• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

MormaPope

Banned
Some may argue with me on this, but the shooting mechanics feel to me like LA fucking Noire, with more blood and upgraded animations.

It's not a complaint, but they sure as hell don't feel like Max Payne 3 however they're definitely better than GTA4.

LOL WHAT. Replay L.A. Noire duder, feels like a bad PS2 action game.

I'm not understanding the comments about GTA V's combat in this thread and others. GTA V has different movement and animation priority when compared to Max Payne 3, if GTA V controlled exactly like Max Payne 3 the game would feel extremely sluggish. The movement and speed in Max Payne 3 work perfectly in of itself.

The aiming and such is extremely similar. The biggest difference being there isn't a reticule on the screen at all times in GTA V, whereas in MP3 the reticule is always there. Running and gunning in V is insanely useful, I think it's getting a bad rep due to people not firing in bursts or firing in a semi automatic manner.

Knowing when and where to take cover, along with learning to pace your shots while running&gunning make combat extremely fun. The complaints about combat and flying seem to stem from people not seeing that there is a learning curve.

Fuck yeah! Got the fighter jet on my second try into the military base. Parachuted in w my blimp and landed right on the jet, then flew the hell out of there as low as possible to avoid getting locked on, and then flew off until the authorities gave up.
Now to do the same for Mike and Frank..

scy

GTA V's shooting mechanics are much improved for the series, but I do believe Rockstar took a step backwards in some regards.

Why abandon the "Dead Eye" mechanic from Red Dead Redemption?

Dead Eye gave players a high level of control during tense moments and was great for crowd control. Missions remained challenging without becoming overwhelming. There are times GTA V overwhelms the player with enemies and it can be hard to see exactly what is going on.

Dead Eye while driving would also be awesome and alleviate my biggest criticism; shooting and driving stinks.

I mean, Michael and Franklin's abilities are good enough. Especially with the auto-targeting for Michael.

I think it's bullshit. I have read about so many people trying this and they all have the same results as you.

BAWSAQ is the online one, though manipulating the LCN seems random at best half the time (and always seems to spike when I'm not on, why DollarPills why). The only consistent one I've found for manipulating has been Augury Insurance (AUG) through mass police vehicle destruction.

Granted, I haven't tried enough with them all.

Wasp

It's a shame that the TV shows are such a low resolution. They look like 240p. Looks awful in full screen. The PS3 version only uses 18GB of disc space so there's another 32GB they could have used to store those files in HD, I'm not sure why they didn't.

BigDug13

LOL WHAT. Replay L.A. Noire duder, feels like a bad PS2 action game.

I'm not understanding the comments about GTA V's combat in this thread and others. GTA V has different movement and animation priority when compared to Max Payne 3, if GTA V controlled exactly like Max Payne 3 the game would feel extremely sluggish. The movement and speed in Max Payne 3 work perfectly in of itself.

The aiming and such is extremely similar. The biggest difference being there isn't a reticule on the screen at all times in GTA V, whereas in MP3 the reticule is always there. Running and gunning in V is insanely useful, I think it's getting a bad rep due to people not firing in bursts or firing in a semi automatic manner.

Knowing when and where to take cover, along with learning to pace your shots while running&gunning make combat extremely fun. The complaints about combat and flying seem to stem from people not seeing that there is a learning curve.

Some of the flying complaints are legit. I've ridden in helicopters and they don't bob and weave side to side as if they're attempting to fly through major turbulence all the time. In fact I'd say that would be a rarity, especially in So Cal weather. And I'm not sure who's bright idea it was to include that. For someone with zero flying skill maybe, but that effect should basically be eliminated for someone like Trevor.

Flying a helicopter with zero flying skill felt like flying the helicopter with max flying Skill.

megalowho

Barry missions are great, love that he keeps popping up. I think I did them in slightly the wrong order
Michael, Franklin, Trevor
but still really funny.

rouken

Does anyone know how to buy the Helipads in Vespucci Beach? They don't appear on the property menu and I can't seem to find them.

you just walk right by the dynasty sign on the helipad and buy it. it's not mark on the legends of the map but you can see the icon when you look closely on the vespucci beach part of the map.

UrbanRats

Some of the flying complaints are legit. I've ridden in helicopters and they don't bob and weave side to side as if they're attempting to fly through major turbulence all the time. In fact I'd say that would be a rarity, especially in So Cal weather. And I'm not sure who's bright idea it was to include that. For someone with zero flying skill maybe, but that effect should basically be eliminated for someone like Trevor.

Flying a helicopter with zero flying skill felt like flying the helicopter with max flying Skill.

Indeed, they went overboard with that shit.

Question about one of the prep missions for the second heist:
when you have to steal the army helicopter, was there a way to infiltrate the fort and do so in a stealthy fashion? I just burst in with a car and got the chopper, with bombs and bullets flying all over the place, but it felt wrong somehow and not in line with the tone of the game.

neoism

I've lost several already. I know where to find an Adder within 5 minutes though so it's no big deal.

Agreed on everything else feeling slow though. I can drive around the whole outside of the map in what feels like 5 minutes with that sucker. So good.
whhherree pls:(

UrbanRats

when you have to steal the army helicopter, was there a way to infiltrate the fort and do so in a stealthy fashion? I just burst in with a car and got the chopper, with bombs and bullets flying all over the place, but it felt wrong somehow and not in line with the tone of the game.

I'm curious about the same thing, i did the same thing you did, and it felt wrong.

scy

I haven't kept up with GTA V combat complaints but mine is that it's a bit too ... well, "smooth" and easy. Like, the lock-on targeting takes a lot of the difficulty out of it and then almost all the guns have very limited recoil. Even if this wasn't the case, there's still a large amount of cover to be used if you need it.

It's not really a problem though. I mean, GTA isn't really to be bottlenecked by difficult combat or anything.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I did the same thing.

I attempted to go in stealthy, but there's no spot where you can jump over the fence anywhere, and as soon as you go past the entrance the entire camp is on your ass.

I had to blast in crazy fast, ditch the vehicle and hope to god that I didn't get smoked while running to the chopper.

infomercial voice: There's got to be a better way!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't kept up with GTA V combat complaints but mine is that it's a bit too ... well, "smooth" and easy. Like, the lock-on targeting takes a lot of the difficulty out of it and then almost all the guns have very limited recoil. Even if this wasn't the case, there's still a large amount of cover to be used if you need it.

It's not really a problem though. I mean, GTA isn't really to be bottlenecked by difficult combat or anything.

If you play in Free Aim you have to be a lot more careful during the combat encounters, mostly due to how easy it is to get killed. I found it a lot more fun that way (though I still believe the health/damage taken should be tweaked)

I have a question about money: I'm still early in the game (haven't met Trevor yet) but with the missions I've done as Franklin and Michael, I don't see myself earning money when I complete the mission. Franklin and Michael each have a few thousand, but I'm not exactly sure how much they started with and whether I got any of it from the missions. In previous GTAs it used to be that you'd pass a mission, and you would see a cash amount on screen that was added to your total. Is GTA V treating this differently, or have I just not progressed far enough yet to be doing money-earning missions?

My problems with the combat:

- The right stick has a huge deadzone. I use free-aim, but it's so hard to track a moving target or make fine adjustments.

- You're too fragile, and the fact that health only regenerates to the halfway point means you just always have half health. I don't even know how to buy food; I've tried pressing right on the D-pad at a vendor multiple times and it's done nothing, and I've only ever seen health packs at safehouses. I'm hardly going to drive miles just to get some more health that I can lose in a couple of seconds, and most missions would give me an instant failure for abandoning my friends anyway.

- I'm not in control of my character's movement speed. Most of the time the game will detect that I'm in shootout mode and upgrade me to jogging speed, but every now and then it won't and I'll be stuck walking around. It seems like it'll lock you to walking speed in tight areas, but that sucks. Basic controls need to be 100% reliable.

- The reticle disappears too quickly when you're run'n'gunning. You have to keep firing shots blindly to bring it back. Really annoying for guns with limited ammo or slow firing rates.

- No shoulder switching. What kind of a shooter doesn't have shoulder switching? Did they expect you to only ever make left turns?

- All characters should have Michael's special ability. Bullet time is just too good.

It's the best combat in the GTA series by lightyears, obviously, and when everything goes right I find it incredibly fun. The idea of enjoyable shooting in a GTA game is practically a miracle. The enemy reactions are utterly fantastic, and that little screen flash you get for a headshot is so addictive. Those random moments where you stumble across a shootout and smoothly step out of your car and slo-mo headshot four guys with four bullets are divine. It's just a shame that the game is still obviously balanced for hard-lock, which just ruins all the fun.

You could steal the helicopter from the hospital in Los Santos, fly it in, land next to what you need and get out without much of a mess.
It would still feel kind of rough though, I was expecting something more elaborate for a mission where you have to
steal military equipment in a fort guarded by the army
. It just felt out of place in GTA V's world, like something straight out of the Ps2 games.

MormaPope

Banned

I love how helicopters handle now because of the pros and cons of helicopter travel vs. plane travel. In GTA San Andreas using a helicopter made no sense when you could jack any plane and parachute out, no landing required.

In GTA V helicopters offer incentives and pay offs over planes. Helicopters can land almost anywhere, they're more precise and much more nimble for in city travelling compared to planes. The pros of airplanes in GTA V amount to easier handling, much faster long distance traveling, and much higher speeds in general.

