• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow, that's the Nintendo Switch version? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
PC maxed out. Ultra settings. 4k dlss quality. After all the patches.

Took this video just a couple of months ago when you guys were going on and on about how TLOU has great interiors.

Meanwhile Im accused of being ChiefDada's second coming because i say starfield has better interiors.

That was on 4k FSR Quality so blurrier and high settings. Not even maxed out. Generational difference.

SlimySnake

SlimySnake SlimySnake Did you see Turn 10 said RTGI is coming only post launch? Which is probably why the game in recent videos doesn't look as good as we've seen it look in some of the earlier footage.
I saw that. Disappointing. I guess I am not getting the game day one on gamepass.

The game looks pretty good to me. My guess is PC version will look way better anyway.

Musilla

Took this video just a couple of months ago when you guys were going on and on about how TLOU has great interiors.

Meanwhile Im accused of being ChiefDada's second coming because i say starfield has better interiors.

That was on 4k FSR Quality so blurrier and high settings. Not even maxed out. Generational difference.

JHdxsfI.gif

Q321n23.gif

🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Character model looks better but probably because you put him right up to the camera and next to a lighting source providing lighting that enhances it like hero lighting in HFW. Interiors still look like crap though.

It's also probably a LOD thing. Horizon uses way higher LODs for Aloy no matter where she is on screen. Up close or afar.
FQBMpKkWQA0UXY3

Fbvfis8WYAc4Ak8

FbvraeXWQAAgsY3

Edder1

The game looks pretty good to me. My guess is PC version will look way better anyway.
PC footage does look like a step up from consoles, but RTGI on PC should be even a bigger difference over what they have now. Majorly disappointed with them not having it at launch after 6 years of development. Xbox studios are extremely slow at getting stuff out.

alloush

Probably some photo mode bullshit. i remember being underwhelmed by the so-called cutscene models during gameplay Neil promised.

Q321n23.gif

This is from a 1440p 60 fps capture from my 4k dlss quality maxed out footage. Their character models are really disappointing ingame. I guess they look way better in photomode.

Meanwhile horizon. Same youtube source, captured in balanced mode so not even native 4k, running at 1440p 60 fps on youtube. Looks a generation ahead.

SyBfNX9.gif

I will never get over my hatred for how poor TLOU part 1 looks for a next gen only game.
Cmon Slimy you and me both know Neil was blowing smoke when he said tlou 1 was a next gen only game. It is the same dude who cast himself in the game having a sex scene with one of his employees!

The funniest thing is that people (I think you know who) were posting this screen as some kind of proud moment for the game's graphics, lol. I'm still shocked Insomniac that are known for being top tier when it comes to graphics are dropping this and then shamelessly bragging about these mediocre visuals on social media.
What can graphically be improved in that screen using the PS5 hardware?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Character model looks better but probably because you put him right up to the camera and next to a lighting source providing lighting that enhances it like hero lighting in HFW. Interiors still look like crap though.

It's also probably a LOD thing. Horizon uses way higher LODs for Aloy no matter where she is on screen. Up close or afar.
FQBMpKkWQA0UXY3

Fbvfis8WYAc4Ak8

FbvraeXWQAAgsY3
Bro do you even lift

Sr7hcfR.jpg

h0j2Y87.jpg

noFgsAI.jpg

Musilla

FQBMpKkWQA0UXY3

Fbvfis8WYAc4Ak8

FbvraeXWQAAgsY3
Of course, it's what I explained in the first gifs that I put on the previous page.

I have to see more interiors to be able to give an opinion but they don't seem like shit to me, I mean that I also expected a lot more from ND in an exclusive game but how many games do they look better than this Remake, four, maybe five?
F51_rhQWAAAc_br

Last edited:

Edder1

TLOU remake is a last gen game (without last gen version) running at 60fps on PS5, whereas Starfield is next gen. The only area that Starfield failed to impress are outdoor areas. Anyone who was saying TLOU was some kind of graphical masterpiece on next gen systems was cappinp out of their ass. It's literally 1:1 on technical level with the sequel that was a PS4 game.

Edit: I see the ones who were capping out of their behinds are already all over this comment, lol.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

SlimySnake SlimySnake , M Musilla

What do you guys use for capturing and gif making? I have lots of shit to post.
Gifcam. Dont download it from anywhere except from this official website by the maker. Apparently assholes were distributing it with scamware.

Very simple to use. Just put it over a youtube video and hit record. Then edit out whatever you dont need and save. I use 16 fps in settings because 10 fps creates janky gifs, but 16 fps creates much larger gifs. Stick with 40-50 frames and make sure to keep the size around 750*480 or they turn into massive 20-30 mb gifs. use imgur to upload. twitter will kill the gif quality.

other than that, it is by far the easiest gif maker ive seen.

SlimySnake

TLOU remake is a last gen game (without last ge version) running at 60fps on PS5, whereas Starfield is next gen. The only area that Starfield failed to impress are outdoor areas. Anyone who was saying TLOU was some kind of graphical masterpiece on next gen systems was cappinp out of their ass. It's literally 1:1 on technical level with the sequel that was a PS4 game.

Edit: I see the ones who were capping out of their behinds are already all over this comment, lol.
Yeah, thats what grinds my gears. People pretending TLOU was some next gen shit. Just like they are doing with spiderman 2 now.

Worst part is that i skipped it last year on PS5 because i trusted my eyes but gaffers and even my friends kept telling me i need to see this running on my oled. So when the pc version came out, i bought it and man i was shocked at how poor it looked in comparison to TLOU part 2. the lighting was worse. the levels felt dated in ways TLOU2 levels didnt. they were much larger and felt much more realistic than these small tiny really ps3 era interiors in TLOU Part 1. I was looking for screenshots i took from this game and i was surprised to find out i didnt take a single one. thats how unimpressive the game looked. Cutscenes did look a generational ahead so my guess is VSG studios did the main game while ND stepped in to animate and light the cutscenes.

I shouldve stuck to my guns. Still havent bought gt7 and the new forza footage has redeemed my decision. It just looks better even if it isnt a giant leap we were expecting. Going to skip Spiderman 2 as well, and this time will ignore gaf and everyone who tries to convince me into thinking there is something next gen here.

Lol of course now they handle that shit better, hardware are order of magnitudes more powerful so simple havok with many object on screen doens't make your pc explode, arnold no shit.gif :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

i have no idea why you people are impressed other than the nice graphic effect because we are so not used to physics in videogames, that gif is not even a thing that happen naturally in the game, it is created artificially with an editor or cheat engine or whatever it is.

this is nextgen stuff, not havok and object persistency that we had 15 years ago (no shit with less fidelity, it was 15 years ago)

Case and point why I’m surprisingly excited for a fucking Robocop game; At least the developers gave a fucking effort to have his handgun rip shit apart in the environments. Now I just gotta somehow get it to work in VR.

There's no way that's from the TLOU1 remake?

Oh just saw this... yikes. How they flogged this as a next-gen exclusive is beyond me, especially from a studio like ND.

Last edited:

Rain432

FQBMpKkWQA0UXY3

Fbvfis8WYAc4Ak8

FbvraeXWQAAgsY3
Horizon Forbidden West is by far the best looking game 🐐

SlimySnake

Of course, it's what I explained in the first gifs that I put on the previous page.

I have to see more interiors to be able to give an opinion but they don't seem like shit to me, I mean that I also expected a lot more from ND in an exclusive game but how many games do they look better than this Remake, four, maybe five?
like i said, i think it looks worse than TLOU2 for a start. The lighting feels dated. The levels feel wrong and dated. They are too small. Character models didnt look great in TLOU2 to begin with, they look even less impressive here in worse lighting.

So, id say there are plenty of games that look better.

2020:
  1. TLOU2
  2. Cyberpunk
  3. Demon Souls
  4. FF7 Remake
2021:
  1. Ratchet
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Resident Evil Village
  4. Hitman
  5. Kena
  6. Returnal
  1. Horizon FW
  2. GOW Ragnorak
  3. Plagues Tale
  4. Stray

1. Resident Evil 4
  2. Star Wars
  3. FF16
  4. Dead Space
  5. Remnant 2
  6. Starfield
  7. Spiderman 2 . Yes i think that looks better than TLOU Part1
  8. Alan Wake 2
  9. Avatar
I would not put TLOU Part 1 above ANY of these games.

Cutscenes are another story. Their fidelity is so high in cutscenes that they might as well be prerendered, but they are not an accurate representation of the game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
AIL4fc9xThohpUuWq3a9IAAzoe9Cd4H-5oaKXMNOYDP3cDxLBJD7vM_DjPzrSvRyqcfFiUE5HVE1Q5ChlIqlEmBxu7g1htchl4XD_0vxVrwm-2KgefCzk2Ad65ZbFkuiSduiHIINVzxxEvw1evNyC_nK7mbFDw=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc_buBQajVpIgvxLnwnHdz6yUNDHwhkrE5-ZMqEpt8-KaoT1iOnTZLuZwQ9TaQpIzQgBPJAIYIHZZr0yfG4bk1xzLXY3EVNip8SJ3do5e5EsS913tMma6JUIgDG2j-nnOu65jUHIxIl4kL24YbhTTxpgIw=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc-FY9hukbqOphDhydSuhBb3Nu0_3WbsCMT4gyypWvdlBUN3GLWXGZKtegy1f3IRSoEtQnwsYMq2yacexTZRhtRaeV-OQQOFnZ13yXjhUN_Wlf0kvXQvsNhG8yGaLo2prBMrD3MoIUWDT_1CQnIbMUlQ4g=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc89r3LnPCVsfxffBUVEuaJqwl__wRjWnoryHMaPpgwB5XzRZo1g9yJEd7EdNiibImT55WCJxujn9H7amPxeRa3vvkN9VDIueCYOxrNNTzxd5SUsWa6dvn5k80Qgl2YDqsqOA-aO9J6jluC_OGRTiN-lxA=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc-hI5vUXc1iFF-JNXEiNf_YCdUTL3ohidMD4gZqrVkqKYk3mf0QhyhxJ7C3nH9X4Ndp4YPwZiB_TXfQxDScD0lmzVkdpLpvUayPAwWc5vNW5pQDFJIuQx-QloGfWhgTkc7cpRxTJhOEIA_XdGG1pHURZg=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc8WlxYsJU0TAjZVh9Cv33uolvB2H4RtxCQ-2hpIZ69ho-QNup-gzUBZvyBAguDj1qAw8vvyg8iERSvDwoaFM771Xs1W8wCl908RWKoAnELVo7RGmLM-5nQmibuf7Kaucf29m3b-DbxGZsSpEwXSnrbCmg=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc8Swktlx-W9dHqYyyy1LLtolVEiQ445vygs1qszg85Ke_ja1RMgW1RiQYH2aoM7T6z6HGfK15NJpzvLOSXJJb3jMPAUUpacUbhdjPTHLwFHjJKxYdGGZ9jg-wFDZymdGjRgD6reBZqhdTn-eshhafOJwQ=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc-7kh9GXcVeebZEf1PxDdBZr9WWkJQzz30sCB0PUzQ_1-Ay2V6QaA7Alqvw00jX63excBn54OejmLTWHCmU5r6ZD2iBBCt8jVzbClYWhaGv3XWaTDf8T_S85RJRNdthGjw44WhYjCABDcwNg27FZUrdiw=w1920-h1080-s-no

Other games may have (possibly) caught up to the pure fidelity, but nothing else has been able to portray pain, hatred, fear, emotion quite like this game has. Even still. Castillo looks great but Issac lacks believable looking emotion. Look at the eyes in these shots. Unbelievable. You can practically feel the dread. Look at Jesse, dead as hell - and he looks DEAD. Its hard to explain what I mean but its just an accurate portrayal of lifelessness that other games simply haven't nailed.

Look at Aloy. Fantastic looking model, but to me her eyes are still lifeless, and I get no emotion from her. As good as her model looks. Same goes for RE4, CyberPunk, Spider-Man, Plagues Tale, FF16, or whatever game you can throw at it.

h0j2Y87.jpg

Then theres the opposite end of the spectrum. With Ninja Theory and Hellblade 2.

Way too over animated to the point where it looks over the top and unrealistic, borderline stupid imo. Like they are trying too hard, "look how well we can animate!"

senua.gif

TLOU 2 is the perfect middle ground, extremely hard to achieve

Last edited:

Musilla

like i said, i think it looks worse than TLOU2 for a start. The lighting feels dated. The levels feel wrong and dated. They are too small. Character models didnt look great in TLOU2 to begin with, they look even less impressive here in worse lighting.

So, id say there are plenty of games that look better.

2020:
  1. TLOU2
  2. Cyberpunk
  3. Demon Souls
  4. FF7 Remake
2021:
  1. Ratchet
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Resident Evil Village
  4. Hitman
  5. Kena
  6. Returnal
  1. Horizon FW
  2. GOW Ragnorak
  3. Plagues Tale
  4. Stray

1. Resident Evil 4
  2. Star Wars
  3. FF16
  4. Dead Space
  5. Remnant 2
  6. Starfield
  7. Spiderman 2 . Yes i think that looks better than TLOU Part1
  8. Alan Wake 2
  9. Avatar
I would not put TLOU Part 1 above ANY of these games.

Cutscenes are another story. Their fidelity is so high in cutscenes that they might as well be prerendered, but they are not an accurate representation of the game.
Well, it's your opinion and I can only respect it, even if some of the games you put forward seem totally surreal to me.

AIL4fc9xThohpUuWq3a9IAAzoe9Cd4H-5oaKXMNOYDP3cDxLBJD7vM_DjPzrSvRyqcfFiUE5HVE1Q5ChlIqlEmBxu7g1htchl4XD_0vxVrwm-2KgefCzk2Ad65ZbFkuiSduiHIINVzxxEvw1evNyC_nK7mbFDw=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc_buBQajVpIgvxLnwnHdz6yUNDHwhkrE5-ZMqEpt8-KaoT1iOnTZLuZwQ9TaQpIzQgBPJAIYIHZZr0yfG4bk1xzLXY3EVNip8SJ3do5e5EsS913tMma6JUIgDG2j-nnOu65jUHIxIl4kL24YbhTTxpgIw=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc-FY9hukbqOphDhydSuhBb3Nu0_3WbsCMT4gyypWvdlBUN3GLWXGZKtegy1f3IRSoEtQnwsYMq2yacexTZRhtRaeV-OQQOFnZ13yXjhUN_Wlf0kvXQvsNhG8yGaLo2prBMrD3MoIUWDT_1CQnIbMUlQ4g=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc89r3LnPCVsfxffBUVEuaJqwl__wRjWnoryHMaPpgwB5XzRZo1g9yJEd7EdNiibImT55WCJxujn9H7amPxeRa3vvkN9VDIueCYOxrNNTzxd5SUsWa6dvn5k80Qgl2YDqsqOA-aO9J6jluC_OGRTiN-lxA=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc-hI5vUXc1iFF-JNXEiNf_YCdUTL3ohidMD4gZqrVkqKYk3mf0QhyhxJ7C3nH9X4Ndp4YPwZiB_TXfQxDScD0lmzVkdpLpvUayPAwWc5vNW5pQDFJIuQx-QloGfWhgTkc7cpRxTJhOEIA_XdGG1pHURZg=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc8WlxYsJU0TAjZVh9Cv33uolvB2H4RtxCQ-2hpIZ69ho-QNup-gzUBZvyBAguDj1qAw8vvyg8iERSvDwoaFM771Xs1W8wCl908RWKoAnELVo7RGmLM-5nQmibuf7Kaucf29m3b-DbxGZsSpEwXSnrbCmg=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc8Swktlx-W9dHqYyyy1LLtolVEiQ445vygs1qszg85Ke_ja1RMgW1RiQYH2aoM7T6z6HGfK15NJpzvLOSXJJb3jMPAUUpacUbhdjPTHLwFHjJKxYdGGZ9jg-wFDZymdGjRgD6reBZqhdTn-eshhafOJwQ=w1920-h1080-s-no

AIL4fc-7kh9GXcVeebZEf1PxDdBZr9WWkJQzz30sCB0PUzQ_1-Ay2V6QaA7Alqvw00jX63excBn54OejmLTWHCmU5r6ZD2iBBCt8jVzbClYWhaGv3XWaTDf8T_S85RJRNdthGjw44WhYjCABDcwNg27FZUrdiw=w1920-h1080-s-no

Other games may have (possibly) caught up to the pure fidelity, but nothing else has been able to portray pain, hatred, fear, emotion quite like this game has. Even still. Castillo looks great but Issac lacks believable looking emotion. Look at the eyes in these shots. Unbelievable. You can practically feel the dread. Look at Jesse, dead as hell - and he looks DEAD. Its hard to explain what I mean but its just an accurate portrayal of lifelessness that other games simply haven't nailed.

Look at Aloy. Fantastic looking model, but to me her eyes are still lifeless, and I get no emotion from her. As good as her model looks. Same goes for RE4, CyberPunk, Spider-Man, Plagues Tale, FF16, or whatever game you can throw at it.

h0j2Y87.jpg

Then theres the opposite end of the spectrum. With Ninja Theory and Hellblade 2.

Way too over animated to the point where it looks over the top and unrealistic, borderline stupid imo. Like they are trying too hard, "look how well we can animate!"

senua.gif

Those are all cutscenes though. Should cutscenes even be part of the graphics discussion?

SlimySnake

not a sneak in, its earned its spot on the throne ;)
Burning shores still holds the crown. Starfield had a shot to dethrone it but fucked up with the downgrade to the outdoor planets. Indoor definitely looks better though.

Avatar is next, and if it gets a downgrade then horizon will probably stay on top until Kojima uses their own Decima engine to top Horizon. Alan Wake looks good but too small a game.

Flabagast

I agree that TLOU1 Remake was seriously underwhelming visually. It is technically better than TLOU2 in some select aeras sure (water rendering for example) but overall the package felt way less impressive and pleasing to the eye than TLOU2 (one of the GOAT of last gen) that I replayed just after and still feels like it's the next level, even in comparison with TLOU1.

Robbinhood

Banned

FQBMpKkWQA0UXY3

Fbvfis8WYAc4Ak8

FbvraeXWQAAgsY3
This looks 1-2 gens above Starfield.

CGNoire

Those hairs are a punch in the eyes, i can't believe EA had better hair tech in fifa like 3 years ago...

Tbh i can't believe how no one gets even close to fifa hair tech...

ufc5 should use the same hair tech.

like wtf

1Ja55qE.gif
100% this. It makes no fucking sense that this hasnt been adopted for other titles....simply retarded really.

CGNoire

absolutely yes. they arent all the same. some cutscenes make others look last gen. plus, they are real time. they count towards graphical fidelity
Dude there basicly tech demos. Once we got to the point where characters literaly look 2x+ as good in cutscenes vs Gamplay using them as a sign of how far our "games" have come has been Bullshit.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

h0j2Y87.jpg

Way too over animated to the point where it looks over the top and unrealistic, borderline stupid imo. Like they are trying too hard, "look how well we can animate!"mi

senua.gif

forbidden west has splendind digital acting for an open world game with hundreds of characters and it is not very much behind tlou2 imo.

The big advantage of tlou is that the characters are more grounded and they don't look like a cg character like aloy, the use of colors is way more realistic.
But in terms of pure facial expressions, we are splitting hairs, horizon is ultra impressive because some incredibly minor characters with a couple of lines (or one line) have those incredible acting snippets, like the asian guy in the elevator at the beginning or the black guy who open the door at the beginning, look at the mouth and eyes movement of the black guy when he say "that's good enough for me" (1:14)

Last edited:
TLoUPII hasn't been surpassed IMO. Like that gif above. Even in gameplay when you kill someone the animation is absolutely insane.

I know it's part I in there but using such a scene as an example.

Last edited:
Burning shores still holds the crown. Starfield had a shot to dethrone it but fucked up with the downgrade to the outdoor planets. Indoor definitely looks better though.

Avatar is next, and if it gets a downgrade then horizon will probably stay on top until Kojima uses their own Decima engine to top Horizon. Alan Wake looks good but too small a game.

Indoors look trash on Series X. Outside produces the only next gen looking conditions.

Of course, if they are running in real time. It’s still an achievement.

Look guys we all appreciate a game with amazing looking cutscenes....Except you guys are using that for comparing "graphics" of games, often in the general sense, while it's not representative of 90% of a game. That's a terrible metric to be using. It should be a separate comparison:

Either debate a games "graphics" or a games "cutscene graphics" but stop using then interchangeably!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Look guys we all appreciate a game with amazing looking cutscenes....Except you guys are using that for comparing "graphics" of games, often in the general sense, while it's not representative of 90% of a game. That's a terrible metric to be using. It should be a separate comparison:

Either debate a games "graphics" or a games "cutscene graphics" but stop using then interchangeably!
I posted a pretty good example of this a few pages ago. Cutscenes allow devs to add hero lighting and hero character models that you just dont see during gameplay.

here is sarah in a dialogue scene:
F5tjDnEXMAAu1KI

here is what she looks like during gameplay:
F5tjDnPWwAAJkJC

i can appreciate how good she looks during that scene but using that as a comparison point to other games ingame character models would be disingenuous.

SlimySnake

I agree that TLOU1 Remake was seriously underwhelming visually. It is technically better than TLOU2 in some select aeras sure (water rendering for example) but overall the package felt way less impressive and pleasing to the eye than TLOU2 (one of the GOAT of last gen) that I replayed just after and still feels like it's the next level, even in comparison with TLOU1.
Same. TLOU2 is doing so much more with its visual design. It just goes to show that just because you are on the same engine, you are not guaranteed the same results. You still need artists to take advantage of it. ND shouldve completely revamped the game's levels because right now they feel like tiny corridor levels. Even the bigger levels like Bill's Town and University simply pale in comparison to the suburbs, the Island, and Seattle day 3 as you explore it with Ellie on a boat. The scale is whats so impressive about TLOU2, and they completely failed to deliver that with Part 1. Yes, TLOU2 has ugly areas, but on the whole its far more consistent.

A good comparison would be RE4 remake. Another remake that stays true to the original level layout most of the time, but they changed just enough to bring it up to last gen standards. It is well behind Demon Souls but Id rank it above TLOU Part 1 when comparing visuals. Just like with TLOU2, it has its ugly looking areas, but again, overall, it had a lot more great looking levels than it didnt. They did a fantastic job relighting most of the areas and adding visual touches to make the visuals pop while ND just kinda did a 1:1 remake and forgot about everything else, and it really makes it feel dated for a last gen game let alone a next gen built from PS5 title.

Uhhhh you do realize that direct lighting is required for shaders to look proper right?

Like this is a horribly unfair comparison.
I think this is a trick that ND missed with the remake. They changed the engine but didnt take advantage of what this engine can do. Too many areas in the game are poorly lit. Especially indoors. They shouldve taken some liberties to touch up the visuals a bit by adding more light sources. Change time of day if you have to, or add lamps, do something. right now it looks flat 90% of the time. Boston, University and the first walk to the hospital look the best because of the lighting conditions, but the rest of the game has this really bad UE3 feel to it.

Top Bottom