• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

NeoGiff

One of the most over-reactioned moments in gaming. I heard people say they felt ill, some people quit the game, some people complained to R*...

It was a weak scene, didn't cringe or anything at all. If you've seen movies like Saw and whatever, then this shouldn't be a big deal at all. Heck, even the self-torture scene in Heavy Rain was MUCH worse.

This, this, this. I honestly don't get the disgusted reactions from people, especially in the context of the game that's being played.

Pandemic

Jesus, I'm up to The Paleto Score mission, and damn, is that one awesome mission...

That massive chain gun, unleashing it on police was awesome fun haha.

Heimbeck

Banned
One of the most over-reactioned moments in gaming. I heard people say they felt ill, some people quit the game, some people complained to R*...

It was a weak scene, didn't cringe or anything at all. If you've seen movies like Saw and whatever, then this shouldn't be a big deal at all. Heck, even the self-torture scene in Heavy Rain was MUCH worse.

Yep I agree, but people will complain about anything like that religious part at the begging of Bioshock.

is it really true that to use/teach Chop you have to own an iPhone? that cannot be fucking true. i've ALWAYS wanted a dog companion in GTA, and now it's finally there.. but i have to go out and buy an iPhone first? WHAT?? where can i send Rockstar the biggest "fuck you" letter i can come up with?

why can't i just teach Chop tricks and use his abilities IN THE FUCKING GAME???

i'm livid. i need someone to tell me i can just play the game and go searching for collectibles with Chop and do other things with him (which i haven't spoiled for myself yet), without having to go buy an expensive phone.

also, so this is a spoiler thread now? people talking about some torture scene without spoiler tags. change the thread title if spoilers are fair game here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow.. erm..

I just got to THAT torture scene.

I really do not know how I feel about that. They kind of went a bit too far and it genuinely made me feel bad, but at least that part's over.

Cringing the whole time.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't of been there, i'm just saying I felt slightly disturbed but got over it pretty quickly.

I had an extensive conversation about this with a friend. Clearly Rockstar's vision for that scene was to create discomfort. I felt bad for the guy and didn't want to pull out teeth so I let off on it but it became clear that they wanted you to feel uncomfortable like in movies where the director wants to invoke a reaction. Clearly it worked and I moved on fast. I wasn't scarred but it adds to the exposition of a character like Trevor who is something else.

This game really ties the story together really well. I just to the part where Trevor wakes up
in the beach in his underwear with a few dead people around him. You can tell shit is hitting the fan with him and he may be going even crazier after he finds out about Brad.

It's interesting how Trevor wants to be accepted and I hope that he finds some happiness with that Escobar's wife who's name escapes me.

It's interesting because we all know Trevor is a scumbag but Rockstar has written his character to almost have some sympathy as he notes that he had a bad childhood and hints at being abused. You don't excuse his radical behavior but you see why his past has shaped him to be the way he is now.

I'm also happy to see Michael
has got his family back but as I posted in an earlier post after the therapy, I had to kind of laugh because I like that Michael is getting into a happy place but I fear that his bubble might burst.

Regarding Franklin,
I thought that he was a straggler and kind of was just tagging along in the earlier parts of the game. More of a follower than some focal point in the story. I think that's changed a little as he seems to have found this place as a good anchor between Michael and Trevor. I find his usefulness in the story to be more profound as you progress in the game. He's still my least favorite out of the main 3 but he has proved to be important to the story and not just tossed in there for a cliche.

I hope the game has some closure and isn't just bad news. I don't want to read a spoiler telling me it's going to be alright or shit goes to hell even further so don't tell me :p

Dizzle24

Ugh, my game must have glitched a while back or something. I never got an email for the first first bail bond mission with the guy's info. I went to where he's supposed to be and didn't see him. What I do have is an email from Maude asking why I haven't caught him yet.
Same here. When I first got the message to look for him in a quarry, there wasn't an indicator on the map, so I have no idea where to look. I just gave up. Then I got a message from Maude saying "time is running out to find him" but I still have no idea where to look.
I hope there is a patch before I finish the game, because I'm not sure who or what will be available post-game's end.

I just noticed my accuracy rating with Michael is a measly 5%. How is that even possible. :lol

Also just noticed Trevor has a windows phone-lookalike. Guy's got taste.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. When I first got the message to look for him in a quarry, there wasn't an indicator on the map, so I have no idea where to look. I just gave up. Then I got a message from Maude saying "time is running out to find him" but I still have no idea where to look.
I hope there is a patch before I finish the game, because I'm not sure who or what will be available post-game's end.
Think I might have this as well

torontoml

There is a picture in the first email.

StuBurns

Banned
I was just doing Yoga in the hills at sunset. It must be frustrating for R* at times to hear the constant shit about being a 'murder simulator', when it's also the most impressive and beautiful simulated world anyone has ever made.

In a way, I wouldn't even mind a GTA game without crime, like Home but not shit. Little things like the wild dogs on the hills hurt that tranquil experience a little. Even if they're easy to kill.

nib95

Banned
Ok, so I found the Adder (Bugatti Veyron Supersport) for Franklin, bought the Entity XF (Koenigsegg Agera R) for Michael and the Cheetah (Pagani Zonda/LaFerrari) for Trevor.

Veyron:

Fastest car in the game. No body upgrade options. Great handling, but the vehicle is a little bulky and wider so fitting through tight spaces etc is trickier than with the others. Does appear to take more damage than the others, so is durable for what it is.

Koenigsegg:

Best looking. Very low profile and not so wide. Amazing handling and almost every bit as fast as the Veyron. Car is still fairly boxy and can take good damage. Lots of upgrade options including body parts.

Zonda:

Very sleek looking, almost like a LeMans car. Extremely fast and holds the road better than any of the others due to extreme low profile, which makes up for the unnoticeably slower speed. Feels the quickest despite not being so. Small size and weight means it can weave in and out easy, but also takes less damage than the others, and is ever so slightly twitcher. Body upgrade options include rear exhausts and spoiler.

My personal pick? Probably the Koenigsegg (Entity XF).

Sonix90

Neo Member
I have the feeling that GTA: Online will have a lot of new, good features that could easily be implemented in the single-player mode, but for some reason were limited to online exclusive, which is kind of bullshit. We already know about the safehouses - sure, with quick save the would've seem as kind of redundant, but then egain, all that extra garage space! But nope, only online it seems...

I'm 25 hours in, loved every minute of it, but the longer I play the more flaws I see (duh). I guess every GTA game had a lot of missed opportunities. Someone already pointed out that the most of the properties you can buy can't possibly redeem themselves financially, especially the cinemas. If they brought back taxi missions, why not the rest of vehicle missions as well? Stealth isn't very useful - wouldn't it be cool if you could try to sneak up at the military base (like in that SA mission) to steal something without instant 4 stars on you ass? Burger Shots, Cluckin' Bells, hot dog stands, all turned unusable. I could steal the train in SA, here not so much... etc. etc. Most of the stuff is nothing that major, but could've been easily fixed.

Question about the LS airport: is there a point in the game where I won't be chased by the police if I attempt to set my foot there? I assume I have to buy the hangar first but I'm not sure. In SA all it took was to complete flight school, which I haven't done yet. And I hate the fact that no matter how long you stay hidden at the airport, the police won't stop looking.

Alienous

I was just doing Yoga in the hills at sunset. It must be frustrating for R* at times to hear the constant shit about being a 'murder simulator', when it's also the most impressive and beautiful simulated world anyone has ever made.

In a way, I wouldn't even mind a GTA game without crime, like Home but not shit. Little things like the wild dogs on the hills hurt that tranquil experience a little. Even if they're easy to kill.

