• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto |OT| NO GIANT SHARKS

Raptomex

I just started playing Max Payne 3 on PC. It performs surprisingly well. All maxed except only 2xMSAA and downsampling from 2560x1440 and I'm getting an almost perfect 60fps at all times. Hopefully that's at least partially a result of Rage Engine performance tweeks on PC and not just due to it's smaller scale.

As for how it plays, the game rips the control out of the players hands more than I like but it feels great when you are actually engaging in combat except for one issue, the aiming soft lock is a little too strong and I'm not sure if I'll enjoy free aim with a controller. I'm using a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard because I want to get a sense of how GTA V will play. For me, driving with a keyboard isn't something I enjoy, so I take the precision aiming hit so I can use the controller for driving.
Just embrace that combat gameplay. Then imagine it better and more fluid in GTA V. Same with enemy bullet hit reactions. It's glorious.

Took my comment a little too much to heart, I'm just saying that gamers coming from earlier games got frustrated for a lot of reasons.

Aye my bad -- I used to get so tired of the realism vs. jetpacks dichotomy in reference to GTAIV and previous GTA's

I know exactly the corner and u-turn you are talking about. My point is, what if Rockstar didn't intend for you to just drive whenever/wherever in traffic?

What if they purposely wanted these bottlenecks at times so you couldn't just ride into oncoming or go onto the grass but had to wait behind cops or traffic while at the toll booth?

Things like this weren't possible in the earlier games. My point with jetpacks and fantasy was about the unrealistic nature of travel in earlier games. And a lot of fans used to it weren't happy with two lane roads covered with traffic and lights and cop cars etc.

If Rockstar intended that corner in Bohan, then they missed a major usability issue that added a lot of tedium to that area. And if they wanted to add tedium, then that's bad game design. I don't think that all areas should be able to be cruised through, but that corner is not realistic, there are no highways in New York between metropolitan areas that end like that, there are almost none in the world, because it just doesn't exist. That's not driving wherever or whenever -- which is fine when you're in downtown manhattan (there's that other corner near the China town arcades on the fringe of the financial district in Manhattan where it's a high traffic left hand turn which results in an accident 90% of the time... But at least in that case, it makes sense, you're in downtown manhattan) -- but this is a region that is very poorly designed, enough so that the AI cars can't even navigate it... They get caught on themselves and pile-up, and the high percentage of police cars in that area make for a tedious drive through every time.

If it was unintentional to design that, then it's just sloppy. If they intentionally made an unrealistic intersection at a high traffic zone (that also happens to have zero immersion relevance, unlike something like Manhattan), so that the gamer is supposed to feel annoyed by it every time they drive through it, then it's terrible game design.

I don't think that not wanting that turn -- which was poorly designed eithr intentionally or unintentionally -- means that you want "unrealistic travel." That area (and other areas like it in the game) don't exist anywhere in real New York, or anywhere in the world. Not wanting that is not the same as wanting jetpacks and fighter jets.

(FWIW, there are dozens of other corners like this in the game, or areas where the road dips down and causes the car physics [which I like on the whole] to unrealistically lose control, but this is probably the most stated, highly traveled area for the player with that result).

They said they would reveal more news like weapon customization. Now something like that was pretty obvious to me. Silencers, scopes, etc. I think they even said that. But to actually say they're going to reveal more has me excited. It would be cool if we could have a weapon wall or storage this time around instead of just lying or floating around your safehouse after collecting a certain amount of hidden shit. We need something like this:
LET ME PUT SHIT IN MY TRUNK IVE BEEN ASKING SINCE VICE CITY

#AllCapsEqualsYelling

Sounds cool on paper, but could get annoying unless it's used for stuff like gun deliveries. I'd prefer the Red Dead System of having all weapons on you, and switchng through in the weapon wheel.

Raptomex

Sounds cool on paper, but could get annoying unless it's used for stuff like gun deliveries. I'd prefer the Red Dead System of having all weapons on you, and switchng through in the weapon wheel.

LET ME PUT SHIT IN MY TRUNK IVE BEEN ASKING SINCE VICE CITY

#AllCapsEqualsYelling
I want to be able to carry all the weapons like usual but I'm just saying I'd like to see a weapon wall or something instead of them just randomly spawning around the safehouse. And yes, storing extra in a trunk would be awesome.

Fjordson

This was confirmed for V from one of the previews in May. Can't remember which one. A Red Dead-esque weapon wheel with room for like 14 weapons and explosives. Might have some tweaks to it, but it sounds fairly similar to Red Dead.

Definitely happy about that. Having to cycle through weapons in IV was way less efficient than the wheel in RDR.

UrbanRats

This was confirmed for V from one of the previews in May. Can't remember which one. A Red Dead-esque weapon wheel with room for like 14 weapons and explosives. Might have some tweaks to it, but it sounds fairly similar to Red Dead.

Definitely happy about that. Having to cycle through weapons in IV was way less efficient than the wheel in RDR.

It also used 2 buttons, instead of one.
It was really a bad system.

Fjordson

It also used 2 buttons, instead of one.
It was really a bad system.
Yeah, it was. In the heat of battle trying to get to the weapon you wanted. Fuckin' aye.

I defend R* for a lot of things here on GAF, but combat in IV was just not good. Outdoors sometimes it was okay, but trying to navigate battles indoors was a nightmare. Especially in tight places and trying to duck in and out of cover. Bleh.

Replaying IV now and struggling with a lot of indoor gun battles, not dying but just being frustrated with the mechanics... locking on to guys who are completely irrelevant and having a tough time "unlocking" from them. The auto lock will lock onto some guys who are behind cover and not shootable and ignore the guy who just stood up in front of you.

Raptomex

Most Likely.
I doubt they'll have a raw gameplay video, it would look awkward, frankly.
Yeah. I still think it's going to be cinematic in some fashion. I doubt we'll just see what it would be like if someone was playing or a compilation of various play sessions.

Fjordson

Cool that the video is out tomorrow. Always enjoy sudden media releases from R*.

Edit: nice ribbon in your avy, Urban. My day has sort of been ruined with that news (Ryan Davis of Giant Bomb passed away for anyone unaware). I woke up and saw this and was excited, but then saw the news about Ryan and came crashing back down =[

UrbanRats

Edit: nice ribbon in your avy, Urban. My day has sort of been ruined with that news (Ryan Davis of Giant Bomb passed away for anyone unaware). I woke up and saw this and was excited, but then saw the news about Ryan and came crashing back down =[

I feel you man.
I usually don't do these ribbon things, but this was so unexpected. :\
I've been listening to the Bombcast and following GB for the last few years, and E3 was basically Giant Bomb's, so it was kind of brutal.

Fjordson

Gameplay video was great. Game looks like such a blast. Of course the topic on gaming is filled with so much stupidity and hyperbolic negativity, so I'll post this here:

-nighttime driving at around the 3:20 mark looked sublime
-combat looks worlds better than IV
-the music was fucking dope, still must know who the composer is
-bounty system? Similar to Red Dead I hope.
-buying stocks :lol this game will be packed to the brim with content
-stock exchange was called BAWSAQ
-I continue to be really impressed by the voice acting from all three protagonists

Trade envelopes?!

I don't think GameStop have any stores in the UK so that's the only way they're going to be able to do it (I wish others would do it too). The terms of purchase certainly aren't for everyone:

." You will be charged the full amount for the Grand Theft Auto: V standard editions at time of purchase but the entire purchase price, apart from £4.97, will be refunded to you on the return of your 2 games in accordance with the terms set out below. Your 2 games should be returned in the pre-paid envelope received, at the time of Grand Theft Auto: V purchase. For the offer to be valid each game should be returned to GameStop within 10 days of the date of receipt of Grand Theft Auto: V."

"Please note: This list is subject to change without notice. Please check back for the most up to date list closer to the release date of Grand Theft Auto: V which is September 17th."

Seems a bit dodgy to me but potentially a very good deal. Luckily I already got a great deal on a pre-order months ago.

Robso

So I've just begun GTA 3 on PC. Boy, are these controls difficult. To me, at least.

I got sick of the controls on the PS2, but I'm just wondering which is better to play it on? PC or PS2?

Mastah

I'm quite worried about car handling. In GTA IV it was almost perfect for me and the only enhancements needed were less understeer and traction control. From what I've seen in gameplay video it looks like steering input is way more responsive and overall it looks very arcadey, which is the last thing I want to see after IV :/

Raptomex

So I exploded my pants today due to the video and am I only one tired of entering a new GTA V thread and constantly seeing comments about next gen? People need to get over it and/or just be patient. Damn. Sorry, I've been wanting to get that out for a while.

Fjordson

So I exploded my pants today due to the video and am I only one tired of entering a new GTA V thread and constantly seeing comments about next gen? People need to get over it and/or just be patient. Damn. Sorry, I've been wanting to get that out for a while.
Certainly not the only one. The thread is a fucking headache.

"Yikes, looks like shit. Some bad textures, almost last gen textures really."

"Sorry, can't get hyped. Looks like it's running on a high end PC. Definitely too good to be true."

"Omg, same old Rockstar. Over dramatic cutscenes with string puppets."

"Hey man, it might not actually be PS3 footage. Look what happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines..."

The hyperbole and extreme contempt for Rockstar that seems to be all over GAF is truly bizarre to me. Will never understand it. I mean comparing Rockstar to the Colonial Marines devs? Huh??

Raptomex

Certainly not the only one. The thread is a fucking headache.

"Yikes, looks like shit. Some bad textures, almost last gen textures really."

"Sorry, can't get hyped. Looks like it's running on a high end PC. Definitely too good to be true."

"Omg, same old Rockstar. Over dramatic cutscenes with string puppets."

"Hey man, it might not actually be PS3 footage. Look what happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines..."

The hyperbole and extreme contempt for Rockstar that seems to be all over GAF is truly bizarre to me. Will never understand it. I mean comparing Rockstar to the Colonial Marines devs? Huh??
Rockstar will specifically say it's for PS360 and people refuse the info and spread comments about next gen. It's annoying. And it's every goddamn thread.

