• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto |OT| NO GIANT SHARKS

Raptomex

I didn't read them for the sake of spoilers. To anyone that did
can you tell me if there's an achievement for beating the game within 24 hrs.? I did it in GTA IV but the thought of it bothers me. I want to take my time. Go at my own pace.

Peco

So good.

Kifflom!
Complete your path to enlightenment... or not.
Altruist Acolyte
Deliver an unsuspecting victim to the Altruist Cult.

UrbanRats

I don't want to read anymore about it tbh. I'm just ready to play.

The breadth of content is ridiculous.

I'm sure I'll have to expose myself to a lot of stuff for the OT.
Yeah i'm not even reading the achievements.

I want the radio list, one last cinematic launch trailer and then the goddamn game.

I've already seen too much, i feel.

sunnz

Has anyone else experienced the amazingness that is GTA: Vice city Stories?

It mixes the best of VC and SA ( content wise) into one world.
Great weapons, vehicles, missions, characters and awesome activities and such. I have the psp ( on the vita) version so the radio station isn't as good sadly, but still quite a lot of awesome music on the radio.

Love the whole empire addition too ( attack enemy bases, once destroyed you can buy that building and make it either a drug base, brothel, insurance place and a few other options). Also unlocks extra activities.
SO good and wish V has something similar.
This is what GTA should be IMO, not so much a revenge tale, more so making an empire ( haven't completed it yet, so not sure how it ends)

Just having such a good time playing it.

Honestly, probably the second best GTA for me ( sa >vcs > IV) and only let down by the boring map that is Vice city.

Has anyone else experienced the amazingness that is GTA: Vice city Stories?

It mixes the best of VC and SA ( content wise) into one world.
Great weapons, vehicles, missions, characters and awesome activities and such. I have the psp ( on the vita) version so the radio station isn't as good sadly, but still quite a lot of awesome music on the radio.

Love the whole empire addition too ( attack enemy bases, once destroyed you can buy that building and make it either a drug base, brothel, insurance place and a few other options). Also unlocks extra activities.
SO good and wish V has something similar.
This is what GTA should be IMO, not so much a revenge tale, more so making an empire ( haven't completed it yet, so not sure how it ends)

Just having such a good time playing it.

Honestly, probably the second best GTA for me ( sa >vcs > IV) and only let down by the boring map that is Vice city.

This is the GTA I've played the least. I've never finished this or Liberty City Stories (I have the PS2 versions). I was going to 100% both games earlier this year, but got burnt out playing Liberty City Stories, so I never made it to VCS. Maybe something to do later today.

Fjordson

I've never played Liberty City or Vice City Stories. I want to sometime. GTA is basically my favourite gaming series, but I've never played those for whatever reason. I guess 'cause they were handheld games initially and I haven't owned a handheld system since the Gameboy Advance.

They're a tremendous disappointment, IMO.

LCS might be worth your time because there aren't all the weird graphics and crap controls from III but it's still not great.
Both games try to fit into the prior games' mold and it just doesn't work.

I didn't care for the empire stuff in VCS. Thought it was uninteresting and a chore.

sunnz

They're a tremendous disappointment, IMO.

LCS might be worth your time because there aren't all the weird graphics and crap controls from III but it's still not great.
Both games try to fit into the prior games' mold and it just doesn't work.

I didn't care for the empire stuff in VCS. Thought it was uninteresting and a chore.

It is something you either love or hate, since it does require some effort form you ( like when they get attacked)

Like territories from GTA SA in a sense.

deli2000

It is something you either love or hate, since it does require some effort form you ( like when they get attacked)

Like territories from GTA SA in a sense.

Ugh. I did not like the way they did Gang Warfare in San Andreas at all. And for all the shit IV gets, San Andreas had a lot more alerts, progress bars and phone calls that were annoying and achieved nothing.

Not to knock SA though. It's just curious that people don't remember that.

Fjordson

Ugh. I did not like the way they did Gang Warfare in San Andreas at all. And for all the shit IV gets, San Andreas had a lot more alerts, progress bars and phone calls that were annoying and achieved nothing.

Not to knock SA though. It's just curious that people don't remember that.
Lmao, I actually agree.

To be honest, I've never been in love with San Andreas like most people. I mean don't get me wrong, I think it's a classic, but there was plenty of stuff in the game that I was apathetic towards. Definitely not my favourite in the series.

UrbanRats

Everything that you have to conquer and routinely gets "under attack" is fucking horrible for me.

I like conquering parts of the map, but after i'm done, i don't want to have to run up and down every 2 seconds.

sunnz

Everything that you have to conquer and routinely gets "under attack" is fucking horrible for me.

I like conquering parts of the map, but after i'm done, i don't want to have to run up and down every 2 seconds.

Yea that was annoying in SA, one of the issues I had since areas got attacked quite a lot.

In VCS, the buildings don't get attacked that much, in the 15 or so hours I have put into the game, only twice have they been attacked, so not really all that bad.

To be honest, I've never been in love with San Andreas like most people.
Vice City man, then?

San Andreas is definitely a game that's better in memory than in reality.
It has a lot of flaws but most of them are overlooked because it's so much fun.

VCS is very underrated. Excellent game.
What did you like about it? I obviously don't and am curious.

I liked LCS much better, I think.

UrbanRats

VC > III > SA > IV.

Though it's almost impossible to separate the context in which i played those games from their actual quality.
I mean San Andreas was a monster of a game, in terms of content, it would take two posts to bullet point all of its stuff, however it was also the third entry and it lost focus after you got out of Los Santos (up to which was probably one of my favorite GTAs).

So yeah, it's hard to think about GTAIII without over-imposing the feels it gave me driving around those rainy streets for the first time.

But at the end of the day, i like them all in some respect, even GTAIV.

Vice City was fairly varied and expanded on the intial idea enough, but also kept it "in character" from start to finish.

Agreed there, that really annoyed me. I've done it so many times though that I've figured out the pattern. Usually they attack 1 of 3 spots, and they do it every 2 1/2 captures. If you can get to the zones quick enough you can get 3 captures in before 1 attack, save immediately after stopping the attack.

Stick to taking out one gang first, because they usually will only attack territory that you've taken from them (usually). So I'd usually go after the Ballas completely, and eliminate them down to 1 or 2 territories in a centralized part of the map, and then go after the Vargas. In a few hours you can control the whole of Los Santos and then they can't attack you anymore.

I was obsessed with San Andreas.

San Andreas is my favorite and I really did enjoy the story through and through, but like most think, I think the story goes:

Vice City -> III -> San Andreas -> IV.

I still like San Andreas story, I love it actually, but the narrative in VC and III was a lot more tight, and the side-stories never took precedence over the main narrative... which in San Andreas, they did completely.

BTW -- if anybody is wondering, GTAV Special Edition is now delivering on Tuesday Sept 17 from Amazon. For a few months that had a Thursday delivery date as the earliest. I was going to cancel my spec edition (I Preordered both and was going to wait to see if it updated).

SO now it looks like Spec Edition has release day shipping as well.

UrbanRats

Vice CIty had a much better story then San Andreas

If San Andreas didn't go crazy with it, it wouldn't have been worse than Vice City's, imo.
Infact, i like the premise a bit more.
Though Vice City's story simply landed itself better to the empire building mechanic of the game.
In San Andreas it all felt kind of out of place, once you escaped from Los Santos.

Raptomex

BTW -- if anybody is wondering, GTAV Special Edition is now delivering on Tuesday Sept 17 from Amazon. For a few months that had a Thursday delivery date as the earliest. I was going to cancel my spec edition (I Preordered both and was going to wait to see if it updated).

SO now it looks like Spec Edition has release day shipping as well.
I have a few copies ordered online and I was wondering how that worked. If I would get it on release date or what. I wonder if Rockstar Warehouse will deliver my stuff on release date.

UrbanRats

I pre-ordered the special edition from the R* Warehouse months ago, i hope they don't fuck it up, i never bought anything there.

Fjordson

R* Warehouse has been dependable for me and super quick. Haven't gotten an actual game there before, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

I usually buy games from Amazon, but I pre-ordered my special edition at GameStop. I want to go to the midnight release and play a bunch that night :lol I never buy at brick and mortar stores these days, but I had to for this one. Did the same thing for Red Dead Redemption and the last WoW expansion so I could get them at midnight.

The 15th is going to be an exhausting ass day.

I'm running a half marathon in a city I don't live in, have to go back home/get ready for work, and the midnight launch.

I bet I'll play until 6 AM.

Raptomex

R* Warehouse has been dependable for me and super quick. Haven't gotten an actual game there before, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

I usually buy games from Amazon, but I pre-ordered my special edition at GameStop. I want to go to the midnight release and play a bunch that night :lol I never buy at brick and mortar stores these days, but I had to for this one. Did the same thing for Red Dead Redemption and the last WoW expansion so I could get them at midnight.
I usually buy from Amazon as well but this is the first time I pre-ordered a game from R* Warehouse. Free shipping was cool. Just not sure if it will get here on release day. From what I've heard, it should.
The 15th is going to be an exhausting ass day.

I'm running a half marathon in a city I don't live in, have to go back home/get ready for work, and the midnight launch.

I bet I'll play until 6 AM.
Lol. I will not be sleeping after the midnight launch. At least until the next night. I have the week off, though so it's not like I have much to do.

There's one that seems to reference a game mode.
Freaks And Strangers
, which my guess is the bounty missions.

RDRs secret achievements were mostly story related but there were a couple of whimsical ones too.

I won't read GTA Vs secret achievements until after I beat the story.

I can't wait for that week. I am presiding over a wedding for my in laws' family on the 14th, which I am pretty much dreading... so much goddam work to do for that. GTA's Sept 17 release date is like my "reward" for the hassle that weekend is going to be.

Pennybags

There's one that seems to reference a game mode.
Freaks And Strangers
, which my guess is the bounty missions.

Actually, I'd think those are probably
the random mini-mission encounters with people in the world, like in GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption

UrbanRats

you think there's a chance they'll ship it a bit earlier, so it gets here on time for release? Having to wait a week for it to come here, when everyone is playing the game, would be torture (though i'm used to it, since that's usually what Amazon UK takes).

Horns

I played through GTA IV + Episodes and now am about half way through RDR. Then I'll turn my attention to Max Payne 3.

Each subsequent RAGE title borrows from the last release and improves on it. Despite playing all these titles previously, the improvements become more noticeable when you play them back to back.

Raptomex

I played through GTA IV + Episodes and now am about half way through RDR. Then I'll turn my attention to Max Payne 3.

Each subsequent RAGE title borrows from the last release and improves on it. Despite playing all these titles previously, the improvements become more noticeable when you play them back to back.
Exactly. I predicted GTA Vs gameplay would be similar to MP3 and I was right.

So Amazon just upgraded my GTAV SE to release day shipping. They weren't offering it until now, and I remember someone on GAF commenting that Amazon said their SE and CE orders would be coming in later than the Standard version. So YAY.

Now I'm hoping that they'll ship it early like they did my GTAIV SE and I'll end up playing the game on Friday or Monday before release.

Do we know how the wanted system works in V? I know cops have line of sight and the escape radius is back, but I'm hoping we get some RDR aspects. Like having a persistent bounty or notoriety, being able to pay off/kill witnesses, maybe be able to bribe cops to turn a blind eye, etc.

UrbanRats

6WqJPrKl.jpg

Franklin invades Japan.

Do we know how the wanted system works in V? I know cops have line of sight and the escape radius is back, but I'm hoping we get some RDR aspects. Like having a persistent bounty or notoriety, being able to pay off/kill witnesses, maybe be able to bribe cops to turn a blind eye, etc.

We don't know much more about it other than the line of site and escape radius.

I wouldn't think that the bounty payoff would be included because it really only fits RDR. Nobody pays bounties anymore and the bounty system really works when you have isolated regions without communication lines, like different isolated towns in Mexico have a bounty for you, but they don't transfer around the country.

For some reason I thought I remembered reading that witnesses to a crime will call in 9-1-1 on their cell phone to report a crime similar to witnesses, but that coulda been rumor talk back in the day.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I wouldn't think that the bounty payoff would be included because it really only fits RDR. Nobody pays bounties anymore and the bounty system really works when you have isolated regions without communication lines, like different isolated towns in Mexico have a bounty for you, but they don't transfer around the country.

For some reason I thought I remembered reading that witnesses to a crime will call in 9-1-1 on their cell phone to report a crime similar to witnesses, but that coulda been rumor talk back in the day.

Doesn't seem that far fetched considering there are playable bounty hunting missions in the game. Quite a lot of open empty areas, too.

Being attacked by a bunch of Bounty Hunters in Blackwater Hotel when I loaded up once really took me by surprise. Probably one of the best shootouts I ever had with that game.

Also:

dog-the-bounty-hunter.jpg

"Go with Christ, brah."

Dog confirmed?

Well Trevor is a bounty hunter, so who knows? And there are bounties in MP. But maybe something like a notoriety system would work better?

But taking a page from Mafia 2 or RDR and allowing you to pay off cops and witnesses could be really cool. Another use for your money

Line of sight is going to be great. Now I can go all Drive on the LSPD, hide in a back alley and switch cars, etc. Like a real professional

Hell yeah, preordered. Now I only have to wait till 3am on the 18th (for us East Coast gamers)

Also:
ESRB Rating Summary:

In this open-world action game, players assume the role of three criminals whose storylines intersect within the fictional city of Los Santos. Players can switch between each character to follow his storyline, completing missions which often include criminal activities (e.g., stealing cars, executing heists, assassinating targets). Players use pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, and explosives to kill various enemies (e.g., rival gang members); players also have the ability to shoot non-adversary civilians, though this may negatively affect players' progress as a penalty system triggers a broad police search. Blood-splatter effects occur frequently, and the game contains rare depictions of dismemberment. In one sequence, players are directed to use various instruments and means to extract information from a character; the sequence is intense and prolonged, and it involves some player interaction (i.e., responding to on-screen prompts).

The game includes depictions of sexual material/activity: implied fellatio and masturbation; various sex acts that the player's character procures from a prostitute—while no nudity is depicted in these sequences, various sexual moaning sounds can be heard. Nudity is present, however, primarily in two settings: a topless lap dance in a strip club and a location that includes male cult members with exposed genitalia in a non-sexual context. Within the game, TV programs and radio ads contain instances of mature humor: myriad sex jokes; depictions of raw sewage and feces on a worker's body; a brief instance of necrophilia (no nudity is depicted).

Some sequences within the larger game allow players to use narcotics (e.g., smoking from a bong, lighting a marijuana joint); cocaine use is also depicted. Players' character can, at various times, consume alcohol and drive while under the influence. The words “f**k,” “c*nt,” and “n**ger” can be heard in the dialogue.

zychi

Banned
I see the psn version is available for pre-order. Any word on the actual size of the download? PSN only has the 1.5mb pre-order download right now.

I see the psn version is available for pre-order. Any word on the actual size of the download? PSN only has the 1.5mb pre-order download right now.
According to what I've read on GTAForums, around 16GB. What seems much lower than I expected, so don't quote me on that.

NVM: on the Newswire comments, saw 15.82GB. Which means 32 needed to install, I believe

Top Bottom