• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Xtib81

We have people on this forum praising FROM Software for these ugly ass, PS3 era graphics.

f20N8J5.jpg

As long as devs think this is good enough (thanks to low standards by fans), the majority of them wont ever show any ambition or desire to push fidelity anymore.

We're fucked.
The gameplay shown low key looks like an early PS4 game. It has scale, undoubtedly, but other than that it looks trash, lighting, texture quality or geometry to name a few look weak.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
AC6 got low visual fidelity but amazing explosions and particle effects. Draw distance seem snice too. As fog effects.
It's just a lot of simple shading and simple geometry.
I declare it - NOT NEXT-GEN (still amazing, day1 garage edition)

edit: REVERT "not next-gen". Change status to "undecided before release"
Vaatividya actually got much higher quality footage:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is par the course for all FROM games. Just an abysmal studio tech wise.
Nah, I was just raving about BB, DS3 and Sekiro in the other thread. ER is open world and obviously looks worse than those linear games but they have come a long way from their awful couple of entries in DeS and DS1. I know Sony Japan helped a lot with BB and both DS3 and especially Sekiro benefited from whatever FromSoft learned from their dev on BB.

I think the reason why AC6 looks this way is because of that open or wide open design. And unlike other open world games, they needed it to be vertical. A lot of open world games cull out detail in the distance using fog or hills and just focus on rendering the highest quality stuff directly in front of you. AC6 has a mech that can fly anywhere at any time.

Of course, had they focused just on current gen machines, it wouldve looked better but what are you gonna do. Its a shame that a game that started mid 2019 targeted last gen consoles.

SlimySnake

NX Gamer on the new SPiderman trailer. Brings up hair as the biggest upgrade. Also talks about how RT Shadows might be used during cutscenes. Thats pretty much it.

Whats curious that both him and John from DF are speculating that there will be no fallback reflections and the game will only ship with RT reflections. Not sure why they are all saying this because Ratchet was next gen only and shipped with cube maps and SSR reflections.

This is important because if they dont ship with those fallback reflections then a 60 fps mode might become very challenging. Performance RT was already dropping to 1080p in Miles and thats when the RT mode was at native 4k. With now the RT mode dropping to 1296p, its possible they will have to drop to 720p for the 60 fps RT mode. Probably too low for them to even include one.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
NX Gamer on the new SPiderman trailer. Brings up hair as the biggest upgrade. Also talks about how RT Shadows might be used during cutscenes. Thats pretty much it.

Whats curious that both him and John from DF are speculating that there will be no fallback reflections and the game will only ship with RT reflections. Not sure why they are all saying this because Ratchet was next gen only and shipped with cube maps and SSR reflections.

This is important because if they dont ship with those fallback reflections then a 60 fps mode might become very challenging. Performance RT was already dropping to 1080p in Miles and thats when the RT mode was at native 4k. With now the RT mode dropping to 1296p, its possible they will have to drop to 720p for the 60 fps RT mode. Probably too low for them to even include one.

For me the unlocked fidelity mode was the best option on ps5. The performance mode lacked the crisp iq and reflections while the fidelity mode was just not so smooth. I love the 40fps and vrr modes in this gen.

SlimySnake

AC6 got low visual fidelity but amazing explosions and particle effects. Draw distance seem snice too. As fog effects.

lol what are you doing? its last gen. they announced it coming to PS4.

And yes, the game does look pretty good in terms of scale. But compare it to Remnant 2's nanite levels and it becomes obvious that the asset quality is decidedly last gen.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol what are you doing? its last gen. they announced it coming to PS4.

And yes, the game does look pretty good in terms of scale. But compare it to Remnant 2's nanite levels and it becomes obvious that the asset quality is decidedly last gen.
Yeah I know. I want to give it a benefit of a doubt :p
It's not NEXT GEN by definition of being cross gen

SlimySnake

For me the unlocked fidelity mode was the best option on ps5. The performance mode lacked the crisp iq and reflections while the fidelity mode was just not so smooth. I love the 40fps and vrr modes in this gen.
Same. If you can, go back and play the Uncharted 4 chase sequence in 4k 40+ fps. it's native 4k, looks insane and feels way better than the 30 fps version. The very next open world island level you explore on a boat is also very gorgeous with some stunning HDR.

The only game with a 40+ fps mode I had issues with was GOW Ragnorak. it felt way too jittery with VRR on with some really weird stuttering. Turning off VRR and keeping the 120 Hz mode on made it a locked 40 fps and the stuttering went away. Probably an LFC issue with that game because Ratchet and Miles didnt have this issue.

proandrad

I really like the unlocked performance without RT. You get the sharp resolution with the high framerate and the only down side was less dense population and standard reflection. But 40fps mode was incredibly smooth.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Same. If you can, go back and play the Uncharted 4 chase sequence in 4k 40+ fps. it's native 4k, looks insane and feels way better than the 30 fps version. The very next open world island level you explore on a boat is also very gorgeous with some stunning HDR.

The only game with a 40+ fps mode I had issues with was GOW Ragnorak. it felt way too jittery with VRR on with some really weird stuttering. Turning off VRR and keeping the 120 Hz mode on made it a locked 40 fps and the stuttering went away. Probably an LFC issue with that game because Ratchet and Miles didnt have this issue.
I also played UC4 + LL in that mode and it was so clean and smooth compared to 30fps mode. And yeah i also noticed the jitter in GOW, i just had to set it to 60fps mode which looked almost the same as 30 mode.

This is par the course for all FROM games. Just an abysmal studio tech wise.
As a gamer, would you rather a studio release one technically polished game every 5 years or 2-3 games every 5 years that are visually less impressive? FromSoft has such good gameplay mechanics that I can overlook mediocre graphics. And I'd rather not wait 4-5 years for every release like most studios

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

While its disappointing that Remnant 2 doesnt use Lumens and ends up looking rather average due to its lighting, I am loving the high quality assets we are seeing here. Likely thanks to their Nanite usage. Everything feels like an actual model instead of just a painted on textures. Walls, pipes, even the ground feels tessellated. This is the kind of stuff completely missing from FF16 which has this very glued on/painted on look to all its ingame assets.

Sadly it comes at a cost and the game runs at 1296p at 30 fps even without Lumens. I wonder if nanite is whats CPU bound in UE5. This is the first real game using UE5 and its coming under 1440p which they said was their target for consoles.

Makes sense now why a few devs have stuck to UE4. These consoles appear too weak to make use of the UE5 feature set whilst achieving stability and good IQ.

That screen tearing is appauling.

Last edited:
I just went through the first three pages of this thread and no one even mentioned Spiderman Miles in the same breath as Graphics Fidelity we expected this gen. Crazy that 2 years later, our standards have fallen so much.
MM truly looks awesome for a cross gen game..looks CGI in gameplay sometimes…
]

Last edited:

Edder1

While its disappointing that Remnant 2 doesnt use Lumens and ends up looking rather average due to its lighting, I am loving the high quality assets we are seeing here. Likely thanks to their Nanite usage. Everything feels like an actual model instead of just a painted on textures. Walls, pipes, even the ground feels tessellated. This is the kind of stuff completely missing from FF16 which has this very glued on/painted on look to all its ingame assets.

Sadly it comes at a cost and the game runs at 1296p at 30 fps even without Lumens. I wonder if nanite is whats CPU bound in UE5. This is the first real game using UE5 and its coming under 1440p which they said was their target for consoles.

It's a AA game made on a tight budget by a small studio so we shouldn't expect anything groundbreaking from a technical perspective. Last Remnant was also technically unimpressive.

Last edited:

Nice!

Makes sense now why a few devs have stuck to UE4. These consoles appear too weak to make use of the UE5 feature set whilst achieving stability and good IQ.

That screen tearing is appauling.

I think you nailed it. We have so many examples of games struggling to hit reasonably high resolutions and those are just cross gen games. Its also obvious that with actual next gen games, 60 fps at 1440p is out of the question.

What you brought up would explain a lot, including perhaps another reason Sony isn't doing much to push their own system. Sony studios know better than anyone what the PS5 is or isnt capable of so if that could explain why they're only slightly updating their engines (and of course from a $$ saving pov). Sony puts a premium on image quality. Theyre not going to release something using all the latest tech if it results in a muddy image.

Sony should've known how crucial dynamic lighting was going to be this gen and equipped PS5 with a better GPU. They mustve deemed that financially unfeasable and then tried to make up for it by adding extra customizations to the SSD. As such tho thr consoles are being made to look positively last gen compared to todays modest PC's.

Only thing that can save this gen for me is a mid gen refresh that can handle RT gi at 40 fps and 1440p with PC "high" settings, at a minimum. Im not asking for Ultra at native 4k/60. I dont think what im asking is unreasonable for a $600 refresh.

Without rt gi (or some advanced dynamic gi), basic rt reflections, high quality ssao, good iq, and at least 40 fps - we will be stuck in last gen territory. We cant go back to 30 fps and especially not where we are now which is 30 fps + sub 1440p without even having rt in some cases!

Its not a good look with FF16 and jedi survivor (which i dont believe really has rt gi like DF speculated and we decided to run with). Or LoU1 which has no RT and cant do a proper 40 fps. Or Dying Light 2 which looks so much worse than the PC, Cyberpunk, etc. Now we have Spidey 2 coming that comes in at 1296p at 30 fps with RT reflections and MAYBE shadows (not confirmed) while still looking cross gen af.

I've always appreciated/valued real-time cutscenes, especially in story driven games. This thread is "Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen"; no exclusive qualifier for discussions to be about gameplay only. What exactly is your argument here?

This is a big part of your problem. You should realize by now that when people talk about graphics, they're referring to gameplay unless its specified as a separate "cutscene" related discussion!

Come on man. Now you're starting to be disingenuous by trying to mix them together. Do we really have to keep explaining why cutscene graphics are different than gameplay visuals?

If you want to be taken seriously here you should at least start with this.

SlimySnake

Ratchet is steam deck verified. 1.7 tflops gpu can run this game.

Told you all it wasn’t pushing the ps5 gpu.

The moment i saw they were running at native 4k 40 fps with rt on, i knew they were not pushing graphics hard with this game. Very disappointing that the one studio Sony allowed to make next Gen games chose to limit themselves for no reason.

Last edited:
I wonder if in this thread you arn't confusing graphic quality with technical quality...
This captures of Spiderman seems to me boring as hell, the banality of the real.
Elden Ring or ArmoredCore 6 have a setting , a Artistic Direction, a sense of scale that excites me more than an HFW or Spiderman.
HFW is a kind of Blockbuster calibrated for the American public, devoid of spirit and with less consistent cultural references than an ER.
It's my taste and my humble opinion.
Although I would love to work on a game like HFW (I do professional warping).
ER is the game that has artistically impressed me the most in my gaming life. (and also a game full of cultural european references)
Technical quality isn’t correlated with artistic quality. This is purely fidelity no matter what art direction…

Edder1

From has finally added a 120 fps option on PC with this game. So that one dude who was arguing that 60 fps makes games next gen should be happy that hes now getting a PS6 game from FromSoft.
I wonder when people say these things if they even consider how other people would react and what would the counter arguments be. Obviously not.

Last edited:

CGNoire

The gameplay shown low key looks like an early PS4 game. It has scale, undoubtedly, but other than that it looks trash, lighting, texture quality or geometry to name a few look weak.
This. FROM makes way too much money to not have updated there engine and graphics pipeline by now. Its Pure Complacency and Greed.

CGNoire

Its a Ps4 game as well....so it isnt next gen.

CGNoire

As a gamer, would you rather a studio release one technically polished game every 5 years or 2-3 games every 5 years that are visually less impressive? FromSoft has such good gameplay mechanics that I can overlook mediocre graphics. And I'd rather not wait 4-5 years for every release like most studios
It takes way longer to balance gameplay well than it does to create assets of suitible technical proficiency.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think you nailed it. We have so many examples of games struggling to hit reasonably high resolutions and those are just cross gen games. Its also obvious that with actual next gen games, 60 fps at 1440p is out of the question.

What you brought up would explain a lot, including perhaps another reason Sony isn't doing much to push their own system. Sony studios know better than anyone what the PS5 is or isnt capable of so if that could explain why they're only slightly updating their engines (and of course from a $$ saving pov). Sony puts a premium on image quality. Theyre not going to release something using all the latest tech if it results in a muddy image.

Sony should've known how crucial dynamic lighting was going to be this gen and equipped PS5 with a better GPU. They mustve deemed that financially unfeasable and then tried to make up for it by adding extra customizations to the SSD. As such tho thr consoles are being made to look positively last gen compared to todays modest PC's.

Only thing that can save this gen for me is a mid gen refresh that can handle RT gi at 40 fps and 1440p with PC "high" settings, at a minimum. Im not asking for Ultra at native 4k/60. I dont think what im asking is unreasonable for a $600 refresh.

Without rt gi (or some advanced dynamic gi), basic rt reflections, high quality ssao, good iq, and at least 40 fps - we will be stuck in last gen territory. We cant go back to 30 fps and especially not where we are now which is 30 fps + sub 1440p without even having rt in some cases!

Its not a good look with FF16 and jedi survivor (which i dont believe really has rt gi like DF speculated and we decided to run with). Or LoU1 which has no RT and cant do a proper 40 fps. Or Dying Light 2 which looks so much worse than the PC, Cyberpunk, etc. Now we have Spidey 2 coming that comes in at 1296p at 30 fps with RT reflections and MAYBE shadows (not confirmed) while still looking cross gen af.
The final 1-2 years of the generation you'll get monster titles like Last of Us 3, GTA6 etc... that'll look very spectacular. But those kind of games have the the benefit of essentially having access to the highest budgets in the industry, the best engineers, tech and also time. 5yrs+ of dev time for the studios to craft a fine tuned experience at their lesiure. I think that's the kind of mix needed for studios to maximise the feature set of engines like UE5, however they're the exception not the norm.

When PS6 comes around then we'll probably see all this Lumen/Nantite/RT bells and whistles added to games from a wider range of studios.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Boy oh boy, we are now rating graphics based on their utility??? Incredible. If there is no direct tie-in to gameplay, then nice visuals might as well be prerendered, Slimy says. You should be excommunicated from this thread for uttering such nonsense. Rofif and I will convene and notify you of our final decision (subject to ResetEraVIP's blessings of course).

The real question is, what the heck is there to do in this ugly, barren wasteland???

zylDwVv.jpg
You can fill the whole planet with stolen sandwiches, talk about nextgen mechanics.

Go_Ly_Dow

This. FROM makes way too much money to not have updated there engine and graphics pipeline by now. Its Pure Complacency and Greed.
How so? FROM games could do with some improvement in certain aspects, such as frame pacing, but it's a bit of a stretch to go this far. Clearly the audience that buys FROM game isn't fixated on the visuals, but more so the combat, world design, art direction and general game systems/features.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Yeah, assets don't have any right to look this good on a AA game, you should play this game on pc, the game itself is also fantastic.

Last edited:

CGNoire

How so? FROM games could do with some improvement in certain aspects, such as frame pacing, but it's a bit of a stretch to go this far. Clearly the audience that buys FROM game isn't fixated on the visuals, but more so the combat, world design, art direction and general game systems/features.
I always find this interpretation funny. The notion that because alot of there fans seem graphicly satisfied that its some indicator of a mutualy agreed upon marker being met. If that was the case then they would use the gameplay graphics on the games cover or in the initial cgi teaser or during its non gameplay promotional shots or even in there clearly visualy updated garage. Yet they and every dev under the sun doesnt do that do they? What they do is use the absolute highest quality visuals for there inital communication to fans as well as on all marketing publications including the games cover. They included better visuals in th assembly stage because that is what they wished the game looked like. The only reason it doesnt is because there fans keep acting like its not important to "ever" improve it and have sent that message loud and clear which Im sure is pretty disapointing to there main art team but it sure allows them an excuse to never reinvest the money nessessary to upgrade there tech accordingly. They want better visuals in there games just as much as I do but there not willing to sacrifice the dough to make it happen because there complacent and greedy.

Go_Ly_Dow

I always find this interpretation funny. The notion that because alot of there fans seem graphicly satisfied that its some indicator of a mutualy agreed upon marker being met. If that was the case then they would use the gameplay graphics on the games cover or in the initial cgi teaser or during its non gameplay promotional shots or even in there clearly visualy updated garage. Yet they and every dev under the sun doesnt do that do they? What they do is use the absolute highest quality visuals for there inital communication to fans as well as on all marketing publications including the games cover. They included better visuals in th assembly stage because that is what they wished the game looked like. The only reason it doesnt is because there fans keep acting like its not important to "ever" improve it and have sent that message loud and clear which Im sure is pretty disapointing to there main art team but it sure allows them an excuse to never reinvest the money nessessary to upgrade there tech accordingly. They want better visuals in there games just as much as I do but there not willing to sacrifice the dough to make it happen because there complacent and greedy.
Far as I can see FROM haven't released any current gen only games have they? So you're jumping the gun assuming they wont move beyond the visuals we got in cross-gen Elden Ring. Also it seems they were smart with ER development. They had 5-6 versions to develop or whatever for launch, it was their biggest project ever, a limited budget, a release time frame and so they elected to focus on making a game they could realistically release within that framework - that wasn't a hot mess and was both a playable and enjoyable experience.

Judging by the critical/fan reception and sales it seems they were vindicated in this approach. Rather than focus more on visuals for the minority.

Also I'm sure it is important for them to improve their tech at a gradual pace that works for them. We can see clear tech evolution from Demon Souls to Dark Souls to Bloodborne to Elden Ring. Not just raw visuals but game scope for example. Meanwhile you seem to be implying they've never improved?

Quite frankly your take is quite easy to tear apart by putting forward reasonable arguments as to why its not in every developers or gamers best interests to push for the best visuals possible (as recent games show with many studios releasing titles that are disappointing those that obsess with visuals) and instead focus on the wider experience offered in video games.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Rather than focus more on visuals for the minority.
Its not a zero sum game. If they really wanted too they could have increased the size of there art team and set up a more Robust R&D team inbetween titles since they sure can afford it. There is zero reason that should effect gameplay. At this point im not even talking about a next gen upgrade but woukd it kill them to upgrade it to at least 2015 expectations. Texture resolutions look ambysmal, there lighting is still flat as usual and they still dont have any self shadowing during gameplay. So far there doesnt seem to be any PS5 upgrades for its version outside of resolution/framerate.

Ill go a step further as say that the game already looks to be downgraded from there inital reveal and screenshots where they clearly showcased self shadowing on the mechs and light sources casting over huge distances which is very demanding. But what do ya know all the most demanding effects just magicly disappeared during the gameplay reveal. There marketing departments is clearly taking cues from the morally bankrupt western marketing departments. Anytime massive influxes of money meets minimal expectations we get the same greedy results.

Far as I can see FROM haven't released any current gen only games have they? So you're jumping the gun assuming they wont move beyond the visuals we got in cross-gen Elden Ring. Also it seems they were smart with ER development. They had 5-6 versions to develop or whatever for launch, it was their biggest project ever, a limited budget, a release time frame and so they elected to focus on making a game they could realistically release within that framework - that wasn't a hot mess and was both a playable and enjoyable experience.

Judging by the critical/fan reception and sales it seems they were vindicated in this approach. Rather than focus more on visuals for the minority.

Also I'm sure it is important for them to improve their tech at a gradual pace that works for them. We can see clear tech evolution from Demon Souls to Dark Souls to Bloodborne to Elden Ring. Not just raw visuals but game scope for example. Meanwhile you seem to be implying they've never improved?

Quite frankly your take is quite easy to tear apart by putting forward reasonable arguments as to why its not in every developers or gamers best interests to push for the best visuals possible (as recent games show with many studios releasing titles that are disappointing those that obsess with visuals) and instead focus on the wider experience offered in video games.

Uhh .. really.. "Yeah Froms graphics are slow to improve but its OK because of gameplay and theyre making lots of bank"

Ratchet is steam deck verified. 1.7 tflops gpu can run this game.

Told you all it wasn’t pushing the ps5 gpu.

The moment i saw they were running at native 4k 40 fps with rt on, i knew they were not pushing graphics hard with this game. Very disappointing that the one studio Sony allowed to make next Gen games chose to limit themselves for no reason.

Are you fucking kidding me lol

Now demon souls stands alone. A launch title. It feels like the only next Gen only game besides… sigh… yes FF16 (at times) that flexes the ps5

So excited for starfield/avatar later this year to remind me that I own a next gen console. If we didn’t have those and just had SP2, PHEW

SlimySnake

A couple of things. This was made by the sekiro team which last released a game in March 2019. So it took them roughly 4.5 years to make this game. Why they didnt just make this a next gen only game when starting literally a month before PS5 devkits were sent is definitely criticism worthy. Also, we talk about visuals taking up precious dev time, and yet you yourself mentioned how they had to ship 5-6 versions of ER and now AC6. That sounds like a lot of dev work to me.

I also laugh at people saying that GRAPHICS are the reason game development is so long nowadays while dismissing UE5 demos made by one person because 'well, it's just graphics, not gameplay.'. So which is it? Maybe its the fact that AC6 is 50-60 hours long and Elden Ring has 200 hours of content. 350 bosses.

Graphics especially on next gen engines like UE5 actually are easier and less time consuming because all you need now is to have the artist draw something, and import it. Nanite takes care of everything else. Ray tracing takes care of reflections, shadows and removes the need to have artists go in and bake in lighting just to make games look realistic. If anything, switching to next gen engines wouldve saved them dev time. Fewer consoles to develop for, and have the engine literally light and create reflections for you.

SlimySnake

Now demon souls stands alone. A launch title. It feels like the only next Gen only game besides… sigh… yes FF16 (at times) that flexes the ps5

So excited for starfield/avatar later this year to remind me that I own a next gen console. If we didn’t have those and just had SP2, PHEW
Demon souls is another 4k 30 fps game dude. If it runs at native 4k on a 10 tflops console, it will run at 1080p on a 2.5 tflops console. 900p on a 1.8 tflops GPU like the PS4.

Thats why I always asked for 1440p 30 fps games like the Matrix demo and the first UE5 demo on PS5. In order to get that to run on a 1.8 tflops GPU, you would have to reduce resolution to 600p. Probably lower as we saw that even the 4 tflops series s was dropping significantly below 533p in the matrix demo.

I have bad News for you...

None of these two (starfield and avatar) have proper nextgen look.

Maybe Starfield has nextgen "feel" wich is subjective.

Graphics wise, the only one closer to nextgen look we will get by the end of this year is The Amazing SpiderMan 2 on quality mode.

Edder1

I have bad News for you...

None of these two (starfield and avatar) have proper nextgen look.

Maybe Starfield has nextgen "feel" wich is subjective.

Graphics wise, the only one closer to nextgen look we will get by the end of this year is The Amazing SpiderMan 2 on quality mode.
You were trying to make sense until you threw Spiderman 2 at the end there, lol.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This is a big part of your problem. You should realize by now that when people talk about graphics, they're referring to gameplay unless its specified as a separate "cutscene" related discussion!

Lies. We've been talking about all cuts of graphics whether gameplay or cinematics, so long as they are real-time. I'm too slammed today to pull up receipts but you know damn well you're lying here.

Top Bottom