• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Not sure about the asset quality being nextgen over horizon but if you put it that way i could say that starfield looks like barely ps4 characters walking on nextgen(???) locations...you need to have both great characters and location to be considered a "bonafide" nextgen game.

Starfield is too uneven even location wise to be considered fully nextgen imo, i consider the title crossgen looking, like horizon.
As for calling the SF character barley ps4 and calling it a cross Gen game when it literally is a next Gen only game this gif sums up my feelings
Steve Brule What GIF

I trust my eyes dude, i saw a lot of shitty assets in starfield aswell unless you think that an even bigger open world tham horizon ,ade by fucking bethesda is not gonna have low res textures amd assets here and there.
Okay your eyes are subjective bro. I’m talking about actual asset quality and SF can push much more polygons and triangles (and does) than horizon can. That is a matter of fact. It’s like the temperature at which water boils. You can prefer the look of horizon though I’m not challenging that.

Which assets besides NPC character models did you find unimpressive in SF?

GymWolf

Gold Member
As for calling the SF character barley ps4 and calling it a cross Gen game when it literally is a next Gen only game this gif sums up my feelings
Steve Brule What GIF
I said that it is crossgen looking not that the game is crossgen, maybe read a bit better next time.

Forspoken is nextgen only and it looks like a ps4 title, it's not hard to understand.

This is not as impressive nor nextgen asset-y as you think it is dude
55vwtgai2i5b1.jpg

0l051hai2i5b1.jpg

gdx9xfai2i5b1.jpg

Wiq-uIDZNj55RRlE.jpg:large

4k-screenshots-never-thought-a-bgs-game-could-look-this-good-v0-7a3ynfai2i5b1.jpg

And if you can't see where the assets take a nosedive we have nothing to discuss anymore, not that having only nextgen assets in a big game like this was even feasible to begin with, but you do you.

Last edited:
I said that it is crossgen looking not that the game is crossgen, maybe read a bit better next time.

Forspoken is nextgen only and it looks like a ps4 title, it's not hard to understand.

This is not as impressive nor nextgen asset-y as you think it is dude
55vwtgai2i5b1.jpg

0l051hai2i5b1.jpg

gdx9xfai2i5b1.jpg

Wiq-uIDZNj55RRlE.jpg:large

4k-screenshots-never-thought-a-bgs-game-could-look-this-good-v0-7a3ynfai2i5b1.jpg

And if you can't see where the assets take a nosedive we have nothing to discuss anymore, not that having only nextgen assets in a big game like this was even feasible to begin with, but you do you.
LOL so pedantic. I read what you said it was me disagreeing that it looks cross gen. Cmon man.

And yeah those pics looks amazing to me. Sorry.

So you don't see the low res textures on the ground or the super flat surface in the last pic but you notice the ps4 assets on horizon?

Yeah we are done here:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
You’re too into this. “Super flat surface”? It’s a brown dirt trail lol. Why would that be tessellated as fuck? You go hiking in real life? Sometimes the ground is just… flat dude.

Don’t really see these low res ps2 textures either. Think you’re conflating with low res pictures. Cause it just looks like a pretty next gen game in some little pics on my phone

But I feel like you really want the cutesy “we’re done here” checkmate gotcha. So I’ll let you have it man

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You’re too into this. “Super flat surface”? It’s a brown dirt trail lol. Why would that be tessellated as fuck? You go hiking in real life? Sometimes the ground is just… flat dude.

Don’t really see these low res ps2 textures either. Think you’re conflating with low res pictures. Cause it just looks like a pretty next gen game in some little pics on my phone

But I feel like you really want the cutesy “we’re done here” checkmate gotcha. So I’ll let you have it man
Lmao.

So what are those low res assets in horizon that are worse compared to what i showed you?

I'm waiting.

Lmao.

So what are those low res assets in horizon that are worse compared to what i showed you?

I'm waiting.
Well wait no further. I have about 80 hours in horizon 2 on PS5 and about 2-4 maybe? On horizon 2 PS4.

I can tell you it’s literally the ps4 game, which is something of a small iteration on zero dawn I’d say graphically, with a very high native res so it looks like the cataracts was taken out of your eyes. And aloys character model has a decent boost. Not quite as big as you may think though. I was really let down when I downloaded it on ps4 to compare and I realized I’d been duped with the ps5 version. After you see it you can’t really unsee it.

So finally to answer your question, it’s less of low resolution assets per say more of just, decently impressive but not at all next gen or mind blowing PS4 assets shown in actual clarity without the 900p fuzz.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well wait no further. I have about 80 hours in horizon 2 on PS5 and about 2-4 maybe? On horizon 2 PS4.

I can tell you it’s literally the ps4 game, which is something of a small iteration on zero dawn I’d say graphically, with a very high native res so it looks like the cataracts was taken out of your eyes. And aloys character model has a decent boost. Not quite as big as you may think though. I was really let down when I downloaded it on ps4 to compare and I realized I’d been duped with the ps5 version. After you see it you can’t really unsee it.

So finally to answer your question, it’s less of low resolution assets per say more of just, decently impressive but not at all next gen or mind blowing PS4 assets shown in actual clarity without the 900p fuzz.
Nothingburger of a post, not that i was actually expecting proofs of those ps4 assets that looks worse than starfied assets.

Like dude, i fucking know that horizon is a beefed up ps4 game, it's what crossgen means.

But hearing that starfield somehow has those legendaries nextgen assets over horizon is absurd, especially when i showed you clear example of bad textures in 5 pics for starfield aswell.

And yes, characters in starfield are ps4 level, go watch some character rendering from killzone shadow fall, a ps4 launch game, let's not even go into the order territory (or better) or you are gonna kill yourself:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

P.s. just for the record, i had lasik operation 20 years ago, My sight is around 13-14\10 or 23-24\20 for american folks, a bit more and i could basically look throught walls, but nice try.

Last edited:
Nothingburger of a post, not that i was actually expecting proofs of those ps4 assets that looks worse than starfied assets.

Like dude, i fucking know that horizon is a beefed up ps4 game, it's what crossgen means.

But hearing that starfield somehow has those legendaries nextgen assets over horizon is absurd, especially when i showed you clear example of bad textures in 5 pics for starfield aswell.

And yes, characters in starfield are ps4 level, go watch some character rendering from killzone shadow fall, a ps4 launch game, let's not even go into the order territory (or better) or you are gonna kill yourself:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

P.s. just for the record, i had lasik operation 20 years ago, i see 13-14\10 or 23-24\20 for american folks, a bit more and i could basically look throught walls, but nice try.
Stopped reading after the first 4 words. Not productive. Now we’re just 2 dudes arguing on a forum.

It’s clear you’re incredulous to what I’m saying and we just disagree. Neither of us will change the others mind and that’s not constructive. Also dude why are you takin this like I’m personally attacking you? I think I said before I’m not challenging if you prefer Horizon 2 and you keep taking it to this level of animosity and this “AH HA! You’re done!” Thing and its completely unnecessary man.

Last edited:

Msamy

I think Starfield looks good during to it's huge scale , and I think last showcases of games like avatar, star wars outlaw , death Stranding 2 and fable prove that next gen consoles have more power than many think because of last generation effect on current gen games I really hate that Sony and Microsoft force many developers (first and third party) to release their games in last gen consoles

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The starfield vs horizon debate is interesting because I can see the argument on both sides. However, in terms of next gen leaps, we are seeing a huge leap from Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 whereas the jump from the PS4 version of HFW and the PS5 version is very minimal. Some extra foliage, hero lighting on the character and farther draw distance, eh. PC settings id say.

The fact that a Bethesda game is even in the conversation for the best looking game of the gen is proof that it looks pretty good. These guys have been a gen behind Sony and other AAA studios every gen.

newps3_013.bmp.jpg

newps3_011.bmp.jpg

Yemen-Uncharted-3.jpg

11942349-assassins-creed-iii-benedict-arnold-playstation-3-chasing-after-.jpg

Fallout 4
900x.jpg

large.jpg

DC_Cj55XkAAJcCy.jpg:large

fwpq1xlbtt7z.jpg

Maybe in five years when ND, SSM and GG finally come out with next gen games, Starfield will look dated and last gen, but right now, it looks better than Spiderman and roughly on par with Horizon FW at the very least. I chose games that came out roughly the same timeframe as Skyrim and FO4, and you can see just how far behind Bethesda used to be.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Stopped reading after the first 4 words. Not productive. Now we’re just 2 dudes arguing on a forum.

It’s clear you’re incredulous to what I’m saying and we just disagree. Neither of us will change the others mind and that’s not constructive. Also dude why are you takin this like I’m personally attacking you? I think I said before I’m not challenging if you prefer Horizon 2 and you keep taking it to this level of animosity and this “AH HA! You’re done!” Thing and its completely unnecessary man.
You can't tell me that i have catarats or post funny gifs and getting offended if i put some snarky jackassery in my posts as a response, it doesn't work that way dude.

And i always speak like this in this topic because we are always the same members arguing so there is some sort of cameratism and bickering between us, i always spice up things, don't take it personal.

@slimy looking better from previous games kinda means jack shit tho, it only means that previous bethesda games looks way worse than previous guerrilla games.

Of course starfield is gonna look much better than the trash that was f76 unless i misunderstood your post.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I really hate that Sony and Microsoft force many developers (first and third party) to release their games in last gen consoles
I agree but at the same time, Sony has released SIX next gen only games from first party and FOUR 3rd party exclusives.

- Demon Souls
- Ratchet
- Astrobot
- Returnal
- TLOU Part 1
- Horizon Burning Shores

- deathloop
- Ghostwire tokyo
- forspoken - no offense to rofif
- FF16 - see above

None of these games even come close to looking next gen. We have literally spent the last two pages arguing if they look better than a HFW which is a PS4 game. Then you have third party non exclusives like star wars, dead space and gotham knights which look good but not again, not next gen enough even though i have a soft spot for star wars.

So should we blame the big bad publisher or the devs who have quite frankly phoned in these games. I think Spiderman 2 looking cross gen as fuck is proof that it aint Jimbo or Phil Spencer being cunts, it's something else.

P.S Druckman is literally the president of ND now and Sony is traditionally very hands off with their developers. Even the Redfall devs were complaining that MS was too hands off, and Cory Barlog said he was the one who decided that GOW needed to be cross gen. I would love to blame the publishers but its these devs man.

Last edited:

Msamy

I agree but at the same time, Sony has released SIX next gen only games from first party and FOUR 3rd party exclusives.

- Demon Souls
- Ratchet
- Astrobot
- Returnal
- TLOU Part 1
- Horizon Burning Shores

- deathloop
- Ghostwire tokyo
- forspoken - no offense to rofif
- FF16 - see above

None of these games even come close to looking next gen. We have literally spent the last two pages arguing if they look better than a HFW which is a PS4 game. Then you have third party non exclusives like star wars, dead space and gotham knights which look good but not again, not next gen enough even though i have a soft spot for star wars.

So should we blame the big bad publisher or the devs who have quite frankly phoned in these games. I think Spiderman 2 looking cross gen as fuck is proof that it aint Jimbo or Phil Spencer being cunts, it's something else.

P.S Druckman is literally the president of ND now and Sony is traditionally very hands off with their developers. Even the Redfall devs were complaining that MS was too hands off, and Cory Barlog said he was the one who decided that GOW needed to be cross gen. I would love to blame the publishers but its these devs man.
I think most of those next gen exclusive games built with last gen in mind , and they make them next-gen exclusive to help sell more consoles, also I agree with you that some developers deserve to blame them like insomniac with spiderman 2 , but after last events I think the future will be good

SlimySnake

Alright guys, new game for everyone to participate in.

I call it My Forspoken.

Everyone has a game they think looks next gen that makes everyone else go 'wtf is he smoking'. Rofif with Forspoken, ChiefDada with TLOU Part 1, winger with his modded Skyrim, Gymwolf's Remnant 2... I have a soft spot for star wars, etc.

So what's everyone Forspoken? AKA everyone's next gen game that you know full well most will disagree with?

You can't tell me that i have catarats or post funny gifs and getting offended if i put some snarky jackassery in my posts as a response, it doesn't work that way dude.

And i always speak like this in this topic because we are always the same members arguing so there is some sort of cameratism and bickering between us, i always spice up things, don't take it personal.

@slimy looking better from previous games kinda means jack shit tho, it only means that previous bethesda games looks way worse than previous guerrilla games.

Of course starfield is gonna look much better than the trash that was f76 unless i misunderstood your post.
I don’t know what the gif has anything to do with but I wasn’t saying YOU have cataracts I was saying horizon 2 ps4 to ps5 main difference is clarity as if you, ie, someone in general, had cataracts that was removed but was a metaphor to say like it’s way more clear for anyone. It wasn’t a jab.

alloush

I call it My Forspoken.

Everyone has a game they think looks next gen that makes everyone else go 'wtf is he smoking'. Rofif with Forspoken, ChiefDada with TLOU Part 1, winger with his modded Skyrim, Gymwolf's Remnant 2... I have a soft spot for star wars, etc.

So what's everyone Forspoken? AKA everyone's next gen game that you know full well most will disagree with?
Spidey 2

Just Kidding Jk GIF

Alex11

I call it My Forspoken.

To me, Cyberpunk, to be able to play an open world game with day/night cycle an have that lighting in real time is insane, IMO it can produce some truly amazing and at times almost photorealistic scenes.

A9PYT2m.jpg

I call it My Forspoken.

Guardians of the Galaxy.... 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️

To me, Cyberpunk, to be able to play an open world game with day/night cycle an have that lighting in real time is insane, IMO it can produce some truly amazing and at times almost photorealistic scenes.

A9PYT2m.jpg
Is this even controversial? I mean it doesn't get much more next gen than a lighting system in an already top notch AAA game that current gen consoles couldn't run at all.

SlimySnake

What I’m about to say may be controversial but Spider-Man 2 is forspoken levels of bad.

I don’t even know if it’s as good as dead space remake
Nah, Forspoken is something else. rofif posted these screenshots in the other threads as proof it looks amazing. at least his FF screenshot actually look decent and like Spiderman 2 might look cross gen, but at least not straight up awful like rofif's goto Forspoken shots lol.

xlrOQRQ.jpg

qUTqGKL.jpg

I have no idea whats going on with Spiderman 2. I dont know why they would add faster flying speeds to take advantage of the PS5 hardware, but then completely phone in the visual upgrade. I bet they are going to be using the same exact character models of Miles and Peter from the Miles expansion. It honestly makes no sense. Especially since their resolution drops to 1296p in the 30 fps mode. You have to wonder where this 10 tflops of GPU rendering power is going.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

I call it My Forspoken.

Gonna have to agree with ChiefDada and say TLOU Part 1.

As of now its easily the best looking linear 3rd person game out.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Which assets besides NPC character models did you find unimpressive in SF?

What I’m about to say may be controversial but Spider-Man 2 is forspoken levels of bad.

Considering your claims that Starfield has net-gen worthy assets, this level of craziness is just par for the course I guess. I mean just look at that next-gen vegetation! Yay, Starfield!

RlOz5zv.jpg

Speaking of Spider-Man 2, there has to be new visuals shown on Sunday at the Game Awards Concert right!!?

SlimySnake

Guardians of the Galaxy.... 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️
I actually agree with you on this. Absolutely stunning game that doesnt get enough praise. Some levels looked really fugly though.

FEsm6WBX0AIjZKx

A9PYT2m.jpg
It's a stunning game. Id rank cyberpunk 3rd or 4th on consoles, and 1st on PC but like HFW, its very uneven.

BTW, What did you think of the cyberpunk DLC video above? The overdrive path tracing comparisons with PS5 werent really worth such a massive GPU overhead (4x-5x?) in most scenes. A lot of time it just translated into better shadows. Even on side by side comparisons, im not seeing a day and night difference here. Even in scenes where its a noticeable difference, im not sure if its for the better. the tunnel for example is completely dark and the shadows inside the car hide all the detail. it's more accurate, but better?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
There was a early gen PS4 looking section in FFXVI that was so bad it would give Slimy a heart attack. I couldn't run fast enough to escape. But thankfully the next section was RT shadow heaven (These have to be RT shadows, I imagine. They're too good).

Considering your claims that Starfield has net-gen worthy assets, this level of craziness is just par for the course I guess. I mean just look at that next-gen vegetation! Yay, Starfield!

RlOz5zv.jpg

Speaking of Spider-Man 2, there has to be new visuals shown on Sunday at the Game Awards Concert right!!?
Oh fuck the tree in the bottom left corner isn’t photo realistic!? Chiefdada this can’t be bro. Bethesda is so done.

A tree not looking perfect is literally the exact same thing as an entire game looking the same as or worse than a PS4 game. How do people not see that?

There was a early gen PS4 looking section in FFXVI that was so bad it would give Slimy a heart attack. I couldn't run fast enough to escape. But thankfully the next section was RT shadow heaven (These have to be RT shadows, I imagine. They're too good).

I’ve heard this game is widely inconsistent

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Oh fuck the tree in the bottom left corner isn’t photo realistic!? Chiefdada this can’t be bro. Bethesda is so done.

A tree not looking perfect is literally the exact same thing as an entire game looking the same as or worse than a PS4 game. How do people not see that?

Dude, my last comment was not to be taken so seriously! I think Starfield's scope is more than enough to qualify as next gen. I'm just having fun with recent conversation in these threads. The sudden influx of current gen only games in 2nd half of 2023 has me in an awesome mood.

