• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Edder1

Ok, I'm gonna gonna take back some of my criticism towards Motorsport as this official footage looks way better than others. This must PC footage since every other video I've seen had the game looking flat, which makes sense cause those preview and gameplay videos mention that the footage was from Series X. I'm not a fan of the hazy filter the game has, prefer the more cleaner look of Horizon 5.

Still not mind blow by the game, we saw much bigger jump in visuals last gen from Forza Motorsport 4 to Forza Motorsport 5. Wasting resources on things like 4K is killing this gen.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
NIzXG8W.jpg
giphy.gif

Edder1

Cheif, you disappearing for a while and coincidentally reappearing right before spidey 2’s release tells me you’re a dev at Insomniac.
He went into hiding when nobody bought his Spiderman 2 hoax, but I think he saw an opening when Starfield dropped with downgrade to reappear and gaslight people and cause more confusion and chaos. I wanna make an avatar named Duh Duh to counter his bs, but I'm too old for that.

Last edited:

alloush

He went into hiding when nobody bought his Spiderman 2 hoax, but I think he saw an opening when Starfield dropped with downgrade to reappear and gaslight people and cause more confusion and chaos. I wanna make an avatar named Duh Duh to counter his bs, but I'm too old for that.
That's hilarious man, I'm laughing so hard at this:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:. Gotta give it to him though, he is one of a kind!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Unimpressed by the forza stuff people are posting.

Horizon 5 somehow still looks better to me.
Your mind is playing tricks on you. Watch any forza horizon 5 video back to back with the new Forza 8 footage and you will notice the difference.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Your mind is playing tricks on you. Watch any forza horizon 5 video back to back with the new Forza 8 footage and you will notice the difference.

Tbf i only watched the pics you people posted in here for horizon 5, i don't care enough about driving games to watch gameplay :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Post some cherry picked screen of forza 8.

Horizon 5 was also open world, so inherently more impressive.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Tbf i only watched the pics you people posted in here for horizon 5, i don't care enough about driving games to watch gameplay :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Post some cherry picked screen of forza 8.

Horizon 5 was also open world, so inherently more impressive.
Its the lighting. Far more grounded and yet more striking. It's the volumetric effects that are completely missing from FH5 that give F8 a more thick atmospheric cg quality feel to them. You can instantly see the impact these make to the car models.

SlimySnake

So this was posted yesterday by a very popular PC meme channel Nintek to try and shit on Starfield for having poor falling animations. But what stood out to me the most was the instant perceptible difference in lighting between the two games. RDR2 is arguably the best looking game last gen, right up there with horizon fw, but here you can see that while it has great draw distance, the lighting is just flat and lacks that GI bounce of starfield.

Another thing I noticed was how low poly the rocks look in Starfield. I get that they are procedurally generated unlike RDR2 but come on, that game was designed around a 1.3 tflops GPU. Decent draw distance but you can see it relies upon fog too much while RDR2 is like fuck fog, let me show you everything your GPU can handle. Starfield shouldve shipped with these settings to future proof the game.

Last edited:

IDWhite

Huh? that lod so far out in the distance is unprecedented.

Unprecedented? So UE5 with nanite support does not count.

On Spiderman 2 gameplay (more noticeable in Miles flight scene) you can see popping even on nearby objects, even when they still using many of Ps4 remaster assets. The ones further away are low poly models and billboards.

charles8771

gta 4 did this in 2008 with Euphoria engine

By having the frame rates of a Nintendo 64 game, well as GTA San Andreas on PS2 ran like a N64 game as well

In 7th gen, a lot of devs didn't care about frame rates

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
By having the frame rates of a Nintendo 64 game, well as GTA San Andreas on PS2 ran like a N64 game as well

gta 4 was a 30fps game. Often 25 for sure but it was worth it.
Amazing stuff.
Max Payne 3 was solid 30 on consoles and 60 on pc and also had euphoria ragdolls

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
gta 4 was a 30fps game. Often 25 for sure but it was worth it.
Amazing stuff.
Max Payne 3 was solid 30 on consoles and 60 on pc and also had euphoria ragdolls

GTA 4 was unlocked, not 30. Hence it's able to have an unofficial locked 60fps mode on Series consoles.

SlimySnake

Unprecedented? So UE5 with nanite support does not count.

On Spiderman 2 gameplay (more noticeable in Miles flight scene) you can see popping even on nearby objects, even when they still using many of Ps4 remaster assets. The ones further away are low poly models and billboards.
Yep. Spiderman even on base PS4 had great draw distance. This is anything but unprecedented because the last one set the precedent itself.

DzLE1zjWsAYqir3

DmhwEdWUUAAefle

This is the PS4 version btw. I was watching my son play one of the DLCs with hammerhead, silver european chick, and that cat woman just this morning, and its still a great looking game. the problem isnt that the game doesnt look good, it's that it doesnt look next gen or noticeable leap over its predecessor.

PS4 Spiderman 1 - 1.8 tflops
giphy.gif

gm-7a043f8a-2336-4f36-8f24-2879c5710446-spiderman.gif

PS5 Spiderman 2 - Next gen 10 tflops - 5 years dev time.

bJ1T6rg.jpg

Insomniac would never admit it because they are shameless, but i hope we get an inside scoop from Jason Schrier on just wtf happened with Spiderman 2. Massive downgrade. Little to no improvements. 5 years. People dont realize this but ND made TLOU2 in less than 3 years and that game was in development hell faced with delays, hacks, covid shutdowns and rewrites. I get that this game started dev in June 2021 after they shipped Ratchet, but their engineering team shouldve had 2.5 years before that to get some engine upgrades ready for the dev team. At least port some shit over from ratchet which looks a generation ahead.

Edder1

The funniest thing is that people (I think you know who) were posting this screen as some kind of proud moment for the game's graphics, lol. I'm still shocked Insomniac that are known for being top tier when it comes to graphics are dropping this and then shamelessly bragging about these mediocre visuals on social media.

The funniest thing is that people (I think you know who) were posting this screen as some kind of proud moment for the game's graphics, lol. I'm still shocked Insomniac that are known for being top tier when it comes to graphics are dropping this and then shamelessly bragging about these mediocre visuals on social media.
The stupid naive Spider-Man fanboy in me is hoping they have SOMETHING. ANYTHING. Next Gen up their sleeve when I actually boot it up and play it.

It’s baffling how Spider-Man 1 was pretty damn respectable graphically at the time especially and they get 10x the hardware power and Spider-Man 2 looks like it could’ve been done by Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft Quebec etc etc

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

It's no coincidence that the last truly mindblowing visual leap in a generation we got was the PS360 gen when devs didn't give a single fuck about framerate. And neither did console gamers. Now with the bitching and moaning about 60fps.. look what we have. A bunch of sub par PS4Pro.5 "next gen" games

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yeah I don't think some of you understand what you're looking at with the Miles Morales catapult gif. Shadows (potentially RT) are being rendered so far out which is why you are able to make out individual buildings (more dense geometry also contributes), whereas the PS4 pics/gif being posted have the buildings blend in to each other. You can also make out the rt reflections on the water under the bridge and even the structures across the river. It's no small feat. Again, not even the Matrix demo accomplished this.

It's no coincidence that the last truly mindblowing visual leap in a generation we got was the PS360 gen when devs didn't give a single fuck about framerate. And neither did console gamers. Now with the bitching and moaning about 60fps.. look what we have. A bunch of sub par PS4Pro.5 "next gen" games
To be fair I thought that the PS4/XB1 jump was pretty “wow” back then

And it was a 30fps generation. But yes now in the 60fps obsessed era we get garbage like ragnarok and Spider-Man 2

ChiefDada

Gold Member
A lot of you will learn how big of an impact post processing is very soon. Because without it, most of you can't appreciate and/or recognize the technical leap.

SlimySnake

I am putting this one on social media. Twitter and safe spaces like era have allowed devs to stay in bubbles where they see only praise, and if they do see any controversy like puddle gate, gta6 leaks looking decidedly unimpressive, and tlou part 1 lacking prone, dodge,melee etc., tens of thousands of their fanboys and other snowflake devs rush to defend them and shield them from any criticism. thats exactly what happened with spiderman 2 after its reveal, there was a small outrage followed by jstevenson going on damage control which then lead to him being showered with sympathy and love. Like gtfo. you fucked up. you didnt upgrade your game to take advantage of next gen hardware, you downgraded the game, and now you man up and face the music instead.

But in todays day and age, people like jstevenson will never be held accountable. Insomniac has actually been doing this for years. puddlegate wasnt the first time. Found this the other day. From Spiderman's first teaser in 2016. Total fake. I dont even remember this being in a cutscene though i last played this game years ago.

tumblr_o9co6bjGZ31rvkwl5o1_400.gif

This is the screenshot they released to show off RT reflections. DF did a comparison and it wasnt even close. Captured on PS5 my ass.

01063551679l.jpg
LKF0QbJ.jpg

These guys have been pulling this shit for a while now so no one should be surprised at this point.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Speaking of bullshots, the king of bullshots released some new bullshots of their last gen game today.

F51V1A0asAEJNd9

F51V1QCaEAErFrJ

F51V2DbbMAAnc7h

post GIF
Less impressive bullshot i've seen in a minute...

First pic is straight up low res texture galore.

Who do i need to orally satisfy to have ue5 demo rocks in my games? bad looking rocks are gonna kill me, no game is spared...

Last edited:

alloush

Less impressive bullshot i've seen in a minute...

First pic is straight up low res texture galore.

Who do i need to orally satisfy to have ue5 demo rocks in my games? bad looking rocks are gonna kill me, no game is spared...
This. The other day I was thinking the same, I said why the hell do rocks look like shit in videogames? Why don’t we ever see good looking rocks? What’s so hard about them?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Speaking of bullshots, the king of bullshots released some new bullshots of their last gen game today.

F51V1A0asAEJNd9

F51V1QCaEAErFrJ

F51V2DbbMAAnc7h

post GIF
These are iPhone 15 Pro shots. Which make them hella impressive.

View: https://streamable.com/v5mblg

The game is coming to iPhone 15 day and date with the console versions. Huge news really. Apple has essentially entered the AAA gaming space

anothertech anothertech whats so funny :|

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
In optimal lighting conditions the modeling is staggering, on par with Callisto Protocol, if not better.
JHJuXS9.gif

JHJThhv.gif
Callisto protagonist face is noticeably better imo, it looks like a real human, this still looks like an high detailed videogame face, his skin looks kinda waxy in that gif.

glauco-longhi-tcp-artstation-jacob-001-e1674038851342.jpg

It's almost on par with the best ue metahuman tech demos, and imo better than keanu in matrix demo, but we are splitting hairs
6f3d38f4ac871587ab8312d5c4d0866e0ceacb36.gif

There is some uncanney valley that is not present for the callisto dude.

I'm not even sure if joel beat forbidden west faces tbh.

I have tbh, i think tess in the remake look way better than joel and in tlou2 ellie looks way better than him aswell, there is something wrong in joel face with modern graphic...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Callisto protagonist face is noticeably better, it looks like a real human, this still looks like an high detailed videogame face.

I'm not even sure if this beat forbidden west faces tbh.
Probably some photo mode bullshit. i remember being underwhelmed by the so-called cutscene models during gameplay Neil promised.

Q321n23.gif

This is from a 1440p 60 fps capture from my 4k dlss quality maxed out footage. Their character models are really disappointing ingame. I guess they look way better in photomode.

Meanwhile horizon. Same youtube source, captured in balanced mode so not even native 4k, running at 1440p 60 fps on youtube. Looks a generation ahead.

SyBfNX9.gif

I will never get over my hatred for how poor TLOU part 1 looks for a next gen only game.

Edder1

SlimySnake SlimySnake Did you see Turn 10 said RTGI is coming only post launch? Which is probably why the game in recent videos doesn't look as good as we've seen it look in some of the earlier footage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom