• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
She's definitely pretty. She doesn't look like she's a super model in the middle of a shoot but it's crazy to say they specifically made her ugly
Yeah, it's not like they did the same with aloy, abby and who knows how many other times...

Look at aloy and abby real life model dude.

I don't really trust sony when it comes to female characters face scan.

Falc67

I watched it on my OLED. It looks great to me. Damn, really sorry for those who aren't satisfied though. I really thought we'd be on the same page with this one. Oh well back to watching the trailer for the 500th time...

Be honest with me. On your OLED, does this look next gen, compared to Miles Morales? Be honest.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Aloy isn’t ugly and not all games need super beautiful women…that isn’t realistic…
She is fucking mary jane, she has always been an example of hot redhead in comics and movies, you don't need to go realistic on a fucking spiderman game...

I didn't had a problem with the dude in the fable trailer because i understand the joke and the intention of the developers, in here is different, mary jane should be smokin hot, at least to counter a little how bitchy and annoying she is if she is written like the first game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Resettlers are coping hard for this one:lollipop_squinting:

Ain’t no way I’m seeing people saying Avatar looks better than this..

Ain’t no goddamn way.

The sdf branch here on gaf is also super defensive with this game, you love to see it:pie_roffles:

I wonder if this game was being developed with the ps4 in mind & then dropped at the last minute. It looks 100% like a ps4 game.
NW27UO2.jpg
Why even use meshes for chest hair when it would look 10x better if it was just a texture with detail maps.

alloush

Maybe ive been in ohio staring at bland midwestern women for too long, but that chick looks pretty to me. An easy 7/10. most importantly she looks feminine. no masculine features added.
I mean, she doesn’t look bad per se but she does give me Kris Jenner vibes.

This looks way better than the original trailer…still could look way better for a PS5 only title, but it actually looks awesome now and better than Miles Morales (PS5) in some parts visually.
This, this is exactly my opinion. Just like A arkhamguy123 said it’s like FF16 some parts look straight out of a ps3 and some look next gen it is polarizing as hell. But I do think this trailer looked better than the first previous one.

alloush

The game is polarizing as hell some aspects of it look straight out of a PS3 and some look next gen. It could be one of the two, the game was intended to be cross-gen at one point or Insomniac’s engine is in need of a massive upgrade and cannot push next-gen stuff in its current state.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

I'm playing Metro Exodus on PS5 and the lighting is very good, I wish more studios would go the way of global illumination and not so much with raytracing reflections.

This creature looks great too.
HLZQiH7.gif
For me its example how top notch apparently lighting is not enough, game looks mediocre on consoles (blurry, low quality textures and rough characters models and animation).

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Be honest with me. On your OLED, does this look next gen, compared to Miles Morales? Be honest.

Yes. I'm always honest especially in this thread. Look guys, I got what I wanted from a current gen only Spider-Man. High quality shadow rendering is featured in almost every scene shown, day and night. The depth it gives to these scenes is awesome. I'm not here to convince anyone and God knows SM2 doesn't need any boosting from me. The trailer is sitting at 3 million and counting. What sucks is that some of you didn't get the next gen feel you've been craving and that's a real bummer. I'm not sure what you guys are looking for but I hope you find it soon.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is kinda embarrassing. Gg had a bigger upgrade going from hzd to hfw on ps4. Same goes for nd with uncharted 4 and tlou2.

How they were able to upgrade character models and other visuals for the same gen while insomniac is struggling to do it on next Gen is proof that insomniac is no where near Sonys own A tier studios.

Last edited:

alloush

Something about his face looks off in SP2. Maybe it's the added weight.
The mofo been chugging down them donuts in those 9-10 months that Insomniac said Spidey 2 takes place in.

This is kinda embarrassing. Gg had a bigger upgrade going from hzd to hfw on ps4. Same goes for nd with uncharted 4 and tlou2.

How they were able to upgrade character models and other visuals for the same gen while insomniac is struggling to do it on next Gen is proof that insomniac is no where near Sonys own A tier studios.
Bizarre honestly. Yeah he looks a tad better but not a whole gen better than PS4 Spidey let alone PS5 remastered Spidey. It’s weird cuz I always thought of Insomniac as one of Sony’s most talented, most valuable studios hands down. They are proving me wrong at the minute.

SlimySnake

For me its example how top notch apparently lighting is not enough, game looks mediocre on consoles (blurry, low quality textures and rough characters models and animation).
yep. i have run the game at native 4k and 4k dlss, rt on and rt off, and its just a flat looking game in general. the problem like you said is everything else from bad asset quality, chararcter models and animations. literally everything about the game screams B euro jank. lighting alone cant save a game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Bear in a linear narrative focused game looking better than a bear hide from a grunt NPC from an open world game?

Wow, lazy devs
Crossgen vs nextgen and if you don't like that example, then check enemies and unimportant npcs in horizon, another crossgen game with probably way more npcs that the 3 spidey games combined.

Even the fucking (literally) bear in bg3 looks better than that horrible bear-hat.

Last edited:

Edder1

One thing I haven't seen others mention is how plasticy everyone looks in Spiderman 2. It's a real strange regression in terms of skin rendering. This whole Spiderman 2 thing is super weird, it's almost like Insomniac are purposefully sabotaging themselves. The only explanation I can come up with is that at some point this game must have been cross gen, they then abandoned last gen version and upgraded certain aspects of the game.

Last edited:

setoman

I feel like i am taking crazy pills because this looks virtually identical to Miles. I dont even think they upgraded the Peter model. At least, MJ got an upgrade. i have no idea how anyone can look at these character models and think next gen.

the lighting looks so last gen even in cutscenes.

0NPnmSX.jpg
8u06JEA.jpg

The lightening is super wierd almost like there's no bounce lighting in the first picture. In the second pic it looks like lighting from the sky light is cranked up, but its not GI so that's why everything looks all even and weird.

Certainly NOT next-gen lighting. Under the bridge at sunset should look more like this and as its sets further. Things get progressively darker in a gradient like look. But its not pitch black.

gi1.png

gi2.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
HQ9FMN9.gif

HQ9FVte.gif

HQ9Flcl.gif

HQ9FGA7.gif

credit M Musilla

This aint too shabby, at all. I wouldnt call it "next gen" but I can live with this in a comic book game.
She has by far the best model in the game to me. The rest have looked disappointing.
Her hair is looking solid/
Real life model
743j5jz2yhl11.jpg

MAUAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH.

not only uglier but older, where is the dude that thought it was impossible??:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sony never fucking miss a beat, incredible.

SlimySnake

Sorry to quote this pic again, but i wanted to post some comparisons from last gen games.

xmK00g5.jpg
8631CIb.jpg

FiChfDsWQAAMZNA

Fbc_skGX0AInAU1

I could understand Insomniac being behind last gen because they had to make a full open world game while ND and SSM didnt, but GG has proven that you can squeeze more of out even the PS4 hardware. This is simply unacceptable.
The only explanation I can come up with is that at some point this game must have been cross gen, they then abandoned last gen version and upgraded certain aspects of the game.
Thats no excuse. GG has already proven that you can be cross gen and still upgrade every single aspect of your graphics piepeline from better lighting to more detailed foliage and character models. Insomniac has simply phoned this in like SSM did with ragnorak.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sorry to quote this pic again, but i wanted to post some comparisons from last gen games.

xmK00g5.jpg
8631CIb.jpg

FiChfDsWQAAMZNA

Fbc_skGX0AInAU1

I could understand Insomniac being behind last gen because they had to make a full open world game while ND and SSM didnt, but GG has proven that you can squeeze more of out even the PS4 hardware. This is simply unacceptable.

Thats no excuse. GG has already proven that you can be cross gen and still upgrade every single aspect of your graphics piepeline from better lighting to more detailed foliage and character models. Insomniac has simply phoned this in like SSM did with ragnorak.
And people in the story trailer topic has the nerve of asking me why i'm not impressed:lollipop_squinting:

We officially live in bizarro world.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
We will never be impressed if the bar is Naughty Dog.

I keep telling you all that no one is messing with them when it comes to facial animations. But yet we keep comparing. And getting disappointed. No one is on their level. Only UE5 tech demos.

alloush

And people in the story trailer topic has the nerve of asking me why i'm not impressed:lollipop_squinting:

We officially live in bizarro world.
I went to those threads (there’s a couple of them) and boy are these people easily impressed by anything. One guy said it doesn’t look that good and he got destroyed. They should come over here, they’ll be eaten up alive, lol.

Gotta say though GymWolf you got toyed with over there. If I were you I wouldn’t let that slip, just sayin

v3GYvXx.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony continue to hate good looking women

C6DcqD2.png

They managed to make her even derpier than spidey 1...

Hopefully the hunter dude kills her quickly so i don't have to listen to her telling me how she doesn't need to be saved while i saver her for the 5th time.
She is literally 57 house wife in this screenshot. what the fuck sony

Hugare

Comparing to the industry's best and saying that anything less is unacceptable is the unacceptable part

GG, Rockstar, ND and etc. are anomalies. Imagine comparing every open world game with RDR 2. Not everyone can be Rockstar, and thats ok.

Horizon had Decima engine powering it, arguibly one of the top 3 engines available today. Also had 5 years of dev time fully committed to it, while Insomniac also was making R&C and MM while developing S2

Horizon has huge dinos, but not a full modern city to render, so they have totally different priorities to render stuff

There's so much more to it than just "lazy devs". And again, even if it were just Insomniac lacking tech talent, comparing it to the industry best wouldnt be fair 'cause again, being among the best aint easy

The game will still look better than any other 3rd party open world game, I imagine

Last edited:

SlimySnake

We will never be impressed if the bar is Naughty Dog.

I keep telling you all that no one is messing with them when it comes to facial animations. But yet we keep comparing. And getting disappointed. No one is on their level. Only UE5 tech demos.
That post contains pics from SSM, GG and freaking Quantic Dream. ND isnt that far ahead and has been topped by other studios since TLOU2. Thats why TLOU Part 1 felt so dated when it came out last year.

F0ztowoXwAA4MMG

EJ2s3AqXsAUItjK

Dl--AFqU8AAE1po

s91q2wvpf5471.gif
a7637e03c9930926ecb0ee784ab2573a.gif

Rheon

HQ9FMN9.gif

HQ9FVte.gif

HQ9Flcl.gif

HQ9FGA7.gif

credit M Musilla

This aint too shabby, at all. I wouldnt call it "next gen" but I can live with this in a comic book game.
She has by far the best model in the game to me. The rest have looked disappointing.
Her hair is looking solid/

Her hair was the best thing about the trailer, as sad as that sounds.

And I don't get how people are calling MJ ugly. She's not a supermodel, but she's far from ugly.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I went to those threads (there’s a couple of them) and boy are these people easily impressed by anything. One guy said it doesn’t look that good and he got destroyed. They should come over here, they’ll be eaten up alive, lol.

Gotta say though GymWolf you got toyed with over there. If I were you I wouldn’t let that slip, just sayin

v3GYvXx.jpg
They quoted me, and when i answered they didn't quoted me anymore, not sure how is that toying with me and not the opposite but ok:lollipop_squinting:

alloush

That post contains pics from SSM, GG and freaking Quantic Dream. ND isnt that far ahead and has been topped by other studios since TLOU2. Thats why TLOU Part 1 felt so dated when it came out last year.

F0ztowoXwAA4MMG

EJ2s3AqXsAUItjK

Dl--AFqU8AAE1po

s91q2wvpf5471.gif
Curiously, who were ND topped by? And damn are those GIFs impressive.

They quoted me, and when i answered they didn't quoted me anymore, not sure how is that toying with me and not the opposite but ok:lollipop_squinting:
I'm just sayin' man. Don't hate the messenger:messenger_winking_tongue:

Just messin' with ya!

Spiderman 2 is just another blow for anyone hoping for decisive visual upgrades of native PS5 stuff over last gen offerings.
It looks like PS4 Spidey`s tech with some tacked on details and slightly improved lighting.
3 years into the gen and with something like the Matrix Demo promising so much more.....well, that result sure is a bummer.
Still looks great, but nothing "next gen" about it.
Starting to think that no engine developer besides Epic actually has the tech to make something really impressive with the power we got, and even the examples we`ve seen from that corner have just been PR slices so.........
Here We Go Smh GIF by Gerbert!

Last edited:

Hugare

Crossgen vs nextgen and if you don't like that example, then check enemies and unimportant npcs in horizon, another crossgen game with probably way more npcs that the 3 spidey games combined.

Even the fucking (literally) bear in bg3 looks better than that horrible bear-hat.
Since I've quoted you before and havent answered you yet: see my post below, 'cause it also fits your post

Comparing to the industry's best and saying that anything less is unacceptable is the unacceptable part

GG, Rockstar, ND and etc. are anomalies. Imagine comparing every open world game with RDR 2. Not everyone can be Rockstar, and thats ok.

Horizon had Decima engine powering it, arguibly one of the top 3 engines available today. Also had 5 years of dev time fully committed to it, while Insomniac also was making R&C and MM while developing S2

Horizon has huge dinos, but not a full modern city to render, so they have totally different priorities to render stuff

There's so much more to it than just "lazy devs". And again, even if it were just Insomniac lacking tech talent, comparing it to the industry best wouldnt be fair 'cause again, being among the best aint easy

The game will still look better than any other 3rd party open world game, I imagine

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

F0ztowoXwAA4MMG

EJ2s3AqXsAUItjK

Dl--AFqU8AAE1po

s91q2wvpf5471.gif
Im just saying, if we have ND, R* and SSM as the bar then we will likely always be disappointed. No one has proved talented enough to match their output.

Because even SSM with ragnarok featured last gen looking models. And FF16. Death Stranding was good looking but the game was abysmal. Days Gone inconsitent as hell.

And for me, TLOU Part 1 wipes the floor with all of those games when it comes to facial animations. It was not dated in that department at all. Still the best looking faces out by farr

The-Last-of-Us%E2%84%A2-Part-I_20220825223519-scaled.jpg

Screenshot-2023-07-21-at-11-16-30-AM.png

52374374578_258728f838_o.png

3oBfnS9.jpg

Top Bottom