• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

The vast majority of people will be seduced by all the minute detail and useless features rockstar is so good at advertising in their gameplay deep dives.

But the rest of us will see through the facade almost immediately because there is just no way it looks as good as the matrix. this game started dev in 2013. there is just no way they have matrix quality visuals when they started working on this title with PS4 specs as base. Its just too late to do anything about the visuals or physics or anything remotely next gen.

expect souped up RDR2 graphics at best. Had they begun development after shipping RDR2, I wouldve had more hope for it. Those leaks showing dev being done on PS4 devkits in 2019 dont help.

It looks absolutely atrocious. Here is my screenshot from similar time of day in Spiderman 1. Not the remastered PS5 version.

DzLEypPWkAA6y33

they have somehow managed to make lighting look worse.
Honestly, when I saw those leaks I couldn’t but feel disappointed. I know they are like pre pre-alpha stuff and the game will look nothing like those leaks but something in me, you can call it a hunch if you will, made me feel like the game is not gonna be the looker everybody thinks it will be. No amount damage control (remember all them devs coming out in droves to defend the leaks?) will make me change my mind until I see it firsthand that the game actually looks gorgeous which I really doubt. Plus all the things you mentioned, as much as I would love for you to be wrong, you make too much sense to be wrong. You have a proven track record man when it comes to these things, lol.

As for spidey 2, the new screenshots that were shared I felt they looked better than the previous ones but honestly the game is a ps4.5 game at fucking best. I am slowly turning on Insomniac, a studio I always loved and admired. They are more than happy phoning things in. This whole, let’s bring our games over to pc, business decision is hurting the ps exclusives in a big way!

shamoomoo

The vast majority of people will be seduced by all the minute detail and useless features rockstar is so good at advertising in their gameplay deep dives.

But the rest of us will see through the facade almost immediately because there is just no way it looks as good as the matrix. this game started dev in 2013. there is just no way they have matrix quality visuals when they started working on this title with PS4 specs as base. Its just too late to do anything about the visuals or physics or anything remotely next gen.

expect souped up RDR2 graphics at best. Had they begun development after shipping RDR2, I wouldve had more hope for it. Those leaks showing dev being done on PS4 devkits in 2019 dont help.

It looks absolutely atrocious. Here is my screenshot from similar time of day in Spiderman 1. Not the remastered PS5 version.

DzLEypPWkAA6y33

they have somehow managed to make lighting look worse.
It looks like the sun is setting,I don't know what exactly is unattractive in this image?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly, when I saw those leaks I couldn’t but feel disappointed. I know they are like pre pre-alpha stuff and the game will look nothing like those leaks but something in me, you can call it a hunch if you will, made me feel like the game is not gonna be the looker everybody thinks it will be. No amount damage control (remember all them devs coming out in droves to defend the leaks?) will make me change my mind until I see it firsthand that the game actually looks gorgeous which I really doubt. Plus all the things you mentioned, as much as I would love for you to be wrong, you make too much sense to be wrong. You have a proven track record man when it comes to these things, lol.

As for spidey 2, the new screenshots that were shared I felt they looked better than the previous ones but honestly the game is a ps4.5 game at fucking best. I am slowly turning on Insomniac, a studio I always loved and admired. They are more than happy phoning things in. This whole, let’s bring our games over to pc, business decision is hurting the ps exclusives in a big way!
Yeah, I would also love to be proven wrong, but ive been burned way too many times before. GOW Ragnorak looking identical to the first game brought me back to reality and TLOU remake looking identical to TLOU2 if not worse made me question reality, and then spiderman straight up broke me. Especially after they had released that so-called next gen trailer two years ago. If three of the best first party studios phone in their games then why wont Rockstar?

The starfield downgrade has also made me question any fucking faith people have in these fucking studios. I have defending Avatar saying that its too late to downgrade it, but now I am fully expecting a massive downgrade because fuck these lying devs. They have no shame and no longer deserve any benefit of the doubt. People will say but Rockstar has a great track record an you should have faith in them, well, i had faith in ND, SSM, Insomniac, Capcom, Respawn and PD, and they all have phoned it in this gen.

SlimySnake

It looks like the sun is setting,I don't know what exactly is unattractive in this image?
Well, it was attractive 5 years ago on last gen hardware. And thats the point. What was attractive 5 years ago is no longer considered next gen. So insomniac releasing these screenshots now in 2023 after we have seen the future is not doing them any favors.

Having insomniac gloat and boast about their last gen looking game doesnt help either.

i think they should just take the L and move on. I see this constantly from them. You dont see bethesda, arkhane and respawn devs gloating and bigging up their games on twitter like they are the second coming. It makes them look like they are detached from reality. Just like when Neil said TLOU part 1 blew his mind or something to that effect. Like come on dude, its the same game as the one you made three years ago.

IDWhite

One key point to bump up visual fidelity is asset quality and quantity. Now GPUs are capable to render pixel scale detail on geometry, virtualized textures... RAM management technologies paired whit SSDs and I/O tech could make a giant leap on that particular case. As for now are completely underutilized due to poor or non-existent code on engines to make use of them.

This whole, let’s bring our games over to pc, business decision is hurting the ps exclusives in a big way!
This is my exact thought as well. Down the line Spider-Man 2 will be ported and will run fine on low settings with a goddamn 1060 and 8gb ram or some shit like that.

They no longer code to the metal to squeeze every goddamn pixel out of a single console ala TLOU1 PS3 or say the order PS4. Now they just make stock big budget game Ubisoft tier graphics and call it a day

Yeah, I would also love to be proven wrong, but ive been burned way too many times before. GOW Ragnorak looking identical to the first game brought me back to reality and TLOU remake looking identical to TLOU2 if not worse made me question reality, and then spiderman straight up broke me. Especially after they had released that so-called next gen trailer two years ago. If three of the best first party studios phone in their games then why wont Rockstar?

The starfield downgrade has also made me question any fucking faith people have in these fucking studios. I have defending Avatar saying that its too late to downgrade it, but now I am fully expecting a massive downgrade because fuck these lying devs. They have no shame and no longer deserve any benefit of the doubt. People will say but Rockstar has a great track record an you should have faith in them, well, i had faith in ND, SSM, Insomniac, Capcom, Respawn and PD, and they all have phoned it in this gen.
GOWR was and is cross Gen garbage visually. It’s the epitome of everything bad about cross gen. TLOUP1 I’ll give you that. Spider-Man 2 is a travesty on a technical level so I’ll grant that too

But cmon man Alan wake 2, avatar, space marines 2, fable. There’s a lot of good shit on the horizon. And I’m sure not ALL of the PS studios unannounced games will look like shit. Bluepoint in particular I’m sure will impress. Sucker punch too.

SlimySnake

But cmon man Alan wake 2, avatar, space marines 2, fable. There’s a lot of good shit on the horizon. And I’m sure not ALL of the PS studios unannounced games will look like shit. Bluepoint in particular I’m sure will impress. Sucker punch too.
After starfield, i have no hope and im expecting massive downgrades for every game. Im done being hopeful about this rotten industry.

Fool me once...

alloush

When you consider GTAV was developed around PS3/360 limitations, I think it's ok for us to expect a big leap between V and VI.
As Slimy said, we have been burned so many times to have a sliver of trust in any dev right now. This gen alone we got burned more than all the previous 8 gens combined and I wish I was joking and we aren’t even full 3 years in yet.

Btw good to have you back, man!

Truer words never been spoken. I’m depressed, man lol. Starfield getting massive downgrades right before its release made me have the exact same thoughts as yours in regards to Avatar getting a downgrade right before its release. We were basing our entire premise on the fact Avatar is too late in the development cycle that there is no way it’ll be downgraded just for Starfield to come out and give us one big ass middle finger, lol.

This is my exact thought as well. Down the line Spider-Man 2 will be ported and will run fine on low settings with a goddamn 1060 and 8gb ram or some shit like that.

They no longer code to the metal to squeeze every goddamn pixel out of a single console ala TLOU1 PS3 or say the order PS4. Now they just make stock big budget game Ubisoft tier graphics and call it a day
This. I remember I was defending their decision to port games over to pc citing profits as the reason why they should do it cuz my poor old me thought more profits = better all around games, better graphics, interactivity, better physics and AI etc. Oh how innocent of me to think that.
GOWR was and is cross Gen garbage visually. It’s the epitome of everything bad about cross gen. TLOUP1 I’ll give you that. Spider-Man 2 is a travesty on a technical level so I’ll grant that too

I know where Slimy is coming from, we got burned too many times that we can’t just trust any dev at all. What would stop Ubisoft from downgrading Avatar? I mean it is Ubisoft for God’s sake lol. I hope and pray they don’t get that treatment!

Yeah these “next gen” games aren’t the big leap they are supposed to be AT ALL…only HFW looks better than its 1st game and thats on PS4 also. 10TFLOPS should have games looking nearly CGI pushing much more geometry, but these studios are lazy snd greedy. Nothing screams “next gen” with these sequels except HFW and Ratchet Rift Apart and sometimes Spiderman Miles Morales.

SlimySnake

Wait, what the fuck? That actually looks kinda amazing?? And its not just the early morning, dusk time settings that make games look good by hiding the imperfect day time and night time lightings. Even the day time lighting still retained that clean cg look. Night time looks even better. Gone is that flat look we get in last gen racing games like forza and gt7. the volumetric lighting in early morning levels is stunning but im honestly surprised by the cg feel of the visuals. I couldnt find a single flaw in that Honda Civic. Is this running on a 4090 or something?

Speaking of downgrades, this is one of the few games that seems to have gotten a glow up since its last showing. i wonder if they have finally learned their lesson and have stopped showing the xbox footage that has looked frankly quite depressing these last few months.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Wait, what the fuck? That actually looks kinda amazing?? And its not just the early morning, dusk time settings that make games look good by hiding the imperfect day time and night time lightings. Even the day time lighting still retained that clean cg look. Night time looks even better. Gone is that flat look we get in last gen racing games like forza and gt7. the volumetric lighting in early morning levels is stunning but im honestly surprised by the cg feel of the visuals. I couldnt find a single flaw in that Honda Civic. Is this running on a 4090 or something?

Speaking of downgrades, this is one of the few games that seems to have gotten a glow up since its last showing. i wonder if they have finally learned their lesson and have stopped showing the xbox footage that has looked frankly quite depressing these last few months.
Even with full RT on all cars and surfaces with SSGI at locked 60fps on series X at dynamic 4K with 30fps mode in native 4K. And the level of detail on track is incredible for a sim racer, everything reacts to the weather and wind.

This is all RT performance mode on SX, can't wait to see the maxed out pc version which will look even better than this.
65R7eaW.gif

k6PMv9t.gif

6DYPeQJ.gif

SlimySnake

Even with full RT on all cars and surfaces with SSGI at locked 60fps on series X at dynamic 4K with 30fps mode in native 4K. And the level of detail on track is incredible for a sim racer, everything reacts to the weather and wind.

This is all RT performance mode on SX, can't wait to see the maxed out pc version which will look even better than this.
65R7eaW.gif

k6PMv9t.gif

6DYPeQJ.gif
wow. 30 fps mode in a console sim. insane. People are going to have meltdowns, but i like it.

Edit: this is from the klobrie tweets. Xsx version
F5wdf2mW0AA3Pcp

F5wdf2YXYAAizqN

Last edited:

SABRE220

65R7eaW.gif

k6PMv9t.gif

6DYPeQJ.gif
I thought the developers confirmed that rtgi was only going to be on pc ingame and not on xbox?

SABRE220

Its screen space global illumination not the RTGI that the pc version will get.
Ah okay, I still cant believe the nextgen forza is not actually incorporating rtgi on their flagship console....I would have sacrificed resolution to implement rtgi as that is a legit the biggest difference maker in visuals. I mean I cant help but feel they took the easy way out here with chasing 4k resolutions and carried over most of the rendering pipeline from forza horizon..that being said its a very good looking game.

Turk1993

Ah okay, I still cant believe the nextgen forza is not actually incorporating rtgi on their flagship console....I would have sacrificed resolution to implement rtgi as that is a legit the biggest difference maker in visuals. I mean I cant help but feel they took the easy way out here with chasing 4k resolutions and carried over most of the rendering pipeline from forza horizon..that being said its a very good looking game.
I mean we gotta stay realistic, epxecting 60fps with RTGI, RT reflections, dynamic tod/weather, heavily detailed tracks with tons fully detailed 3d trees and foliage and upgraded physics (that where not posible on last gen) on a RDNA 2.0 console is a bit too much.

SABRE220

I mean we gotta stay realistic, epxecting 60fps with RTGI, RT reflections, dynamic tod/weather, heavily detailed tracks with tons fully detailed 3d trees and foliage and upgraded physics (that where not posible on last gen) on a RDNA 2.0 console is a bit too much.
I mean they could add a 30fps mode for rtgi, they can even cut out rt reflections as they are nowhere near as impactful as rtgi at least give us an option. I mean excluding the main next gen feature of the game from the next gen console is just disappointing, especially with the initial reveal hype statements.

Turk1993

I mean they could add a 30fps mode for rtgi, they can even cut out rt reflections as they are nowhere near as impactful as rtgi at least give us an option. I mean excluding the main next gen feature of the game from the next gen console is just disappointing, especially with the initial reveal hype statements.
Its not that simple, RTGI is far more taxing than RT reflections and resolution. You need to run it 900p30 to maybe get there lol and that would look trash tbh. The GPU in those consoles are really low end when it comes the RT, you guys expect too much from it.

Imtjnotu

65R7eaW.gif

k6PMv9t.gif

6DYPeQJ.gif
just watched SuperGT play. the frame rate is not rock solid and locked at 60 during the night races.

SlimySnake

Difference between RTGI vs SSGI is probably not very big. realtime GI is realtime GI. RTGI will be more accurate, like hardware lumen vs software lumen but i highly doubt it will make the game look that much better.

Though I wouldnt mind a 1800p 30 fps mode with all bells and whistles.

Turk1993

just watched SuperGT play. the frame rate is not rock solid and locked at 60 during the night races.
Watched a couple of video's and they said that they didn't see any frame drops, not my words. Im playing on pc so i don't care too much about the fps and res on console tbh.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is a random outposts in a random planet i dropped into to see if it was viable as an outpost. When you go inside, its literally the same cave copy pasta from an earlier story mission lmao.

But not gonna lie, the lighting and asset quality even in these throw away levels is really great.
MaSL1U8.gif

Ok, this is next gen and physics finally being utilized in video games for the good of mankind.

That gif looks sick man
Sarah looks like ass but eyes, hair, it's all good.

Musilla

james-franco-wait-what.gif

SlimySnake

I am watching the super gt video right now and the light bounce on the road even in day time lighting is immaculate and so much more realistic than GT7. It impacts not just the cars but the trees as well. looks amazing. the gif looks good but we all know what GT7 looks like at night and that aint it. the GI bounce lighting in GT7 is very flat.

I will do some comparisons between the two later tonight.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Forza 8 vs Forza 7
F5xSUuwXcAE00aL

F5xSUurWcAA606H

F5xSUvTWcAAuvvR

F5xSUwEWUAAIogQ

From John over at DF. Really shows just how dated last gen lighting really was. I was watching some GT7 videos and they just have this really harsh daytime lighting that I truly despise.

GT7:
eS6K18E.jpg

Xp9HnxH.jpg

I really like the soft look of Forza's lighting. The cars look so much better for it. They look far less gamey despite not even going for a photorealistic look like gt7 does.

More comparisons below where GT7 truly shines... on trial mountain.

Edder1

Lighting in Horizon 5 is still better than in new Forza. Playground are definitely more talented when it comes to visuals than Turn 10. Forza Motorsport does have impressive track detail, but the lighting in most day conditions leaves a lot to be desired and because of that the game still retains that somewhat cartoony look that I felt Horizon 5 was moving away from.

Racing and fighting games are usually showpieces for new generation of consoles, but this time around both have been massive disappointments this gen. Having seen a single racing or fighting game that blew me away thus far.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Here is that harsh lighting i am talking about. GT7 looks amazing here but I really like the cg feel of Forza. I love the light bounce off the track. In GT7 and Forza 7, it feels like a flat texture.

dAVIHqs.gif

rYlvUS9.gif

aEYAd0T.gif

Here is Forza Horizon 5 for reference
XvGr2Zk.gif

Last edited:
Lighting in Horizon 5 is still better than in new Forza. Playground are definitely more talented when it comes to visuals than Turn 10. Forza Motorsport does have impressive track detail, but the lighting in most day conditions leaves a lot to be desired and because of that the game still retains that somewhat cartoony look that I felt Horizon 5 was moving away from.

Racing and fighting games are usually showpieces for new generation of consoles, but this time around both have been massive disappointments this gen. Having seen a single racing or fighting game that blew me away thus far.

It seems T10 still can't get materials shaders right.

Edder1

It seems T10 still can't get materials shaders right.
100%, materials look way better in Horizon 5. The way the shaders and lighting interact in Motorsport gives the game that gamey cartoony look that is really annoying. Really expected an upgrade from the already impressive Horizon 5, instead this feels like a step back.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
they have somehow managed to make lighting look worse

Which logic is more sensible? Cross gen Spiderman has better lighting than PS5 only Spider-Man 2, or the game was still in development when the image was captured? Do you also think these 2d "civilians" cutouts from the SM2 gameplay trailer will make it in the final version?

H4cIQWq.jpg

Top Bottom