• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You think getting out of car with basically no health, while being chased by the police, to buy a hotdog is viable? In GTA4 it takes like twenty seconds. You'd be dead pretty much instantly.

I'm 75% done, maybe there are some crazy hard 'Misc' content, but the game is just no where near that demanding.

The problem is that in this game a full regeneration meter might as well be next to no health.

Dresden

It's not hard, but the fragile characters combined with the sheer unpredictability of open-world situations means that it can definitely be frustrating.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I love the ousts about minimal health and stuff but may I offer a counterpoint. Police chases in this game are SUBLIME, do to the fact that cops are goddamn ruthless. There is so much tension and reward from long shoot outs to car chase victories. You have to be smarter in this game, open shoot outs on the streets are a death swish unless you bounce. You have to get on top of parking garages or other locales to manage police sneaking up in you. It's just so much better. I don't like how you die so easy when ejected from cars, and I fucking hate the kill screen that doesn't let you fully watch your death WHAT THE FUCK ROCKSTAR.

Poilice chases sure are intense and the wanted system is fantastic.

terrible

Banned
I love the ousts about minimal health and stuff but may I offer a counterpoint. Police chases in this game are SUBLIME, do to the fact that cops are goddamn ruthless. There is so much tension and reward from long shoot outs to car chase victories. You have to be smarter in this game, open shoot outs on the streets are a death swish unless you bounce. You have to get on top of parking garages or other locales to manage police sneaking up in you. It's just so much better. I don't like how you die so easy when ejected from cars, and I fucking hate the kill screen that doesn't let you fully watch your death WHAT THE FUCK ROCKSTAR.

I don't like car chases much in this game. It basically consists of you driving around infinitely until you find some random alley or forest to hide in. I don't think I've ever evaded the police simply by losing them in a high speed chase. Their cars are basically invincible to ramming too even though they just have to touch you and you lose complete control for a second.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know.

Yeah not being able to watch your character for 10 secs after their death sucks. I'm falling from an exploding helicopter... let me watch it all!

Is there are difference between different models of PS3 when it comes to performance? I'm playing the disc version on an old 60gb model, and the framerate while driving is really not good at all.

I've played the first few Trevor missions. These missions are where the combat is starting to shine for me.

I dunno. Once I got to the missions where it's Trevor vs. 100 hillbillies or Lost members and I'm trying to be quick and precise with my free aim, or entering doors, or run + gun with the fluidity they touted in the gameplay trailers, it all comes crashing down around me that this isn't MP3+. There's one mission with Trevor in particular that feels step for step like something out of GTAIV, from enemy placement, to those gotdamn doors, to my health being chipped away without any indication, to slow walking during combat, to the cover system being terrible.

In general my issue is that they're still so behind in areas that they shouldn't be despite being incredibly far ahead in others. I said this last year, and even though GTAV is great a lot of the time, I maintain that if United Front Games had Rockstar's budget and size, they'd make a game to rival even GTAV. Sleeping Dogs did a LOT to fix tedium and annoyance that can be found in crime/action open world games regarding combat, health, the police system, menus, collectables, and general ease of play while remaining a relatively down to earth experience in the vein of Rockstar's current gen projects. After what that game and others have brought to the table in terms of fluidity and intuitiveness, Rockstar's failings can no longer go unnoticed.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
What about in the midst of a freaking chase? I can't count the number of times I've had to make a long-ass drive to a safehouse with next to no health, fearing a stray bullet from the insanely-accurate police, just wishing I could pull over next to a hot dog cart or a burger shot and get some damn health.

Considering how much tougher police are now I really don't think you would survive well running into a typical food place from older games in this one, that is probably why health regenerates now. Just jump out of the action for a bit to regen and you shouldn't have to worry, it's pretty much the same thing as finding food but without having to go hunting for some as you can hide anywhere while it goes back up which should keep you safe as long as you don't head straight into a guy with a shotgun.

Vending machines also put your health back up btw, and there's a ton of those dotted around the map, they aren't food places but they do the same job.

aravuus

I fucking hate the kill screen that doesn't let you fully watch your death WHAT THE FUCK ROCKSTAR.

Yeah, one of these small things that I really really hate. Just let me watch my own body ragdoll around for as long as I want, we have fucking Euphoria for crying out loud.

