• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Solid chance it's an artistic choice, having the cape realistically hang down may just not look as good from the back.
I'm guessing ofcourse.

No, it's a bug. Cutscenes were not properly tested to account for the different suits that they have in the game. Cape behaves okay in normal gameplay. In the next scene Miles and Peter were standing back-to-back and cape was clipping through Peter.

Anyway, traversal is GOD tier:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Hear me out Guys, Miles' mom is actually kind of hot.

F9JKtwVWoAA1EOh

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
She is cute, too bad her whole shtik is basically saying half of the words in spanish :lollipop_squinting:

Yeah, it's cringe.

I live aboard. I'm in my late 30, I've lived in 4 countries in total and speak few languages. My wife speaks perfect fluent Spanish and trust me, we don't talk like that to our kid. That's what white dudes in California think multi-cultural family looks like.

Alex11

I'm not gonna lie. I'd love to remove wing suit for more in-depth swinging. But this is what we got.
So is the flying a bit much, I mean it's a Marvel superhero game and it sure looks like a hell of fun, but does it get in the way, so to speak, character wise, mood wise? Don't know if I'm making any sense, lol.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, it's cringe.

I live aboard. I'm in my late 30, I've lived in 4 countries in total and speak few languages. My wife speaks perfect fluent Spanish and trust me, we don't talk like that to our kid. That's what white dudes in California think multi-cultural family looks like.
What's up with that tag under the name?

SABRE220

No, it's a bug. Cutscenes were not properly tested to account for the different suits that they have in the game. Cape behaves okay in normal gameplay. In the next scene Miles and Peter were standing back-to-back and cape was clipping through Peter.

Anyway, traversal is GOD tier:

Yup credit where credit is due, the traversal is brilliant.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So is the flying a bit much, I mean it's a Marvel superhero game and it sure looks like a hell of fun, but does it get in the way, so to speak, character wise, mood wise? Don't know if I'm making any sense, lol.

To be honest: yes. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but I'm trying to avoid it when traversing the city (obviously I've used it for a couple of clip recordings, to show what's possible). It just doesn't feel Spider-Man. I rather have them invest into more in-depth system for swinging. Like, having L2 for your left hand and R2 for your right hand, web itself being physics based... that kind of stuff.

What's up with that tag under the name?

I've said that I replace my GPU every 2 years and one of the mods said that my user name don't fit... so I've suggested this tag and here we are.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah, the game is way smaller, if you play slow and get 50 hours out of it it just means that you get double the hours from bigger games, the fact that it's way smaller doesn't change a bit just because you are a slow gamer.

It is the same reason why death stranding was made in 3 years, small, barely any npcs, low amount of content, it could have been done in 2 years if the fart sniffer didn't had to accomodate the schedule of hollywood actors most probably.

The npcs feels exactly the same, they walk, sometimes they have unique animations and their reaction to close danger is barely better than starfield, nothing advanced or noteworthy in their behaviour unless this is the first open world you ever played,, you can't actually "interact" with them like you do with npcs in rockstar games or watch dogs or past bethesda games, they are still set dressing npcs instead of active npcs, and you know that, don't give me that shit dude :lollipop_squinting:

Infamous 1 npcs were more advanced because they praised you or threw stuff at you depending on the karma (and you could actually hurt them), they can't even fucking have npcs that hate spidey because they believe what JJ says, that would have been a cool addiction, to have different npcs hating or loving spidey, as of now, they are utterly unremarkable.

Thank fucking god ragnarock didn't had many moments like the sandman battle, that shit was a new low when it comes to "cinematic gameplay", i know it's hard to believe for you, but some devs prefer to have engaging boss fights that request actual skill to be beaten over shitty spectacle boss fights with no gameplay value whatsoever, there is no right choice, you like the latter, i like the former.
Yes. The NPCs are doing a lot more things than they did in the first game which is my point. They spent a lot of effort into filling up this open world. I wouldve loved to have civilians be impacted by enemies or spidermans abilities but lets not pretend that Infamous had NPCs anywhere even remotely dense or varied as this game. Or Horizon for that matter. A lot of work goes into scripting these NPCs and thats all i was pointing out. That they didnt just increase the NPC slider to maximum like they did for Miles and Spiderman remastered. They gave everyone a lot more to do. It feels like a true sequel. How would you rate this NPC both in terms of actual NPC count and scripted behavior compared to cyberpunk phantom liberty? Serious question.

The game is smaller than bloated fuck fests like Horizon, GOW Ragnorak and most other open world games out there, but i would not call it a small game. its still the biggest most ambitious game made by insomniac. They are doing setpieces on a scale no one, not even ND is doing nowadays. Its just not something you like because you arent into that. We know this from FF16, but whats here is way more next gen than any setpiece in uncharted 4, GOW 2018, TLOU2, Horizon FW, GOW ragnorak and Horizon Burning Whores. I have played three major setpieces so far and each have felt next gen in both scale and ssd trickory.

I am not going to knock or ignore what the game does right just because its not pushing next gen buildings and character models. I did the same with Starfield, FF16 and Forza. I will continue to point out its flaws and weaknesses. Im no John from DF. However, the game is impressing me in ways even Horizon FW didnt. Its not the graphics that make this feel next gen. its the gameplay.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Npcs are still super simple, who gives a fuck if they are more diversified when they have less interactions than fucking infamous on a ps2? their effort is shit and not nearly enough for nextgen, i'm not gonna praise that, you can like it all you want, that doens't change the reality of facts, their npcs are on the lower scale of open world npcs compared to the best, most interactive npcs around, FACTS, i don't give a shit if they improved a 1\10 into a 3\10, it's still a pathetic result at the end of 2023, but i can forgive that since npcs reactions is not why i buy a spiderman title, i just don't feel the need to praise this result.

The game is not only smaller, but filled with low quality stuff like a lot of uber simple minigames and woke sidestories, i take sidestories and activities from "bloated fuckfest" like horizon or gow any day of the week.
It's not like their being smaller make the content better, it's lower in quantity and quality, almost everything that is not the quest with wraith and main quest (and sometimes even that has some scary lows in pace) is utter shit in this game, both mechanically and writing wise, nothing nextgen about it, horizon and gow sidecontent smoke this thing by a landslide.

Disagree on all the rest, the combat feels exactly the same as previous spidey (that already weren't original because they use free flow from arkhma series) with some new skills here and there and the webwings that are admidetly the only thing even remotely nextgen.

Oh wow, way more cars on screen...impact on the gameplay= 0,0000001 because this is not a fucking gta game where you actually interact with other cars and you can crush on them and shit, they wasted rendering for the characters and the buldings and other things for a thing that is literally set dressing with no purpose whatsoever, shit priorities if you ask me but people want their traffic in new york, better fuck everything else for that i guess.
You just didn't liked the new stuff in horizon but you like the new stuff here, nothing wrong in that, but this shit feels as nextgen as my rancid ballsack, during 98% of the combat you don't even use the ssd so it feels exactly like spidey 2018, nextgen my ass dude, you just like a cakewalk, more "automatized" combat system and qte infested setpieces over 2 hard as fuck games, personal preference i guess :lollipop_squinting: :messenger_blowing_kiss: :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

CGNoire

It never hits remotely as high as horizon or other games.

Yesterday i did the most graphical impressive section yet and it just looked good bordering on great, not exceptional and sure as hell no mindblowing\nextgen.

We know why chief does that but i have no idea what the other people are smoking.

It may be the fact that with so much mediocrity around the game, the few good spots are overly praised, i'm thinking about slimy calling black cat model exceptional or whatever just because the other women look like absolute shit.

How is it called this specific syndrome? Modified stockholm? Reverse sanchez?
"Cross-Gen Stockholm"

GymWolf

Gold Member
Damn, Gymwolf is on a mission to destroy SM2 😂
In this topic we always exagerate a bit with our feelings :lollipop_squinting:

The combat and traversal and part of the main story are fun enough with traversal being a stand out, and i'm a sucker for fun traversal in open worlds, half of the reason why i loved infamous and why i bought foreskin.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

There are a lot of suit specific related bugs. Like this one. It's from main-story segment so it's not like it couldn't be tested:

F9Ji7qMXIAED8l_

SlimySnake

So the verdict seems to be that when Spidey 2 hits it hits hard and can look gorgeous meaning a few extra months of polish woulda made the game look absolutely mind-blowing.
No amount of polish is going to fix the last gen building assets and character models. The polish might affect the cutscenes, but the overall game wouldve mostly looked the same. the bugs are just that, bugs. The only affect NPCs which is what Ive been trying to explain in regards to NPCs getting a lot more diverse. No wonder they are the most bugged.

Npcs are still super simple, who gives a fuck if they are more diversified when they have less interactions than fucking infamous on a ps2? their effort is shit and not nearly enough for nextgen, i'm not gonna praise that, you can like it all you want, that doens't change the reality of facts, their npcs are on the lower scale of open world npcs compared to the best, most interactive npcs around, FACTS, i don't give a shit if they improved a 1\10 into a 3\10, it's still a pathetic result at the end of 2023.
Well you can compare every 2023 game to infamous 2 by that logic. hell, lets all shit on Infamous Second Son which was hailed as a true next gen game but featured way less physics and NPC interaction than infamous 2. Again, name me one game that has this many NPCs on screen doing this many things. yes, its salad dressing and im with you that it needs to be more than that, but this is a graphics fidelity thread. we are almost always discussing salad dressings.
The game is not only smaller, but filled with low quality stuff like a lot of uber simple minigames and woke sidestories, i take sidestories and activities from "bloated fuckfest" like horizon or gow any day of the week.
It's not like their being smaller make the content better, it's lower in quantity and quality, almost everything that is not the quest with wraith and main quest (and sometimes even that has some scary lows in pace) is utter shit in this game, both mechanically and writing wise, nothing nextgen about it, horizon and gow sidecontent smoke this thing by a landslide.

Disagree on all the rest, the combat feels exactly the same as previous spidey (that already weren't original because they use free flow from arkhma series) with some new skills here and there and the webwings that are admidetly the only thing even remotely nextgen.
Agree to disagree. Horizon bored me to death. This is the most woke game ive ever played by a long shot, but its still interesting, fun, well paced, engaging compared to Horizon and GOW. Though i get, this is not a thread to compare the two games. I just disagree that they phoned in this game or didnt put in as much effort as GG or SSM who literally copied pasta the first game as well. oh but now you get to talk to 100 new NPCs who all tell the same sob stories no one gives two shits about.
Oh wow, way more cars on screen...impact on the gameplay= 0,0000001 because this is not a fucking gta game where you actually interact with other cars and you can crush on them and shit, they wasted rendering for the characters and the buldings and other things for a thing that is literally set dressing with no purpose whatsoever, shit priorities if you ask me but people want their traffic in new york, better fuck everything else for that i guess.
You just didn't liked the new stuff in horizon but you like the new stuff here, nothing wrong in that, but this shit feels as nextgen as my rancid ballsack, during 98% of the combat you don't even use the ssd so it feels exactly like spidey 2018, nextgen my ass dude, you just like a cakewalk, more "automatized" combat system and qte infested setpieces over 2 hard as fuck games, personal preference i guess :lollipop_squinting: :messenger_blowing_kiss: :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Perhaps I am more lenient on this game because i like it more than horizon. I am willing to concede that. Indeed, most of my examples for why i consider this game next gen is that it FEELS next gen when you're playing it. Not when you are watching it. So maybe you're right. In terms of priorities, I am 100% with them on focusing on setpieces in a marvel superhero game, focusing on increasing NPC and traffic density in an open world game, focusing on faster traversal rather than wasting 5 years mocapping and animating stupid dialogue trees and random NPCs, creating barren open worlds with fuck all to do, limited traversal etc. Personally i would scrap RT in favor of better looking buildings, but thats about it.

Horizon ended with literally a cutscene for the final battle. You didnt get to take part in it. You didnt even get to run in the field with robots and dinobots fighting each other. it was a cutscene. Ragnroak's finale battle was a salad dressing while you walked in a straight line in tiny levels. Then fought an arena battle. I will take Spidemran 2's setpieces any day of the day. and twice on sunday. This game literally takes a big shit all over Cory Barlog and herman Hurst. Fuck em and their bullshit decision to make those games last gen.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Oh my fucking god LOL

The Spider-Man 2 simps here gonna be working over time to hand wave this one
Except no one is simping for these character models. Everyone literally even chiefdada came in and said, character models look like shit. You are just delusional living in an alternate reality at this point. get some help.

No amount of polish is going to fix the last gen building assets and character models. The polish might affect the cutscenes, but the overall game wouldve mostly looked the same. the bugs are just that, bugs. The only affect NPCs which is what Ive been trying to explain in regards to NPCs getting a lot more diverse. No wonder they are the most bugged.

Well you can compare every 2023 game to infamous 2 by that logic. hell, lets all shit on Infamous Second Son which was hailed as a true next gen game but featured way less physics and NPC interaction than infamous 2. Again, name me one game that has this many NPCs on screen doing this many things. yes, its salad dressing and im with you that it needs to be more than that, but this is a graphics fidelity thread. we are almost always discussing salad dressings.

Agree to disagree. Horizon bored me to death. This is the most woke game ive ever played by a long shot, but its still interesting, fun, well paced, engaging compared to Horizon and GOW. Though i get, this is not a thread to compare the two games. I just disagree that they phoned in this game or didnt put in as much effort as GG or SSM who literally copied pasta the first game as well. oh but now you get to talk to 100 new NPCs who all tell the same sob stories no one gives two shits about.

Perhaps I am more lenient on this game because i like it more than horizon. I am willing to concede that. Indeed, most of my examples for why i consider this game next gen is that it FEELS next gen when you're playing it. Not when you are watching it. So maybe you're right. In terms of priorities, I am 100% with them on focusing on setpieces in a marvel superhero game, focusing on increasing NPC and traffic density in an open world game, focusing on faster traversal rather than wasting 5 years mocapping and animating stupid dialogue trees and random NPCs, creating barren open worlds with fuck all to do, limited traversal etc. Personally i would scrap RT in favor of better looking buildings, but thats about it.

Horizon ended with literally a cutscene for the final battle. You didnt get to take part in it. You didnt even get to run in the field with robots and dinobots fighting each other. it was a cutscene. Ragnroak's finale battle was a salad dressing while you walked in a straight line in tiny levels. Then fought an arena battle. I will take Spidemran 2's setpieces any day of the day. and twice on sunday. This game literally takes a big shit all over Cory Barlog and herman Hurst. Fuck em and their bullshit decision to make those games last gen.
You keep saying feels next Gen and I’m curious, you can even spoiler tag it, where outside of the opening fight are these huge impressive SSD using next Gen set pieces? I’m genuinely curious cause you said there’s been 3. I’m assuming sandman is 1/3.

I’ve watched the game beginning to end and that’s the only remotely impressive one as far as I’ve seen?

Except no one is simping for these character models. Everyone literally even chiefdada came in and said, character models look like shit. You are just delusional living in an alternate reality at this point. get some help.
Did I say Spider-Man 2 character model simps or Spider-Man 2 simps? I think it was the latter. But hey I get it. You like the game. You like Spider-Man.

You’re gonna call people who are snarky against this DLC package delusional and in need of psychiatric help :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

Did I say Spider-Man 2 character model simps or Spider-Man 2 simps? I think it was the latter. But hey I get it. You like the game. You like Spider-Man.
You said spiderman 2 simps will defend this character model.
The Spider-Man 2 simps here gonna be working over time to hand wave this one
Except NO ONE here has been doing that. I have posted screenshots showing how bad Miles looks. I didnt get a single person defending it.

You’re gonna call people who are snarky against this DLC package delusional and in need of psychiatric help :messenger_tears_of_joy:
And there it is. This is DLC now. Got it.

You said spiderman 2 simps will defend this character model.

Except NO ONE here has been doing that. I have posted screenshots showing how bad Miles looks. I didnt get a single person defending it.

And there it is. This is DLC now. Got it.
I didn’t say that either lol. Bro scroll up. I was referring to the nakedly awful graphics on this PS5 exclusive title

Also still waiting for you to name a single other impressive set piece showcasing “next gen gameplay” you’ve been mentioning

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Cory Barlog who didn’t work on the game:

Confused What Did I Do GIF by Team Coco
Herman hurst didnt either. But its good to shit on the big names. I bet no one can name the director of either game because they were so forgettable. I remember Cory tweeting the name of the director saying something to the effect of REMMEBER THE NAME. less than a year later, no one remembers him.

Cory did say that it was his decision to make GOW last gen. He was defending Alannah Pearce who was getting shit for it. And Herman was the head of GG when the game started development in 2017. Thats when it was decided if they would make it next gen or last gen so he likely had more sway in the decision making than anyone else at GG.
I didn’t say that either lol. Bro scroll up. I was referring to the nakedly awful graphics on this PS5 exclusive title

Also still waiting for you to name a single other impressive set piece showcasing “next gen gameplay” you’ve been mentioning
you said you watched the whole game on youtube. no real gamer would do that. and if you didnt see anything next gen in those sections then me pointing them out wont help neither.

And nice try, but you did call the game DLC and said spiderman simps would defend the character models. Now you have to man up and admit it. either stand by it or admit you were wrong. I couldnt care less.

Last edited:
Herman hurst didnt either. But its good to shit on the big names. I bet no one can name the director of either game because they were so forgettable. I remember Cory tweeting the name of the director saying something to the effect of REMMEBER THE NAME. less than a year later, no one remembers him.

you said you watched the whole game on youtube. no real gamer would do that. and if you didnt see anything next gen in those sections then me pointing them out wont help neither.

And nice try, but you did call the game DLC and said spiderman simps would defend the character models. Now you have to man up and admit it. either stand by it or admit you were wrong. I couldnt care less.
I’m just not interested in paying $70 for a game that frankly does not look good to me. Riding bikes? Sneaking around high school? Playing as MJ going splinter cell on kraven thugs? Controlling spider bots? Zapping bees? Cleaning up my house as Peter? Playin as the little deaf girl? Miles morales? 4 hours of cutscenes? A freight truck worth of pandering wokeness? Complete waste of my time and money man.

But my personal buying decisions aside don’t you think it would be productive to the conversation in this graphics thread to name the 2 other moments you thought were next gen? I feel like you’re dodging my question honestly. It really does seem like it’s just the opening

Last edited:

SlimySnake

But my personal buying decisions aside don’t you think it would be productive to the conversation in this graphics thread to name the 2 other moments you thought were next gen? I feel like you’re dodging my question honestly. It really does seem like it’s just the opening
Fine. I am still early on in the game but ive already seen 3 big setpieces so far. The game plays like a next gen naughty dog game with every major mission playing out like an action scene from a spiderman movie.

Setpiece 1:
sandman fight. This one is obvious but people think miles getting thrown into buildings into the other side of town is the only next gen thing about it. Nah, the scale of it is way beyond what we saw last gen and the gen before. kronos in GOW3 just stood there. Here Sandman, walks between buildings. buildings get destroyed. No matter what Gymwolf says, you have full control over Spiderman and Miles and the whole setpieces plays out in a large chunt of the city. I had talked about Man of Steel and how we no longer have any games where half of nyc is destroyed, well they did exactly that here, and even after the battle ends, you still have broken buiildings and a large portion of the city covered in sand. Just the sheer scale of that fight is simply not possible last gen.

Setpiece 2:
First kraven hunter attack. This takes place on a large ship that gets twisted and turned over then crashes into the docks. Scripted or not, the sheer fidelity of it with dozens of NPCs, enemies and both spiderman on screen at once is something i simply didnt see last gen. Only bayonetta 3 comes close but there is so much going on here. Go and watch any Naughty Dog or even Spiderman 1 setpiece. They do not have this many things going on at once. They do not have this many things on screen at once. This is simply on another level like FF16 was.

Setpiece 3:
this one is simple. they put in the ratchet portal tech into the black cat chase sequence. it was brilliant. insane level of visual fidelity and ssd usage. i legit went whoa when they portaled you into antarctica. Though i wish they took us into paris and let us swing around the effiel tower. big missed opportunity. Regardless, we were all wondering if they would come close to that cerny ssd demo or the UE5 ps5 demo, and this straight up topped them both.

Fine. I am still early on in the game but ive already seen 3 big setpieces so far. The game plays like a next gen naughty dog game with every major mission playing out like an action scene from a spiderman movie.

Setpiece 1:
sandman fight. This one is obvious but people think miles getting thrown into buildings into the other side of town is the only next gen thing about it. Nah, the scale of it is way beyond what we saw last gen and the gen before. kronos in GOW3 just stood there. Here Sandman, walks between buildings. buildings get destroyed. No matter what Gymwolf says, you have full control over Spiderman and Miles and the whole setpieces plays out in a large chunt of the city. I had talked about Man of Steel and how we no longer have any games where half of nyc is destroyed, well they did exactly that here, and even after the battle ends, you still have broken buiildings and a large portion of the city covered in sand. Just the sheer scale of that fight is simply not possible last gen.

Setpiece 2:
First kraven hunter attack. This takes place on a large ship that gets twisted and turned over then crashes into the docks. Scripted or not, the sheer fidelity of it with dozens of NPCs, enemies and both spiderman on screen at once is something i simply didnt see last gen. Only bayonetta 3 comes close but there is so much going on here. Go and watch any Naughty Dog or even Spiderman 1 setpiece. They do not have this many things going on at once. They do not have this many things on screen at once. This is simply on another level like FF16 was.

Setpiece 3:
this one is simple. they put in the ratchet portal tech into the black cat chase sequence. it was brilliant. insane level of visual fidelity and ssd usage. i legit went whoa when they portaled you into antarctica. Though i wish they took us into paris and let us swing around the effiel tower. big missed opportunity. Regardless, we were all wondering if they would come close to that cerny ssd demo or the UE5 ps5 demo, and this straight up topped them both.
cwa3BPu.gif

ckstine

I really don't think that's floating, the menu is sitting on an uneven surface, i.e. the roundness of the booth cushion. The image is fantastic looking, I see RTX on and assume it's also with path tracing.
It's definitely not using path tracing. Not even 2077 is using path tracing, as they claim. It is fully raytraced in its lighting, but not path-traced. Path tracing is sending out hundreds or thousands of rays from a single light source, and then calculating them all. Ray tracing is a technique used in path tracing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_tracing
To be sure, real-time path tracing doesn't exist, and won't exist for a little while. Especially not in a game like Cyberpunk 2077. Its just one of NV's marketing techniques.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

This thread has turned into bullshots vs assshots

Someone will post a bullshot showing how great the game looks

Then some hater will post some assshot to show how ass the game looks

SlimySnake

This thread has turned into bullshots vs assshots

Someone will post a bullshot showing how great the game looks

Then some hater will post some assshot to show how ass the game looks
This thread has always been like this lol

We went through the same exact thing with starfield and ff16 just a couple of months ago

SlimySnake

Ive been taking shots of the city standing on top of the freedom tower. I had a few shots from the original spiderman on the Pro so figured they would make for good comparisons.

The first two shots are from Spiderman PS4. The rest from spiderman 2.

DmhwEdWUUAAefle

FQmWLkTXIAAyPia

F9FGbniWAAAqkO7

F9Fhq71XAAATP3R

Last edited:

Msamy

Even star citizen engine gonna have ray tracing global illumination, you can see it around 36:00 in this video , I keep telling everyone this a must have future for any next gen game , this future only can make any game looks generational ahead from any game with pre baked lighting

Last edited:
Top Bottom