• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

hussar16

I NEVER grew tired of the game because of that exact reason.
The world is so wonderfully and cinematically realised that you don't even want to blink

I have finished that game 5 times and it has been one of the top 5 gaming purchases I have ever made [ and it was an expensive limited edition]
for a graphics enthusiast like me, this game was a sublime wet dream
The slide down the blimp I redid maybe 20 times

H . R . 2

If people are still salivating over The Order’s graphics in big 2023 then I wonder what the reaction was like when they first saw the game back in 2015. I definitely need to play that game, now.
Orgasm, that was the reaction I recall I had when I first played the game

The slide down the blimp I redid maybe 20 times
Oh, god somebody give me a tissue

the only thing that I have moderately high hopes for in terms of graphics is ND's next game and GTA6
with an announcement date still up in the air, probably in the next 5 years

Grand Theft Auto 6 Looks Set to Launch Before April 2025, as Take-Two Reiterates Massive Revenue Projections​

"We remain confident that we are positioning our business for a significant inflection point in fiscal 2025,​

which we believe will include new record levels of operating performance," says Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick​

Last edited:

alloush

“Take-Two CEO Says Mid-Generation Upgrades Like Rumored PS5 Pro 'Aren't All That Meaningful'”

Paging: SlimySnake SlimySnake

H . R . 2

“Take-Two CEO Says Mid-Generation Upgrades Like Rumored PS5 Pro 'Aren't All That Meaningful'”

gotta justify those price tags

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
How comes the trees look so much better on this track? Why didnt they bother replacing all the 2d trees in other levels?

Gran-Turismo-7-20230207175905.png
Those are also 2d trees that rotate with the camera but they are higher quality compared to the ones on older tracks.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

mid gen consoles arent meaningful. they just give you more res or a higher framerate. the graphics fidelity, physics and other simulations will always be tied to base consoles. so hes right there.

i am more concerned with his comments on the switch successor saying that he will be there on day one. eh. really hope GTAV isnt tied to a 1.5-3.0 tflops GPU.

mrqs

For those that still have The Order in their collection, if you really want your mind blown, use the photo mode. You can take the camera so far away from the character and wherever you point at, its modelled to perfection, no low poly assets just because nobody would look in that direction etc.

I will be downloading today! that game is on-par if note better in some areas with RDR2, which for me is the most impressive game of the last generation.

SlimySnake

I will be downloading today! that game is on-par if note better in some areas with RDR2, which for me is the most impressive game of the last generation.
playing rdr2 on PC right now. Maxed out. It is a masterpiece in audio visual design.

The PC version has settings that push out the foliage and draw distance as far as the eye can see.

alloush

mid gen consoles arent meaningful. they just give you more res or a higher framerate. the graphics fidelity, physics and other simulations will always be tied to base consoles. so hes right there.

i am more concerned with his comments on the switch successor saying that he will be there on day one. eh. really hope GTAV isnt tied to a 1.5-3.0 tflops GPU.
The guy doesnt see the benefit of mid gen refreshes at all. Earlier he said the $50 price tag was set forth by the market and it is accurate, lol.

H . R . 2

For those that still have The Order in their collection, if you really want your mind blown, use the photo mode. You can take the camera so far away from the character and wherever you point at, its modelled to perfection, no low poly assets just because nobody would look in that direction etc.
I made an epic short movie with a moody/dark atmosphere about lycans using that photo mode just by moving the camera around a scene, adjusting my angles and recording everything in sight
I later added the game's theme to it. it turned out a cinematic masterpiece :)
unfortunately, I lost the file to a broken hard drive

Last edited:
Just because you don't like how the gameplay looks doesn't make it not gameplay. It's clearly in-game footage.

Hellblade 2 was actual gameplay. While Fable 2 is "in game footage", its not gameplay and Dada was right about that one. I think its in engine running on SX devkit and they're being fast and loose with their words.

Well, the PS5 has way better RT capabilities than the PS4 and yet they couldnt even get RT reflections working ingame. I wouldnt hold my breath on them doing something unique for the PS4 Pro. Seeing as how Forza isnt doing RTGI on track, its possible that their mid gen refresh might indeed do RTGI+RT Reflections ingame, but PD is just different. They had the oppurtunity to really push the PS5 similar to how GG did with HFW, but they didnt take it. Wish they couldve just bothered the weather tech from DriveClub just for the PS5 version but really doubt PD cares about any of this stuff tbh.

Yeah, it can look way better because when they unlocked the framerate in the vrr patch it was hitting almost a 100 fps at native 4k. they have a lot of headroom left for way better visuals.

How comes the trees look so much better on this track? Why didnt they bother replacing all the 2d trees in other levels?

Gran-Turismo-7-20230207175905.png

Total apathy and laziness is why. Lack of ambition. Thats why im worried that even when mid gen refreshes come out that most devs wont bother going back and updating games for it

No one is looking forward to seeing what's new from Bend? Days Gone is an incredible achievement, if the studio makes the jump to Unreal 5 with levels of production made in Sony...
HtY74Nn.gif

Some time ago there were rumors that they were going to use DECIMA Engine, I think it would be nice if Sony had a triple A running on Unreal Engine 5
I also enjoyed Days Gone far more than Sony's other open World games like Horizon 1&2, Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushimao or Ragnarok (I know not a full open World but it's still pretty wide).

The first guy through the door always get bloodied.

I told you all way back in 2020 and 2021 that sony first party output wasnt looking good for these first three years. Caught so much flack for it. Got so much shit for saying GOW Ragnorak will look last gen because well, they made it cross gen. Told you all not to expect next gen graphics from insomniac just a few months ago. With Sony being our savior last gen, them phoning in the first half of this gen meant we are still jerking off to Days Gone in 2023.

Of course, I also criticize MS and third party devs but i dont get much pushback for those opinions. Everyone mostly agrees that FF16 can look PS3 at times and Forza 8 looks very underwhelming for a next gen only first party title.

My new prediction is that 2024 is going to be rough when it comes to visual fidelity. Star Wars Outlaws will get delayed to 2025 and there is nothing else other than hellblade 2 for the rest of the year. MS first party will take a break next year, and death stranding and wolverine will get delayed to 2025. And we will still be talking about TLOU2, RDR2 and worst of all, forspoken.
Wasn't this more to do with a change of tactic from Sony due to increased competition from Game Pass and the development issues / lack of PS5 hardware to sell due to Covid so everything suddenly became cross gen?

There's no denying that even today Demon's Souls, Rift Apart, Returnal and FFVII Remake: Intergrade are absolutely stunning looking visual showcases for an early glimpse of what PS5 was capable of (and an early glimpse is what you get in year one - two even without covid). Hell even Destruction All Stars, Forspoken and TLOU Part 1 had their visual 'next gen' moments.

The PS5 patches to Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, TLOU II and the native PS5 apps for Death Stranding and FFVII Remake were also next gen like transformations even if you take them as late life AAA PS4 games that now run at higher resolutions while also doubling their framerates aswell as SM adding very impressive RT reflections even in it's 60fps mode! Think about the PC upgrade you would need to take games from 1080p[/30fps to 1440p/60fps with in some cases better quality assets and / or RT reflections. It's no small feat...

SlimySnake

Wasn't this more to do with a change of tactic from Sony due to increased competition from Game Pass and the development issues / lack of PS5 hardware to sell due to Covid so everything suddenly became cross gen?

There's no denying that even today Demon's Souls, Rift Apart, Returnal and FFVII Remake: Intergrade are absolutely stunning looking visual showcases for an early glimpse of what PS5 was capable of (and an early glimpse is what you get in year one - two even without covid). Hell even Destruction All Stars, Forspoken and TLOU Part 1 had their visual 'next gen' moments.

The PS5 patches to Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, TLOU II and the native PS5 apps for Death Stranding and FFVII Remake were also next gen like transformations even if you take them as late life AAA PS4 games that now run at higher resolutions while also doubling their framerates aswell as SM adding very impressive RT reflections even in it's 60fps mode! Think about the PC upgrade you would need to take games from 1080p[/30fps to 1440p/60fps with in some cases better quality assets and / or RT reflections. It's no small feat...
The decisions to make horizon and gt 7 cross Gen were made in 2017, 2018 for moles and gow. Way before the pandemic or supply shortages. It’s just a shift in company’s direction and tbh i don’t really care if it came from suits in tokyo or devs in Los Angeles.

They had a fairly decent start with ds, astrobot, miles and ratchet but that was 2 years ago. I remember telling everyone that after ratchet in June 2021, Sony first party didn’t have anything next Gen slated until holiday 2023 and i was told that i was on crack for believing Sony would go 2.5 years without a next Gen game.

As for the next Gen upgrades, meh. I’ve been playing PC games my entire life at higher resolutions and framerate recently with rt enhancements. The pro consoles were a similar jump so this doesn’t really feel that special. I expect more from Sony first party. We all do otherwise we wouldn’t be this disappointed.

Last edited:

timothet

I cannot believe I once thought the “gameplay” snippets at 1:15 were real. I got duped big time. Still got a great game but wtf. I’m still waiting for games to look that good.

And people acted shocked when CDPR pulled a bait and switch with Cyberpunk. First time?

Not gonna lie, the visual downgrade of W3 was a bit disappointing. At least we got free next gen upgrade with raytracing and other improvements. Sprinkle some mods on top of it and you can get pretty close to that trailer visuals in many aspects. CP2077 is whole other issue though. Nonetheless both of the games are one of my favourites.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I cannot believe I once thought the “gameplay” snippets at 1:15 were real. I got duped big time. Still got a great game but wtf. I’m still waiting for games to look that good.

And people acted shocked when CDPR pulled a bait and switch with Cyberpunk. First time?

New RT version on PC when maxed out looks way, way better than this trailer. Took them a few years...

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Sony Says it Has Internally Delayed “a Portion” of Upcoming First Party Titles​

The three games under the PlayStation Studios banner that are officially set to launch this year are Marvel's Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, and Stellar Blade.​

This is why they had such an embarrassing showcase. All their shit is delayed, nothing to show.

They should have just communicated that, instead of having such an abysmal showcase that actually lessened my hype for literally every game they showed.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

(Watch in 4K) Am I tripping or does the game look upgraded again - First minute looks quite good. Not NEXT GEN WOW but better than most shit being released nowadays, especially by 3rd party devs.

This studio could be dangerous with a real budget. I have my eye on them

Last edited:

(Watch in 4K) Am I tripping or does the game look upgraded again - First minute looks quite good. Not NEXT GEN WOW but better than most shit being released nowadays, especially by 3rd party devs.

It's provided footage from the developer so probably PC

SlimySnake

It will look good because its using nanite and the latest UE5 assets which is a clear leap over last gen stuff. but the art style is going to hold back the game compared to say something like Demon Souls.

The three games under the PlayStation Studios banner that are officially set to launch this year are Marvel's Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, and Stellar Blade.​

Ok ...slimy JUST posted a few posts back "mark my words 2024 wont be good for visual fidelity" and now you post this?!

Does this cat have an uncle who works at Sony or can he just predict the future?

Last edited:

SABRE220

New RT version on PC when maxed out looks way, way better than this trailer. Took them a few years...
Besides perhaps lighting the trailer looks better in most ways. The draw distance/lod(especially the city view) and geometry levels on display are significantly higher in the trailer...and then theres the water etc.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

Ok ...slimy JUST posted a few posts back "mark my words 2024 wont be good for visual fidelity" and now you post this?!

Does this cat have an uncle who works at Sony or can he just predict the future?
he's just being reasonable
2024 looks , for the time being, rather barren
it is only logical
they just recently announced that Factions 2 is getting pushed back.
The new year is only a few months away and Sony has yet to announce its first-party line-up for 2024-25. no major contenders in sight either
so of course things have got delayed and it will not be a good year visuals-wise . but that doesn't mean Sony will disappoint with its announcements

Last edited:

Edder1

This has to be the worst generation ever so far, it's not even close. I remember people making excuses for publishers and devs saying Covid is to blame and it wasn't their incompetence, but I think it's pretty obvious that Covid wasn't the issue and in reality the industry is just rotten at this point. Studios are infested with people people who have no skill and big publishers are fully focused on maximising profit and not caring about the state of their games.

Last edited:
This has to be the worst generation ever so far, it's not even close. I remember people making excuses for publishers and devs saying Covid is to blame and not their incompetence, but I think it's pretty obvious that Covid wasn't the issue and in reality the industry is just rotten at this point. Developers are infested with people people who have no skill and big publishers are fully focused on maximising profit and not caring about technical aspects of their games.

100% its rotten to its core. It's so big with notging preventing companies from just going wild with greed. Yeah, there are still good games available to play but the amount of nonsense one must put up with to enjoy this hobby is WAY worse than it used to be.

Gamers standards have dropped from beung conditoned by AAA publishers and shill youtubers and the big pubs know this so now theyre putting less into qa testing, improving tools/engines and more into marketing for even easier profit.

Thats been my working theory on this mess of a generation.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Besides perhaps lighting the trailer looks better in most ways. The draw distance/lod(especially the city view) and geometry levels on display are significantly higher in the trailer...and then theres the water etc.

Not really. Here are just a few of the screenshots that I took of the new version. Vanilla. Max settings on PC. No mods. Every frame of this game is like a painting.

KhlbVQm.jpg

QJTwyNP.jpg

3kv2mRX.jpg

8n3wFKi.jpg

r8WlSwI.jpg

sJgcUMy.jpg

EdQYrUe.jpg

UrcxlZU.jpg

DGUhLAL.jpg

YXlRiJf.jpg

The decisions to make horizon and gt 7 cross Gen were made in 2017, 2018 for moles and gow. Way before the pandemic or supply shortages. It’s just a shift in company’s direction and tbh i don’t really care if it came from suits in tokyo or devs in Los Angeles.

They had a fairly decent start with ds, astrobot, miles and ratchet but that was 2 years ago. I remember telling everyone that after ratchet in June 2021, Sony first party didn’t have anything next Gen slated until holiday 2023 and i was told that i was on crack for believing Sony would go 2.5 years without a next Gen game.

As for the next Gen upgrades, meh. I’ve been playing PC games my entire life at higher resolutions and framerate recently with rt enhancements. The pro consoles were a similar jump so this doesn’t really feel that special. I expect more from Sony first party. We all do otherwise we wouldn’t be this disappointed.
Oh I agree mate. GT7, Horizon II and Ragnarok should have all been built from the ground up as PS5 exclusives like it was in the PS1-PS4 era. And they would have been incredible looking considering how great they look as mere PS4 games at higher resolution and framerate on PS5!

I'm not as well versed in Sony's studios as I am Nintendo's but what can we expect after SM2 late this year for 2025-2026? It seems too early for another Astrobot, Ratchet, Horizon or GoW. Hopefully most of their studio's are making two games at the same time and not all are PSVR2 or GaaS games if they're...

Side note I borrowed my mates PSVR2 and I have to say I was blown away with it and I thought the original was a blurry, cheap gimmick. Just the fact it's a single cable for the lighter headset which now has much, much better quality IQ aswell as the games looking like PS4.5 games instead of PS3.5 games it really is the sort of generational leap we've come to expect from consoles for the past 30 years. Horizon is really fun, GT7 is incredible (and I was bored of it after 2 hours in standard mode) and Resi VIII is absolutely terrifying. I wouldn't drop £500 on it mainly due to more AAA games but I will definitely get one in a year or two as it's impressed me far more than any traditional 2D visuals so far on PS5.

I don't see what's controversial about this tbh. It's a top down RPG so most of their budget went into the cinematics and voice acting and the huge amount of content. IT IS absolutely setting yourself up for disappointment to expect a Witcher 4 or Mass Effect 5 to look like AAA current gen only games and have that level of detail and content.

This is the reason Path of Exile gets tons of new content out every 2-3 months yet AAA games from studios 50x the size like Anthem, Avengers, The Division 2 and Destiny 2 all failed to provide regular enough content to keep the games alive as a GaaS. Player / World camera plays a massive role in how much of that level of art a company can regularly churn out.

For me, till this day, this is one of the best looking games of all time.
PBR is the biggest leap in real time visuals since the shaders of the 360 era in 2005. Both of them are much more noticeable than RT in most games imo.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

on a side note, I think AW2 will deliver the goods, graphics-wise.
what are your hopes and expectation for Gamescom ( games with noteworthy visual fidelity)?
I don't think Sony will show up
which means there'll be a showcase in September.
and if GTAV6 also gets announced then, it is going to be the most historic month of the past decade

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So... I launched Forbidden West. The patches did this game good.
I forgot how good it looks.... I now what I told about ff16, that it looks like cgi at times... and that is true but holy hell.. Forbidden West might still be king.
I cannot believe how good it looks. It is incredible.
also... was the fidelity mode moved to 40fps or unlocked? Feels quite snappy honestly. Maybe ff16 got me used to 30fps again.

Posting some tv shots to highlight HDR as this is imo the big factor this gen.
Not only raw graphics are incredibly detailed but also the way foliage moves, subtle depth of field around bottom of the screen in and out, the way sand reacts, water... man.
mLNhNz5.jpg

aPpY1JQ.jpg

5grnzMg.jpg

9jQDofV.jpg

ozzoTkv.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So... I launched Forbidden West. The patches did this game good.
I forgot how good it looks.... I now what I told about ff16, that it looks like cgi at times... and that is true but holy hell.. Forbidden West might still be king.
I cannot believe how good it looks. It is incredible.
also... was the fidelity mode moved to 40fps or unlocked? Feels quite snappy honestly. Maybe ff16 got me used to 30fps again.

Posting some tv shots to highlight HDR as this is imo the big factor this gen.
Not only raw graphics are incredibly detailed but also the way foliage moves, subtle depth of field around bottom of the screen in and out, the way sand reacts, water... man
Fidelity mode is still 30 fps.

you have to switch to balanced mode to get 40 fps.

Top Bottom