• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

yamaci17

Lies of P has 30 fps, 40 fps and 60 fps modes. yes, it would be great to get unlocked fps modes like GOW, but LFC was awful in GOW so 40 fps is what I did.

The 40 fps mode in Lies of P is mostly 4k with some drops to 1800p. I think they did a fantastic job offering multiple modes.
but on PC, with a 120 hz screen, anything between 35-60 fps is smoothly synced to the screen (im sure we are on the same page on this one, aside from the rare cyberpunk case)

shamoomoo

This is basically just a linear map level (similar to the indoor levels) as much of the open world is unloaded.
What Slimy is referring to is having these destructions in the entire open world.
Just like other similar open world games like GTA, Watchdogs, Saint Row, etc.

But no that would actually take effort by Insomniac and won't allow them to pump out DLC as 'new' games in 2 years, while selling them at full price to make more money. So the open world is regulated to being just a backdrop. They are modern day grifters.
You are just saying anything at this point, Spider-Man isn't the hulk so set piece destruction is sufficient. Unless Spider-Man has multiple endings to reflect the symbiote suit,a general level of destruction isn't necessary and none of the previous entries of Spider-Man had the ability to destroy the city.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Sure, it would doable in a way that would leave it looking like Spiderman 2 does. not doable at the level it was done in that trailer which was rendered spending minutes on each frame.

The Venom/Miles/Peter sequence will for sure be in the game. For the sake of keeping everyone honest, why don't you point out the specific visual results of the CG trailer that you think is impossible to replicate on PS5. Provide us with a few frames and/or short video of the most impressive moments for you in the scene and we can all revisit in 2 weeks time.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You are just saying anything at this point, Spider-Man isn't the hulk so set piece destruction is sufficient. Unless Spider-Man has multiple endings to reflect the symbiote suit,a general level of destruction isn't necessary and none of the previous entries of Spider-Man had the ability to destroy the city.

Exactly. Seto, Slimy and others are asking for a current gen Rampage game (which admittedly would be very cool).

alloush

Nah, Ubisoft does the same. They uploaded all the cool gifs from their trailers to their giphy channel following the trailer releases.

These studios choose and cherrypick these shots because they already know they look great. that why they are put in trailers in the first place.
Lemme have it man, lemme think Insomniac see our posts on GAF:messenger_weary:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Exactly. Seto, Slimy and others are asking for a current gen Rampage game (which admittedly would be very cool).
Nah. I just want what they showed in the reveal trailer and the TV spot. People crashing into cars, lamps and basic physics interactions when these super villains and super heroes clash.

Insomniac want them too otherwise they wouldn’t have put them in their marketing promos.

Last edited:

Lethal01

The Venom/Miles/Peter sequence will for sure be in the game. For the sake of keeping everyone honest, why don't you point out the specific visual results of the CG trailer that you think is impossible to replicate on PS5. Provide us with a few frames and/or short video of the most impressive moments for you in the scene and we can all revisit in 2 weeks time.

The lighting is simple more stable and more accurate than any game out there right now not just in the chase but in the miles clip and the clip of peter at the grave.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Yeah, i brought this up when GOW came out and actually had a PS4 preset that let us run the game at PS5 settings. And yet a 1060 and a 6 tflops 580 were being beaten by a 4.2 tflops PS4 Pro in the 1080p 60 fps mode.

To their credit, the porting studio admitted that the game is single threaded and they didnt have time or resources to multithread it with just the 4 person team that ported the game.

I think at the start of the gen, we had several benchmarks of PC games that pegged the PS5 somewhere between a 2080 Super/3060 Ti and a 2070 Super. Depending on the game.

Emphasis added.

Wow! I was wondering how Sony can keep porting games like Sackboy to PC when the number of Steam reviews implies sales were underwhelming. If it only takes 4 people (plus other overhead, of course) to port a game as massive as GOW, that helps explain how it's still viable.

SlimySnake

I watched some of the recent Spiderman 2 previews last night and the games graphics are still barely improved over Miles Morales. Disappointing as fuck
I think the upgrade is substantial but not generational. They have vastly improved the day time lighting here. Traffic is also improved a ton. Reflections are way better. I wouldnt say its as big a leap as say Horizon ZD to Horizon FW but better than GOW 2018 to Ragnorak, TLOU2 to TLOU1, and GT Sports to GT7. The faster traversal speeds give it that edge of Miles as well.

I share your disappointment, but there is enough of an upgrade here from Miles to not be a complete disaster. I think they missed a trick by not doing a HFW style upgrade on the character models. For a cutscene heavy game, it wouldve sold the difference a lot more. MJ seems to be the only one who got a big boost in fidelity. Great hair tech, decent character model. No idea why they cheaped out on everyone else.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The lighting is simple more stable and more accurate than any game out there right now not just in the chase but in the miles clip and the clip of peter at the grave.

Final Fantasy 16 intro achieved very similar lighting quality to SM2 CG trailer where Miles, Peter, and Venom were fighting. Models weren't on the same level, but environment lighting was imo. This is actually a great comparison because they both look to capture the same grounded tone.

Xtib81

The game legitimately looks worse than Assassin's Creed Unity from 2014.

So, we're gonna pretend Unity didn't have to worst LOD transitions in history ? Let's not get into hyperbole territory, at least on consoles the game looks bad by today's standards. Mirage looks like a polished version of Origins.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

So, we're gonna pretend Unity didn't have to worst LOD transitions in history ? Let's not get into hyperbole territory, at least on consoles the game looks bad by today's standards. Mirage looks like a polished version of Origins.

Yeah, Unity is one of those games that looks fucking incredible in screenshots, but falls apart in motion with the awful pop in and draw distance. Wish Ubi would try something that ambitious again though.

Under circumstances though, I agree with the other guy. Unity does look better at times. It’s sad it’s even a contest.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yh Unity is my favorite ac since ac2 but i have played it maxed out on pc and it lacks in certain visual elements that we now take for granted. Great lighting, animations and character models but you can easily tell that it’s an early Gen ps4 game when you boot it up and start running around.

Would love to see a side by side comparison though.

PeteBull

Final Fantasy 16 intro achieved very similar lighting quality to SM2 CG trailer where Miles, Peter, and Venom were fighting. Models weren't on the same level, but environment lighting was imo. This is actually a great comparison because they both look to capture the same grounded tone.
tekken tag intro still looks better in places from real time gameplay of current console games, and that was launch ps2 game, no point to compare newest cgi to how games atm are looking(actual gameplay, not cutscenes/cgi/in engine etc), its colorado canion of gap, i even chose 480p feed instead of 4k remastered version, for fairness :)

SlimySnake

Guys, this is it. This is the matrix awakens moment for video game character faces. this will change gaming forever. (if devs embrace it)

The aloy comparison blew me away. wtf.

pxWjH29.gif

The AI is removing the subtle ND facial animations but the face still looks great.

DtkA1fl.gif

Bethesda games get the biggest upgrade.
KCb6it7.gif

Last edited:
[
Guys, this is it. This is the matrix awakens moment for video game character faces. this will change gaming forever. (if devs embrace it)

pxWjH29.gif

What? No! The Facemorph variants look like freshly botoxed plastic dolls... It completely destroys all the little details. It may be an upgrade in animation in some cases but overall they mainly look completely out of place, like some Instagram filter ...
That tech still has quite a way to go before it is ready for productive use.

Last edited:

Neilg

I'm at unreal fest right now in a talk about what's coming in 5.4 and is set to have a lot of significant performance features, but there's still no way it's as production ready as they claimed 5 would be.
They made so many changes to the core engine that we'll be at 5.8 before it all comes together. They changed too much and it needed more time in the oven.

I think this talk is being currently Livestreamed fyi

E: 5.4 is getting frostbite hair!

Last edited:

DanielG165

Question, and forgive me if it’s a dumb one, but have there been any instances so far where a game as taken advantage of the hyper threading or “SMT” that the Series X’s CPU can utilize? Or has it not really been used that much?

pxWjH29.gif

The AI is removing the subtle ND facial animations but the face still looks great.

DtkA1fl.gif

KCb6it7.gif

The only thing this did is make characters that are purposefully uglied up a bit look like they would’ve if they were modeled in the pre Anita sarkeesian PS360 gen

SlimySnake

Question, and forgive me if it’s a dumb one, but have there been any instances so far where a game as taken advantage of the hyper threading or “SMT” that the Series X’s CPU can utilize? Or has it not really been used that much?
SMT basically unlocks all 16 threads of the xsx cpu. if you disable it, you get a clock boost to 3.8 ghz but you get 8 fewer threads.

my guess is that every game leaves SMT on by default. it would be very silly to disable SMT.

Last edited:
The moment I saw Ubisoft list this game at 50$, I knew immediately this game would completely mid. No way in hell Ubisoft, one of the greediest companies in gaming, would do something decent for its players. Most disappointing gaming company of the decade

SlimySnake

No talk of Forza in this thread today. Not a good look for a next gen premium first party game I guess.

I think it looks good. Better than the last gen version but not the holy shit moment I was expecting. It does a lot of things right. Enhanced lighting, 3d foliage, realtime GI, ray traced reflections and AO, really good weather effects, and yet it is still competing with GT7, a PS4 game. I think it looks better but it should be blowing GT7 away.

I think the problem is that the non-RT mode is native 4k 60 fps. Just like GT7. It's great that they were able to add so many new features while targeting native 4k, but you have to wonder if they couldve pushed it more had they settled for 1440p 60 fps and gotten 2x more GPU power back in return.

The RT mode does that. Cuts resolution down in half to 1512p, but I think thats a gigantic waste of GPU resources just to get RT reflections and RTAO. First of all RT reflections are limited to other cars, nothing else gets reflected. And secondly, RT reflections and RTAO should not be costing 100% more GPU resources. On PCs, RT reflections can have maybe a 35% hit. RTAO is maybe 5-10%. If consoles cant handle basic car reflections and AO without taking up 6 of the 12 tflops GPU then they should be cut altogether. Spend those tflops elsewhere. Get better lighting, more polygons, better weather effects, foliage, whatever they use to get replays looking so good. fuck RT. use ground truth AO. its expensive but not that expensive.

Anyway, I think this is a poster child for spending the GPU resources on all the wrong things. Native 4k, ray tracing, 60 fps (though i guess in a sim racer its pretty much a necessity) . It's a pretty significant leap over their last game, but its giving me spiderman 2 vibes. It's good, but not omg this is next gen great.

JzEfaVn.gif

FMzz7SK.gif

DanielG165

I think that’s the best we’re gonna get in terms of RT on console, and that goes for both Forza and SM2. The fact that both games have RT running during real time gameplay on two consoles that aren’t the best at all at RT is impressive in and of itself, to me. I’ll have to wait and see how FM looks natively next week when it releases to everyone else, but I’m really liking how it visually looks so far. Hopefully, Turn 10 can get the performance nailed down for PC, though. I want to utilize my RT cores without the game absolutely chugging.

SlimySnake

I think that’s the best we’re gonna get in terms of RT on console, and that goes for both Forza and SM2. The fact that both games have RT running during real time gameplay on two consoles that aren’t the best at all at RT is impressive in and of itself, to me. I’ll have to wait and see how FM looks natively next week when it releases to everyone else, but I’m really liking how it visually looks so far. Hopefully, Turn 10 can get the performance nailed down for PC, though. I want to utilize my RT cores without the game absolutely chugging.
performance is fine. people on 4090s running at native 4k 85 fps everything maxed out including rt so 3080s and lower tier 40 series cards should be able to do dlss quality or dlss performance with RT.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm at unreal fest right now in a talk about what's coming in 5.4 and is set to have a lot of significant performance features, but there's still no way it's as production ready as they claimed 5 would be.
They made so many changes to the core engine that we'll be at 5.8 before it all comes together.
They changed too much and it needed more time in the oven.

I think this talk is being currently Livestreamed fyi

E: 5.4 is getting frostbite hair!

Can you expand on this? Is lumen and/or nanite more problematic performance-wise than it is now?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Generational leap?

UbJO29v.gif
I am preparing some comparisons and a small visual review. I gotta say there are moments in this game that are just such a leap over any other racing game last gen. Sure its not perfect and it could be even better if they could have RTGI at launch, but what they achieved is just amazing. And its a game with dynamic tod and weather so yeah not every tod/weather looks stunning or eye catching. But the overall improvements are pretty large, even with the issues im gonna mention and show.

SlimySnake

And its a game with dynamic tod and weather so yeah not every tod/weather looks stunning or eye catching.
I think even when it looks underwhelming, you compare it to gt7 and especially forza 7 and even those drab and dull areas becoming eye catching thanks to the new lighting system.

I am getting the same feeling from spiderman 2 and previously with starfield. RTGI wouldve been better, but the upgrade to the lighting systems in all these next gen only games is really a welcome addition. they might not look like the matrix, but you only need to put them side by side with last gen games to see the difference.

Melfice7

pxWjH29.gif

DtkA1fl.gif

KCb6it7.gif

Looks awful on well animated ones like uncharted (cant even imagine on tlou 2) and looks decent on crappy animated ones like starfield

Edder1

Generational leap?

UbJO29v.gif
With a bit of tweaking to lighting it could be a real looker, but right now at times (night is too dark, looking poor during fog and rain, looking a bit bland during overcast conditions) it doesn't look all that. During wel lit daylight conditions the game can look stunning, but too me the colours still have too much contrast and give that Horizon 5 arcadey look. Track detail is real nice and big improvement from last gen, although some textures look flat and low res. This is obviously an Early Access release without them saying it is.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Posted in the next gen racing thread but will also pot it here.
Finally played the game couple hours so now i had a good look at the graphics. There are lots of good things to say but there ae also some bad things. Lets start with the bad things. i played it maxed out on pc btw.