Avoiding the missions, you can play GTA V without having to kill anyone. And it even contextually fits. Your therapist
will remark on how well you are doing
. There are certainly enough activities.

Lima

Question about the LS airport: is there a point in the game where I won't be chased by the police if I attempt to set my foot there? I assume I have to buy the hangar first but I'm not sure. In SA all it took was to complete flight school, which I haven't done yet.

You need to buy the hangar.

Derrick01

Banned

Shit those have time limits on them? Rockstar broke the golden rule of open world games.

Guess I better start looking.

There should be a post-game reward of some kind of pheremone you can equip and just walk around the animals like a ghost :D

Pooya

just rolled onto the highway
with my tank
and charged straight into the military base at night, damn the fireworks are beautiful, the airfield lights up too, very impressive scene. The fighter jets actually come out of hangers and take off, I'm not sure if they were after me, hah. Too bad about the framerate, it just died.

Arucardo

They're vague on purpose, like the treasure maps in RDR. Look at the map you got with the game (unless you bought digital that is), wasn't that hard to find the quarry on it (the kind with huge machinery in it and such).

Coldsnap

I'm not sure why but; (20% into the game spoiler)

I thought the scene where Micheal is falling over the city was one of the best scenes this generation. It was so beautiful and the music was perfect.

Derrick01

Banned
How do you view your playtime?

I think you just add the time of the 3 characters together to get it. Also I'm almost 100% sure the clock stops when you're in the menu so you don't have to worry about that inflating it.

No there is no time limit. You can do them anytime you want.

That person sending emails about time running out implies there's some kind of time limit, even if it's really long.

Sonix90

Neo Member
They're vague on purpose, like the treasure maps in RDR. Look at the map you got with the game (unless you bought digital that is), wasn't that hard to find the quarry on it (the kind with huge machinery in it and such).

The best thing to do it, if you can't find it, is take the plane and spy around the area until you find it, especially since you get the "bird's view" photos from Maude. Helped me discovering the barn where the second guy was hiding.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ok, so I found the Adder (Bugatti Veyron Supersport) for Franklin, bought the Entity XF (Koenigsegg Agera R) for Michael and the Cheetah (Pagani Zonda/LaFerrari) for Trevor.

Veyron:

Fastest car in the game. No body upgrade options. Great handling, but the vehicle is a little bulky and wider so fitting through tight spaces etc is trickier than with the others. Does appear to take more damage than the others, so is durable for what it is.

Koenigsegg:

Best looking. Very low profile and not so wide. Amazing handling and almost every bit as fast as the Veyron. Car is still fairly boxy and can take good damage. Lots of upgrade options including body parts.

Zonda:

Very sleek looking, almost like a LeMans car. Extremely fast and holds the road better than any of the others due to extreme low profile, which makes up for the unnoticeably slower speed. Feels the quickest despite not being so. Small size and weight means it can weave in and out easy, but also takes less damage than the others, and is ever so slightly twitcher. Body upgrade options include rear exhausts and spoiler.

My personal pick? Probably the Koenigsegg (Entity XF).

Try the Tesla knock-off before you judge. It's called Voltis Amperis or something like that.

Acceleration is out of this world, handling is incredibly good and it's glued to the road.

Peff

That person sending emails about time running out implies there's some kind of time limit, even if it's really long.

No, it implies most testers were doing something else the first time they got the message and completely forgot about it because it's not a map marker.

Sonix90

Neo Member
He already has one, the Sandy Shores Hangar.

Yeah, but since he can't buy one by the LS Airport, he's always "violating airspace" and chased by the police when he get's there. Tried to land Shamal with Trevor today and got 3 stars before I touched the ground.

I get it's "realism" but they should have kept that just for the military base, like in San Andreas.

Megasoum

Banned
Try the Tesla knock-off before you judge. It's called Voltis Amperis or something like that.

Acceleration is out of this world, handling is incredibly good and it's glued to the road.

