in a short amount of time.

Oh and you get much more for robbing stores, I got 5k from one.

Laughing_Man__

Neo Member
So does more stuff open up as you play? All I can really do it the fetch missions death match and races along with robbing stores.

Also does it just take longer to level skills or do you have to do tasks?

Why an I being dropped in to a 16 person lobby when the race is only against Lamar?

Friend just text me saying it's working for him on 360, I'll try mine shortly.

Future

80k is actually not that bad at all considering by just doing random shit I have like 15k in a short amount of time.

I agree. The shocker is the hospital bills. I thought if I put money in the ATM I'd be safe in free roam, but nope. Hospital takes that shit right out of your bank.

So now when I see chaos in the open world I just book the other direction or make sure I have passive mode on. Way too stiff of a penalty considering how easy it is to die from random chaos

That said, its awesome seeing all the apartments you can buy. So many properties. Surprised this wasn't in the single player at all

Ploid 3.0

Fixed by a ps3 firmware patch?? That'd be really weird...

The online patch added that fix I think. PSN update did PSN stuff not related to GTAV.

tji1LYY.jpg

gossi

The PS3 firmware update has nothing to do with GTA. The GTA update yesterday fixed the garage issue (and then introduced other issues).

ViviOggi

There is a PS3 system update now. Updating at the moment, hopefully this is something that has to do with GTAO and will make it work.

I've downloaded that one two hours ago and it has nothing to do with GTA. All it does is rename the Playstation Network tab in XMB to PSN and some other minor PS fixes.

Still got the same errors everyone keeps getting occasionally in GTAO afterwards. Unless they've released another system update since then don't get your hopes up.

erawsd

I agree. The shocker is the hospital bills. I thought if I put money in the ATM I'd be safe in free roam, but nope. Hospital takes that shit right out of your bank.

So now when I see chaos in the open world I just book the other direction or make sure I have passive mode on. Way too stiff of a penalty considering how easy it is to die from random chaos

That said, its awesome seeing all the apartments you can buy. So many properties. Surprised this wasn't in the single player at all

So wait, if you die you can potentially lose all the money on you + have to pay hospital bills? Ouch

mxgt

Banned
Tried a shit load last night and before work this morning on PS3, no luck.

Kind of funny how developers never seem to be prepared for server load

Mik2121

Man, the online is so annoying... Haven't been able to play without issues not even once. First time the trigger to start the Rae wouldn't show up, now I get a Failed to join Job or Activity error.... ugh...and then I gt an error tht sends me back to single player, so there's a lot of loading screens all the time.

Future

Okay, just watched someone play a round of deathmatch on 360 and there's lock-on. Not just aim assist, pure auto lock. Makes competitive multiplayer completely and utterly pointless. There better be free aim lobbies added in the first update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkMQP0X1EIk&t=1m44s

It's just like the aim assist in single player. Pretty much locks on until you move the cursor away. It's more about getting the jump on someone then making minor adjustments for the headshot

I probably suck but even with lock on could barely kill anything before I got killed myself. Automatic guns are way too accurate long range

Laughing_Man__

Neo Member
So wait, if you die you can potentially lose all the money on you + have to pay hospital bills? Ouch
You can set it so you can't shoot people and people can't shoot you.

Sadly the biggest issue I have is some punk will kill me after an event say arm wrestling then run off and log off as I am about to kill him to get my money back.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Okay, just watched someone play a round of deathmatch on 360 and there's lock-on. Not just aim assist, pure auto lock. Makes competitive multiplayer completely and utterly pointless.

edit: just read the host may be able to force free aim in the match settings. anyone confirm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkMQP0X1EIk&t=1m44s

So what was that stuff people were saying yesterday about free aim being default? Ugh. Maybe it's just based on what aim you use in single player and matches you accordingly.

Ploid 3.0

Man, the online is so annoying... Haven't been able to play without issues not even once. First time the trigger to start the Rae wouldn't show up, now I get a Failed to join Job or Activity error.... ugh...

This is the bug, glitch, near 99% occurrence. People are trying to hit the powerball when they continue to try to log in. Maybe one more try and you will win the lotto.

kmg90

So the PS3 online is still "Interminently"/"Occasionally"/"sometimes" not working?

I'm guessing from the lack of getting answered nothing has changed? I don't want to boot up the game and go through it's lengthy startup process just to get errors thrown at me....

Future

I don't think you lose that much from the kill if you don't have lots of cash on you. But the hospital straight jacks you.

On the flip side, it gives reason to go on the aggressive and try to kill everyone. Everytime I was nice on the open world I got shot in the face. Free roam is deathmatch mode no doubt. You HAVE to kill first, it's just not worth it to take chances

Problem is that if you get a pair or tiny crew goin against you, your toast. Almost no chance in winning. So you kind of want to befriend someone...but who?? Lol

Where this gets fun is when you want to rob stores. Passive mode can't be on, and you have to escape the cops and whatever else is waiting for you. Too bad the fun takes a little dive when you look at the hospital bills. Life satire? Obamacare patch incoming?

erawsd

Tried a shit load last night and before work this morning on PS3, no luck.

Kind of funny how developers never seem to be prepared for server load

I think its less an issue about not being prepared and more an issue of not being willing to spend the money on servers that can handle the initial rush.

They'll apologise and talk about how surprised they were by demand.. but the truth is they are just waiting out the player base since a huge chunk are going to lose interest in the game after a week or two anyway.

Top Bottom