• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

So the verdict seems to be that when Spidey 2 hits it hits hard and can look gorgeous meaning a few extra months of polish woulda made the game look absolutely mind-blowing. This gives me hope honestly for the future, with an upgraded engine, more time, totally removing the bottlenecks of last gen (cuz I still have a feeling last gen was factored in when making this game), and some criticism which I am sure have gotten to the devs will lead to some gorgeous shit.

Edit: also I’d like to add, you guys spoiled the fact Black Cat is in the game lol, I really thought she wasn’t gonna be, woulda been a nice surprise. Start using them spoiler tags more. Anywho, I should get the game soon!

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Are these your clips, Chief? Not gonna lie this looked good. No I haven’t purchased it yet, been occupied with a few things but this week I am getting it the hype is killing me!

It looks good when you’re zipping through the city. If you liked the 2 previous games, this is more of the same and you’ll like it too.

alloush

It looks good when you’re zipping through the city. If you liked the 2 previous games, this is more of the same and you’ll like it too.
Nice. Yeah I loved the first two honestly, but not for the graphics I just thought they were well-made superhero games, I am usually not very into the superhero stuff. I know I am gonna like this one, too, but Insomniac coming short on graphics might be a bummer due to the high expectations I had for the visuals.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Nice. Yeah I loved the first two honestly, but not for the graphics I just thought they were well-made superhero games, I am usually not very into the superhero stuff. I know I am gonna like this one, too, but Insomniac coming short on graphics might be a bummer due to the high expectations I had for the visuals.

I don't mind the graphical side of things. It's good enough. Yes, I was critical in this thread but in all honesty: game looks good. Inconsistent, but good.

My biggest disappointment is how stale the formula is. Mission design. Encounters. Side activities. Combat. Been there, done that.

Anyway, playing other open world games and then going back to Cyberpunk truly makes you appreciate the detail this game is packing. This is a random NPC pedestrian (not involved in any quest or anything really), that looks better than main characters in other games:

ltyXEDX.jpg

Edit: 2 more. Insane. I never even paid attention. Truly insane.

ZQPEW20.jpg

SjDHA1K.jpg

Last edited:

alloush

I don't mind the graphical side of things. It's good enough. Yes, I was critical in this thread but in all honesty: game looks good. Inconsistent, but good.

My biggest disappointment is how stale the formula is. Mission design. Encounters. Side activities. Combat. Been there, done that.

Anyway, playing other open world games and then going back to Cyberpunk truly makes you appreciate the detail this game is packing. This is a random NPC pedestrian (not involved in any quest or anything really), that looks better than main characters in other games:

ltyXEDX.jpg

ZQPEW20.jpg

SjDHA1K.jpg
I’ve been critical of CP but this is some wonderful stuff, man. I feel like trying the game out myself as I’ve never played it. Your screen grab game is ace!

amigastar

I know it's not technically that great but Mario Wonder has to be one of the best platformers I have seen, and visually more appealing than quite a few next gen games I have played recently. Makes me really excited for what they could do with the Switch 2.
Yeah, Nintendo games always look good considering how ancient their hardware is. A new 3D Mario on Switch 2 will look fabulous for sure.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This is exactly why devs phone it in. This guy was responding to a question about whether spidey 2 feels next gen enough or not and this guy's response is exactly what we have been saying and people jumped him like hounding dogs:

fd7Ndum.jpg

The only next-gen feeling thing about it is the speed at which you can traverse at… which was achieved thanks to massive reuse of last-gen assets. If this is a good or bad thing is up to individual.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I know it's not technically that great but Mario Wonder has to be one of the best platformers I have seen, and visually more appealing than quite a few next gen games I have played recently. Makes me really excited for what they could do with the Switch 2.

I’ve seen some 4k footage running on a PC and it looks wonderful.

sinnergy

ltyXEDX.jpg

ZQPEW20.jpg

SjDHA1K.jpg
That is because people went into negative mode .. happens a lot these days. Instead to appreciate what good there was.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So the verdict seems to be that when Spidey 2 hits it hits hard and can look gorgeous meaning a few extra months of polish woulda made the game look absolutely mind-blowing. This gives me hope honestly for the future, with an upgraded engine, more time, totally removing the bottlenecks of last gen (cuz I still have a feeling last gen was factored in when making this game), and some criticism which I am sure have gotten to the devs will lead to some gorgeous shit.

Edit: also I’d like to add, you guys spoiled the fact Black Cat is in the game lol, I really thought she wasn’t gonna be, woulda been a nice surprise. Start using them spoiler tags more. Anywho, I should get the game soon!
It never hits remotely as high as horizon or other games.

Yesterday i did the most graphical impressive section yet and it just looked good bordering on great, not exceptional and sure as hell no mindblowing\nextgen.

We know why chief does that but i have no idea what the other people are smoking.

It may be the fact that with so much mediocrity around the game, the few good spots are overly praised, i'm thinking about slimy calling black cat model exceptional or whatever just because the other women look like absolute shit.

How is it called this specific syndrome? Modified stockholm? Reverse sanchez?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The game is not remotely as big as the big boys open worlds, this is why they can make them so fast (and recycle combat and stealth from other games AND using an already established universe)

Of course you can reduce dev times when quest givers look like ps4 launch models and you don't have nearly as much as stuff like ac, days gone or horizon or w3.

The main story can be done in 10 hours, try to do the same on those other games.

Didn't we already discussed why insomniac can make so many games? Cmon.
I am comparing it to HFW, Far Cry, Hogwarts, and Starfield. I dont really care if you can finish this main campaign in 10 hours. I am around 8 hours and only 15% done. There is plenty of stuff to do here.

Every game recycles stuff from past games. The only difference here is that they recycled half of the map from the original, but thats about it. Everything else feels new and original. The NPC behavior is way more advanced and varied than Spiderman 1. The traffic density is insane. Every story mission features new locations and insane setpieces that SSM left out of ragnorak because they are too hard to make.

I used to post the Matrix traffic jam clip here all the time. Didnt think Spiderman 2 will have something similar.

I got that DLC feeling from other games. Not this one. Yes, the character models look like PS4 but I am not going to ignore all the other next gen things its doing that HFW, GOW, and other last gen sequels werent doing.

alloush

It may be the fact that with so much mediocrity around the game, the few good spots are overly praised, i'm thinking about slimy calling black cat model exceptional or whatever just because the other women look like absolute shit.
This part, man this part is so very true. To be fair to the game I haven’t played it myself yet but I have a great idea of how it looks like now but still gotta see it myself to see what’s up. But yeah that’s some great critical thinking right there, who said Sicilians were all about brute force?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It never hits remotely as high as horizon or other games.

Yesterday i did the most graphical impressive section yet and it just looked good bordering on great, not exceptional and sure as hell no mindblowing\nextgen.

We know why chief does that but i have no idea what the other people are smoking.

SM2 highs blow past HFW/HBS. How anyone can excuse Burning Shores slow traversal AND terrible pop-in after playing SM2 is beyond me. Impossible to go back and enjoy.

alloush

I am comparing it to HFW, Far Cry, Hogwarts, and Starfield. I dont really care if you can finish this main campaign in 10 hours. I am around 8 hours and only 15% done. There is plenty of stuff to do here.

Every game recycles stuff from past games. The only difference here is that they recycled half of the map from the original, but thats about it. Everything else feels new and original. The NPC behavior is way more advanced and varied than Spiderman 1. The traffic density is insane. Every story mission features new locations and insane setpieces that SSM left out of ragnorak because they are too hard to make.

I used to post the Matrix traffic jam clip here all the time. Didnt think Spiderman 2 will have something similar.

I got that DLC feeling from other games. Not this one. Yes, the character models look like PS4 but I am not going to ignore all the other next gen things its doing that HFW, GOW, and other last gen sequels werent doing.

That video is private Slimy cannot check it out!

GymWolf

Gold Member
SM2 highs blow past HFW/HBS. How anyone can excuse Burning Shores slow traversal AND terrible pop-in after playing SM2 is beyond me. Impossible to go back and enjoy.
Except horizon selling point is not high speed web slinging\flying, never was, you can't even fight while on the birds, cmon, they are literally introduced as a mechanic when the story is ending, it speaks volume about how important it is in the economy of the game, i was not even talking about burning shores because you just need the vanilla horizon to demolish sp2.

Sp2 literally only nextgen aspect is the ssd use in a sea of mediocrity, it is never gonna touch stuff like horizon or cyberpunk or hell, even ratchet.

I'm constantly on a loss of words with this game, and not for good reasons.
As you can see i have no problem praising other sony games graphic so i have no hide agenda against sp2, i'm speaking my butt out.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Except horizon selling point is not high speed web slinging\flying, never was, you can't even fight while on the birds, cmon.

Sp2 literally only nextgen aspect is the ssd use in a sea of mediocrity, it is never gonna touch stuff like horizon or cyberpunk or hell, even ratchet.

Bro stop it lol. We all wanted and expected faster traversal with the sunwing. Remember the discussions and anticipation when this trailer dropped?

Sunwing speeds and mounts in general ended up being embarrassingly slow AND THERE WAS STILL POP IN AND SILLY FOG COVERAGE WITH THE SLOW SPEED!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Bro stop it lol. We all wanted and expected faster traversal with the sunwing. Remember the discussions and anticipation when this trailer dropped?

Sunwing speeds and mounts in general ended up being embarrassingly slow AND THERE WAS STILL POP IN AND SILLY FOG COVERAGE WITH THE SLOW SPEED!

I edited my post, read again, I was not talking about burning shores but vanilla horizon and you get the birds at the end of the game, this is how centric of a mechanic it is, please stop being ridicolous buddy, you are grasping at straws comparing the importance of fast traversal in spidey and horizon.
Just the amount of sidequest about traversal in spidey and horizon should be a dead give away for anyone with a brain, flying in horizon is a second thought AT BEST.

I probably used the birds for like 10 min then never used them again because you can't do shit while on board, no combat, no loot, no nothing.

As i said, i don't need to talk about burning shores because vanilla horizon is enough to utterly destroy sp2.

But i love how you can't even lie about sp2 doing something special other than ssd usage, at least we are on the same register here :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
NICK930 states the reason for the muddy look stems from the suit moving like it's bubbling/oozing.
I'm sure that is the reason, it's not like the game has generally poor models for almost every character.

Maybe all the characters are alien symbiotes? I haven't finished the game yet so maybe that is the final cliffhanger...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I was only talking about Venom.
I know, but on a game with poor models, a special explanation for venom seems kinda reduntant, it looks bad because they all look bad seems like the most logic explanation.

Movie venom doesn't look as shit as that so we know that high level graphic\art design with a symbionte suit is possible.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
But i love how you can't even lie about sp2 doing something special other than ssd usage, at least we are on the same register here

1. The RT reflections have been taken to a higher level both on buildings but especially the river.

2. The global illumination while not RT is still a significant leap.

Overall it is the best looking game on console when it comes to moment to moment gameplay. I admit the cinematics are bad and a step down from last 2 SM games. That's the first thing I said but people have more laughs with the idea that Dada is a diehard SM2 apologist.

This is exactly why devs phone it in. This guy was responding to a question about whether spidey 2 feels next gen enough or not and this guy's response is exactly what we have been saying and people jumped him like hounding dogs:

fd7Ndum.jpg
I believe he played, but if he doesn't think they did anything with Dualsense then he's just not paying attention. Stuff is constantly happening with the haptics.

alloush

Sorry, mistakenly changed the other video of NPCs to unlisted. I have gone back and made both videos unlisted.

here is the traffic jam.

Here is the NPCs.

Gorgeous stuff. I’ve been longing for an open world game with tons of NPCs and very dense traffic. Part of the reason why I loved The Matrix demo as it had a lotta NPCs and tons of cars it made the world feel so alive. Long this may continue!

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Gorgeous stuff. I’ve been longing for an open world game with tons of NPCs and very dense traffic. Part of the reason why I loved The Matrix demo as it had a lotta NPCs and tons of cars it made the world feel so alive. Long this may continue!

This game doesn't disappoint when it comes to traffic and pedestrian density. Yes, the models are last-gen but the variety is pretty good and when you're swinging at high speeds it looks really, really cool!

Buggy Loop

I'm playing Spider-Man 2 again and I'm not sure how this cape works. Could use that cloth simulation tech.

F9IrCz4W0AAzR5V

This is ... comical

I've been saying for a while now, but, most super eye candy games neglect physics and big time. Not spider-man 2 alone but most of them. I feel we have almost regressed from the early 2000's with the likes of F.E.A.R. / Crysis / Half-Life 2 / Red faction.

Can it truly be next-gen when everything is in textures and shaders, but almost an empty bucket for physics and AI? Just a question in general for this thread's most lurking peoples. I feel like graphics are chasing the wrong things. No matter how much details you put in geometry and textures, I feel that's a bottleneck if believability in the physics details and lighting (so RT/Path tracing) are generations behind. Just IMHO.

GymWolf

Gold Member
1. The RT reflections have been taken to a higher level both on buildings but especially the river.

2. The global illumination while not RT is still a significant leap.

Overall it is the best looking game on console when it comes to moment to moment gameplay. I admit the cinematics are bad and a step down from last 2 SM games. That's the first thing I said but people have more laughs with the idea that Dada is a diehard SM2 apologist.
No it's not, but it's cute to think otherwise.

Reflections still look like shit, believe me, you don't want to see the pic i took of these "improved reflections" in fidelity mode.
And i already posted pics of reflections that look low poly as fuck, so at best they are highly uneven.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Nah, the game is way smaller, if you play slow and get 50 hours out of it it just means that you get double the hours from bigger games, the fact that it's way smaller doesn't change a bit just because you are a slow gamer.

It is the same reason why death stranding was made in 3 years, small, barely any npcs, low amount of content, it could have been done in 2 years if the fart sniffer didn't had to accomodate the schedule of hollywood actors most probably.

The npcs feels exactly the same, they walk, sometimes they have unique animations and their reaction to close danger is barely better than starfield, nothing advanced or noteworthy in their behaviour unless this is the first open world you ever played,, you can't actually "interact" with them like you do with npcs in rockstar games or watch dogs or past bethesda games, they are still set dressing npcs instead of active npcs, and you know that, don't give me that shit dude :lollipop_squinting:

Infamous 1 npcs were more advanced because they praised you or threw stuff at you depending on the karma (and you could actually hurt them), they can't even fucking have npcs that hate spidey because they believe what JJ says, that would have been a cool addiction, to have different npcs hating or loving spidey, as of now, they are utterly unremarkable.

Thank fucking god ragnarock didn't had many moments like the sandman battle, that shit was a new low when it comes to "cinematic gameplay", i know it's hard to believe for you, but some devs prefer to have engaging boss fights that request actual skill to be beaten over shitty spectacle boss fights with no gameplay value whatsoever, there is no right choice, you like the latter, i like the former.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This is ... comical

I've been saying for a while now, but, most super eye candy games neglect physics and big time. Not spider-man 2 alone but most of them. I feel we have almost regressed from the early 2000's with the likes of F.E.A.R. / Crysis / Half-Life 2 / Red faction.

Can it truly be next-gen when everything is in textures and shaders, but almost an empty bucket for physics and AI? Just a question in general for this thread's most lurking peoples. I feel like graphics are chasing the wrong things. No matter how much details you put in geometry and textures, I feel that's a bottleneck if believability in the physics details and lighting (so RT/Path tracing) are generations behind. Just IMHO.

Swinging in SM2 is physics based with available slider. Wouldn’t that area be the most sensible for a game like this? I don't know the context of Mid's picture but the cape simulation I've personally experienced during normal gameplay is very good.

Not directed at you Buggy, but the nitpicking is ridiculous at this point. Do we expect games to do everything well in all areas? What other game or developer has embraced current gen tech at a higher degree than SM2/Insomniac?

Buggy Loop

Swinging in SM2 is physics based with available slider.

Haven't played it, only SM1 but what do you mean with slider?

Wouldn’t that area be the most sensible for a game like this? I don't know the context of Mid's picture but the cape simulation I've personally experienced during normal gameplay is very good.

Not directed at you Buggy, but the nitpicking is ridiculous at this point. Do we expect games to do everything well in all areas? What other game or developer has embraced current gen tech at a higher degree than SM2/Insomniac?

I'm not expecting games to do everything well in all areas but, its clear cut that physics are kind on the side compared to everything else. Kind of makes me sad as i have a lot of good memories of the games in early 2000's that pushed new ground in physics and AI.

Looking into it and it seems Spider-man has put more effort than many games anyway for cloths

But that one screenshot above is just a comical consequence to probably not just thinking of every scenarios.

Swinging around the city at warp speed feels fantastic and is fun as hell, and certainly seems to look very good. If the trade off is that some reflections look ugly if I slow down to look at them then I'd say it's a good deal. I would never even notice this stuff if people didn't post them. Can't have it all, and Insomniac definitely has a good sense of where to focus their energy.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Haven't played it, only SM1 but what do you mean with slider?

I'm not expecting games to do everything well in all areas but, its clear cut that physics are kind on the side compared to everything else. Kind of makes me sad as i have a lot of good memories of the games in early 2000's that pushed new ground in physics and AI.

Looking into it and it seems Spider-man has put more effort than many games anyway for cloths

But that one screenshot above is just a comical consequence to probably not just thinking of every scenarios.

You have web swining assist, from off to 10.

It is still not fully physics based like spidey 2 (aka you can look bad but not as comically bad and clunky).

At zero you have to think when and where to throw the web and you can't just go straight in a line like the past game.

I have it at 4 assist and it's a good compromise, the game is far too fast for real physics based web slinging, you would go into walls all the time if it was like spidey 2.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The ASM suit looks amazing during gameplay but you need to be next to lights to make it pop. Dont know why devs dont implement hero lighting after GG did it to such great effect a year and a half ago.

These plants really stood out. Dont know if they were behind the refractive glass, but I legit had to stop and do a double take. This area in general was stunning, but I couldnt help but compare it to starfield's interiors. Starfield looks better i think. Just way better modeling and indoor lighting.

I honestly cant believe how bad Miles' skin looks in cutscenes. his uncle looks way better. I am not sure what happened here. It legit looks incomplete. Both Peter and Harry looked great at the lab even during gameplay.

F9Fhr24XEAAQlwL

This is from the previous game.
spider-man-miles-morales-ps5-review-miles.jpg

This was the bullshot they released at the Miles reveal to fool us into thinking Miles was next gen only. Well, spiderman 2 is next gen only. why cant we get this??

Marvels-Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-WP.jpg

He just has more skin imperfections so it looks "more real" than clean skin miles.

They both looks beyond terrible for nextgen standard.
When even the miles bullshot doesn't look better than a lot of black characters from ps4 games you know this shit is bad.

Last edited:

Alex11

This is ... comical

My God, you really struck a nerve with hose games you mentioned, Jesus it's like we're going in reverse with physics and A.I.

Top Bottom