• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

It's clearly in-game footage.
Laugh Lol GIF

It´s like 2 decades of devs faking anything and everything to keep PR hype going have taught people nothing......

That was also "clearly in-game footage"

Last edited:
Literally impossible to please.
bullshit generalisation.

It´s not the people in this thread that are weird, this gen is. How long the crossover period has been going and how little actual improvements have been made 3 years into this gen is unprecedented.
Add the incredible promises UE5 made right at the start + a few trailers that turned out to be bullshit, as usual, and you have the perfect recipe for disappointment.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
bullshit generalisation.

It´s not the people in this thread that are weird, this gen is. How long the crossover period has been going and how little actual improvements have been made 3 years into this gen is unprecedented.
Add the incredible promises UE5 made right at the start + a few trailers that turned out to be bullshit, as usual, and you have the perfect recipe for disappointment.
We are all disappointed, but now that we are getting actual next gen games, albeit in trailer form, its kinda weird to downplay them or chastize others for being excited for them.

I understand the skepticism. Ive been burned before too, but in a thread where we discuss graphics, dismissing everything yet to be released is going to make it almost impossible to discuss anything.

Ya'll are so weird in this thread.

If it doesn't look good enough, "iT LoOkS LaSt GeN!".

If it looks too good, "iT'S pR hYpE!".

Literally impossible to please.
Right. I was shocked to see people dismiss nearly ten minutes of Avatar footage shown running on PS5 just because its Ubisoft. In the main E3 thread for Avatar, people dismissed the entire preview as cutscenes pre-rendered stuff so I went ahead and cut like ten gifs showing actual gameplay. Then they began to call for downgrades. Even though Starfield and Forza were shown running on PC with Xbox equivalent specs while Avatar was running on PS5. But people believe those because they dont look next gen enough to them.

Then turn around and dismiss the Fable trailer which WAS running on Xbox Series X as something running on PC. Now I am seeing the same people claim we have not seen any gameplay footage from Hellblade even though they showed a 7 minute gameplay demo at the VGAs almost 2 years ago. Not to mention the fact that it already got its downgrade from its original reveal in 2019. Just like Spiderman, just like Avatar and Starfield and Forza, and it still looks next gen after the downgrade.

Fable will get the downgrade but it will still look next gen because it looks a generation ahead of their Forza game. Just like how Avatar looks a gen ahead of Division 2 and Starfield looks a generation ahead of Fallout 76. We simply cannot say the same thing about Spiderman 2 but it doesnt mean Spiderman will be the norm for next gen games going forward. It's the exception. We should be focusing on Insmomniac's inability to give it a generational leap, not shitting on the devs who are actually trying and succeeding.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
The latest Forza Motorsport trailer shows a clear next gen leap with full resolution RT reflections and RTGi. And the level of detail on the track is clearly generational ahead compared to other sim racers, the trees, foliage and overall detail is way higher than last gen racing sims. Its probably the pc version maxed out since they are stating that the pc version will get extra love. They will even have a seperate live stream for pc specific features. Can't wait to see more at Gamescom and Forza monthly next month.

SlimySnake

I think its got most to do with both conpanies shift to console and PC focus. That's caused massive damage to console gamers this gen as now these consoles are just another "PC" that their studios havr to account for.
I think its unfair to blame PC gaming because several third party studios that developed on PC have managed to make next gen only games despite their PC focus.

I think the main issue was the last gen focus. Having their best studios tied to last gen consoles until 2022 did more damage than hiring PC porting houses to port some games to PC. These studios shot themselves in the foot.

Spiderman 2 is just Insomniac being insomniac. Sony shouldve picked another studio to do next gen only games. Insomniac was never going to push boundries and set the bar. Thats GG, SSM and ND. Had HFW or Ragnorak been designed from the ground up on PS5, they wouldve looked like Fable and Hellblade. Both games coming to PC on day one.