Also, since it doesn't have a traditional transmission (it's one long gear) then you can go up mountains at crazy speeds.

duckroll

Imagine the outrage if GTA5 turned out to be a midlife crisis simulator where you just play as Michael, and all the Heists and Missions are a game-in-game which he plays on his TV.

Raxious

Went to their factory

No trucks, destroy some of the trucks on the road, nothing happened

It's really tough to do, I ended up just wrecking trucks at the factory, and trucks seem to spawn quite often their if you're at the right time. I also took the liberty of running over the workers there.

But yea, my profit went from 1.2 to 1 in less then a minute, so it's really hard to do.

Alienous

So, some of the supposed leaked information regarding GTA Online is pretty cool. Spoiler tagged for the sensitive. Taken from the disc, I believe.

A lot of new info. Nothing related to story spoilers or the end game, however.
- The game has the following game modes: "DM", "TDM", "Races" and "CnC" (which is assumed to mean 'Cops 'n Crooks') in addition to "Freemode". The last option on the list is for the "Content Creator"
- There is also, apparently, a "CO-OP" mode limited to two players.
- There are details of missions. One is called "Battle Buddies" where you can call friends to back you up during a mission.
- There's a cinema mode. It could be related to watching chases, or watching movies at a theater with friends.
- There are fairground scripts, so you can visit the pier and go on rides with friends.
- It seems that Cops 'n Crooks has missions within it. For instance, the criminals might be told to assassinate a military official at a prison, whilst a cop might have to arrest NPCs or other players.
- One mission in particular stands out. A crook is designated a targeted who is either a criminal or a cop, and the police have to track him down before he kills he's target.
- One mission describes the classic Cops 'n Crooks, with criminals having to get away on a boat.
- Another mission has the Crooks try to blow up a strip club with a car bomb. It seems like a mix of Team Mafia Work and Cops 'n Crooks from GTA IV.
- Cops 'n Crooks seems to be a spin on "Freemode". Your cash can get stolen by other crooks. They can attack your safehouse and steal your loot.
- Police have a prestige meter. You are rewarded more significantly, and given bigger crimes to solve, if you avoid killing pedestrians and generally act like a responsible member of society.
- Cops can use a scanner to detect stolen vehicles that crooks may have taken.
- Cops have a locker room where they can change outfits, and level-up to higher outfits. (Probably N.O.O.S.E, FIB etc).
- Cops have territories to patrol, and solving crimes within those territories will net you more prestige.

pringles

Damn, just came upon a random event out in the countryside, involving a naked older man. Took a pretty funny photo with snapmatic and the game froze. :-/

Wonder if that event will happen in that location if I go back there..

UrbanRats

You've got a picture of the man in the first email, just look like someone like him in the Quarry (i can tell you the exact spot if you want, but the fun part is actually looking for the guy!).

I'm actually happy they didn't just put a cursor with "go here", it would've been lame.

I think in a couple of interviews you can read between the lines and see that frustration in Houser's words.
It was him who lamented the fact that in a GTA game, you kill less people per minute than a Call of Duty/generic FPS game, potentially (seeing as a lot of missions don't involve killing people).
And it was him that said that for a lot of people (he was speaking about GTA in Japan) GTA is more of a tourism simulator than a crime simulator, and that's why they love so much to put attention to detail, when it comes to world building.
Then you have games like RDR and LA Noire, that are still GTA-esque in structure, but try to break up a bit from the sheer crime perpetration, at least in tone.

I'm convinced there's part of Dan Houser that is "ready to move on" from GTA's traditional structure, in a way.

And i think, although people are already speculating about where will GTAVI take place next, R* will take a bit of an hiatus from GTA.

They need to switch generation, but they don't want another GTAIV scenario.
They have GTAOnline to support.
And R* North should still be working on Agent.

I don't see GTAVI coming anytime soon and, when IT WILL come out, who knows how the world will look like?

