• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am one of the few people on Gaf who in the truest sense of the word, admires and respects this game. I think half my posts are related to The Order1886

The Order 1886 has yet to be topped visually. it is not only a masterfully crafted cinematic experience but also the greatest technical marvel of last gen, by far.
it holds up and looks great even by today's standards because they investigated all aspects of cinematography to achieve authenticity and photorealism, namely, period-accurate lighting, lenses, lens dirt/flare/ realistic film grain/ animations, etc.

however, the criticism regarding its gameplay was valid
I would love to replay this game but unskippable cutscenes and entire chapters featuring just walking from one place to another just broke me.

Combat actually wasnt bad like Ryse's combat, but man it is rare to get into combat encounters in this game.

alloush

I saw that. It's insane. Thats a 3000 dev company.

IIRC, the BB patch running on the hacked PS5s is from Lance McDonald who said it was a one line change just removing the 30 fps cap. Wouldnt be surprised if RDR2 is the same. Games like KZSF, GOW, and Until Dawn run flawlessly at 60 fps because they left the framerate unlocked. Games nowadays have BC built into hardware and should just run as long as the framerate is unlocked. Changing resolution to 4k should also just be a config file change.

It's crazy how little work is needed for this and yet multi billion publishers dont want to spend the few hundred QA hours needed to get these one line code changes out the door for older titles.
$50 for a 13 year old game ported to the PS4. They are making a mockery of the entire industry and of gamers. I swear I feel insulted, they are just taking the piss.

Everybody was anxiously waiting for this game to be remastered on the PS5 not even remade, a remaster woulda sufficed then they come up with this crap. I used to love Rockstar so much, they truly cared about gamers, created well thought-out masterpieces among other things but now they just take the piss.

And no one can convince me that the reason for no remaster is cuz they are heads down busy crunching shit to create the best GTA game ever existed. This is a multi billion dollar game publisher for God’s sake.

Please deliver us next-gen goodness 4A Games.

I’d keep an eye out if I were you guys.

Basically these guys are going for RTGI, maybe even pathtracing. If they can get their character rendering and animation cutting edge then it could be incredible.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
In the Star Wars Coming to PS4 segment of their DF direct, DF was speculating about what other next gen only games could be ported to last gen consoles. They said Ratchet is probably a no go. They also brought up Flight Sim which is another CPU bound game.

That got me thinking, of the few next gen games released so far, what do we think is impossible on last gen consoles. I agree with Ratchet because even though HDDs can run it and the PS4 equivalent GPU in steamdeck seems to be able to handle the graphics with some upscaling, their seems to be a big CPU requirement for the loading portal sections. Especially when running it on an HDD. Gotham Knights could probably be ported without coop requirements.

FF16 is an interesting one. They drop to 720p just to hit 60 fps during combat encounters. They drop to 1080p to maintain 30 fps at times in fidelity mode. PS5 has 5x more tflops and roughly 7x more powerful gpu. This thing might need to drop at 480p to run at 30 fps. A little more if they turn off RT shadows which they were rumored to be using. I dont see anything ssd wise that could be holding it back.

Dead Space has a little more headroom, it targets 1080p 60 fps though drops to 960p at times.

Star Wars requires SSD on PC. Has huge levels. Runs like shit in koboh where its severely CPU bound. Game runs fine on a series s at 900p without RT so with RT off they might get it to run at around 640p-720p on base ps4 after lowering some settings.

That leaves Starfield and Spiderman, both of which were dropping to 1296p in their demos. But starfield might be more CPU bound. Spiderman can also turn off RT reflections which should give them a big boost, but the faster flying speeds might make it pretty much impossible on PS4. We saw the game freeze up on PS4 when you could glitch the faster flying speeds.

