• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Edder1

If we are talking about you, liking the aesthetic of the tech then fine, But when people praise this games vistas, they're crazy. They are "alright" at best as is the cinematography used to showcase em. The only noteworthy thing about them is the quanitity of them but honestly I don't even think they will surpass shots you can get in no mans sky artistically.

AJFCJaX6rJacFPDW1tbjAyZuGHkcCvX193v7XNUMeki_5O9TdGVzVxXFJemujVJGRsEpCoI_q90jSveILMV0DLgfGLkvIC8KvbpOH1fR-aL4ioDWgOunWGUEgxx7U4fV9pxSFTgsc1VYRV9fx_Gr0ZKUlD7e=w3462-h1947-s-no

I think this is one of the better shots and artstically it's no better than an average forspoken sceenshot.
I like the way you keep posting shots with barren land to make your point, lol.

The way people are hyping Starfield's visuals in this thread is shocking, what's even more shocking is who is saying it. Nothing makes sense to me anymore lol. The game's scale appears to be next gen. But visuals? Nah.

Wow I finally agree with you on something!

I dig the art style and landscapes but next gen visuals this is not. I'm expecting this game to be majorly inconsistent in terms of lighting and shadows too.

If we are talking about you, liking the aesthetic of the tech then fine, But when people praise this games vistas, they're crazy. They are "alright" at best as is the cinematography used to showcase em. The only noteworthy thing about them is the quanitity of them but honestly I don't even think they will surpass shots you can get in no mans sky artistically.

AJFCJaX6rJacFPDW1tbjAyZuGHkcCvX193v7XNUMeki_5O9TdGVzVxXFJemujVJGRsEpCoI_q90jSveILMV0DLgfGLkvIC8KvbpOH1fR-aL4ioDWgOunWGUEgxx7U4fV9pxSFTgsc1VYRV9fx_Gr0ZKUlD7e=w3462-h1947-s-no

I think this is one of the better shots and artstically it's no better than an average forspoken sceenshot.
Do you have someone to drive you home after the lasik eye surgery?

Alex11

I've been trying Cyberpunk Overdrive Path Tracing and its the peak rn. Man I hope GTA 6 got this.
Yes, you are so right, I decided to try out the Overdrive and man, some shots are just bonkers, sure the textures aren't the best ones or the characters, but does it have an atmosphere, Jesus.

These are not the most crisp, as I play at 1440p with DLSS Quality, I imagine these at 4K looks insane. I apologize if these are too many.

wYN8bCi.jpg

Fd33Dik.jpg

TBFBCyr.jpg

lpzqaq7.jpg

JM1pPEY.jpg

o3Hof2L.jpg

5qWTwoY.jpg

w8XIdTY.jpg

q5xlcYv.jpg

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Dude you praised Spider-Man 2 right?

Yes, I praised SM2 primarily for it's rendering of the city miles into the distance and also for it's significant expansion and improvement of RT reflections. You don't have to agree about the significance, and I wouldn't blame you for doing so, but you can't say I didn't mention specifics. With that being said, can you share with us what exactly about Starfield's visuals are you excited about within the context of current gen/this thread?

Edder1

Okay, do me a favor and post the amazing vistas you are talking about, I'm not seeing em, so I posted the best shots I got.
We're going in circles now. I sent you a link to a whole selection of screenshots with cities, animal life, beautiful foliage among other things and yet you keep posting same barren land shots to make your point. I know you're not impressed by the game's visuals, but at least try be fair in your argument.

Lethal01

We're going in circles now. I sent you a link to a whole selection of screenshots with cities, animal life, beautiful foliage among other things and yet you keep posting same barren land shots to make your point. I know you're not impressed by the game's visuals, but at least try be fair in your argument.

I'm not posting anything to make the game look bad, I choose what I thought were the best example of "stunning vistas" out of what you posted. i'd say the alternatives look worse.

Like I said, feel free to post an amazing looking vista if you feel I'm misrepresenting the game.

Last edited:

Edder1

I'm not posting anything to make the game look bad, I choose what I thought were the best example of "stunning vistas" out of what you posted. i'd say the alternatives look worse.

Like I said, feel free to post an amazing looking vista if you feel I'm misrepresenting the game.
If these are the most beautiful ones in your opinion then it's easy to see why you're underwhelmed. Most people here who like Starfield would say those are the the least impressive shots.

alloush

I've been trying Cyberpunk Overdrive Path Tracing and its the peak rn. Man I hope GTA 6 got this.

61YyobL.jpeg

WQowrWt.jpeg

E6IV8i9.jpeg

w9Hxhh2.jpeg

zbS8vjm.jpeg

PO9Mep2.jpeg

XhSHDls.jpeg

NMZzkUs.jpeg
Weak sauce. I am not sold on CP graphics one iota. I can see why people like the visuals but I personally am not sold. If GTA 6 looks like that then that’s a massive disappointment!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Weak sauce. I am not sold on CP graphics one iota. I can see why people like the visuals but I personally am not sold. It GTA 6 looks like that then that’s a massive disappointment!
The light system is gonna be way worse obviously but i hope for everything else to look better.

Animations and care for details alone are gonna absolutely destroy cyberpunk so much that is not even funny.

Last edited:

alloush

The light system is gonna be way worse obviously but i hope for everything else to look better.

Animations and care for details alone are gonna absolutely destroy cyberpunk so much that is not even funny.
Exactly. That's the least I expect from freakin' Rockstar and GTA 6, the most anticipated game of all time. The bar is hella high for them, let's see if they deliver.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Exactly. That's the least I expect from freakin' Rockstar and GTA 6, the most anticipated game of all time. The bar is hella high for them, let's see if they deliver.
Tbf i think that rdr2 was more like a sum of its aspects because the single elements were not exactly incredible.

Texture work and characters (except arthur) were not exactly the best around even for 2018 standards.

alloush

Can’t wait for games with this level of graphic fidelity…

This is how I expect characters to look in-game. It might not be possible currently but this is how I envision characters looking in-game. This is exactly why I have so much trouble accepting how characters currently look in games. The characters in this video are lightyears ahead of the ones we see today it ain't even funny. When can we expect graphics and characters in particular to look like that? Genuine question.

alloush

Tbf i think that rdr2 was more like a sum of its aspects because the single elements were not exactly incredible.

Texture work and characters (except arthur) were not exactly the best around even for 2018 standards.
You're right but for me RDR2 was still the best looking game last gen. Some say it is TLOU2 and I aint debating that but for me RDR2 was the graphics king last gen. Let's not forget it is a massive open-world game, too.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You're right but for me RDR2 was still the best looking game last gen. Some say it is TLOU2 and I aint debating that but for me RDR2 was the graphics king last gen. Let's not forget it is a massive open-world game, too.
I have the same opinion about rdr2.

Also, as an animations whore, i love that rockstar games are the only one who use euphoria engine.

alloush

I have the same opinion about rdr2.

Also, as an animations whore, i love that rockstar games are the only one who use euphoria engine.
YES. This times a million. Everyone sings ND's animations system's praises and it is mighty impressive no doubt about it but I love RDR2's animations, man. Some think they feel clunky and feels like a chore everytime you move, but for me they are the most realistic. I think if the game ran at 60fps or 120fps animations would feel much smoother.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Sorry ahead of time for the rather lazy stream of concious format.

For me Starfield looks to be a mixture of mostly ps4 era elements mixed with some excellent art direction and some pretty impressive ship cabins although Im not sure the GI in the cabin is realtime. If it is its definitely the technical star of the showcase. Like I think the GI inside the space craft looks very good indeed exspecially when mixed with the high variety of shader work present.

The landscapes can look anywhere from polygonaly impressive to somewhat outdated. Im not sold on the GI of the landscapes at all. Infact if they didnt mention it I wouldnt have noticed which is probably why I am unsure if its realtime GI being used in the cabin. I wouldnt say the landscapes looks fully ps4 era but they arent really that impressive to me and no amount of "atmospheric simulation" exaggerations is gonna fool me. MGS5 made the same claim and that shit was nothing to write home about.

The voxel thruster sim seems to also be paired back since its choppy reveal which isnt suprising.

Im a Bethesda fan so Im gonna get this but Im not exspecting to be blown away technically and Im also a little concerned about how boring exploring planets ....for loot?...is gonna be for very long. Like Im not sure if this story line or lore will really even be interesting at all. I cant say Ive been intrigued so far and no amount of hinted at force powers is doing it for me.

CGNoire

Tbis
YES. This times a million. Everyone sings ND's animations system and it is mighty impressive no doubt about it but I love RDR2's animations, man. Some think they feel clunky and feels like a chore everytime you move, but for me they are the most realistic. I think if the game ran at 60fps or 120fps animations would feel much smoother.
This so much.

Them speeding up your checking pockets for items in RDR2 pissed me off.
Im like there are so many overly gamey games out there just let this "one game" have more of a simulation feel will ya.

Luckily for me I have the OG disc version but most people are screwed.

Last edited:

alloush

Euphoria should have been an industry standard by now. 2008 was so fucking long ago. Developers should be ashamed.
This.

I am excited to see how they improve euphoria even further and what kinda animations will we be getting from Rockstar in the future with the power of the future consoles.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Euphoria should have been an industry standard by now. 2008 was so fucking long ago. Developers should be ashamed.
There is a reason i think, like rockstar being the only one with a license and the creator of euphoria not working on it anymore or some shit.

CGNoire

This is crazy. I think we might have finally made it across the uncanny valley.

Nothing about this felt uncanny or unsettling to me.
Yes my thoughts exactly. Truly gobsmackingly animated.

While we wont get Pathtraced visuals like that anytime soon we may if where lucky get a taste of that animation quality. Fingers crossed.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes my thoughts exactly. Truly gobsmackingly animated.

While we wont get Pathtraced visuals like that anytime soon we may if where lucky get a taste of that animation quality. Fingers crossed.
I think the digital acting is still a bit unnatural, this tech was made for ND.

Yes, I praised SM2 primarily for it's rendering of the city miles into the distance and also for it's significant expansion and improvement of RT reflections. You don't have to agree about the significance, and I wouldn't blame you for doing so, but you can't say I didn't mention specifics. With that being said, can you share with us what exactly about Starfield's visuals are you excited about within the context of current gen/this thread?
I actually agree with your opinion on Spider-Man 2 with the city probably being the one biggest improvement over previous entries in the franchise. With Starfield we have on the one hand character models that are probably a generation behind. On the other hand they have a stunning marriage of art and technology that is capable of producing some amazing visuals.

Technology wise as DF have pointed out is not particularly next-gen taken as individual parts but as a whole it's more than the sum of its part's IMO. Real time Global Illumination, tessellation on the ground, Cubemaps (instead of SSR), per object motion blur and camera motion blur etc. Colour grading is also superb, draw distance, LOD are all high level. It all combines to create IMO a beautiful looking game.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Can’t wait for games with this level of graphic fidelity…

James Earl Jones Reaction GIF

Maybe on PS8.

That is movie quality CGI. Not happening in a game for years.

You severely underestimate how quickly technology advances. Going by history, a hypothetical PS8 would launch ~2040, 20 yr gap. Here is a screenshot from one of the best looking games 20 years ago running on the best console hardware.

cABRabV.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

You severely underestimate how quickly technology advances. Going by history, a hypothetical PS8 would launch ~2040, 20 yr gap. Here is a screenshot from one of the best looking games 20 years ago running on the best console hardware.

cABRabV.jpg
The technology is there to do it already. A AAA game built from the ground up for the 40xx GPU's could easily do that video, today.
But the talent, risk taking, and ambition is not there. Its not a tech issue but a talent/ambition/budget issue.

amigastar

cABRabV.jpg
Yeah, thats definitely a guarantee that games in 2040 will be on another level and todays graphics will look like, well the screen you posted.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Btw, i rewatched the starfield deep dive, the game is uneven AF.

The human faces are trash but their dresses are actually pretty detailed
some terrain looks flat and ugly, some looks great
some objects look low poly but then alien creatures and weapons look like some of the best out there

Overall it looks like a mix of past gen, crossgen and i guess nextgen for the light system (if it's TRUE rtgi on a galaxy level)

Last edited:
Yeah why not PS10:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Ps6 during in/engine cutscenes seems realistic enough.

You haven't even seen a fully nextgen game from naughty dog, let's see tlou 3 before being so pessimistic.

ND had a chance to at least show a LITTLE of what's possible with the LoU1 remake. They showed us nothing new. I'm still salty about this. It's the LEAST THEY should've done considering it costs $70 and was on PS5. At the very least we should seen the character model detail from LoU2 e3 2018 in LoU part 1.

Top Bottom