• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
I love how everyone fucking forgot about re4 remake existence when it comes to graphic
40 hours into FFXVI, this game's world is much more realistic than Horizon Forbidden West. It just looks more real, horizons npcs are a million times better but the world of FFXVI is just crazy as fuck. Horizon looks like a video game world where as FFXVI just looks like a world. It's hard to explain.

This just looks more grounded to me.

Different use of colors, in terms of details it's not superior.

I love how everyone fucking forgot about re4 remake existence when it comes to graphic

Different use of colors, in terms of details it's not superior.
I think it is vastly superior, horizon has more realistic character models and water but that's it. Explosions are a weak point in Horizon and the foliage looks fake, like plastic, and is copy and pasted over and over again. Especially the sneaking grass.
Check my pics a page back when you hit the town, ridiculous detail.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think it is vastly superior, horizon has more realistic character models and water but that's it. Explosions are a weak point in Horizon and the foliage looks fake, like plastic, and is copy and pasted over and over again. Especially the sneaking grass.
I vastly disagree.

I just explored the forest last night and the amount of bad assets was surprising giving how fucking small that section is.

If i wasn't a lazy fuck i would red circle all the bad assets in the ff16 pics on page 135 of this topic, but if you are intellectually honest you should notice them by yourself because they are pretty evident.

All these games looks great, the devil is in the macrodetails and unfortunately, no game in existence has only high res assets and convincing textures everywhere, but ff16 should have less of them, since it's a much smaller game, i can forgive the forest in horizon, i kinda can't with what is a glorified corridor.

You are not gonna convince me that the forest in ff16 has much higher quality assets than hfw (because it's probably the opposite)

Go ahead, zoom a bit on those rocks, terrain, trees etc. In ff16 forest So we can see these vastly superior assets.

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152030.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is the first year we finally start seeing games that rival or look better than ps4 games. Especially witcher3 and
I vastly disagree.

I just explored the forest last night and the amount of bad assets was surprising giving how fucking small that section is.

If i wasn't a lazy fuck i would red circle all the bad assets in the ff16 pics on page 135 of this topic, but if you are intellectually honest you should notice them by yourself because they are pretty evident.

All these games looks great, the devil is in the macrodetails and unfortunately, no game in existence has only high res assets and convincing textures everywhere, but ff16 should have less of the, since it's a much smaller game, i can forgive the forest in horizon, i kinda can't with what is a glorified corridor.

You are not gonna convince me that the forest in ff16 has much higher quality assets than hfw (because it's probably the opposite)

Go ahead, zoom a bit on those rocks, terrain, trees etc. In ff16 forest So we can see these vastly superior assets.

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152030.jpg
The screenshot you posted is intro cutscene. In-game looks good but nowhere in game looks as good as that intro.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nextgen assets ladies and gentleman, linear game vs open world

VG247-FFXVI-Grapes-(1).jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220227101850.jpg

Lmao you can't make this shit up.

(Half joking but still, that should be the opposite of how it is)

Still waiting for those close ups on the forest to show those nextgen assets.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is the first year we finally start seeing games that rival or look better than ps4 games. Especially witcher3 and

The screenshot you posted is intro cutscene. In-game looks good but nowhere in game looks as good as that intro.
I'm searching for other forest pics as we speak but the cunts on reeee really like to take pics of beaches and animals:lollipop_squinting:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is my fav from HFW. Game looks downright insane. We are splitting haird which one looks better. Right now ff16 because I am playing it :D

Yeah but to analyze finer details you look some zoomed up 4k pics, and they are not easy to find.

Small zoomed out pics or gif are worthless when you have to judge how assets look from up close.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah but to analyze finer details you look some zoomed up stillframe 4k pics, and they are not easy to find.

Small zoomed out pics or gif are worthless when you have to judge how assets look from up close.

comparable scenario form ff16. Insane moment. tyimestamp 1:25:50 heavy spoilers about 10 hours in.

GymWolf

Gold Member
comparable scenario form ff16. Insane moment. tyimestamp 1:25:50 heavy spoilers about 10 hours in.

I don't want spoiler and i would not watch anything with that dude in it, i can't stand him:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But sure the game looks great, i think it has an advantage over horizon for rock\fort\castle textures, but them again, the villages in horizon don't even utilize the same materials so it's hard to compare, demons souls is the closest thing i think.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah but to analyze finer details you look some zoomed up 4k pics, and they are not easy to find.

I've got you fam. 4k HFW ps5 pics from me (realease date version)
All my pics with something green in it.

I'm searching for other forest pics as we speak but the cunts on reeee really like to take pics of beaches and animals:lollipop_squinting:
LMAO.
I don't know bout asset quality it just looks more real to my eye. It might be the color or the sheer density of it all. Horizon does look great, said that a million times. I have always had an issue with its foliage and explosions though. I think Horizon has the best water in gaming.
BvLMQl9.jpg
zgh7dc0.jpg
9WYpJ1N.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
LMAO.
I don't know bout asset quality it just looks more real to my eye. It might be the color or the sheer density of it all. Horizon does look great, said that a million times. I have always had an issue with its foliage and explosions though. I think it has the best water in gaming.
BvLMQl9.jpg
zgh7dc0.jpg
9WYpJ1N.jpg
Imo HDR elevates this game a lot. Looks bit washed out on pics but amazing on screen:
LsDAssm.jpg

prnwGvJ.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s insomniac lol. They will never make anything cutting edge, innovative or new. Best they can do is borrow ideas from better more talented developers and create a decent game out of them.
Insomniac lost their edge. Ratchet was edgy and cool. with 2016 remake they made him a bitch. Rift Apart is better but the spider character is crap, the wokeness is through the roof.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Oof, there's a stretch of FFXVI where the lighting quality drops to last gen levels. I do believe that some of these levels were made with PS4 in mind. Wildly inconsistent indeed. All the cutscenes with the exception of 2 remain God-tier though. I am curious now more than ever about the development process for this game.

Msamy

It’s insomniac lol. They will never make anything cutting edge, innovative or new. Best they can do is borrow ideas from better more talented developers and create a decent game out of them.
As much as I blame them for spiderman 2 graphics , I love original spiderman in ps4 and rift apart graphically and gameplay wise , also they currently the only sony studio that use ray tracing reflections and shadows other sony studio's didn't use any ray tracing features until now and lastly i hope insomniac fix spiderman 2 graphics before launch or at least build good rendering engine for wolverine

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
As much as I blame them for spiderman 2 graphics , I love original spiderman in ps4 and rift apart graphically and gameplay wise , also they currently the only sony studio that use ray tracing reflections and shadows other sony studio's didn't use any ray tracing features until now and lastly i hope insomniac fix spiderman 2 graphics before launch or at least build good rendering engine for wolverine

Exactly! Insomniac is the only studio directly pushing next gen tech from the very beginning! RT reflections, RT shadows, streaming tech for fast traversal and insane draw distance. Also pretty safe to assume upgrade to dynamic time of day based on the sun glitch from the gameplay trailer.

All of this and they get shit for it. Why? Because they dare show a slice of gameplay that is still work in progress. Y'all don't deserve Insomniac.

geary

Still the best looking game out, that's not using vibrant colors or flashy neon to hide imperfections.

Last edited:

alloush

One of the very rare times that I disagree with you, Slimy. I think Insomniac are a Tier A studio. Spidey 1 in 2018 was by far the best videogame for a comic book character ever made, Miles even topped that. R&C Rift Apart was a gorgeous game, it was being compared to Pixar when we first saw it back in 2020.

I think this is why we were so disappointed by Spidey 2, cuz our expectations for it were through the roof, and those expectations stem from the fact that we have come to expect the highest of highs from Insomniac. If they weren’t a top tier dev who have always released awesome games we wouldn’t have had high expectations for Spidey 2 which lead to the disappointment.

Last edited:

Msamy

Exactly! Insomniac is the only studio directly pushing next gen tech from the very beginning! RT reflections, RT shadows, streaming tech for fast traversal and insane draw distance. Also pretty safe to assume upgrade to dynamic time of day based on the sun glitch from the gameplay trailer.

All of this and they get shit for it. Why? Because they dare show a slice of gameplay that is still work in progress. Y'all don't deserve Insomniac.
Other studios this gen like guriella, masive , cdpr , playground , kojima and other top tier developers even insomniac themselves with rift apart , show graphically good slice of gameplay before their games release , insomniac deserve the blame, if the game doesn't ready to be showed they shouldn't have show it with those dissapointed graphics and as much as I like insomniac they dissapointed me as hell , also I really hope that the case with spiderman 2 as you said and it graphics will drastically change at the time of its release

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
FFXVI is the most beautiful game I've played. 👌

Nearly every cinematic and setpiece reminds me of why I fell in love with Sony 1st party games. This is MGS4 all over again. Some people don't like these aspects common in story driven games but I live for them. There is one specific sequence I want to discuss soooo bad but it's such a spoiler heavy moment I'll wait until we get a Spoiler OT. But my God was it so beautiful. I have never taken as many screenshots for any game as I have for FFXVI.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Other studios this gen like guriella, masive , cdpr , playground , kojima and other top tier developers even insomniac themselves with rift apart , show graphically good slice of gameplay before their games release , insomniac deserve the blame, if the game doesn't ready to be showed they shouldn't have show it with those dissapointed graphics and as much as I like insomniac they dissapointed me as hell , also I really hope that the case with spiderman 2 as you said and it graphics will drastically change at the time of its release

Yes this is true which is why I can't fault you guys too much for judging. I really hope we get new footage tomorrow.

Nearly every cinematic and setpiece reminds me of why I fell in love with Sony 1st party games. This is MGS4 all over again. Some people don't like these aspects common in story driven games but I live for them. There is one specific sequence I want to discuss soooo bad but it's such a spoiler heavy moment I'll wait until we get a Spoiler OT. But my God was it so beautiful. I have never taken as many screenshots for any game as I have for FFXVI.
I was so close to pulling the trigger than I read a review that’s like “it’s just corridor to corridor doing combat in little rooms between looooong cutscenes” and it kinda scared me off.

And I was watching gameplay trying to hype myself up and parts look kinda PS4y. Maybe I should just get it and form my own opinion

Man I think I have about 400 screenshots that I cant post because of spoilers. I took so many during that Titan fight.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Notlikethis.gif
The game looks better than TLOU 2 which already looks better than mostly everything g out there still. Plus the faces are still way better than any other game. I think it Looks better than Ragnarok, looks better than RE4 remake, looks better than Calisto. What else is there? Ratchet? Ok but there’s not many.

This gen has abysmally low standards.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I was so close to pulling the trigger than I read a review that’s like “it’s just corridor to corridor doing combat in little rooms between looooong cutscenes” and it kinda scared me off.

And I was watching gameplay trying to hype myself up and parts look kinda PS4y. Maybe I should just get it and form my own opinion

I don't understand the corridor comparison but no question there are indeed sections that look VERY PS4. Like early ps4 lol. I played through a lot of that yesterday. But like I said I love cinematics and I love large boss fights and setpieces. And these moments wipe the floor with any other current gen title to date. But some people don't like or value cinematics and for those folks I wouldn't recommend.

Once you begin to stack up your abilities you realize how much greater GoW combat could/should have been. The system is far deeper and flashier than GoW. Once the game gets going you can't win by button mashing. At the very least, you won't have nearly as much fun. I do wish the AI for lower level enemies was better though. Apparently it gets ramped up in NG+

Alex11

But like I said I love cinematics and I love large boss fights and setpieces. And these moments wipe the floor with any other current gen title to date. But some people don't like or value cinematics and for those folks I wouldn't recommend.
Ok, I like cinematics as much as the next guy, but if it's true what I've seen in some reviews that 75% of it is cinematics, then yeah, we have a problem. But I don't want to discuss it here nor did I play it so don't wanna say too much in this regard.

Anyone else having trouble enjoying FF16 because of the motion blur, fps, and camera?

FF7 Remake has a much better feeling fidelity mode because a)it doesn't have the insane amount of motion blur and b) the camera does not move automatically like FF16. The auto-camera can be turned on and off in FF7 but not FF16

Performance mode is too low res and doesn't even hold 60 fps (which it does perfectly on Ff7)

What pisses me off is both are games in the same franchise yet they went backwards with settings and lack of options in their newest game.

There simply is no good feeling way to play this game. It is def a fantastic looking game but I feel queezy every time I try to play it. Doesn't help I'm on an Oled c8.

Top Bottom