Dude, my last comment was not to be taken so seriously! I think Starfield's scope is more than enough to qualify as next gen. I'm just having fun with recent conversation in these threads. The sudden influx of current gen only games in 2nd half of 2023 has me in an awesome mood.
Haha I know I was messing around too man. Just a bit of friendly sarcasm

Lethal01

Still looks very nice due to the art.

Alex11

I actually agree with you on this. Absolutely stunning game that doesnt get enough praise. Some levels looked really fugly though.

FEsm6WBX0AIjZKx

It's a stunning game. Id rank cyberpunk 3rd or 4th on consoles, and 1st on PC but like HFW, its very uneven.

BTW, What did you think of the cyberpunk DLC video above? The overdrive path tracing comparisons with PS5 werent really worth such a massive GPU overhead (4x-5x?) in most scenes. A lot of time it just translated into better shadows. Even on side by side comparisons, im not seeing a day and night difference here. Even in scenes where its a noticeable difference, im not sure if its for the better. the tunnel for example is completely dark and the shadows inside the car hide all the detail. it's more accurate, but better?
Yep, you are so right it is uneven, that is why I said that "at times". I swear some shots are downright ugly, I just double check to make sure that the Overdrive is still on.

About the DLC video, I think some character faces are improved a bit, but other than that not very different than the OG, in fact the constant smoke and fire and looking all around greyish/orange doesn't look good or varied for me, hope it isn't a constant presence.
But yeah, nice point about some scenes looking darker, I noticed this in the OG as well, some look pitch black, and while it may be technically accurate, it does hide some detail as you said and what's most important, you can't see shit.
Half agree that is isn't worth the performance cost in some scenes, especially when you're in the open and there are no shadows near, but then there are those scenes that I almost wanna say that it's all worth it when it really makes an impact and it's very noticeable the realistic lighting, soft shadows and all the bounces.

CGNoire

I've always found every modded version of Skyrim to look off, don't know exactly what it is. Even in this video, it is clearly lacking in shadows and AO.

I've always said that you can't slap some hi-res textures or RTGI and it will make any game better looking, especially if said game is open world. That's why, even Cyberpunk with the amazing lighting of Overdrive has some inconsistencies, some scenes look so dull and ugly.
Its cause of the fact that Skyrim scale of objects is off. Shit looked like a moving Diaroma since release. No amount of texture replacement will change that.

For gods sake the largest mountain in game is a glorified Hill.

CGNoire

I call it My Forspoken.

Idk about "disagree with" but SW Outlaws seen on a large screen with a highbitrate still has alot of ps4 era limitations seeping through. Mostly with LODs and the fact that alot of the town areas seem claustrophobic or gamey in scale. In fact it reminded me of HFW in that alot of what where seeing as "next gen" often to me really seems like a massive increase in budget.

Now if the games cutscene graphics with self shadowing turned on reflected what the game looked like during actual gameplay then that would be a different story all together. Devs turn on self shadowing for heavens sake will ya.

Last edited:

CGNoire

FEsm6WBX0AIjZKx

I agree. Im a lighting whore to the 10th degree but the difference was very small most of the time. Maybe that new area isnt realtime lit and is actually baked.

CGNoire

Please tell me the game has better music than that?

Shit sounds like the Home Shopping Network or the music you hear when being put on Hold forever.

GymWolf

Gold Member

I call it My Forspoken.

No no, i know that remnant 2 doesn't look impressive at all graphic wise, my post was mostly to stealth promote the game so more people are gonna buy it:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Btw i tried the forest part in fr16, people really forget to mention all the low res assets in what is basically is a corridor that should look fucking pristine, of course you can't see them in gif or small pics...

I think the castle\fort area after the forest and the small village looks better than the forest tbh.

Last edited:
Demons Souls and Ratchet are absolutely next gen looking games. Not even a question.
I sound like a broken record now with this but the flamelurker boss arena is the most impressive thing I’ve seen all gen. The particles. The lighting. The textures. It looked so… pre rendered. I was in awe.

I mean the rest of the game looks phenomenal but THAT made me definitively go “yeah this is my personal graphics king for now”

40 hours into FFXVI, this game's world is much more realistic than Horizon Forbidden West. It just looks more real, horizons npcs are a million times better but the world of FFXVI is just crazy as fuck. Horizon looks like a video game world where as FFXVI just looks like a world. It's hard to explain.

This just looks more grounded to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom