• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
imo this part looks better than alan wake 2 mesh shaders

GAjz45NWgAAZYDw
Everything looks better in this than overrated (yes, graphically overrated too) alan wake 2

ThisIsMyDog

Look at this fucking retard. Saying the game looks dated, that people will tear it apart because they took 10 years to make this game and the technology eclipsed them.

hes the UE5 engine guy who makes all those UE5 videos. Fuck right off dude. Everyone loves this trailer. 85 million views in 18 hours. Go touch some grass.

Im not going to watch it, but looking at his comments there he seems like a not very intelligent person.

CGNoire

Lack of RT reflections was apparent but I don't care (and I love RT reflections). This is a great example of a developer making the right decisions when prioritizing certain visual features over others. Perhaps RT reflections are in play for PS5 Pro.
Pc version will get both.

Everything looks better in this than overrated (yes, graphically overrated too) alan wake 2

I fail to see how Alan Wake 2 is over saturated.. it's not as far as I can tell. Colors more or less look the way they should. Doesn't have gamma issues. The shimmering from the reconstruction is bad though. Unacceptably so imo.

CGNoire

As soon as gta6 comes out on pc.
Average pc chad:
-disables motion blur
-disables film grain
-disables chromatic abberration
-disables "piss filter" (there always is one even if there isn't)
-Disables post processing
-Disables TAA because "it's blurry"

"Meh... looks like shit. Overrated graphics" - adds oversharpened reshade preset on it - perfection.

Seriously.... every game. This trailer looks so good because it is full of post processing effects. That's why it looks so realistic
Im really starting to like you.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I fail to see how Alan Wake 2 is over saturated.. it's not as far as I can tell. Colors more or less look the way they should. Doesn't have gamma issues. The shimmering from the reconstruction is bad though. Unacceptably so imo.
It looks and runs like shit on ps5. They barely tried.
On high end pc? yeah sure... but still not what I expected from this gen (still obviously one of better looking games)

Last edited:

CGNoire

So then all the downgrades compared to the "ultra setting" as the devs would wish everyone to play their games at and spent ressources to make is straying away from the artist's intent?

Which fucking AA solution is the artist's intent?

ICO remaster should have stayed at 240p ?

Movies released in pre-90's should keep the VHS tape look?

unimpressed michael keaton GIF
Ok i think your the one whos off his meds.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Ok i think your the one whos off his meds.

Every criticism from now on in this very thread I'll come in with "it's the artist intent". Sounds ridiculous? That's how ridiculous that claim is.

But of course, Rofif had to shit on PC and options, he just can't help it, probably due to an overdose of looking at pcgamingwiki to know which to toggle off and on.

Consoles are so neat comparatively, they are per an artist's intent.

OH

Di4xR3m.jpg

What is Spider-Man 2's TRUE artist's vision? Which slider % ? Which should be on / off ? Should we tweet the studio? I want the pure experience.

I feEl wE ARe sTraYing from The InTeNT!

To be clear, I'm all for options. But it's a laughable concept that there's intention like some Stanley Kubrick film when most devs fucking stumble around a couple of patches and sometimes even upgrade visuals later on or a gen later. Only way I'll gobble artist intent are pixel games or early 3D console games with no settings and things such as CRT color correction. Rest is a load of BS, especially modern consoles who basically keep adding settings.

This is the last place I would expect a defense for CA. Holy shit
Do you guys love Vignette also? Piss filters from the 360 era?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Every criticism from now on in this very thread I'll come in with "it's the artist intent". Sounds ridiculous? That's how ridiculous that claim is.

But of course, Rofif had to shit on PC and options, he just can't help it, probably due to an overdose of looking at pcgamingwiki to know which to toggle off and on.

OH

Di4xR3m.jpg

What is Spider-Man 2's TRUE artist's vision? Which slider % ? Which should be on / off ? Should we tweet the studio? I want the pure experience.

To be clear, I'm all for options. But it's a laughable concept that there's intention like some Stanley Kubrick film when most devs fucking stumble around a couple of patches and sometimes even upgrade visuals later on or a gen later. Only way I'll gobble artist intent are pixel games or early 3D console games with no settings and things such as CRT color correction. Rest is a load of BS, especially modern consoles who basically keep adding settings.

You don’t have to like me lol. What I’ve said about people mindlessly disabling all these stuff even without playing the game first is my cheeky assumption based on observation and I consider it likely.
But also it’s a fact that all these effects improve perceived image realism. It is of course done by masking where graphics are lacking.
Some of these like good film grain help greatly as dithering and reduce posterisation and banding. Others like good motion blur just improve the motion smoothness. I consider it needed below 240fps at which point our brains have enough frames to fill the gaps.

Ps1 game on shit old crt tv looks way better than emulated on 4k tv at 4k with textures warping disabled. Same principle

CGNoire

You know what's crazy I remember San Andreas being the first videogame back then getting the color palette right (Eventually Half Life 2 came out and carried the torch for the color palette in videogames). In GTA 4 they dropped the torch, but GTA 5 rekindled it.
Its one of the most important things when striving for realism. Even with the slight Rockstar Art style it still looks realistic cause of it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Rockstar really stepped up their character models. It wasn’t their strong suit before. It was the one category where other devs had them beat imo. VI has the best models I’ve ever seen though.
Yep. I was legit blown away by how good his character model looked. She looks good but in the cross gen territory, but he looks like V from the CG cyberpunk trailer.

The rest of the NPCs and side characters look phenomenal too. They are a generational leap over RDR2's character models. They have massive improved things in every single aspect of their engine from character models to lighting to npc simulations, water, cutscene rendering, asset quality, foliage, traffic... they are showing everyone that simply updating one aspect of your engine for a next gen only release then calling it a day is not good enough. And no this is not a dig at insomniac, but a lot of other studios who all kind of phoned it in the first half of this gen. This is what a true sequel should be.

h3fYi6.gif
QdhOFLa.gif

9C2bjLe.gif
4501d3173689a2ee16755ac785ac7438

1a6ff817a8a54fa83a69650bdcd714ac

Anyone still hyped for Avatar or has it been downgraded too much (at least on console)??

That was THE next gen game for '23 for some of us and it's 2 days away yet nobody's talking about it.

SlimySnake

Anyone still hyped for Avatar or has it been downgraded too much (at least on console)??

That was THE next gen game for '23 for some of us and it's 2 days away yet nobody's talking about it.
Ubisoft games dont typically launch with big fanfare. they sell to their fanbase and do rather well.

avatar is also not a big IP among nerds, but its huge with casuals. it just might sell well, but i do get the feeling that ubisoft has kind of dropped the ball here.

doesnt help that they have shown NOTHING to allay fears that this isnt far cry on pandora. they talked about all these next gen features back at the reveal, and none of them seem to have made an impression on anyone.

GooseMan69

Yep. I was legit blown away by how good his character model looked. She looks good but in the cross gen territory, but he looks like V from the CG cyberpunk trailer.

Idk, I actually think Lucia is the more impressive model (in more ways than one lol)

8Lmhxpz.gif

There’s a lot of debate on whether that’s Lucia or not. I personally believe it is. Regardless, that hair tech blows my fucking mind. I think I’m gonna rock some longish shaggy hair on Jason (I’m sure there will be different haircut options). That will complete his Florida Man look lol. Maybe even a mullet.

CGNoire

OH

Di4xR3m.jpg

To be clear, I'm all for options. But it's a laughable concept that there's intention like some Stanley Kubrick film when most devs fucking stumble around a couple of patches and sometimes even upgrade visuals later on or a gen later. Only way I'll

OH

Di4xR3m.jpg

Theres nothing wrong with options and i didnt think he meant there was just that its not the intended look from the art director. Although after reading his follow up comment im not sure he didnt mean that now?

Not giving people options to remove effects pisses me off. Looking at you Ubisoft and your enforced outlines when engaging in social stealth.

I personally like the way CA contributes in reducing Aliasing helping to create a more prerendered look, but Im also somewhat of an Analogfile.

Theres nothing wrong with options and i didnt think he meant there was just that its not the intended look from the art director. Although after reading his follow up comment im not sure he didnt mean that now?

Not giving people options to remove effects pisses me off. Looking at you Ubisoft and your enforced outlines when engaging in social stealth.

I personally like the way CA contributes in reducing Aliasing helping to create a more prerendered look, but Im also somewhat of an Analogfile.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Man, you guys accuse me of cherrypicking but robocop looks mid as fuck. You all made it out to be the greatest looking game ever made. DF too. game looks way better in gifs. Ive been to all the areas DF showed off aside from the rainy one and im thoroughly unimpressed. mid lighting, mid assets, empty environments, boring cinematography. should not have played this after callisto.

What makes it worse is the constant stuttering despite shader compilation at the start of the game. It completely kills the feel of the game. Almost as bad as star wars in koboh. Then there is some awful shimmering on certain reflections. Just horrendous stuff. Callisto had some of it, but not this bad.

The production values are pretty bad too. this game feels like a B game through and through. Last time i buy a game based off of recommendations from this thread. I cant believe i used this game to shit on spiderman 2. I am so sorry chiefdada. I have learned my lesson. I wrote off callisto last year based on videos, and then fell for robocop hype thanks to cherrypicked screenshots in this thread and scenes in DF videos. Never again.

Playing maxed out btw 4k dlss balanced. changed to quality to see if it would improve the rt artifacts and nope.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Lol. I love you HighPoly but no. This is just software based AI algorithms producing these results.

Tech is moving fast. We will have dedicated AI blocks in the next gen consoles and much smarter algorithms so this sort of stuff can run effectively at runtime.

Lethal01

Now this is the type of AI application i could potentially get behind.

VFX Veteran, Lethal, etc. should scrub their post history claiming we won't reach photorealism for another 2+ generations.

Here friend let me remind you what photorealism is
B5DVDK2EKREBNIU6QOKJAG3IZU.png

I feel like it will be a repeat of TLOU2 where everyone says it looks like real life while I'm waiting for next gen.

sinnergy

Lol. I love you HighPoly but no. This is just software based AI algorithms producing these results.

Tech is moving fast. We will have dedicated AI blocks in the next gen consoles and much smarter algorithms so this sort of stuff can run effectively at runtime.
But it needs to do it real-time , so there is a hardware cost for the performance loss. To not have a performance loss. So earliest imo, he is right PS7 ish.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
But it needs to do it real-time , so there is a hardware cost for the performance loss. To not have a performance loss. So earliest imo, he is right PS7 ish.

Of course,hence the part where I mentioned dedicated AI blocks and smarter algorithms. If you think consoles won't have heavy ai based rasterization in 2028 i don't know what to tell you.

Lethal01

Of course,hence the part where I mentioned dedicated AI blocks and smarter algorithms. If you think consoles won't have heavy ai based rasterization in 2028 i don't know what to tell you.

Heres a gift, dont say I never did nothing for ya

btw, u clained it was photoreal, then post pics showing how far from real it is compared to what the AI can do.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Man, you guys accuse me of cherrypicking but robocop looks mid as fuck. You all made it out to be the greatest looking game ever made. DF too. game looks way better in gifs. Ive been to all the areas DF showed off aside from the rainy one and im thoroughly unimpressed. mid lighting, mid assets, empty environments, boring cinematography. should not have played this after callisto.

What makes it worse is the constant stuttering despite shader compilation at the start of the game. It completely kills the feel of the game. Almost as bad as star wars in koboh. Then there is some awful shimmering on certain reflections. Just horrendous stuff. Callisto had some of it, but not this bad.

The production values are pretty bad too. this game feels like a B game through and through. Last time i buy a game based off of recommendations from this thread. I cant believe i used this game to shit on spiderman 2. I am so sorry chiefdada. I have learned my lesson. I wrote off callisto last year based on videos, and then fell for robocop hype thanks to cherrypicked screenshots in this thread and scenes in DF videos. Never again.

Playing maxed out btw 4k dlss balanced. changed to quality to see if it would improve the rt artifacts and nope.
It is always like that, i played callisto and it looks nothing like your pics, same for cyberpunk and midgen pics, robocop never looked that good maxed out in 4k on my pc (still good tho)

It's silly to say this after hundreds of pages, but the only way to judge graphic is to play the damn game on your tv.

The stuttering must be something on your end, it had almost none of that when i played the game and it got multiple patches after that, texture loading after a while was the only problem i had.

The game is a fun AA but it doesn't have many setpieces so i knew you weren't going to like it, for the future stick to AAA dude, you are not gonna find that shit on AA games.

Senua

Gold Member
It is always like that, i played callisto and it looks nothing like your pics, same for cyberpunk and midgen pics, robocop never looked that good maxed out in 4k on my pc (still good tho)

It's silly to say this after hundreds of pages, but the only way to judge graphic is to play the damn game on your tv.

The stuttering must be something on your end, it had almost none of that when i played the game and it got multiple patches after that, texture loading after a while was the only problem i had.

The game is a fun AA but it doesn't have many setpieces so i knew you weren't going to like it, for the future stick to AAA dude, you are not gonna find that shit on AA games.
This, but it also goes both ways.

Yet to play Robocop but Alan Wake 2 for example looks way better on my TV than in pictures I've seen on the internet. Maybe it's because I disabled the shitty lens distortion. With HDR 4k balanced DLSS the game is just stunning on an OLED, and that's with no path tracing stuff, pure raster ting monnn

iagxmk5x2sj81.gif

This could be a fantastic week for future titles raising the graphics bar for this generation. GTA VI has already shown what these consoles are capable of and hopefully the Game Awards shows us other graphical showcases for these consoles.

There has been some people on here quite disappointed up to now with this generations graphics. In all fairness we aren't even halfway through this generation and I believe 2024 onwards we will see significant improvement over what's been released so far 🤞

GymWolf

Gold Member
This could be a fantastic week for future titles raising the graphics bar for this generation. GTA VI has already shown what these consoles are capable of and hopefully the Game Awards shows us other graphical showcases for these consoles.

There has been some people on here quite disappointed up to now with this generations graphics. In all fairness we aren't even halfway through this generation and I believe 2024 onwards we will see significant improvement over what's been released so far 🤞
And sony is nowhere to be seen...

What the fuck are they doing?

alloush

Just re-watched the GTA5 trailer and it is crazy how at the time I thought this looked photorealistic and indistinguishable from real life and I swore graphics couldn't get any better anymore, that they've reached the pinnacle and that was it. Fun times! This statement sounded even crazier when I watched the GTA6 vs GTA5 comparison video, lol.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Just re-watched the GTA5 trailer and it is crazy how at the time I thought this looked photorealistic and indistinguishable from real life and I swore graphics couldn't get any better anymore, that they've reached the pinnacle and that was it. Fun times! This statement sounded even crazier when I watched the GTA6 vs GTA5 comparison video, lol.

Question. How old were you when GTA5 trailer released?

Xtib81

Ahah it's always been like that. I remember saying that the first assassins creed looked like a movie.. ^^ in 10-15 years, it'll be the same thing and games like Cp2077 or Horizon will have aged a lot.

alloush

Question. How old were you when GTA5 trailer released?
I was 23. Last time a new GTA came out I was still single, just graduated and looking for work. Now I am 33 (damn I am getting old), married, work for a big corp and expecting my first kid, lol!

Ahah it's always been like that. I remember saying that the first assassins creed looked like a movie.. ^^ in 10-15 years, it'll be the same thing and games like Cp2077 or Horizon will have aged a lot.
Exactly. Prolly when RDR3 comes out we will think GTA6 looks hella gamey!

Hugare

Since it is current-gen only I wouldn't be surprised if it is using mesh shaders as well. Would be quite odd to not take advantage of that feature.
No one has used mesh shaders in an open world game yet.

It may seem like an obvious fit, but it also can be very expensive. They'll have the Series S as a baseline, and that game runs Alan Wake II (a game that uses mash shaders) at 720p

It's Rockstar, so if there's a dev that ccan pull it off, its them. But it would be tough.

To me the most impressive part of the trailer were buildings

Grand-Theft-Auto-VI-Trailer-1-0-19-screenshot-2.png

To me, this shot looks insane. The lighting is just perfect. Even better than the Matrix demo, imo

In Matrix every building looks kinda the same. They dont have balconies that can cast tons of shadows and different lighting conditions.

Look how the shadows are just perfectly casted, and light bounces just perfectly

You can see some dithering in the shadows, and they are also a bit aliased, so this is real gameplay, I presume

Insane stuff

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No one has used mesh shaders in an open world game yet.

It may seem like an obvious fit, but it also can be very expensive. They'll have the Series S as a baseline, and that game runs Alan Wake II (a game that uses mash shaders) at 720p

It's Rockstar, so if there's a dev that ccan pull it off, its them. But it would be tough.

To me the most impressive part of the trailer were buildings

Grand-Theft-Auto-VI-Trailer-1-0-19-screenshot-2.png

To me, this shot looks insane. The lighting is just perfect. Even better than the Matrix demo, imo

In Matrix every building looks kinda the same. They dont have balconies that can cast tons of shadows and different lighting conditions.

Look how the shadows are just perfectly casted, and light bounces just perfectly

You can see some dithering in the shadows, and they are also a bit aliased, so this is real gameplay, I presume

Insane stuff

Man, I don't know if this shot is so crazy. This is Cyberpunk, a 2020 game.

YSFoiFi.jpg

uTbanJl.jpg

aj5ZI3w.jpeg

Before someone quotes me: I'm talking about this specific shot / buildings.

Top Bottom