• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

New pic and video. Better? I will edit in a bit with notes to explain my issues with the demo and comparison with SM2

XREjfd3.jpg

Thank you for the constant reminder of how absolutely mind blowing The Matrix demo looks

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
But both games are upscaled and the Matrix demo was the second showing of UE5, Rift Apart was the first next gen game by Insomniac Games with a cross gen and port of the first Spider-Man game. I fail to see how this isn't a fair comparison? There were more updates to UE5 before before Spider-Man 2 release that made the engine more efficient for games.

You missed the point. He posted compressed image in 1080p of Matrix demo and wanted to make a comparison to 4k direct screen capture of Spider-Man. It’s not even about what looks better, it’s about principle and honest comparison.

Thank you for the constant reminder of how absolutely mind blowing The Matrix demo looks

Regarding night time experimental lighting: I’m just good at taking screenshots, it doesn’t look this nice 99% of the time. The biggest problem is that building lights are way, way too bright.

Day time looks wild. It’s amazing. And the sense of scale when you walk around, look up and see towering skyscrapers is unmatched.

Last edited:

hinch7

To be clear, I don't think night time in Matrix Demo looks good. Not at all. But first of all, it would be nice to mention that it is in experimental phase. Second, it would help to share a full resolution image and not some compressed, pixelated mess. That's it.

No, it's not. You accused me of trying hard to downplay Spider-Man 2 but it just seems like you're projecting. I've posted a lot of beautiful shots from that game (more than you). Your comparison with Matrix was garbage and you know it. Stop acting stupid.

Edit: this is the image quality that can be captured from that demo running on PS5. How do I know it? I just took that screenshot.

F9Ed1_rXkAAfqVQ
Comparing the two is dumb anyway since one is a tech demo to showcase its graphics potential and feature sets. The other is a full game. Lets stop this bickering perhaps?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Comparing the two is dumb anyway since one is a tech demo to showcase its graphics potential and feature sets. The other is a full game. Lets stop this bickering perhaps?

I disagree. This is a graphics thread and the matrix awakens demo has been the de facto litmus test benchmark for current gen. These are the type of discussions this thread was made for.

hinch7

Just saying one is a tech demo designed to showcase its potential to end users. And its engine still in development. The other is a game that's already out with an engine that runs really well on current generation hardware. Whereas UE5 tanks on even totl hardware on desktop PC's. Try driving around in that Matrix demo your FPS tanks, and if any collision it goes into the teens. Its a demo, not a game.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Why other developers can't just copy nanite tech from UE5
4owcj3.png
Virtualized geometry is definitely something all toptier devs will be implementing in their engines as the gen advances, unfortunately, epic was more proactive in r&d which left the other dev teams happy to cling onto their comfortable last gen pipeline. It also has some shortfalls that are being worked on like organic objects and epic themselves have alot to improve upon in terms of optimization.

Last edited:

Xtib81

I'm afraid the Matrix demo won't be topped before the end of the gen, if we're lucky. In daytime it looks photorealistic. However, props to IG for rendering NYC with such a high fidelity with RT at 60fps, nobody has been able to do that so far. I should also mention that they release games quickly. If I have to wait almost a fucking decade for a sequel, I'd rather take less impressive games every 3 years.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
SlimySnake SlimySnake
here's a weird comparison for u lol
IMG1820 ps5 spiderman remastered fidelity mode
IMG1819 ps5 spiderman 2 fidelity mode

rest is miles morales with various ray tracing pc options (at 4K dlss performance)

this here shows u that some of the improvements were built upon the work they did for PC versions

These are a bit funny:

PC high crowd density spawns a lot more NPCs compared to PS5 spiderman 2, but the car rate stays calm.

I wonder if DF will compare spiderman remastered/miles morales maxed on PC versus spiderman 2 on PS5.
I think the difference is rt reflections is massive. I am so glad that they got rid of the smudy and iced windows. now glass reflects like glass. its fantastic.

the crowd is fine here. i think they simply changed the spawn rates in different areas. The crowds in brooklyn and queens are way more dense and expressive than in the PS5 remasters. This is easily the best crowd work ive seen in a game. PS5 remaster had the density but they were basically walking around wearing the same clothes all the time. Here they are doing so many different things, its all super impressive. Matrix has better NPC models but spiderman 2 has better overall NPC behavior.

I will record a clip. I just love walking around in queens. Went to a park to take a picture and people were playing basketball, chess and there were dozens of people gathered around watching people play.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

GymWolf GymWolf Played for around 2 hours flying around manhattan and definitely saw some weird shimmering/dithering even while standing still. This was in 30 fps fidelity mode which is supposed to be native 4k most of the time, but instead of aliasing the whole image, it was affecting some buildings and not others. Something is definitely bugged. I would not be surprised because ive seen some very funny bugs already. game is polished but definitely not without its issues. Ive seen NPCs using phones without holding actual phones. Ive seen cars and tracks going inside each other in a fucked up gangbang. floating cups. and now some bizarre shimmering that only seems to affect certain buildings.

Edit: another bug. This time they had me take a picture of a dude playing a guitar but the dude was missing so all we saw was a floating guitar. Too funny.

Last edited:

RNK

Man, spider-man 2 can look so damn good sometimes, but it's REALLY let down by the(and I'm not exaggerating here), HORRIBLE character models. It's as if they're all made of clay or something. Soft with not standout features. I'm really at a loss as to what could have happened. I feel like the first game, and Miles Morales, had significantly better character models, not to mention other Sony exclusives from Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.

It's really a shame because if the character models matched the rest of the visuals, it would look FAR better overall.

SlimySnake

Trees look great. reflections straight up look SSR.

F9FGhM5XMAATCFP

F9FGi48X0AABPjx

F9FGiPuXAAAABov

Man, spider-man 2 can look so damn good sometimes, but it's REALLY let down by the(and I'm not exaggerating here), HORRIBLE character models. It's as if they're all made of clay or something. Soft with not standout features. I'm really at a loss as to what could have happened. I feel like the first game, and Miles Morales, had significantly better character models, not to mention other Sony exclusives from Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.

It's really a shame because if the character models matched the rest of the visuals, it would look FAR better overall.
Just saw a cutscene with Miles where he takes off his mask and man, i swear it looks worse than he did in the last game. Just very plasticy and cartoony.

Its definitely weird because they upgraded so many other things in the game.

RNK

There's a whole sequence in SM 2 that you play as MJ, and her character model through the whole thing looks great. It's like night and day from previous cutscenes. I'm really starting to wonder if it's some kind of bug or something. It's just hard to believe that the game could be THIS inconsistent from a dev team that's usually super polished.

Lethal01

This and nothing comes even close. :messenger_savoring:

It's really sad always seeing graphical improvements always happen in the most bland uninspired shit.

For me it's like a 7 year wait , first they show a random tech demo with great graphics, then they put out some visually impressive but incredibly boring games like Horizon,Cyberpunk or that space prison game then a decade later I get to be hyped about seeing those graphics in something that's actually worth caring about.

The graphics in this clip are just okay though, their server tech is what's actually kinda neat.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It's really sad always seeing graphical improvements always happen in the most bland uninspired shit.

For me it's like a 7 year wait , first they show a random tech demo with great graphics, then they put out some visually impressive but incredibly boring games like Horizon,Cyberpunk or that space prison game then a decade later I get to be hyped about seeing those graphics in something that's actually worth caring about.

The graphics in this clip are just okay though, their server tech is what's actually kinda neat.
Blame Nintendo for holding back their devs.

Let’s hope switch 2 is at least as powerful as a ps4 and we should start seeing great graphics in some truly innovative games.

Lethal01

Let’s hope switch 2 is at least as powerful as a ps4 and we should start seeing great graphics in some truly innovative games.
Most games I like aren't even Nintendo exclusives. I'll blame the devs who are actually able to achieve great visuals for not making great games to go with them.

The switch 2 has potential to be a worse knee cap than the series S.

If it becomes a mainstay for multiplats it would basically make this Gen a write off

SlimySnake

The switch 2 has potential to be a worse knee cap than the series S.

If it becomes a mainstay for multiplats it would basically make this Gen a write off
nah, look at alan wake 2 and avatar. no dev is going to use series s as the lowest common denominator. ps5 seems to be that and series s is just downgraded to oblivion.

they will do the same with switch 2. However Nintendo games built on ps4 era hardware should look stunning.

nah, look at alan wake 2 and avatar. no dev is going to use series s as the lowest common denominator. ps5 seems to be that and series s is just downgraded to oblivion.

they will do the same with switch 2. However Nintendo games built on ps4 era hardware should look stunning.
I just wonder how far stuff can scale if it’s basically a PS4 ya know what I’m saying? It’s would essentially make the whole Gen cross Gen for multiplats

SlimySnake

The ASM suit looks amazing during gameplay but you need to be next to lights to make it pop. Dont know why devs dont implement hero lighting after GG did it to such great effect a year and a half ago.

F9FhqbRXkAAEo05

These plants really stood out. Dont know if they were behind the refractive glass, but I legit had to stop and do a double take. This area in general was stunning, but I couldnt help but compare it to starfield's interiors. Starfield looks better i think. Just way better modeling and indoor lighting.

F9FhraHXIAAVgmM

I honestly cant believe how bad Miles' skin looks in cutscenes. his uncle looks way better. I am not sure what happened here. It legit looks incomplete. Both Peter and Harry looked great at the lab even during gameplay.

F9Fhr24XEAAQlwL

This is from the previous game.
spider-man-miles-morales-ps5-review-miles.jpg

This was the bullshot they released at the Miles reveal to fool us into thinking Miles was next gen only. Well, spiderman 2 is next gen only. why cant we get this??

Marvels-Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-WP.jpg

ckstine

I'm going to be honest and say that I think the Matrix Demo isn't as impressive as it is made out to be *but* Spiderman 2 is unimpressive, and I think most of us knew it would be. It is pretty much the Seinfeld Two Face conundrum distilled perfectly into a videogame, issue being that the ugly side is really ugly, and the pretty side is slightly above average. I just hope this means everyone will stop kissing Insomniac's asses.

RNK

I'm going to be honest and say that I think the Matrix Demo isn't as impressive as it is made out to be *but* Spiderman 2 is unimpressive, and I think most of us knew it would be. It is pretty much the Seinfeld Two Face conundrum distilled perfectly into a videogame, issue being that the ugly side is really ugly, and the pretty side is slightly above average. I just hope this means everyone will stop kissing Insomniac's asses.
There is a lot in this game that is VERY good looking. The problem is, the stuff that is bad, is really bad. What's most puzzling is the models for every non human character are really good. I have no idea what they were thinking with the human ones though..

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This thread
That didn’t make an iota of sense, Chief but then again you think Spidey 2 looks good which renders your opinion invalid

I'm telling you brother SM2 is the real deal. Have you purchased yet? What's funny to me is people always get in my case for hyping up cinematics. Spider-Man 2 is the first game I've ever played where gameplay looks better than the cutscenes 99% of the time.

Honestly I feel like i'm playing a movie. It blows past wven the first UE5 PS5 demo because it's actual gameplay and the scenery is far more interesting. If anyone can show me ANY gameplay from UE5 that matches or exceeds this I will back down.

SlimySnake

There's a whole sequence in SM 2 that you play as MJ, and her character model through the whole thing looks great. It's like night and day from previous cutscenes. I'm really starting to wonder if it's some kind of bug or something. It's just hard to believe that the game could be THIS inconsistent from a dev team that's usually super polished.
Well the game isn’t super polished. I’ve had bugs in this game that i didn’t even get in days gone or mass effect andromeda. Mostly minor glitches but i don’t expect this from insomniac.

The thing is that the game is massive, made in 2.5 years and features some truly mind blowing scenes. Most of the bugs I’ve seen are with npcs and they have done a remarkable job with their variety. So naturally some stuff snuck through.

In regards to cutscenes, they probably didn’t have enough time to Polish all of them. Some of the cutscenes look prerendered they look so good while others feel straight up incomplete. It’s obvious the tech is here. Just weren’t given enough time. 6 more months in the oven and the game would’ve been a masterpiece.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This thread

I'm telling you brother SM2 is the real deal. Have you purchased yet? What's funny to me is people always get in my case for hyping up cinematics. Spider-Man 2 is the first game I've ever played where gameplay looks better than the cutscenes 99% of the time.

Honestly I feel like i'm playing a movie. It blows past wven the first UE5 PS5 demo because it's actual gameplay and the scenery is far more interesting. If anyone can show me ANY gameplay from UE5 that matches or exceeds this I will back down.

Daytime is probably when it looks the best to me. It used to be evening. But man, that shit looks crazy during the day. I think night time actually looks the worst. I do miss the snow from Miles Morales.
Its the best looking city Ive ever seen in a game.

But the cutscenes and VFX leave much to be desired. If this game was released in March 2024, it would be on a whole other level.

If this was a SSM or ND game, they would have taken the extra time. TLOU 2 got delayed twice for polish. (and its the most polished AAA game ever made). Ragnarok also extremely polished. Insomniac had to hit that fall release target.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Edit: another bug. This time they had me take a picture of a dude playing a guitar but the dude was missing so all we saw was a floating guitar. Too funny.

Same thing happened to me. You're supposed to take a picture of people playing basketball, the only thing that I saw was a floating ball ^^ I've had several similar bugs so far..

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well the game isn’t super polished. I’ve had bugs in this game that i didn’t even get in days gone or mass effect andromeda. Mostly minor glitches but i don’t expect this from insomniac.

The thing is that the game is massive, made in 2.5 years and features some truly mind blowing scenes. Most of the bugs I’ve seen are with npcs and they have done a remarkable job with their variety. So naturally some stuff snuck through.

In regards to cutscenes, they probably didn’t have enough time to Polish all of them. Some of the cutscenes look prerendered they look so good while others feel straight up incomplete. It’s obvious the tech is here. Just weren’t given enough time. 6 more months in the oven and the game would’ve been a masterpiece.
The game is not remotely as big as the big boys open worlds, this is why they can make them so fast (and recycle combat and stealth from other games AND using an already established universe)

Of course you can reduce dev times when quest givers look like ps4 launch models and you don't have nearly as much as stuff like ac, days gone or horizon or w3.

The main story can be done in 10 hours, try to do the same on those other games.

Didn't we already discussed why insomniac can make so many games? Cmon.

Last edited:
There is a lot in this game that is VERY good looking. The problem is, the stuff that is bad, is really bad. What's most puzzling is the models for every non human character are really good. I have no idea what they were thinking with the human ones though..
I was on my phone this entire time looking at the Spider-man 2 content in this thread. However, I'm now at my desktop looking at some of the same content and the game looks like absolute ass and it's because of the weak fidelity on the assets.

O5ML5iL.jpg

h7suwXV.jpg

At my desktop they need higher fidelity assets, but on my phone Spider-man 2 looks fine.

alloush

This thread

Are these your clips, Chief? Not gonna lie this looked good. No I haven’t purchased it yet, been occupied with a few things but this week I am getting it the hype is killing me!

Top Bottom