• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
wtf_talking_about_wolf_of_wallstreet.gif
All nuns are CG lesbians

Last edited:
This is forspoken all over again. These screenshots dont look as good as you think they do. They actually disprove your point they look so mediocre lol

Fw_DitPXsA0ksqV

FbdAMKCWYAAmTEf

Fbc_s3VXEAQFdzt

And these are PS4 games.
GRjsIzg.jpg
8BWygBT.jpg

Come on SlimySnake SlimySnake I already posted these shots but am reposting for the sake of this conversation. This game isn't going for a photorealistic art style. It is highly stylized and can look as good, better, or worse than the games you posted. There are screens that I am not going to post because the game isn't out yet but there are areas that smush the games you posted. A late city in particular is jaw dropping. The game is really pushing the hardware as far as geometry and lighting. Funny the lighting solution everyone says is flat is because it's realistic. I think people are going to be surprised at Digital Foundry analysis. The green hued lighting in these shots is coming from me casting a charged garuda shot.

EmgkhFG.jpg
3oNWZlW.jpg
These are all from performance mode. Different art style and it is pretty damn amazing for what it is trying to accomplish.
As far as I know all of the cutscenes are also rendered in real time. If any are offline I can't tell.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
GRjsIzg.jpg
8BWygBT.jpg

Come on SlimySnake SlimySnake I already posted these shots but am reposting for the sake of this conversation. This game isn't going for a photorealistic art style. It is highly stylized and can look as good, better, or worse than the games you posted. There are screens that I am not going to post because the game isn't out yet but there are areas that smush the games you posted. A late city in particular is jaw dropping. The game is really pushing the hardware as far as geometry and lighting. Funny the lighting solution everyone says is flat is because it's realistic. I think people are going to be surprised at Digital Foundry analysis. The green hued lighting in these shots is coming from me casting a charged garuda shot.

EmgkhFG.jpg
3oNWZlW.jpg
These are all from performance mode. Different art style and it is pretty damn amazing for what it is trying to accomplish.
As far as I know all of the cutscenes are also rendered in real time. If any are offline I can't tell.

Nevermind the screens 80% filled with DOF.. I'm still completely lost about what I'm supposed to see here. Reminds me of Kingdom Come I guess..?

OCASM

Banned
It didn't looked good enough to be fake.

If any downgrade is gonna happen, it is gonna be extremely minor.
I thought the same thing about the first The Division trailer...

no need to bother. I've played the demo twice. The characters look amazing.
Sure, at times can look flat but any game can look worse at times.

You cannot post anything to say that these are bad character models.
62oFhBj.jpg

cgKyYaB.jpg

7Up8ktt.jpg
Horizon characters are better. The lighting is what makes characters in FFXVI look so good, specially in that first shot.

TLOU 2 remains untouched for faces.

XhAGLXr.jpeg

dXqjZ2v.jpeg

HVbJfRP.jpeg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

Theres only 1 game that tops TLOU 2 faces. And thats TLOU Part 1.

They look even better. Not just about how they look (they look the best too though) but how they animate. When you put the two together, no one is in the same league.

This is a goddamn PS4 game.
Nah, Horizon's are better. But as with FFXVI, ND has much better lighting artists than Guerilla.

SlimySnake

GRjsIzg.jpg
8BWygBT.jpg

EmgkhFG.jpg
3oNWZlW.jpg
Honestly those barn screenshots look very bad to me. But not going to lie, the era thread on this opened my eyes and they look stunning. i didnt play this part of the demo with Clyde because i want to go in fresh but the definitely look better than anything with young clyde. I've always said Joshua's character model looks next gen, but the mom, sister, dad and young clyde? yeesh.

Apparently these are gameplay shots. These era members are doing a better job making the point than you guys are lol

17d6csd.jpg

872con.jpg

1241cvl.jpg

16she5w.jpg

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
Honestly those barn screenshots look very bad to me. But not going to lie, the era thread on this opened my eyes and they look stunning. i didnt play this part of the demo with Clyde because i want to go in fresh but the definitely look better than anything with young clyde. I've always said Joshua's character model looks next gen, but the mom, sister, dad and young clyde? yeesh.

Apparently these are gameplay shots. These era members are doing a better job making the point than you guys are lol

17d6csd.jpg

872con.jpg

1241cvl.jpg

16she5w.jpg
Soft lighting galore :messenger_sun:

Lethal01

17d6csd.jpg

872con.jpg

1241cvl.jpg

16she5w.jpg

Sounds like you are talking about how nice particular shots look rather than how good they are on a technical level and conflating the two.
The shots posted here were mostly just as technically impressive but with worse shot composition.

Edder1

GRjsIzg.jpg
8BWygBT.jpg

EmgkhFG.jpg
3oNWZlW.jpg
Looks like a blurry PS4 game in these screenshots. People posting FF16 cutscenes and ignoring how last gen these characters look in-game is doing my head in.

twinspectre

If I was them, I would invest time and money into improving A.I, instead of "Look how great it looks", because these games have 10/10 graphics -10/10 gameplay and -10/10 enemies A.I

CGNoire

17d6csd.jpg

872con.jpg

1241cvl.jpg

16she5w.jpg
Japanese Hair is always so much better handled than from alot of western devs.

Alex11

17d6csd.jpg

872con.jpg

1241cvl.jpg

16she5w.jpg
They look awesome overall, but when you start to break each area you see at the chin and the hair strands, they look a bit outdated, the lips too and the skin around them also.

The hair, yes it looks very nice so are the eyes and the general tone and color.

But yeah, IMO those are the negatives for what I think most don't consider this very next-gen.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I thought the same thing about the first The Division trailer...

Horizon characters are better. The lighting is what makes characters in FFXVI look so good, specially in that first shot.

Nah, Horizon's are better. But as with FFXVI, ND has much better lighting artists than Guerilla.
Some HFW or tlou2 characters will look better.
but this single shot from the prologue is the best graphics I've ever seen.
Cut it out without rest of the game if you will but I've never seen something better.
I am beyond impressed. Not that maybe this character is doing anthing more than HFW or tlou characters. Probably not.
But as an end result. This isolated shot is something that I would never ever believe is a screenshot from a final fantasy video game.
If this leaked last year, we would think it's a leak from cgi trailer.
(which granted, it might still just be a cgi cutscene lol)

62oFhBj.jpeg

ChiefDada

Gold Member

17d6csd.jpg

872con.jpg

1241cvl.jpg

16she5w.jpg

The game's visuals/lighting truly shine at night, no pun intended. But daytime remains consistent albeit less spectacular. As far as character rendering, If you can keep in mind the stylistic choice for anime (which I've always loved) I think people will appreciate more. Facial animation couldve been much better though. If they had ND level animation it would be perfect.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"CGI looking character"
7Up8ktt.jpeg

"Videogame looking character"
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230428224150.png

So Ratchet & Clank matched CGI from 2005 and HFW beats CGI from 2023, GG are wizards.
100% if you take the style out of the equation, ff16 looks better here.
The shading, soft liht and soft shadwing is on another level.
HFW looks like a video game at high resolution.
FF16 looks like a cgi at a bit lower resolution. Maybe it's some post processing doing work too.
HFW looks like a ps4 game with a very polished normal rendering tech.
ff16 looks like a beginning of a next step in video game graphics. Finally looks like a game on ps5 SHOULD LOOK LIKE 2 YEARS AGO.

OR AGAIN, AS WITH THE OTHER GUY I AM POSTING, This is a cgi cutscene. We don't know yet.

I do not with to be ridiculed any further. You don't have to agree but laughing laughing at my opinions is very blind of you.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Cut it out without rest of the game if you will but I've never seen something better.
I am beyond impressed. Not that maybe this character is doing anthing more than HFW or tlou characters. Probably not.
But as an end result. This isolated shot is something that I would never ever believe is a screenshot from a final fantasy video game.

62oFhBj.jpeg

It's the realistic grounded lighting around the environment that makes it pleasing coupled with perfect HDR execution which make colors look very natural (should fix the misleading HDR toggle though). I would imagine anyone who takes issue with Horizon's often obnoxious/busy/overwhelming lighting setup would appreciate whats going on here. Dark filmic tone as if you're watching a movie in the theater. Nice change of pace.

I would like to get confirmation of what's real time vs cg soon because I'm hearing conflicting reports. Bring on the DF or NX Gamer developer interview.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's the realistic grounded lighting around the environment that makes it pleasing coupled with perfect HDR execution which make colors look very natural (should fix the misleading HDR toggle though). I would imagine anyone who takes issue with Horizon's often obnoxious/busy/overwhelming lighting setup would appreciate whats going on here. Dark filmic tone as if you're watching a movie in the theater. Nice change of pace.

I would like to get confirmation of what's real time vs cg soon because I'm hearing conflicting reports. Bring on the DF or NX Gamer developer interview.
"should fix the misleading HDR toggle though"
? There is hdr toggle in the game ? I was under the impression is uses ps5 settings and yeah - looks better with hdr than on screenshots

ChiefDada

Gold Member
"should fix the misleading HDR toggle though"
? There is hdr toggle in the game ? I was under the impression is uses ps5 settings and yeah - looks better with hdr than on screenshots

Well there's a "screen brightness" toggle which has the standard 3 sample screens for highlight detail, shadows detail and midtones as a typical HDR toggle would. As someone playing on OLED, the toggle would have you believe that you should pump brightness all the way up to avoid black crush but you are better off staying in the 4-5 default range. I've never seen more perfect blacks in a game until now. Intro/outro battle scenes is what HDR was made for.

