• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GooseMan69

I have taken some late story mission screenshots of FF16. Mostly of characters and villains. The cutscenes in this game simply look stunning.

Again, mostly character models but full disclosure these are from late story missions.

F2An-HOWYAAbAa5

F2An1r6XoAE-OjI

F2An17tXoAEXWeo

F2An2K9XsAAk-J9

I dont know what kind of black magic they are doing to give these characters such a CG look but i would love to see more games utilize this technique.

The boat scene is stunning. Best looking cutscene I’ve ever seen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The boat scene is stunning. Best looking cutscene I’ve ever seen.
Yep. The only problem I have with the boat scene is that i thought it was realtime because they were using ingame character models, but the ocean is CG so those incredible wakes the ships leave behind them is all pre-rendered. I was losing my mind just marveling at those water effects so it was kind of disappointing to hear that they pre-rendered the water in an otherwise realtime cutscene with ingame character models. i dont even know how they are doing that.

Notice even when the resolution is really low the insane texture detail/geometry still makes it have a unique look no other game currently has. I wonder if this game is using virtual textures or megatextures? Sometimes i see texture loading even though I'm using a super fast nvme. The developers made the right choice here, nanite with virtual shadowmaps is enough to make a game look damn near cgi with ue5.

remnant2_202307261953ohevo.png

remnant2_202307262022eaest.png

remnant2_202307262030fhddy.png

remnant2_202307262308p4f35.png

remnant2_202307262310y5fw3.png

remnant2_20230726232100dbm.png

remnant2_2023072623279afhu.png

Last edited:
After thinking it over…this is truly my favorite thread on GAF, and I barely even participate. I keep coming back because it’s fun to see people go back and forth to try and one-up each other with modern video game imagery.

I think that’s also one of the biggest reasons I like this thread so much. It’s one of the few threads here where people are being overall positive and fair in criticism towards modern games, regardless of the competitive nature of conversation. It’s odd, but it’s cool, and it just works.

GooseMan69

Random thought but I was just looking at some old game trailers and came across the trailer for NBA 2K6 (first basketball game on 7th gen consoles) and I remembered how blown away I was when I saw it back then. The players sweating and their uniforms having cloth physics was a big deal at the time. Racing games and sports games were good showcases for new consoles back then. Racing sims still kinda are but sports games are greedy trash now and don’t push boundaries what so ever anymore.

Also, never forget that fucking ridiculous Madden 06 trailer that EA tried to push off as real gameplay. Underrated as the most fake bullshit trailer of all time. I know sports games don’t get talked about much here, but there was a time when graphics whores talked about them lol.

Last edited:

Alex11

Yep. The only problem I have with the boat scene is that i thought it was realtime because they were using ingame character models, but the ocean is CG so those incredible wakes the ships leave behind them is all pre-rendered. I was losing my mind just marveling at those water effects so it was kind of disappointing to hear that they pre-rendered the water in an otherwise realtime cutscene with ingame character models. i dont even know how they are doing that.
Well, in Rise of the Tomb Raider there is a similar technique used in some cutscenes. There was one with an avalanche and one with some water. There was DF video that explained how they combined the pre-rendered stuff with the real-time.

But, I really don't like it, remember when I first saw the avalanche one I said, "wow so cool" and when the gameplay resumed, I turned the camera and it wasn't the same, some particles, but yeah, it immediately broke my flow. Same with seeing that water, the rest of the water in the game was unimpressive afterwards, it just really irked me. From that game and that stuff, I only judge a game graphically from gameplay exclusively.

NahaNago

Would the Eikon fights even be remotely possible on last gen hardware? Bahamut and Titan in particular.
Outside of possibly the flying around the sky portion I don't see why not. Even the battles in the sky should be possible since it is just two people fighting and you don't have to physically interact with the background. The ground battles would just be kaiju fights and it isn't like they have a bunch of huge buildings crumbling around while the eikons fight. I'd be more impressed if we could actually jump on mountains, buildings, and use the environment to travel or fight with.

Alex11

Notice even when the resolution is really low the insane texture detail/geometry still makes it have a unique look no other game currently has. I wonder if this game is using virtual textures or megatextures? Sometimes i see texture loading even though I'm using a super fast nvme. The developers made the right choice here, nanite with virtual shadowmaps is enough to make a game look damn near cgi with ue5.

Played it a bit, it really looks nice, but those SS shadows are just jarring.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Imagine what a big AAA team can achieve with this tech.

