• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Btw, i rewatched the starfield deep dive, the game is uneven AF.

The human faces are trash but their dresses are actually pretty detailed
some terrain looks flat and ugly, some looks great
some objects look low poly but then alien creatures and weapons look like some of the best out there

Overall it looks like a mix of past gen, crossgen and i guess nextgen for the light system (if it's TRUE rtgi on a galaxy level)

You mean on PC? Cause there's no RT on Series X.

I doubt Starfield will have rt gi in vanilla version even on PC.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You mean on PC? Cause there's no RT on Series X.

I doubt Starfield will have rt gi in vanilla version even on PC.
They literally said real time global illumination in the deep dive, i'm sure they were also talking about the console version.

Probably one of the reasons for the 30 fps.

GymWolf

Gold Member
ND had a chance to at least show a LITTLE of what's possible with the LoU1 remake. They showed us nothing new. I'm still salty about this. It's the LEAST THEY should've done considering it costs $70 and was on PS5. At the very least we should seen the character model detail from LoU2 e3 2018 in LoU part 1.
That game was made mostly by bend and probably in a short time\low budget, it's a shitty remake that looks barely better than a ps4 game.

ND is smart, they are gonna use 1440p or the most resource gentle upscaling tech to reach 4k, 30 fps only and the rest of the power for the actual graphic.

Last edited:
RDR2 had GI too. It's a catch all term for any kind of light bouncing tech no matter how low quality it is.
Yup I remember there was some fif-faf around Demons Souls having ray-tracing because one of the developers said it had some sort of real time dynamic GI system, I don't even remember but yes it wasn't RTGI.

Lethal01

If these are the most beautiful ones in your opinion then it's easy to see why you're underwhelmed. Most people here who like Starfield would say those are the the least impressive shots.
Okay, show me the best, show me a screenshot or to of the midblowling landscape you are seeing, artistically the game just looks mediocre.

This is nextgen.

This is how tlou3 should look during cinematics.
You severely underestimate how quickly technology advances. Going by history, a hypothetical PS8 would launch ~2040, 20 yr gap. Here is a screenshot from one of the best looking games 20 years ago running on the best console hardware.

cABRabV.jpg

You severly underestimate the amount of power it takes to go from the best looking realtime graphics to the level of pre rendered cinematics, You may see something and think that it only looks twice as good but it doesn't matter how you feel about it, it takes 100x more power to run.

OCASM

Banned
James Earl Jones Reaction GIF

You severely underestimate how quickly technology advances. Going by history, a hypothetical PS8 would launch ~2040, 20 yr gap. Here is a screenshot from one of the best looking games 20 years ago running on the best console hardware.

cABRabV.jpg
To be fair, Moore's law is pretty much dead. I don't know if we can keep expecting major technological advances every gen.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I know this thread is chasing more the hyper realistic genre of technical showcases but, Jusant demo on PC blew my mind last night. When the art style is perfectly expressed via pixels on a screen, i don't care much about anything else. This is a beauty on unreal engine 5. It feels like a CG demo from earlier days but filled to the brim with geometry (nanite?).

It's Ico (without annoying hand holding) + Mirror's edge color popping esthetics.

On another subject, it not an attainable rig for most peoples as its $$$$, but i can't believe how immersive these sim rigs are

Or with VR and motion rig

I need this!

Last edited:

alloush

Could this be why the graphics suck? Rushed to meet the movie.

This, plus doubling the city size (why? The first game was already kinda lacking density. They shouldve gone narrow but high detail instead of wider with Spiderman 2 ..muh big open world tho
Huh, actually makes you think. I don’t think it is a coincidence honestly, both releasing in October. Funny thing is I wasn’t even aware there was a Kraven movie lol.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

Huh, actually makes you think. I don’t think it is a coincidence honestly, both releasing i. October. Funny thing is I wasn’t even aware there was a Kraven movie lol.
GOW and Horizon tv shows will also release when the next installment in each series comes out
"I don't believe in coincidences"

The horizon FW fellatio is hitting parody levels. It’s a good looking, hell it’s a great looking souped up PS4 game. But it can’t hang with the next Gen only big boys in my opinion. (Read again: “in. My. Opinion.”)

I’m convinced it’s GIF friendly nature, vibrant high contrast color palette, and BRIGHT lighting have fooled many into thinking it can actually hang with all of the upcoming and already released next Gen only games out there. only WOW moment I had with it was the photorealistic clouds in burning shores and Aloys character model in photo mode. To me, it’s maybe about on par with Rift Apart if not a little better, destroys the likes of say Spider-Man 2, TLOUP1, Star Wars Jedi, dead space remake, GOW:R. And trades blows with the demon souls remake, if not slightly below DS for me. And of course it gets destroyed by the matrix demo. Goes without saying.

But looking ahead at avatar, fable, starfield (yes I’m aware of the character models, still stand by it), and that new Star Wars game? Oh my god. They mop the floor with horizon. They expose it as the cute cross Gen game it always has been. When I pick up FF16 I look forward to seeing how that stacks up graphically. I reckon it’ll trounce horizon 2 in some parts but get trounced in others.

Last edited:

mxbison

That's so awesome. It's been way too long since we had a big advance in making games more immersive. The worlds are bigger and look nicer but it's still all just a facade. No physics, no real interaction with NPCs.

This could be the biggest jump since 2D -> 3D.

alloush

That's so awesome. It's been way too long since we had a big advance in making games more immersive. The worlds are bigger and look nicer but it's still all just a facade. No physics, no real interaction with NPCs.

This could be the biggest jump since 2D -> 3D.
Yeah, honestly when I watched that I was in awe of the tech. This would be one of the biggest jumps in videogame history like you mentioned. We need immersion and immersive worlds, proper interactions, realistic NPCs etc. Keeping an eye out on this tech and its evolution.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
FFXVI Screenshots. Post-demo so I'm slapping spoiler tags on these bad boys. #4-5 are from a particularly stunning scene in terms of lighting but sadly the image most likely won't do justice.

IxzBDb9.jpg
SMc88X5.jpg
CReJeyK.jpg
cP8ntJa.jpg
7xBR8gQ.jpg

Last edited:

SABRE220

FFXVI Screenshots. Post-demo so I'm slapping spoiler tags on these bad boys. #4-5 are from a particularly stunning scene in terms of lighting but sadly the image most likely won't do justice.

IxzBDb9.jpg
SMc88X5.jpg
CReJeyK.jpg
cP8ntJa.jpg
7xBR8gQ.jpg
The game looks great in darker scenes but i well-lit scenes the lighting looks very flat almost reminiscent of ff14 obviously the fidelity is much better. I wish the game was more consistent visually but damn the highs seem to be stunning.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The game looks great in darker scenes but i well-lit scenes the lighting looks very flat almost reminiscent of ff14 obviously the fidelity is much better. I wish the game was more consistent visually but damn the highs seem to be stunning.

Fair point.

CGNoire

I know this thread is chasing more the hyper realistic genre of technical showcases but, Jusant demo on PC blew my mind last night. When the art style is perfectly expressed via pixels on a screen, i don't care much about anything else. This is a beauty on unreal engine 5. It feels like a CG demo from earlier days but filled to the brim with geometry (nanite?).

It's Ico (without annoying hand holding) + Mirror's edge color popping esthetics.

On another subject, it not an attainable rig for most peoples as its $$$$, but i can't believe how immersive these sim rigs are

Or with VR and motion rig

I need this!

Jusant?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The horizon FW fellatio is hitting parody levels. It’s a good looking, hell it’s a great looking souped up PS4 game. But it can’t hang with the next Gen only big boys in my opinion. (Read again: “in. My. Opinion.”)

I’m convinced it’s GIF friendly nature, vibrant high contrast color palette, and BRIGHT lighting have fooled many into thinking it can actually hang with all of the upcoming and already released next Gen only games out there. only WOW moment I had with it was the photorealistic clouds in burning shores and Aloys character model in photo mode. To me, it’s maybe about on par with Rift Apart if not a little better, destroys the likes of say Spider-Man 2, TLOUP1, Star Wars Jedi, dead space remake, GOW:R. And trades blows with the demon souls remake, if not slightly below DS for me. And of course it gets destroyed by the matrix demo. Goes without saying.

But looking ahead at avatar, fable, starfield (yes I’m aware of the character models, still stand by it), and that new Star Wars game? Oh my god. They mop the floor with horizon. They expose it as the cute cross Gen game it always has been. When I pick up FF16 I look forward to seeing how that stacks up graphically. I reckon it’ll trounce horizon 2 in some parts but get trounced in others.
It's still technically the best looking game on any platform. Burning shores' clouds are indeed a wow moment. But yes, all you have to do is go back and start playing it again and its shortcomings becoming obvious as you can see below.

You can find ugly screenshots of any game, but what these screenshots do is point out several sacrifices they had to make in order to get this game running on PS4.

- underwhelming lighting in many areas
- low level of detail on rocks and stones, not just mountains in the distance. see first screenshot.
- some really bad looking grass in several areas. very odd considering foliage rendering is the game's strong suit
- simply poor interiors
- poor LODs in the distance. Flying exposes just how bad some trees look from the distance especially palm trees.
- just a general lack of object density. you wont notice it because they do such a good job with the cinematography but a lot of the times they have the same foliage, textures and other objects repeating. i get that its supposed to be procedurally generated but Burning Shores is the first time i picked up on how simple the environments are in Horizon. At first I thought it was too much detail that was giving me an eye sore, but its actually the opposite. everything blends in because there isnt enough differentiating between different trees, foliage, and other world objects.

FUTDihaWYAA4yj3

FMOkGR-XMAALB2c

FMFvR8YXwAItxPw

FyjcrxyXoAYVOq5

Fyjc6ZhWAAc0wjM

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

FyjcrQDXoAY1muX

This is one of the few games where I took more ugly screenshots than good screenshots. It's surprisingly inconsistent.

Msamy

It's still technically the best looking game on any platform. Burning shores' clouds are indeed a wow moment. But yes, all you have to do is go back and start playing it again and its shortcomings becoming obvious as you can see below.

You can find ugly screenshots of any game, but what these screenshots do is point out several sacrifices they had to make in order to get this game running on PS4.

- low level of detail on rocks and stones, not just mountains in the distance. see first screenshot.
- some really bad looking grass in several areas. very odd considering foliage rendering is the game's strong suit
- simply poor interiors
- poor LODs in the distance. Flying exposes just how bad some trees look from the distance especially palm trees.
- just a general lack of object density. you wont notice it because they do such a good job with the cinematography but a lot of the times they have the same foliage, textures and other objects repeating. i get that its supposed to be procedurally generated but Burning Shores is the first time i picked up on how simple the environments are in Horizon. At first I thought it was too much detail that was giving me an eye sore, but its actually the opposite. everything blends in because there isnt enough differentiating between different trees, foliage, and other world objects.

FUTDihaWYAA4yj3

FMOkGR-XMAALB2c

FMFvR8YXwAItxPw

FyjcrxyXoAYVOq5

Fyjc6ZhWAAc0wjM

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

FyjcrQDXoAY1muX

This is one of the few games where I took more ugly screenshots than good screenshots. It's surprisingly inconsistent.
That's exactly what makes avatar looks better , that's aside I think death stranding 2 and horizon 3 will look far better than hfw , I searched on the LinkedIn profiles for guerilla , naughty dog any sony santa monica programmer's and I found that guriella games have many experienced programmer's than any other sony studio's and they even add more talents right now which make me believe decima engine are major part of sony future plans , also naughty dog have very high profile programmer's (who don't leave the studio since 2008 ) and I can't wait to see their new rendering engine ingame graphics.

Last edited:

- simply poor interiors

FUTDihaWYAA4yj3

FMOkGR-XMAALB2c

FMFvR8YXwAItxPw

FyjcrxyXoAYVOq5

Fyjc6ZhWAAc0wjM

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

FyjcrQDXoAY1muX

I disagree on the first sentence. But I’m open to changing my mind. Could you expand on how it is “technically” the best looking game on any platform?

Cause to me it looks great but I’d call that a sizable exaggeration. What’s under the hood that makes it so impressive? No advanced physics or simulations or anything to my knowledge?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I disagree on the first sentence. But I’m open to changing my mind. Could you expand on how it is “technically” the best looking game on any platform?

Cause to me it looks great but I’d call that a sizable exaggeration. What’s under the hood that makes it so impressive? No advanced physics or simulations or anything to my knowledge?
I meant technically until better looking games come out later this year or next year. Not technically as if its doing technical things better than other games.

As inconsistent as HFW can be, i still find it more consistent than Cyberpunk and Ratchet, the other two contenders. nothing released so far this year has come close. Matrix obviously looks better but not a real game.

Msamy

I can't wait for crytek to show crysis 4 running in cryengine 6 , according to linkedin profiles they highly increased programmer's team and have many talented programmer's and in their profiles they clearly sure that crysis 4 will return the status ( can it run crysis)

I meant technically until better looking games come out later this year or next year. Not technically as if its doing technical things better than other games.

As inconsistent as HFW can be, i still find it more consistent than Cyberpunk and Ratchet, the other two contenders. nothing released so far this year has come close. Matrix obviously looks better but not a real game.
I think DS takes it. Parts of ratchet take it. But that’s just me.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

- simply poor interiors

FUTDihaWYAA4yj3

FMOkGR-XMAALB2c

FMFvR8YXwAItxPw

FyjcrxyXoAYVOq5

Fyjc6ZhWAAc0wjM

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

FyjcrQDXoAY1muX

Dude you've been on a roll with your takes over the past week or so. Who are you and what have you done with the real SlimySnake!?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I’m expecting 720p in battles, 1080p environments with framerate variable around 25-55 in an AAA game made by a multi-million dollar company

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ff16 quality mode. No spoilers. Just some combat and early area.
Just look how amazing it loks when the light hits correctly.

It's just a ragdolled enemy.
0j93hDR.jpg

The guys in the back don't have shadows because they are in shade but the knight in front does have a shadow. it's just very subtle. Should probably be harsher.
But even so, I love how the pbr materials on armours. They have some problems in shaded areas but when there is light, it looks very good
RLuNmlJ.jpg

Y7GkqMV.jpg

Just a random dead enemy up close in photo mode:
kQPAQxq.jpg

Some shots in the forest look great
LKaZ0h0.jpg

And this is how HDR looks. HGIG. I later switched to DTM with dtm calivration and it also looks good. Game uses ps5 system level calibration. This is why I insist that HDR is so important. Even though iphone shot does not show it enough, it's better than just a screenshot
JjQhaNA.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom