• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

that 4k60 sound like bullshit, a 4090 barely does 4k60 in heavy games without dlss...

Unless is 4kinda 60 when watching the sky or a wall, then yeah.

Or sub pc low details like rdr2 for third parties.
Remember, the PS5 was advertised as an 8K 30 fps capable machine:messenger_tears_of_joy:

alloush

I think they will charge $599. they want this to a profitable console and with the slim likely losing them money at $299 or $349, they will probably want to maximize profits with their more expensive and powerful SKU.

I think this is on AMD. They couldnt get any IPC gains going from RDNA 1 to RDNA 3. With Polaris they had a nice 25% gain from GCN1.1 which was in the base PS4. They were also able to reduce the size enough to double the CUs which they couldnt do here. Cerny and Sony can only do so much here. AMD's 7000 series is simply trash. They promised a 50% increase in RT performance over the 6000 series, but after viewing many benchmarks, i think its around 20% max. So maybe those 17 tflops become more like 19 tflops.

Sony needs to ditch AMD and go back to making their own chips again. AMD has refused to get their RT performance up to par with 2018 Nvidia GPUs let alone the 2023 ones. They still cannot match DLSS 2.0 4 years later. And both Sony and MS are at their mercy.

Get kutaragi back on and have Cerny supervise his crazy ass.
Honestly I just wish Sony go back to Nvidia and ditch AMD. I reckon price was at the forefront of this move since Nvidia sell jewelry and not GPUs so they went with the cheaper option to reduce cost and price.

H . R . 2

Sad what happened with Bend, man. The way Sony operate is weird sometimes. Days Gone was loved by everyone (haven’t played it myself) but because it didn’t get a good Metacritic score Sony ditched plans for a sequel and the rest is history. Like I know Sony have incredibly high standards but sometimes they are over ruthless not in a good way. Funny, look at the state of their studios now.
I am still grieving for Evolution and RAD. Jim Ryan must be held accountable

PeteBull

that 4k60 sound like bullshit, a 4090 barely does 4k60 in heavy games without dlss...

Unless is 4kinda 60 when watching the sky or a wall, then yeah.

Or sub pc low details like rdr2 for third parties.
Some games it will do 4k60, in those base ps5 does now 4k30 ;D

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
SdlLdgA.gif

Need to see more of this game. If fucking Blooper Team can pull off these faces then UE5 needs to be mandated industry wide.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Honestly I just wish Sony go back to Nvidia and ditch AMD. I reckon price was at the forefront of this move since Nvidia sell jewelry and not GPUs so they went with the cheaper option to reduce cost and price.
Unfortunately nvidia doens't make cpus.

Intel is the next best choice, by their next 2 iterations of gpu they are gonna surpass amd most probably, and they make cpu aswell.

alloush

SdlLdgA.gif

Need to see more of this game. If fucking Blooper Team can pull off these faces then UE5 needs to be mandated industry wide.
What's this, Alan Wake?

Unfortunately nvidia doens't make cpus.

Intel is the next best choice, by their next 2 iterations of gpu they are gonna surpass amd most probably, and they make cpu aswell.
Must the CPU and GPU come from the same manufacturer in a console? Mixing it up isn't an option? I have zero faith in Intel whatsoever.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What's this, Alan Wake?

Must the CPU and GPU come from the same manufacturer in a console? Mixing it up isn't an option? I have zero faith in Intel whatsoever.
You are not gonna have amd AND nvidia, so intel or intel+nvidia is the next best choice.

What's this, Alan Wake?

highly integrated SoCs are unbeatable in cost efficiency usually if the tech itself is at all comparable.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who else can you expect top tier visuals from? No one else has done it.

There's the top tier studios, and everyone else is hit or miss.
I mean you yourself literally posted a realtime cutscene from Bloober that is clearly better than what ND managed in their PS5 only game. We have seen Epic's engineers produce two, one playable, demos that look a generation ahead of TLOU2. You are ignoring Hellblade 2 from Ninja Theory. You are ignoring Fable, Horizon FW and downplaying Death Stranding 2 which looks like this. You are dismissing the Ubisoft games even though Avatar was already downgraded, shown running on PS5 and looks better than TLOU Part 1 despite being open world. Besides, ND are the king of downgrades and fake trailers. You dismiss cyberpunk because it only looks good on PC, well ND is now doing dev on PC so there is nothing stopping them is there?

It turns out a lot of devs have topped ND but you are using arbitrary reasons to dismiss every other dev. When in fact you should be dismissing ND for not even adding RT reflections to TLOU when even this B Tier Insomniac studio managed it in 2020 and 2021 with Miles and Ratchet. Euro jank studios like the Metro dev have got RTGI working on consoles at 60 fps no less. This tech powerhouse with the ICE Team working internally couldnt even get a 40 fps mode working in TLOU Part 1.

3N3Fy42.jpg

ezgif-5-abd8a58f54.gif
3q665Dc.gif

K0OZ8Ug.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:

alloush

I mean you yourself literally posted a realtime cutscene from Bloober that is clearly better than what ND managed in their PS5 only game. We have seen Epic's engineers produce two, one playable, demos that look a generation ahead of TLOU2. You are ignoring Hellblade 2 from Ninja Theory. You are ignoring Fable, Horizon FW and downplaying Death Stranding 2 which looks like this. You are dismissing the Ubisoft games even though Avatar was already downgraded, shown running on PS5 and looks better than TLOU Part 1 despite being open world. You dismiss cyberpunk because it only looks good on PC, well ND is now doing dev on PC so there is nothing stopping them is there?

It turns out a lot of devs have topped ND but you are using arbitrary reasons to dismiss every other dev. When in fact you should be dismissing ND for not even adding RT reflections to TLOU when even this B Tier Insomniac studio managed it in 2020 and 2021 with Miles and Ratchet. Euro jank studios like the Metro dev have got RTGI working on consoles at 60 fps no less. This tech powerhouse with the ICE Team working internally couldnt even get a 40 fps mode working in TLOU Part 1.

3N3Fy42.jpg

ezgif-5-abd8a58f54.gif
3q665Dc.gif

K0OZ8Ug.gif
giphy.gif
Cannot wait to see more of DS2, man. It’s been a while!

Represent.

I mean you yourself literally posted a realtime cutscene from Bloober that is clearly better than what ND managed in their PS5 only game. We have seen Epic's engineers produce two, one playable, demos that look a generation ahead of TLOU2. You are ignoring Hellblade 2 from Ninja Theory. You are ignoring Fable, Horizon FW and downplaying Death Stranding 2 which looks like this. You are dismissing the Ubisoft games even though Avatar was already downgraded, shown running on PS5 and looks better than TLOU Part 1 despite being open world. You dismiss cyberpunk because it only looks good on PC, well ND is now doing dev on PC so there is nothing stopping them is there?

3N3Fy42.jpg

ezgif-5-abd8a58f54.gif
3q665Dc.gif

K0OZ8Ug.gif
giphy.gif
I love The Matrix demo, it blew my mind.

But we have to be real. It ran at 20fps and has like zero gameplay. It's all on-rails and is like 15 minutes long.

We have yet to see anything on the scale of an actual game come close to that. And I don't think any studio except R*, ND or GG can deliver such a thing.

And no, none of those devs have surpassed ND. TLOU 2 was a marvelous technical achievement only matched by RDR 2 last gen. That game is like 30 hours long and straight up looks like a PS5 game on 1.8 a TF machine. Both games today are still basically benchmarks, as in, if it doesn't blow those games away, it isn't next gen. And I'll bet all my money that their next SP game will wipe the floor with whatever most other devs put out. Thats just how it works with ND. And TLOU Part 1 was made mostly by VSG and Bend, it's hardly a ND production, just by name.

I absolutely am not downplaying HFW/Burning Shores, I go to war for those games harder than practically anyone here lol.

The Silent Hill gif I posted, if it comes out and looks like that, I'll eat my words - But these devs, time and time again, have proven me right, it will be downgraded.

HellBlade II looked amazing in its first reveal, then they showed it again and it was downgraded to hell. Still a good to great looking game, but not the showstopper the reveal was.

I am absolutely going to downplay all Ubisoft games until release. They simply do not deserve the benefit of the doubt after all of the HISTORIC downgrades they've pulled off over the past decade. They brought that on themselves. Like, we're talking Killzone 2, E3 level bull-trailers, multiple times. And to me Avatar still looks worse than Burning Shores in every department.

If SW Outlaws actually looks like that I will buy 5 copies of it because I'd be so fucking happy.

That leaves us with CDPR and Kojima. CyberPunk looks amazing on PC, but only on PC. To be fair, Witcher 3 looked great on consoles. So perhaps Cyberpunk was just a one off. Im looking forward to the Expansion coming out. It should look great on all platforms.

Kojima Productions is also up there. Death Stranding looked amazing, as does DS2. Decima engine is fantastic, it has yet to produce an ugly game.

All I'm really saying is... There is the truly elite (Naughty Dog, RockStar, Guerilla Games, Crytek) Then the Great (CDPR, Kojima, Santa Monica, Playground Ninja Theory, etc) Then the rest (Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Blooper, etc) Everyone can make an amazing looking game, but other than the elite devs I listed, they have to prove they can - until it becomes a forgone conclusion that any game they release will be elite looking.

With R*, ND, etc, we never have to wonder if their next game will look incredible, its a forgone conclusion, they never miss.

I hope more devs join their ranks by the end of this generation.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I love The Matrix demo, it blew my mind.

But we have to be real. It ran at 20fps and has like zero gameplay. It's all on-rails and is like 15 minutes long.

We have yet to see anything on the scale of an actual game come close to that. And I don't think any studio except R*, ND or GG can deliver such a thing.

And no, none of those devs have surpassed ND. TLOU 2 was a marvelous technical achievement only matched by RDR 2 last gen. That game is like 30 hours long and straight up looks like a PS5 game on 1.8 a TF machine. Both games today are still basically benchmarks, as in, if it doesn't blow those games away, it isn't next gen. And I'll bet all my money that their next SP game will wipe the floor with whatever most other devs put out. Thats just how it works with ND. And TLOU Part 1 was made mostly by VSG and Bend, it's hardly a ND production, just by name.

I absolutely am not downplaying HFW/Burning Shores, I go to war for those games harder than practically anyone here lol.

The Silent Hill gif I posted, if it comes out and looks like that, I'll eat my words - But these devs, time and time again, have proven me right, it will be downgraded.

HellBlade II looked amazing in its first reveal, then they showed it again and it was downgraded to hell. Still a good to great looking game, but not the showstopper the reveal was.

I am absolutely going to downplay all Ubisoft games until release. They simply do not deserve the benefit of the doubt after all of the HISTORIC downgrades they've pulled off over the past decade. They brought that on themselves. Like, we're talking Killzone 2, E3 level bull-trailers, multiple times. And to me Avatar still looks worse than Burning Shores in every department.

If SW Outlaws actually looks like that I will buy 5 copies of it because I'd be so fucking happy.

That leaves us with CDPR and Kojima. CyberPunk looks amazing on PC, but only on PC. To be fair, Witcher 3 looked great on consoles. So perhaps Cyberpunk was just a one off. Im looking forward to the Expansion coming out. It should look great on all platforms.

Kojima Productions is also up there. Death Stranding looked amazing, as does DS2. Decima engine is fantastic, it has yet to produce an ugly game.

All I'm really saying is... There is the truly elite (Naughty Dog, RockStar, Guerilla Games, Crytek) Then the Great (CDPR, Kojima, Santa Monica, Playground Ninja Theory, etc) Then the rest (Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Blooper, etc) Everyone can make an amazing looking game, but other than the elite devs I listed, they have to prove they can - until it becomes a forgone conclusion that any game they release will be elite looking.

With R*, ND, etc, we never have to wonder if their next game will look incredible, its a forgone conclusion, they never miss.

I hope more devs join their ranks by the end of this generation.
i dont know what matrix demo you played but i played the open world demo where i flew and drove around for hours in a fully simulated city with NPCs and traffic numbering in the tens of thousands.

The 20 fps drops are concerning but thats mostly due to the demo being CPU bound. i was able to get a smooth 30 fps by reducing traffic and NPC density by half. When walking around, the game didnt drop any frames. During the chase scene the average fps was 29.5 fps.

ND has been downgrading for just as long as Ubisoft. In fact, the same year Watch Dogs was revealed, ND revealed TLOU 1 with AI that was simply absent from the final game. Then two years later they released that fake Uncharted 4 teaser at 1080p 60 fps that they couldnt even match in cutscenes at 30 fps. Then 4 years on, they revealed TLOU2 with prerendered animations and character models that were not in the final game. they are the king of downgrades.

If you are going to dismiss Ubisoft which went out of its way to show the game running on a PS5 then why trust ND?

I will give you that ND are king at animations, facial rendering and cutscene direction, but other than that, their games during gameplay dont really look generation ahead of even Sonys own studios. go play that seattle day one open world level then try any horizon level. its not even close.

Except for when they missed with TLOU part 1. I dont know man. People said the same thing to me about Spiderman 2, how insomniac never misses and will be the first true next gen game. I kept warning you guys that insomniac is a b-tier studio but you didnt listen and now you have them in the C-tier. ND is clever, they will release a fake Uncharted 4/Spiderman 2 style reveal trailer with insane graphics then show us the real game. Or if they are dishonest like GG, they will create a fake vertical slice then downgrade that as well.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean you yourself literally posted a realtime cutscene from Bloober that is clearly better than what ND managed in their PS5 only game. We have seen Epic's engineers produce two, one playable, demos that look a generation ahead of TLOU2. You are ignoring Hellblade 2 from Ninja Theory. You are ignoring Fable, Horizon FW and downplaying Death Stranding 2 which looks like this. You are dismissing the Ubisoft games even though Avatar was already downgraded, shown running on PS5 and looks better than TLOU Part 1 despite being open world. Besides, ND are the king of downgrades and fake trailers. You dismiss cyberpunk because it only looks good on PC, well ND is now doing dev on PC so there is nothing stopping them is there?

3N3Fy42.jpg

ezgif-5-abd8a58f54.gif
3q665Dc.gif

K0OZ8Ug.gif
giphy.gif
I swear, Death Stranding 2 better have Monster energy drink in it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Memory lane moment, when i saw this trailer for the first time, the scene when the final punch made the cheek vibrate was one of the most "holy shit this is next gen" moment i ever experienced, that ps3 presentation was magic and they were selling enough bullshit to fertilize a desert:lollipop_squinting:

This was way, way beyond anything we had before in terms of graphic, one real step into photorealism, it looks good even today.

Last edited:
She is fucking mary jane, she has always been an example of hot redhead in comics and movies, you don't need to go realistic on a fucking spiderman game...

I didn't had a problem with the dude in the fable trailer because i understand the joke and the intention of the developers, in here is different, mary jane should be smokin hot, at least to counter a little how bitchy and annoying she is if she is written like the first game.
I agree, but my point STILL stands…

GymWolf

Gold Member
I agree, but my point STILL stands…
Well we don't have to worry anymore about who is right or not, apparently the dude that does the precision correction work after the face scan of the female real life models is the same guy who filmed jimbo during the e3, i think his name is Shaky Mcparkinson

jim-ryan-ps4.gif

Quite the promotion in role for him.

Last edited:

Represent.

i dont know what matrix demo you played but i played the open world demo where i flew and drove around for hours in a fully simulated city with NPCs and traffic numbering in the tens of thousands.

The 20 fps drops are concerning but thats mostly due to the demo being CPU bound. i was able to get a smooth 30 fps by reducing traffic and NPC density by half. When walking around, the game didnt drop any frames. During the chase scene the average fps was 29.5 fps.

ND has been downgrading for just as long as Ubisoft. In fact, the same year Watch Dogs was revealed, ND revealed TLOU 1 with AI that was simply absent from the final game. Then two years later they released that fake Uncharted 4 teaser at 1080p 60 fps that they couldnt even match in cutscenes at 30 fps. Then 4 years on, they revealed TLOU2 with prerendered animations and character models that were not in the final game. they are the king of downgrades.

If you are going to dismiss Ubisoft which went out of its way to show the game running on a PS5 then why trust ND?

I will give you that ND are king at animations, facial rendering and cutscene direction, but other than that, their games during gameplay dont really look generation ahead of even Sonys own studios. go play that seattle day one open world level then try any horizon level. its not even close.

Except for when they missed with TLOU part 1. I dont know man. People said the same thing to me about Spiderman 2, how insomniac never misses and will be the first true next gen game. I kept warning you guys that insomniac is a b-tier studio but you didnt listen and now you have them in the C-tier. ND is clever, they will release a fake Uncharted 4/Spiderman 2 style reveal trailer with insane graphics then show us the real game. Or if they are dishonest like GG, they will create a fake vertical slice then downgrade that as well.
Yeah but in that open world there was no combat, no interactivity, NPC's did nothing, if a game released in that state it would score 1/10's all around.

And you know me, I dont give a damn about framerate. I would legit take a 20fps game if it looked like that demo.

Sure, every single developer has downgraded their game. ND included. But there's downgrade and then there's Ubisoft downgrade where it's literally an entirely different game. Rainbow Six comes to mind. Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Division, etc. Just egregious. I don't know why you have any faith in them at all? What have they done to suddenly be trustworthy?

I want to believe in SW Outlaws SO badly but I just cant yet. Like how is Ubisoft just going to suddenly produce better graphics than the entire industry when they have never done that before

And ND will downgrade their game, sure yes, but the final product will still look better than anything out at the time (Uncharted 4, Last of Us Part II). When Ubisoft downgrade their game, the final product isn't even the best looking game of the month.

And I know you hate TLOU Part 1 lol, but what don't you like about it? To me it's not a miss, its right up there with Horizon FW, Demons Souls, Ratchet, etc as the best looking games of this mediocre gen.

Like... I don't know how this isn't one of the best looking games of the gen. It speaks for itself. The environments look incredible. And then you add in the incredible faces and it takes it to an even higher level.

52373202602_00a37b0988_o.png

52375033830_45733db61b_o.png

52374618691_02801bafab_o.png

52374618636_e6fabf1f88_o.png

52346984182_4e86075967_o.png
52348187513_a796900d9f_o.png

Like thats easily one of the best looking games this gen

Lol. Compare it to miles morals. I’m telling you. There’s no upgrade. There’s cutscenes with miles with SSS in Miles Morales, that look better than any miles model shown in SM2

miles-morales-header.jpg

Vs

t7t7D8V.jpg
It’s lacking SSS in Spiderman 2. The first two Spiderman games on PS5 had awesome details in cutscenes, blew me away on my OLED…

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Remember when everyone (y'all) thought that SM2 development was finished 2 months ago and visuals wouldn't get better? We still have 3 months to go, so stay calm. We just got confirmation they're currently in post production. For God's sake let them cook.

OCASM

Banned
Are you serious?
Yes.

Remember when everyone (y'all) thought that SM2 development was finished 2 months ago and visuals wouldn't get better? We still have 3 months to go, so stay calm. We just got confirmation they're currently in post production. For God's sake let them cook.
You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Time to accept the facts.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Time to accept the facts.

I'm already satisfied with what they've accomplished.

Yes. I'm always honest especially in this thread. Look guys, I got what I wanted from a current gen only Spider-Man. High quality shadow rendering is featured in almost every scene shown, day and night. The depth it gives to these scenes is awesome. I'm not here to convince anyone and God knows SM2 doesn't need any boosting from me. The trailer is sitting at 3 million and counting. What sucks is that some of you didn't get the next gen feel you've been craving and that's a real bummer. I'm not sure what you guys are looking for but I hope you find it soon.

Edder1

3 months? Common man. At this point mods need to do background check on you to see if you don't work for Insomniac, lol.

Last edited:

Falc67

Bruh you can't even make out his hair due to the compression, literally has no detail. Y'all obsessed with Spiderman btw.

Of course I am. I loved the first game and miles morales. I played it day one on PS5 launch. Still looks good.

Just because I’m a PS fan, doesn’t mean I’m deluded into think a game looks next gen because it has a PS5 only stamp.

We both know which picture looks better…

Top Bottom