RaduN

Wtf am i reading? It's a pre-rendered video file, simple as that, no mystery here. Nothing is otherwise realtime.

Using prerendered cutscenes with similar assets, or slightly improved to the ones in gameplay, because they couldn't make it run realtime decently, has been around in all generations since ps2.
Ex. Onimusha 4, all ps3 Yakuza games, Uncharted 1 to 3 have all cutscenes like this, even MGS4, known for the gorgeous realtime cutscenes, has a couple of them, where there are hundreds of soldiers on screen and ps3 would have imploded trying to render that.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Wait are you sure they mixed cg and ingame assets ...that would be just wierd.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Did fallen got a downgrade in the new presentation? Now it looks kinda like remnant 2, maybe it's just that shitty yt compression...

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

What do we think gents, watching now, have had my eye on this for a minute.

Also would you look at that, tech and art working together in unison to make a great looking game. I was told I was crazy to expect that.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Also would you look at that, tech and art working together in unison to make a great looking game. I was told I was crazy to expect that.

whats with these grainy artifacts all over the image constantly? Some form of image reconstruction? Looks very bad because of it imo.

Lethal01

Would the Eikon fights even be remotely possible on last gen hardware? Bahamut and Titan in particular.

Yes, extremely easily, making things big isn't really a technical challenge.

Honestly all the awe it's getting is funny, We had many game series containing bosses with more gameplay and bigger spectacles for a decade.

Last edited:

PeteBull

whats with these grainy artifacts all over the image constantly? Some form of image reconstruction? Looks very bad because of it imo.
When the console's gpu is too weak devs need to use all kinds of upscaling techniques/lower native res, cant be helped, xbox series x doesnt eat monsters for breakfast :p

SlimySnake

Random thought but I was just looking at some old game trailers and came across the trailer for NBA 2K6 (first basketball game on 7th gen consoles) and I remembered how blown away I was when I saw it back then. The players sweating and their uniforms having cloth physics was a big deal at the time. Racing games and sports games were good showcases for new consoles back then. Racing sims still kinda are but sports games are greedy trash now and don’t push boundaries what so ever anymore.

Also, never forget that fucking ridiculous Madden 06 trailer that EA tried to push off as real gameplay. Underrated as the most fake bullshit trailer of all time. I know sports games don’t get talked about much here, but there was a time when graphics whores talked about them lol.
My biggest problem with modern day Sony is their complete refusal to introduce next gen visuals in their premiere baseball franchise. we have had 3 years of baseball games this gen and they are still using last gen visuals going so far as to port the game to the fucking switch. absolutely disgusting stuff from a first party studio whose only job is to make games that show off your new $500 console. but they are more interested in porting games to ps3 era hardware. even NBA and Fifa have at least upgraded their character models. When EA and Take2 are doing more to utilize the next gen hardware, you know you've hit rock bottom.

Wtf am i reading? It's a pre-rendered video file, simple as that, no mystery here. Nothing is otherwise realtime.

Using prerendered cutscenes with similar assets, or slightly improved to the ones in gameplay, because they couldn't make it run realtime decently, has been around in all generations since ps2.
Ex. Onimusha 4, all ps3 Yakuza games, Uncharted 1 to 3 have all cutscenes like this, even MGS4, known for the gorgeous realtime cutscenes, has a couple of them, where there are hundreds of soldiers on screen and ps3 would have imploded trying to render that.
yeah, but uncharted 1-3 and TLOU1 character models and lighting got a massive boost in fidelity over their realtime character models. here the character models remain the same, and does everything else including the water. there is also no fade to black like in uncharted games so its very hard to make out exactly when the pre-rendered cutscene loaded. it is a real mindfuck because i am pretty used to seeing these pre-rendered files in games. They must have rendered these at native 4k because they look just as crisp as realtime cutscenes.

This is really gorgeous stuff. Lets hope other studios have something similar in the works because the textures and modeling is a generation apart.

“Venom spinoff game may be in development at Marvel's Spider-Man studio”

their 3rd game is a multiplayer game. expect something like suicide squad. might be a comic book cinematic universe game featuring multiple marvel characters. my guess is x-men or guadians of the galaxy or both.

Just like Remnant 2 it seems to use screen space shadows. Which is next to ss reflections the next thing to be annoyed about.

Screen space stuff just is unbearable to me, seeing parts of the player model erasing graphics all the time. Hope this doesn’t become an overused UE5 feature…

SlimySnake

Lmao at me getting pushback for calling armored core a PS4 looking game in that other thread. Some people really just see what they want to see.
Didn’t you get perma’d for shitting on elden rings? Dude don’t shit on fromsoft games and if you do stick to this thread.

Oscam got himself perma’d too in that same thread. Lets hope he’s let back in.

I did not post in that Spider-Man story trailer thread. At some point, they start to consider it derailing and you get yourself banned. Same reason why i stayed away from tlou Part 1 OT. You guys have to be smart about this stuff.

Stay in this thread.

SlimySnake

Just like Remnant 2 it seems to use screen space shadows. Which is next to ss reflections the next thing to be annoyed about.

Screen space stuff just is unbearable to me, seeing parts of the player model erasing graphics all the time. Hope this doesn’t become an overused UE5 feature…
The Matrix demo uses RT Lumens, RT shadows and RT reflections. In an open world. With far better visuals.

No idea whats going on with this game, but Epic needs to ensure these first few UE5 games ship with proper next gen support. this half assed shit is only going to hurt the brand name.

The video is 60 fps. Is it targeting 60 fps?

PeteBull

The Matrix demo uses RT Lumens, RT shadows and RT reflections. In an open world. With far better visuals.

No idea whats going on with this game, but Epic needs to ensure these first few UE5 games ship with proper next gen support. this half assed shit is only going to hurt the brand name.

The video is 60 fps. Is it targeting 60 fps?
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/digi...ies-x-s-df-tech-review.1659139/post-268219790 timestamped in the vid

tldr
IQ:
PS5 and SX: Quality renders at 1296p. Balance at 792p average. Perf at 720p.
- DRS is in play in Quality and Balanced. Performance sticks to the 720p.
- All modes up-sample to 1440p.
- Consoles use Unreal's Temporal Super Sampling which provides a better result than PC at 1440p using FSR. Though DF could not nail Unreal's TSR 100%
- All modes look roughly identical but Quality is the most stable with the least visual breakup.

Perf:
- PS5: Balance targets 60 FPS with V-Sync. Dips to 40s and worst dips at high 30s seen
- Quality targets 30 FPS with occasional single frame drops, one area noted with mid 20 drops.
- Performance: No V-sync, incredible tearing with similar frame rate dips like Balanced.
- DF does not recommend Performance mode

- Series X is identical to PS5 with similar runs of play with same kind of drops and lack of performance consistency.
- Series X, when the system is set to 120hz, is the only version where the performance can exceed 60 FPS. PS5's 120hz mode is still locked in a 60hz container.
- However, VRR does not seem to work in the 120hz mode, with tearing still present.

Skipped info on series S coz lol at that ;D

In other words this confirms it, any game, especially multiplat, that looks visibly better from last gen titles makes those current gen consoles squeek like teenage girls :p
Games like Demons Souls, Forza Horizon 5 or Ratchet, that are great lookers and dont run in crazy low res/can hold 60 are rare exceptions from S-tier devteams and even more respect to them, but cant expect all the devs to be as talented/have as much time/budget like those 3 examples, aka it wont be a rule.

Ofc the Matrix demo which beats everything in visuals(but runs at very low res and can dip below 20fps) is on another lvl to that so again- i expect that being celling which will never be reached on xsx/base ps5, maybe ps5pr0 can give us game looking like that but performing properly? :)

Last edited:

alloush

Didn’t you get perma’d for shitting on elden rings? Dude don’t shit on fromsoft games and if you do stick to this thread.

Oscam got himself perma’d too in that same thread. Lets hope he’s let back in.

I did not post in that Spider-Man story trailer thread. At some point, they start to consider it derailing and you get yourself banned. Same reason why i stayed away from tlou Part 1 OT. You guys have to be smart about this stuff.

Stay in this thread.
Wait, I thought GAF was more tolerant than other places like Era and Reddit and you only get perma’d for extreme shithousery. I didn’t know you could get perma’d for not liking a game or criticizing it. So OSCAM is gone now? So early, he was one of us:messenger_pensive:

Serious question, if you get perma’d is there a way you can reverse it and get back in?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Wait, I thought GAF was more tolerant than other places like Era and Reddit and you only get perma’d for extreme shithousery. I didn’t know you could get perma’d for not liking a game or criticizing it. So OSCAM is gone now? So early, he was one of us:messenger_pensive:

Serious question, if you get perma’d is there a way you can reverse it and get back in?
Ask represent lol he was allowed back. Several others were as well.

PeteBull

Much better, the difference in detail and polish is concerning...which says it all about this gen really considering ds was a launch title.
Think of demons souls this gen like infamous second son back in early ps4 gen, it launched early(in march 2014) but game was solid, top tier dev team could focus on single device- thats the purpose behind exclusives after all- so its visuals hold up tru whole gen and u probably didnt have many ps4 games looking batter from it, maybe 15-20 max durning whole console gen( for fairners compare ps4 to ps4, not ps4pr0).
I played it in march/april 2014 and game made waves, u could feel next gen fidelity, big budget and scope right away from it, here 50min of frametest from back then, at that time DF didnt do voiceovers yet and still game is a looker even now considering it runs and looks so well on 1,8tf gpu and that tablet jaguar cpu

Dunno if u gonna find many multiplatform games from that gen looking visibly better- rdr2 for sure, maybe some late cods singleplayer campaigns so heavily scripted and ofc ff15, but dunno what else really(ofc we had exclusives looking better later on but overall avg level of how games looked was often worse).

Last edited:

Edder1

I played it in march/april 2014 and game made waves, u could feel next gen fidelity, big budget and scope right away from it, here 50min of frametest from back then, at that time DF didnt do voiceovers yet and still game is a looker even now considering it runs and looks so well on 1,8tf gpu and that tablet jaguar cpu

Dunno if u gonna find many multiplatform games from that gen looking visibly better- rdr2 for sure, maybe some late cods singleplayer campaigns so heavily scripted and ofc ff15, but dunno what else really(ofc we had exclusives looking better later on but overall avg level of how games looked was often worse).

Infamous: Second Son is still one of the best looking open world games and it came out few months after PS4 launch. This is why it amazes me how easily impressed people are with "next gen" games when a potato PS4 could do those visuals and match almost any game released on new consoles today. People have been conditioned to accept mediocrity nowadays, just throw them half a bone with no meat on it and they'll waggle their tale and shamelessly praise you.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Think of demons souls this gen like infamous second son back in early ps4 gen, it launched early(in march 2014) but game was solid, top tier dev team could focus on single device- thats the purpose behind exclusives after all- so its visuals hold up tru whole gen and u probably didnt have many ps4 games looking batter from it, maybe 15-20 max durning whole console gen( for fairners compare ps4 to ps4, not ps4pr0).

Yeah second son was damn impressive for a launch title same as shadowfall but the difference is these games were surpassed within a year or two and handily by the best studios through the gen but this gen honestly I can't say convincingly there is anything that is decisively superior to demons souls as a next gen showcase and we are halfway through the gen, hell I can count on one finger the number of console games that even match it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

In other words this confirms it, any game, especially multiplat, that looks visibly better from last gen titles makes those current gen consoles squeek like teenage girls :p
Games like Demons Souls, Forza Horizon 5 or Ratchet, that are great lookers and dont run in crazy low res/can hold 60 are rare exceptions from S-tier devteams and even more respect to them, but cant expect all the devs to be as talented/have as much time/budget like those 3 examples, aka it wont be a rule.

Ofc the Matrix demo which beats everything in visuals(but runs at very low res and can dip below 20fps) is on another lvl to that so again- i expect that being celling which will never be reached on xsx/base ps5, maybe ps5pr0 can give us game looking like that but performing properly? :)
Thats why I always look at what these studios did last gen and use that as a basis to see if the game got a next gen boost or not. Every studio is talented, but they have their own engine limitations, their own graphics budgets, their own idea of graphics fidelity. Remanent 1 to 2 is a massive leap. FF7 to FF7-Rebirth, Star Wars Fallen Order to Jedi Survivor, TLOU2 to TLOU1 Remake, and Spiderman 1 to 2, not so much.

Seeing as how big of a leap Sucker Punch made going from Infamous 2 to Second Son, I am expecting a big upgrade from Ghost 2. Same goes for Rockstar's next game. RDR2 is still one of the best looking games ever made, but if they just phone in and make GTA on par with RDR2 then im gonna get myself banned like OCASM.

PeteBull

Thats why I always look at what these studios did last gen and use that as a basis to see if the game got a next gen boost or not. Every studio is talented, but they have their own engine limitations, their own graphics budgets, their own idea of graphics fidelity. Remanent 1 to 2 is a massive leap. FF7 to FF7-Rebirth, Star Wars Fallen Order to Jedi Survivor, TLOU2 to TLOU1 Remake, and Spiderman 1 to 2, not so much.

Seeing as how big of a leap Sucker Punch made going from Infamous 2 to Second Son, I am expecting a big upgrade from Ghost 2. Same goes for Rockstar's next game. RDR2 is still one of the best looking games ever made, but if they just phone in and make GTA on par with RDR2 then im gonna get myself banned like OCASM.
Agree with most of what u said, but lets wait for ff7rebirth to judge it, we didnt see much of gameplay till now but i liked what i saw.

About comparing gen to gen jumps, remember ps3 to ps4 was 256mb+256mb to full 8gigs of shared vram, but ps5 only doubled that to 16gigs(13,5giga for games?), gpu wise ps3 was 192gflops to 1,8tflops so 9x increase not counting archi improvements, ps4 to ps5 is barely 5,5x increase.

Cpu wise indeed we had decent jump coz jaguar tablet cpu in ps4 was pure joke, on some metrix even weaker from ps3's cell, as proven by ubisoft gdc presentiation in 2014, look at cpu comparision graph at the end of article http://www.redgamingtech.com/ubisoft-gdc-presentation-of-ps4-x1-gpu-cpu-performance/ , here ps5's heavily downclocked and downvolted is still at least 3x faster(hence 0 problem with many games having 60fps mode or at least 60fps target mode).

SlimySnake

Agree with most of what u said, but lets wait for ff7rebirth to judge it, we didnt see much of gameplay till now but i liked what i saw.

About comparing gen to gen jumps, remember ps3 to ps4 was 256mb+256mb to full 8gigs of shared vram, but ps5 only doubled that to 16gigs(13,5giga for games?), gpu wise ps3 was 192gflops to 1,8tflops so 9x increase not counting archi improvements, ps4 to ps5 is barely 5,5x increase.

Cpu wise indeed we had decent jump coz jaguar tablet cpu in ps4 was pure joke, on some metrix even weaker from ps3's cell, as proven by ubisoft gdc presentiation in 2014, look at cpu comparision graph at the end of article http://www.redgamingtech.com/ubisoft-gdc-presentation-of-ps4-x1-gpu-cpu-performance/ , here ps5's heavily downclocked and downvolted is still at least 3x faster(hence 0 problem with many games having 60fps mode or at least 60fps target mode).
Yeah, its 13.5 GB for XSX and 12.5 GB for the PS5. PS4 and X1 used 5GB for games, the rest of the OS. Basically a 2.5x jump in bandwidth which is probably a bottleneck none of us are thinking about.

DF did a CPU comparison using an AMD CPU comparing it to an older AMD GPU on par with jaguar CPUs in the consoles and found that it could be as big as a 7x leap in performance.

The GPU increase is only 5.5x yes, but we have seen from the Matrix that generational leaps are possible as long as devs dont waste it on native 4k rendering like HFW, DS and Ratchet do. The RT hardware in these consoles also make up for the small tflops increase. Both the Matrix and Avatar are using hardware RT to do realtime GI, shadows and reflections.

Add in the massive 100x boost in SSD speeds, support for primitive and mesh shaders, and I think this gen had the potential to do some amazing things despite the small vram and tflops upgrades. I legit believe its the biggest leap since PS2 to PS3, but no one seems to be utilizing any of the new features beyond faster loading, 60 fps modes and rt reflections in some rare cases.

I think the main reason why we havent seen a massive leap so far is that nearly every big name dev has phoned in the first half of the gen with cross gen games or fake next gen only games. Spiderman was supposed to save us but they just created a fake bullshot teaser and then went back to creating a last gen looking game. I have no idea wtf happened here. They were supposed to be our savior.

I wouldve been ok with these graphics:

spiderman-spiderman-ps5.gif
marvel-spider-man-spider-man.gif

de3f4a58fcb6ced2e0de4ab7f79ed5f537298f12.gif

ps3 was nonunified shader but the cell was also used for graphics and it too had like 200Gflop performance on top of the gpu performance. Also IIRC the ps4 uses amd, and AMD tends to offer less performance per tflops than nvidia, nvidia's h/w used on ps3. While the jump from ps4 to ps5 the rdna architecture increased performance per tflops compared to ps4.

And as others mentioned there is ray tracing acceleration, which likely makes ps5 far faster than ps4 at that aspect.

The Unreal engine nanite tech essentially makes ram needs obsolete, as only what is to be displayed on screen is streamed at the maximum detail the given resolution can display, and you can use infinite detail models with impunity without ram worries at console resolutions.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

what game is this?

Top Bottom