Demon Souls should definitely be possible on PS4 at reduced settings at 30 fps. 900p minimum. Returnal seems to be broken on Steamdeck so might not be possible on PS4 but in terms of visuals i dont see why not. Maybe their engine doesnt scale well with last gen GPUs.

hussar16

Stunning game. Probably the best looking game last gen. It's a shame Sony never released a Pro patch for it. BB, DriveClub and The Order not getting 60 fps or 4k patches just makes me angry. Especially seeing Bloodborne and RDR2 running at 60 fps on hacked PS5s in the last couple of days. Clearly the work needed to get these running at 60 fps is minimal at best.

Eqpy.gif

26XD3Lv.gif

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif
I don't understand sony sometimes. Just because a game first attempt doesn't do well doesn't mean to quit for sequal . This would have ben a huge title in its sequal if it was improved. I get sony wants to only make guaranteed money but since it also needs a good catalog of games for its streaming and subscriptions it should make more games like this and not quit so soon.theyv done it with so many titles

alloush

In the Star Wars Coming to PS4 segment of their DF direct, DF was speculating about what other next gen only games could be ported to last gen consoles. They said Ratchet is probably a no go. They also brought up Flight Sim which is another CPU bound game.

That got me thinking, of the few next gen games released so far, what do we think is impossible on last gen consoles. I agree with Ratchet because even though HDDs can run it and the PS4 equivalent GPU in steamdeck seems to be able to handle the graphics with some upscaling, their seems to be a big CPU requirement for the loading portal sections. Especially when running it on an HDD. Gotham Knights could probably be ported without coop requirements.

FF16 is an interesting one. They drop to 720p just to hit 60 fps during combat encounters. They drop to 1080p to maintain 30 fps at times in fidelity mode. PS5 has 5x more tflops and roughly 7x more powerful gpu. This thing might need to drop at 480p to run at 30 fps. A little more if they turn off RT shadows which they were rumored to be using. I dont see anything ssd wise that could be holding it back.

Dead Space has a little more headroom, it targets 1080p 60 fps though drops to 960p at times.

Star Wars requires SSD on PC. Has huge levels. Runs like shit in koboh where its severely CPU bound. Game runs fine on a series s at 900p without RT so with RT off they might get it to run at around 640p-720p on base ps4 after lowering some settings.

That leaves Starfield and Spiderman, both of which were dropping to 1296p in their demos. But starfield might be more CPU bound. Spiderman can also turn off RT reflections which should give them a big boost, but the faster flying speeds might make it pretty much impossible on PS4. We saw the game freeze up on PS4 when you could glitch the faster flying speeds.

Demon Souls should definitely be possible on PS4 at reduced settings at 30 fps. 900p minimum. Returnal seems to be broken on Steamdeck so might not be possible on PS4 but in terms of visuals i dont see why not. Maybe their engine doesnt scale well with last gen GPUs.

What about The Matrix demo?

HbfvLBg.gif

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Stunning game. Probably the best looking game last gen. It's a shame Sony never released a Pro patch for it. BB, DriveClub and The Order not getting 60 fps or 4k patches just makes me angry. Especially seeing Bloodborne and RDR2 running at 60 fps on hacked PS5s in the last couple of days. Clearly the work needed to get these running at 60 fps is minimal at best.

Eqpy.gif

26XD3Lv.gif

This game has the most cinematic post processing and color grading out of any game. They really understood how to make it look cinematic all the time even in game which is still rare.

No one is looking forward to seeing what's new from Bend? Days Gone is an incredible achievement, if the studio makes the jump to Unreal 5 with levels of production made in Sony...
HtY74Nn.gif

Some time ago there were rumors that they were going to use DECIMA Engine, I think it would be nice if Sony had a triple A running on Unreal Engine 5
Days Gone is impressive as hell. The environments are A+

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
they nailed the graphics for sure. sad that it was ripped apart by critics. could have been a great franchise
Games like Order, Ryse and Driveclub really needed a second chance. Just for there graphical achievement alone would i play there next game. They also had lots of potential to be great with some adjustments and improvemnts.

Eqpy.gif

26XD3Lv.gif

I’ve been saying it. 😊

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/some...e-looked-like-last-gen.1618147/post-264828879

Last edited:
You knew immediately with the order and that batch of PS4 exclusives that pushed visuals to its limits that it could never run on PS3.

Something sorely missing from this gen
Naturally that was going to happen the closer we got to CGI quality graphics using the same engines especially with Sony exclusives because they're one of the few that pushed tech the hardest in the industry it's time for a new graphics rendering pipeline I'm not sure how much the geometry engine is being used but we definitely haven't heard devs talk about primitive shaders in a while that's when we'll really start to see some crazy stuff yeah regardless how much i love them Sony's big studio's have not lived up to their own standards this generation maybe they knew about the Pro early on and wanted to really put their best foot forward 🤷‍♂️

Naturally that was going to happen the closer we got to CGI quality graphics using the same engines especially with Sony exclusives because they're one of the few that pushed tech the hardest in the industry it's time for a new graphics rendering pipeline I'm not sure how much the geometry engine is being used but we definitely haven't heard devs talk about primitive shaders in a while that's when we'll really start to see some crazy stuff yeah regardless how much i love them Sony's big studio's have not lived up to their own standards this generation maybe they knew about the Pro early on and wanted to really put their best foot forward 🤷‍♂️
I feel like these current engines aren’t pushing nanite like geometry levels…these engines still do rasterization the old way. I heard Ratchet PS5 is pushing alot more geometry than a PS4 game could do, but still isn’t pushing CGI film or UE5 levels of geometry and that’s what needed (along with a GI system) to get CGI level visuals (The Matrix Awakens demo).

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Notice how Peter's character rendering is in a much more advanced state compared to Miles in this scene; Pete's got SSS applied (look at the ears) and his hair rendering is in another league. It's even much better than what we saw in Miles Morales. Compare to Miles whose lack of SSS makes him look soft textured and his hair is undoubtedly WIP. Miles actually had the best hair rendering in the last game. Like I said game is still in development but Insomniac's finished product will be the new visual standard to beat.

H4wt9cU.jpg

mrqs

I'm telling you guys you aren't ready for the visual fidelity SM2 has to offer. It'll be the best looking game of the year. Traversal will look and feel next-gen.

45BpSyE.jpg

Of course it'll look better, but it's clearly a old-gen game with the next-gen fluff. I still can't believe the face rendering, skin looks so unimpressive!

True next-gen games from ND, Santa Monica etc will blow this out of the water. Even Fable looks more promising in the graphical department.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Of course it'll look better, but it's clearly a old-gen game with the next-gen fluff.

What does this even mean?

I still can't believe the face rendering, skin looks so unimpressive!

Compare to Miles whose lack of SSS makes him look soft textured and his hair is undoubtedly WIP. Miles actually had the best hair rendering in the last game. Like I said game is still in development

True next-gen games from ND, Santa Monica etc will blow this out of the water. Even Fable looks more promising in the graphical department.

You mean the "in-engine" Fable trailer that was running on a PC???

emma watson lol GIF

People are really going to appreciate these rt reflections cast on the water as they walk along the pier and see them remain stable even when the structures aren't on screen. Not even UE5 demo did this.

pbk95DX.jpg

That's actually something that will be a big improvement and have a real affect on the visuals ...still not enough to make this game in line with my expectations but it'll be nice to not have immersion broken when looking out over water.

$50 for a 13 year old game ported to the PS4. They are making a mockery of the entire industry and of gamers. I swear I feel insulted, they are just taking the piss.

Everybody was anxiously waiting for this game to be remastered on the PS5 not even remade, a remaster woulda sufficed then they come up with this crap. I used to love Rockstar so much, they truly cared about gamers, created well thought-out masterpieces among other things but now they just take the piss.

And no one can convince me that the reason for no remaster is cuz they are heads down busy crunching shit to create the best GTA game ever existed. This is a multi billion dollar game publisher for God’s sake.

This. It's so disgusting how they're treating us. Will this even be 60 fps! The fact that they never patched RDR2 for 60 fps is proof of how little they actually care. Disgusting!

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I know it's hard to believe some games can look so good in comparison that they must be bullshots or running on PC, but at least get your sources right.

You mean like how you judged the Spider-Man 2 reveal trailer that was running on PS5?

I remember making a thread to praise how close they came to that Miles CG trailer because someone on twitter made the comparison and the Insmoniac VFX Manager retweeted it knowing full well they were not going to come close to those visuals for the final game. knowing full well it was a bullshot teaser.

Shocked Nate Burleson GIF by DraftKings

The Fable trailer is pure Microsoft BS. Get back to me when Fable has a release year.

I don't understand sony sometimes. Just because a game first attempt doesn't do well doesn't mean to quit for sequal . This would have ben a huge title in its sequal if it was improved. I get sony wants to only make guaranteed money but since it also needs a good catalog of games for its streaming and subscriptions it should make more games like this and not quit so soon.theyv done it with so many titles

Ive been saying this for ages. These companies with their lack of offering simple 60 fps updates and general poor treatment for BC is disgusting!

Microsoft hasnt patched some of their only Xbox One exclusives for crying out loud, and they are somehow considered "great" with BC support! Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 3, Dead Rising 3, Quantum Break- none of em even have 60 fps and most are 730p-900p!

It makes me furious

It makes no sense. Sony built the PS5 precisely TO be able to have a new paradigm for rendering games and they havnt followed through. Just the same with Microsoft which also has a fast i/o and all the new rdna 2 features.

I think its got most to do with both conpanies shift to console and PC focus. That's caused massive damage to console gamers this gen as now these consoles are just another "PC" that their studios havr to account for.

Vox Machina

Banned
It was captured on Xbox Series X, not PC.

I know it's hard to believe some games can look so good in comparison that they must be bullshots or running on PC, but at least get your sources right.

Some games just look next gen. Some dont.

5eMkKFU.gif

Spider-Man looks great, but it definitely looks like a video-game-ass video game. Everything looks like it's made of plastic or clay, which is due more to the art style IMO. The Hellblade shots look like actual camera footage, and the Fable shot does a ton of work with believable animations and environment density. Back half of this gen. should start bringing some really visually gorgeous games.

Xtib81

I'm telling you guys you aren't ready for the visual fidelity SM2 has to offer. It'll be the best looking game of the year. Traversal will look and feel next-gen.

45BpSyE.jpg
The thing is this game is pretty inconsistent. Some things look great but others look trash, on top of my head the water and explosion effects, the draw distance (very visible pop in), facial expressions and the lighting isn't too hot either in gameplay. Sure the cinematics look great..

Last edited:
It was captured on Xbox Series X, not PC.

Some games just look next gen. Some dont.

H4wt9cU.jpg

FyW_ibyX0AEPvBD

FyW_icfX0AEOYNM

BSHUngL.gif
marvels-spider-man-2-spider-man-2.gif

5eMkKFU.gif

The HB2 facial rendering is unbelievable, generation ahead of Spider-Man 2 or pretty much anything else.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I like how Chiefdada loses their mind whenever someone dares to post something Xbox related in this Playstation thread. Lol

Anyway, I was just playing Days Gone a couple of days ago and it's nice to see a reference to it here. Wonder what a sequel would look like.

Last edited:

DF is getting a little silly these days, Star Wars Jedi isn't that bad at all on the console, well I'm playing on the Series X and it's more than playable. Any game is possible on a system really.
I remember the days of when the Master System was expected to handle Sonic, and Streets Of Rage 2 never mind Capcom looking for the GB Color to handle Resident Evil or the GBA to handle Crazy Taxi Still, remember Capcom saying Dead Rising was only possible on the 360 only for it to come out in the Wii.

Any game can be ported down, its just what is lost. For me, I just don't get why so many people 'apparently' still game on the PS4. It really is time to move on

Kikorin

45BpSyE.jpg

I don't understand why everything looks pretty clear and high res, but then there's this suit and Venom that looks awful and low res.

This have the "we just discovered bump and normal map" feeling typical of old games like FEAR or Chronicles of Riddick, that was great back then, but is so outdated now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom