• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto |OT| NO GIANT SHARKS

dreamfall

New artwork and there's a pre-order bonus when pre-ordering the guide at GameStop.

7287-gta-v-michael-trevor-franklin-heist.jpg

Whoa neat!

Currently going through a replay of IV on the 360- found all those pigeons, did all the Stunt jumps- it's time for 100% for real this time!

And the Story is still awesome! Some of the complaints regarding the typical Alderney Mob crime are not unfounded, but I heartily enjoyed it all for the fourth time.

Raptomex

Since I already paid off my guides I went to GameStop today to see if I could get the lithograph and apparently we'll get it on release day. From what I read I though we were getting it with the pre-order.

dreamfall

Since I already paid off my guides I went to GameStop today to see if I could get the lithograph and apparently we'll get it on release day. From what I read I though we were getting it with the pre-order.

Hardcore Rapto, I love it! Good to know.

After all these years, I got serious and achieved my Key to the City in IV.

Right up there with my favorite achievements ever.

dreamfall

I just kept it all together. I'm was happy it wasn't a cheap piece of tin. It's really well made and came in a great case.

Aha how I wish ! I don't know what it was- I don't think I was ready to achieve it back then, and felt like it was a pretty daunting task. I mean even after completing San Andreas to the same level, finding and shooting those pigeons felt truly difficult. Good guide and all, some were really well hidden! It was a great tour of Liberty City though.

I also think I needed time to understand how different the game really was from last gen iterations- it had to marinate! After replaying TLAD & TBOGT multiple times, it was time!

So 5 years later, and physically keyless, my love for IV remains steadfast- like many of us here!

Has anyone wondered how a certain gta game would end if another protagonist from a different gta game was in it? For example, what if tommy was in SA instead of CJ. I honestly think tommy would just kill tenpenny on the spot really.

An interesting thought although Tenpenny had cops around him quite a bit both physically and spiritually.

There was an element of power being used to strong-arm CJ into doing his bidding but it wasn't until tensions run high between Tenpenny and Pulaski that things start to unravel, giving CJ an opportunity to divorce himself from that situation.
The department probably didn't back them like they once did and both of their drug habits start to muddy thing further.

I think even in the era of PS2 gen games where they're a little more over the top, it would end both ways for CJ and Tommy. If they lash out and kill a cop, then a manhunt ensues, and they skip town while on the run from cops.

Has anyone wondered how a certain gta game would end if another protagonist from a different gta game was in it? For example, what if tommy was in SA instead of CJ. I honestly think tommy would just kill tenpenny on the spot really.

For sure, it would have never worked out like it did if CJ wasn't CJ. CJ was so weak when he came back to the West coast, that being set up for killing and cop and being used as a pawn in Tenpenny's drug ring, was enough motivation to protect Tenpenny from CJ.

Tommy is so different, and he also had enough power where he would be running Las Venturas.

I've always been a little disappointed that there haven't been more tie-ins between the games. I would happily take some dissonance in the overall story to have some small mention of Vercetti's downfall in the early 1990s, leading to the forced mafia takeover of Las Venturas in San Andreas storyline. And, for sure, was very disappointed that Rockstar hit reset on all of their characters for GTAIV (minus a couple radio personalities).

Raptomex

Hopefully burglaries will make a return in V. I think it would be awesome to rob some houses up in Rockford Hills. Maybe some shootouts, similar to the end of Beverly Hills Cop.

An interesting thought although Tenpenny had cops around him quite a bit both physically and spiritually.

I think even in the era of PS2 gen games where they're a little more over the top, it would end both ways for CJ and Tommy. If they lash out and kill a cop, then a manhunt ensues, and they skip town while on the run from cops.

that is possible but only if there are witnesses. however, thinking about it now, it's more likely that tommy will have tenpenny killed earlier but before he leaves los santos and not immediately when they first meet. claude on the other hand.....

speaking of claude, does anyone think he survived long after gta 3? He does piss off most of the gangs by the end. If he did, most likely he left town quickly.

Hopefully burglaries will make a return in V. I think it would be awesome to rob some houses up in Rockford Hills. Maybe some shootouts, similar to the end of Beverly Hills Cop.

I think they will have burglaries in some fashion. i mean, you can raid atm machines so why not? as for shootouts, I think you will get your wish.

The thing about robberies is how do you make it interesting.

Break-ins were sorta cool because of the stealth element but to have any payoff/challenge to them they'd have to be mini-missions where you can have AI and certain situations in play.

I still want my Bully GTA where you play as a kid and pick pocket people and shit and eventually grow up through the ranks. Doubt they do that but it'd be fun.

dreamfall

I don't know why- but I woke up and started wondering about the melee combat.

I know in some of the trailers, we saw some new hard hitting attacks. I kind of am hoping for a Warriors-esque melee system, with counters. IV had included some of that, but often I felt like I was clumsily attacking! The fight club with Luis took me a couple tries to get through- but if it did one thing right, it allowed me to appreciate the distance necessary to throw a connecting punch, and the closeness necessary for shoving someone with a bat before they attacked.

It needs a complete overhaul!

Fuck, I just want this game. Badly.

Raptomex

New murals being painted in NYC. I was there in June and the boxart mural was covered up. I was so disappointed.

Milchjon

Any new footace/screens I missed over the past few days/weeks? I don't wanna wade through pages upon pages of stuff in the other thread ;-)

I think the V hype has gone to my head, planning on playing the 3D and HD universe games in chronological order:

• Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
  • Grand Theft Auto III
And then IV & the episodes using this mission order from GTA forums.

Gonna be a busy summer...

Whoa, busy indeed! Especially when you tackle the triumvirate of IV!

I remember that list, and thought it was amazing someone figured out where each mission takes place in the overarching saga.

On a side note: of the IV trilogy, I enjoyed Luis the most. It could have been because Mario D'Leon is such a cool guy IRL. He really had a blast bringing Luis to life (he also mo-capped for San Andreas/IV, IIRC). I wish Rockstar would bring him on board again, or if they made a GTA movie get him to reprise the role of Luis (who was also modelled after Mario).

Of the III pentalogy, while everyone crows about SA and VC, for some reason I'll always hold a special love for Vice City stories. To me, that game improved on everything Vice City did but got overlooked due to it being a PSP port and coming so late into the PS2's lifecycle.

Madness

Yeah, it's always been consistently like in top 15 games played the past 5+ years. Don't really know why. I don't think I played the multiplayer much after the second month after launch. Just got a bit stale.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's always been consistently like in top 15 games played the past 5+ years. Don't really know why. I don't think I played the multiplayer much after the second month after launch. Just got a bit stale.

Very easy to dip into with your mates. I've never not found a match.

What is your guys' favorite GTA V trailer thus far?

As much as I like the launch trailer, I gotta go with the "Skeletons" trailer.
Michael's "Radio Gaga" trailer is a very close second.

Both ooze character.

What is your guys' favorite GTA V trailer thus far?

As much as I like the launch trailer, I gotta go with the "Skeletons" trailer.
Michael's "Radio Gaga" trailer is a very close second.

Both ooze character.

Yeah, those two would probably be my favorite. Trevor would be a close third if only for that part at the beginning where he nails that guy in the head with a bat.

Fjordson

For me: reveal trailer > Michael > Franklin.

Franklin's had such a cool, city vibe to it. Like there's a shot of him just walking and it's at night with people hanging out behind him and apartment lights on in the distance. Really cool atmosphere to it. Can't wait to cruise around Franklin's area in the final game.

rallaren

Is car remodel patches exclusive to PC or can you do something similar on consoles, next gen perhaps?

It's still impossible or would be extremely expensive to use real car brands in a GTA game as I understand.

Fjordson

Is car remodel patches exclusive to PC or can you do something similar on consoles, next gen perhaps?

It's still impossible or would be extremely expensive to use real car brands in a GTA game as I understand.
Don't car companies also get a bit uneasy about licensing their cars when you can do bad shit to them? Like in GTA, there's full car damage, you can blow them up, you can do hookers in them, you can run over cops. Lots of mischief to get into with vehicles :lol

Raptomex

A feature worth noting. If a cop sees you driving a stolen car you will gain a wanted level. You have to change something on the vehicle to avoid it. There's a whole topic on GTAForums about it and it seems to be confirmed but I can't find the source. Was it in the recent previews?

Madness

Well as the technology has improved, so have the car models to the point now where they look very much like the cars they are based off in real life.

I also think they don't want to use real brands. This is Rockstar. They create their own brands, have their own names for everything. Besides, everyone knows a Cavalcade is an Escalade, a Banshee is a Viper etc.

Can't do anything on current consoles. Arguably could on nextgen, but I think it's unlikely.

On PC, it's relatively easy to convert a model to be something that works in a game and over-write that asset in the game. But... on a console, getting access to game files and being able to manipulate them is going to be very difficult or impossible w/o hacking the console.

It's technologically possible on any computer hardware that you can write to the files, but I think writing to the files on a console is something we'll probably never get.

I don't think that Rockstar would ever pursue real brands in a GTA game. They don't need to and it doesn't fit their MO. They want to create their own world and using fake brands lets them do that better.

Raptomex

Can't do anything on current consoles. Arguably could on nextgen, but I think it's unlikely.

On PC, it's relatively easy to convert a model to be something that works in a game and over-write that asset in the game. But... on a console, getting access to game files and being able to manipulate them is going to be very difficult or impossible w/o hacking the console.

It's technologically possible on any computer hardware that you can write to the files, but I think writing to the files on a console is something we'll probably never get.

I don't think that Rockstar would ever pursue real brands in a GTA game. They don't need to and it doesn't fit their MO. They want to create their own world and using fake brands lets them do that better.
Yeah, the Rockstar brands are awesome. Helps you get immersed in the world. Plus if they started using real brands they might have to get licensing and stuff. Or am I wrong?

Fjordson

Sounds silly, but the achievements have me even more excited. Won't spoil it for those who won't read them, but some of what's mentioned in there is really getting me hyped.

Fjordson

Yeah true, I'm not one to go for many online achievements.

But I love that there's going to be a quality suite of side activities. Even something simple like bounty hunting. I can't wait to go hunting for crazies out in the mountains as Trevor (I think they showed Trevor delivering a bounty alive in the gameplay video).

I don't want to read anymore about it tbh. I'm just ready to play.

The breadth of content is ridiculous.

I'm sure I'll have to expose myself to a lot of stuff for the OT.

Top Bottom