• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, it's cringe.

I live aboard. I'm in my late 30, I've lived in 4 countries in total and speak few languages. My wife speaks perfect fluent Spanish and trust me, we don't talk like that to our kid. That's what white dudes in California think multi-cultural family looks like.
Insomniac binged this girl's youtube shorts when they were doing research on hispanics.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Alright. This sunset looked fucking unreal. If you told me this was a still from a movie I'd believe you if I did a quick glance.

The games highs are incredibly high.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023201914.jpg

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023201809.jpg

If you showed me this, and told me this was an OPEN WORLD game back in the PS3 gen, I would literally never believe you.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ive been taking shots of the city standing on top of the freedom tower. I had a few shots from the original spiderman on the Pro so figured they would make for good comparisons.

The first is from Spiderman PS4. The rest from spiderman 2.

DmhwEdWUUAAefle

FQmWLkTXIAAyPia

F9FGbniWAAAqkO7

F9Fhq71XAAATP3R

Your second shot looks off. SM2 has much better emissive lighting at night. I will take from same spot to compare.

Update:

Yeah def something off. Maybe a bug because that one looks straight up last gen. Maybe that's why some people aren't appreciating SM2 like i am.
9jdHdgV.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Your second shot looks off. SM2 has much better emissive lighting at night. I will take from same spot to compare.

Update:

Yeah def something off. Maybe a bug because that one looks straight up last gen. Maybe that's why some people aren't appreciating SM2 like i am.
9jdHdgV.jpg
Sorry i meant to say the first TWO shots are from spiderman 1.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Screenshot-2023-10-23-at-10-04-31-PM.png

Poor soul listed Starfield as the best looking game on consoles in that other thread and got laughed out the thread lol

i chuckled. those emojis are hilarious

Npcs are still super simple, who gives a fuck if they are more diversified when they have less interactions than fucking infamous on a ps2? their effort is shit and not nearly enough for nextgen, i'm not gonna praise that, you can like it all you want, that doens't change the reality of facts, their npcs are on the lower scale of open world npcs compared to the best, most interactive npcs around, FACTS, i don't give a shit if they improved a 1\10 into a 3\10, it's still a pathetic result at the end of 2023, but i can forgive that since npcs reactions is not why i buy a spiderman title, i just don't feel the need to praise this result.

The game is not only smaller, but filled with low quality stuff like a lot of uber simple minigames and woke sidestories, i take sidestories and activities from "bloated fuckfest" like horizon or gow any day of the week.
It's not like their being smaller make the content better, it's lower in quantity and quality, almost everything that is not the quest with wraith and main quest (and sometimes even that has some scary lows in pace) is utter shit in this game, both mechanically and writing wise, nothing nextgen about it, horizon and gow sidecontent smoke this thing by a landslide.

Disagree on all the rest, the combat feels exactly the same as previous spidey (that already weren't original because they use free flow from arkhma series) with some new skills here and there and the webwings that are admidetly the only thing even remotely nextgen.

Oh wow, way more cars on screen...impact on the gameplay= 0,0000001 because this is not a fucking gta game where you actually interact with other cars and you can crush on them and shit, they wasted rendering for the characters and the buldings and other things for a thing that is literally set dressing with no purpose whatsoever, shit priorities if you ask me but people want their traffic in new york, better fuck everything else for that i guess.
You just didn't liked the new stuff in horizon but you like the new stuff here, nothing wrong in that, but this shit feels as nextgen as my rancid ballsack, during 98% of the combat you don't even use the ssd so it feels exactly like spidey 2018, nextgen my ass dude, you just like a cakewalk, more "automatized" combat system and qte infested setpieces over 2 hard as fuck games, personal preference i guess :lollipop_squinting: :messenger_blowing_kiss: :messenger_blowing_kiss:
If anything this makes me excited for GTA6 after playing. I know they won’t skimp on the npcs like they do here

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I have now beaten both, to say SM2 is even close graphically to burning shores is preposterous to me. It is faster - but purely visually? It’s like a different league

I was rooting for Burning Shores. I wrote a thread about Burning Shores prior to release and this is the #1 thing I asked for as a current gen game:

1. ZERO/undetectable pop-in:

HFW LOD management was by far my biggest gripe with the game, tech wise. When I am riding on a Sunwing, it kills me to see machines and plant life pop in out of nowhere as I traverse. I hope to God the subpar LOD system was a holdover from PS4

2. Current-gen worthy lighting:

I don't necessarily need ray tracing (although that would be nice), I just want a vastly improved and seamless lighting system that, again, significantly reduces breaks in immersion. This was especially problematic in HFW with the transition from outdoor to indoor environments and vice versa. TLOU Pt. 1 is a great example of what can be accomplished sans ray tracing.

1.Spiderman open world LOD system is currently unmatched. In Burning Shores not only do you fly, ride extremely slower than SM2, but pop-in is everywhere. This is why I consider SM2 visuals above all other console games at the moment. It is the only game to handle LOD/high fidelity at this level. If you want to argue against please share a video riding a sunwing and go as fast as possible (roughly 5 mph since we're talking about burning shores lol).

2. World lighting in SM2 is above Horizon. Cinematics is another story entirely but GI superiority during gameplay goes to SM2 easily.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The lighting of the symbiote, the lighting and animations of the enemy NPCs. You all are really missing out if you're playing on anything other than an oled.

Alex11

2. World lighting in SM2 is above Horizon. Cinematics is another story entirely but GI superiority during gameplay goes to SM2 easily.
To me it doesn't seem that way, and even so, Horizon has full day/night cycle and SM2 it's fixed, meaning it has many baked things.

Not saying SM2 doesn't look good, it looks amazing, but it looks better in certain times of day than in others.

I was rooting for Burning Shores. I wrote a thread about Burning Shores prior to release and this is the #1 thing I asked for as a current gen game:

1.Spiderman open world LOD system is currently unmatched. In Burning Shores not only do you fly, ride extremely slower than SM2, but pop-in is everywhere. This is why I consider SM2 visuals above all other console games at the moment. It is the only game to handle LOD/high fidelity at this level. If you want to argue against please share a video riding a sunwing and go as fast as possible (roughly 5 mph since we're talking about burning shores lol).

My only issue with horizon is the world lighting, I think it detracts - but is SM2 using dynamic world lighting either? I agree it’s better and sharper in both these respects - I just think the overall package of Burning Shores looks a step above

And did they not fix some of the LOD stuff? I agree that was egregious on release but I seem to remember it getting better. Perhaps I’m wrong

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Even so, it seems to me that in the night shot in SM2 in the upper left in the distance the ground and all that it's much too bright, it looks better in your night shot of SM.
Yeah, its brighter but it should be. Especially the street level. looks marvelous in game.

F7zrmhOW4AAnpro

F9LOTBpWwAA8hPU

This one is from Miles. Way more lights from building windows but again, Spiderman 2 just pops more.

F7zp616XAAApKSC

F9LOThCXQAAIE7B

ChiefDada

Gold Member
To me it doesn't seem that way, and even so, Horizon has full day/night cycle and SM2 it's fixed, meaning it has many baked things.

Horizon has 6 or so baked cycles, so they aren't dynamic. If you're going to go with baked lighting, I prefer to have my choices at any moment. Horizon is kind of annoying and jarring in that regard because it changes without transition since again its not dynamic.

SlimySnake

Horizon has 6 or so baked cycles, so they aren't dynamic. If you're going to go with baked lighting, I prefer to have my choices at any moment. Horizon is kind of annoying and jarring in that regard because it changes without transition since again its not dynamic.
pretty sure john said that for horizon forbidden west they went from 6 to 12.

Least pop in on console?

You got me going HARD for this shit

Can't believe people don't care much about pop-in and lod transitions. When a game nails this it automatically looks more believable

CGNoire

Even so, it seems to me that in the night shot in SM2 in the upper left in the distance the ground and all that it's much too bright, it looks better in your night shot of SM.
SM2's night shots look wrong in general because 97% of all buildings are not lit from below like they should and like they did in SM1.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I said 97%. The skyline shots show it. Building remaining a silohette all the way to the street with no light hitting it.

My screenshot wasn't in response to your post.

But can you explain a little better? Maybe provide a similar real life photo to illustrate light behavior you're talking about.

You should be able to change the time of day manually. Don’t know why that’s not a feature.

After playing through it, I get they were focusing more on stuff that would make the game play better rather than just eye candy, and I respect that.

But since it’s a graphics thread. Sometimes it looks legit not good at all, like bad. And then sometimes it looks great. Time of day really effects how good it looks in general.

As much as I love what they did with the reflections/glass on the buildings. And the seeing in the windows has been upgraded - I feel like the buildings themselves are not improved much modeling wise.

And I’m not getting the praise for the water. Doesn’t interact very well or look too good imo. The venom effects are great tho, very returnal looking. Rarely see that pulled off well in a game. Also (not a spoiler really) there’s a part in the late game where the lighting is a bit rainy and gray, and that made things look kinda cool.

CGNoire

My screenshot wasn't in response to your post.

But can you explain a little better? Maybe provide a similar real life photo to illustrate light behavior you're talking about.
The buildings lightmaps dont seem to be fully resolving at a distance. About as clear as I can be. Maybe a bug cause it seems like a big oversight that SM1 didnt suffer from. Hope it gets patched.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

100%. It’s especially offensive because in Spider-Man you can’t freely go back and forward between open world and indoor spaces. Game unloads main city map and loads interior space. I hope you enjoy amazing quest objectives like cleaning garbage in that beautifully rendered house environment. Amazing.

Kikorin

I'll remember Spiderman 2 release because the absolute ChiefDada fanboyism generated the villains Gymwolf & MidGenRefresh the destroyers. A battle for the ages that I'm enjoying.

Last edited:
Screenshot-2023-10-23-at-10-04-31-PM.png

Poor soul listed Starfield as the best looking game on consoles in that other thread and got laughed out the thread lol

Based purely on interiors, it is one of the best looking games I have seen but some of the outdoor areas look worse than Fallout 4. It also has a weird washed out look. I didn't notice how bad it was until played Mario Wonder straight afterwards and it's like getting my eyes blasted by a rainbow. They really need to remove the filter.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
My jaw just dropped 5 times in a row. HOLY SHIT INSOMNIAC!!!! Fidelity i thought might not be possible this gen even with cutscenes, INSOMNIAC DID THAT SHIT IN GAMEPLAY🤯🤯🤯🤯.

I’ve watched the game beginning to end and that’s the only remotely impressive one as far as I’ve seen?

Bullshit because if you did you wouldn't have said Sandman is the most impressive. What I just saw is hands down the best looking gameplay sequence ever. Period. No real time cutscene on any fucking platform is matching what insomniac just did. This the typr of shit that lethal claimed would only be possible on PS10. I can show you my personal recording via dm.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'll remember Spiderman 2 release because the absolute ChiefDada fanboyism generated the villains Gymwolf & MidGenRefresh the destroyers. A battle for the ages that I'm enjoying.

Have you played SM2? Can I dm you my gameplay that looks straight out of a movie and you tell me after if I'm being a fanboy? If anything, I undersold SM2 potential.

Xtib81

Least pop in on console?

You got me going HARD for this shit

Can't believe people don't care much about pop-in and lod transitions. When a game nails this it automatically looks more believable

This should be the number 1 priority for all devs. Who cares about reflections or 8k textures when fucking trees, people, shadow etc.. pop right in front of you!? Like seriously !?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think some people just straight up get payed by sony to write this shit inside forums (not gaf)

Man this game looks so great. The character models look so dang expressive, just shy of Forbidden West level. Harry is the most impressive, that man looks so alive, like there's a light behind his eyes that makes the whole character work. Miles looks second best, my man got a huge glow up over these games.

miles getting the huge glowup ended me :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Alright. This sunset looked fucking unreal. If you told me this was a still from a movie I'd believe you if I did a quick glance.

The games highs are incredibly high.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023201914.jpg

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023201809.jpg

If you showed me this, and told me this was an OPEN WORLD game back in the PS3 gen, I would literally never believe you.
The buildings just look so fucking flat and really let the scene down, there needs to be imperfections and more depth, SOMETHING GOD DARN IT

Lethal01

My jaw just dropped 5 times in a row. HOLY SHIT INSOMNIAC!!!! Fidelity i thought might not be possible this gen even with cutscenes, INSOMNIAC DID THAT SHIT IN GAMEPLAY🤯🤯🤯🤯.

Bullshit because if you did you wouldn't have said Sandman is the most impressive. What I just saw is hands down the best looking gameplay sequence ever. Period. No real time cutscene on any fucking platform is matching what insomniac just did. This the typr of shit that lethal claimed would only be possible on PS10. I can show you my personal recording via dm.

A huh, go ahead and let me see it, will be great that this one isn't in 240p

Kikorin

Have you played SM2? Can I dm you my gameplay that looks straight out of a movie and you tell me after if I'm being a fanboy? If anything, I undersold SM2 potential.

No, but I'm planning to do as soon as I buy a PS5 (hopefully soon), so don't plan to spoil me anything about the game except the screen and videos I'm watching here. I already think it looks very good tho, more than fine to me, but I'm more on the side of who thinks is not the best looking game on PS5. Maybe I'll change my mind when I'll play it, but Horizon or GoW seems a lot more impressive from what I've seen.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Some aspects of Starfield can look ridiculously good. Like ship interiors. The details packed here is mind blowing.

PvkPbo1.jpg

I mean look at this shit. This panel can't even be interacted with. It's just a random thing on a random wall. It has no right to be this detailed:

IevrExW.jpg

cKzBfXP.jpg

SABRE220

I have now beaten both, to say SM2 is even close graphically to burning shores is preposterous to me. It is faster - but purely visually? It’s like a different league
I wouldn't go that far, in terms of visuals Burning Shores is definitely better but its not in a different league comeon now. Spiderman2 has better traversal and lod system, it is definitelt disappointing for a nextgen only title from insomniac but lets not go overboard.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I share the same sentiment, horizon destroy this thing.

I'm like 20 hours in and i wasn't even close to be impressed once by the pure graphic (i don't consider fast traversal as graphic).

Sublime...LMAO.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Blank stare, dead eyes, ps3 wet shader, flat looking hair and textures, terrible texture on building and tree in the background. rain is only behind her.
I'll give you the wall texture but eye rendering is difficult to do in game/cutscene. The DOF applied to trees is supposed to distort its look even if it was photo accurate. Personally,I didn't notice until you pointed it out.

Do you have good examples for the highlighted parts?

Last edited:

shamoomoo

diddy-staring.gif

the-detail-on-aloys-face-takes-me-out-every-time-v0-uf9gk9f68vd91.jpg

Are you trolling? You were just looking at one, excellent example.
I said difficult and not impossible. Also, staring at MJ's imagine again I do feel the angle partially contributes to the dead eye look,I need a better example. Aloy is somewhat leveled even though both characters are looking directly at anything and a night or day time pic for both characters.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I said difficult and not impossible. Also, staring at MJ's imagine again I do feel the angle partially contributes to the dead eye look,I need a better example. Aloy is somewhat leveled even though both characters are looking directly at anything and a night or day time pic for both characters.

This is the last pic from me. I'm not going subject myself to taking more pictures of MJ in that game, YouTube it if you really interested.

PlayStation should better share their resources and talent across studios. The disparity between Horizon and Spider-Man is staggering.

F9Jc0T4WwAA7MY5

shamoomoo

This is the last pic from me. I'm not going subject myself to taking more pictures of MJ in that game, YouTube it if you really interested.

PlayStation should better share their resources and talent across studios. The disparity between Horizon and Spider-Man is staggering.

F9Jc0T4WwAA7MY5
MJ's eyes look better here though there is still a zombie like appearance to them.

If you or anybody else claim one games looks better or resolves better detail,at least show comparable scenes.

Top Bottom