OCASM

Banned

62oFhBj.jpeg
I agree with the overall point. That shot is the most next-gen thing I've seen so far. Goes to show how important advanced lighting and shadowing is to really get the best of a PBR rendering pipeline.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well there's a "screen brightness" toggle which has the standard 3 sample screens for highlight detail, shadows detail and midtones as a typical HDR toggle would. As someone playing on OLED, the toggle would have you believe that you should pump brightness all the way up to avoid black crush but you are better off staying in the 4-5 default range. I've never seen more perfect blacks in a game until now. Intro/outro battle scenes is what HDR was made for.
ah ok. I played at default 5. All good then

SlimySnake

The game's visuals/lighting truly shine at night, no pun intended. But daytime remains consistent albeit less spectacular. As far as character rendering, If you can keep in mind the stylistic choice for anime (which I've always loved) I think people will appreciate more. Facial animation couldve been much better though. If they had ND level animation it would be perfect.
There is lighting which I will concede is dependent on lighting conditions and then there is asset quality, level of detail, character models and other visual effects that are equally important. There is lots of work that needs to be done here to make it look next gen.

That said, it looks fine for a last gen game and its doing some amazing things with the setpieces so i am happy with it. I dont need every game to look like the Matrix as long as its doing something that last gen games werent doing. I just disagree that the character models look next gen.

Why do people keep posting ingame-cutscene screenshots as "gameplay screenshots". They are like photo mode for car games, more polished than an actual gameplay and this has been going on forever. Uncharted 4, TLOU 2 and now FF16. I think FF16 looks great but no, it doesnt look like the above shots while im controlling the character. Yes Ellie's facial feautures and skin texture look great but no, they dont look as high quality when you take control of the character. Forget the slight blurrines of the first photo, I couldnt find a better shot but facial details and skin texture are nowhere near what the in game cutscene shows, and this is an actual hameplay shot.

N2MNral.jpg

Edder1

But they don't? Also to the person that said RE4 had better character models?
finalfantasyxvidemo_2utdjt.png

residentevil4chainsawzmfab.png

Lighting looks damn near cg at times
Lol, you used RE4R as an example because it has one of the worst character models in-game. I mean Leon in RE2R looks way better. That FF16 screenshot looks on par with some of the better PS4 character models. And those FF16 character models in the screenshots to which I replied to you look absolutely horrendous, as bad as anything on PS4. You just cherry picking one or two nice shots, but really character models in-game look very poor and last gen almost all of the time. Sure it looks CG, CG from around 20 years ago that is. I mean common, Aloy from a cross gen Horizon Forbidden West looks way better in-game and I've never heard anyone say Aloy looks like CG level character, lol.

Last edited:

Alex11

But they don't? Also to the person that said RE4 had better character models?
finalfantasyxvidemo_2utdjt.png

residentevil4chainsawzmfab.png

Lighting looks damn near cg at times
To be honest the FF one I believe is from a cutscene and the RE4 one is from gameplay by the looks of it.

This is a screenshot that I took from a cutscene, and it's another tale. It isn't even the best image with him or maxed, shadows and that hair tech is turned down a notch.

SOuEg6Y.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest the FF one I believe is from a cutscene and the RE4 one is from gameplay by the looks of it.

This is a screenshot that I took from a cutscene, and it's another tale. It isn't even the best image with him or maxed, shadows and that hair tech is turned down a notch.

SOuEg6Y.jpg
All of my shots were in game. No cutscene pictures and the character model looks the same.

TLOU 2 remains untouched for faces.

XhAGLXr.jpeg

dXqjZ2v.jpeg

HVbJfRP.jpeg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

Theres only 1 game that tops TLOU 2 faces. And thats TLOU Part 1.

They look even better. Not just about how they look (they look the best too though) but how they animate. When you put the two together, no one is in the same league.

This is a goddamn PS4 game.
You see why I call TLOU 2 the graphics king…

daninthemix

You're forgetting the biggest weapon those consoles should have, frame generation. AMD is already working on it and it's almost a certainty next gen consoles will have it. This means you bypass CPU limitation, the biggest hurdle in getting 60fps. It should be a piece of cake to do 60fps with upscaling and frame generation. You have laptops today that achieve 120+ fps in AAA games with frame generation, to think that in 2028 we won't be able to do 60fps on consoles is absurd imo. Not only that, I believe 120fps will become common with shooters and fighting games next gen.
It's naive of you to assume that AMD will be able replicate the AI methods of a trillion-dollar company that is a leader in the field. You're in cloud cuckoo land. Frame Gen relies on AI to be good.

Edder1

It's naive of you to assume that AMD will be able replicate the AI methods of a trillion-dollar company that is a leader in the field. You're in cloud cuckoo land. Frame Gen relies on AI to be good.
Lol, I see someone hasn't seen the announcement from AMD that they are working on frame generation without the need for machine learning. And if you think consoles in 2028 or thereabouts won't have machine learning than I think the naive one is you.

In game, cutscene, all fine and good, but why is nobody calling out his shitty walk cycle going up that slight slope at the beginning of the Demo? Looked like he fucking moonwalked!

Top Bottom