Raven77

Does anyone else feel like they SHOULDN'T go exploring in this game?

I can't quite put my finger on it. In most open world games the first thing I do is get past the tutorials, etc. and then set out on my own path just doing whatever I want. I did this in Skyrim, GTA IV, etc. etc. etc. but for some reason I feel like I shouldn't be doing this in GTA V.

I dont know if its because maybe this is such a heavily guided experience where you are constantly pushed to move the story forward. Maybe its the 3 characters. I sort of feel like I don't really have one singular identity in the game, that I have 3. Which is actually really cool BUT also kind of makes me feel like I have no main character to identify as "mine".

I'm about 24% through the story
Just setting up the military cargo ship mission with Trevor.

Is there any particular good point in the game to break out and just go exploring? I know that as the story progresses your options open up more and more.
Like how after a certain point with Trevor you can buy the hangar and fly gun / drug smuggling missions or whatever those are.

StuBurns

Banned
I think in a couple of interviews you can read between the lines and see that frustration in Houser's words.
It was him who lamented the fact that in a GTA game, you kill less people per minute than a Call of Duty/generic FPS game, potentially (seeing as a lot of missions don't involve killing people).
And it was him that said that for a lot of people (he was speaking about GTA in Japan) GTA is more of a tourism simulator than a crime simulator, and that's why they love so much to put attention to detail, when it comes to world building.
Then you have games like RDR and LA Noire, that are still GTA-esque in structure, but try to break up a bit from the sheer crime perpetration, at least in tone.

I'm convinced there's part of Dan Houser that is "ready to move on" from GTA's traditional structure, in a way.

And i think, although people are already speculating about where will GTAVI take place next, R* will take a bit of an hiatus from GTA.

They need to switch generation, but they don't want another GTAIV scenario.
They have GTAOnline to support.
And R* North should still be working on Agent.

I don't see GTAVI coming anytime soon and, when IT WILL come out, who knows how the world will look like?
I think if Agent still exists, someone else will be making it, GTA is too valuable to not give it five years off to let the team make a different game. But yeah, as time moves on, even more freedom seems an obvious inclusion, including the freedom to not be a criminal at all.

I was just playing as Franklin, and I bumped into Trevor. I don't know how exactly the system works, most the time I don't think they really are in the world, because every time you jump to them, they're just exiting a building or whatever, but I didn't even see Trevor, he shouted me, asked if I was 'creeping on him'. It was a story related conversation too.

You know the scene in the trailer where Trevor says he's going to get his dick out again? Is it in the game? I don't remember it. I was disappointed the leg in the toilet was just a character transition thing.

pringles

I can't quite put my finger on it. In most open world games the first thing I do is get past the tutorials, etc. and then set out on my own path just doing whatever I want. I did this in Skyrim, GTA IV, etc. etc. etc. but for some reason I feel like I shouldn't be doing this in GTA V.

I dont know if its because maybe this is such a heavily guided experience where you are constantly pushed to move the story forward. Maybe its the 3 characters. I sort of feel like I don't really have one singular identity in the game, that I have 3. Which is actually really cool BUT also kind of makes me feel like I have no main character to identify as "mine".

Is there any particular good point in the game to break out and just go exploring? I know that as the story progresses your options open up more and more.
Like how after a certain point with Trevor you can buy the hangar and fly gun / drug smuggling missions or whatever those are.
I feel the same, I'm over 50% into the game and haven't really stepped away from missions to just explore yet. You see a lot through doing missions so I figure once I'm done with the story I'll go off the grid a bit more. Franklin's kind of my 'main' character I've noticed, he's the one I like the most and care most about customizing and such.

You know the scene in the trailer where Trevor says he's going to get his dick out again? Is it in the game? I don't remember it. I was disappointed the leg in the toilet was just a character transition thing.
Yeah, that line's in the game - it's part of one of the cutscenes in Floyd's apartment, I believe.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
One of my early experiences with this game.

