• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Alienous

Beat it last night. Spoilers below:

I thought the story fizzled out towards the end. There wasn't really any big pay off and ultimately nothing really gets resolved. Sure all of the characters who put you into these situations wind up dead but it is done in the fastest way possible with only Devin's having some actual meat to it.

I thought the three main characters were really well written outside of a few moments. Trevor killing Floyd and Cindy felt really out of place and to me was worse than the torture scene. Didn't feel like him killing them was justified as they had not done anything to wrong him.

Overall the game was a fantastic experience but thinking about the story as a whole does leave me a bit disappointed.

Yep. I agree entirely.

The character writing is great, but the narrative is muddled and poor. And, at the end, these big characters turn into blips on the radar you can just kill. Lazy.

Gorillaz

You've got a picture of the man in the first email, just look like someone like him in the Quarry (i can tell you the exact spot if you want, but the fun part is actually looking for the guy!).

I'm actually happy they didn't just put a cursor with "go here", it would've been lame.

I think in a couple of interviews you can read between the lines and see that frustration in Houser's words.
It was him who lamented the fact that in a GTA game, you kill less people per minute than a Call of Duty/generic FPS game, potentially (seeing as a lot of missions don't involve killing people).
And it was him that said that for a lot of people (he was speaking about GTA in Japan) GTA is more of a tourism simulator than a crime simulator, and that's why they love so much to put attention to detail, when it comes to world building.
Then you have games like RDR and LA Noire, that are still GTA-esque in structure, but try to break up a bit from the sheer crime perpetration, at least in tone.

I'm convinced there's part of Dan Houser that is "ready to move on" from GTA's traditional structure, in a way.

And i think, although people are already speculating about where will GTAVI take place next, R* will take a bit of an hiatus from GTA.

They need to switch generation, but they don't want another GTAIV scenario.
They have GTAOnline to support.
And R* North should still be working on Agent.

I don't see GTAVI coming anytime soon and, when IT WILL come out, who knows how the world will look like?
Game made 1 billion in 3 days no way will it go on hiatus next gen . However i do believe they have an ace in the hole with GTA online. I also felt that it was there way to have people still be apart of the world during the break inbetween games. It depends on how updated they make it

StuBurns

Banned
You probably missed it. I'll explain.

That takes place during the cutscene when you plan your heist with Trevor, I believe. You probably only see that part if you start the mission as Trevor. He walks into Floyd's apartment, sits down, and asks for a massage. Floyd refuses, so Trevor says "Do you want me to get my dick out again?". Floyd starts massaging his leg. If you start the mission as Michael or Franklin, you walk into the apartment to see Trevor's leg being massaged by Floyd, and the cutscene resumes as usual.
That's pretty awesome. Yeah, I was Micheal, and you walk in on him getting the massage.

I just played tennis, Amanda kicked my ass in straight sets, I suck.
I'm sure Take 2 will be pressuring them to start working on GTAVI right away (and they probably will) however R* is a studio that kinds of does what it (the Housers) wants.
They invested 100 millions into a realistic Western videogame, which is fucking crazy.

And i think making 800 millions in one day, should've earned R* North a bit of credit to do whatever the hell they want, if they feel like they need to take a break from GTA.

I mean GTA is not Call of Duty, the way it keeps being relevant and making money is by raising the bar each time, going to crazy lengths and showing off all their budget in the actual game, it's not a formula that works every time with more or less the same amount of effort (CoD's multiplayer being that formula).
So i don't think it's a franchise they can just put out cynically without a strong idea behind it, and you can't throw money at people to get good ideas, you have to come up with them.
Frankly the three characters idea was so good and worked so well for the franchise, that i would be shitting myself, in their shoes, having to make GTA VI right now.

I feel like GTAV was a good enough entry that they can take a one-game-break from it, leave people wanting a bit, and come back with another strong idea and massive game.
I guess so. I'd be surprised if they wanted to take a break though. Five years is a long time to have various stories and characters you want to write bubbling away while you focus on your current project. I imagine it's just a floodgate over there at the moment.

I wonder how it works actually, does the story come first, and they pick a city to fit it, or do they start with where they want to set is and build the story around that? It seems like with this and GTA4, the city probably preceded the theme, which itself probably preceded the story.

It's funny, I was trying to think of another game where you play a retired criminal the other day, and I completely forgot, that's exactly what RDR was.

UrbanRats

Game made 1 billion in 3 days no way will it go on hiatus next gen . However i do believe they have an ace in the hole with GTA online. I also felt that it was there way to have people still be apart of the world during the break inbetween games. It depends on hiw updated they make it

Read my post above.

Fjordson

I'm sure Take 2 will be pressuring them to start working on GTAVI right away (and they probably will) however R* is a studio that kinds of does what it (the Housers) wants.
They invested 100 millions into a realistic Western videogame, which is fucking crazy.

And i think making 800 millions in one day, should've earned R* North a bit of credit to do whatever the hell they want, if they feel like they need to take a break from GTA.

I mean GTA is not Call of Duty, the way it keeps being relevant and making money is by raising the bar each time, going to crazy lengths and showing off all their budget in the actual game, it's not a formula that works every time with more or less the same amount of effort (CoD's multiplayer being that formula).
So i don't think it's a franchise they can just put out cynically without a strong idea behind it, and you can't throw money at people to get good ideas, you have to come up with them.
Frankly the three characters idea was so good and worked so well for the franchise, that i would be shitting myself, in their shoes, having to make GTA VI right now.

I feel like GTAV was a good enough entry that they can take a one-game-break from it, leave people wanting a bit, and come back with another strong idea and massive game.
Agreed. I hope V's success allows R* the freedom to do something else for their next game.

I really want Agent, or something else brand new from them (*cough* cyberpunk game, ahem).

I wonder if another Red Dead is in the works and if that will have multiple characters like V. I think it worked really well here.

dalVlatko

For the Lester assassination missions, how long do you guys wait before selling the stock?

I buy the stock right after he mentions what to get and it seems the price goes up immediately after the mission is done. I'm not sure if I should wait for it to go up more or if its just a one time thing.

Tunavi

Banned
While most gta games feel like a random sequence of events, this one actually has a fairly great character driven story. Love it

-MB-

Is there a way to get a save to load on another account? Tried copying it from one account
on the same ps3 to another, but upon loading gta5 says "You did not create this save game data. File cannot be loaded."

Addnan

I went driving around to all the known helicopter spawn points look for one to get to the top of a tall tower with Franklin. They weren't spawning anywhere, so eventually found where I can buy a helipad and a helicopter to go with it. That cost like 1.5mil + the 1.3mil I spent on hangar thinking it comes with helipad. Then while waiting for my helicopter to get delivered I find one just randomly parked in a park like place. Fuck me. All that money spent.

Peff

They're actually in a fantastic position with the franchise, to be honest. The game is going to keep killing it through the holidays thanks to small discounts by Black Friday and such. If they release the PC version early next year, then announce an Episode of Los Santos DLC to be released in September/October alongside a full-priced GOTY edition with next-gen SKUs they'd have enough time to release other stuff starting 2015 and cap off the generation with another huge, long-awaited GTA.

Gorillaz

Read my post above.
I read it. I think you might want to read my first part again. Take 2 won't let a franchise that made that much that quick go on a long hiatus. From a business direction that isnt even a good idea. Rockstar and the Houser brothers have free reign with almost everything else but the boys upstairs(the board) still want to see more from franchise that out sells products of other mediums. That doesn't mean it will go "cod status".

vehn

Is there a way to get 200 mil if you've already beaten all of the assassination missions? Does the killing fly us planes trick actually work end game?

Ok can GAF help a GTA noob?

Bought this last night, 2-3 hours in, currently only have access to Franklin. I've done a few small missions for Simeon and done a few car repo's for Tonya. After those, I can't seem to find any new missions?

Any idea where I should go or if there are any particular things I should be doing to kick the story in to gear?

Oh man, last night I did Trevor's stranger mission where
you race Mary-Ann down the hill with the bicycles. The banter between both characters had me laughing hard. Trevor is the funniest character out of all three

Do cops ride motorbikes?
I think I've seen one or two on bikes. When I did see them, I drove past them very quickly, so they could've been normal pedestrians. I'm not 100% sure.

MXRider

Ok can GAF help a GTA noob?

Bought this last night, 2-3 hours in, currently only have access to Franklin. I've done a few small missions for Simeon and done a few car repo's for Tonya. After those, I can't seem to find any new missions?

Any idea where I should go or if there are any particular things I should be doing to kick the story in to gear?
Pause the game and go down the menu on the map for missions to do.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I thought the game would start to feel empty after clearing the story but all the side-stuff is so full of life. Love this world, hope there's loads of content added in the future.

UrbanRats

I wonder how it works actually, does the story come first, and they pick a city to fit it, or do they start with where they want to set is and build the story around that? It seems like with this and GTA4, the city probably preceded the theme, which itself probably preceded the story.

Aaron Gabut (art director at R* North) mentioned it a couple of times in interviews.

They choose a city, start building it, select the themes, then they develop characters from those, and from them the story.
Of course they keep changing every one of these aspects to fit the others and make everything more cohesive, so they come up with missions ideas just looking at the map, but also modify the map to fit missions ideas and so on.
An iterative process that starts by selecting the setting.

I read it. I think you might want to read my first part again. Take 2 won't let a franchise that made that much that quick go on a long hiatus. From a business direction that isnt even a good idea. Rockstar and the Houser brothers have free reign with almost everything else but the boys upstairs(the board) still want to see more from franchise that out sells products of other mediums. That doesn't mean it will go "cod status".
There is no doubt we'll see more GTA.
The question is if there'll be a longer wait between GTAV and GTAVI, than there was between GTAIV and GTAV, and i think there will be.
Partly thanks to GTAOnline, partly because i think after GTAV, they need to come out with a REALLY strong idea, to keep making an impact.
And i think making another game between the two entries, could help them keep a fresh mind.

StuBurns

Banned
Aaron Gabut (art director at R* North) mentioned it a couple of times in interviews.

They choose a city, start building it, select the themes, then they develop characters from those, and from them the story.
Of course they keep changing every one of these aspects to fit the others and make everything more cohesive, so they come up with missions ideas just looking at the map, but also modify the map to fit missions ideas and so on.
An iterative process that starts by selecting the setting.
Who decides where it is? R* North?

I got a couple of quick questions for ya'll. I'm about, I dunno, 10 or 12 hours in I suppose, maybe a little longer (
I just did some Yoga...
) and I just stole a private jet, but it doesn't seem all that much faster than the crappy crop dusters that hang out at the landing strip anyway. Is it, and I'm just not noticing? Also, is there actually any benefit to putting the landing gear away?

matthieuC

For the Lester assassination missions, how long do you guys wait before selling the stock?

I buy the stock right after he mentions what to get and it seems the price goes up immediately after the mission is done. I'm not sure if I should wait for it to go up more or if its just a one time thing.
Wait a few days for max profit.

Andrew.

Banned
I can't get the one after the car boost to pop up, do you know if there's something you have to do?

Did you find all the cars? If so, just wait for an email from Marnie. Complete some other missions as either Trev or F too maybe. Noticed that sometimes some side missions don't trigger their follow-ups unless you complete other missions as other characters.

StuBurns

Banned
Did you find all the cars? If so, just wait for an email from Marnie. Complete some other missions as either Trev or F too maybe. Noticed that sometimes some side missions don't trigger their follow-ups unless you complete other missions as other characters.
I've got no more to do, outside of the two 50 part collecting things, and I'm not going to do that. Maybe I'll try just sleeping twenty times or something.

Andrew.

Banned
I've got no more to do, outside of the two 50 part collecting things, and I'm not going to do that. Maybe I'll try just sleeping twenty times or something.

You'll do plenty of sleeping and day skipping once they make you wear the Hubbard robes for 10 days straight.

GTA V's shooting mechanics are much improved for the series, but I do believe Rockstar took a step backwards in some regards.

Why abandon the "Dead Eye" mechanic from Red Dead Redemption?

Dead Eye gave players a high level of control during tense moments and was great for crowd control. Missions remained challenging without becoming overwhelming. There are times GTA V overwhelms the player with enemies and it can be hard to see exactly what is going on.

Dead Eye while driving would also be awesome and alleviate my biggest criticism; shooting and driving stinks.

Andrew.

Banned
Some may argue with me on this, but the shooting mechanics feel to me like LA fucking Noire, with more blood and upgraded animations.

It's not a complaint, but they sure as hell don't feel like Max Payne 3 however they're definitely better than GTA4.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Hmm is it possible to skip franklin racing missions? But have all the other side missions?

Dreaver

I just tried the beat-the-competitor-stock-sthiny, free roam. I invested like 90k in Taco Bell and went to the Clucking Bell depot and destroyed like 8 of their trucks. Went to sleep (in-game...) and stocks went up like 0,05% (lol). Went to sleep again and it was negative. tried it a few more times and it never went positive. :(

Am I doing something wrong or is it just bullshit?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Hmm is it possible to skip franklin racing missions? But have all the other side missions?

Yup I didn't actually get the notification for races until I completed the game. Weirdly enough I've noticed it for quite a lot of other stuff as well.

matthieuC

I just tried the beat-the-competitor-stock-sthiny, free roam. I invested like 90k in Taco Bell and went to the Clucking Bell depot and destroyed like 8 of their trucks. Went to sleep (in-game...) and stocks went up like 0,05% (lol). Went to sleep again and it was negative. tried it a few more times and it never went positive. :(

Am I doing something wrong or is it just bullshit?
I think it's bullshit. I have read about so many people trying this and they all have the same results as you.

I'm sorry GAF. I just don't like Trevor.

I LOVE him.
I feel the same exact way. I've noticed that most of his best material has come from the side missions for me. There was a really funny part a little later in the story during a cutscene where
Trevor is walking up to Franklin's house, while his aunt and her friends are walking away shouting their workout motto. Trevor screams at them to shut up and then procedes to say thank you. I had to pause the scene because I was laughing so hard. It was delivered so well

Top Bottom