The bad
- IQ is not so clean, im not sure if they use the latest DLSS2. There are trails and rough edges on track objects when in motion.
- RT reflections are quarter rez, even on pc maxed out which is a shame since pc has always potential to have better hardware later on. So why limit it for the pc players. Also they can look a bit fuzzy in heavy motion. And semi glossy surface don't have RT reflections.
- Where is the motion blur in the cockpit view.
- RTAO is bugged right now, it doesn't work at night
- Circuit lights don't create self shadows on cars during night. They do however create self shadows in the cockpit which is nice.
- Some track textures like grass and mud are a bit lower quality on some tracks.
- Cockpit rain effects are improved but still not on the level of modded AC or DC.

The good
- The lighting is soo good, dynamic lighting at this quality is just chef kiss. RTAO really helps to ground everything, it looks also top notch in the cockpit. Youtubers and reviewers have really fucked up there footage.
- RT reflections add alot during chase cam and cockpit view, even if its not perfect as mentioned. Cars with shiney interiors have amazing self reflections that reflect everyhting perfectly accurate especially at night. During chase cam it looks really good when you are in a large grid and the all the car reflect of each other which look good. And the way the car reflects itself makes everything more grounded. And the cubemaps on pc also look really good on cars, one of the better ones.
- The track side detail are the best out there, there is soo much stuf going on and it all looks good. There is even parallax occlusion mapping on track surfaces which looks amazing and adds lots of depth.
- Best foliage and trees out of any sim, it looks soo good. The way it reacts to light and wind which animates soo good. There are also soo much different looking trees which looks incredible.
- Spectators are fully 3d and full animated which looks great during races on oval tracks. They make some smoke and confetti show which give them more depth.
- Most textures are improved and they are more realistic and accurate to track its based on.
- The material shaders are soo much improved its literally one of the best i have seen. Every material is high quality and has a unique look. And this time there is lots of more variations in different materials. Also the car paint shaders are finally up there with the best. And the way they rendered there headlights and brake lights are finally on GT level on most cars.
- Weather effects are improved and they have lots of high quality effects like the spray and track surfaces. The volumetric lights really blend well with the weather effects.
- Car models have been improved, they have more detail and better shaders which look incredible during gameplay.
- Smoke effects are also improved, they are really high quality and volumetric which reacts light and shadows.
- Sense of speed, i was like gaddamn when i first drove a fast car. This is the first sim that gave me this feeling of speed.
- The motion blur in 3d person is really high quality.
- Replays are also improved drastically, more depth of field and cinematic camera angles.

Here are some screen i took during my gameplay

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-2-27-48.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-2-31-23.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-40-19.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-41-36.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-03-42.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-2-59-59.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-1-59-55.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-2-05-45.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-43-49.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-5-10-2023-3-39-11.jpg

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I don't think it's hyperbole at all whatsoever to say that Unity looks better than Mirage:

I know this is a graphic thread, and I'm just a lurker, but what I really noticed is the camera is so much more smooth in Unity. Mirage feels like every movement the camera moves with you and it's really disjointed. In Unity it feels like the camera follows you not attached to you.

Lethal01

We have surpassed the original Toy Story in all aspects…
Yeah I was mostly joking on that, the point though is that we are nowhere near CGI from this decade, but obviously if you go back far enough realtime Graphics do win
Models weren't on the same level, but environment lighting was imo. This is actually a great comparison because they both look to capture the same grounded tone.
Your opinion is wrong and you should be ashamed,

FF16 isn't even full realtime, the large scale battles use prerendered scenes, and those scene clearly have better lighting than the normal gameplay and cutscenes.

FF16 has the same laudry list of issues as just about every other game, objects don't cast shadows, making them glow, or objects don't receive proper bounced light, either making them glow or making them to dark, their lighting function is innacurate, make there response to light innacurate either way.

They aren't using raytraced GI or raytraced reflections in ff16, not even raytraced IO, it's most likely the usual GI probes.

too many innacuracies to count, the CGI is a light year ahead.

Can we please just appreciate that we are doing better than the ps4 generation, instead of constantly trying to claim with have achieved photorealism and are now matching CGI when we just aren't there and won't be there for a while.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

pxWjH29.gif

DtkA1fl.gif

KCb6it7.gif

That's it guys, we completely fucking lost him.

Even worse when he was bragging about the vanilla sarah not looking bad...he needed plastic doll sarah to realize that vanilla looked like a 60 years old cunt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom