• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Damn I cannot wait until these games people claim look better than Horizon FW actually ship so we can see how wildly inconsistent they are, Hell some of us can see how last gen in some spots that Avatar and Starfield look already in their trailer form and they're only trying to show us the good stuff. Point is the bigger the game the more inconsistencies you'll find HFW's performance combined with its visuals will be hard to beat and yes it does look as good/better than these GIFS some are posting when I'm actually playing the game on my OLED in performance mode I have no clue what tv some of you have 😆. If these fall games in fact do pass Horizon's visuals then it's an awesome moment for the industry because we need more devs pushing graphics forward. Sh%! man I'm almost afraid to praise FF16 visuals in here 🤣 game looks amazing at times to me albeit wildly inconsistent

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ff16 quality mode. No spoilers. Just some combat and early area.
Just look how amazing it loks when the light hits correctly.

It's just a ragdolled enemy.
0j93hDR.jpg

The guys in the back don't have shadows because they are in shade but the knight in front does have a shadow. it's just very subtle. Should probably be harsher.
But even so, I love how the pbr materials on armours. They have some problems in shaded areas but when there is light, it looks very good
RLuNmlJ.jpg

Y7GkqMV.jpg

Just a random dead enemy up close in photo mode:
kQPAQxq.jpg

Some shots in the forest look great
LKaZ0h0.jpg

And this is how HDR looks. HGIG. I later switched to DTM with dtm calivration and it also looks good. Game uses ps5 system level calibration. This is why I insist that HDR is so important. Even though iphone shot does not show it enough, it's better than just a screenshot
JjQhaNA.jpg

This is the best HDR I've seen to date. I'm personally not a fan of DTM because I think it understayes the shadows too much and the visuals become less grounded but to each their own. And this is the perfect game that champion's your love of motion blur lol. It's truly doing phenomenal work here. The lighting is excellent and I would sacrifice Horizons high resolution in a heartbeat if it meant the lighting could be on par with FFXVI.

Damn I cannot wait until these games people claim look better than Horizon FW actually ship so we can see how wildly inconsistent they are, Hell some of us can see how last gen in some spots that Avatar and Starfield look already in their trailer form and they're only trying to show us the good stuff. Point is the bigger the game the more inconsistencies you'll find HFW's performance combined with its visuals will be hard to beat and yes it does look as good/better than these GIFS some are posting when I'm actually playing the game on my OLED in performance mode I have no clue what tv some of you have 😆. If these fall games in fact do pass Horizon's visuals then it's an awesome moment for the industry because we need more devs pushing graphics forward. Sh%! man I'm almost afraid to praise FF16 visuals in here 🤣 game looks amazing at times to me albeit wildly inconsistent
I mean calling avatar and starfield “at times” last gen looking still puts them ahead of horizon which is literally through and through a last gen game from the ground up. It’s core assets and environments and lighting are last gen. This is simply a fact.

Msamy

The thing that you can't compare any game that uses pre backed lighting and screen space reflections effects (hfw) with game that uses ray tracing global illumination , reflections and micro detailing system (like nanite)(avatar) , that said hfw have better character models , pbr materials and clouds systems which make me think of one thing that when other games like horizon 3 and death stranding 2 uses true next gen technology within decima engine they will absolutely looking better or on par with best looking games at the time of their release ( I think release of ps5 pro will help them), but now games like upcoming avatar and cyperpunk (overdrive) will set the par, also I am pretty sure that naughty dog developed new rendering engine for its next game , crytek developed a complete revamped cryengine 6 , rockstar developed rage engine 9 and other top developers revamped their engines , I can't wait to see those new technologies in action alongside unreal engine 5 (witcher remake and gears 6) in the future

Last edited:
I mean calling avatar and starfield “at times” last gen looking still puts them ahead of horizon which is literally through and through a last gen game from the ground up. It’s core assets and environments and lighting are last gen. This is simply a fact.
Yup all true and we've seen current gen only games already released that still haven't surpassed it

Yup all true and we've seen current gen only games already released that still haven't surpassed it
I think we’ve also seen current gen only releases that have. And most certainly the new batch everyone’s talking about, the fantastic four of SF, Avatar, SW, and Fable look leagues better to me.

Plus I’d argue the games I’m sure you have in mind (TLOU1, Dead Space Remake, maybe that respawn Star Wars game) are really a bunch of cross Gen games in next Gen clothing if we trace back the development. I think that’s why the new batch looks so much better, cause it’s built from the ground up next gen vs “yeah uh we basically just cancelled the PS4, XB1 ports” next Gen

Last edited:
I think we’ve also seen current gen only releases that have. And most certainly the new batch everyone’s talking about, the fantastic four of SF, Avatar, SW, and Fable look leagues better to me.

Plus I’d argue the games I’m sure you have in mind (TLOU1, Dead Space Remake, maybe that respawn Star Wars game) are really a bunch of cross Gen games in next Gen clothing if we trace back the development. I think that’s why the new batch looks so much better, cause it’s built from the ground up next gen vs “yeah uh we basically just cancelled the PS4, XB1 ports” next Gen
Yeah i was focused only on games released up to this point in which I didn't know Dead Space and Star Wars had cross-gen roots makes sense

Starfield isn't as far ahead of HFW as you think it is, HFW beats it out in several areas especially when it comes to facial animations, character IQ and geometry.

Bethesda developers even admitted it wasn't going to look as good as HFW lmao

Starfield isn't as far ahead of HFW as you think it is, HFW beats it out in several areas especially when it comes to facial animations, character IQ and geometry.

Bethesda developers even admitted it wasn't going to look as good as HFW lmao
Lol no. One, (fired) whistle blower over a year ago before the first gameplay showcase said the lighting probably isn’t gonna be as good as HFW.

There was no developer(s) plural saying the game as a whole wouldn’t look as good as horizon.

It already looks better than horizon in basically every regard except character models.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Ff16 quality mode. No spoilers. Just some combat and early area.
Just look how amazing it loks when the light hits correctly.

It's just a ragdolled enemy.
0j93hDR.jpg

The guys in the back don't have shadows because they are in shade but the knight in front does have a shadow. it's just very subtle. Should probably be harsher.
But even so, I love how the pbr materials on armours. They have some problems in shaded areas but when there is light, it looks very good
RLuNmlJ.jpg

Y7GkqMV.jpg

Just a random dead enemy up close in photo mode:
kQPAQxq.jpg

Some shots in the forest look great
LKaZ0h0.jpg

And this is how HDR looks. HGIG. I later switched to DTM with dtm calivration and it also looks good. Game uses ps5 system level calibration. This is why I insist that HDR is so important. Even though iphone shot does not show it enough, it's better than just a screenshot
JjQhaNA.jpg
woah that forest looks amazing!

Almost as good as this next gen game:

125eb30bfab1d345.45012376-tloupii_narrative_still_09.jpg

winjer

Please post an example of what you've seen of modded Skyrim that looks better than Starfield.

The detail on the textures. The much larger amount and density of vegetation. The sky global illumination.
Pretty much everything here looks better than on Starfield.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Again, it's one thing to be inconsistent, it's another thing altogether to be lacking in object density, LOD management, draw distance, asset quality, and all the other things I mentioned and those screenshots showcased. Those are last gen traits that are not the fault of GG, but the fault of the hardware they tied themselves to.

Are you seriously arguing that if Horizon 3 comes out with the same object density, asset quality, flying speeds and draw distance, you would be happy with it? Are you arguing that Horizon 3 wont be a gigantic leap over HFW2?

Even if Starfield and Avatar fail to blow away Horizon FW, there will be other next gen games next year or two years from now that will do basic things like better lighting and asset quality. Hell, boot up Burning shores and go in the cauldron. It is leagues ahead of any other indoor area in the game. It's almost like it was plucked in from a different game both in terms of lighting and asset quality.

Musilla

Realistic look vs more vivid look, some people prefer the first one.

Also hero light vs somehow realistic illumination.
Horizon is not always so vivid, do you really find those forests or mountains more realistic in Starfield than in Horizon? I respect all opinions but it's not just lighting, modeling, textures, foliage, interaction... and I don't see that realism in Starfield that is missing in Forbidden West, a matter of taste I suppose.

winjer

You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. There is no Skyrim mod that adds GI, much less RTGI, on the level on Starfield.

Good day.

You can add RTGI with Pascal Glitcher mod, on almost any game. Seems like you know very little about modding games.

And the vegetation is Starfield is pathetic, compared to modded Skyrim.

HPM4T5F.gif

9LhJjfI.jpg

Alex11

You can add RTGI with Pascal Glitcher mod, on almost any game. Seems like you know very little about modding games.

HPM4T5F.gif

9LhJjfI.jpg

I've always found every modded version of Skyrim to look off, don't know exactly what it is. Even in this video, it is clearly lacking in shadows and AO.

I've always said that you can't slap some hi-res textures or RTGI and it will make any game better looking, especially if said game is open world. That's why, even Cyberpunk with the amazing lighting of Overdrive has some inconsistencies, some scenes look so dull and ugly.

winjer

I've always found every modded version of Skyrim to look off, don't know exactly what it is. Even in this video, it is clearly lacking in shadows and AO.

I've always said that you can't slap some hi-res textures or RTGI and it will make any game better looking, especially if said game is open world. That's why, even Cyberpunk with the amazing lighting of Overdrive has some inconsistencies, some scenes look so dull and ugly.

Depends on the ENB you use.

Also, some global illumination systems make shadows less visible. For example:

SSGI Off, so SSAO is used:
HighresScreenshot00003.jpg

Just checked SSGI in project settings, no other settings changed :
HighresScreenshot00004.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
Horizon is not always so vivid, do you really find those forests or mountains more realistic in Starfield than in Horizon? I respect all opinions but it's not just lighting, modeling, textures, foliage, interaction... and I don't see that realism in Starfield that is missing in Forbidden West, a matter of taste I suppose.
I was talking in general, not my personal opinion.

I do prefer horizon graphically but starfield looks surprisingly good for a bethesda game.

Are you seriously arguing that if Horizon 3 comes out with the same object density, asset quality, flying speeds and draw distance, you would be happy with it? Are you arguing that Horizon 3 wont be a gigantic leap over HFW2?

Even if Starfield and Avatar fail to blow away Horizon FW, there will be other next gen games next year or two years from now that will do basic things like better lighting and asset quality. Hell, boot up Burning shores and go in the cauldron. It is leagues ahead of any other indoor area in the game. It's almost like it was plucked in from a different game both in terms of lighting and asset ququality.
No that's not my argument at all I said nothing that's been released so far looks better than it and we should actually wait until Starfield and Avatar release until we crown them we've seen way too many downgrades from this industry throughout the years. I'm also not arguing that Horizon is the best we'll see for the rest of the generation that's a pretty extreme point of view 🤣 I'm optimistic it'll be past this year but I have to see it on my TV first. Your point about the cauldrons I've said the same many times that I wish the whole game looked that good it's incredible

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
rofif rofif already said it but let’s say it again. This is not a forest. This is a corridor dressed like a forest.
Yep. absolutely gorgeous looking area but not a good comparison.

here is what the game looks like in a semi open world area. Clear downgrade from that dense foliage corridor.

xk6bPzR.gif

htTfZpZ.gif

No that's not my argument at all I said nothing that's been released so far looks better than it and we should actually wait until Starfield and Avatar release until we crown them we've seen way too many downgrades from this industry throughout the years. I'm also not arguing that Horizon is the best we'll see for the rest of the generation that's a pretty extreme point of view 🤣 I'm optimistic it'll be past this year but I have to see it on my TV first. Your point about the cauldrons I've said the same many times that I wish the whole game looked that good it's incredible
I see. Nvm my post then. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Rheon

HPM4T5F.gif

9LhJjfI.jpg

If you think Pascal Gilcher’s RTGI add on is comparable to something built specifically for Starfield, then I don’t know what else to tell you.

Also, you’ve seen vegetation on one out of 1,000 planets.

winjer

If you think Pascal Gilcher’s RTGI add on is comparable to something built specifically for Starfield, then I don’t know what else to tell you.

Also, you’ve seen vegetation on one out of 1,000 planets.

You have no hands on experience with Starfield's RTGI, so don't try to push some narrative that it's the most advanced thing out there.
This is not CP 2077 with Patch Tracing.
You are free to show one planet that has vegetation as dense as Skyrim. One.

Alex11

I see some improvements to faces, I'm sure the Overdrive will look amazing most of the time, but still some weak effects, like fire and hope they tone down that bloom, sometimes it was too much, feeling like you just had eye surgery.

Also hope that new area doesn't look like that all the time, with the heaviest post process of smoke and whatnot making it greyish/orange.

Realistic look vs more vivid look, some people prefer the first one.

Also hero light vs somehow realistic illumination.
That’s what I was trying to illustrate in my earlier post. Cause to me? All I see in those comparisons is a arguably next gen character model walking through PS4 assets vs a bonafide next gen game. It just isn’t as gif friendly.

People jack off to horizon because it’s got that rich color palette that makes it look like the best thing ever in a little gif on your phone. But say take the second gif and turn off the wind simulation making the foliage move and it’s just a pretty standard looking third person cross gen game. I’m still taking starfield any day.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This looks amazing

It's super cool! Feels like an actual forest. Some of my best memories playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance is getting lost in forest on highest difficulty where you don't have a compass / map marker, running into random enemy camp super unprepared, barely making it out alive and wondering around looking at fucking stars to figure out my way to the nearest village. Just amazing stuff.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That’s what I was trying to illustrate in my earlier post. Cause to me? All I see in those comparisons is a arguably next gen character model walking through PS4 assets vs a bonafide next gen game. It just isn’t as gif friendly.

People jack off to horizon because it’s got that rich color palette that makes it look like the best thing ever in a little gif on your phone. But say take the second gif and turn off the wind simulation making the foliage move and it’s just a pretty standard looking third person cross gen game. I’m still taking starfield any day.
Not sure about the asset quality being nextgen over horizon but if you put it that way i could say that starfield looks like barely ps4 characters walking on nextgen(???) locations...you need to have both great characters and location to be considered a "bonafide" nextgen game.

Starfield is too uneven even location wise to be considered fully nextgen imo, i consider the title crossgen looking, like horizon.

And the difference in quality between the models in horizon and the models in starfield is bigger than the difference in locations since horizon can look like this location wise but none of starfield characters is ever gonna come close to horizon characters

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152030.jpg

rzoNd5.png

cUX0ppY.png
horizonforbiddenwest_t5kwg.png

And this is the base game, not the even the better looking dlc.

Last edited:

Rheon

You have no hands on experience with Starfield's RTGI, so don't try to push some narrative that it's the most advanced thing out there.
This is not CP 2077 with Patch Tracing.
You are free to show one planet that has vegetation as dense as Skyrim. One.

It doesn't have to be the most advanced thing out there. Realtime RTGI > screen-space 'RTGI'.

Not sure about the asset quality being nextgen over horizon but if you put it that way i could say that starfield looks like barely ps4 characters walking on nextgen(???) locations...you need to have both great characters and location to be considered a "bonafide" nextgen game.

Starfield is too uneven even location wise to be considered fully nextgen imo, i consider the title crossgen looking, like horizon.
Oh it is. Trust me. Horizon is using PS4 assets that look nicer at native 4K. Starfield PC requirements are quite hefty and was at least built around a minimum spec of 4tflops, little over double base PS4, with a little more RAM and a much better CPU. (Series S)

Last edited:

winjer

It doesn't have to be the most advanced thing out there. Realtime RTGI > screen-space 'RTGI'.

Pascal Giltcher RTGI is also a real time RTGI. The difference is that it only uses screen space information.
But even then, it probably will use more rays than Starfield. Let's remember that the hardware on the Series X is very weak for real time RT.
BTW, have you found a planet on Starfield that doesn't have pathetic vegetation?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh it is. Trust me. Horizon is using PS4 assets that look nicer at native 4K. Starfield PC requirements are quite hefty and was at least built around a minimum spec of 4tflops, little over double base PS4, with a little more RAM and a much better CPU. (Series S)
I trust my eyes dude, i saw a lot of shitty assets in starfield aswell unless you think that an even bigger open world tham horizon ,ade by fucking bethesda is not gonna have low res textures amd assets here and there.

Top Bottom