• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And just to give starfield it's props. It can look damn great. Something that vids and low res doesn't do justice.
ZYXhMre.jpg

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Lol I love how you included screens from the initial gameplay reveal as if you didn't know it's an ancient build.

But sure I'll redirect you as well. Here you go
Thanks for proving my point that Insomniacs bullshots are enhanced. Look they look close and are definitely upgraded compared to older trailers but it still enhanced.
See the added lights and overall lighting in the bullshot vs the realtime cutscene. The same scene has tons of blur in the real time version but moments before it you have a better look thats more still.
10.jpg

36.jpg

Also even in the latest trailers and gameplay footage we can see that the city looks similar to older titles. Its not more detailed than CP2077 like you think it is.

30.jpg

31.jpg

34.jpg

33.jpg

Turk1993

2077 looks amazing in 2.0 but I kinda don't feel the awe that I feel I should feel? maybe?
It looks great and it's impossibly detailed. Maybe it's just because it's still uneven.

We get this and this few minutes apart

TanLD5A.jpg

TChciXw.jpg

But honestly and this is no joke - It looks IT'S BEST when it drops to 5 fps and I have film grain, ca and motion blur enabled. The thing looks like a fkn movie still.
I think better motion blur at high fps and movement/camera bob would help the presentation
And look at that HDR
llypkky.jpg

Btw, after playing 5fps for few moements before the game unclogs, 20fps is suddenly very smooth :p
Had the same experience, first 17fps than 40fps didn't feel bad anymore lol. And yes no game is perfect and looks 100% the best it could be, but CP2077 looks really amazing most of the time and far more consistant than most games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
2077 looks amazing in 2.0 but I kinda don't feel the awe that I feel I should feel? maybe?
It looks great and it's impossibly detailed. Maybe it's just because it's still uneven.

We get this and this few minutes apart

TanLD5A.jpg

TChciXw.jpg

But honestly and this is no joke - It looks IT'S BEST when it drops to 5 fps and I have film grain, ca and motion blur enabled. The thing looks like a fkn movie still.
I think better motion blur at high fps and movement/camera bob would help the presentation
And look at that HDR
llypkky.jpg

Btw, after playing 5fps for few moements before the game unclogs, 20fps is suddenly very smooth :p
lol why are you dropping to 5 fps on a 3080?

I am telling you. You need to drop path tracing. it doesnt make that big of an impact. The game truly shines at higher res so you want to get at least 4k dlss quality. If that means turning off RTGI then go for it, but RTGI at medium and reflections and shadows on should do the trick for 4k dlss quality at 60 fps.

Path tracing isnt magically changing the lighting system. The game's lighting is the same as it was in 1.0, path tracing just takes that and makes it more accurate. For 5x the cost. Just stick with RTGI on medium and you will get those accurate light bounces without completely killing your framerate. RT reflections and shadows make a much larger difference.

If you are dying to try path tracing, switch to 1440p on your monitor and try dlss balanced. it will be smudgy and wont look that great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol why are you dropping to 5 fps on a 3080?

I am telling you. You need to drop path tracing. it doesnt make that big of an impact. The game truly shines at higher res so you want to get at least 4k dlss quality. If that means turning off RTGI then go for it, but RTGI at medium and reflections and shadows on should do the trick for 4k dlss quality at 60 fps.

Path tracing isnt magically changing the lighting system. The game's lighting is the same as it was in 1.0, path tracing just takes that and makes it more accurate. For 5x the cost. Just stick with RTGI on medium and you will get those accurate light bounces without completely killing your framerate. RT reflections and shadows make a much larger difference.

If you are dying to try path tracing, switch to 1440p on your monitor and try dlss balanced. it will be smudgy and wont look that great.
I enabled DLSS quality or balanced for a moment.
But even with performance DLSS is drops to few fps after getting back from inventory.

I am in no hurry. I will replay it after I upgrade without compromises

Turk1993

I enabled DLSS quality or balanced for a moment.
But even with performance DLSS is drops to few fps after getting back from inventory.

I am in no hurry. I will replay it after I upgrade without compromises
Its your vram thats bottlenecking your gpu, it uses 16gb vram for everything on ultra with overdrive. If your gpu had more vram you could get 8fps easily.

Go_Ly_Dow

Graphics whores, I have a question.

Considering UE5 is still in its infancy and we can see that the current console have hardly used nanite, lumen and the rest of the advanced feature set, will this mean Epic is likely to stick with UE5 going into the PS6 gen, or would they launch UE6 in tandem with next generation consoles?

Turk1993

Is high the max setting for textures on pc? or is there like an ultra setting hided somewhere?
High is the max. But if you want even higher quality textures or patch up some bad textures there is a mod for it. He did a amazing job fixing most of the lower quality textures.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Thanks for proving my point that Insomniacs bullshots are enhanced. Look they look close and are definitely upgraded compared to older trailers but it still enhanced.
See the added lights and overall lighting in the bullshot vs the realtime cutscene. The same scene has tons of blur in the real time version but moments before it you have a better look thats more still.

We are comparing a high res screen from a more recent build that can maintain far more color data and accurate HDR transfer vs a Youtube screen capture from a ~6week old build. I assumed this was understood and the general message was the press shot isn't some far fetched "in engine" trickery that can't be replicated in real-time on PS5.

GymWolf

Gold Member
High is the max. But if you want even higher quality textures or patch up some bad textures there is a mod for it. He did a amazing job fixing most of the lower quality textures.
How heavy it is?
Does it work with gog version?
Does it work with vortex mod manager?
Your credit card secret code?

Also i give you that the game during daytime looks better than spidey 2:messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Turk1993

How heavy it is?
This is what he said in the description "Contains the highest quality textures and gives the best visual experience. Highly recommended for 2K/4K displays. Game can use up to max 800MB more VRAM so most modern graphics cards should easy deal with it. This project aims to improve the graphics by reworking game assets to better quality preserving original art style and good performance.
Modification from author of The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project".
Does it work with gog version?
It should work.
Does it work with vortex mod manager?
Not sure.
Your credit card secret code?
Also i give you that the game during daytime looks better than spidey 2:messenger_smirking:
:messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_peace:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is what he said in the description "Contains the highest quality textures and gives the best visual experience. Highly recommended for 2K/4K displays. Game can use up to max 800MB more VRAM so most modern graphics cards should easy deal with it. This project aims to improve the graphics by reworking game assets to better quality preserving original art style and good performance.
Modification from author of The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project".

It should work.

Not sure.

:messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_peace:
Ok last question, what does the dude mean in the bolded part?

Download one main file, unpack it and move the content into the main game folder keeping the folders structure (mod file path should look like this: "Cyberpunk 2077\archive\pc\mod\HD Reworked Project.archive"). Then play the game and enjoy!

Sorry i'm very noob and windows technical english terms are not my forte.

Ok nevermind, it is compatible with vortex, but the app asked me to manually set the game folder, it is the one called cyberpunk2077 inside gog\games right? or is it one like bin, engine etc.?

Last edited:

Turk1993

We are comparing a high res screen from a more recent build that can maintain far more color data and accurate HDR transfer vs a Youtube screen capture from a ~6week old build. I assumed this was understood and the general message was the press shot isn't some far fetched "in engine" trickery that can't be replicated in real-time on PS5.
We have yet to see Insomniac match its own Bullshots. Sure it can look close but it always enhanced and photoshoped. We have to wait and see how the final version will looks during gameplay. Because the promo shots look more impressive than anything we have seen from the gameplay footage. Last gen they even stated on each picture which version it was running on, now we don't even have that anymore.

Turk1993

Ok nevermind, it is compatible with vortex, but the app asked me to manually set the game folder, it is the one called cyberpunk2077 inside gog\games right? or is it one like bin, engine etc.?
Was just going to reply to you about this, yes its that standard gamefile.

This guy explains it better

And thanks for the gold btw
giphy.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Was just going to reply to you about this, yes its that standard gamefile.

This guy explains it better

And thanks for the gold btw
giphy.gif

By standard gamefile you mean the folder called cyberpunk2077 inside gog\games, right?

About the gold, hey, you scratch my balls i scratch your back, it's a fifty-fifty deal.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Literally every game looks better at lower fps and these effects enabled.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I would like someone to explain to me what global illumination is like I am 5

Explain It Season 5 GIF by The Office

Describes how light travels through a scene and bounces off of surfaces. Can be computed in real-time (i.e ray tracing) or precomputed (rasterization). Either way, the idea is again to simulate how light travels. The radiance levels, shading, and shadow intensity (I believe these all stem from same phenomenon) is determined in large part on whether light hitting/bouncing off of an object is direct (first bounce), or indirect (secondary-infinite). Of course it's more complex and maybe I got some aspects wrong but I think it's good enough to describe difference in the gifs I posted.

Notice how in OG Spiderman all of the buildings are basically universally shadowed under the sunset? You can see multiple sides for many of the skyscrapers, right? Especially the ones that tower clear above the others. You would expect the visible sides nearest the sun to appear brighter than the sides that are completely devoid of any direct light rays being cast by the sun (i.e. the the sides of the building directly facing you). Instead they are all the same shade. Another tangential example is how you would expect the portion of building structures nearest to the ground to have much more shadow coverage as they are far more likely to be occluded by another building. But again that is not the case as nearly every structure has equal amounts of shade. Compare the light behavior to SM2 gif and it's obvious to see lighting travel/behave more realistically.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does the CP update fix settings that did nothing whether low or high or how if you're in an area's room the next room perfectly visible from the open doors doesn't have all its detail in or the constant pop in of everything as you walk around, from random decals on surfaces to actual objects?

alloush

Describes how light travels through a scene and bounces off of surfaces. Can be computed in real-time (i.e ray tracing) or precomputed (rasterization). Either way, the idea is again to simulate how light travels. The radiance levels, shading, and shadow intensity (I believe these all stem from same phenomenon) is determined in large part on whether light hitting/bouncing off of an object is direct (first bounce), or indirect (secondary-infinite). Of course it's more complex and maybe I got some aspects wrong but I think it's good enough to describe difference in the gifs I posted.

Notice how in OG Spiderman all of the buildings are basically universally shadowed under the sunset? You can see multiple sides for many of the skyscrapers, right? Especially the ones that tower clear above the others. You would expect the visible sides nearest the sun to appear brighter than the sides that are completely devoid of any direct light rays being cast by the sun (i.e. the the sides of the building directly facing you). Instead they are all the same shade. Another tangential example is how you would expect the portion of building structures nearest to the ground to have much more shadow coverage as they are far more likely to be occluded by another building. But again that is not the case as nearly every structure has equal amounts of shade. Compare the light behavior to SM2 gif and it's obvious to see lighting travel/behave more realistically.
Ahhh that makes a lotta sense man, thanks a bunch for the explanation. While I know what ray tracing is obviously, I never knew what global illumination is, its the word I see being thrown around the most.

Now that you explained it I can see what ya mean by the gifs you posted. Yeah in Spidey 1 they all have the same light/shadow, this is much improved in Spidey 2.

Thanks again for the explanation, Chief!

Alex11

Some of my shots
Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-22-09-2023-23-55-36.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-23-09-2023-0-04-55.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-23-09-2023-0-41-21.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-22-09-2023-23-46-55.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-22-09-2023-23-48-15.jpg
Damn, in the 3rd picture, that soft shadow combined with sky reflection, other reflections and bouncing it's just amazing.

Playing through it now from scratch and it looks fantastic, indeed there are some areas that look a bit bland, but that's ok, it may be that at core it's a game made with RT as 2nd option or that those areas that look bland are in fact correctly lit, but it's just like real life sometimes, it isn't always flashy and cinematic like a movie.

Alex11

SM1 vs SM2 same location.

And some say the global illumination hasn't changed...

I've always liked how the city looks in the first one, there were some bland areas as normal in an open world just like CP, but when it all clicked it looked amazing.

That scene in SM2 around some park at sunset, I think, that looks really really good, it's a step up from the first, of course.

Loxus

10.jpg

36.jpg
Doesn't that come down to the first image being done in photo mode? Where there's no motion blur.

The last shot kind of proves my point. Only difference is lighting in front of the lizard, all the details are the same as in the first and last images.

I think you're going overboard with this bullshot nonsense.

Turk1993

Doesn't that come down to the first image being done in photo mode? Where there's no motion blur.

The last shot kind of proves my point. Only difference is lighting in front of the lizard, all the details are the same as in the first and last images.

I think you're going overboard with this bullshot nonsense.
Did you read my post?

So what are you arguing? They add more lights, more effects, higher resolution rendering and better post processing. Doesn't that mean that the promo image is enhanced?

Loxus

Did you read my post?

So what are you arguing? They add more lights, more effects, higher resolution rendering and better post processing. Doesn't that mean that the promo image is enhanced?
It's not arguing, it's about all the nitpicking going on in this thread.

This is how some of you all are in this thread.
sEOXbAf.jpg

You all don't even admire how close video games are to real life. Just bickering over nothing.

Last edited:

peish

cp 2077 looks dated af with its gawky looking modelling.

It needs UE5 Nanite.

Nanite, Unreal Engine’s virtualized micropolygon geometry system, allows for millions of poly models to be rendered effortlessly in real time. But how does this monumental feat work? How can you set it up on your project? And how does that change your art pipeline? All of these questions and more will be answered in this deep dive into the world of art production using Unreal Engine 5.

CGNoire

It’s funny you mentioned the Fifth Element movie as this was exactly what I told my buddy yesterday when we were talking about CP and its visuals. I said if had better textures, geometry, character models, npc’s etc would look like that movie, but that’s a looota If’s.
But FE is mostly minitures and practical. Only the motion blurred out background traffic is cgi. Thata why it holds up so damm well right now. The practical effects are packed with detail well beyond cgi of the time.

Top Bottom