• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Starfield bashing is pretty funny. One of the biggest complaints was ugly NPC character models, but it turns out Atlantis just has ugly people in general. I dont know why but everyone there looks like shit. In other settlements, NPCs look just fine.

Character models are really good too. Especially the hair. it doesnt have physics or anything but it looks excellent even on NPCs.

dX0dxpR.jpg
Z5zq58e.jpg
AUgDfKp.jpg

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Been playing Cyberpunk 2077 on a 3080, 1440p, with max settings outside of RT/PT. I'll switch to path tracing when not in combat and get around 30fps with DLSS on.

It really does look incredible. Truly wow-ing. Problem is, the performance drop is usually more salient than the RT changes.

When combat starts, I'll turn of RT and get around >60fps, since I'm not taking in the sights at that point.

I wish A) I could make a mod to turn off RT automatically when I alert enemies and B) that guy that claims to have gotten frame generation working on non-4000 series RTX cards wasn't full of shit.

SlimySnake

This is truly next gen.
JJVRnS9.gif

JJVYBFp.gif
I saw this. absolutely retarded comparisons flooding for this game. I saw one that was comparing cyberpunk water to starfield water. using the same footage used 3 years earlier to trash cyberpunk water by comparing it to far cry 3 water from 2011.

today, that same cyberpunk base game is being hailed as the greatest looking game ever made in this very thread.

yamaci17

Starfield bashing is pretty funny. One of the biggest complaints was ugly NPC character models, but it turns out Atlantis just has ugly people in general. I dont know why but everyone there looks like shit. In other settlements, NPCs look just fine.

Character models are really good too. Especially the hair. it doesnt have physics or anything but it looks excellent even on NPCs.

dX0dxpR.jpg
Z5zq58e.jpg
AUgDfKp.jpg
dude hair physics are actually fine. so fine that I went ahead and my character a John Wick like and I enjoy watching the swirling of the hair when I jump around LOL

is it subtle? yes. but in a very good way. it looks very natural. I'm just surprised that they did some work for that actually..

btw yes. sometimes this game has amazing models and gorgeous looks some addition from me

at times I feel like this is indeed nextgen image and high fidelity. its weird. hair also looks very good. strands and such. tho I play at 4k dlss performance. balanced and quality... brings me to 35 FPS territory... performance gives me 45+ all the time on my 3070. almost. (almost...)

Starfield_162.png

Photo_2023-09-24-172751.png

even this random npc surprised me, it looks very cool for some reason;

Starfield_10.png

but asides from faces, this game has one of the BEST foliage I've ever seen in video games. super detailed. it looks so satisfying to me for some reason

not all the time though. sometimes some trees and foliage look like they're glued together. but some of them are so detailed

I saw this. absolutely retarded comparisons flooding for this game. I saw one that was comparing cyberpunk water to starfield water. using the same footage used 3 years earlier to trash cyberpunk water by comparing it to far cry 3 water from 2011.

today, that same cyberpunk base game is being hailed as the greatest looking game ever made in this very thread.

I wholeheartedly agree. I also keep seeing people posting weird eyes with NPCs and ps2 faces. I never get them. I wonder why?? lol

only way to make npcs look weird is to crouch under them. and that is just a low blow (literally). if you try to do that to manipulate eye tracking system to make NPCs look weird... you're just a weirdo yourself.

actually when I crouch characters turn their faces towards me. I wonder if the bugs with weird eyes happen with low power systems that fails to load npc animations in time so the engine gets borked?

wwuTAjP.jpg

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

dX0dxpR.jpg
Z5zq58e.jpg
AUgDfKp.jpg
These are ca. 2018 level of NPC.

SlimySnake

Been playing Cyberpunk 2077 on a 3080, 1440p, with max settings outside of RT/PT. I'll switch to path tracing when not in combat and get around 30fps with DLSS on.

It really does look incredible. Truly wow-ing. Problem is, the performance drop is usually more salient than the RT changes.

When combat starts, I'll turn of RT and get around >60fps, since I'm not taking in the sights at that point.

I wish A) I could make a mod to turn off RT automatically when I alert enemies and B) that guy that claims to have gotten frame generation working on non-4000 series RTX cards wasn't full of shit.
The game is just not smooth enough with RT on even at framerates approaching 55 fps. i get these bizarre stutters when i turn the camera around with a gun. they are jittery even at higher framerates. you basically need the game to be locked at 60 fps. I dont get this when playing starfield at a variable framerate.

the game is made for future GPUs. when you upgrade, the game will be here and you can play it in all its 4k 60 fps glory. framegen apparently helps.

my biggest issue is that ray reconstruction is disabled in standard RT mode. why?? so that shimmering and muddiness is there if you are using even standard RT at medium lighting which is basically what was recommended for the 3080 when the game first came out. Try DLSS performance at 4k using alex's optimized settings. turn on rt reflections and rtgi at medium. you should come very close to 60 fps during traversal and mostly a locked 60 fps in combat.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The game is just not smooth enough with RT on even at framerates approaching 55 fps. i get these bizarre stutters when i turn the camera around with a gun. they are jittery even at higher framerates. you basically need the game to be locked at 60 fps. I dont get this when playing starfield at a variable framerate.

the game is made for future GPUs. when you upgrade, the game will be here and you can play it in all its 4k 60 fps glory. framegen apparently helps.

my biggest issue is that ray reconstruction is disabled in standard RT mode. why?? so that shimmering and muddiness is there if you are using even standard RT at medium lighting which is basically what was recommended for the 3080 when the game first came out. Try DLSS performance at 4k using alex's optimized settings. turn on rt reflections and rtgi at medium. you should come very close to 60 fps during traversal and mostly a locked 60 fps in combat.
My guess is they'd have to create a separate ray reconstruction for RT, like it isn't a plug-and-play across tracing versions?

Weird, I haven't noticed camera jitter, but probably because that'd be more apparent in combat with trying to aim precisely.

Thanks for the heads up on the optimized settings.

SlimySnake

dude hair physics are actually fine. so fine that I went ahead and my character a John Wick like and I enjoy watching the swirling of the hair when I jump around LOL

is it subtle? yes. but in a very good way. it looks very natural. I'm just surprised that they did some work for that actually..

btw yes. sometimes this game has amazing models and gorgeous looks some addition from me

at times I feel like this is indeed nextgen image and high fidelity. its weird. hair also looks very good. strands and such. tho I play at 4k dlss performance. balanced and quality... brings me to 35 FPS territory... performance gives me 45+ all the time on my 3070. almost. (almost...)

Starfield_162.png

Starfield_10.png

but asides from faces, this game has one of the BEST foliage I've ever seen in video games. super detailed. it looks so satisfying to me for some reason

not all the time though. sometimes some trees and foliage look like they're glued together. but some of them are so detailed

I wholeheartedly agree. I also keep seeing people posting weird eyes with NPCs and ps2 faces. I never get them. I wonder why?? lol

only way to make npcs look weird is to crouch under them. and that is just a low blow (literally). if you try to do that to manipulate eye tracking system to make NPCs look weird... you're just a weirdo yourself.

actually when I crouch characters turn their faces towards me. I wonder if the bugs with weird eyes happen with low power systems that fails to load npc animations in time so the engine gets borked?

wwuTAjP.jpg

I have seen the eye bugs happen in new atlantis. Its a bug. You can go to any other settlement and the NPCs head tilt and their eyes follow you correctly. You can see that in the gif posted above to show off the uninteractive foliage. She stops, turns to look at you and goes back to work without her eyes bugging out.

This is a good Npc.
JJVyDLx.gif

JJW21Pj.gif
HFW has the best character models in any open world game out there. Of course they look great. The point is that the NPCs and quest character models in starfield dont look like dog shit like the gifs and memes you lot have been posted.

Just like Starfield, Horizon makes sacrifices in visual effects elsewhere. you can see it in that gif. the background is covered with fog which lets them push the asset quality up close which includes characters. other games like RDR2 and Spiderman push the draw distance much higher. doesnt mean RDR2 sucks ass and that we need to meme it every chance we get.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
none of those are random NPCs. All three are part of a major main quest.
I don't remember exactly. These are the only npcs I have in my screenshots that are not Aloy lol.
As far as I remember, these are 1 off characters that appear once on your main quest. Maybe the middle guy is side quest, don remember.
Certainly neither of these is a Major character. None is recurring guy in your home base or anything like that

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I don't remember exactly. These are the only npcs I have in my screenshots that are not Aloy lol.
As far as I remember, these are 1 off characters that appear once on your main quest. Maybe the middle guy is side quest, don remember.
The first two guys are from the las vegas quest when you go underground and get your swimming gear. the second guy lets you trade in artifacts for decorating vegas at night.

the last guy is the villain from the very first quest in the game. he is the guy who was organizing a work stoppage or something in chainscrape to make some money on the side.

that said, even the one off quest givers are very detailed in horizon. just like they are in starfield. the hero lighting helps these characters shine. something more games need to start doing.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The first two guys are from the las vegas quest when you go underground and get your swimming gear. the second guy lets you trade in artifacts for decorating vegas at night.

the last guy is the villain from the very first quest in the game. he is the guy who was organizing a work stoppage or something in chainscrape to make some money on the side.

that said, even the one off quest givers are very detailed in horizon. just like they are in starfield. the hero lighting helps these characters shine. something more games need to start doing.
I just can't get over how terrible Sara looks compared to any rando from horizon. Like... she is a main companion in starfield and I would prefer to traverse the universe alone lol

geary

the hero lighting helps these characters shine. something more games need to start doing.
Actually, this is one of the things that bothered me in Horizon games. The hero lighting and aggresive depth of field makes the game look like a collage of very high quality assets and it does not look cohesive.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Starfield_162.png

Starfield_10.png

wwuTAjP.jpg

The problem with starfield is that the characters dont move around AT ALL and so you dont get to see their hair move. Im playing RE4 Seperate Ways right now and Wesker, Ada and Luis' hair look next gen as fuck. Luis' hair moves a lot more than Ada and Wesker, but they move just enough to give it a very realistic look.

Starfield's character just look straight at you head on. There are ZERO cinematics in the game which also doesnt help. Had they used the Horizon FW style dialogue tree where characters move and animate realistically, it wouldve allowed the hair and character models to truly shine.

Care to post some footage of this foliage? Foliage is by far the weakest aspect of the game to me. I landed on a planet with literally no mans sky quality graphics. i couldnt believe my eyes.

SlimySnake

And now do Detroid: become human and you'll see they are very close.
no. dumb comparison. its a linear adventure game, not an open world game.

besides, if you are not happy with me comparing it to arguably the best looking game of last gen then nothing i do will change your mind.

yamaci17

The problem with starfield is that the characters dont move around AT ALL and so you dont get to see their hair move. Im playing RE4 Seperate Ways right now and Wesker, Ada and Luis' hair look next gen as fuck. Luis' hair moves a lot more than Ada and Wesker, but they move just enough to give it a very realistic look.

Starfield's character just look straight at you head on. There are ZERO cinematics in the game which also doesnt help. Had they used the Horizon FW style dialogue tree where characters move and animate realistically, it wouldve allowed the hair and character models to truly shine.

Care to post some footage of this foliage? Foliage is by far the weakest aspect of the game to me. I landed on a planet with literally no mans sky quality graphics. i couldnt believe my eyes.
hmm here's what I gathered. I find hem quite intricate. I think you specifically refer foliage as grasses, right? Oh then I can ssay grass looks tough, yeah. I usually bundle grasses+trees+leaves as a package for foliage. so in my experience even when I do close ups, these trees and leaves hold up very nicely

xHJThEG.jpg

TPWsMDI.jpg

rQT55gR.jpg

these spiky trees look so good to me for some reason

sankt-Antonio

no. dumb comparison. its a linear adventure game, not an open world game.

besides, if you are not happy with me comparing it to arguably the best looking game of last gen then nothing i do will change your mind.
I never said anything about open world games, just 2018 NPC quality.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I need to know what app do you people use to take pics because i feel trolled by half the section right now...

I'm playing the game maxed out on a 4k oled tv and it looks nowhere near those gifs and pics, so i need to know if my pc is fucked or if photo mode improve the iq a lot, it must be one of the 2 options,or people cherry picking shots like there is no tomorrow.

I want to play the same game you people are playing because i feel like i'm living in bizzarro world.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

huh? linear games dont have NPCs. Detroit literally has one small level where you get to explore the city with some NPCs. hardly the standard in 2018.

when people say NPC they are talking about crowds in an open world game.
What? no they do not. Its every character that's not the player. Always has been. Ther's tons of NPC's in the Last of Us etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
huh? linear games dont have NPCs. Detroit literally has one small level where you get to explore the city with some NPCs. hardly the standard in 2018.

when people say NPC they are talking about crowds in an open world game.
Depends. To me npc is also 1 off side quest character.
If we only consider non interactive background pedestrians, the it’s a different category. Horizon still wins though

CherryFalls

Banned
I need to know what app do you people use to take pics because i feel trolled by half the section right now...

I'm playing the game maxed out on a 4k oled tv and it looks nowhere near those gifs and pics, so i need to know if my pc is fucked or if photo mode improve the iq a lot, it must one of the 2 options,or people cherry picking shots like there is no tomorrow.

I want to play the same game you people are playing because i feel like i'm living in bizzarro world.

You're not crazy. Sadly, way too many people in this thread post bullshots, whether it's mods/camera manipulation and serious cherry picking.

SlimySnake

Depends. To me npc is also 1 off side quest character.
If we only consider non interactive background pedestrians, the it’s a different category. Horizon still wins though
Technically npc is side character, so ellie, tess and David from tlou are all technically NpCs. I was specifically talking about those awful npcs being manned in Atlantis looking all weird and ugly. The game’s side characters look great and aren’t being memed for obvious reasons.

SlimySnake

I'm playing the game maxed out on a 4k oled tv and it looks nowhere near those gifs and pics, so i need to know if my pc is fucked or if photo mode improve the iq a lot, it must be one of the 2 options,or people cherry picking shots like there is no tomorrow.

Is the Driveclub effect. Gifs hide all the blurrines that path tracing introduces. And photomode improves picture and asset quality. Also like driveclub, some levels look fantastic while others look drab until you turn on weather or change the lighting conditions. Cyberpunk has realtime time of day so it won’t always look great. Starfield has the same issue. Go to akila city at anything other than midday or early morning looks off. Add in some gaze and it looks next Gen.

Lastly, it’s a last Gen game if you take out path tracing. So some aspects like asset and model quality, characters, and overall world detail is still last gen. Hell, I’d say division 2 has more detail on street level.

Everyone is lamenting them switching to unreal engine 5, but i promise you their next game will make cyberpunk look last Gen just like the matrix demo does today.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Is the Driveclub effect. Gifs hide all the blurrines that path tracing introduces. And photomode improves picture and asset quality. Also like driveclub, some levels look fantastic while others look drab until you turn on weather or change the lighting conditions. Cyberpunk has realtime time of day so it won’t always look great. Starfield has the same issue. Go to akila city at anything other than midday or early morning looks off. Add in some gaze and it looks next Gen.

Lastly, it’s a last Gen game if you take out path tracing. So some aspects like asset and model quality, characters, and overall world detail is still last gen. Hell, I’d say division 2 has more detail on street level.

Everyone is lamenting then switching to unreal engine 5, but i promise you their next game will make cyberpunk look last Gen just like the matrix demo does today.
Yeah but the difference is kinda staggering...

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I'm trying to be open minded, i don't wanna believe that.
Photomode to gameplay from what i have seen has almost zero improvements (outside if you play at lower resolution it adds sharpness and oversampling). All gameplay 4K DLSS balance sharpness set to 55. Also make sure you set the DLSS sharpness atleast to 50 because otherwise it doesn't look as sharp as it can be like our pictures.

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-15-40.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-16-32.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-11-44.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-12-40.jpg

Some gameplay shots
Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-1-48-26.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-08-20.jpg

Im going to holiday today, see you guys next week :messenger_peace:.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Technically npc is side character, so ellie, tess and David from tlou are all technically NpCs. I was specifically talking about those awful npcs being manned in Atlantis looking all weird and ugly. The game’s side characters look great and aren’t being memed for obvious reasons.
Beret looks ok but nothing like side character from Horizon.
Sarah looks like ass.

SlimySnake

Im going to holiday today, see you guys next week :messenger_peace:.
Thank god! No more cyberpunk bullshots for a week!

just kidding lol. that final shot has some of the best reflections ive ever seen. its a shame they dont let you fly around in cars. the game shipped with some bizarre things, but three years later some of the design choices still baffle me. its 2077, let me fucking fly dude.

SlimySnake

Beret looks ok but nothing like side character from Horizon.
Sarah looks like ass.
Horizon has the best character models NPCs or otherwise in an open world game probably ever. Id rank starfield second when it comes to quest givers (not crowd NPCs). Ahead of RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima, and even Cyberpunk.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Horizon has the best character models NPCs or otherwise in an open world game probably ever. Id rank starfield second when it comes to quest givers (not crowd NPCs). Ahead of RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima, and even Cyberpunk.
Cyberpunks npcs are uneven, some looks better than starfield (but not horizon) and some look like some ps4 launch title.

The problem with starfield is that animations and face animations are dogshit so it make look npcs more robotic and unrealistic than they really are.

Pretty sure that me1 has better digital acting overall.

Character rendering is too realistic nowadays to combo with shit animations, it is not 2015 anymore.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Cyberpunks npcs are uneven, some looks better than starfield (but not horizon) and some look like some ps4 launch title.

The problem with starfield is that animations and face animations are dogshit so it make look npcs more robotic and unrealistic tham they really are.

Pretty sure that me1 has better digital acting overall.

Character rendering is too realistic nowadays to combo with shit animations, it is not 2015 anymore.
It has the same issues Horizon 1 had way back in 2017. You can have all the high quality character models but if they just stare at the screen without moving around, no amount of facial animations and great character rendering will fix that. they needed something like horizon forbidden west's movement system where the characters gesture and the camera cuts to different angles.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Absolutely not. Quest givers look OK but nothing impressive at all in starfield.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
All of these guys look very impressive to me.

dX0dxpR.jpg

Z5zq58e.jpg

Problem has the game has probably a 100 of these characters and not all of them look great.
They look terrible. Maybe bottom left guy looks kinda ok.
No subsurface scattering, waxy skin look, dead eyes, facial hair attached to the face.
Costumes look amazing. I can give you that

Markio128

Gold Member
I feel like Cyberpunk could have my favourite open world, as far as atmosphere goes. The feeling of actually being in a place is tangible. I especially love the industrial areas - there’s something about them, particularly at night time, with the chimneys bellowing fire and smoke into the night sky. They have an eerie quality to them.

alloush

lol RED DRAGON is the biggest fanboy on twitter. The last part of the tweet confirms it.

And the game is mediocre as fuck. Im only defending the graphics.
Actually this has been confirmed by multiple sources, it is also a fact you can check it out yourself. Yeah Xbox’s biggest game and for sure their most ambitious ever isn’t doing great.

I know you are just defending graphics I am just messing with you. Some parts of it look gorgeous and some part look straight up PS3.

Top Bottom