I don't often smoke weed, but I thought, might stop by the coffee shop on the way home, pick up some pot and then play some grand theft auto.

Did this, played the intro first/tooled around a bit, the smoked a big joint. Went back to the game and (early game michael side mission spoiler)
promptly met a weed campaigner on the beach who gave michael a joint, he then smokes it and has to murder a bunch of fucking aliens

that was when I knew this game was something special. it's been a ridiculously unproductive few days.

Franklins my guy though. I wanna see him succeed. don't really care about Michaels future (but he is entertaining) and I sort of hope trevor dies.

Derrick01

Banned

I'm having the opposite problem, I'm probably exploring too much. In over 20 hours of time between the 3 guys I only have 19/69 story missions done because I'm either doing things like Golf (I found out you can play NPC opponents after all, it seems like they're random strangers you helped) or just screwing around in the world either soaking up the sights or trying to find new ways to get into trouble.

I'm doing better with the other 100% categories, like I'm already 50% on the strangers/random events/miscellaneous stuff although that's only going by the 100% checklist. There's way more in each category that you don't have to do so I'm even further behind than I thought. It's a good problem to have though.

Also bought my first business yesterday since I finally got payment for the first heist. Bought the
medical marijuana shop

Alienous

You probably missed it. I'll explain.

That takes place during the cutscene when you plan your heist with Trevor, I believe. You probably only see that part if you start the mission as Trevor. He walks into Floyd's apartment, sits down, and asks for a massage. Floyd refuses, so Trevor says "Do you want me to get my dick out again?". Floyd starts massaging his leg. If you start the mission as Michael or Franklin, you walk into the apartment to see Trevor's leg being massaged by Floyd, and the cutscene resumes as usual.

diamount

Banned
How do i take out the competition? I've got no clue how to stock market actually works. Already spent like 400k but make such shitty amount of money it's not even funny.

Do Frank's hit missions, pre-emptive investing in the rivals of said companies will net you a nice profit.

AzerPhire

Beat it last night. Spoilers below:

I thought the story fizzled out towards the end. There wasn't really any big pay off and ultimately nothing really gets resolved. Sure all of the characters who put you into these situations wind up dead but it is done in the fastest way possible with only Devin's having some actual meat to it.

I thought the three main characters were really well written outside of a few moments. Trevor killing Floyd and Cindy felt really out of place and to me was worse than the torture scene. Didn't feel like him killing them was justified as they had not done anything to wrong him.

Overall the game was a fantastic experience but thinking about the story as a whole does leave me a bit disappointed.

UrbanRats

I think if Agent still exists, someone else will be making it, GTA is too valuable to not give it five years off to let the team make a different game. But yeah, as time moves on, even more freedom seems an obvious inclusion, including the freedom to not be a criminal at all.

I'm sure Take 2 will be pressuring them to start working on GTAVI right away (and they probably will) however R* is a studio that kinds of does what it (the Housers) wants.
They invested 100 millions into a realistic Western videogame, which is fucking crazy.

And i think making 800 millions in one day, should've earned R* North a bit of credit to do whatever the hell they want, if they feel like they need to take a break from GTA.

I mean GTA is not Call of Duty, the way it keeps being relevant and making money is by raising the bar each time, going to crazy lengths and showing off all their budget in the actual game, it's not a formula that works every time with more or less the same amount of effort (CoD's multiplayer being that formula).
So i don't think it's a franchise they can just put out cynically without a strong idea behind it, and you can't throw money at people to get good ideas, you have to come up with them.
Frankly the three characters idea was so good and worked so well for the franchise, that i would be shitting myself, in their shoes, having to make GTA VI right now.

I feel like GTAV was a good enough entry that they can take a one-game-break from it, leave people wanting a bit, and come back with another strong idea and massive game.

Top Bottom