SlickVic

I liked how in the Fame or Shame mission where if you switched to Michael beforehand you get a slightly longer cutscene setting it up, but if you go into it as Trevor, it just cuts to the part where he enters the scene. One of those moments that makes the game feel like it's being told from the perspective of who you're actively playing as at the time, which I thought was a nice touch.

On another note, I'm liking how some of the random encounters are more than just chase guy, shoot group of thugs, etc and actually feel like proper missions with a decent amount of dialog. I really like that the game gives incentive to explore the world and run into more of these events.

You can change the small dot to a circle with a dot in settings.
I must have cycled through the settings 10 times by now and I never saw that option. I must be going blind.

If so, it'd be from playing this game too much. Holy shit this game, even with its issues. I'll start up a custom soundtrack and just drive for days, exploring, figuring out the nuances of the cars and driving model and all the variations of surface, lighting, weather, inclines, shortcuts, jumps, etc etc. Kicking up jets of water when getting wheelspin in a puddle after the rain, kicking up dirt and leaves and building up wear and tear, taking on those winding mountain roads at sunrise.

God damn.

Once Online hits I don't even know what to think - once it stabilizes I mean. Rockstar has built the most elaborate movie set ever and has invited the teeming hordes to make something happen. Its going to be wild.

anddo0

Poilice chases sure are intense and the wanted system is fantastic.

Is it really though?

You're driving to a mission, hit a random ped which triggers a 1-star rating. The mission marker disappears, causing you to go more than 3 miles away from your destination. Because even a 1-star rating can last up to two minutes. A 1-star rating? Very annoying. What you call fantastic, I call a design flaw.

I'm all for aggressive cops, but the window in which they are aggressive is too long. It's like they have no cool down, unless you go out of your way to avoid their ridiculous search tactics.

I'm stuck on the
Merryweather heist, I'm getting hammered when Franklin has to hold off the Army guys after Michael trips the alarm, any tips?

The health system sucking as well as NPC's having alarming accuracy doesn't help.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I dunno. Once I got to the missions where it's Trevor vs. 100 hillbillies or Lost members and I'm trying to be quick and precise with my free aim, or entering doors, or run + gun with the fluidity they touted in the gameplay trailers, it all comes crashing down around me that this isn't MP3+. There's one mission with Trevor in particular that feels step for step like something out of GTAIV, from enemy placement, to those gotdamn doors, to my health being chipped away without any indication, to slow walking during combat, to the cover system being terrible.

In general my issue is that they're still so behind in areas that they shouldn't be despite being incredibly far ahead in others. I said this last year, and even though GTAV is great a lot of the time, I maintain that if United Front Games had Rockstar's budget and size, they'd make a game to rival even GTAV. Sleeping Dogs did a LOT to fix tedium and annoyance that can be found in crime/action open world games regarding combat, health, the police system, menus, collectables, and general ease of play while remaining a relatively down to earth experience in the vein of Rockstar's current gen projects. After what that game and others have brought to the table in terms of fluidity and intuitiveness, Rockstar's failings can no longer go unnoticed.

Hold the fuck up. You're actually trying to say the combat in Sleeping Dogs was in the same league as GTA V? And the police system? I love Sleeping Dogs but I know the strengths of that game. It had a great melee system. That's about the only advantage is has over V. Well that and hunting for collectibles was better since they weren't as ridiculously hard to find. That's something you can say about a LOT of open world games though. Please don't try and pretend it was half as fun to play as GTA V. It's insulting to the industry. And the health in sleeping dogs has the opposite problem to GTA V. I rarely ever died and there was zero challenge, which meant the gameplay wasn't as engaging. V may be frustrating sometimes but at least it's engaging.

lunchtoast

Riding around on the dirt bike is pretty fun. I was riding around the hills south of the prison. I came across a car pulled over. 2 guys were raping a girl on the side of the road. The one watching started shooting at me and I took them down. Once the girl said thank you, one of them gave me a last shot but hit her instead before dying. One of them was completely naked and you could see his bits.

When I was near the prison there was a convict who wanted a ride but ended up trying to hijack my bike. I had to take him down. There was also a girl in the desert I gave a ride to the Vinewood sign to see her boyfriends working security, but he found out she was cheating on him. He started to fight me and she ran off downhill somewhere.

leng jai

Is there are difference between different models of PS3 when it comes to performance? I'm playing the disc version on an old 60gb model, and the framerate while driving is really not good at all.

I'd say the only difference is each individual's fps perception. It's definitely not always smooth and borderline unacceptable during some driving segments.

It's like they have no cool down, unless you go out of your way to avoid their ridiculous search tactics.
I think I see your problem. Yes, you have to avoid their searches.

One star should never trouble you - just get out of the area. Cops will descend upon the spot where the crime was committed and search outward from there - you'll see other cops on the map and you just have to make sure not to drive into their view.

Its three-stars and above I have problems with. Because before you can evade their search you have to break line of sight - and if your car isn't the quickest or they have a helicopter you're going to need luck to see you through, unless you've memorized tunnels and jump locations.

In terms of combat, yeah, you are pretty easy to kill considering how many enemies they throw at you and how quick to draw and accurate those enemies are. Enemy reflexes and accuracy do remind me of Max Payne 3 - but without giving the player suitable dexterity to counter it. Sliding over car hoods is nice, but it isn't going to take down a dozen gang-bangers for me. A nice running speed, crouching, and quicker aiming from cover would help, along with firing from the hip, even if inaccurate.

Does anyone know where I can find the Dom missions? He's the guy into extreme sports but none of his missions ever showed up on the map for me as franklin. The only reason I know he exists is my brother told me about him.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is it really though?

You're driving to a mission, hit a random ped which triggers a 1-star rating. The mission marker disappears, causing you to go more than 3 miles away from your destination. Because even a 1-star rating can last up to two minutes. A 1-star rating? Very annoying. What you call fantastic, I call a design flaw.

I'm all for aggressive cops, but the window in which they are aggressive is too long. It's like they have no cool down, unless you go out of your way to avoid their ridiculous search tactics.

I was actually going to mention this but decided not to. Yeah I agree 1 star ratings take a tad too long to get rid of. But in terms of cop chases that aren't triggered by accident the wanted system is really good and intense.

Does anyone know where I can find the Dom missions? He's the guy into extreme sports but none of his missions ever showed up on the map for me as franklin. The only reason I know he exists is my brother told me about him.

His first one is a bit north of the city, and is triggered by a dog.

I did it post-game, no idea when it first showed up.

StuBurns

Banned
The wanted system is much easier to dump multiple stars than last time, just drive over a mountain, shoot down the helicopters and stand under some bridge or waste tunnel or whatever. The circle in 4 was so huge with four stars that it was actually extremely difficult to escape, now it's not much harder to lose four than two.

In town it's more demanding, and it does cause that cool 'Drive' moment of being parked in an alley waiting nervously, but out of town it's basically pointless.

His first one is a bit north of the city, and is triggered by a dog.

I did it post-game, no idea when it first showed up.

Is it a letter on the map or just walk around the map randomly? Can you specify any place near it.
I'm sure you can find him early because my brother is still early in the game but has done all his missions.

scarlet

michael's freaks and strangers mission

what would i get if i finish the epsilon mission? it cost lots of money

Just invested 28 milion with michael into TacoBomb, now I hope I'm gonna make some profit if i'm gonna wreck Cluckin Bell.

28 million? any tips to get money?

Pooya

any viable strategy to go inside the military base and come out alive with some goods? jumping in seems to be ill advised >.< there are just too many soldiers shooting from everywhere.

On my way to my local GAME to buy GTA5, thought I could wait, hoping for a next gen announcement, but after playing it with my brother on his 360 last night I am now on my way to go buy it for me and my PS3 to enjoy together haha

Is it a letter on the map or just walk around the map randomly? Can you specify any place near it.
I'm sure you can find him early because my brother is still early in the game but has done all his missions.

It was a question mark. It's north of the city, up in the hills a bit, but not out entirely in the sticks.

I stumbled upon it so I can't remember where exactly. I don't think there were many ? around there...

SlickVic

Is it really though?

I think I've actually encountered fewer wanted level triggers from accidents like hitting peds than I have in past GTA games (or even the other sandbox games). The wanted levels takes a bit longer to shake off in this one, but from my experience, the cops seem a bit less vigilant in patrolling the city (though once you're wanted, it's a whole different story).

Hold the fuck up. You're actually trying to say the combat in Sleeping Dogs was in the same league as GTA V? And the police System? I love Sleeping Dogs but I know the strengths of that game. It had a great melee system. That's about the only advantage is has over V. Well that and hunting for collectibles was better since they weren't as ridiculously hard to find. That's something you can say about a LOT of open world games though. Please don't try and pretend it was half as fun to play as GTA V. It's insulting to the industry. And the health in sleeping dogs has the opposite problem to GTA V. I rarely ever died and there was zero challenge, which meant the gameplay wasn't as engaging.

I meant hand to hand combat. And when I say "police system" I mean the vehicle ramming system by which you can easily get rid of low level heat quickly and efficiently (by contrast 1-2 stars in GTAV takes even longer than it used to with more aggressive police that lead to quicker escalation of minor crimes)

And even besides that, I'd say the shootouts are about even between them. The only thing GTAV has over SD is Euphoria, but SD feels tighter and chaining bullet time with headshots was actually a really smart mechanic so that evens it up. GTAV is not spectacular in shootouts at all. It doesn't feel as good as MP3, and doesn't sound as good as RDR.

And IDK why me saying SD is more fun would be so disgusting (which I didn't). There are more than a few areas in which I felt SD was designed better including hand to hand, shooting from the car, losing police at low wanted levels, control in combat, control and movement through the city, and general "tightness" of the entire experience.

But this isn't about SD, and I don't want this to turn in to a "game vs. game" shouting match. GTAV is not perfect. It's a monumental game, but I'm starting to agree with the reviews that said "It's GTA to the utmost, for better or for worse." It's the flashiest, loudest, most impressive display of the franchise, but all its missteps are equally magnified.

Fjordson

I actually really like the shooting. Using free aim here and have no big complaints, only minor one would be the small dot, but besides that the rest is great.
Yeah, don't really get the complaints either. Combat feels fine to me, way better than other open-world games (and way, way better than IV).

The one thing I do agree with is the health regen stuff. I kinda wish they would mark the vending machines on the map or bring back the fast food places from past games (not sure why they didn't bring those back to be honest). Either that or maybe after a cooldown period regen your health above just 50%. Would be really helpful when you're just messing around out in the world.

I just don't see it. Like I said above, I agree about some of the health system complaints, but the two main aspects of GTA (combat and driving) feel vastly superior to Sleeping Dogs to me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Exercising irl and all I can think of is this fantastic fucking game. God damn, yesterday I played till 7am. What the fuck.

NIN90

Accurate aiming is a nightmare with this inconsistent framerate. That's why I made the switch to assisted aiming.

I feel Sleeping Dogs had much better gunplay even if it was kinda limited.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I Just watched the movie, is there other moved to watch or just that weird Antonio one

Btw game is awesome can't stop playing

I'm stuck on the
Merryweather heist, I'm getting hammered when Franklin has to hold off the Army guys after Michael trips the alarm, any tips?

The health system sucking as well as NPC's having alarming accuracy doesn't help.
I guess you're not going the freighter route because I didn't have any trouble there
sniping with Franklin

Do the heists with the best crew. The last heist alone with get you 22 milion a character. Also, doing the Epsilon missions with Michael can get you 2,1 mil.
So (voluntarily not spoilering it), the bottom line is that the more expensive crews offer the best returns, despite their price?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
any viable strategy to go inside the military base and come out alive with some goods? jumping in seems to be ill advised >.< there are just too many soldiers shooting from everywhere.

Depend what your trying to get I guess, go in with a plan and get out super quick, if you stay around they will destroy you, lol.

To steal the fighter jet with little issue I parachuted in, took a plane near the base and jumped out, with luck managed to glide right into the hanger just the stars popped up, jumped into the plane and took off straight outthe door before any military guys got to me. Clean and clear in like 30 seconds.

SuperSah

Banned
Wow.. erm..

I just got to THAT torture scene.

I really do not know how I feel about that. They kind of went a bit too far and it genuinely made me feel bad, but at least that part's over.

Cringing the whole time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think the police response is way, way better than in previous GTA games.

I had three stars with cops swarming me and at one point I managed to break line of sight with the cruisers and choppers, drove my ass behind a factory building, got out of the car and took cover behind a nearby dumpster. My heart was racing because two police cruisers passed through the street and a few on foot cops were checking out the car I abandoned and searching the surroundings literally a few dozen feet from me.

And the second right before this single shotgun-wielding on-foot cop was about to check behind the dumpster, the search was called off and they left the scene.

It's great. Actually hiding somewhere works like a charm.

Top Bottom