• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Since I've quoted you before and havent answered you yet: see my post below, 'cause it also fits your post
Sony teams always race to be the best, and this doesn't look like a major effort from insomniac, no matter how we spin it.

We should not even have a comparisons with ps4 games dude, spidey 2 should destroy any ps4 game and crossgen game.

They did a good job with ratchet and spidey on ps4 still looks so good, expectations were sky high.

Last edited:

Hugare

Sony teams always race to be the best, and this doesn't look like a major effort from insomniac, no matter how we spin it.

We should not even have a comparisons with ps4 games dude, spidey 2 should destroy any ps4 game and crossgen game.

They did a good job with ratchet and spidey on ps4 still looks so good, expectations were sky high.
Can you show me a next gen open world game in a modern city that looks better than Spidey 2? (not named Cyberpunk with path tracing, of course)

So I rest my case

Context is important and you're totally ignoring it

In many ways RDR looks better than GTA V despite using the same engine and being made years prior to GTA in the same console generation

Why? 'Cause it doesnt have a city to render, for starters.

So comparing it to linear games with different priorities (Detroit, Uncharted, Tomb Raider) or open world games with barring landscapes and no skylines, cars, pedestrians and etc. (Death Stranding and Horizon) is just apples to oranges

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
52374374578_258728f838_o.png

I damn near shed a tear at how good this scene looked in TLOU 1 DLC

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Her hair was the best thing about the trailer, as sad as that sounds.

And I don't get how people are calling MJ ugly. She's not a supermodel, but she's far from ugly.
She looks great. and yes, the hair is a great upgrade. Reminds me of the High Hair strands setting on PC which looked way better than it did on consoles.

She looks fine. This is not an Abby, Sarah Ryder, Aloy, Fable situation.

images
fable.jpg
z2g2joX.jpg

abby-last-of-us-game-640f381ed4373.jpeg

Next to these uggos, the new Mary Jane looks like mother fucking Marilyn Monroe.
Curiously, who were ND topped by? And damn are those GIFs impressive.

Horizon FW, Demon Souls, Ratchet, Fable, Avatar, Star Wars Outlaws all look better than TLOU Part 1.

SlimySnake

Because even SSM with ragnarok featured last gen looking models. And FF16.
I literally compared the main character's (Peter Parker) character model to other playable and even NPC character models from other games. The fact that the main character model in Spidey 2 looks worse is not a good look.

And yes, TLOU Part 1 looks great in cutscenes. Sadly the rest of the game doesnt come close despite them saying they use cutscene quality models ingame. Maybe its the hero lighting or lack thereof but the cutscenes look a gen part. my guess is ND did the cutscenes while the VSG team worked on the actual game.

alloush

Bend is gonna do what insomniac is not doing, can't wait to see their game.
Ever since the Days Gone 2 debacle and Bend has gone AWOL.

Horizon FW, Demon Souls, Ratchet, Fable, Avatar, Star Wars Outlaws all look better than TLOU Part 1.
Good shout. Though some would argue TLOU1 remake and TLOU2 look better than those games you mentioned. Those 2 games have an audience I am telling ya and that's fine since TLOU2 in particular was and still kinda is a technical marvel.

Hugare

I literally compared the main character's (Peter Parker) character model to other playable and even NPC character models from other games. The fact that the main character model in Spidey 2 looks worse is not a good look.

And yes, TLOU Part 1 looks great in cutscenes. Sadly the rest of the game doesnt come close despite them saying they use cutscene quality models ingame. Maybe its the hero lighting or lack thereof but the cutscenes look a gen part. my guess is ND did the cutscenes while the VSG team worked on the actual game.
I think I've already replied to you about this in the past, but its been confirmed that even Bend animators assisted on the cutscenes, so I believe that ND's input was minimal. Like, barely there.

ND probably tried to salvage the game in terms of performance optimization, 'cause at launch it was pretty bad on the PS5 (still is, not reaching locked 30 at 4K and DRS that doesnt work), but didnt touch much else

And Sony of course used ND's name to market the game

GymWolf

Gold Member
Can you show me a next gen open world game in a modern city that looks better than Spidey 2? (not named Cyberpunk with path tracing, of course)

So I rest my case

Context is important and you're totally ignoring it

In many ways RDR looks better than GTA V despite using the same engine and being made years prior to GTA in the same console generation

Why? 'Cause it doesnt have a city to render, for starters.

So comparing it to linear games with different priorities (Detroit, Uncharted, Tomb Raider) or open world games with barring landscapes and no skylines, cars, pedestrians and etc. (Death Stranding and Horizon) is just apples to oranges
The characters got an incredibly small upgrade and some look downright meh like plastik venom or henry.

Also, your defence that there is nothing else similar is not as smart as you think, it is not an excuse to have such a small jump, tlou remake has probably the best models in cutscene but it looks barely better than tlou2, how the fuck is that a good argument? Of course sony games are always gonna look great, but great is not incredible and after 3 years of nextgen, incredible is what people want.

Also, how many open world triple A inside a city did you had in the past 5 years? 2 maybe? It's not like you have another 50 similar games to make a good comparison.

But to answer your question, i think Dying light 2 maxed out on pc looks better than spidey location wise, both star wars and avatar looks better if the trailers are real, like i said, it's hard to find triple A open world inside cities.

SlimySnake

Bend is gonna do what insomniac is not doing, can't wait to see their game.

Ever since the Days Gone 2 debacle and Bend has gone AWOL.
Just an FYI, Bend is making a GaaS game so dont expect it to look any good. It will look like Helldivers and other gaas trash.

Also, it was a relatively small 100 person studio to begin with and Jeff Ross, the director of Days Gone, recently said that 90 devs have left the studio since days gone shipped. Even if they have restocked, the talent currently working there is not the same people who made Uncharted vita and Days Gone. There is a reason why they have gone 4 years without showing anything. All they have managed to come up with since April 2019 is a new logo.

Hugare

The characters got an incredibly small upgrade and some look downright meh like plastik venom or henry.

Also, your defence that there is nothing else similar is not as smart as you think, it is not an excuse to have such a small jump, tlou remake has probably the best models in cutscene but it looks barely better than tlou2, how the fuck is that a good argument? Of course sony games are always gonna look great, but great is not incredible and after 3 years of nextgen, incredible is what people want.

Also, how many open world triple A inside a city did you had in the past 5 years? 2 maybe? It's not like you have another 50 similar games to make a good comparison.

But to answer your question, i think Dying light 2 maxed out on pc looks better than spidey location wise, both star wars and avatar looks better if the trailers are real, like i said, it's hard to find triple A open world inside cities.
TLOU Remake was 98% not done by ND, for starters

And I feel pretty good about my defense if you cant think of examples to counter argument it. Not having many other open world games in cities tell you exactly what needs to be said: they are hard to make.

Of recent ones, I can think of Watch Dogs Legion. Which doesnt look as good as Spidey 2.

Dying Light 2 with RT looks better than 90% of the games on the market. But again, just like mentioning Cyberpunk, its kinda unfair since the PS5 cant even render RT at that level. Maybe on PS6.

DL 2 without RT looks horrible, imo

Also Star Wars and Avatar arent set in cities. And yet again you fail to understand my point.

alloush

Just an FYI, Bend is making a GaaS game so dont expect it to look any good. It will look like Helldivers and other gaas trash.

Also, it was a relatively small 100 person studio to begin with and Jeff Ross, the director of Days Gone, recently said that 90 devs have left the studio since days gone shipped. Even if they have restocked, the talent currently working there is not the same people who made Uncharted vita and Days Gone. There is a reason why they have gone 4 years without showing anything. All they have managed to come up with since April 2019 is a new logo.
Sad what happened with Bend, man. The way Sony operate is weird sometimes. Days Gone was loved by everyone (haven’t played it myself) but because it didn’t get a good Metacritic score Sony ditched plans for a sequel and the rest is history. Like I know Sony have incredibly high standards but sometimes they are over ruthless not in a good way. Funny, look at the state of their studios now.

GymWolf

Gold Member

What? Aren't they making a new open world game where they are using what they learned in days gone?? 90 devs left the studio?

What the fuck jimbo?!

So no expectations from them neither, who is next? Sucker punch?

Last edited:

Represent.

How you feel about TLOU Part 1 is how I feel about Avatar lol. We all have that 1 game we love that everyone else sees nothing in. I thought the game looked a good step above TLOU 2. But you're probably right in that VSG did the actual game while ND did the cutscenes. Makes me more hype for their next SP game.... in 2042.

I prefer the second one.

Overall the game looks quite a bit better than it did in early June because of five weeks more polish. There's still 10 more weeks of polish to go... My prediction is it will look ridiculously good in the 4k/30fps fidelity mode at launch (looks good in it's 60fps mode) and be up there with Demon's Souls, Rift Apart, Returnal, Horizon 2 and GoW 2 as one of the best looking PS5 games released so far.

I'm sure we all know this but -

1) If it was a 'PS4 looking game' it would 100% be on PS4 / PS4 Pro to sell another 10 million copies to casuals.

2) Games were never meant to be critiqued from a single still image (makes them look far worse due to your brain having time to pick out all the imperfections) or small gifs (makes them look much better due to super sampling esp on a 6" phone screen hiding all of those previously mentioned imperfections).

Ask yourself honestly how many times you've seen a trailer and marvelled at it's visuals (no pun intended) only to read reddit or this thread, see still images, notice those imperfections then change your opinion of it to be far more critical? Games are meant to be viewed at 60 or 30 still shots per second not a single shot looked at over tens minutes :p

GymWolf

Gold Member
TLOU Remake was 98% not done by ND, for starters

And I feel pretty good about my defense if you cant think of examples to counter argument it. Not having many other open world games in cities tell you exactly what needs to be said: they are hard to make.

Of recent ones, I can think of Watch Dogs Legion. Which doesnt look as good as Spidey 2.

Dying Light 2 with RT looks better than 90% of the games on the market. But again, just like mentioning Cyberpunk, its kinda unfair since the PS5 cant even render RT at that level. Maybe on PS6.

DL 2 without RT looks horrible, imo

Also Star Wars and Avatar arent set in cities. And yet again you fail to understand my point.
You are still talking about location when i clearly said that most people here are not impressed by the characters, but go on with your point that has nothing to do with character rendering, especially during fucking cutscenes where they can't even beat ps4 games...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sorry to quote this pic again, but i wanted to post some comparisons from last gen games.

xmK00g5.jpg
8631CIb.jpg

FiChfDsWQAAMZNA

Fbc_skGX0AInAU1

I could understand Insomniac being behind last gen because they had to make a full open world game while ND and SSM didnt, but GG has proven that you can squeeze more of out even the PS4 hardware. This is simply unacceptable.

Thats no excuse. GG has already proven that you can be cross gen and still upgrade every single aspect of your graphics piepeline from better lighting to more detailed foliage and character models. Insomniac has simply phoned this in like SSM did with ragnorak.
one more last gen example.
Death Stranding
OXKIkde.png

Hugare

You are still talking about location when i clearly said that most people here are not impressed by the characters, but go on with your point that has nothing to do with character rendering, especially during fucking cutscenes where they can't even beat ps4 games...
Location matters

Do you think that Detroit characters would look as good when the character rendering budget is being divided with NPCs on the streets, cars, other interiors, skycrapers and etc.?

I gave you the RDR example. Characters in that game look better than GTA V characters. Why? Rockstar became dumb and forgot how to make character models?

No, because GTA V is way busier so they cant focus their rendering budget on characters

Spider 2 probably uses gameplay models on cutscenes, btw. They only change the lighting.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Location matters

Do you think that Detroit characters would look as good when the character rendering budget is being divided with NPCs on the streets, cars, other interiors, skycrapers and etc.?

I gave you the RDR example. Characters in that game look better than GTA V characters. Why? Rockstar became dumb and forgot how to make character models?

No, because GTA V is way busier so they cant focus their rendering budget on characters

Spider 2 probably uses gameplay models on cutscenes, btw. They only change the lighting.
You heard this here first ladies and gentleman, if your game is located inside a city, we can only expect ps4 human models, even inside indoor cutscenes.

Also, no they fucking don't, or at least it is not very noticeable.

Featured-RDR.jpg

9t15hn90-720.jpg

05pAYqSCBbSv8DHci2b2hU4-2.fit_scale.size_760x427.v1569482664.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Hugare

You heard this here first ladies and gentleman, if your game is located inside a city, we can only expect ps4 human models, even inside indoor cutscenes.

Also, no they fucking don't

Featured-RDR.jpg

lol, thats not how GTA V looks on PS3/360, dude

Picking a screenshot from the PS4 gen version is not as smart as you think as an argument

More like this:

ROAOrop.jpg

IhFqBtV.jpg

Look how low polly they are. RDR characters had way more details in their clothes, wrinkles on their faces and etc. despite the low resolution

It's one of the reasons why I even expect RDR 2 to look better in some instances (on PC, of course) than GTA VI

Last edited:

Represent.

Sad what happened with Bend, man. The way Sony operate is weird sometimes. Days Gone was loved by everyone (haven’t played it myself) but because it didn’t get a good Metacritic score Sony ditched plans for a sequel and the rest is history. Like I know Sony have incredibly high standards but sometimes they are over ruthless not in a good way. Funny, look at the state of their studios now.
I think they didn’t want 2 serious single player zombie franchises.

It would be like if Ghosts was another single player Norse mythology game.

One had to go. And the shittier studio got the bullet. Time to make something else.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Location matters

FaHHsgn.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
lol, thats not how GTA V looks on PS3/360, dude

Picking a screenshot from the PS4 gen version is not as smart as you think as an argument

More like this:

ROAOrop.jpg
I swear i searched for ps3 for both games, it is just hard to find cutscenes with at least 2 characters in a clear view of the ps3 version, i'm searching a bit more.

But even your pic (from one of the reveal trailer, not the final version) doesn't look worse than rdr1 characters, so...

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It still looks better or at least on par to me, also, rdr1 and gta5 are both ps3 games, in here we are talking about ps4 games vs ps5 games, a bit different...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
She looks great. and yes, the hair is a great upgrade. Reminds me of the High Hair strands setting on PC which looked way better than it did on consoles.

images
fable.jpg
z2g2joX.jpg

Next to these uggos, the new Mary Jane looks like mother fucking Marilyn Monroe.

Your wife scored her a 5 out of 10 and she is a wise woman, let it go dude:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

Also, no they fucking don't, or at least it is not very noticeable.

Featured-RDR.jpg

Yeah, Rockstar along with every other developer figured out that you can push visual fidelity really high in cutscenes even in open world games. We saw a huge jump in character rendering in GTAV from RDR1. Detroit, Death Stranding, TLOU2 and Spiderman all have the same visual budget when you have a character taking over 90% of the screen in a dev controlled cutscene. Character rendering during gameplay is a completely different story and Detroit actually has several scenes with a lot of NPCs walking around including a pretty explosive finale with dozens of people on screen at once. It's obviously no open world game, but its not as closed off as people think.

If having NPCs during gameplay somehow affects character rendering during cutscenes than Detroit would be just as limited as Spiderman. But thats just now cutscene rendering works.

Here is a game that came out ten years ago. Was open world. Had NPCs. City buildings. Traffic etc. Still managed to have characters look better during cutscenes.

6b72b8340ddaea8f8475066fe7efec2a092c77d5_00.gif
3nPX.gif

Hugare

I swear i searched for ps3 for both games, it is just hard to find cutscenes with at least 2 characters in a clear view of the ps3 version, i'm searching a bit more.

But even your pic (from one of the reveal trailer, not the final version) doesn't look worse than rdr1 characters, so...

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It still looks better or at least on par to me, also, rdr1 and gta5 are both ps3 games, in here we are talking about ps4 games vs ps5 games, a bit different...

Your first image have been edited

IKKGtRc.jpg

Now some RDR

kTqGVgI.jpg

To me its pretty obvious which character model looks better.

And the marshall is not even one of the main characters

It's nuts that it's such an alien concept to you that a game with less stuff to render has better looking character models

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

images
fable.jpg
z2g2joX.jpg

One more thing because I HAVE TO DO THIS

YsFDs0Y.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
Your first image have been edited

IKKGtRc.jpg

Now some RDR

kTqGVgI.jpg

To me its pretty obvious which character model looks better.

And the marshall is not even one of the main characters

It's nuts that it's such an alien concept to you that a game with less stuff to render has better looking character models
And to me it is absurd that you expcet us to believe that having your game in located in a city traduce into old gen models even during cutscenes...

I guess we agree to disagree.

Remember that i'm gonna be happy if spidey 2 came put and it's incredible looking, i'm not as mad with games that i don't care for, but it is sony and i expect excellence.

Last edited:

Hugare

And to me it is absurd that you expcet us to believe that having your game in located in a city traduce into old gen models even during cutscenes...

I guess we agree to disagree.

Remember that i'm gonna be happy if spidey 2 came put and it's incredible looking, i'm not as mad with games that i don't for, but it is sony and i expect excellence.
Models that look slightly inferior to some of the best from past gen when rendering an open world city with RT and huge amounts of geometry everywhere?

Shouldnt be absurd

But yeah, lets agree to disagree

I dont even think that Spidey 2 looks that good, I'm just aware of the reasons why it doesnt look too hot

One of the reasons why I also expect GTA VI to not blow everyone away with its graphics, tho I'm sure it will be impressive due to its attention to detail and etc.

Yeah, Rockstar along with every other developer figured out that you can push visual fidelity really high in cutscenes even in open world games. We saw a huge jump in character rendering in GTAV from RDR1. Detroit, Death Stranding, TLOU2 and Spiderman all have the same visual budget when you have a character taking over 90% of the screen in a dev controlled cutscene. Character rendering during gameplay is a completely different story and Detroit actually has several scenes with a lot of NPCs walking around including a pretty explosive finale with dozens of people on screen at once. It's obviously no open world game, but its not as closed off as people think.

If having NPCs during gameplay somehow affects character rendering during cutscenes than Detroit would be just as limited as Spiderman. But thats just now cutscene rendering works.

Here is a game that came out ten years ago. Was open world. Had NPCs. City buildings. Traffic etc. Still managed to have characters look better during cutscenes.

6b72b8340ddaea8f8475066fe7efec2a092c77d5_00.gif
3nPX.gif

*sigh*, Rockstar cutscenes are during gameplay, man.

They dont swap character models. What you see is what you get.

They dont even use "hero lighting", its all dynamic

Character rendering havent received a jump, not alone a huge one from RDR to GTA V. It was actually a downgrade.

Every RDR character has belts and pieces of clothes on top of each other. GTA V characters are simple af in comparison.

Even facial hair is not present in all of the GTA V main characters to save rendering budget

KMp7Iyp.jpg

Low resolution AF so you cant appreciate the details

But when you use an emulator? These are PS3 assets

gZUyuKR.jpg

No other GTA V character has this amount of polygon detail, I can garantee you

And good point bringing up Infamous SS

Even Ghost of Tsushima doesnt have as good character models, imo

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
A bit pointless so close to ps6... wouldn't it make ps6 launch less impressive?
I will get it for sure, don't get me wrong!
what the heck is WGP and MTS. Are we talking about blocks on ps1 memory card here? what is going on

Not pointless imo, tech moves fast.

WPG replaces RDNA CUs. 1 WPG = 2 RDNA CUs

SlimySnake

what the heck is WGP and MTS. Are we talking about blocks on ps1 memory card here? what is going on
Basically 60 CUs and 576 GBps of memory bandwidth.

Assuming they keep the clocks the same, you are looking at a 66% boost in tflops, and just a 28% boost in memory bandwidth. If true, then cerny has learned fuck all from his memory bandwidth fuckup with the pro. If you want a mid gen console to do 60 fps at higher resolutions then that memory bandwidth is not going to be enough. Especially since consoles have to share it with the CPU.

The only way they are getting 2x more tflops (the PS5 tflops, not the BS inflated RDNA3.0 tflops) is if they target 2.55 GHz which is pretty much impossible in a console with 60 CUs. But stranger things have happened before. No one expected 2.2 ghz in the PS5 either. Otherwise you are looking at a 17 tflops GPU. Not enough to take 1440p 30 fps games to native 4k 30 fps. But enough to go to 1800p 30 fps.

and PS6 is being delayed to 2028. This will be an 8 year gen. not the 7 year gen we got in the ps3 and ps4 era.

This. It's as simple as that. This is disappointing as hell for PS5 only Spiderman. It's funny watching all the justifications "they're not Naughty Dog or Guerilla therefore we shouldn't have expected next gen visuals"

Basically 60 CUs and 576 GBps of memory bandwidth.

Assuming they keep the clocks the same, you are looking at a 66% boost in tflops, and just a 28% boost in memory bandwidth. If true, then cerny has learned fuck all from his memory bandwidth fuckup with the pro. If you want a mid gen console to do 60 fps at higher resolutions then that memory bandwidth is not going to be enough. Especially since consoles have to share it with the CPU.

The only way they are getting 2x more tflops (the PS5 tflops, not the BS inflated RDNA3.0 tflops) is if they target 2.55 GHz which is pretty much impossible in a console with 60 CUs. But stranger things have happened before. No one expected 2.2 ghz in the PS5 either. Otherwise you are looking at a 17 tflops GPU. Not enough to take 1440p 30 fps games to native 4k 30 fps. But enough to go to 1800p 30 fps.

and PS6 is being delayed to 2028. This will be an 8 year gen. not the 7 year gen we got in the ps3 and ps4 era.

Spot on. They want it to cost no more than $500 of course. They always err on the side of cheaper parts in hopes of hitting that sweet spit price to sell more units.

This gen will be long and disappointing in terms of tech. PC is already embarrassing the console makers.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Models that look slightly inferior to some of the best from past gen when rendering an open world city with RT and huge amounts of geometry everywhere?

Shouldnt be absurd

But yeah, lets agree to disagree

I dont even think that Spidey 2 looks that good, I'm just aware of the reasons why it doesnt look too hot

One of the reasons why I also expect GTA VI to not blow everyone away with its graphics, tho I'm sure it will be impressive due to its attention to detail and etc.

*sigh*, Rockstar cutscenes are during gameplay, man.

They dont swap character models. What you see is what you get.

They dont even use "hero lighting", its all dynamic

Character rendering havent received a jump, not alone a huge one from RDR to GTA V. It was actually a downgrade.

Every RDR character has belts and pieces of clothes on top of each other. GTA V characters are simple af in comparison.

Even facial hair is not present in all of the GTA V main characters to save rendering budget

KMp7Iyp.jpg

Low resolution AF so you cant appreciate the details

But when you use an emulator? These are PS3 assets

gZUyuKR.jpg

No other GTA V character has this amount of polygon detail, I can garantee you

And good point bringing up Infamous SS

Even Ghost of Tsushima doesnt have as good character models, imo
Dude, i think that western attire is just more busy than modern dressing, of course a more busy dress is gonna have more polygons to simulate more details than a simple suit or hoodie, it doesn't mean that the fidelity is higher.

I keep my expectations in check with gta6 but i expect the best city ever made, both in terms of microdetails, npcs behaviour and animation\physics.

I think tsushima has way better characters than infamous, models in infamous are kinda rough by today standards.

Last edited:
The lightening is super wierd almost like there's no bounce lighting in the first picture. In the second pic it looks like lighting from the sky light is cranked up, but its not GI so that's why everything looks all even and weird.

Certainly NOT next-gen lighting. Under the bridge at sunset should look more like this and as its sets further. Things get progressively darker in a gradient like look. But its not pitch black.

gi1.png

gi2.png

The lighting of the below pics looks so much better

alloush

Switch The Ugly and The Bad up and we good.

A Pro is never pointless honestly, yeah it is too close to the PS6 launch but if they do release the Pro in 2024 then we still get 4 yers out of it before PS6 hits which is more than the time we have spent with the PS5 so far.

Spot on. They want it to cost no more than $500 of course. They always err on the side of cheaper parts in hopes of hitting that sweet spit price to sell more units.

This gen will be long and disappointing in terms of tech. PC is already embarrassing the console makers.
Man, this irks me so much. We get a thousand dollar phones each and every year and people end up getting said phone each and every year me included and no one bats an eye. The second Sony and MS release a $500+ console everybody loses their shit. I say release an $800 console next gen and fuck little Timmy and his grandmother who wanted to buy him the console for Christmas. She can get him the PS5 instead.

Represent.

Man, this character model looks incredible.

ND are in a league of their own.
Untouchable. Point blank.

This. It's as simple as that. This is disappointing as hell for PS5 only Spiderman. It's funny watching all the justifications "they're not Naughty Dog or Guerilla therefore we shouldn't have expected next gen visuals"
It's not justification. It's just the cold hard truth. Not a single dev but ND, R* or GG has proven to be talented or competent enough to expect truly impressive visuals from. The industry lacks talent. This gen has proven it. So expecting little old Insomniac to match ND or R* is just insanity. They have never done it, and they never will. They can't. They don't have the talent.

You have CDPR, but their games only look good on PC. Their console output is trash.
You have Kojima Productions. But Death Stranding is literally more of a movie than a game.
You have Crytek, which now takes 10 years per game.
Santa Monica used to be up there. But with Ragnarok, they no longer are. We will see what their next game looks like.
God knows the Ubisoft games they showed will get downgraded. Fact of life.
Every single MS studio but Playground is in "prove it" mode. And even with Playground, they're making a game in a brand new genre. So yes, they have to prove it.

Who else can you expect top tier visuals from? No one else has done it.

There's the top tier studios, and everyone else is hit or miss.

Its time to stop expecting top tier output from studios that have proven time and time again they aren't top dogs.

I was expecting more from Spider-Man 2... But when I sit down and think logically... Why? Its Insomniac. They make 5 games a year, and people praise them for it. They are the definition of Quantity over Quality.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I think they will charge $599. they want this to a profitable console and with the slim likely losing them money at $299 or $349, they will probably want to maximize profits with their more expensive and powerful SKU.

I think this is on AMD. They couldnt get any IPC gains going from RDNA 1 to RDNA 3. With Polaris they had a nice 25% gain from GCN1.1 which was in the base PS4. They were also able to reduce the size enough to double the CUs which they couldnt do here. Cerny and Sony can only do so much here. AMD's 7000 series is simply trash. They promised a 50% increase in RT performance over the 6000 series, but after viewing many benchmarks, i think its around 20% max. So maybe those 17 tflops become more like 19 tflops.

Sony needs to ditch AMD and go back to making their own chips again. AMD has refused to get their RT performance up to par with 2018 Nvidia GPUs let alone the 2023 ones. They still cannot match DLSS 2.0 4 years later. And both Sony and MS are at their mercy.

Get kutaragi back on and have Cerny supervise his crazy ass.

Top Bottom