• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Guys, I got scammed into buying Star Citizen. Hopefully it looks good.

Going back to Starfield, another area where it shines is suit detail. This is a random NPC pirate and it's looking rather good:

Mj66Jcb.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is fake. Not next gen
One gif is from the PC version, the other from the PS5 version. At first i thought it would get downgraded like starfield, but after seeing the Alannah pearce video on the starfield direct, its obvious that that game was not downgraded. At least not from that trailer. Game was just uneven and Bethesda just showed the best looking parts. Same is probably true here and game will look ugly in some other places marketing is not showing off, but i expect the PC version to look this good in that particular area.

Yah Im getting tired and demoralized as well. Weve even got Slimy joining the other gaslighters. Shits straight sad.
Gaslighting is when people try to convince others that their personal experiences or perceptions are wrong. That's literally what you guys have been doing to me when I pointed out that the fast traversal in spiderman 2 is next gen or the enhanced traffic and NPC density is next gen. I never tried to convince you all that the visuals in spiderman 2 are next gen. Even if I did that, it wont constitute as gaslighting. now if I dismissed your opinion that spiderman 2 has last gen character models and building assets then tried to manipulate you into thinking that the buildings and character models are indeed next gen then sure, thats gaslighting. But i have not done that. Stating facts like it has next gen traversal speeds on par with the UE5 flying sequence, traffic density similar (NOT on par) to the matrix demo and setpieces way ahead of what they were able to do last gen is NOT gaslighting.

As for Alan Wake 2, see the gifs below. If stating an opinion that Alan Wake 2, arguably, the best looking game ever made looks better than the UE5 PS5 demo is gaslighting then we might as well shut down this thread because we all did this when discussing the samaritan demo and other UE4 demos.
This is a hard disagree. Even by you just months ago. I believe even you said the forest section didn't look better than TLOUS2.
Are you sure you are not hacked?
Would you agree that the lighting and level of detail is a generation ahead of TLOU2? forest might not be as dense but like ive said numerous times, anyone can pick one level from a last gen game and said it looks better than next gen only games doing far more next gen things. Overall though, Alan Wake 2 is a generation ahead of TLOU2 in lighting, level of detail, asset density etc

UE5 PS5 demo was literally just a bunch of narrow corridors and rocks until the end when they copy paste the same statue a million times. Compare it to the city level in Alan Wake 2. Way more detail.

I am not going to discuss the UE5 90 days demo because i didnt say Alan Wake 2 looks better than the Matrix or any other UE5 demos. They obviously look better than Alan Wake 2. But the first demo? Lighting is clearly better and it has insane level of detail in parts. And when compared to the three UE5 games released so far with nanite, Lords of the Fallen, Remanent 2, and Immortals, its literally a generation above in terms of detail and asset quality. So UE5 doesnt automatically turn everything into next gen. Devs still have to design their assets to look next gen which is what Alan Wake is doing.

40f923d310afe414e7b4b669cc2c487483e84ce3.gif

1leCNjj.gif

OUNX0xh.gif

What's happened to this thread is that only UE5 games are allowed to be next gen. Any other game could use fancy SSD tech and not be considered next gen. Any other game could use the CPU to enhance the traffic and pedestrian density and not be given the same credit we gave to the matrix demo. Games can use mesh shaders, increased level of detail, path tracing, and look a generation ahead of actual UE5 games using Lumen and nanite, and people praising them are labeled insane. The asset quality and modeling in starfield's interiors is leagues ahead of anything ive seen. its using realtime GI when literally three other games used it this gen on consoles and all of that is dismissed because it didnt look amazing in its open world. Like come on.

Why is everything so binary in this thread? Why cant we praise one aspect of a next gen game as next gen while admitting that it has flaws or things that arent next gen?

SlimySnake

BTW, those last two Alan Wake 2 gifs are from the PS5 Showcase which was confirmed to be running on PS5. But that game will look that good on consoles without path tracing.

I believe the first gif is from the PC footage that was leaked after gamescom and could be using path tracing.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
BTW, those last two Alan Wake 2 gifs are from the PS5 Showcase which was confirmed to be running on PS5. But that game will look that good on consoles without path tracing.

I believe the first gif is from the PC footage that was leaked after gamescom and could be using path tracing.

The fact that we have no idea if that alan wake 2 footage is using PT or not speaks for itself.
The game looks amazing no matter what. It's a dark game

samoilaaa

One gif is from the PC version, the other from the PS5 version. At first i thought it would get downgraded like starfield, but after seeing the Alannah pearce video on the starfield direct, its obvious that that game was not downgraded. At least not from that trailer. Game was just uneven and Bethesda just showed the best looking parts. Same is probably true here and game will look ugly in some other places marketing is not showing off, but i expect the PC version to look this good in that particular area.

Gaslighting is when people try to convince others that their personal experiences or perceptions are wrong. That's literally what you guys have been doing to me when I pointed out that the fast traversal in spiderman 2 is next gen or the enhanced traffic and NPC density is next gen. I never tried to convince you all that the visuals in spiderman 2 are next gen. Even if I did that, it wont constitute as gaslighting. now if I dismissed your opinion that spiderman 2 has last gen character models and building assets then tried to manipulate you into thinking that the buildings and character models are indeed next gen then sure, thats gaslighting. But i have not done that. Stating facts like it has next gen traversal speeds on par with the UE5 flying sequence, traffic density similar (NOT on par) to the matrix demo and setpieces way ahead of what they were able to do last gen is NOT gaslighting.

As for Alan Wake 2, see the gifs below. If stating an opinion that Alan Wake 2, arguably, the best looking game ever made looks better than the UE5 PS5 demo is gaslighting then we might as well shut down this thread because we all did this when discussing the samaritan demo and other UE4 demos.

Would you agree that the lighting and level of detail is a generation ahead of TLOU2? forest might not be as dense but like ive said numerous times, anyone can pick one level from a last gen game and said it looks better than next gen only games doing far more next gen things. Overall though, Alan Wake 2 is a generation ahead of TLOU2 in lighting, level of detail, asset density etc

UE5 PS5 demo was literally just a bunch of narrow corridors and rocks until the end when they copy paste the same statue a million times. Compare it to the city level in Alan Wake 2. Way more detail.

I am not going to discuss the UE5 90 days demo because i didnt say Alan Wake 2 looks better than the Matrix or any other UE5 demos. They obviously look better than Alan Wake 2. But the first demo? Lighting is clearly better and it has insane level of detail in parts. And when compared to the three UE5 games released so far with nanite, Lords of the Fallen, Remanent 2, and Immortals, its literally a generation above in terms of detail and asset quality. So UE5 doesnt automatically turn everything into next gen. Devs still have to design their assets to look next gen which is what Alan Wake is doing.

40f923d310afe414e7b4b669cc2c487483e84ce3.gif

1leCNjj.gif

OUNX0xh.gif

What's happened to this thread is that only UE5 games are allowed to be next gen. Any other game could use fancy SSD tech and not be considered next gen. Any other game could use the CPU to enhance the traffic and pedestrian density and not be given the same credit we gave to the matrix demo. Games can use mesh shaders, increased level of detail, path tracing, and look a generation ahead of actual UE5 games using Lumen and nanite, and people praising them are labeled insane. The asset quality and modeling in starfield's interiors is leagues ahead of anything ive seen. its using realtime GI when literally three other games used it this gen on consoles and all of that is dismissed because it didnt look amazing in its open world. Like come on.

Why is everything so binary in this thread? Why cant we praise one aspect of a next gen game as next gen while admitting that it has flaws or things that arent next gen?
Alan wake 2 will be the graphics king probably until Witcher 4 , the last of us 3 , gta 6 , gears 6

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm looking at Epic Store. Why Alan Wake 2 is only 49.99 golden coins? Short game?
yeah that's not very convincing... maybe it's short or low budget.
I don't need for it to be any longer than first game anyway. Remedy is rather efficient with their budget

SlimySnake

yeah that's not very convincing... maybe it's short or low budget.
I don't need for it to be any longer than first game anyway. Remedy is rather efficient with their budget
its $50 because its not getting a physical release. that helps them save costs on distribution. It's $60 on PSN.

Epic is publishing the game and as part of the exclusivity, they are likely not taking the 30% cut steam would take so remedy is selling it for cheaper than the PS5 and Xbox where MS and Sony are still taking the 30% cut.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
its $50 because its not getting a physical release. that helps them save costs on distribution. It's $60 on PSN.

Epic is publishing the game and as part of the exclusivity, they are likely not taking the 30% cut steam would take so remedy is selling it for cheaper than the PS5 and Xbox where MS and Sony are still taking the 30% cut.
maybe so... there could be some truth to that.
But epic is tencent and they funded part of the budget probably. So I doubt they would just say "sure let' lower the price"

alloush

Here is Path Tracing vs PS5 comparison of the same town scene. Looks like path tracing has way better light bounce but overall you probably wont notice the difference unless you put them side by side like this.

Path Tracing:
lYsc8sS.gif

PS5:
Afd2FUK.gif
Question: would a pro version be capable of that path tracing seen in the top screenshot?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Here is Path Tracing vs PS5 comparison of the same town scene. Looks like path tracing has way better light bounce but overall you probably wont notice the difference unless you put them side by side like this.

Path Tracing:
lYsc8sS.gif

PS5:
Afd2FUK.gif

Path tracing is not about comparing back and forward with other lighting solutions. When you’re playing Cyberpunk in Overdrive your brain just knows that it looks right. It’s hard to explain, it’s something that you need to experience yourself. In some scenes the difference will be almost none, in some it will be massive but it will always look just right.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Path Tracing:
lYsc8sS.gif

PS5:
Afd2FUK.gif
Looks like saturation/bloom changed

SlimySnake

Question: would a pro version be capable of that path tracing seen in the top screenshot?
Nope. Pro will probably be somewhere between a 6800 and 6800xt and thats not enough to do anything with ray tracing unless its using RDNA 4 rt cores. even then, not enough tflops.

This is cyberpunk at 1080p. no upscaling. amd gpus just cant handle it. Alan Wake 2 has higher requirements because its a next gen game unlike cyberpunk which is still fairly cross gen. They require a 4070 as a minimum and dont even bother listing AMD GPUs for path tracing options. Again, things might change if AMD improves their RT performance with RDNA 4 and PS5 Pro uses RDNA4 rt cores. 4070 would be around 20% faster than the pro based on current leaks so maybe with some settings downgraded, it might run the game at 1080p with 720p internal resolution at 30 fps.

performance-pt-1920-1080.png

alan-wake-2-pc-requirements-1697834739853.png

I am personally going to be playing this with rt off. half of the game is set in the wilderness and the city is too dark for reflections or rtgi to make a huge difference. will probably target 4k dlss quality at 40 fps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks like it’s time to call an optician.
the volumetric fog in the distance is getting illuminated by the sunlight in the pt shot. its not just the buildings that are getting a glow up from more accurate lighting.
I don't think so.
And i that's the truth, then remedy are fools for not baking stuff like that in the game. There is no dynamic time of day afaik.

besides, the difference could be caused by many other things. It can be hdr to sdr recording vs pure sdr. Or other settings.
It's too vague to draw any conclusion about illuminated Vulcanic swamp gas....

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I don't think so.
And i that's the truth, then remedy are fools for not baking stuff like that in the game. There is no dynamic time of day afaik.

besides, the difference could be caused by many other things. It can be hdr to sdr recording vs pure sdr. Or other settings.
It's too vague to draw any conclusion about illuminated Vulcanic swamp gas....
The volumetric fog is probably maxed out on PC vs medium on PS5, but the shadows are the same so the buildings should have the same brightness.

I will be playing this game in standard rasterization and run some comparisons. I am pretty sure that the buildings are getting another GI light bounce in the PT version. i.e, light bounce off of the street and not just direct sunlight.

alloush

Nope. Pro will probably be somewhere between a 6800 and 6800xt and thats not enough to do anything with ray tracing unless its using RDNA 4 rt cores. even then, not enough tflops.

This is cyberpunk at 1080p. no upscaling. amd gpus just cant handle it. Alan Wake 2 has higher requirements because its a next gen game unlike cyberpunk which is still fairly cross gen. They require a 4070 as a minimum and dont even bother listing AMD GPUs for path tracing options. Again, things might change if AMD improves their RT performance with RDNA 4 and PS5 Pro uses RDNA4 rt cores. 4070 would be around 20% faster than the pro based on current leaks so maybe with some settings downgraded, it might run the game at 1080p with 720p internal resolution at 30 fps.

performance-pt-1920-1080.png

alan-wake-2-pc-requirements-1697834739853.png

I am personally going to be playing this with rt off. half of the game is set in the wilderness and the city is too dark for reflections or rtgi to make a huge difference. will probably target 4k dlss quality at 40 fps.
You know I aint no tech head but I read in the ps5 pro leaks thread that the ps5 pro might be equivalent to a 7700? With a better cpu might even jump above that. Now what that exactly means not sure and I am not sure if this will be the case or not with a price tag of at least $600 for the pro.

But assuming those numbers are true then PT should be feasible on the pro.

I am loving the fact the devs came out and said “upgrade your rig or get screwed” and didn’t bother lowering the minimum requirements; thats wassup. May the rest follow suit. I also read somewhere that they said you need a NASA rig to run the game at 60fps at 1080p.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The volumetric fog is probably maxed out on PC vs medium on PS5, but the shadows are the same so the buildings should have the same brightness.

I will be playing this game in standard rasterization and run some comparisons. I am pretty sure that the buildings are getting another GI light bounce in the PT version. i.e, light bounce off of the street and not just direct sunlight.
Also, I wonder if quality mode on ps5 version will have any RT at all

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You know I aint no tech head but I read in the ps5 pro leaks thread that the ps5 pro might be equivalent to a 7700? With a better cpu might even jump above that. Now what that exactly means not sure and I am not sure if this will be the case or not with a price tag of at least $600 for the pro.

I am loving the fact the devs came out and said “upgrade your rig or get screwed” and didn’t bother lowering the minimum requirements; thats wassup. May the rest follow suit. I also read somewhere that they said you need a NASA rig to run the game at 60fps at 1080p.

Check at what frame rate Cyberpunk with path tracing is running on AMD card and you should get an idea. I honestly don’t know.

SlimySnake

7700xt runs cyberpunk at 7 fps though lol

Alan Wake is crippling even Nvidia cards. Those 1080p requirements in the specs are with DLSS set to quality. So 720p internal resolution. And thats for nvidia GPUs with DLSS. 720p with FSR looks atrocious. I doubt they would bother at 720p even if AMD got close to nvidia rt performance. But thats a big if. Right now the 7700xt is equivalent to a 3070 in standard rasterization but is only doing 7 fps at path tracing compared to 20 fps the 3070 is doing. Its literally 3x slower than the nvidia GPU. Highly doubt AMD closes that gap in one generation.

Maybe if Cerny wants to market his Pro using PT, they might take shortcuts to get there. Like 1 path traced ray instead of 2 like that cyberpunk mod.

Last edited:

Neilg

no chance. PT is far, far heavier of a lift than the raytracing methods used on consoles. It's only really feasible on a $750+ graphics card, and only on nvidia cards. it's not making it in to a pro model - plus, not having dedicated AI cores means you're doing it without a DLSS equivalent to make it playable. This isnt something that can be solved with a % boost to clock speed.

Next gen i'd bet a decent amount we're getting dedicated AI upscaling/frame generation cores in home consoles, from that point on every game can stick to a 30fps 1080p target and upscale to 4k60, then we'll start seeing a big jump. Probably still not path tracing on consoles, but FF16 and it's shadows just proved there's still a lot more than can be done with clever math before defaulting to the brute force approach. Next gen there will be some new research papers that find more efficient ways to get good results.

alloush

7700xt runs cyberpunk at 7 fps though lol

Alan Wake is crippling even Nvidia cards. Those 1080p requirements in the specs are with DLSS set to quality. So 720p internal resolution. And thats for nvidia GPUs with DLSS. 720p with FSR looks atrocious. I doubt they would bother at 720p even if AMD got close to nvidia rt performance. But thats a big if. Right now the 7700xt is equivalent to a 3070 in standard rasterization but is only doing 7 fps at path tracing compared to 20 fps the 3070 is doing. Its literally 3x slower than the nvidia GPU. Highly doubt AMD closes that gap in one generation.

Maybe if Cerny wants to market his Pro using PT, they might take shortcuts to get there. Like 1 path traced ray instead of 2 like that cyberpunk mod.
no chance. PT is far, far heavier of a lift than the raytracing methods used on consoles. It's only really feasible on a $750+ graphics card, and only on nvidia cards. it's not making it in to a pro model - plus, not having dedicated AI cores means you're doing it without a DLSS equivalent to make it playable. This isnt something that can be solved with a % boost to clock speed.

Next gen i'd bet a decent amount we're getting dedicated AI upscaling/frame generation cores in home consoles, from that point on every game can stick to a 30fps 1080p target and upscale to 4k60, then we'll start seeing a big jump. Probably still not path tracing on consoles, but FF16 and it's shadows just proved there's still a lot more than can be done with clever math before defaulting to the brute force approach. Next gen there will be some new research papers that find more efficient ways to get good results.
I appreciate your input, guys!

I wonder why Alan Wake is so heavy, I mean it looks real nice but it aint no Matrix Demo to be this much of a resource hog. Same with CP. I reckon it's PT itself. If you ask me if I would rather PT and the game looks like Alan Wake/CP or no PT but it looks like The Matrix demo I think we all know what the answer to this question is will be.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I appreciate your input, guys!

I wonder why Alan Wake is so heavy, I mean it looks real nice but it aint no Matrix Demo to be this much of a resource hog. Same with CP. I reckon it's PT itself. If you ask me if I would rather PT and the game looks like Alan Wake/CP or no PT but it looks like The Matrix demo I think we all know what the answer to this question is will be.
Nextgen graphic need nextgen hardware, you silly smurf.

Neilg

Of course it's PT.
The thing with full PT is that as a full brute force solution it's comparatively easy to implement (it's not, but compared to what else you'd have to do to try to hit that level of quality... it is). I don't believe it's the future of games, it's just a nice thing to have for people who spaffed $1500 on a card and want something to make it sweat.

nemiroff

Gold Member
you probably wont notice the difference

..if you're blind as a bat.

Of course it's PT.
The thing with full PT is that as a full brute force solution it's comparatively easy to implement (it's not, but compared to what else you'd have to do to try to hit that level of quality... it is). I don't believe it's the future of games, it's just a nice thing to have for people who spaffed $1500 on a card and want something to make it sweat.

It's going to be the only way light optimization is set up in the relatively near future. But it will be implemented with cheaper software RT solutions as a fallback so that the scene is relatively similar in any hardware configuration. This is f.ex. exactly what CIG showed in their presentation. That way the artists don't have to muck about with a billion light probes (which might overwrite the benefits of raytracing) and they can deal more directly with the art of the scene instead.

Last edited:

Neilg

. But it will be implemented with cheaper software RT solutions as a fallback so that the scene is relatively similar in any hardware configuration.

Yeah, that's what I meant by it not being the future - I think clever math and new techniques will eventually get us near indistinguishable results from full path tracing that still have the low artist overhead. Full PT in the engine will be very useful to train ai on...
Right now it's the only way to do certain things, but I trust a hybrid approach will appear.

SlimySnake

Path tracing is not about comparing back and forward with other lighting solutions. When you’re playing Cyberpunk in Overdrive your brain just knows that it looks right. It’s hard to explain, it’s something that you need to experience yourself. In some scenes the difference will be almost none, in some it will be massive but it will always look just right.
But I have played path tracing in cyberpunk. It looks more natural to the eyes, yes but the hit to resolutions is far too high for most of us not running 4080s or 4090s. For me its either 4k dlss quality to get the game running with standard rasterization and rt reflections or downgrade all the way down to 1440p dlss balanced to get similar performance.

And if the image simply looks more blurry and noisy, my brain doesnt care what looks more natural, it just looks at what looks better and the sharper and cleaner image simply looks better. And im the guy who cant tell the difference between dlss quality and dlss performance most of the time. But 1440p dlss and 4k dlss is instantly more noticeable than PT on or off.

..if you're blind as a bat.
i said unless you put them side by side. we were just discussing how Alan Wake 2 only looks good because of PT and all this time most of the gifs were from the PS5 version.

Of course it's PT.
Alan Wake 2 is taxing even with RT off. Its a true next gen game that is targeting 1440p 30 fps on a 10 tflops GPU like the 6600xt. And thats with fsr set to balanced so 960p. In reference, Cybeprunk runs at 4k fsr quality in its rt mode on consoles. So 1440p internal resolution.

Just looking at the clips released, the city level has an insane amount of detail simply not present in open world or even linear last gen games. The lighting quality is also leagues ahead of what we got in TLOU2. Asset quality is also very high compared to last gen games. Character models look like a massive leap over their previous games like Control. Everything adds up.

That said, mesh shaders/primitive shaders were supposed to improve GPU performance. Maybe they will get better with this new tech and improve performance later down the road.

It will be interesting to see how the PS5 performs in this game compared to the xsx and RDNA2 PC GPUs. There was a lot of controversy about the PS5 not supporting mesh shaders with some saying primitive shaders = mesh shaders. So this might be the first true test of whether or not the so-called RDNA 2 full feature set with mesh shaders helps XSX perform better than its tflops count suggests.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
But I have played path tracing in cyberpunk. It looks more natural to the eyes, yes but the hit to resolutions is far too high for most of us not running 4080s or 4090s. For me its either 4k dlss quality to get the game running with standard rasterization and rt reflections or downgrade all the way down to 1440p dlss balanced to get similar performance.

And if the image simply looks more blurry and noisy, my brain doesnt care what looks more natural, it just looks at what looks better and the sharper and cleaner image simply looks better. And im the guy who cant tell the difference between dlss quality and dlss performance most of the time. But 1440p dlss and 4k dlss is instantly more noticeable than PT on or off.

Ah, yes, that's true. If you're playing it on anything lower than 4k with DLSS set to quality, the image becomes a pixelated soup. I think there's not enough data for AI to work its magic. There's a massive difference by just going from 4k quality to 4k balanced, I can't even image dropping it down to 1440p balanced.

setoman

I disagree. I can give you that it might look slightly better than the released TLOUS 2.
But it doesn't look better than the initial TLOUS 2 Cinematic Reveal and the Gameplay Reveal.
Again you need to rewatch this to understand what I mean. Its not that their lighting tech isn't good, its all about level design and art direction.
And also the density isn't better than TLOUS 2. Meaning it doesn't break the last gen barrier in that particular respect.

Also this is a released video/area by Remedy, not a area people selected to make the game look bad.
So if AW2 handpicked forest area by Remedy doesn't look better than TLOUS2 initial reveal forest.
Then how in the world is it a whole generation ahead? I think they are about equal with TLOUS2 in (asset density and geometric density of each object) with TLOUS2 having better art direction and level design. And because the environment art and lighting art is bad, it doesn't at all showcase the superior lighting that AW2 would have over even the initial reveal trailers of TLOUS2. I will talk more about this in another post.

Unless you believe these initial reveal trailers are a gen ahead of what was released?

Well that's the entire point. Nanite and mesh shader allows you to instance the same mesh thousands of times in different size, shape, orientation and material.

And no that doesn't mean that AW2 has way more detail. The city level (Im assuming the night scene) is deceiving as they are just duplicate the same paper trash. It doesn't have way more detail if that's what you are referring to. It has way LESS detail.

The ability to replicate the little concrete rocks that you would see on the road requires nanite/mesh shader level tech.

I am not going to discuss the UE5 90 days demo because i didnt say Alan Wake 2 looks better than the Matrix or any other UE5 demos. They obviously look better than Alan Wake 2. But the first demo? Lighting is clearly better and it has insane level of detail in parts.
You do realize that Lumen in the land of nanite (PS5 demo) has more small details than all the other UE5 demos other than the Electric Dream forest demo? This includes even the Matrix Awaken demo. Matrix Awaken has big details (buildings) and some medium size details (rooftop objects) but the streets are mainly empty of small details.

Explain to me: HOW in the world does AW2 have more details this? Just look at the level of ground detail...

quentin-marmier-pov-high-corridor4-0010-1.jpg

quentin-marmier-pov-high-cave-5-0001-1.jpg

quentin-marmier-pov-high-corridor1-0001-1.jpg

jerome-platteaux-sreenshot-02-a.jpg

quentin-marmier-pov-high-corridor2-0001-1.jpg

CGNoire

Of course you are correct. I was exaggerating.
I do think that next gen assets are a requirement atleast for me for something to actually feel fully next outside of maybe pathtracing that is. AW2 assets look just like Controls assets with extra lighting improvements they have made. With SM2 the assets are way way too outdated that even with the RTR ,the higher quality lighting and the better Tree rendering it still looks like it could be done on PS4 with very little concessions. I can atleast imagine that when swinging at full speed with heavy high quality motion blur the color accuracy of the assets at certain times of day can probably produce a filmic level visuals through the blur because even SM1 did that.

SlimySnake

Ok this is next gen as fuck. holy fucking shit.

Might even look better than Avatar. So many incredible scenes. What a gorgeous world. This is by a C-tier developer too. Amazing to see them join the big boys if not top them all. Animation work is still lacking but the world design is stunning.

GooseMan69

Ok, is this next gen?

Snake Eater is my favorite game of all time so this is a dream come true to me. i wish the graphics looked better but this still looks good.

UE5 too.

I’m actually really impressed by it. I remember when those stupid pachinko machine cutscenes surfaced. Who knew Konami would actually come through and remake the game. Seemed like a pipe dream at the time.

I fucking love MGS and I hope the first 4 games get the remake treatment.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Of course you are correct. I was exaggerating.
I do think that next gen assets are a requirement atleast for me for something to actually feel fully next outside of maybe pathtracing that is. AW2 assets look just like Controls assets with extra lighting improvements they have made. With SM2 the assets are way way too outdated that even with the RTR ,the higher quality lighting and the better Tree rendering it still looks like it could be done on PS4 with very little concessions. I can atleast imagine that when swinging at full speed with heavy high quality motion blur the color accuracy of the assets at certain times of day can probably produce a filmic level visuals through the blur because even SM1 did that.
Like i said before, their decision to stick with ps4 quality buildings, cars and character models is overshadowing all the other good work they did with the traffic, lighting, ray tracing, npc behavior etc. Hope they learn from the internet backlash. Twitter is full of this and i know jstevenson lives on twitter so they will see it even if DF wont mention it.

Alan Wake 2 assets look way better than control to me. That typewriter for instance looks way better than the phone, but I will play the game in two days and report back. I have control installed still and will capture some screenshots to be sure.

GooseMan69

MGS 3 remake reminds me of TLOU Remake in the sense that the visual fidelity is amazing, but it’s 1 to 1 level design so there’s a ceiling on how good it can look. The levels are TINY in these games. But I agree with it from a creative standpoint of staying true to the originals. Naughty Dog in particular took a huge leap on PS4 when it came to not only increasing the size of the levels, but making them look like natural environments.

Last edited:

setoman

Ok this is next gen as fuck. holy fucking shit.

Might even look better than Avatar. So many incredible scenes. What a gorgeous world. This is by a C-tier developer too. Amazing to see them join the big boys if not top them all. Animation work is still lacking but the world design is stunning.

Yeah now THIS is NEXT GEN!
Although the animation and character modeling is PS3 era.
The environment is completely next gen.
This is what we mean. There's no confusion. There's no maybe if I squint it will... or if I look at it from this angle...
No.

Its next gen point blank. This is the difference people were trying to tell you about SM2 and AW2.

Top Bottom