• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

DanielG165

The batmobile was a joke
I disagree, especially when looking at the overall game, you were more on foot than you were actively piloting the Batmobile. Plus, for Rocksteady’s first ever foray into designing a playable/controllable vehicle, they absolutely nailed it. It’s no exaggeration for me to say that the AK Batmobile(s) are some of the best arcade style vehicles I’ve ever driven, and that’s mightily impressive coming from a studio whom had no previous experience with vehicle controls.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You were one of the best slimy but they broke you.
Obi Wan GIF by Star Wars

Like i said earlier today, this was always me. I found next gen in horizon while admitting and even highlighting its flaws AFTER playing the matrix demo. This year, im doing that with starfield, ff16, spiderman 2 and now alan wake 2 and apparently ive lost my mind.

Not everything will look and play next gen. Sometimes you have to take what the devs give you and enjoy it. Starfield sucked ass as a video game, and looked like a no mans sky mod at times outdoors, but I was able to find solace in its sublime interior graphics rendering and modeling. FF16 looks like shit at times and pre-rendered others. it has setpieces i have never seen at this level of fidelity. What do you want me to do? just not enjoy it? lol

Spiderman is doing the same thing. fucking A alloush is on a gaming sabbatical or something otherwise i would spam this thread with all the insane next gen only moments ive played so far. it is using last gen assets, but also pushing next gen tech in ways we have simply not seen. i am not going to ignore all that.

Besides, every game will have its ugly moments. I dont care if its running on ue5 with nanite like lords of the fallen or an inhouse engine. All this thread does nowadays is post the shit screenshots to dismiss everything else the game is doing next gen.

Avatar has RTGI, RT reflections and RT shadows and some of the best foliage ive ever seen. people on twitter will meme the game regardless. cherrypicked horizon comparisons will be made and we are going to be asked to pretend its not next gen because at times horizon would look better. we have to be better than that.

As a preemptive strike, this is next gen. This is not me losing my mind or lowering my standards. this is simply next gen.
goVRh8P.gif

97WAqnD.gif

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Yeah some people here have really lost the plot as far as next gen graphics go. I’m gonna post these 2 gems here as a reminder and implore you all to rewatch. It’s probably been awhile since a lot of you have watched these. Especially the first one. I’d also like to remind you out there that both of these are running real time on PS5. No trickery. Until developers are even trying to get close to this I won’t accept table scraps and PS4 games masquerading as PS5 games. 60fps has ruined tech advances.

giphy.gif

bd60ee1fe0fab17e822b22a6554907ec5f27d971.gifv

d591a6a7df5d5916d4baf4421e542a1959c7c876.gifv

ee474d44fe715df989874c33f5281683a4c5d5c7.gifv

f67fe1407be19aa05a5e84969427e69695d9f1de.gifv

3e53807f2cbf671ca4aa0b58e3d3422fe11916fe.gifv

giphy.gif

d749530f49e5967bae823ab1259fe417670f68de.gif

This looks better.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This post in the UE5 reveal thread made me laugh.

I have to be honest, it looks good, even great, but it really doesn't blow my mind.

I think it's gonna be surpassed in a couple of years by any proper triple A game with big budget from the usual wizardry studios.

I liked the debris from the rocks tho.

I watched the video in a tablet at 1080p, maybe on a tv at 4k my judgement will be different.
Classic Gymwolf. Sees a 10/10 victoria secret model and is like 'meh, ive seen better'.

I dont know why im not in that thread. I was posting that day about the demo and the rest of the month in the next gen spec thread so not sure why i would skip the main thread.

JimRyanGOAT

Classic Gymwolf. Sees a 10/10 victoria secret model and is like 'meh, ive seen better'.

I dont know why im not in that thread. I was posting that day about the demo and the rest of the month in the next gen spec thread so not sure why i would skip the main thread.
IF that UE5 Matrix Demo is actually possible on a large scale real time game there is only one developer that can exceed it or come close

Rockstar games with GTA 6

Last edited:

miklonus

The MJ sections in this people were saying it was like The Last of Us - absolutely not lol - not even close.
Whoa whoa whoa - hold the fuck on now. Mary Jane is in a dilapidated zoo that made me instantly think of The Last Of Us. When you're looking for the key, after you knock the female guard out, the female guard standing in front of the broadcasting radio.

It doesn't remind you in ANY way?

And anyone reading this may think I'm describing the stealth elements of a smaller girl knocking out a larger opponent my sneaking up on them and incapacitating them, but I am talking about how the zoo, particularly that specific part I just described, looks wrecked.

Saying there's no comparison is straight bullshit and a misinformation campaign.

Represent.

Alright maybe not better than UE5 but if the bar is "Anything below this is trash" then we will forever be disappointed.

Its a slow process throughout the gen to build up to that UE5 fidelity. We will get there by the end of the gen.

If nothing else, thats what I personally wanted from the PS5 all these years. To be able to traverse fast and look good while doing so. I have no idea why people think spiderman 2 looks bad. With the new lighting, reflections and even the enhanced building assets, it looks fucking stunning when flying at high speeds. I feel like i am taking crazy pills because this is the closest any game has come to matching the magic of the UE5 demo fly sequence.
Dude. Compare them side by side. We understand Spider-Man go zoom zoom really fast. We get it. It’s neat. Journey let you slide down hills really fast did you see anyone praising that shit? No because common sense tells us if the overall visual fidelity is lame as shit or otherwise just not all that impressive nobody cares how fast you’re going. SM2 looks like a goddamn PS3 game side by side. It’s a joke. We’re talking a literal generational leap between the two.

If you think SM2 even deserves to be in the same sentence as the UE5 demo than we’ve truly lost you and GymWolf is stepping up to be the new graphics high standard having gatekeeper

Last edited:

SlimySnake

IF that UE5 Matrix Demo is actually possible on a large scale real time game there is only one developer that can exceed it or come close

Rockstar games with GTA 6
I can all but promise you that gta6 wont look as good as the matrix demo. it will be doing all kinds of insane next gen things like npc, weather and water simulations with crazy advancements in physics and people will look at the graphics not looking as good as the matrix demo and trash it like its no mans sky.

I can all but promise you that gta6 wont look as good as the matrix demo. it will be doing all kinds of insane next gen things like npc, weather and water simulations with crazy advancements in physics and people will look at the graphics not looking as good as the matrix demo and trash it like its no mans sky.
I expect RDR2 upgraded remaster edition basically

I expect a small but noticeable jump from RDR2 but I’ll eat my shoe if it even is within striking distance of the matrix demo. We’ll see though. Rockstar is the best of the best

Lethal01

I'm still praying for the day we get that demo's level of direct and indirect shadows in games that aren't fortnite.

Whether you watch that demo in 480p or 4k it's clear how much better the lighting is than what we currently got

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa - hold the fuck on now. Mary Jane is in a dilapidated zoo that made me instantly think of The Last Of Us. When you're looking for the key, after you knock the female guard out, the female guard standing in front of the broadcasting radio.

It doesn't remind you in ANY way?

And anyone reading this may think I'm describing the stealth elements of a smaller girl knocking out a larger opponent my sneaking up on them and incapacitating them, but I am talking about how the zoo, particularly that specific part I just described, looks wrecked.

Saying there's no comparison is straight bullshit and a misinformation campaign.
That’s just disrespectful to the last of us’s gameplay if u legit think they are similar - any generic 3rd person stealth gameplay where ur a girl would be like the last of us then

Represent.

Holy fuck this set piece in Spider-Man 2 is fucking fantastic. It was shown a bit in the trailers but the full extent of it is incredible

Its the
Lizard chase through the city. not the water one. the one through the city

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Holy fuck this set piece in Spider-Man 2 is fucking fantastic. It was shown a bit in the trailers but the full extent of it is incredible

Its the
Lizard chase through the city. not the water one. the one through the city

I thought it was pretty meh but just my 2 cents.

SlimySnake

ChiefDada ChiefDada As promised last month. Comparing this insomniac promo shot to the final game. Way better shadows and slightly better indirect lighting. Buildings simply stand out more in the bullshot. My HDR settings seem to be blowing out the clouds in the sky. The color tone also seems to be warm here, i use neutral but neither tv setting should be impacting my screenshot captures.

Still a massive improvement over Spiderman remastered though.

F6KDPfqWcAAIc5Q

F9QXHehWAAAV2y_

F6MSdL6WYAAuXCM

Ignoring the fact that this is an insomniac bullshot, thats an inaccurate comparison. insomniacs promo shot is from central park. the other scene is from a different park on the other side of the Empire State Building.

Regardless, if this bullshot graphics are actually what we end up getting in the final game then i would be very impressed. the lighting is obviously way better, but the buildings look great too with RT reflections really really adding a lot to the image compared to some very flat looking buildings in the first spiderman game.

F6KDPfqWcAAIc5Q

here is what it looks like. we can bookmark this post and get back to this when the game releases and we can do a non-bullshot comparison.

From Spiderman Midday
F6MSdL6WYAAuXCM

Spiderman dusk time
F6MSd8hX0AAmWEo

Spiderman miles
F6MSdk_XQAAXPMb

Here is a comparison of the screenshot in the tweet. Im too lazy to go back there and take a midday shot but you can see just how good it looks in dusk time in the same game.

F6KDPfmXUAAiGMx

F6MSeRWXUAAEot-
I will do this one next when i get to this time of day again.

F6EzdMWbsAAHsZp

CGNoire

Agree to disagree.

You can't tell me that you prefer the traversal in batman.

The batmobile was a joke that turned the game into a tps and made me actively hate knight, and the hook and glide are very simple mechanically, spidey is way more nuanced.

Number of moves\gadget in combat is also on spidey side.

Like, there are some things where you have to admit it comes down to personal preference and not a disparity in quality.
I get what your saying about TPS but aside from that the Batmobile was awesome. It was only really held back by the fact that your gliding mechanic was way too overpowered as a traversal tool rendering the batmobile unneeded.

CGNoire

See above. You guys need to go watch the ue5 demo again. it aint the graphical showpiece it was 3 years ago. i just watched it five seconds ago and Alan Wake 2 clearly looks better.
The asset quality difference is simply massive. Only the character in the 1st UE5 demo looks worse. That demo is billions of polygons. Probably more than all the buildings in NY in SM2 put together.

Represent.

God, the non-setpiece cutscenes in Spidey 2 truly are trash. The facial animations man. Its like they didn't even finish motion capture or something. I dont know why the character models look so bad in cutscenes. They needed more time to cook. This game could have been a masterpiece with 6-12 more months in the oven to bring the character models and VFX work up to the level of the city graphics and traversal gameplay.

This is why ND is still the top. fucking developer out there. They take that extra time to bring every aspect of their game to the top level. Theres no such thing as amazing looking environments and bad character models in an ND game.

Theres levels.

But man when Spidey 2 looks good, it looks good.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
ChiefDada ChiefDada As promised last month. Comparing this insomniac promo shot to the final game. Way better shadows and slightly better indirect lighting. Buildings simply stand out more in the bullshot. My HDR settings seem to be blowing out the clouds in the sky. The color tone also seems to be warm here, i use neutral but neither tv setting should be impacting my screenshot captures.

Still a massive improvement over Spiderman remastered though.

F6KDPfqWcAAIc5Q

F9QXHehWAAAV2y_

F6MSdL6WYAAuXCM

I will do this one next when i get to this time of day again.

F6EzdMWbsAAHsZp

Looks very similar to me but fair enough.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
God, the non-setpiece cutscenes in Spidey 2 truly are trash. The facial animations man. Its like they didn't even finish motion capture or something. I dont know why the character models look so bad in cutscenes. They needed more time to cook. This game could have been a masterpiece with 6-12 more months in the oven to bring the character models and VFX work up to the level of the city graphics and traversal gameplay.

This is why ND is still the top. fucking developer out there. They take that extra time to bring every aspect of their game to the top level. Theres no such thing as amazing looking environments and bad character models in an ND game.

Theres levels.

All of the character face rendering and animations took a big step back in fidelity and its not a bug because it remains low quality throughout the entire game. I don't think I've ever come across a regression like this before. I really think they pulled back on the cinematic budget.

Represent.

All of the character face rendering and animations took a big step back in fidelity and its not a bug because it remains low quality throughout the entire game. I don't think I've ever come across a regression like this before. I really think they pulled back on the cinematic budget.
They better take what they saved on this and put it into Wolverine. Because a linear 3rd person action game like that needs to have good facial animations

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Like i said earlier today, this was always me. I found next gen in horizon while admitting and even highlighting its flaws AFTER playing the matrix demo. This year, im doing that with starfield, ff16, spiderman 2 and now alan wake 2 and apparently ive lost my mind.

Not everything will look and play next gen. Sometimes you have to take what the devs give you and enjoy it. Starfield sucked ass as a video game, and looked like a no mans sky mod at times outdoors, but I was able to find solace in its sublime interior graphics rendering and modeling. FF16 looks like shit at times and pre-rendered others. it has setpieces i have never seen at this level of fidelity. What do you want me to do? just not enjoy it? lol

Spiderman is doing the same thing. fucking A alloush is on a gaming sabbatical or something otherwise i would spam this thread with all the insane next gen only moments ive played so far. it is using last gen assets, but also pushing next gen tech in ways we have simply not seen. i am not going to ignore all that.

Besides, every game will have its ugly moments. I dont care if its running on ue5 with nanite like lords of the fallen or an inhouse engine. All this thread does nowadays is post the shit screenshots to dismiss everything else the game is doing next gen.

Avatar has RTGI, RT reflections and RT shadows and some of the best foliage ive ever seen. people on twitter will meme the game regardless. cherrypicked horizon comparisons will be made and we are going to be asked to pretend its not next gen because at times horizon would look better. we have to be better than that.

As a preemptive strike, this is next gen. This is not me losing my mind or lowering my standards. this is simply next gen.
goVRh8P.gif

97WAqnD.gif
This is fake. Not next gen

Theres levels.

Question is, with factions cancelled when are we gonna get a legit naughty dog game? Uncharted 4 and Last of us 2 look nearly as good as most ps5 games and better than some - I still don’t think their cinematics have been matched. I want a game like that in the current generation.

PeteBull

They better take what they saved on this and put it into Wolverine. Because a linear 3rd person action game like that needs to have good facial animations
Wolverine on upcoming ps5pr0 could actually look even better, no fast pace travel, more linear/corridor alike game, instead of huge city/open world so definitely more budget left for graphics, spiderman2 looks good and definitely above even spiderman ps5 remaster, just it isnt crazy difference we normally expect from gen to gen(like say last of us ps4 remaster to last of us 2 graphics wise, its more subtle- except that traversal speed, thats pretty huge improvement and very impressive).

setoman

And Alan wake 2 looks better than the first ue5 demo.
This is a hard disagree. Even by you just months ago. I believe even you said the forest section didn't look better than TLOUS2.
Are you sure you are not hacked?

BTW I agree with GymWolf GymWolf Alan Wake 2 .
The environment lacks asset density.
The forest looks worse than the Book of the Dead because of that.
Take another scene, the road town scene you posted.
Again, it looks pristine and very unlike the real world.
The real world include un-even roads, sand, gravel, small concrete rocks, weeds/grasses, variety of road debris and trash.
Instead AW2 opts for using a bunch of repeated paper debris to create the illusion of clutter (in the time square night scene).

Before we even try to compare it to UE5 demo. First compare it to the Quixel 90 Days demo.
All these pics have one thing in common and thats asset density which AW2 lacks.
Even when you watch all three forest video below. AW2 still lacks asset density to match it forest for forest.
AW2 forest looks last gen because of that lack of density.

You would think with their use of messh shader this would be not be a prob. Idk if the issue is their tech or just bad level design / environment artist

jakob-keudel-unique03-edited02.jpg

jakob-keudel-unique02.jpg

isac-crafoord-as-25-abandonedfactory-isaccrafoord-01.jpg

isac-crafoord-as-25-abandonedfactory-isaccrafoord-05.jpg

FOREST VIDEOS

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I disagree, especially when looking at the overall game, you were more on foot than you were actively piloting the Batmobile. Plus, for Rocksteady’s first ever foray into designing a playable/controllable vehicle, they absolutely nailed it. It’s no exaggeration for me to say that the AK Batmobile(s) are some of the best arcade style vehicles I’ve ever driven, and that’s mightily impressive coming from a studio whom had no previous experience with vehicle controls.
Glad you liked it.
And you're basing this off of what exactly? Did you major in oceanography or is this a "Trust Me Bro" type of situation?

Better yet: "Graphical Fidelity We Arbitrarily Hate On Because 'Reasons'"
Or even better "graphical fidelity we overly praise because it's from momma sony"

GymWolf

Gold Member
What happened
Mediocrity won.

Yea, i thought that sony teams could have done a better job.

Boy i was fucking wrong.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dude. Compare them side by side. We understand Spider-Man go zoom zoom really fast. We get it. It’s neat. Journey let you slide down hills really fast did you see anyone praising that shit? No because common sense tells us if the overall visual fidelity is lame as shit or otherwise just not all that impressive nobody cares how fast you’re going. SM2 looks like a goddamn PS3 game side by side. It’s a joke. We’re talking a literal generational leap between the two.

If you think SM2 even deserves to be in the same sentence as the UE5 demo than we’ve truly lost you and GymWolf is stepping up to be the new graphics high standard having gatekeeper
No i'm stepping down if anything.

It has become kinda tiring, it's better to just settle down and accept that this gen is just a shitty step into an (hopefully) better future.

From now on, my standard reaction is gonna be "it looks incredible" or "nextgen has finally come and so am i" :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

CGNoire

No i'm stepping down if anything.

It has become kinda tiring, it's better to just settle down and accept that this gen is just a shitty step into an (hopefully) better future.

From now on, my standard reaction is gonna be "it looks incredible" or "nextgen has finally come and so am i" :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Yah Im getting tired and demoralized as well. Weve even got Slimy joining the other gaslighters. Shits straight sad.

alloush

You'd need to eclipse the matrix demo and thats not happening until next next gen.
This part concerned me “next next gen” :messenger_pensive:. Are we talking ps7?
See above. You guys need to go watch the ue5 demo again. it aint the graphical showpiece it was 3 years ago. i just watched it five seconds ago and Alan Wake 2 clearly looks better.
Ahh Slimy is now having his alloush moment being attacked left, right and center and being asked if he is alright or been hacked which I had to deal with when I criticized that god-awful looking game called CyberCrap. Nothing better than being attacked by hordes of people for being brutally honest.
Spiderman is doing the same thing. fucking A alloush A alloush is on a gaming sabbatical or something otherwise i would spam this thread with all the insane next gen only moments ive played so far.
Have at it, man, share freely it’s ok. I should be getting the game soon. You’re right I have been on a sabbatical, certainly doesn’t help being stuck in the middle of the war currently taking place in the Middle East :messenger_grinning_smiling:

alloush

I gotcha. But out of curiosity do you think the assets of Alan Wake are nanite level or that the UE5 demo is inferior looking to Anal Wake 2?
You promise to not laugh at me? I haven't seen the new one yet🙈. I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Slimy by the way haha, just saying he is going through what I went through!

Edit: why do people keep calling it Anal Wake that's hilarious

Last edited:

alloush

Gymwolf. I used to call it the same circa 2010. All in good fun.
Just watched the Nvidia trailer, it was too dark for me to come up with any conclusions on how it stacks up against that UE5 demo that Slimy was referring to, which I believe is that PS5 UE5 demo from 3 years ago? the one in the desert?

CGNoire

Just watched the Nvidia trailer, it was too dark for me to come up with any conclusions on how it stacks up against that UE5 demo that Slimy was referring to, which I believe is that PS5 UE5 demo from 3 years ago? the one in the desert?
Yep thats the one. I save yah some time it doesnt. Slimy heard Alan Wake was using mesh shaders and ever since then he has been speaking in tongues.

Last edited:

ckstine

I think what would raise my views on SM and SM2 would be a free-play mode where you can select a pre-set TOD. That would also be great for screen-shotters and people like Petri.

Hugare

I finished Spider-Man 2 last night and I can finally move on to better things. I feel FREEEEEEEE!

tumblr_p9ogmmQVRH1uggcp9o1_500.gif
lol, thats my goal as well

Was complaining about it to my gf yesterday, and then I went to play it, and she said "but you said its not that good?"

My parents didnt raise a quitter (who paid $70 for the game)

The Lisard part was pretty awesome, tho. Seems like the story is picking up.

Love what it does in terms of rendering the city fast with the SSD, but graphically, I'm still not finding it impressive at all.

Booted up Arkham Knight yesterday just for fun, and at times (not rarely) it looks better. The game at 4K is something else.

People need to understand that we've reached a point where the tech can only do so much to make a game pretty. Its all about that tech + talented devs + talented artists. Thats why AK still looks so damn good using UE 3 and why Lords of the Fallen doesnt look mindblowing despite being made in UE 5.

Spider-man 2 still looks so "plasticky" in places. Character models are subpar. Skin shading is downright bad for a PS5 title.

Stuff like this, for example

Why is this impressive again? The RT on the windows?

If I look up pretty much anywhere in Cyberpunk, it will look better than this, seriously

Last edited:
Top Bottom