• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

"Steam, the gold standard for reviews"

"Xbox and Bethesda were caught trying to manipulate review scores"

Podcast Preach GIF

this guy's a fucking idiot lol
Yeah the guy is annoying af. He used those controversial words on purpose for engagement.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He is a fanboy through and through, but I laughed:

Yes, I know its cherry picking, but still funny

Can we stop posting this trash excuse for a human being? Colteastwood is talking about characters you interact with. Not crowd NPCs.

He even qualified his remarks by saying UNDER CORRECT LIGHTING conditions. When colt eastwood is coming across as reasonable compared to red dragon, maybe its time to stop posting his links.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Can we stop posting this trash excuse for a human being? Colteastwood is talking about characters you interact with. Not crowd NPCs.

He even qualified his remarks by saying UNDER CORRECT LIGHTING conditions. When colt eastwood is coming across as reasonable compared to red dragon, maybe its time to stop posting his links.
It becomes funny when you dont take it seriously. We all know he is trolling, that's where I find the enjoyment.

And to be fair those character models are funny

SlimySnake

Kinda sad that forspoken doesn't really look that much better.
Cant believe forspoken was made by the same team and took 6 years. WTF happened.
FF 15 is so fkn good looking. It's a great game too.
I wish they ported it for ps5 and upgraded pc version with real DLSS2.0 instead of that 1.0 crap
I played the PS4 Pro version back in the day but going to buy it from steam to see just how good it looks on PC. its on sale for the next hour or so.

Dont think we would need DLSS with our 3080s. native 4k 60 fps should be easily doable on a 3080.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cant believe forspoken was made by the same team and took 6 years. WTF happened.

I played the PS4 Pro version back in the day but going to buy it from steam to see just how good it looks on PC. its on sale for the next hour or so.

Dont think we would need DLSS with our 3080s. native 4k 60 fps should be easily doable on a 3080.
If you are going to play it on steam, don't use terrible DLSS.
WE don't need it performance wise but the game just needs good AA.

To save you some time - you can keep all nvidia effects aside from Shadow Libs. It's some additional shadows on characters and it slows down the game to a crawl in some points.
And I disabled "Assets" because it makes some gras way too tall and different than other grass. I just dont like it

Lethal01

What red dragon does is trolling. this is a straight up comparison using square enix provided tweets and bullshots.

I've been talking about how bad it is looking graphically for hours, but also, they've been constantly saying that the demos they made for the public are very old builds and honestly I believe em, so I think it will look as good as their current promotion.

But even that is far behind the level of say Avatar: Legend of pandora, Not only is the geo low, the foliage doesn't cast shadows, it's also totally static. And the texture resolution is often a step back from remake.

I will say that even with all this I waaaaay prefer looking at it than looking at FF15, and I also vastly prefer the combat. Put ff15 in the trash and keep it there.

alloush

I am all for trolling colt eastwood though. That guy is unbearable, him and that Tim dude (I think his name is Tim or something like that).

SlimySnake

I've been talking about how bad it is looking graphically for hours, but also, they've been constantly saying that the demos they made for the public are very old builds and honestly I believe em, so I think it will look as good as their current promotion.

But even that is far behind the level of say Avatar: Legend of pandora, Not only is the geo low, the foliage doesn't cast shadows, it's also totally static. And the texture resolution is often a step back from remake.

I will say that even with all this I waaaaay prefer looking at it than looking at FF15, and I also vastly prefer the combat. Put ff15 in the trash and keep it there.
Lets hope so, but it will still be a spiderman 2 style upgrade. Would look better than the first but not a generational leap.

I would like some discussion on Japanese devs lagging behind once again after finishing last gen on a high note. We have seen Forspoken, SF6, RE4, FF16, and now FF7 launch in a year, and Im not sure if they come even close to Avatar, Cyberpunk, and Alan Wake 2. At least SE made their devs focus on next gen hardware, Capcom tied their devs to last gen hardware and even though the RE engine games look really good, they dont quite hit it out of the ballpark.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Some parts of it look gorgeous and some part look straight up PS3.
That's true. Some areas around New Atlantis was especially prone with those fugly greens. Actually... It's kinda like almost every open world 3D game (not only OW games though) in history.

Also when I upgraded the jetpack, jumping around the planets relatively high just broke the LOD, almost making it look like the atrocious LOD in No Man's Sky. Man, I can't wait for more Nanite.. The lack of pop-in in Remnant II was glorious.

..Anyway, it kinda begs the question; Are there any open world games where you somewhat cannot go out of bounds graphically to make it look like shit? It's been a safe and easy go-to tool for system warriors for decades for a reason.

Last edited:

alloush

That's true. Some areas around New Atlantis was especially prone with those fugly greens. Actually... It's kinda like almost every open world 3D game (not only OW games though) in history.

Also when I upgraded the jetpack, jumping around the planets relatively high just broke the LOD, almost making it look like the atrocious LOD in No Man's Sky. Man, I can't wait for more Nanite.. The lack of pop-in in Renmant II was glorious.

..Anyway, it kinda begs the question; Are there any open world games where you somewhat cannot go out of bounds graphically to make it look like shit? It's been a safe and easy go-to tool for system warriors for decades for a reason.
Yeah Nanite as far as I know should fix a lot of issues we usually get in open world games. Though it I am not mistaken it is currently resource-heavy or was that Lumen?

Good question, that’s why for me RDR2 is the technical marvel it was touted. That game, considering the hardware it was running on, was almost, ALMOST perfect, gorgeous looking all around. I don’t remember seeing bad pop-ins or LOD, interactivity was second to none. Though for some reason I have this hunch that tells me GTA6 won’t be the graphical/technical marvel a lotta people think it will be.

SlimySnake

Yeah Nanite as far as I know should fix a lot of issues we usually get in open world games. Though it I am not mistaken it is currently resource-heavy or was that Lumen?

Good question, that’s why for me RDR2 is the technical marvel it was touted. That game, considering the hardware it was running on, was almost, ALMOST perfect, gorgeous looking all around. I don’t remember seeing bad pop-ins or LOD, interactivity was second to none. Though for some reason I have this hunch that tells me GTA6 won’t be the graphical/technical marvel a lotta people think it will be.
RDR2 makes several sacrifices actually. Its character models, and textures are rather low res. Foliage and trees arent as detailed as other games. On PCs its improved a bit, but not by much. HFW, Division 2, Ghost of Tsushima has better foliage.

What they did was put the majority of their rendering budget on lighting and draw distance. And because the game was developed by all 7 rockstar studios totaling 3,000 devs, they were able to polish and optimize the shit out of it so those imperfections dont stand out. A lot of devs just dont have that kind of budget which is why we see so many areas which feel like they belong in a different game. Whereas every area in RDR2 is drawn to perfection.

P.S If you have a PC and dont mind paying for mods, look up the mod that removes fog in the PC version of HZD and tweaks draw distance as well. Now that game (not even the sequel) looks better than RDR2.

GermanZepp

I look this thread regularly to catch some pretty screenshots or some cool tech and some of you guys are borderline trolling or discussing on your own echo chamber so aloud me to give us a reality check:

Spiderman 2 looks marginally better than Miles Morales on some areas and a little better on others. Is not looking like the first reveal though. It needs volumetric effects like Returnal.

Horizon fw is the benchmark in console graphics. The taste of the artstyle besides the robots is debatable.

Starfield has good graphics the same way Fromsoftware gas has good graphics.

CP2077 on overdrive looks fantastic.

FFXVI looks fine most of the time with some nextgen splashes.

Just my two cents

I look this thread regularly to catch some pretty screenshots or some cool tech and some of you guys are borderline trolling or discussing on your own echo chamber so aloud me to give us a reality check:

Spiderman 2 looks marginally better than Miles Morales on some areas and a little better on others. Is not looking like the first reveal though. It needs volumetric effects like Returnal.

Horizon fw is the benchmark in console graphics. The taste of the artstyle besides the robots is debatable.

Starfield has good graphics the same way Fromsoftware gas has good graphics.

CP2077 on overdrive looks fantastic.

FFXVI looks fine most of the time with some nextgen splashes.

Just my two cents
“Allow me to give this thread a reality check”

*says things that everyone and their mother on this thread says all the time*

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Here is something most people arent talking about enough. Saw this in the FF7 thread. FF16 came out 7 years ago, and looks better than a next gen FF game coming out next year.

ffxv_s_2023_08_28_10_nyfc5.png

ffxv_s_2023_08_28_17_99c0j.png

KqtWAry.gif

A00vJOF.gif

Bullshot
EN_02_ff7rebirth_SS_0923_world.png

Reality
ZRXFNK3.jpg

You made me do it. I reinstalled XV. Without assets/4k crap because I don't like it.
Looks how incredible it looks. It is hammering the system. About 70fps at 4k and 150% 30fps.

EYLN3G3.jpg

D5y9aGQ.jpg

92oiMo5.jpg

Looks weird and paintery but I kinda like it except it ruins the game. Framepacinng gets so bad, it is unplayable lol
One dlss shot, 2nd dlss shot and 3rd one is TAA

m221gA9.jpg

Ego6BMg.jpg

MnFu0jR.jpg

Top one is default
BEW9Wlc.jpg

2Z2xMbL.jpg

SlimySnake

You made me do it. I reinstalled XV. Without assets/4k crap because I don't like it.
Looks how incredible it looks. It is hammering the system. About 70fps at 4k and 150% 30fps.

EYLN3G3.jpg

D5y9aGQ.jpg

92oiMo5.jpg

Looks weird and paintery but I kinda like it except it ruins the game. Framepacinng gets so bad, it is unplayable lol
One dlss shot, 2nd dlss shot and 3rd one is TAA

m221gA9.jpg

Ego6BMg.jpg

MnFu0jR.jpg

Top one is default
BEW9Wlc.jpg

2Z2xMbL.jpg
that looks amazing. See, now compare this to your favorite Forspoken from the same studio. lol

I just finished downloading. Cant wait to try it out.

alloush

RDR2 makes several sacrifices actually. Its character models, and textures are rather low res. Foliage and trees arent as detailed as other games. On PCs its improved a bit, but not by much. HFW, Division 2, Ghost of Tsushima has better foliage.

What they did was put the majority of their rendering budget on lighting and draw distance. And because the game was developed by all 7 rockstar studios totaling 3,000 devs, they were able to polish and optimize the shit out of it so those imperfections dont stand out. A lot of devs just dont have that kind of budget which is why we see so many areas which feel like they belong in a different game. Whereas every area in RDR2 is drawn to perfection.

P.S If you have a PC and dont mind paying for mods, look up the mod that removes fog in the PC version of HZD and tweaks draw distance as well. Now that game (not even the sequel) looks better than RDR2.
That’s an interesting way of doing this. Damn, Rockstar are good!

Did they really have around 3000 devs working on the game? That’s a shit ton, Jesus!

Unfortunately I don’t have a rig, been meaning to build one for ages but the idea hasn’t appealed to me yet. Like when I see mods and stuff I get excited and feel enticed but then I say I have a PS5 I am good. Having said that, I need to check out that mod you mentioned for HZD. It’s weird how modders are capable of doing things those multibillion dollar corps cannot.

I have also seen some amazing mods for RDR2. I once saw this mod which made RDR2 look hella realistic and I shit you not I thought I was watching an actual movie at first. The animations along with like textures and stuff were what gave it away but it was rather impressive how gorgeous that game looked under that mod.

PS: I hate fog and wish for it to be gone for good.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Speaking of explosions. Which game has the best explosions?

Its sad we haven't even come close to this, 11 years later. 2012 Ubisoft Watch Dogs demo. The Ubisoft Special in full force here.

WWER1tP.gif
gta 4 explosions are better than this.
Lost planet explosions are even better
Armored core vi are the best.

Alex11

Speaking of explosions. Which game has the best explosions?

Its sad we haven't even come close to this, 11 years later. 2012 Ubisoft Watch Dogs demo. The Ubisoft Special in full force here.

WWER1tP.gif
Don't know if it's the best, but off the top of my head, and apart of being scripted, I was really impressed with Mad Max explosions.

SlimySnake

giphy.gif

Forgot how good this shit looked.

Dear Video Game Gods; please let GTA6 look 2/3rds this good. Even just the explosions.
lol. I bet in 5 years for the PS6 release in 2028, we would be posting gifs from the matrix demo begging ND, SSM, Rockstar, Rocksteady, and other AAA games to at least come close to the matrix demo.

This year we saw AAA next gen only releases from two Square Enix studios with one more coming early next year. Not even close to the matrix. We saw two AAA releases from EA's best studio Respawn and another from a new studio that didnt come close. Spiderman, not even close. Alan Wake, Starfield and Avatar have their moments but Matrix is in just another league.

So no, I dont have faith in Rockstar, ND, SSM, GG and any of the other studios to come close to the matrix. Ive been burned too many times.

Maybe next gen. once the cross gen period ends in 2033.

alloush

lol. I bet in 5 years for the PS6 release in 2028, we would be posting gifs from the matrix demo begging ND, SSM, Rockstar, Rocksteady, and other AAA games to at least come close to the matrix demo.

This year we saw AAA next gen only releases from two Square Enix studios with one more coming early next year. Not even close to the matrix. We saw two AAA releases from EA's best studio Respawn and another from a new studio that didnt come close. Spiderman, not even close. Alan Wake, Starfield and Avatar have their moments but Matrix is in just another league.

So no, I dont have faith in Rockstar, ND, SSM, GG and any of the other studios to come close to the matrix. Ive been burned too many times.

Maybe next gen. once the cross gen period ends in 2033.
Your post depressed the shit out of me right before I went to bed (I’m out of the US currently). We all thought a game resembling the Matrix demo graphically could be possible this gen, now we are touting 2033 as the year we reach that level of graphics :messenger_weary:

SlimySnake

Your post depressed the shit out of me right before I went to bed (I’m out of the US currently). We all thought a game resembling the Matrix demo graphically could be possible this gen, now we are touting 2033 as the year we reach that level of graphics :messenger_weary:
lmao i am just being pessimistic dont listen to me lol.

i will be back next week with some optimism.

benzy

that looks amazing. See, now compare this to your favorite Forspoken from the same studio. lol

They really messed up not reusing XV's dynamic lighting and weather system for Forspoken. They still had it in the engine tech demos but for some reason decided to make a new pre-baked static solution partway through development. After the director/studio head and half the Luminous team left with him in 2018, it's like the devs didn't quite know where to take the game since the remaining devs were just obligated to finish it. From Tabata's interviews they were going to iterate and take it even further on everything they had built for XV. 25% of Luminous team also helped out on XVI during Forspoken's development too, with Forspoken director as a lead game designer on XVI and Forspoken's other co-director managing. Seems like SE really overworked the team.

Anyway, XV's dynamic lighting and weather post processing is insane. Luminous tech should be iterated on and improved even further for a new mainline Final Fantasy.

ffxv_s_2023_09_25_16_l9c2w.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_24_22_sld0v.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_10_19_i3ikr.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_24_21_sxdnw.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_24_20_iedzn.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_24_22_fbcok.png

SlimySnake

FF 15 is so fkn good looking. It's a great game too.
I wish they ported it for ps5 and upgraded pc version with real DLSS2.0 instead of that 1.0 crap
Sorry rofif. it looks awful. PS3 era textures on mountains. awful draw distance. lighting is ok. nothing special like those screenshots but i havent seen dusk time yet.

The LODs are utterly awful. I have seen cherry picking shots before but those shots are something else.

F66c9ZPWQAA3-C7

F66c9ZPXEAAV_fY

F66c9ZOW0AA_Suj

F66c9ZOXMAAyn6R

Game is still dumb mindless fun. Its a guilty pleasure of mine so i will do a playthrough and see more, but it looked so bad it made me appreciate forspoken lol

SlimySnake

They really messed up not reusing XV's dynamic lighting and weather system for Forspoken. They still had it in the engine tech demos but for some reason decided to make a new pre-baked static solution partway through development. After the director/studio head and half the Luminous team left with him in 2018, it's like the devs didn't quite know where to take the game since the remaining devs were just obligated to finish it. From Tabata's interviews they were going to iterate and take it even further on everything they had built for XV. 25% of Luminous team also helped out on XVI during Forspoken's development too, with Forspoken director as a lead game designer on XVI and Forspoken's other co-director managing. Seems like SE really overworked the team.

Anyway, XV's dynamic lighting and weather post processing is insane. Luminous tech should be iterated on and improved even further for a new mainline Final Fantasy.

ffxv_s_2023_09_25_16_l9c2w.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_24_22_sld0v.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_10_19_i3ikr.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_24_21_sxdnw.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_24_20_iedzn.png

ffxv_s_2023_09_24_22_fbcok.png
See my post above. I am playing the game now. It really doesnt look like that. I will keep playing to see if the lighting gets better once i leave the barren desert region but those LODs on the hills and mountains arent giving me much hope.

SlimySnake

Caption loosley translates to "Not Actual Gameplay"😓

just a reminder. this is what you wanted from a next gen spiderman.

this is what you wouldve gotten if insomniac thought of themselves as a top tier Sony first party studio and took their time making a game instead of rushing this out in 2 years on a last gen engine.

P.S I love how all these cg trailers and ads show destruction but when i ask for destruction, people are like why would you want destruction in a spiderman game.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
just a reminder. this is what you wanted from a next gen spiderman.

this is what you wouldve gotten if insomniac thought of themselves as a top tier Sony first party studio and took their time making a game instead of rushing this out in 2 years on a last gen engine.

P.S I love how all these cg trailers and ads show destruction but when i ask for destruction, people are like why would you want destruction in a spiderman game.

This sequence will definitely be in the game. We'll see how close/far they come to this trailer.

benzy

See my post above. I am playing the game now. It really doesnt look like that. I will keep playing to see if the lighting gets better once i leave the barren desert region but those LODs on the hills and mountains arent giving me much hope.

All of the pics I posted are my shots I took. There are some lighting/weather combinations that look mid. I'm using the debug exe to fast-foward time so I don't have to wait around.

85nju2o.gif

M2jnGse.gif

Lethal01

It looks great but tbh I don't see anything outside the realm of possibility of PS5 being shown

Each fram of that took minutes to render on hardware stronger than PS5. So just about everything about it is out of the realm of possibility for PS5.
No amount of hardwork/time/skill could make up the difference in power.

PeteBull

Dev team (at least ppl at the head)was different in forespoken, even tho both were from square enix luminous productions https://forspoken.fandom.com/wiki/Forspoken vs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Final_Fantasy_XV
Its like u would compare Rare back durning nintendo times to what they became after MS aquisition ;)

Much lower budget and focus on woke stuff(basically 100% black ppl, female black protag made ugly, cringy dialogues etc) made sure priority for the devteam wasnt quality of the game unfortunately.

Top Bottom