• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sounds to me like you just dropped your standards and we kept ours. I think once this gen really kicks in and we get proper next gen looking games you'll all see that our favourite expectations were as reasonable as they should be.
Pretty much.

Although i'm losing faith in the bolded part by the day...

These console are weak and devs decided that 60 fps and showing off the ssd are better than showing off other things.

It speaks volume when people are satiated with some traffic, slightly better lights and some qte infested setpieces with big enemies.

Well, time to finish spidey 2, i think i'm pretty close to the ending, bye folks.

Last edited:

Edder1

Pretty much.

These console are weak and devs decided that 60 fps and showing off the ssd is better than showing off other things.
Don't forget doing ray tracing (extremely expensive on AMD GPUs) at that 60fps you mentioned, in an open world game no less.

Pretty much.

These console are weak and devs decided that 60 fps and showing off the ssd are better than showing off other things.

It speaks volume when people are satiated with some traffic, slightly better lights and some qte infested setpieces with big enemies.
The consoles can do a generational leap though. But yes devs have rested on 60fps shiny PS4 games so we’re kinda fucked.

Starfield omitting it gives me hope but I don’t know how well that game did and PS studios seem particularly hellbent on 60

Yeah some people here have really lost the plot as far as next gen graphics go. I’m gonna post these 2 gems here as a reminder and implore you all to rewatch. It’s probably been awhile since a lot of you have watched these. Especially the first one. I’d also like to remind you out there that both of these are running real time on PS5. No trickery. Until developers are even trying to get close to this I won’t accept table scraps and PS4 games masquerading as PS5 games. 60fps has ruined tech advances.

If people truly believe sm2 reaches the level of that matrix video we are lost

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Same as always. Game is extremely inconsistent. This wasn't the case with Spider-Man on PS4. That game screamed polish and quality.

Ok. Everyone here agrees with you on this. But it has nothing to do with my comments.

And yet you were the one that was the most critical of the game leading up to launch., yet suddenly changed your stance close to launch. Tell me, how much of that Insomniac money did DahDah pay you??

Maybe because he played the game and is forming his own opinions both positive and negative? People can't adjust their opinions based on new, first-hand experience?

You can choose to not be miserable, you know.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And yet you were the one that was the most critical of the game leading up to launch., yet suddenly changed your stance close to launch. Tell me, how much of that Insomniac money did DahDah pay you?? I also want some.
I trust my eyes. When I saw that there was indeed a massive difference from the first game, yes I changed my tune. Im still not letting the poor character models or the lack of a generational upgrade on buildings slide, so its not like im straight up sucking their dick.

ITJGxKk.jpg
KWVQpN8.jpg
VypCB3j.jpg

Edder1

I trust my eyes. When I saw that there was indeed a massive difference from the first game, yes I changed my tune. Im still not letting the poor character models or the lack of a generational upgrade on buildings slide, so its not like im straight up sucking their dick.

ITJGxKk.jpg
KWVQpN8.jpg
VypCB3j.jpg
I'm not seeing anything in those screens that constitutes generational leap or anything even close to that. To each their own I guess. To me they look like a difference between low and high settings, not games on different console generations.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

ITJGxKk.jpg
KWVQpN8.jpg
VypCB3j.jpg
I don't consider that enough of a nextgen jump and you know those spidey pics are shit, go into the reeee photo topic for the first game to see how it really looks (since in here people think that photomode pics is how the game actually look).

Then you compare to crossgen morales and the difference is even smaller.

Its' pretty telling when 2 AA games like Anal wake 2 and space marine 2 can look as good or better than a sony triple A with the biggest "A" team behind it.
(and if they are AAA they don't have NEARLY the same amount of budget and manpower)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I'm not seeing anything in those screens that constitutes generational leap or anything even close to that. To each their own I guess. To me they look like a difference between low and high settings, not games on different console generations.
you do realize we got PC versions of Spiderman 1 and Miles and we never got anything even remotely close to this? We also got PS5 remasters with enhanced traffic and pedestrian density and it was not even close to this.

if you want to ignore the improvements they have made with the CPU, the ssd, and the GPU in terms of lighting, draw distance, and ray tracing then be my guest. I have been playing games on PC long enough to know that no dev in their right mind would create two separate systems for PC and consoles. If that was the case, we wouldve been getting this caliber of traffic and pedestrian density back in 2013 when PC CPUs were already 4x faster than console CPUs. We wouldve been getting faster traversal in PC ports of Batman and other superhero games. We wouldve been getting completely revamped lighting models in PC, but we never did until path tracing came along and even that is building off of the same lighting engine, just producing more accurate results during transitions rather than offering a completely different lighting model like we see here. You can see that Path Tracing does not change the overall lighting in Alan wake 2. So low to high? not even close.

They have completely revamped the lighting. Its not low to high in either lighting, traffic, or draw distance. Watch the interview and they will tell you how they used to handle LODS in even the PS5 version of the remaster and use non-RT reflections on distant buildings and how they have reworked all that.

Xtib81

Spider-Man 2 killed all my hype for Wolverine. I just did a quest:

- collect 3 plants
- do a 'puzzle' (heh) to combine them
- patch few water pipe leaks with your webs

That's it. That's the entire activity. What. The. Hell. This is Bethesda level of quests where all you do is collect a beverage and deliver it to the other side of the universe.

More next-gen water:

F9NONMhXIAACtsY

Honestly, spider man's open world is shitty. What saves it are the traversal mechanics but the side activities are utter trash : very simple, short, not interesting and repetitive.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I don't consider that enough of a nextgen jump and you know those spidey pics are shit, go into the reeee photo topic for the first game to see how it really looks (since in here people think that photomode pics is how the game actually look).

Then you compare to crossgen morales and the difference is even smaller.

Its' pretty telling when 2 AA games like Anal wake 2 and space marine 2 can look as good or better than a sony triple A with the biggest "A" team behind it.
(and if they are AAA they don't have NEARLY the same amount of budget and manpower)
I dont know about Space Marine devs, but Remedy has 360 employees according to their website. Insomniac has 550 but they split it into three teams. One making spiderman, the other wolverine and the last one a gaas superhero game like suicide squad. So i wouldnt be surprised if this team is actually smaller than Remedy's main team.

That said, i dont think its an excuse and they shouldve been able to make a bigger leap. I just think whats here is not PC low vs high or something that we need to throwaway and call people sellouts for simply pointing it out.

And i took those spidey gifs from the DF developer interview im watching. you can watch the clips yourself starting at 23:30. Thats just how the game looks.

P.S I can promise you, people will be shitting on space marine 2 the day it comes out using bad character models and other dumb shit to dismiss its accomplishments.

Edder1

you do realize we got PC versions of Spiderman 1 and Miles and we never got anything even remotely close to this? We also got PS5 remasters with enhanced traffic and pedestrian density and it was not even close to this.

if you want to ignore the improvements they have made with the CPU, the ssd, and the GPU in terms of lighting, draw distance, and ray tracing then be my guest. I have been playing games on PC long enough to know that no dev in their right mind would create two separate systems for PC and consoles. If that was the case, we wouldve been getting this caliber of traffic and pedestrian density back in 2013 when PC CPUs were already 4x faster than console CPUs. We wouldve been getting faster traversal in PC ports of Batman and other superhero games. We wouldve been getting completely revamped lighting models in PC, but we never did until path tracing came along and even that is building off of the same lighting engine, just producing more accurate results during transitions rather than offering a completely different lighting model like we see here. You can see that Path Tracing does not change the overall lighting in Alan wake 2. So low to high? not even close.

They have completely revamped the lighting. Its not low to high in either lighting, traffic, or draw distance. Watch the interview and they will tell you how they used to handle LODS in even the PS5 version of the remaster and use non-RT reflections on distant buildings and how they have reworked all that.
I remember you used to write pieces like these to dismiss the game, now you writing them in defense of it. You're free to change your mind of course.

Last edited:

Alex11

This is why whenever i hear people praise Path tracing or even RTGI as superior to baked lighting, I like to point out that it mostly on impacts the actual transition or dynamic elements that we simply dont see in video games. Not even in Starfield which uses realtime GI. Most of the time the lighting is static indoors where the game looks best.
Are you saying the baked lighting in SM2 is better than PT Cyberpunk?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I dont know about Space Marine devs, but Remedy has 360 employees according to their website. Insomniac has 550 but they split it into three teams. One making spiderman, the other wolverine and the last one a gaas superhero game like suicide squad. So i wouldnt be surprised if this team is actually smaller than Remedy's main team.

That said, i dont think its an excuse and they shouldve been able to make a bigger leap. I just think whats here is not PC low vs high or something that we need to throwaway and call people sellouts for simply pointing it out.

And i took those spidey gifs from the DF developer interview im watching. you can watch the clips yourself starting at 23:30. Thats just how the game looks.

P.S I can promise you, people will be shitting on space marine 2 the day it comes out using bad character models and other dumb shit to dismiss its accomplishments.
Of course not, that would be a major difference :lollipop_squinting:

I think you people forgot how games look with everything on low.
(i mean in games with non-busted settings)

Also, you really think 100+ men worked on spidey 2? the biggest success of past gen for sony? cmon.

Last edited:
Gaf: "Do you think SM2 looks last gen?"

SlimySnake SlimySnake : "No!"

Gaf: "No????"

SlimySnake SlimySnake : "lol no............"

giphy.gif
It really does feel like we’re never going to get the UE5 reveal demo/matrix demo level fidelity this whole gen… we’re coming up on halfway through and garbage like Spider-Man 2 is our current AAA blockbuster release. The shining examples of graphics 3 years in is a cross gen game and a launch title. Like wtf

Imagine if in late 2016 the best graphics were KZSF and watch dogs or something like that

We’re just so far behind the pace. Yeah I know Alan wake/avatar/space marines look good but you know what I mean. Maybe COVID fucked us up or maybe AAA game development is just truly unsustainable because none of the first parties have anything to show. Even insiders were confused about the radio silence at the PS showcase. There’s nothing in the pipeline seemingly. A lot of people who work in the industry have been sounding the alarm on giant AAA development being a bubble that will burst. Maybe we’re seeing that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Btw i watched the AW2 nvidia trailer.

What do you people want me to say exactly? nice lights? nice shadows? nice reflections? you got it.

It doesn't exactly make my panties wet but it looks good, it looks better than spidey 2, i give you that:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The fact that the game looks boring as fuck and i didn't liked AW1 doesn't play in its favour, control 2 is gonna be the real treat.

(and hopefully the 2 max payne remasters)

Last edited:
Btw i watched the AW2 nvidia trailer.

What do you people want me to say exactly? nice lights? nice shadows? nice reflections? you got it.

It doesn't exactly make my panties wet but it looks good, it looks better than spidey 2, i give you that:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Literally demon souls the launch title mops the floor with Spider-Man 2

Horizon 2 is a souped up PS4 game and it clears Spider-Man 2

Fucking rift apart from the same studio 2 years ago beats Spider-Man 2

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Are you saying the baked lighting in SM2 is better than PT Cyberpunk?
No. This is a callback to the conversation we are having earlier about Alan wake 2 only looking next Gen on $2000 gpus running path tracing. I pointed out that the game will look next Gen even on consoles without path tracing because the game has static time of day so the path tracing GI wont impact the fidelity as much. Hell even horizon fw which does have dynamic time of day has better lighting than most games. The only difference is that it switches between different bakes a little more abruptly than say a game with rtgi, lumen or pt.

It should be obvious now that baked lighting doesn’t mean bad lighting. It is clearly computationally expensive taking days to render. I have posted many cyberpunk screenshots that show very little difference between path tracing and standard rasterization. Then Turk comes in and posts all these shots showing drastic differences that mostly happen on time of day transitions. Something that would not be needed in games like Spider-Man 2, ac Unity and Alan wake 2. So why bother? Just add rt reflections and stick with baked lighting. Ac Unity still looks better than most games this Gen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Alright boys who wins, 2 main characters from an early 2015 PS4 game, or 2 main characters from a PS5 only late 2023 game
FCkpF6D.jpg
RihceFU.png

Vs
ncWh6iT.jpg
ScAZBrN.jpg
Both girls looks butt ugly, so they have that in common.

Also, super soft look vs over sharpened look, the 2 games can't be more different.

Last edited:
Both girls looks butt ugly, so they have that in common.

Also, super soft look vs over sharpened look, the 2 games can't be more different.
Oh right. One has a film grain filter. Completely incomparable. Cmon insomniac doesn’t need you to coddle them. You know which of them looks much better.

It really does feel like we’re never going to get the UE5 reveal demo/matrix demo level fidelity this whole gen… we’re coming up on halfway through and garbage like Spider-Man 2 is our current AAA blockbuster release. The shining examples of graphics 3 years in is a cross gen game and a launch title. Like wtf

Imagine if in late 2016 the best graphics were KZSF and watch dogs or something like that

We’re just so far behind the pace. Yeah I know Alan wake/avatar/space marines look good but you know what I mean. Maybe COVID fucked us up or maybe AAA game development is just truly unsustainable because none of the first parties have anything to show. Even insiders were confused about the radio silence at the PS showcase. There’s nothing in the pipeline seemingly. A lot of people who work in the industry have been sounding the alarm on giant AAA development being a bubble that will burst. Maybe we’re seeing that.
Yeah. I’ve already lowered my expectations. But not a single game has blown me away graphically this generation. I’ve had moments of “that looks great” - but nothing the level of say seeing LOU 2 or Uncharted 4 or the Order for the first time

Yeah. I’ve already lowered my expectations. But not a single game has blown me away graphically this generation. I’ve had moments of “that looks great” - but nothing the level of say seeing LOU 2 or Uncharted 4 or the Order for the first time
Demon Souls had a few moments that blew me away. The CGI level clouds of burning shores really impressed me as well. As far the horizon goes, only space marines 2 has been like “holy shit that looks next Gen” to me. But I’m curious to see more of avatar and Alan wake when they release. They look really really good.

EDIT: forgot about fable. If that’s actually running real time on series X like they said then I’m very impressed

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The best part of the ue5 demo was the flying scene at the end. That’s when everyone lost their shit. You get that in Spider-Man 2.

And Alan wake 2 looks better than the first ue5 demo.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh right. One has a film grain filter. Completely incomparable. Cmon insomniac doesn’t need you to coddle them. You know which of them looks much better.
And where exactly i was cuddling insomniac? i was just pointing out how the 2 games are at the 2 opposite extreme iq wise :messenger_winking_tongue:

SlimySnake

The mountain demo? WHAT?

Different strong points, one was an high res assets paradise, aw2 is all about rtx.
Lighting and asset quality are way better than what that demo was doing.

Alan Wake 2 isnt even using rtx on consoles. If anything, their dev said that since the game uses mesh shaders, everything before 20 series nvidia gpus is not going to be able to play the game. not sure how true that is but just like nanite, their game seems to be using primitive/mesh shaders.

The best part of the ue5 demo was the flying scene at the end. That’s when everyone lost their shit. You get that in Spider-Man 2.

lol dude. Only in speed. The gulf in fidelity is generational. SM2 is laughable side by side visually speaking. Everyone went nuts because of the speed and graphics presentation. If I made a game with Uncharted 2 level graphics and flew through the world at super super super high speeds would that be impressive? No.

And I don’t know about that chief

Last edited:

SABRE220

I disagree the best part of the demo was the sheer fidelity on display, the insane quality of assets, density of geometry and amazing lighting blew everyone away I didnt really care about the flying and the second demo after that didnt even have that, it doubled down on the display of lumen and nanite and spiderman2 is nowhere near outside traversal.

SABRE220

Lighting and asset quality are way better than what that demo was doing.

Alan Wake 2 isnt even using rtx on consoles. If anything, their dev said that since the game uses mesh shaders, everything before 20 series nvidia gpus is not going to be able to play the game. not sure how true that is but just like nanite, their game seems to be using primitive/mesh shaders.
The lighting quality is good but hardly way better than lumen thats serious hyprbole, and what assets are you seeing in alan wake 2 that eclipse the demo?! They literally zoomed 20x into the assets and they were flawless and consistent throughout.

I dont even think alan wake 2 is that amazing, outside of possibly pathtracing nothing remotely jaw-dropping about it meanwhile the demo blew everyone away and still leaves me heartbroken weve gotten nothing close and please ignore the spiderman2 traveral thing again...im talking about visual fidelity.

I swear you've started subconsciously downplaying your earlier expectations and hyping games that you considered underwhelming earlier as a means of coping/rationalizing the disappointing reality of this gen.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

outside of possibly pathtracing nothing remotely jaw-dropping about it meanwhile the demo blew everyone away
Standards have changed. UE5 demo was 3.5 years ago and people arent going to be wow'd like they were back in the day. You'd need to eclipse the matrix demo and thats not happening until next next gen. Just look at the downplaying of Avatar in this thread every time i bring it up.

As for what its doing better. Lighting is way better. The asset quality is up there with nanite.

2P02ZDS.gif

lYsc8sS.gif

I disagree the best part of the demo was the sheer fidelity on display, the insane quality of assets, density of geometry and amazing lighting blew everyone away I didnt really care about the flying and the second demo after that didnt even have that, it doubled down on the display of lumen and nanite and spiderman2 is nowhere near outside traversal.
Dont you remember the shitstorm that part of the demo started? Everyone kept saying that the ps5 ssd enabled the final flying sequence and that it wouldnt be possible on the xbox consoles. it was by far the most talked about moment from the video.

If nothing else, thats what I personally wanted from the PS5 all these years. To be able to traverse fast and look good while doing so. I have no idea why people think spiderman 2 looks bad. With the new lighting, reflections and even the enhanced building assets, it looks fucking stunning when flying at high speeds. I feel like i am taking crazy pills because this is the closest any game has come to matching the magic of the UE5 demo fly sequence.

Lethal01

We should rename the topic
"Graphical fidelity we settled down for this gen" is a more appropriate title.

AHem

People forget PS5 is 10x more powerful than PS4. But more importantly, they forget these trailers are rendered on several 3090s linked together and still take hours per frame. PS5 just doesn't have close to enough power to get close to this look.
Hmmm. I don't exactly agree...
See above. Ten years ago, if I showed you this character model running on a Radeon HD 7850, you wouldnt believe it.
Nowadays, devs are able to match the fluidity, DoF, higher quality character models and lighting conditions that make CG look so flawless. And they do it in realtime cutscenes.

---------
Hopefully, in 4 years I get a game that lets me ecstatically admit I'm wrong, but I feel like it will be a repeat of TLOU2 where everyone says it looks like real life while I'm waiting for next gen.
---------

My expectations were always on point, As I said before, y'all had overinflated ideas of what the hardware was capable of and use that to trash on the devs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom