• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sucker Punch is the most underrated. Ghosts having an 83 meta and SM2 a 90? What a joke. (Days Gone a 71 on meta? Laughable as well)

Sucker Punch has been the most consistent. Never changing the creative director like all other studios. Nate Fox has been creative director since sly cooper and clearly loves his job. They delivered a great sly cooper trilogy with at the time decent graphics and fun gameplay during the PS2 days. Then came out and put their stamp on the superhero game genre in the PS3 days. Not opting for an easy third person shooter but a kinetic super powered combat system with verticality.

Then they came right after the mighty guerilla games KZSF and showed themselves as graphical peers with second son. A GIANT generational leap over their PS3 outings and any PS3 game ever released. As second son looked a Gen ahead of last of us. That particle system at the time? PHEW. Those character models in early 2014? PHEW. Then they innovated yet again under the direction of Nate Fox and released a dope ass samurai game that was baaaasically completely free of any wokeism. Just a respectful story seeped in eastern culture. It had amazing graphics. Amazing combat. And an amazing story that showed a true maturity and step up in writing.

They’ve come so far since sly cooper but they never get mentioned in the same sentence as ND or SSM. All their games since second son are graphical power houses for their time and their gameplay is insomniac level pure video gamey fun without dogshit like MJ sections or “hey walk around slowly as Peter and play carnival mini games for 30 minutes” because they have actual competent imaginative game designers.
Sorry, i don't particularly agree with overly praising tsushima and especially the story and writing, the whole honor thing was cringe af and a far away from how samurai really fought in the past, also the villain was godly for the first 2 hours just to become pathetic the more you play until the end where he basically run away from you like a bitch, the overall story was ok but the honor thing just made me roll my eyes because it was just plain fucking stupid.

But then again, i'm not a fan of black and white samurai movies in the slightest.
It was an ubisoft open world, with ok combat and great art design, i vastly prefer infamous, especially the first 2, they kinda fucked up with the third one because sony had to rush the game for the ps4 launch period.

Last edited:
Yeah, stealing combat and stealth systems from other games and not making anything original for a decade and shitting the bed graphic wise with their first nextgen only game really push the narrative of outstanding developing abilities.

I'm sorry, i still take santa monica and guerrilla over them, and it's not even close.
(Even if horizon 2 was kinda of a misstep)

At least ratchet looked incredible in some parts and it's in discussion forcbest looking game on console, too bad the game was ok at best.
Copy rocksteady at every turn, dumb down and casualize the fuck out of the formula, include a million and one dumbass spider drone mini games and play as MJ, play as deaf girl, play as Peter slow walking sections, write bad Saturday morning cartoon dialogue, include pandering wokeness to secure a high meta with corny ass game “journalist”, include arguably most popular superhero Spider-Man to secure boatloads of sales and fame

If Spider-Man 2 was just featuring new original character frogman/squirrelman or some shit and had to rely on its own merits as a game no chance anyone gives this the time of day

Sorry, i don't particularly agree with overly praising tsushima and especially the story and writing.

It was a decent open world, with ok combat and great art design, i vastly prefer infamous, especially the first 2, they kinda fucked up with the third one because sony had to rush the game for the ps4 launch period.
We’re gonna have to be like vin diesel and Paul walked at the end of furious 7 then lol

That’s alright though. We just differ on Tsushima. I loved the game obviously

GymWolf

Gold Member
Copy rocksteady at every turn, dumb down and casualize the fuck out of the formula, include a million and one dumbass spider drone mini games and play as MJ, play as deaf girl, play as Peter slow walking sections, write bad Saturday morning cartoon dialogue, include pandering wokeness to secure a high meta with corny ass game “journalist”, include arguably most popular superhero Spider-Man to secure boatloads of sales and fame

If Spider-Man 2 was just featuring new original character frogman/squirrelman or some shit and had to rely on its own merits as a game no chance anyone gives this the time of day
I would argue that they improved the combat from batman but i guess that's purely about personal preference, i prefer insomniac free flow iteration but a lot of people prefer the more grounded batman system, probably more precise but not as fast paced.

Rheon

yeah but they are procedurally generated. You could never expect 1000 planets to look like that.

90% of the game so far (and ive put in 40 hours so far) has been indoors and almost every interior section is immaculately detailed. I honestly dont know why they even bothered with the planets because you almost never explore them even for story missions. They are like an afterthought. This is why I am not too fussed about Spiderman 2's interiors not looking too hot because 90% of the time im flying around and it looks phenomenal there.

F9LOT_GWgAAHmku

Random but this is pretty sad for what's meant to be a game centered around space exploration.

This isn't a dig at you btw, I'm just agreeing with you about space and exploration being almost inconsequential.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sorry, i don't particularly agree with overly praising tsushima and especially the story and writing, the whole honor thing was cringe af and a far away from how samurai really fought in the past, also the villain was godly for the first 2 hours just to become pathetic the more you play until the end where he basically run away from you like a bitch, the overall story was ok but the honor thing just made me roll my eyes because it was just plain fucking stupid.

But then again, i'm not a fan of black and white samurai movies in the slightest.
It was an ubisoft open world, with ok combat and great art design, i vastly prefer infamous, especially the first 2, they kinda fucked up with the third one because sony had to rush the game for the ps4 launch period.
It was a good first attempt. I think they have a chance to truly knock it out of the park with the sequel if they dont get lazy and go with next gen graphics and big scale battles for the next game. The setpieces ended up being rather underwhelming.

i am surprised that its been 3 years and they havent even shown a trailer. Meanwhile Insomniac shipped a whole game. Lets hope they are doing a full on upgrade with fancy UE5 graphics unlike Spiderman.

GymWolf

Gold Member
We’re gonna have to be like vin diesel and Paul walked at the end of furious 7 then lol

That’s alright though. We just differ on Tsushima. I loved the game obviously
Don't get me wrong, i pretty much love all sony open worlds (except the kojima one), even if i consider a lot of them being 7\10 at best, they hit me in the right way like other games don't.

I don't replay almost any game except sony games, don't know why.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It was a good first attempt. I think they have a chance to truly knock it out of the park with the sequel if they dont get lazy and go with next gen graphics and big scale battles for the next game. The setpieces ended up being rather underwhelming.

i am surprised that its been 3 years and they havent even shown a trailer. Meanwhile Insomniac shipped a whole game. Lets hope they are doing a full on upgrade with fancy UE5 graphics unlike Spiderman.
I would kill my rabbi with a pork chop during my bar mitzvah if they could get rid of those ugly, miserable precanned death animations and shitty gore they used in the first one.

If their next game still doesn't have ragdoll i'm gonna riot.

Trust in SP. I suspect ghosts 2 to be a PS5 showcase. They seem to love to play with/experiment with tech and get creative.

As far as the radio silence, I’m sure you know the Jim Ryan peak goofy classic game industry secrecy approach. We got a whole ass PS showcase, first one in 2 years, with like 0 first party announcements and just a rinky dink ass game play clip of a game announced 2 years prior. We’re a long ways away from Detroit becoming announced at a random gamescom, Tsushima being announced at a random Tokyo games show, E3s dropping stuff like dreams (new IP), last guardian re reveal, god of war reboot, days game (new IP), horizon (new IP). Some of these all in the same show.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Don't get me wrong, i pretty much love all sony open worlds (except the kojima one), even if i consider a lot of them being 7\10 at best, they hit me in the right way like other games don't.

I don't replay almost any game except sony games, don't know why.

I love Sony open worlds. I 100% original Spider-Man on PS4. I 100% Forbidden West on PS5. Played through Zero Dawn twice (PS4, PC). I almost 100% Ghost of Tsushima. Days Gone is one of the most criminally underrated one, I've beaten it twice (PS4, PC). I even love Death Stranding and beaten that twice (PS4, PC)... almost 100% it, if not for stupid collectables. But this new Spider-Man 2... I think I had enough. It's the same fucking game for the third time. I'm playing it now and I just want it to end.

Completed the main story. Wow. Insomniac set a new benchmark for visuals during the last couple hours or so. All of their cutscene budget went into the final act setpieces. One after another, after another. A lot of next gen attributes y'all asked for, they delivered in the final act.

Like i said visually unmatched but judging the setpieces - it was good not mindblowigly great. It didn't give me the same level of wonder like Uncharted 4. I think once the other studios like ND, SSM take a whack at it, it'll end up being run of the mill. Which is a good thing!
What sequence were u talking about that was in gameplay u think was ps10 levels?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I love Sony open worlds. I 100% original Spider-Man on PS4. I 100% Forbidden West on PS5. Played through Zero Dawn twice (PS4, PC). I almost 100% Ghost of Tsushima. Days Gone is one of the most criminally underrated one, I've beaten it twice (PS4, PC). I even love Death Stranding and beaten that twice (PS4, PC)... almost 100% it, if not for stupid collectables. But this new Spider-Man 2... I think I had enough. It's the same fucking game for the third time. I'm playing it now and I just want it to end.
Yeah, spidey 2018 and morales were fun to replay but i don't know if i have a second run in me with this one.

lol spiderman does not even have the %1 of the satisfaction batman's combat gives
I mean rocksteady of old was just light years ahead of the goofballs at insomniac in just about every single metric. It’s not even really fair to compare them.

It’s less of Batman’s rival and more of a rival to other PS studios games. I said in the OT thread. It’s not Spider-Man’s Arkham per say, It’s more Spider-Man’s cinematic third person playstation exclusive

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
lol spiderman does not even have the %1 of the satisfaction batman's combat gives
Holy shit, and i thought i was the king of hyperboles in this topic...

We should open a new topic about this, i really want to hear why some people think that batman has the better combat and some people prefer spidey.

I guess it comes down to liking more grounded, realistic beatdowns over more acrobatic and fast paced style.

I think they are very close.

Last edited:
The opposite for me, after this one they are behind even sucker punch and bend on my list, i don't give a fuck if they release 4 games every 6 months.

Maybe with wolverine they are not gonna steal combat and stealth systems from other games and they are gonna deliver graphically and i'm gonna promote them to C+ or a B-, hopefully the A team worked on that one.

Or maybe SP and bend are gonna shit the bed aswell, i'm not sure about anything with sony teams tbh.
I hope Wolverine is VERY different from this. The MJ sections in this people were saying it was like The Last of Us - absolutely not lol - not even close. The Arkham games imo are still the best superhero games by far. This is good tho. I just am not wild about the combat loop in general something feels kinda clunky about it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I hope Wolverine is VERY different from this. The MJ sections in this people were saying it was like The Last of Us - absolutely not lol - not even close. The Arkham games imo are still the best superhero games by far. This is good tho. I just am not wild about the combat loop in general something feels kinda clunky about it.
I think i slightly prefer arkham asylum overall but spidey 2018 is my second place.

I really didn't liked origins and especially knight for different reason, but i liked city more than spidey 2.

Mj sections are better than previous game but still pretty shit, it feels like what would you let your 5 years old son play to get accustomed to serious stealth games, but they were still better than all the slow ass flashbacks or hailey mission or miles super woke sidequests or the fucking minigames, and when mj sections are not the worst part of your game, you know you have a problem.

I prefer the combat in spidey tbh.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I mean rocksteady of old was just light years ahead of the goofballs at insomniac in just about every single metric. It’s not even really fair to compare them.

It’s less of Batman’s rival and more of a rival to other PS studios games. I said in the OT thread. It’s not Spider-Man’s Arkham per say, It’s more Spider-Man’s cinematic third person playstation exclusive
Oh cmon, that's not true.

I think you people just vastly prefer batman over spidey.

SlimySnake

*maxed out on a $2000 PC
You can see the non RT version still looks fantastic in nvidia's comparisons. RT is just adding more shadows, AO and reflections to the image. It's not a major change. The game will look phenomenal on consoles no matter what the internal resolution ends up being. The game doesnt feature dynamic time of day so its not like it will benefit as much with path traced GI.

Once the Pro consoles come out, the PS5 version will have better IQ than the 3 year old consoles anyway.

You can see the non RT version still looks fantastic in nvidia's comparisons. RT is just adding more shadows, AO and reflections to the image. It's not a major change. The game will look phenomenal on consoles no matter what the internal resolution ends up being. The game doesnt feature dynamic time of day so its not like it will benefit as much with path traced GI.

Once the Pro consoles come out, the PS5 version will have better IQ than the 3 year old consoles anyway.
I hope you’re right on that. Guess we’ll find out soon. Doesn’t it come out like Thursday or something?

Xtib81

Sucker punch is rather small studio, around 130 developers if I'm not mistaken. I don't think GOT2 will release before Q2 2025. InFamous second son and GOT were lookers, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No it is true
Agree to disagree.

You can't tell me that you prefer the traversal in batman.

The batmobile was a joke that turned the game into a tps and made me actively hate knight, and the hook and glide are very simple mechanically, spidey is way more nuanced.

Number of moves\gadget in combat is also on spidey side.

Like, there are some things where you have to admit it comes down to personal preference and not a disparity in quality.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Rocksteady is ahead in game design. Their metroidvania inspired level design, and extremely tight combat mechanics are leagues ahead of what Insomniac does with spiderman games.

But insomniac exceeds in other areas. Traversal is much better, combat has its own strengths, story is better, setpieces are leagues ahead of what Arkham games do, and yes, even graphics are better. Though, 8 years removed, they should be. Suicide Squad looks dated as fuck next to spiderman and its also a next gen only game.

This is true. It sucks that most Sony studios either make straight up linear action games or when they go open world, they follow ubisoft instead of zelda. GOW is the only one that is still focused on following that metroidvania game design. Wish Spiderman 2 had some of those classic Arkahm City dungeons that forced you to use spidey abilities and gadgets to solve each dungeon.

I think i slightly prefer arkham asylum overall but spidey 2018 is my second place.

I really didn't liked origins and especially knight for different reason, but i liked city more than spidey 2.

Mj sections are better than previous game but still pretty shit, it feels like what would you let your 5 years old son play to get accustomed to serious stealth games, but they were still better than all the slow ass flashbacks or hailey mission or miles super woke sidequests or the fucking minigames, and when mj sections are not the worst part of your game, you know you have a problem.
Arkham Asylum in particular is what I’m referring to combat wise. Which was the best one to me. MJ sections are better than the first games for sure, but they still are not fun to play for me just feels kinda half baked. As do a lot of these sections when ur not playing as Spider-Man.

Senua

Gold Member
I know everyone creams over GoT but I could never get over the god awful textures. I couldn't even finish because the textures hurt my eyes.
Yep the art style is lovely but I couldn't believe how people just seemed to ignore how insanely low res the textures are

Agree to disagree.

You can't tell me that you prefer the traversal in batman.

The batmobile was a joke that turned the game into a tps and the hook and glide is very simple mechanically, spidey is way more nuanced.

Number of moves\gadget in combat is also on spidey side.

Like, there are some things where you have to admit it comes down to personal preference and not a disparity in quality.
I can tell you that watch this,

I like driving around in the batmobile drifting and hitting the turbo boost. It makes me feel like Batman and the eject and increased speed with gliding? Beautiful.

Also your last paragraph directly contradicts your second

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Arkham Asylum in particular is what I’m referring to combat wise. Which was the best one to me. MJ sections are better than the first games for sure, but they still are not fun to play for me just feels kinda half baked. As do a lot of these sections when ur not playing as Spider-Man.
Asylum was arguably the more limited one moveset wise.

I love that game but i don't see how the combat is vastly better than spidey, sorry.

yamaci17

Holy shit, and i thought i was the king of hyperboles in this topic...

We should open a new topic about this, i really want to hear why some people think that batman has the better combat and some people prefer spidey.

I guess it comes down to liking more grounded, realistic beatdowns over more acrobatic and fast paced style.

I think they are very close.
1, enemies in arkham games are much more detailed than spiderman. they have better animations, textures and models even though spiderman 2 is a nextgen title. batman's simple enemies have more character in them compared to generic spiderman thugs.
2, enemies in arkham games actually create a combat dynamic rather than just being there to be punchbags for spiderman
3, enemies in arkham games actually do have bones and they crack
4, even though less mobile, I feel like batman's free flow is more enjoyable for me. there's a satisfaction that increases as your combo number increases, the batman gets more agile, swift and can jump between enemies at farther distances
5, combos are more meaningful and actually change the pacing, speed and overall direction of the combat instead of being "just there" like in spiderman
6, enemy variety is better, and enemies do change the pace and direction of the combat (such as special knife enemies, baton enemies and the way batman uniquely and differently interacts with them. all of these seem to be there in spiderman but just as filler, not actual combat mechanics. like there's special enemy types, but they don't really feel special)
8, batman gadgets feel more special and useful in combat (like the hook etc. or just electified enemies requiring specific gadgets to remove their electricity aura or similar situations). whereas in spiderman, they just feel like "flavors" to make the combat feel less stale.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Watching new SM2 video from DF.
Lol just as they talk about "new, highly detailed interiors", they show this
Not only the characters are low quality which is perfectly FINE
but the doors are facing to the outside lol.

37uNm8Q.png

Then the director mentions "well the sm1 had some flat looking buildings so we wanted to take on that"... well....

SlimySnake

I'm playing with suit that has backpack with a pussy in it and it's ruining a lot of cinematics, clipping, glitching and ruining any sense of immersion.
ASM1 suit looks incredible in cutscenes. Especially in night time. Switch to that before doing story missions.

Most other suits are goofy. Who wants a hooded spiderman with a fucking cape.

GymWolf

Gold Member
1, enemies in arkham games are 150x more detailed than spiderman
2, enemies in arkham games actually create a combat dynamci rather than being "fillers of roles"
4, even though less mobile, I feel like batman's free flow is more enjoyable for me. there's a satisfaction that increases as your combo number increases, the batman gets more agile, swift and can jump between enemies at farther distances
5, combos are more meaningful and actually change the pacing, speed and overall direction of the combat instead of being "just there" like in spiderman
6, enemy variety is better, and enemies do change the pace and direction of the combat (such as special knife enemies, baton enemies and the way batman uniquely and differently interacts with them. all of these seem to be there in spiderman but just as filler, not actual combat mechanics. like there's special enemy types, but they don't really feel special)
8, batman gadgets feel more special and useful in combat (like the hook etc. or just electified enemies requiring specific gadgets to remove their electricity aura or similar situations). whereas in spiderman, they just feel like "flavors" to make the combat feel less stale.
I don't have time for a long response but i completely disagree and the first 3 points are downright hilarious, sorry.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
there was one planet that looked like no mans sky. Fallout 4 never looked this bad. At least it had good art as its saving grace. This level had the worst looking dinosaurs ive ever seen. The foliage looked straight up ps2 quality. like a game made by 20 indie devs like No Mans Sky was.

I think instead of doing 1000 procedurally generated planets, they shouldve done 5 like Mass Effect Andromeda. Each with a distinct biome and focused on making them all fun to explore. I have zero reason to explore any of these planets especially when the main campaign and faction quests are basically talking to people and then getting into firefights indoors 90% of the time.

Some planets you visit for story missions do look decent, but there is zero reason to explore them. I just dont understand why this game was made like this.

iC5RRiE.gif

Outdoor elevation data, assets textures, lighting and generally flora&fauna is good enough (barely so, but 100x better than NMS at least). But their engineering and procedural technology are simply not good enough for contemporary fidelity in a 1000-planets game, that's pretty much it. It's spread way to thin.

BGS should've invested in specialist engineers to, in the latter years, to build machine learning models to handle diverse mission and asset placement on a ten-fold increased granular level. AND it all needed to be implemented together with solid streaming technology for a seamless experience a la CP and SC/SQ42.

They should've had the foresight eight years ago to discuss the possible weak points where the player illusion/immersion could break. CIG had a plan for this already when BGS released Skyrim ffs..

/Certified armchair expert

But then again; If the game makes profits, well.., then who am I to say they played a bad hand.. Idk..

Last edited:
Rocksteady is ahead in game design. Their metroidvania inspired level design, and extremely tight combat mechanics are leagues ahead of what Insomniac does with spiderman games.

But insomniac exceeds in other areas. Traversal is much better, combat has its own strengths, story is better, setpieces are leagues ahead of what Arkham games do, and yes, even graphics are better. Though, 8 years removed, they should be. Suicide Squad looks dated as fuck next to spiderman and its also a next gen only game.
Story? Oh fuck no. Get that outta my face. And again, rocksteady wasn’t trying to make a Sony first party game featuring Spider-Man. They’re not interested in “WOOOOAH SANDMAN IS SO BIIIIG!” “WOOOOAH EPIIIIC CONVOY CHASE!” They’re more “on the sticks” as Bruce strailly (spelling that wrong) of ND used to put it. Which is to say a focus on solid core gameplay mechanics. And integrating that in the story and flow of the game.

And graphically AK punks SM2 in some ways and it’s from 2015. Character models are an obvious one off the top of my head

Last edited:
Asylum was arguably the more limited one moveset wise.

I love that game but i don't see how the combat is vastly better than spidey, sorry.
I mean this probably deserves a separate thread - but it might honestly be the limitations that make it feel better to play. There’s a simplicity to it I guess I prefer - It feels more specific to me/responsive in some way - whereas in the spider man games it feels a bit more all over the place. I still enjoy the combat but not on the same level. But that might be just the nature of open world.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They are showing thos REAL NY WATER VS IN GAME... and I fail to see any similarity. Like.... it's a different water. Especially in motion at 9:15

PeteBull

the best looking games last Gen were exclusive to a $400 console
Nopes, i love my ps4 but top end pc rig produced better graphics, by a lot, ofc at 400$ consoles have amazing value and had great lookings games too.

Rdr2 maxed out, at launch, running on 2080ti so flahship gpu from mid 2018, definitely last gen, and yet definitely better from what consoles could produce, hell its still better from most current gen games, and thats 5yo pc gpu :)

Nopes, i love my ps4 but top end pc rig produced better graphics, by a lot, ofc at 400$ consoles have amazing value and had great lookings games too.

Rdr2 maxed out, at launch, running on 2080ti so flahship gpu from mid 2018, definitely last gen, and yet definitely better from what consoles could produce, hell its still better from most current gen games, and thats 5yo pc gpu :)

Ah I forgot out the legendary RDR2 maxed out on a PC.

Alright well that’s still just one game with a huge budget and 3000 man team. I mean it’s rockstar. The kings of the whole industry. And ya know some PS exclusives at the time maybe still have beat it in select little areas. Like character models maybe.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I mean this probably deserves a separate thread - but it might honestly be the limitations that make it feel better to play. There’s a simplicity to it I guess I prefer - It feels more specific to me/responsive in some way - whereas in the spider man games it feels a bit more all over the place. I still enjoy the combat but not on the same level. But that might be just the nature of open world.
I perfectly understand the first part.

anothertech

1, enemies in arkham games are much more detailed than spiderman. they have better animations, textures and models even though spiderman 2 is a nextgen title. batman's simple enemies have more character in them compared to generic spiderman thugs.
2, enemies in arkham games actually create a combat dynamic rather than just being there to be punchbags for spiderman
Nostalgia is something isn't it?

Opinion is one thing, but man the jank in some of those old games is just over the top. Objectively false in almost all comparisons sir. But you can like batman. It's ok.

Top Bottom