MattDoza

I wish I could resist watching, and go full blackout until release. But I'm not strong enough. I do it with movies and TV shows, but I can never make it with games.

Yeah, the stupid in the reveal thread kills me. Every page you have 1 or 2 people who say "I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THIS IS CURRENT GEN," and then someone quotes the 50 quotes from Rockstar, previews, etc., that all say it's current gen.. and the idiot replies with like, "It just isn't... It's not."

And then there's a reply 2 posts after that about how it looks so bad and how could they have taken 5 years to make something so ugly.

I don't get it.

HOWEVER --

Anybody get any new high res screens? Game Informer had those 2 new interviews which bth had low res, but new, screenshots in them. Also, the still on the YouTube video shows a guy on a motorcycle flying down a coastline (probably the Salton Sea), but I didn't see that scene in all of the 5mins. Looked sweet.

I am so hype tho, this video surpassed all the prevideo hype... really awesome. That tease of GTA:Online was so ill

Zep

Banned
Think they avoided showing car collisions because its not done(or at the time they made this trailer)? I remember a few previews saying there weren't any in the demo they saw.

Raptomex

I posted this in the other thread: I only hope side missions don't come to an end like in GTA IV. For example the assassination missions. They were cool but once you kill off everyone that's it. All over. They should have a set amount for 100% but you're still able to do more. And random spawn points. GTA IVs vigilante missions for example, I liked that they were infinite (minus the most wanted list) but the random ones always took me to the same locations.

Raptomex

Not sure if it was posted in the other thread but GTANet posted some new info from Game Informer.

- Overhaul of gun play to open up new styles of shooting while playing
- In addition to left and right aiming and triggering, there is run and shoot
- When engaged in combat, character's default speed switches to combat jog for improved mobility
- Each character's personality is reflected in their movements and use of weapons: Trevor's aggressiveness, Franklin's swagger and Michael's efficiency
- Gun play still GTA-based at core, but have used other studios to bring aspects of RDR and MP3 over
- Overhaul of aiming system to make game more immersive, split into 3 modes with hard lock removed: assisted, traditional and free aim
- Car can be used as cover by getting out and staying low to avoid exposure
- Wide range of weapon modifications available in Ammunation such as clips, grips, tints and other attachments
- Some missions request you to customise vehicles in a certain way, the rest is up for experimentation
- Vehicle customisation taken a lot further than in GTA SA
- Pay & Spray not in game - replaced by Los Santos Customs stores that are located throughout the map
- More than 1000 vehicle modifications available, both cosmetic and performance
- You can take a photo of your finished vehicle and upload it to Social Club

Zep

Banned
CVG commentary on the trailer...About an hour long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzdQ_o12rRM

Some really good stuff around the half hour mark. Like the FIB mission, where it seems like you're actually rescuing a guy for a heist mission.

edit: Seems CVG will be interviewing Rockstar North for tomorrow's show; nice.

Gacha-pin

If Rockstar actually brings MP3's shooting mechanics intact or with some improvements, I can spend hours just shooting cops and gangs.

And Arcade mode(NYM) like mode should be added with a level editor, I mean it's not a full level editor, just placing check points freely and set a time limit etc).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If Rockstar actually brings MP3's shooting mechanics intact or with some improvements, I can spend hours just shooting cops and gangs.

It looks like it. All that training in MP3's multiplayer will pay off. Preparing myself for the usual cries of "pistol n00b" already. :)

GlamFM

Banned
I might step back from GTA conversation for a while since I think I know everything I needed to.

Yesterdays gameplay reveal was more than I ever expected.

This will be the GTA I wanted, the one I´ve been waiting for since GTA San Andreas.

I'd love to be able to step back from it but I can't. It's only 2 months away and I've got plenty of game content to hold me over (just picked up NCAA '14 yesterday), but goddam, whenever new content for this comes out I need it.

I think the only other big reveal will be the multiplayer. And I will be all about that MP reveal.

Definitely gonna take some time off from work to play this.

Raptomex

I just read the thread on CVG news and it really backs up my thoughts that the scope of this game is insane. I've never seen a developer go so far to include so many things and make them worthwhile and not just pile shit in. Plus all the little things like animations, realistic physics, bullet hit reactions. I really have never seen a developer go this far. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Rockstar and GTA fan, I've never actually played a game or seen a game with this much ambition. I'm so excited.

Zep

Banned
I just read the thread on CVG news and it really backs up my thoughts that the scope of this game is insane. I've never seen a developer go so far to include so many things and make them worthwhile and not just pile shit in. Plus all the little things like animations, realistic physics, bullet hit reactions. I really have never seen a developer go this far. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Rockstar and GTA fan, I've never actually played a game or seen a game with this much ambition. I'm so excited.

The Yakuza games do the same thing when it comes to content. I can spend 40+ hours on those games and not even know it.

Raptomex

The Yakuza games do the same thing when it comes to content. I can spend 40+ hours on those games and not even know it.
I've heard of them. Never played any. Besides Nintendo, Rockstar is my favorite developer and I can get immersed and lost in all their worlds. V is shaping up to be the ultimate experience for me so far.

Top Bottom