I enjoy the learning curves in GTA V due to playing thousands of hours of past GTA's. New and more intricate/difficult mechanics freshen up GTA a lot.

Beat it last night. Spoilers below:

I thought the story fizzled out towards the end. There wasn't really any big pay off and ultimately nothing really gets resolved. Sure all of the characters who put you into these situations wind up dead but it is done in the fastest way possible with only Devin's having some actual meat to it.

I thought the three main characters were really well written outside of a few moments. Trevor killing Floyd and Cindy felt really out of place and to me was worse than the torture scene. Didn't feel like him killing them was justified as they had not done anything to wrong him.

Overall the game was a fantastic experience but thinking about the story as a whole does leave me a bit disappointed.

I definitely agree with the first part, but not so much the second.

Ending Spoilers
The game needed a few more missions to do the story justice. The last mission was definitely rushed the story, and that's if you pick the mission where all three live. I can't imagine picking the missions where you kill Michael or Trevor. There's barely any resolution to the game if all three live, they quickly wipe out their enemies and then they're all friends again (I can't imagine picking the missions where you kill Michael or Trevor, those endings seem like they would just feel really hollow). And of those you killed only Steve and Devin felt like they mattered. I guess the Chinese guy was after Trevor but he wasn't that important to the story, and who gives a fuck about Stretch?

They have these great characters and premise but basically waste them with the last mission. Also having it mainly from Franklin's perspective didn't really help. He's really the outsider of the storyline of the game. He's just there. His somewhat neutrality is probably why it's done that way, but the conflict between Michael and Trevor is really left unresolved in a satisfying manner.

As for Trevor killing Floyd and Debra, that was just about him being nuts. No justification sure, but Trevor doesn't need justification for murder. A gun was drawn, a knife was drawn, and Trevor just saw blood.

Brilliant game all in all though.

tranciful

Wish the stock market graphics/data was actually legit. I invested a ton in BurgerShot when it was around $5 because the graphs and data said it goes up and down from about $5 to $20. While I had the stock, it would fluctuate from $3 to $5 instead. I almost feel like there's something unfinished about the stock market and users were originally supposed to be able to enter fast food places like in GTA:SA. At the moment, mission-driven events seem like the only way to affect stock prices. Wish I'd saved the assassination missions for later when I would have a lot more money to put in.

I also feel like robbing stores should have better payoff just to make it more worthwhile. Robbed a couple places.. don't have any incentive to do it again. Would be nice to have more ways to earn good money.

Basically, it feels like the endgame for GTA V is going to be weak. But GTA Online might fill that void and that's cool.

MormaPope

Banned
My problems with the combat:

- The right stick has a huge deadzone. I use free-aim, but it's so hard to track a moving target or make fine adjustments.

- You're too fragile, and the fact that health only regenerates to the halfway point means you just always have half health. I don't even know how to buy food; I've tried pressing right on the D-pad at a vendor multiple times and it's done nothing, and I've only ever seen health packs at safehouses. I'm hardly going to drive miles just to get some more health that I can lose in a couple of seconds, and most missions would give me an instant failure for abandoning my friends anyway.

- I'm not in control of my character's movement speed. Most of the time the game will detect that I'm in shootout mode and upgrade me to jogging speed, but every now and then it won't and I'll be stuck walking around. It seems like it'll lock you to walking speed in tight areas, but that sucks. Basic controls need to be 100% reliable.

- The reticle disappears too quickly when you're run'n'gunning. You have to keep firing shots blindly to bring it back. Really annoying for guns with limited ammo or slow firing rates.

- No shoulder switching. What kind of a shooter doesn't have shoulder switching? Did they expect you to only ever make left turns?

- All characters should have Michael's special ability. Bullet time is just too good.

It's the best combat in the GTA series by lightyears, obviously, and when everything goes right I find it incredibly fun. The idea of enjoyable shooting in a GTA game is practically a miracle. The enemy reactions are utterly fantastic, and that little screen flash you get for a headshot is so addictive. Those random moments where you stumble across a shootout and smoothly step out of your car and slo-mo headshot four guys with four bullets are divine. It's just a shame that the game is still obviously balanced for hard-lock, which just ruins all the fun.

At the bolded you can switch which side you're aiming on, I believe it's right bumper while aiming on the 360 version, no idea on the PS3 version. Armor also helps immensely in firefights, its relatively cheap when you get some cash.

Kalamari

I am beginning to think a lot of the data you see on the individual stock pages isn't exactly accurate. If it were true, there would be much more volatility in the stock prices. Has anyone else had a different experience?

Hoo-doo

Banned
The only special ability I found useful was Franklin's.

I got to my destination so much faster with the "Oh Shit" button at the ready while driving. Crazy convenient for losing cops as well.

I have a question about money: I'm still early in the game (haven't met Trevor yet) but with the missions I've done as Franklin and Michael, I don't see myself earning money when I complete the mission. Franklin and Michael each have a few thousand, but I'm not exactly sure how much they started with and whether I got any of it from the missions. In previous GTAs it used to be that you'd pass a mission, and you would see a cash amount on screen that was added to your total. Is GTA V treating this differently, or have I just not progressed far enough yet to be doing money-earning missions?

No story spoilers but here's a brief answer to your question
Only a few missions will actually provide you with money. For the big bucks you're going to have to play the stock market.

neoism

Man, I customized Franklin's Dodge Charger, and it stayed custom for a while, and now it reset again...dammit.
lol yeah rs fucked that upp sooo bad i just gave up i suped up franklins buffalo its ok but i have two pimped out infernous' in my garage :/ can you change your main car to anything else makes customizing cars pointless RS wtf :(

Yup. Just jump into a minisub and jump out and it will automatically be equipped. Kind of like how you automatically get a parachute when you pilot a helicopter or plane.

'Sonar Collector Dock Property'

I already own the one on the West coast ... Is there a dock on the large, landlocked water expanse in the centre of the map that
a plane crashes into after Trevor has jumped out of the back of it
?

If not how do I get scuba gear on in there to go investigating? ... Have not seen a single dingy yet!

Axial

Anyone know if there's a property to buy which allows to store more then just one or two cars in one place? I'm basically looking for a big garage with access for all three characters.

MormaPope

Banned

I always go free aim. I never used lock on in GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, or Max Payne 3. Free aim makes combat more intense and is a much funner way to play through those games.

Dreaver

It's a shame that the TV shows are such a low resolution. They look like 240p. Looks awful in full screen. The PS3 version only uses 18GB of disc space so there's another 32GB they could have used to store those files in HD, I'm not sure why they didn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually rendered in a low resolution in first place. Makes stuff like low polygon count / less details not so obvious.

scy

I am beginning to think a lot of the data you see on the individual stock pages isn't exactly accurate. If it were true, there would be much more volatility in the stock prices. Has anyone else had a different experience?

Certainly feels like it at times. It's hard to tell since I'm not sure when the damn thing updates and I have no idea when I keep missing these windows where the stock I'm invested in had a ~300% jump before tanking :/

If you play in Free Aim you have to be a lot more careful during the combat encounters, mostly due to how easy it is to get killed. I found it a lot more fun that way (though I still believe the health/damage taken should be tweaked)

I always go free aim. I never used lock on in GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, or Max Payne 3. Free aim makes combat more intense and is a much funner way to play through those games.

It does and if that's where the "combat controls are wonky" complaints are coming from, I agree. Free aim is certainly clunkier than it should be, though the combat in general is just more tuned for the arcade-y style lock-on combat.

neoism

I have an announcement to make. I have achieved 100% completion. Using no cheats (not that I even know any). I had the week off and it took 6 days. So now I can say, once again, I have completed every 3D GTA to 100%. I did use the guide after completion of the story. Took around 50 hours. And once again there's too many goddamn collectibles. Not as tedious as the pigeons in 4 but there's more collectibles and it's the same annoying, time consuming, stuff.
Funny, the hidden packages are not required for 100 percent
. But all the other collectibles are. That made me laugh. Tomorrow I will just fuck around. And I can replay missions. I'm excited. It's 4 am. Goodnight gaf.
lol fuck those pigeons lol got 99 of them and had to look one by one to find the last one woooow at your spoiler tag 26 hours so far and have not even seen one i got one letter that i picked up by mistake at the peak where the parachute is and dont even know what they look like I dont have a guide but hopefully a app map guide will come out or something

I was able to do Max Payne 3 on the hardest difficulty with free aim, but I just can't do it for this game. Too much going on, and I guess the fights aren't as structured as MP3. Had to go with default aiming.

At the bolded you can switch which side you're aiming on, I believe it's right bumper while aiming on the 360 version, no idea on the PS3 version. Armor also helps immensely in firefights, its relatively cheap when you get some cash.

Wow, really? I could have sworn I'd pressed every button, but I guess I'll try again.

As for body armour, I haven't found it that useful. I wish it'd slow the rate at which you lose health or something. When you buy it at Ammu-Nation the descriptions say that the more expensive ones will be harder to conceal, so I thought it they'd be more permanent things. I figured that the cheap one would be hidden under your clothes, but you wouldn't get much protection from it, and the most expensive one would give you more protection but you'd have to wear it over your clothes. But they just work the same way as always, as an extra bit of health bar. I've used them a couple of times, but they tend to just disappear before I even realise it (assuming I don't just use them up in a random accident before I even start the mission).

Megasoum

Banned
They should have changed the radio to static when you go through tunnels... Easy enough thing to do and it's the kind of detail Rockstar does normally lol.

Top Bottom