• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CGNoire

From those para-e3 conferences so far the Star Wars Outlaws is what definitely looks top notch to me.
Ofc its ubisoft trailer so might be target render, not actual gameplay, but if we assume its actual real gameplay instead of bulllshot trailer, it looks above anything else graphics wise, once again i wanna underline it- we talking real gameplay, aka u gotta controll ur character while looking at that footage, not in engine/ingame/cinematic/real time cutscenes coz i couldnt care less for those, like always, actual gameplay always is the most impressive thing.
Here the vid so ppl dont need to search for it again.

There is still a pretty noticable downgrade im shadowing of the character when leaving cutscenes. Gamersyde has a High bitrate video if others are interested.

CGNoire

You know, the more I read threads like this the more I can't wait til people stop caring about graphic fidelity and get more focused on what's important - immersion worlds with AI and physics
But you see theres a problem. The devs have signaled countless times that if we demand better visuals eventually they will comply but we can scream day and night for years about AI or Physics and that shit always falls on def ears.

Like when was the last time a Major AAA dev outside of Nintendo or maybe Remedy showcased physics or AI or even really advanced in that area. They dont seem interested and thats not our fault. Its there lack of ambition.

I want all 3.

PeteBull

What happened to Santa Monica? God Of War 2 is probably the most impressive game I've played on PS2, Gow 3 and ascension are at the top of PS3 along with The last of us, PSP games are at the top as well, while Gow 2018 and Ragnarok are good, they are not on the same technical level as other Sony games. I hope they build Kinetica 2.0 and again impress the world technically and graphically.
Ragnarok, as by official dev statement was made to run great on base ps4, so it was improved/build on in ps5 version, thats why we get game that looks great bit bit below top of the top of current other games.

PeteBull

There is still a pretty noticable downgrade im shadowing of the character when leaving cutscenes. Gamersyde has a High bitrate video if others are interested.
100% true, hence i keep saying, lets compare all those games gameplay vs gameplay, not cutscenes, even if running in real time, just for fairness.

GymWolf

Gold Member
From those para-e3 conferences so far the Star Wars Outlaws is what definitely looks top notch to me.
Ofc its ubisoft trailer so might be target render, not actual gameplay, but if we assume its actual real gameplay instead of bulllshot trailer, it looks above anything else graphics wise, once again i wanna underline it- we talking real gameplay, aka u gotta controll ur character while looking at that footage, not in engine/ingame/cinematic/real time cutscenes coz i couldnt care less for those, like always, actual gameplay always is the most impressive thing.
Here the vid so ppl dont need to search for it again.

It didn't looked good enough to be fake.

If any downgrade is gonna happen, it is gonna be extremely minor.

Fable trailer this is not.

GymWolf

Gold Member

The dude doubling down on ff16 characters must be parody at this point, right?

Never show him how any throw away characters with one small line of dialogue that you see for 30 sec in hfw massacre any character from FF or he is gonna have multiple heart attacks...

Last edited:
Played FF16 demo yesterday, doesn't exactly scream next-gen.

Just looks like a super refined PS4 game at higher resolution

Character models are poor, especially facial IQ, they could learn something from GG and Decima.

Geometry and environmental detail is hit and miss in different areas, but a lot of the castles look really bad because the shading is just so poor. Fun game which is moderately good looking, but hardly taps into next-gen visual features in my opinion.

Lethal01

Never show him how any throw away characters with one small line of dialogue that you see for 30 sec in hfw massacre any character from FF or he is gonna have multiple heart attacks...

Good graphics in a game you don't care about will always be nothing compared to good graphics in a game you do.
People will play uncharted/thelastus and see the best graphics ever but they will be about as exciting as a tech demo compared to when it's in something you give a shit about.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Good graphics in a game you don't care about will always be nothing compared to good graphics in a game you do.
People will play uncharted/thelastus and see the best graphics ever but they will be about as exciting as a tech demo compared to when it's in something you give a shit about.
But...i liked the demo a lot? Arguably more than other games with better characters rendering even...

So...

CGNoire

There is a High Bitrate Video of Star Wars Outlaws at Gamersyde.

Cutscene or not that coat with the loose threads is pretty awesome. Taken from the gamersyde video.
qbQ3sE9.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Character models are poor, especially facial IQ, they could learn something from GG and Decima.

Geometry and environmental detail is hit and miss in different areas, but a lot of the castles look really bad because the shading is just so poor. Fun game which is moderately good looking, but hardly taps into next-gen visual features in my opinion.
You guys must be trolling. This is the best character models we’ve seen ever in a real video game.
Absolutely in a competition up there.
I’ve posted pics few times over so I will not trash this topic but some characters in some scenes look like real cgi.

It’s the most next gen game out right now. Those saying it’s a ps4 game are nuts. The game does some amazing stuff.

You don’t have to like the character style but technically it’s doing some stuff looking like cgi.

You guys must be trolling. This is the best character models we’ve seen ever in a real video game.
Absolutely in a competition up there.
I’ve posted pics few times over so I will not trash this topic but some characters in some scenes look like real cgi.

It’s the most next gen game out right now. Those saying it’s a ps4 game are nuts. The game does some amazing stuff.

You don’t have to like the character style but technically it’s doing some stuff looking like cgi.

I'm currently at work so I'll post screenshots later to show you what I mean.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm currently at work so I'll post screenshots later to show you what I mean.
no need to bother. I've played the demo twice. The characters look amazing.
Sure, at times can look flat but any game can look worse at times.

You cannot post anything to say that these are bad character models.
62oFhBj.jpg

cgKyYaB.jpg

7Up8ktt.jpg

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Nah FFXVI is the real deal. It has a distinct advantage over games such as Horizon with lighting. It might fall short in texture and render resolution, but there is very little weirdness with its lighting system. It's grounded and I love it. Can't say the same for games like Horizon, GoW, others. I also appreciate the exceptional hair rendering with no artifacts. Finally the HDR rendering is God-tier and if you're an oled owner you owe it to yourself to ensure settings are correct. I hope the example below doesn't come off as subtle because it made a huge difference to visuals.

First Playthrough - Incorrect HDR setting

pET8a1g.jpg

Second Playthrough - Adjusted HDR

H9KYVhE.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
no need to bother. I've played the demo twice. The characters look amazing.
Sure, at times can look flat but any game can look worse at times.

You cannot post anything to say that these are bad character models.
62oFhBj.jpg

cgKyYaB.jpg

7Up8ktt.jpg
This is forspoken all over again. These screenshots dont look as good as you think they do. They actually disprove your point they look so mediocre lol

Fw_DitPXsA0ksqV

FbdAMKCWYAAmTEf

Fbc_s3VXEAQFdzt

And these are PS4 games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is forspoken all over again. These screenshots dont look as good as you think they do. They actually disprove your point they look so mediocre lol
These screenshots look 1000% as good as I think they do.
Maybe you just dont see it because... idk ? these are sliiightly anime characters !?
Show me one character that looks better. Even HFW dont

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Maybe you just dont see it because... idk ? these are sliiightly anime characters !?
see above. i just edited my post.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
see above. i just edited my post.
Yeah. That's what I am saying. These absolutely look worse than ff16.
Maybe tlou2 comes close but all of these still look like a screenshots from a video game.
ff16 looks like a screenshot from a cgi movie.

While the characters you posted might look more like real people, they don't look as good as ff16 tech wise.,.... aside from my first shot. That guy looks as real as can be.

edit: I am a big tlou2 and HFW screenshot guy myself. And ff16 jumps the shark

Last edited:
nah, Slimy is right about that one. The character models are the least impressive thing about FF16. The anime style kind of eliminates a LOOOOOT of facial features and intricate details from the get go making everyone look like puppets. Well shaded (and only in the hands off scenes!), but still puppets and the rest like clothing/armor etc has massive variations in quality and detail.

The game visuals in general seem to be a roller coaster ranging from "Wow this setpiece could be from a movie" to "did they completely forget the shading run in this scene". It´s just very uneven (judging from the demo and PR material).

Last edited:

alloush

I played it myself last night and boy is it far from being next-gen looking. Nothing about it is next-gen at all.

Wasn’t sure if it was just me or my tv is acting up or my eyes are playing tricks on me. When I fired it up I was like “nah the guys over at gaf surely must be trolling”. Now granted I am not playing it on my oled I am outta town but still it’s not like oled will transform the game from looking last gen to looking next gen.

Lastly, the animations. They suck. This is Sega level of animations guys. I have never played FF ever before so not sure if animations are deliberately made like that cuz the game leans a bit towards arcade-ness or they are flat out horrible.

I know I will get a lotta heat for this!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
nah, Slimy is right about that one. The character models are the least impressive thing about FF16. The anime style kind of eliminates a LOOOOOT of facial features and intricate details from the get go making everyone look like puppets. Well shaded (and only in the hands off scenes!), but still puppets and the rest like clothing/armor etc has massive variations in quality and detail.

The game visuals in general seem to be a roller coaster ranging from "Wow this setpiece could be from a movie" to "did they completely forget the shading run in this scene". It´s just very uneven (judging from the demo and PR material).
your negativity kills me. Slime too. So much negativity.
The actors are not overemoting. it's not bad graphics.

You guys should learn to judge things more objectively. The tech is insane and maybe you lack the knowledge to appreciate it.
Even my father said it looks like a movie.

idk... upgrade your monitors, use hdr. fucking anything. just stop being so bitchy about everything in every single thread.
This is an achievement we should be praising.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
TLOU 2 remains untouched for faces.

XhAGLXr.jpeg

dXqjZ2v.jpeg

HVbJfRP.jpeg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

Theres only 1 game that tops TLOU 2 faces. And thats TLOU Part 1.

They look even better. Not just about how they look (they look the best too though) but how they animate. When you put the two together, no one is in the same league.

This is a goddamn PS4 game.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
TLOU 2 remains untouched for faces.

XhAGLXr.jpeg

dXqjZ2v.jpeg

HVbJfRP.jpeg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

Theres only 1 game that tops TLOU 2 faces. And thats TLOU Part 1.

They look even better. Not just about how they look (they look the best too though) but how they animate. When you put the two together, no one is in the same league.
nah. tlou2 faces look better than tlou1 for sure.

Robbinhood

Banned
Nah FFXVI is the real deal. It has a distinct advantage over games such as Horizon with lighting. It might fall short in texture and render resolution, but there is very little weirdness with its lighting system. It's grounded and I love it. Can't say the same for games like Horizon, GoW, others. I also appreciate the exceptional hair rendering with no artifacts. Finally the HDR rendering is God-tier and if you're an oled owner you owe it to yourself to ensure settings are correct. I hope the example below doesn't come off as subtle because it made a huge difference to visuals.

First Playthrough - Incorrect HDR setting

pET8a1g.jpg

Second Playthrough - Adjusted HDR

H9KYVhE.jpg
I haven't tried the demo yet but what did you adjust exactly?

SlimySnake

Maybe tlou2 comes close but all of these still look like a screenshots from a video game.

While the characters you posted might look more like real people, they don't look as good as ff16 tech wise.,.... aside from my first shot. That guy looks as real as can be.

Show your father those horizon and tlou screenshots I posted and the FF ones you posted, and tell him you think FF16 looks better.

I promise he will disown you and adopt me.

SlimySnake

Link aint workin'
remove the ' at the end.

your negativity kills me. Slime too. So much negativity.
The actors are not overemoting. it's not bad graphics.

You guys should learn to judge things more objectively. The tech is insane and maybe you lack the knowledge to appreciate it.
Even my father said it looks like a movie.

idk... upgrade your monitors, use hdr. fucking anything. just stop being so bitchy about everything in every single thread.
This is an achievement we should be praising.
How about you stop acting like ND, Guerilla or even CD Project Red don`t exist as those have already delivered crossgen efforts that easily trounce FF16 in a lot of aspects.
You´re seriously the last one who should go on about objectivity as you`re basically 100% hype, just like you were with Forspoken which was mediocre shite technologically.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How about you stop acting like ND, Guerilla or even CD Project Red don`t exist as those have already delivered crossgen efforts that easily trounce FF16 in a lot of aspects.
You´re seriously the last one who should go on about objectivity as you`re basically 100% hype, just like you were with Forspoken which was mediocre shite technologically.
They didn’t

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

wtf_talking_about_wolf_of_wallstreet.gif

alloush

Ya i double checked the link and for some crazy reason it wont connect from here?

Ya gonna just have to go there and search the games name.
Yeah I looked it up myself and Slimy also provided a link:

CGNoire

Yeah I looked it up myself and Slimy also provided a link:

Thanks

Oh I see what i did wrong now. Fixed

Top Bottom