• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

unclbenn

missile-explosion.gif

Electric-Dreams-Env-Unreal-Editor-6-07-2023-1-40-25.jpg

Electric-Dreams-Env-Unreal-Editor-6-07-2023-1-49-23.jpg

Electric-Dreams-Env-Unreal-Editor-6-07-2023-1-42-58.jpg

Electric-Dreams-Env-Unreal-Editor-6-07-2023-1-44-11.jpg

Electric-Dreams-Env-Unreal-Editor-6-07-2023-1-45-28.jpg

Electric-Dreams-Env-Unreal-Editor-6-07-2023-1-46-12.jpg

Electric-Dreams-Env-Unreal-Editor-6-07-2023-1-50-28.jpg

UE5.2 finally released the forest demo, this is what i expected from current gen. But at this point im 100% sure that not even ND will match this quality this gen, maybe PS6.
dude this just looks like a next gen version on horizon. i think guerilla and naughty dog will reach these graphical highs. maybe not the same image quality though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Did you update to UE5.2? Just try it out it worked flawless for me.
thanks. I was still on the UE5 early access beta lol. MSI afterburner doesnt play well with UE5 at all.

As for the graphics, they were rather impressive, but not as impressive as the Matrix. The number of trees and the amount of foliage was very impressive for such a dense forest area but the actual asset quality reminded me of Lost Legacy's open world and some horizon forest areas. Not the massive generational leap I was expecting.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Now THIS is next gen! See how the forest is decorated with realistic shadows yet the game still maintains an artistic identity. Also look how beautifully the evening time of day is rendered.

The future is RT. By the end of the gen most of the games we've drooled over in this thread will be considered ugly and age very poorly. Even my beloved TLOU Pt.1.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Does it though? Look at how the foliage interacts with light

Everything in FF16 seems to be more grounded in the environment, possibly rt ao.
Those pics are good. ..They are also curiously unlike anything I've seen from the game until now, even better than all the cutscene shots posted in this thread. What just happened?

Edit: Well, shit, I need to do a retraction.. That's what I get for looking at the pictures on a phone.. It doesn't happen often, and it won't happen again..

Last edited:

E-Cat

IMO, U4 on PC [and PS5] has, more or less, already achieved this level of fidelity [with rasterisation and lower geometry detail ]
people tend to forget how detailed that game is, especially the second half of it with the dense jungle and its great lighting

01Y5vR9ZQGAFEhKdYVfhCRl-1..v1642785500.jpg

PS4 Screenshots:
cpgy24e42sl11.jpg

MV5BY2Y4YjRlYTctYTA5OS00MDQ0LWFiYmEtOWY3N2RhZjg4NDEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU2NDgzODU@._V1_.jpg

DC_Cj55XkAAJcCy.jpg:large
Yeah. I literally meant what I said -- no RT and high geometry on PS4, no (new) Uncharted on PS5; hence, Uncharted on PS6.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The game generally looks amazing. Some people are just pretending that it doesn't.
The game looks great, but I was asking why/how those specific pictures looks many times better than anything else posted when it comes to controllable action. It's not even remotely close to the non-cutscene screenshots that slimysnake just posted.

Last edited:

Alex11

Oh no. DF is about to throw this thread into chaos.

Key quote being "There's still some ways to go before FF games reach the peaks of the pre-rendered visuals featured in prior games."

And he also says that the game is approaching or exceeding in some areas Square Enix CGI, so not other games CGI.

As I said, it's a shame, I very much like the art style of FFXVI as I liked it also on FFVIIR and I think it's starting to disrespect the game, and other games, as people start to shit on some that look amazing.

alloush

So watching the DF video analysis of FF that Slimy posted and I ran into this scene, anyone know which FF game is this? this looked hella good!

yS7eVDA.jpg

SlimySnake

The game looks great, but that's not the answer to my question. I was asking why/how those specific pictures looks many times better than anything else posted from the game when it comes to controllable action. It's not even remotely close to the non-cutscene pictures that slimysnake just posted.
Pretty sure the picture I posted is pre-rendered. that dude shows up again later in the game and the character model looks far worse there in a realtime cutscene.

Like I said before, the game is very sneaky about when it inserts those pre-rendered cutscenes. They are basically inengine cutscenes like the ones we see in Battlefield trailers. Just souped up versions of realtime assets.

So watching the DF video analysis of FF that Slimy posted and I ran into this scene, anyone know which FF game is this? this looked hella good!

yS7eVDA.jpg
lol its from FF16. One of the intro scenes or one of the later cutscenes. It is inengine but pre-rendered. they cut from gameplay to a realtime cutscene then switch to this amazing war scene and you're like wtf is this realtime? CG? Nope, turns out its pre-rendered using ingame assets.

This is basically what I want the game to look like at all times.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Now THIS is next gen! See how the forest is decorated with realistic shadows yet the game still maintains an artistic identity. Also look how beautifully the evening time of day is rendered.

The future is RT. By the end of the gen most of the games we've drooled over in this thread will be considered ugly and age very poorly. Even my beloved TLOU Pt.1.

Doesn't look anything better than main game. Only more reshadey.
hogwarts is for sure a highlight of this year. Looks fucking amazing

alloush

This is basically what I want the game to look like at all times.
I don't blame you one bit. This shit looked gorgeous on YouTube compressed and all, I can imagine how much more amazing it looked on TV/OLED. If the game looked like that at all times then this is the next gen goodies I am looking for.

SlimySnake

IMO, U4 on PC [and PS5] has, more or less, already achieved this level of fidelity [with rasterisation and lower geometry detail ]
people tend to forget how detailed that game is, especially the second half of it with the dense jungle and its great lighting

01Y5vR9ZQGAFEhKdYVfhCRl-1..v1642785500.jpg

PS4 Screenshots:
cpgy24e42sl11.jpg

MV5BY2Y4YjRlYTctYTA5OS00MDQ0LWFiYmEtOWY3N2RhZjg4NDEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU2NDgzODU@._V1_.jpg

DC_Cj55XkAAJcCy.jpg:large
The difference is that Uncharted 4 is a very linear game. You go through a million loading corridors to get to those levels and they are very closed off. This is a full massive open world level that is able to push the U4 visual fidelity. Better comparisons would be that open world level in Lost Legacy and TLOU2's open world level in Seattle Day 1.

This demo is super dense with foliage and trees everywhere. Typically in last gen games you would see this stuff spread out and lack decent LODs for distant objects, or in HFW's case blocked by fake fog. But yes, in terms of asset quality, its roughly on par with ND's best corridor levels.

Key quote being "There's still some ways to go before FF games reach the peaks of the pre-rendered visuals featured in prior games."

And he also says that the game is approaching or exceeding in some areas Square Enix CGI, so not other games CGI.

As I said, it's a shame, I very much like the art style of FFXVI as I liked it also on FFVIIR and I think it's starting to disrespect the game, and other games, as people start to shit on some that look amazing.
Yeah, they said it comes surprisingly close in some scenes and I agree. That said, its amazing how the 720p FF13 CG looks in 2023. I get that its downsampled, but the colors and fidelity just pop. I dont think we are there yet, but Matrix gives me hope.

Isnt kingdom hearts on UE5? That game looked insane on PS4 at times. Like in the Toy Story and Pirates of the Carribean levels. I think they will get that CG look down thanks to UE5.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

The difference is that Uncharted 4 is a very linear game. You go through a million loading corridors to get to those levels and they are very closed off. This is a full massive open world level that is able to push the U4 visual fidelity. Better comparisons would be that open world level in Lost Legacy and TLOU2's open world level in Seattle Day 1.

This demo is super dense with foliage and trees everywhere. Typically in last gen games you would see this stuff spread out and lack decent LODs for distant objects, or in HFW's case blocked by fake fog. But yes, in terms of asset quality, its roughly on par with ND's best corridor levels.
I agree
...and U4 was a base PS4 game with a good number of open areas. FF16 can look amazing at times but that's the kind of natural upgrade one would expect from a current-gen game.
TLOU2 and LL are both last-gen titles. The fact that we can juxtapose FF and those titles is a testament to how phenomenal their visuals still are

Last edited:

alloush

Yeah, they said it comes surprisingly close in some scenes and I agree. That said, its amazing how the 720p FF13 CG looks in 2023. I get that its downsampled, but the colors and fidelity just pop. I dont think we are there yet, but Matrix gives me hope..
Not gonna lie, I wasn’t super impressed with FF13’s CG. I mean you could say we aint there yet but at the same time I was like “yeah good graphical fidelity but I feel like we can achieve more soon”. I know I am asking for a lot but it is what is is I guess.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Does it though? Look at how the foliage interacts with light
Forza-Horizon-5-1-07-2023-4-23-34.jpg

finalfantasyxvi_20230wtef2.png

finalfantasyxvi_20230d8ds3.png

51817558260_d4b7fb6419_o.jpg

finalfantasyxvi_20230p3fxo.png

finalfantasyxvi_20230e2ffq.png

Everything in FF16 seems to be more grounded in the environment, possibly rt ao.
The assets are much much higher quality in Forza Horizon 5 than FF16, and the lighting is dynamic so it changes drasticly how it lits the scene. And look at the first picture how the light shines through the leaves and shows softer shadows on the leaves behind it. And lets not talk about the low quality trees in FF16 vs highly detailed trees of Forza with much much higher quality textures. And the rocks are also lower quality, they have less polygons and the tessellation/parallax occlusion maping is not as accurate as in Forza like you can see in your first rock pic of FF16. Also the bounce lighting is not even close to that of Forza while been static and baked in. The shots down look soo much better in HDR but this will have to do it.
Forza-Horizon-5-28-05-2023-1-04-41.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-18-22-40.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-18-28-47.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-18-51-01.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-18-45-21.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-20-10-43.jpg

Also just look what different tod can do in a game with dynamic tod and weather at this quality
TOD3.jpg

TOD2.jpg

TOD1.jpg

Turk1993

thanks. I was still on the UE5 early access beta lol. MSI afterburner doesnt play well with UE5 at all.

As for the graphics, they were rather impressive, but not as impressive as the Matrix. The number of trees and the amount of foliage was very impressive for such a dense forest area but the actual asset quality reminded me of Lost Legacy's open world and some horizon forest areas. Not the massive generational leap I was expecting.
Its harder to do a fully loaded forest with micro detail than a city. I found them both equally impressive and devs should aim to reach this quality. One thing i don't agree with you is that the asset quality is much much higher than anything in Horizon and Lost Legacy. Its not even comparable, the micro detail and overall textures (outside the lower randomly generated one's) are generational ahead of anything on any game right now.
Uncharted-Legacy-of-Thieves-Collection-20220202204713.png

Uncharted-Legacy-of-Thieves-Collection-20220202201546.png

GymWolf GymWolf H . R . 2 H . R . 2

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Its harder to do a fully loaded forest with micro detail than a city. I found them both equally impressive and devs should aim to reach this quality. One thing i don't agree with you is that the asset quality is much much higher than anything in Horizon and Lost Legacy. Its not even comparable, the micro detail and overall textures (outside the lower randomly generated one's) are generational ahead of anything on any game right now.
Uncharted-Legacy-of-Thieves-Collection-20220202204713.png

Uncharted-Legacy-of-Thieves-Collection-20220202201546.png

GymWolf GymWolf H . R . 2 H . R . 2
Yeah, my memory was filling in the blanks. dont remember lost legacy looking that bad lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
Turk1993 Turk1993 is murdering you guys in this thread.
That's a ps4 game, when ND is gonna release tlou3 or uncy5 or their new game with a forest in it then we can actually discuss something.

Tlou2 forest already looks better than unchy4, kingdome come forest looks better than unchy4, hfw forest looks better, i have no doubt that ND on ps5 is gonna reach that level if they still care about being the best devs working for sony graphic wise.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That's a ps4 game, when ND is gonna release tlou3 or uncy5 or their new game with a forest in it then we can actually discuss something.

Tlou2 forest already looks better than unchy4, kingdome come forest looks better than unchy4, hfw forest looks better, i have no doubt that ND on ps5 is gonna reach that level if they still care about being the best devs working for sony graphic wise.
yep. This is basically very close to what i played last night in UE5. Just instead of a linear level, its a full blown open world level.

It does look better than the open world levels in Uncharted Lost Legacy and TLOU2 though.

Alex11

Yeah, they said it comes surprisingly close in some scenes and I agree. That said, its amazing how the 720p FF13 CG looks in 2023. I get that its downsampled, but the colors and fidelity just pop. I dont think we are there yet, but Matrix gives me hope.

Isnt kingdom hearts on UE5? That game looked insane on PS4 at times. Like in the Toy Story and Pirates of the Carribean levels. I think they will get that CG look down thanks to UE5.
Yeah, so that's what I have been saying, not that is an ugly game, quite the opposite, but you could see there are some things that will take a long time to achieve, the hair and cloth physics, how clean it looks, the colors, the light bounces.
And this for FFXIII CGI, the VII Remake IMO has even better CGI, really curious if Rebirth is gonna have some scenes and if they're improved.
And even so, I mean the CGI isn't gonna stop evolving just so the games catch up with it, if we're going into movie territory, that's even harder to match in real time.

Don't know about Kingdom Hearts, but for that type of games it's a bit easier to achieve the CGI look, no? As it's more animated.

alloush

The assets are much much higher quality in Forza Horizon 5 than FF16, and the lighting is dynamic so it changes drasticly how it lits the scene. And look at the first picture how the light shines through the leaves and shows softer shadows on the leaves behind it. And lets not talk about the low quality trees in FF16 vs highly detailed trees of Forza with much much higher quality textures. And the rocks are also lower quality, they have less polygons and the tessellation/parallax occlusion maping is not as accurate as in Forza like you can see in your first rock pic of FF16. Also the bounce lighting is not even close to that of Forza while been static and baked in. The shots down look soo much better in HDR but this will have to do it.
Forza-Horizon-5-28-05-2023-1-04-41.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-18-22-40.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-18-28-47.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-18-51-01.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-18-45-21.jpg

Forza-Horizon-5-6-07-2023-20-10-43.jpg

Also just look what different tod can do in a game with dynamic tod and weather at this quality
TOD3.jpg

TOD2.jpg

TOD1.jpg
What game are these screenshots from?

Turk1993

yep. This is basically very close to what i played last night in UE5. Just instead of a linear level, its a full blown open world level.

It does look better than the open world levels in Uncharted Lost Legacy and TLOU2 though.

I mean its not very close but it looks better than UC4 and most other games thats for sure. Its insane that it was running so well on PS4 while looking like that. But the difference is really big man, the lighting the detail is just leagues ahead.
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200723225009.png

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200723225035.png

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200723225157.png

I hope you're right, but after that Part 1 remake im not that sure.

GymWolf

Gold Member
part 1 remake was a cheap cash grab made mostly by bend (probably second team since main team is working on a new open world game).

It was made mostly to accompany the serial, let's be real.

Btw, sure your pics looks surely nextgen and the best forest out there although my eagle eye still catch questionable textures here and there and i'm not even zooming.

Btw we need @Drusilla for some burning shores forest pics or gifs.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

part 1 remake was a cheap cash grab made mostly by bend (probably second team since main team is working on a new open world game).

Btw, sure your pics looks surely nextgen and the best forest out there although my eagle eye still catch questionable textures here and there and i'm not even zooming.

Part 1 wasn’t made by bend lol. Bend helped with factions for a bit. The remake was being made by vsg studios which is a support studio. Nd only took over mid way through the game and likely only worked on cutscenes.

The problem i had with naughty dog was their insistence on calling it next Gen and pretending it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:

This. It's clear they were using the same iteration of the engine used on Last of Us 2.

As far as I'm concerned, ND have yet to deliver us next-gen goodness. That's not me doubting that they will, based on their historical track record of setting visual benchmarks on PS5 hardware I think their next title will be a jaw-dropper...or maybe i'm just being naive.

Turk1993

If you look at Avatar 2 with that eagle eye you can also notice some CGI errors. The goal is to achieve a constant good looking game with minimal errors and lower quality stuff. And yes Part 1 maybe be a cash crab but im also including every other game like Horizon. HFW has one of the best vegetation but even that is not close to that UE5.2 forest.

All from Burning shores like you wanted
image_horizon_forbidden_west-44887-4519_0020.jpg

image_horizon_forbidden_west-44887-4519_0038.jpg

image_horizon_forbidden_west-44887-4519_0007.jpg

elias-tsirides-horizon-forbidden-west-20230604181544.jpg

I mean its not very close but it looks better than UC4 and most other games thats for sure. Its insane that it was running so well on PS4 while looking like that. But the difference is really big man, the lighting the detail is just leagues ahead.
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200723225009.png

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200723225035.png

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200723225157.png

That forest scene with Dina is insane and imo the most impressive area in the game.

There's some incredible looking areas in Part 1 remake too. I think it's held back by its ps3 roots tho unfortunately.

Turk1993

That forest scene with Dina is insane and imo the most impressive area in the game.
Yup seeing that the first time on my PS4Pro was really impressive.
There's some incredible looking areas in Part 1 remake too. I think it's held back by its ps3 roots tho unfortunately.
I played part one also and indeed some areas have some nice vegetation but still far behind that UE5.2 forest

Turk1993

Wait a second! Can we at least show some flattering looking screens from Lost Legacy instead of 2 of the most unflattering ones possible?
Those where 2 scenes that had roughly same setting and lighting that was comparable. Its not that UC4:LL looks bad or HFW, its just that UE5.2 is the real next gen forest and it shows.
Here is a Artstation pic and even that is not comparable
matthew-trevelyan-johns-06.jpg

Top Bottom