• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

It was running at 1440p internal resolution being upscaled using FSR2 according to DF. The tech director at Massive was pretty open about it using upscaling and asked DF to see if they can figure it out.

He replied to DF's analysis and said that RTGI and Reflections are always on.

He was also very open about using fallbacks when Alex started bitching about a missing reflection under the belly of an alien deer....

I dont know. These guys have been very open about their tech since the reveal far more than other devs. I know they have a bad history with downgrades in Division, but that was literally 10 years ago. 10 years ago, we wouldnt think insomniac, ND and GG would be the ones leading the downgrade train. I was pretty surprised to see them showing this game running on a PS5. That almost never happens with multiplatform games that arent exclusive. Even Starfield wasnt shown running on an XSX but on a PC with XSX equivalent specs.

From those developer quotes it would certainly seem like there's no chance RT gi does not make it in. I'm skeptical enough tho that i need the game to release before i believe it. Ive seen features that are promised magically disappear before. Maybe they realize at the last minute they just can't maintain a stable framerate and cut the feature to avoid a Cyberpunk situation .. Its happened before..just look at Forza Motorsport right now- what they showed recently isn't the game we were supposed to be gettin.

Just thinkin ...hows Avatar actually gonna feel at 30 fps on console? Im thrilled that RT gi is there but this isnt a Metro Exodus situation where through some wizardry + lots of low detail assets + upscaling they'll pull off 60 fps. Devs need to start including 60 fps modes with all the bells and whistles even if performance sucks, so that when Pro model consoles come out we can play these games the way they deserve to be played.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
So i finished R&C this week, and i played it in fidelity mode and liked it alot. And the graphics where a mixed bag tbh, like its going from holy shit to wtf is this shit. It was mostly good looking but i expected more after all the hype you guys where giving it at launch. Also the style of the game hides lots of it short comings. Im gonna break it down in good and bad. Im also gonna post some examples in a different post because other wise its gonna be too big for 1 post.

The good:
- The cutscenes are really like CGI sometimes, the camera work and animations are the best in its genre.
- The RT reflections are really good and they used them perfectly
- Even the character models outside Ratchet and Rivet are all high quality and detailed
- Most of the environments are fully packed with moving elements and stuff that makes everything dynamic
- Effects look really good and have lots of variation
- Lighting looks good on most levels
- The color choise of the worlds look really nice on my oled
- Most textures are really high quality
- The shaders are also pretty good

The bad:
- Some of the worlds look really bland and in the distance they look really bad
- There are lots of surfaces that are flat and lack depth or tessellation
- There are some really low quality textures and surfaces on some planets
- During gameplay the game gets less impressive. And after the landing with the ship you get those nice wide views where its framed perfect, but after you start taking controll than it starts to look a little meh.
- Some average AF, looks like 4x
- Water looks shit, now i know why the water in SM2 looks so average
- The bokeh in the distance during gameplay on some levels is some X360 type of bullshit

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
The good

Cutscenes
Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20230730194758.png

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20230730203901.png

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20230731210254.png

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20230731213417.png

Gameplay
Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20230729012835.png

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20230730033507.png

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20230730205725.png

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20230730042910.png

Y'all need to take the nostalgia shades off your face every once in a while to judge last gen visuals correctly. Infamous Second Son looks like a very good PS4 game. It does not compare to most cross gen games let alone look better than them lol.

The PS4 exclusive games like Shadow Fall, Second Son, Driveclub, The Order, Uncharted 4, Horizon, Spider-Man, GT Sport, Death Stranding and God of War really was the golden era of videogame visuals. If you put those games at 4k they're very close to PS5 exclusives. The leap from 720p/25fps on PS3 to full on 1080p/locked 30fps combined with PBR on PS4 aswell as Guerrilla Games, Insomniac, Polyphony, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog all hitting their visual peak was the perfect storm for videogame visuals!

Games still look great but they're not the same leap as the above imo and one of the reasons is they know they're building a game that in most cases has to have a 60fps mode which in turn leads to a less impressive looking 30fps mode because they have to make the base geometry, textures, character models, destruction calculations and lighting model scale with rendering resolution so they can just reduce that resolution to hit 60fps instead which is why we now have 1440p/30fps and 1080p/60fps games that push visuals a bit more before visual reconstruction tricks.

I don't mean this sarcastically but I think it will take PS6 to satisfy a lot of you in terms of a massive leap again and with it near parity to mid level movie CGI to the average consumer.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
From those developer quotes it would certainly seem like there's no chance RT gi does not make it in. I'm skeptical enough tho that i need the game to release before i believe it. Ive seen features that are promised magically disappear before. Maybe they realize at the last minute they just can't maintain a stable framerate and cut the feature to avoid a Cyberpunk situation .. Its happened before..just look at Forza Motorsport right now- what they showed recently isn't the game we were supposed to be gettin.

Just thinkin ...hows Avatar actually gonna feel at 30 fps on console? Im thrilled that RT gi is there but this isnt a Metro Exodus situation where through some wizardry + lots of low detail assets + upscaling they'll pull off 60 fps. Devs need to start including 60 fps modes with all the bells and whistles even if performance sucks, so that when Pro model consoles come out we can play these games the way they deserve to be played.
You bring up a good point about how it will feel as a 30 fps. I honestly dont know because they have avoided giving us an actual unedited gameplay footage. If we dont get something unedited at gamescom, either another downgrade is coming or this game is getting delayed.

So i finished R&C this week, and i played it in fidelity mode and liked it alot. And the graphics where a mixed bag tbh, like its going from holy shit to wtf is this shit. It was mostly good looking but i expected more after all the hype you guys where giving it at launch. Also the style of the game hides lots of it short comings. Im gonna break it down in good and bad. Im also gonna post some examples in a different post because other wise its gonna be too big for 1 post.

The good:
- The cutscenes are really like CGI sometimes, the camera work and animations are the best in its genre.
- The RT reflections are really good and they used them perfectly
- Even the character models outside Ratchet and Rivet are all high quality and detailed
- Most of the environments are fully packed with moving elements and stuff that makes everything dynamic
- Effects look really good and have lots of variation
- Lighting looks good on most levels
- The color choise of the worlds look really nice on my oled
- Most textures are really high quality
- The shaders are also pretty good

The bad:
- Some of the worlds look really bland and in the distance they look really bad
- There are lots of surfaces that are flat and lack depth or tessellation
- There are some really low quality textures and surfaces on some planets
- During gameplay the game gets less impressive. And after the landing with the ship you get those nice wide views where its framed perfect, but after you start taking controll than it starts to look a little meh.
- Some average AF, looks like 4x
- Water looks shit, now i know why the water in SM2 looks so average
- The bokeh in the distance during gameplay on some levels is some X360 type of bullshit
Yeah, thats why i called it a PS4.5 game. If its being beaten by HFW's in its open world levels then its clearly not pushing next gen tech. I think its a gorgeous looking game and that made people kind of lose perspective back when it came out.

On the PS5 you can run it at native 4k 40-50 fps in some levels. You cant tell me that they are fully utilizing the PS5 GPU to push visual fidelity, just more pixels and framerates. If you can compare it to something like uncharted 4 which also gets up to 40-50 fps in some levels in its native 4k mode, it becomes obvious that Insomniac just kinda made a next gen game using a last gen pixel budget.

Edder1

Man, I find it funny how @CheapDada and his clan keep making mockery of themselves by claiming Avatar looks underwhelming and at the same time saying it will be downgraded, lol. So it's way too impressive and therefore will be downgraded and the same time it's also extremely underwhelming...🤦 Stop clowning yourself people, put your bias aside and keep it real.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Man, I find it funny how @CheapDada and his clan keep making mockery of themselves by claiming Avatar looks underwhelming and at the same time saying it will be downgraded, lol. So it's way too impressive and therefore will be downgraded and the same time it's also extremely underwhelming...🤦 Stop clowning yourself people, put your bias aside and keep it real.
Few pages ago i explained my pov on that, tldr: reveal trailer, especially cinematic scenes, looked pre-rendered, but recent trailer, the first person view gameplay, looked perfectly probable/bland(far cry with Avatar skin), so the downgrade u talking about is from first, reveal trailer, not from the actual gameplay we saw recently https://www.neogaf.com/threads/graphical-fidelity-i-expect-this-gen.1623441/post-268249132

Last edited:

Edder1

Few pages ago i explained my pov on that, tldr: reveal trailer, especially cinematic scenes, looked pre-rendered, but recent trailer, the first person view gameplay, looked perfectly probable/bland(far cry with Avatar skin), so the downgrade u talking about is from first, reveal trailer, not from the actual gameplay we saw recently https://www.neogaf.com/threads/graphical-fidelity-i-expect-this-gen.1623441/post-268249132
Not at all. People pick the worst part from a trailer and claim how underwhelming a game is, but when someone else posts impressive parts from the same trailer they say the game will be downgraded. It's funny how these people don't even realise how they contradict themselves. These people are intellectually dishonest and it's pointless debating them.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Pure gameplay looks ¿ok?

Ht9i0wx.gif
This game looks very inconsistent. Some gameplay snippets look gorgeous, others look concerning. We need to see an uninterrupted gameplay sequence to have a better idea.
No words on the framerate of this game btw? No touching it if it's capped at 30fps.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

I would have loved to see something like this implemented in HFW/BS. SE is right, shadow flickering is highly distracting/annoying and yanks you out of immersion; HFW is a habitual offender.

I think it was mostly fine in H:FW. Except

Gaia.

The shadow-flickering on her head was so freakin bad. I noticed it anytime I talked to her. Extremely distracting.

Ohh and the water is awesome in H:FW. Much better than R&C.

Last edited:

PeteBull

If some1 got tons of spare time i recommend to listen to that interview, the interviewer is doofus and pretends to know shit while actualy doesnt, but his guest is a dev who already worked last 1,5year on UE5 and has tons of insight of how future games gonna look/run, engine wise.
Tldr, not "fake dev" like marketing person but actual programmer who understands his stuff with 1,5year of unreal engine 5 programming experience.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think thats an unfair assessment. Yes, there have been downgrades but there have been upgrades as well. I played origins after Horizon Zero Dawn thinking I will never be impressed by another open world again, but AC Origins proved me wrong. The game had some of the best uses of photogammtery ive seen last gen. Cities like Alexandria and Cyprus had fantastic greek and roman architecture. The game had an insane draw distance and some gorgeous day time lighting. Interiors weren't on par with AC Unity and character rendering was also downgraded but it does a lot of things better than AC Unity.

Odyssey was made by the B team that made Syndicate so im not surprised it didnt look special. Still, they are the only devs to do massive realtime battles with hundreds of people on screen.

Valhalla looks insane at times. The problem is only at times. Its city and villages look really bad, but again, i dont think it gets credit for its open world visuals. I've seen some insane screenshots posted for it back at launch. For some reason, despite shipping great looking titles all gen, ubisoft games are overlooked when others arent. People who play these ubisoft games shouldnt be too surprised at Avatar and Star Wars looking the way they do for next gen only games. Last gen AC and Division games can indeed look stunning. I think Far Cry is the only studio they have that phones in visuals. Even Mario vs Rabbids looked stunning on the switch and was the best looking game on that console until Luigi's Mansion and Zelda Links Awakening launched.

Draw distance seems to have come at the cost of that incredible GI bounce lighting in AC Unity, but these games still look exceptional.

wSU17qq.gif
UgQAsQ7.gif

AnotherMiniatureHorsemouse-size_restricted.gif
AF2EA2197A553CAC050FB7E77C612017079E9313

If you haven't id highly suggest picking up AC Origins and just checking out Alexandria. The architecture is magnificent and it overlooks the pyrmaids. Cyrpus is late game but Alexandria is early on in the game and must be experienced. Incredible visual fidelity.
I picked up Origins(for ps4 because f pc Ubisoft crap) just because it looks so good. Maybe I should get odyssey too?
That said, I've not played it yet. Last AC I played was black Flag and I hated it. My fav was 1 and brotherhood.

setoman

“Venom spinoff game may be in development at Marvel's Spider-Man studio”

Wow these people have mastered the art of development. All they have to do is hit that randomize button in Houdini, change a few building textures/models. Add a new main character and give them one or two more traversal and combat techniques and done. Everything else is exactly the same. Rinse and repeat. They're gonna bleed this to death.

Now i'm starting to think, why am I not developing my own superhero game? Is there a indie development thread?

Last edited:

Musilla

No one is looking forward to seeing what's new from Bend? Days Gone is an incredible achievement, if the studio makes the jump to Unreal 5 with levels of production made in Sony...
HtY74Nn.gif

Some time ago there were rumors that they were going to use DECIMA Engine, I think it would be nice if Sony had a triple A running on Unreal Engine 5

Last edited:

Xtib81

No one is looking forward to seeing what's new from Bend? Days Gone is an incredible achievement, if the studio makes the jump to Unreal 5 with levels of production made in Sony...
HtY74Nn.gif

Some time ago there were rumors that they were going to use DECIMA Engine, I think it would be nice if Sony had a triple A running on Unreal Engine 5
Low Key the best weather effects I've ever witnessed in a game. So, so atmospheric. I wish this game had a sequel but I'm not too hopeful about what they're cooking.

Last edited:

Edder1

If some1 got tons of spare time i recommend to listen to that interview, the interviewer is doofus and pretends to know shit while actualy doesnt, but his guest is a dev who already worked last 1,5year on UE5 and has tons of insight of how future games gonna look/run, engine wise.
Tldr, not "fake dev" like marketing person but actual programmer who understands his stuff with 1,5year of unreal engine 5 programming experience.

Yeah, I would warn people from taking Thomas (interviewer) seriously as he's someone who made ridiculously foolish claims in the past. Amongs them was his saying that PS5 and Series X would be able to run next gen games at 4K60 at High/Ultra settings, even though much more powerful PC hardware couldn't even get close to this. I could go on detailing other ridiculous claims of his, but this isn't a place for this. The guy clearly doesn't understand hardware and says outlandish things from time to time, but he does have some interesting guests who work within the industry and know software and hardware. Used to listen to his podcast often before, but lately haven't listened to his stuff in a while as Tom being a smartass kinda gets to me.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
HtY74Nn.gif

Days Gone runs incredibly well too. So sharp and smooth on PS5.

SlimySnake

HtY74Nn.gif

Studio was a small 80-100 person studio that has lost 90 devs over the last few years since the cancelled Days Gone 2 and Uncharted spinoff pitches.

Even if they manage to make the game, it will not be the same talent that made Days Gone.

hussar16

Screw 60fps.im tired of games looking like ps4 upscaled

SlimySnake

This whole thread is SlimySnake SlimySnake opinions verse everyone else's lol.
The first guy through the door always get bloodied.

I told you all way back in 2020 and 2021 that sony first party output wasnt looking good for these first three years. Caught so much flack for it. Got so much shit for saying GOW Ragnorak will look last gen because well, they made it cross gen. Told you all not to expect next gen graphics from insomniac just a few months ago. With Sony being our savior last gen, them phoning in the first half of this gen meant we are still jerking off to Days Gone in 2023.

Of course, I also criticize MS and third party devs but i dont get much pushback for those opinions. Everyone mostly agrees that FF16 can look PS3 at times and Forza 8 looks very underwhelming for a next gen only first party title.

My new prediction is that 2024 is going to be rough when it comes to visual fidelity. Star Wars Outlaws will get delayed to 2025 and there is nothing else other than hellblade 2 for the rest of the year. MS first party will take a break next year, and death stranding and wolverine will get delayed to 2025. And we will still be talking about TLOU2, RDR2 and worst of all, forspoken.

alloush

The first guy through the door always get bloodied.

I told you all way back in 2020 and 2021 that sony first party output wasnt looking good for these first three years. Caught so much flack for it. Got so much shit for saying GOW Ragnorak will look last gen because well, they made it cross gen. Told you all not to expect next gen graphics from insomniac just a few months ago. With Sony being our savior last gen, them phoning in the first half of this gen meant we are still jerking off to Days Gone in 2023.

Of course, I also criticize MS and third party devs but i dont get much pushback for those opinions. Everyone mostly agrees that FF16 can look PS3 at times and Forza 8 looks very underwhelming for a next gen only first party title.

My new prediction is that 2024 is going to be rough when it comes to visual fidelity. Star Wars Outlaws will get delayed to 2025 and there is nothing else other than hellblade 2 for the rest of the year. MS first party will take a break next year, and death stranding and wolverine will get delayed to 2025. And we will still be talking about TLOU2, RDR2 and worst of all, forspoken.
That last part with the subtle, yet not so subtle dig. I love it. Well played sir, well played!

The Rock Applause GIF

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Finally a proper DF deep dive on the Order 1886.

Stunning game. Probably the best looking game last gen. It's a shame Sony never released a Pro patch for it. BB, DriveClub and The Order not getting 60 fps or 4k patches just makes me angry. Especially seeing Bloodborne and RDR2 running at 60 fps on hacked PS5s in the last couple of days. Clearly the work needed to get these running at 60 fps is minimal at best.

Eqpy.gif

26XD3Lv.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif

HawarMiran

Banned
I like his posts. I don't always agree with them but it's good to hear different views instead of people blowing smoke up each others arse looking for the easy likes.
no he is a walking case of dunning-kruger. it is good to be critical. he is just a contrarian

H . R . 2

I’m pretty sure this guy visits Gaf. I think we made this game resurface again, resurrected the shit out of it.
I am one of the few people on Gaf who in the truest sense of the word, admires and respects this game. I think half my posts are related to The Order1886
Stunning game. Probably the best looking game last gen. It's a shame Sony never released a Pro patch for it. BB, DriveClub and The Order not getting 60 fps or 4k patches just makes me angry. Especially seeing Bloodborne and RDR2 running at 60 fps on hacked PS5s in the last couple of days. Clearly the work needed to get these running at 60 fps is minimal at best.

Eqpy.gif

26XD3Lv.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif
The Order 1886 has yet to be topped visually. it is not only a masterfully crafted cinematic experience but also the greatest technical marvel of last gen, by far.
it holds up and looks great even by today's standards because they investigated all aspects of cinematography to achieve authenticity and photorealism, namely, period-accurate lighting, lenses, lens dirt/flare/ realistic film grain/ animations, etc.

however, the criticism regarding its gameplay was valid

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Nah Rockstar are hacks, they are just taking the piss at this point:

I saw that. It's insane. Thats a 3000 dev company.

IIRC, the BB patch running on the hacked PS5s is from Lance McDonald who said it was a one line change just removing the 30 fps cap. Wouldnt be surprised if RDR2 is the same. Games like KZSF, GOW, and Until Dawn run flawlessly at 60 fps because they left the framerate unlocked. Games nowadays have BC built into hardware and should just run as long as the framerate is unlocked. Changing resolution to 4k should also just be a config file change.

It's crazy how little work is needed for this and yet multi billion publishers dont want to spend the few hundred QA hours needed to get these one line code changes out the door for older titles.

Top Bottom