I was looking at some of the developer backlash for Baldurs Gate 3 the other day. A lot of devs were upset that it was going to set a new standard for games and insomniac devs were one of them. Essentially complaining that Larian is turning into Rockstar with how much depth and detail they have put into the game setting unrealistic expectations for other studios. Only problem is Larian is just 400 devs on par with GG and ND and fewer than Insmoniac which is around 500 devs. It seems like Larian spent the last 5-6 years making one game and making it the new standard for RPGs while Insmoniac jerked around making Spiderman DLC, an underwhelming Ratchet game no one wanted, and when it came time to work on the PS5 only sequel, they left themselves just 2.5 years to make it. Then to make matters worse they split into two teams and started making wolverine on the side.

I also found it funny that devs from Blizzard, Bioware and Ubisoft were complaining about choices and diverging storylines in an RPG while wasting years creating copy paste ubisoft quests in their open world games. Horizon took almost as long as BG3, and didnt reinvent anything other than adding more question marks on the map filling it with fluff instead. Now they are complaining BG3 makes them look bad.

mrqs

I think it's fair to say that Microsoft is leading next-gen graphics promises for this generation.

I hope that Sony blows everything out of the water with their rumored event at the end of the year. By December 2016, equivalent to December 2023 in this generation, we had that TLOU 2 reveal that was insane, and the game pretty much reached that level.

Luipadre

Stunning game. Probably the best looking game last gen. It's a shame Sony never released a Pro patch for it. BB, DriveClub and The Order not getting 60 fps or 4k patches just makes me angry. Especially seeing Bloodborne and RDR2 running at 60 fps on hacked PS5s in the last couple of days. Clearly the work needed to get these running at 60 fps is minimal at best.

Eqpy.gif

26XD3Lv.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif

I will forever be salty and mad about this franchise not getting another chance with a different sony studio. I really liked this game and i replay it almost every year.

I think it's fair to say that Microsoft is leading next-gen graphics promises for this generation.

I hope that Sony blows everything out of the water with their rumored event at the end of the year. By December 2016, equivalent to December 2023 in this generation, we had that TLOU 2 reveal that was insane, and the game pretty much reached that level.
uh? Microsoft is leading the next gen graphics? what does Microsoft have that's already out that beats Sony? have you seen Rachet and Clank or Demon souls or Rt Spider-Man or even TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima on ps5 beats everything Microsoft has ,that's already out.

I'm not fanboy as I own them all (a fanboy for Nintendo if anyone) but I'd argue that outside of Forza, MS have yet to catch up to the big 5 Sony studios on PS4 nevermind Sony's PS5 exclusive games like and Demon's Souls, Rift Apart, Returnal and Spider-Man 2...

Starfield will obviously change that then they have Hellblade II and Fable etc which I'm sure will impress.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I don't understand why everything looks pretty clear and high res, but then there's this suit and Venom that looks awful and low res.

This have the "we just discovered bump and normal map" feeling typical of old games like FEAR or Chronicles of Riddick, that was great back then, but is so outdated now.
100% you can straight up see macro-blocking on th suit for christ sake. Shits release title 360 era quality at best. It makes no sense why.

M1987

There is nothing they have released so far this gen that comes close to last gens TLOU,nevermind this gen with God of War,HFW,Spiderman 2 etc

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'll be off the grid for a couple months or so as I'm starting my own practice and picking up new work. I'm a bit nervous (positively so) but ready to buckle down.

Funny enough, the final fall deadline before things return to normal in my line of work is 5 days prior to SM2 release so should be an awesome time when I log back in. Until then, be well fellas.

mrqs

There is nothing they have released so far this gen that comes close to last gens TLOU,nevermind this gen with God of War,HFW,Spiderman 2 etc

That's why I said promise. Sure, Ratched looks good, but Hellblade 2 and Fable actually have a next-gen feel to them.

SlimySnake

I'm not fanboy as I own them all (a fanboy for Nintendo if anyone) but I'd argue that outside of Forza, MS have yet to catch up to the big 5 Sony studios on PS4 nevermind Sony's PS5 exclusive games like and Demon's Souls, Rift Apart, Returnal and Spider-Man 2...

Starfield will obviously change that then they have Hellblade II and Fable etc which I'm sure will impress.
They havent caught up to Sony. Not even close.

But this statement below might not be entirely incorrect by the time hellblade 2 launches next year after Forza and Starfield. Fable just looks in a league of its own. its a shame MS showed it off in a quick cut trailer instead of showing a demo. If we look at what Sony came up with at this E3... an underwhelming SPiderman 2 demo vs MS which brought Starfield, Fable, Hellblade 2 and Forza, it is fair to say that MS is currently leading the charge. Things might change next E3 when Sony studios finally show up to the next gen party.

Last edited:

alloush

I'll be off the grid for a couple months or so as I'm starting my own practice and picking up new work. I'm a bit nervous (positively so) but ready to buckle down.

Funny enough, the final fall deadline before things return to normal in my line of work is 5 days prior to SM2 release so should be an awesome time when I log back in. Until then, be well fellas.
Your memes and GIFs are gonna be missed. Good luck in your next move my man!

All the best mate. Let us know how it all goes!

Lethal01

And then there was peace.

They havent caught up to Sony. Not even close.

But this statement below might not be entirely incorrect by the time hellblade 2 launches next year after Forza and Starfield. Fable just looks in a league of its own. its a shame MS showed it off in a quick cut trailer instead of showing a demo. If we look at what Sony came up with at this E3... an underwhelming SPiderman 2 demo vs MS which brought Starfield, Fable, Hellblade 2 and Forza, it is fair to say that MS is currently leading the charge. Things might change next E3 when Sony studios finally show up to the next gen party.
I wont believe anything ,until we see actual gameplay of Hellblade 2 or Fable.

Robbinhood

Banned
MS is not leading anything. Starfield looks promising from scope but technically its foggy, average textures and awful humans.

Fable showed 0.2 seconds of footage and no release date, not even worth mentioning. Forza looks good but like 8/10 good not 10/10.

Hellblade is nice graphically, the game is going to blow hard though.

Last edited:
Agreed lol.

This looks roughly on par with GT Sports which to me was the best looking racing game ever made. But i expected more from PD in 2022.
Have you played GT7 on PS5? Man it's absurd lol. The way the light reflects on windows is so realistic. The trees look so damn good (finally) when you're close. The car models look insanely detailed.

That's not to say there's no room for improvement. Sound is still an issue IMO. And as I said trees look great when close but the LOD when they're far still kinda sucks

rsouzadk

Stunning game. Probably the best looking game last gen. It's a shame Sony never released a Pro patch for it. BB, DriveClub and The Order not getting 60 fps or 4k patches just makes me angry. Especially seeing Bloodborne and RDR2 running at 60 fps on hacked PS5s in the last couple of days. Clearly the work needed to get these running at 60 fps is minimal at best.

Eqpy.gif

26XD3Lv.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif
For me, till this day, this is one of the best looking games of all time.

Turk1993

Have you played GT7 on PS5? Man it's absurd lol. The way the light reflects on windows is so realistic. The trees look so damn good (finally) when you're close. The car models look insanely detailed.

That's not to say there's no room for improvement. Sound is still an issue IMO. And as I said trees look great when close but the LOD when they're far still kinda sucks
I agree about the lighting and the cockpit view, it looks really good especially in HDR. Going tru the tunnels with all the light rays hitting the carbon fiber dash with the motion blur is just chef kiss. But the trees are still horrible on most tracks and the car lod still is on the lower side. If they released it on pc or update it on PS5Pro they really need to update things like the car lod, trees, draw distance and reflections (basically photomode quality). Also they need to patch up most of the tracks, the new ones look good but the old one's are really showing it age. There are some PS3 quality tracks side details on the older tracks. But when everything hits it hits really really good. The shaders in the cockpit are still the best in the industry, PD never fails in lighting and shaders.
Gran-Turismo-7-20220312164240.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220312163251.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220313005714.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20230207175905.png

SlimySnake

Nah. Skipped it along with tlou last year because i can’t sanction this cross Gen buffoonery. I got talked into buying tlou on pc and was thoroughly disappointed. I knew i should’ve stuck to my guns. I know games look better on a big oled at native res but these games just scream last Gen to me. The lighting and trackside detail is just lacking.

I want interiors to look like this:

Nah, just look at any GT intro from last gen. They look vastly better than what those GTs were able to do during gameplay.

Until i get interiors like this from Forza and GT, im not going to worry about diminishing returns.

bkEqHFw.gif

Turk1993

Nah. Skipped it along with tlou last year because i can’t sanction this cross Gen buffoonery. I got talked into buying tlou on pc and was thoroughly disappointed. I knew i should’ve stuck to my guns. I know games look better on a big oled at native res but these games just scream last Gen to me. The lighting and trackside detail is just lacking.

I want interiors to look like this:
If the Pro console really has the RT capabilities that they are speculating why not. Its the perfect game to showcase the difference since the game already runs native 4k60 on PS5. Enhance the car models, enhance the trees, activate RT during gameplay and fix the draw distance and lod pop in and the game would look much much better.

Robbinhood

Banned
I think its unfair to blame PC gaming because several third party studios that developed on PC have managed to make next gen only games despite their PC focus.

I think the main issue was the last gen focus. Having their best studios tied to last gen consoles until 2022 did more damage than hiring PC porting houses to port some games to PC. These studios shot themselves in the foot.

Spiderman 2 is just Insomniac being insomniac. Sony shouldve picked another studio to do next gen only games. Insomniac was never going to push boundries and set the bar. Thats GG, SSM and ND. Had HFW or Ragnorak been designed from the ground up on PS5, they wouldve looked like Fable and Hellblade. Both games coming to PC on day one.

I was looking at some of the developer backlash for Baldurs Gate 3 the other day. A lot of devs were upset that it was going to set a new standard for games and insomniac devs were one of them. Essentially complaining that Larian is turning into Rockstar with how much depth and detail they have put into the game setting unrealistic expectations for other studios. Only problem is Larian is just 400 devs on par with GG and ND and fewer than Insmoniac which is around 500 devs. It seems like Larian spent the last 5-6 years making one game and making it the new standard for RPGs while Insmoniac jerked around making Spiderman DLC, an underwhelming Ratchet game no one wanted, and when it came time to work on the PS5 only sequel, they left themselves just 2.5 years to make it. Then to make matters worse they split into two teams and started making wolverine on the side.

I also found it funny that devs from Blizzard, Bioware and Ubisoft were complaining about choices and diverging storylines in an RPG while wasting years creating copy paste ubisoft quests in their open world games. Horizon took almost as long as BG3, and didnt reinvent anything other than adding more question marks on the map filling it with fluff instead. Now they are complaining BG3 makes them look bad.
You’re also being unfair to insomniac. They released a top 3 game graphically this gen with Ratchet, that’s enough to lay off with the hard criticisms. They also ushered in 40fps on consoles while other devs were twiddling their dicks. A complete game changer.

And on top they did full ray tracing 4k 40 and 60fps options. Lastly they are actually releasing games, so many devs are mia. And sp2 still looks great graphically, i bet you when you’re playing, on top of a big skyscraper you’ll be taking lots of pics in awe. My biggest gripe is that they can make it more wow factor with things like high winds when on top of a tall building or when falling make it more intense. With the ability to get squashed if you don’t pull up in time.

Last edited:
You’re also being unfair to insomniac. They released a top 3 game graphically this gen with Ratchet, that’s enough to lay off with the hard criticisms. They also ushered in 40fps on consoles while other devs were twiddling their dicks. A complete game changer.

And on top they did full ray tracing 4k 40 and 60fps options. Lastly they are actually releasing games, so many devs are mia. And sp2 still looks great graphically, i bet you when you’re playing, on top of a big skyscraper you’ll be taking lots of pics in awe. My biggest gripe is that they can make it more wow factor with things like high winds when on top of a tall building or when falling make it more intense. With the ability to get squashed if you don’t pull up in time.

We don't owe them anything especially when we've seen the gameplay already and have a very good idea of how it looks. Despite what that gaslighter/Sony fanboy Chiefdada says, the game will not improve 'that' much in 5 months to be in line with what we were lead to believe from the reveal trailer. That leads to another knock against Insomniac which is their propensity towards dishonesty.

I commend them for Ratchet which I still think is the best we've seen all gen from any console game. MM/Spiderman remastered were solid cross gen releases 2.5 years ago. With Spiderman 2 though they've taken a step backwards. It is what it is just like we've seen from other Sony games throughout this gen, the M.O. is to these titanic devs are underdelivering compared to how they operated in the past. See, they still "look good" by industry standards, but compared to Sony during the PS2, PS3, and PS4 eras they are not meeting the next gen standard anymore.

Doesn't matter that gt7 or god of war ragnarok were Cross Gen. That's on Sony- those games did not deliver for those who bought a new console. We've seen this from Naughty Dog BIG TIME with LoU Part 1. That game showed that even if a game is only for PS5, doesnt mean it's not wholly a cross gen game. We saw how easilt Naughty Dog could be dishonest in their marketing of it.

Ratchet delivered for me a true next gen game. Thats even MORE reason that we shouldn't just give Insomniac the old "benefit of the doubt". That attitude is truly the reason we keep getting games that are just a tiny bit better than the previous game. Spiderman 2 reminds me so much of the lead up to Gow Ragnarok. Its about the same level of improvement. Similar discourse too where people want to believe it'll be the way we hope it would based on their reputation.

Then game comes out and people will convince themselves its a next gen game because, as I said, the game will still look "good". In reality its shaping up to be just a small upgrade over MM which is lame as hell.

SlimySnake

You can look up my posting history. Ive given them major props over the years. especially for embracing 40 fps and their RT implementation in spiderman miles.

I consistently rated Ratchet as one of the top 3 any time people posted lists on gaf. I just always knew that they didnt push the PS5 hard enough and the PC release kinda proved that with the 1.7 tflops steamdeck running it at medium settings.

You can also look at the thread I created back when the first teaser came out and i posted comparisons of it and the spiderman miles CG commercial. I was full of praise.

But this simply isnt good enough. I can excuse GT7 and GOW Ragnorak because they were last gen, but insomniac has no excuse for such a small upgrade. It's like they didnt even try.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

If the Pro console really has the RT capabilities that they are speculating why not. Its the perfect game to showcase the difference since the game already runs native 4k60 on PS5. Enhance the car models, enhance the trees, activate RT during gameplay and fix the draw distance and lod pop in and the game would look much much better.

Well, the PS5 has way better RT capabilities than the PS4 and yet they couldnt even get RT reflections working ingame. I wouldnt hold my breath on them doing something unique for the PS4 Pro. Seeing as how Forza isnt doing RTGI on track, its possible that their mid gen refresh might indeed do RTGI+RT Reflections ingame, but PD is just different. They had the oppurtunity to really push the PS5 similar to how GG did with HFW, but they didnt take it. Wish they couldve just bothered the weather tech from DriveClub just for the PS5 version but really doubt PD cares about any of this stuff tbh.

It looks amazing but it can look even more amazing thats what im tryna say 🙂. I called it the best looking racing sim on console so im not downplaying it.
Yeah, it can look way better because when they unlocked the framerate in the vrr patch it was hitting almost a 100 fps at native 4k. they have a lot of headroom left for way better visuals.

How comes the trees look so much better on this track? Why didnt they bother replacing all the 2d trees in other levels?

Gran-Turismo-7-20230207175905.png

H . R . 2

My goodness. Im only 2 minutes in and its been just one amazing looking location after another. I forgot how good this game looked in every single area of the game.
I NEVER grew tired of the game because of that exact reason.
The world is so wonderfully and cinematically realised that you don't even want to blink

I have finished that game 5 times and it has been one of the top 5 gaming purchases I have ever made [ and it was an expensive limited edition]
for a graphics enthusiast like me, this game was a sublime wet dream

hussar16

My goodness. Im only 2 minutes in and its been just one amazing looking location after another. I forgot how good this game looked in every single area of the game.
It took me 10 hours to beat probably because I was wondering around walking... more them intended time.Truly a great walking game. Don't care what people say wish there was more of it. Also one area should have ben a hub where you pick your missions out etc.you could tell they were going for it maybe in the next game

Top Bottom