• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Hugare

Man, I don't know if this shot is so crazy. This is Cyberpunk, a 2020 game.

YSFoiFi.jpg

uTbanJl.jpg

aj5ZI3w.jpeg

Before someone quotes me: I'm talking about this specific shot / buildings.

Buildings are also my favorite part of Cyberpunk graphics, probably

They look amazing even with only raster lighting, no RT. Can look photorealistic sometimes. I always walk on foot looking up, admiring the buildings

But they look best with this specific lighting condition, I think. Of heavy shadows/penumbra.

And even then, I believe due to the materials, they dont look so real. Your 1st shot is much more realistic than the 2nd or 3rd one due to this reason (tho they still look great)

Notice how in the 2nd/3rd shots the buildings dont look as impressive where there's light from the sun

What impresses me in that GTA VI shot is how correct the lighting is and how real it looks while being baked by sunlight

Most of the best looking games right now (Cyberpunk, Alan Wake II, Callisto Protocol) look best in heavy contrast situations, where the limitations are mostly hidden

But here GTA VI is looking absolutely amazing in direct sunlight. And that's so, so tough to nail.

Also notice how in the GTA VI screenshot, there's a more gradual transition from direct sunlight to shadowed area, giving it a more reaslitic look.

Instead of going from direct sunlight to almost penumbra looking shadows

Last edited:

alloush

When games look better than real life lol
M5p8zzK.jpg
There is a question that’s been lingering in my mind for quite awhile, and that is: why are things such as buildings in games always have weird angles compared to real life? In games the buildings are almost always facing the camera even from the side if that makes sense. I dunno if you guys know what I mean but I don’t think it’s because of the camera angle cuz the comparison pictures that I see of buildings between games and real life are taken from almost the same angle.

Senua

Gold Member
There is a question that’s been lingering in my mind for quite awhile, and that is: why are things such as buildings in games always have weird angles compared to real life? In games the buildings are almost always facing the camera even from the side if that makes sense. I dunno if you guys know what I mean but I don’t think it’s because of the camera angle cuz the comparison pictures that I see of buildings between games and real life are taken from almost the same angle.
Huh? It's just a different angle

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Don’t do drugs in the morning.

Hugare

Also see how the vegetation isn't as perfectly aligned as it is in real life?

I guess it's due to the uncanny valley. Everything being perfectly aligned gives an artificial look in computer generated stuff.

We havent reached real life visuals yet, so "imperfect" computer generated stuff may give a more natural look, as ironical as it may sound

EDIT: And it's also a very different angle lol

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Buildings are also my favorite part of Cyberpunk graphics, probably

They look amazing even with only raster lighting, no RT. Can look photorealistic sometimes. I always walk on foot looking up, admiring the buildings

But they look best with this specific lighting condition, I think. Of heavy shadows/penumbra.

And even then, I believe due to the materials, they dont look so real. Your 1st shot is much more realistic than the 2nd or 3rd one due to this reason (tho they still look great)

Notice how in the 2nd/3rd shots the buildings dont look as impressive where there's light from the sun

What impresses me in that GTA VI shot is how correct the lighting is and how real it looks while being baked by sunlight

Most of the best looking games right now (Cyberpunk, Alan Wake II, Callisto Protocol) look best in heavy contrast situations, where the limitations are mostly hidden

But here GTA VI is looking absolutely amazing in direct sunlight. And that's so, so tough to nail.

That's a weird way of saying "yeah, I guess you're right".

KOV2WZy.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
... No it's not?

It looks really good, but doesn't look realistic. And I explained why.

If you think so you should go out and touch some grass, see some real buildings

Of course they are not realistic, it's Cyberpunk and it's 2077. You never used word 'realistic' in your original post. You said that the shot looks 'crazy'. There's nothing crazy about it. More complex buildings were in a game from 3 years ago that will be 5 years old by the time GTA VI releases.

This thread is fucking stupid, I swear.

Alex11

Well, if I'm understanding well enough your take, one of the big reasons is that in real life there are lots of imperfections, you may have 10 buildings that look exactly the same or perfectly straight but in reality they're not. And also things are not built on a perfect grid if that makes any sense, don't know if I'm saying this right.

Hugare

Of course they are not realistic, it's Cyberpunk and it's 2077. You never used word 'realistic' in your original post. You said that the shot looks 'crazy'. There's nothing crazy about it. More complex buildings were in a game from 3 years ago that will be 5 years old by the time GTA VI releases.

This thread is fucking stupid, I swear.

Of course they are not realistic, it's Cyberpunk and it's 2077.

Fuck me sideways, dude lol

I'm saying about how realistic the lighting is, not the world of Cyberpunk.

If you compare both images, the GTA VI or one of yours, which one is the most realistic one? Obviously the GTA VI one. That's why it's "crazy". "Nothing crazy about it" my ass, show me a screenshot of a game with a more realistic looking building.

Why would GTA VI has "more complex buildings" such as the ones in Cyberpunk if it doesnt match Florida's architecture? They match perfectly the ones in Florida, which is what devs intended

This thread is fucking stupid alright, with posts such as yours. Smh

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Fuck me sideways, dude lol

I'm saying about how realistic the lighting is, not the world of Cyberpunk.

If you compare both images, the GTA VI or one of yours, which one is the most realistic one? Obviously the GTA VI one. That's why it's "crazy". "Nothing crazy about it" my ass, show me a screenshot of a game with a more realistic looking building.

Why would GTA VI has "more complex buildings" such as the ones in Cyberpunk if it doesnt match Florida's architecture? They match perfectly the ones in Florida, which is what devs intended

This thread is fucking stupid alright, with posts such as yours. Smh

Nothing impressive about lighting showed in GTA VI trailer in a world where Cyberpunk path tracing exists. Nothing crazy about it. Not in the shot with the building, not in any other shot.

This is the kind of lighting that you can get in Cyberpunk:

hWoHeOx.png

But yeah, let's all jerk off to GTA VI trailer because it's what everyone does on the internet now. Please continue.

Alex11

Nothing impressive about lighting showed in GTA VI trailer in a world where Cyberpunk path tracing exists. Nothing crazy about it. Not in the shot with the building, not in any other shot.

hWoHeOx.png

But yeah, let's all jerk off to GTA VI trailer because it's what everyone does on the internet now. Please continue.
Don't take it personally, this GTA trailer seems to have put in overdrive almost everyone. I mean it's a gorgeous looking trailer, but if I`m honest not all things are the best.

The clouds, at least from what was shown, are inferior to the ones of Horizon FW, hell even ZD. Also the skin on some is a bit plasticky, especially in that scene on the beach that's always posted.

IMO the light in his shot of yours is more realistic than anything in the GTA trailer, but I accept that not everyone sees it that way, I just wish that it didn't have to go with "wow, such trailer, CP 2077 graphic is shit now" vibes.

Hugare

hWoHeOx.png

This looks good. But this is also not a building.

As I said, I cant think of a more real looking building in a game, with PT or not. So yeah, it looks impressive, considering it wont be using RT or PT.

Cyberpunk will still look better in some places due to PT, even after GTA VI releases.

If you dont think that theres anything impressive in that GTA VI trailer then there's no point in discussing.

But you are right, maybe everyone singing praises about it must be crazy and you are the only one being sane.

Don't take it personally, this GTA trailer seems to have put in overdrive almost everyone. I mean it's a gorgeous looking trailer, but if I`m honest not all things are the best.

The clouds, at least from what was shown, are inferior to the ones of Horizon FW, hell even ZD. Also the skin on some is a bit plasticky, especially in that scene on the beach that's always posted.

IMO the light in his shot of yours is more realistic than anything in the GTA trailer, but I accept that not everyone sees it that way, I just wish that it didn't have to go with "wow, such trailer, CP 2077 graphic is shit now" vibes.

I know you werent directly talking to me, but I'm not trying to say C2077 looks bad now. As I said, it will still looks better than GTA VI in some instances (probably, can tell the future) due to PT.

And to me it was top 1 in terms of graphics in 2023 with Phantom Luberty

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
If you dont think that theres anything impressive in that GTA VI trailer then there's no point in discussing.

I think that the trailer looks spectacular from a graphics point of view when you look at it as an entire package.

But there are aspects that are not impressive. Not at all if you've played maxed out Cyberpunk. Things like buildings, lighting and car models (outside and inside hoverer we've seen very little of the inside stuff in the trailer) are superior in Cyberpunk.

So yeah, that shot you posted: nothing crazy about it. Nada. Zero.

No one has used mesh shaders in an open world game yet.

It may seem like an obvious fit, but it also can be very expensive. They'll have the Series S as a baseline, and that game runs Alan Wake II (a game that uses mash shaders) at 720p

It's Rockstar, so if there's a dev that ccan pull it off, its them. But it would be tough.

To me the most impressive part of the trailer were buildings

Grand-Theft-Auto-VI-Trailer-1-0-19-screenshot-2.png

To me, this shot looks insane. The lighting is just perfect. Even better than the Matrix demo, imo

In Matrix every building looks kinda the same. They dont have balconies that can cast tons of shadows and different lighting conditions.

Look how the shadows are just perfectly casted, and light bounces just perfectly

You can see some dithering in the shadows, and they are also a bit aliased, so this is real gameplay, I presume

Insane stuff

Mesh Shaders can render a 1000 polygon model faster than the normal graphics pipeline.

Plus there's significantly more flexibility and precision. It would make sense for them to go for it unless they have their own custom solution like UE do with Nanite.

Kikorin

GTA VI trailer is the most impressive gaming things shown until today not because is the best in every aspect IMHO, but because of how dense everything looks, even lot more than Cyberpunk 2077, a game where physics and NPCs are completely "static". If it'll not get downgraded, imagine the effects of throwing a bomb inside the club shown in the trailer or jump with a truck on the beach. I just hope they took back the best Euphoria or even improved it.

Last edited:

Hugare

I think that the trailer looks spectacular from a graphics point of view when you look at it as an entire package.

But there are aspects that are not impressive. Not at all if you've played maxed out Cyberpunk. Things like buildings, lighting and car models (outside and inside hoverer we've seen very little of the inside stuff in the trailer) are superior in Cyberpunk.

So yeah, that shot you posted: nothing crazy about it. Nada. Zero.
Again, if you can find a photo of a more realistic looking building in a videogame, I'll be right here

Until then, I'll still find it pretty impressive looking

Mesh Shaders can render a 1000 polygon model faster than the normal graphics pipeline.

Plus there's significantly more flexibility and precision. It would make sense for them to go for it unless they have their own custom solution like UE do with Nanite.

Yeah, it's a very meaningful tech. It was impressive in Alan Wake.

Hopefuly they will offer something at least similar, as you mentioned.

SlimySnake

It is always like that, i played callisto and it looks nothing like your pics, same for cyberpunk and midgen pics, robocop never looked that good maxed out in 4k on my pc (still good tho)

It's silly to say this after hundreds of pages, but the only way to judge graphic is to play the damn game on your tv.

The stuttering must be something on your end, it had almost none of that when i played the game and it got multiple patches after that, texture loading after a while was the only problem i had.

The game is a fun AA but it doesn't have many setpieces so i knew you weren't going to like it, for the future stick to AAA dude, you are not gonna find that shit on AA games.
I like the game. Just talking about how the graphics dont stand out as much.

Like Senua said above, there are some games that look way better on my tv than in youtube videos and gifs. Alan Wake 2, Starfield and FF16 are prime examples. I actually went back and played Starfield and Callisto just to see if I was losing my mind and they both looked exactly as I remembered. Starfield looked like shit outdoors and great indoors with fantastic lighting and model quality that is way ahead of what we are getting here in robocop. The lighting is way better but that could also the art direction helping elevate it over Lumen.

At least with cyberpunk I can enjoy the visuals the way midgenrefresh sees them while im driving around, but with robocop, i just screams B tier visuals all the time. I was duped.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Again, if you can find a photo of a more realistic looking building in a videogame, I'll be right here

Until then, I'll still find it pretty impressive looking

Sorry but I'm not going to drive around Night City aimlessly in hope of finding one contemporary ass looking building to satisfy your needs. They are futuristic looking with amazing complexity, beautiful lighting, reflections and amazing architecture. In other words: more impressive than anything from that trailer. But yeah, whatever.

SlimySnake

4/10 too much green. Are there are any 'biomes' (God I hate that word) or any kind of variety in this game? All I've seen so far is this tropical forest.
there are three. one is a lush jungle. the other is sky islands. the last one is a misty forest. fans of HFW's fog will love that one.
Man, I don't know if this shot is so crazy. This is Cyberpunk, a 2020 game.

YSFoiFi.jpg

uTbanJl.jpg

aj5ZI3w.jpeg

Before someone quotes me: I'm talking about this specific shot / buildings.
Cyberpunk has the best looking buildings and architecture. Its insane that they never let us fly through them. i thought the whole point about having a vertically designed city was to have us be up there.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I like the game. Just talking about how the graphics dont stand out as much.

Like Senua said above, there are some games that look way better on my tv than in youtube videos and gifs. Alan Wake 2, Starfield and FF16 are prime examples. I actually went back and played Starfield and Callisto just to see if I was losing my mind and they both looked exactly as I remembered. Starfield looked like shit outdoors and great indoors with fantastic lighting and model quality that is way ahead of what we are getting here in robocop. The lighting is way better but that could also the art direction helping elevate it over Lumen.

At least with cyberpunk I can enjoy the visuals the way midgenrefresh sees them while im driving around, but with robocop, i just screams B tier visuals all the time. I was duped.

Literally none of what i play look remotely as good as any of the pics or gifs in this topic, this is why i post pics with my phone.

You people have a natural talent for cherry picking the shit out of any game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Thank you, kind sir.

dHcSeAD.jpg

pX8uVEv.jpeg

90X6bM7.jpeg
It's not just the flattering angle, it's the complete absence of any graphical flaws or artifact or anything, like when i play cyberpunk maxed out it looks NOTHING like your pics.

Also lg oled tv are absolute turds out of the box when it comes to color accuracy and game mode, so that is also a factor, never fucking again, next oled is gonna be another panasonic.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
lg oled tv color accuracy and game mode
Vivid Mode or FILMMAKER mode, depending on the game. If its a dark moody game, like alan wake 2, filmmaker mode.

Bright colorful game like Avatar, VIVID mode.
fine tune both to your liking.

Motion blur, CA, film grain, all on.

feast your eyes and thank me later.

game mode is disgusting trash that turns off effects that make games LOOK good in favor of "smoothness"
not to mention mute the hell out of colors

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The biggest ubisoft fanboy on reeee

The compression in the leak really did a good job at hiding how video gamey the hair looks

He must be sad that media finally got fed up with far cry shit and avatar is getting destroyed:LOL:

Hugare

UE5 already uses Mesh shaders.
Yeah, but no one used it in an open world game yet. So I'm curious to see if theres any limitations to the tech in that kind of game.

Here we go. Some more cherrypicked shots. From era this time. Will this be the new cherrypick king of the Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen thread? The first and last shots look like they are from the first movie. insane.

53378447022_c429ab02c6_o.png

53378446987_50f62e0c43_o.png

53378446977_964070815d_o.png

Looks gorgeous

GymWolf

Gold Member
Vivid Mode or FILMMAKER mode, depending on the game. If its a dark moody game, like alan wake 2, filmmaker mode.

game mode is disgusting trash that turns off effects that make games LOOK good in favor of "smoothness"
No thanks, especially vivid mode or turning on all that postprocessing shit that make my eyes bleed.

I like natural colors and a clean iq without the game turning into a shitshow every time i turn the camera.

Panasonic oleds let you inject game mode into any video mode, so you can have all the smoothness in high color accuracy modes, i have no idea why this thing is not the standard in every oled.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Here we go. Some more cherrypicked shots. From era this time. Will this be the new cherrypick king of the Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen thread? The first and last shots look like they are from the first movie. insane.

Looks ok.

Nice amount of vegetation but it has a lot of muddy textures on the ground, rocks, trees etc.

This is not a clear, nextgen jump from the best you have in forbidden west.

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah, but no one used it in an open world game yet. So I'm curious to see if theres any limitations to the tech in that kind of game.

Not exactly on the open world genre, but several games with UE5 have very large worlds, streaming a ton of geometry and using very high detail models.
Such as Remnant 2, Talos principle 2 and Robocop.

Now that real gameplay footage is available for Avatar a couple things I noticed: ps5 in performance mode looks extremely blurry compared to PC and it looks like wind effects are much less on console. There was a rainstorm happening and on PC everything was blowing and waving around it was very impressive. On console there was a slight sway to the foliage. I hope I'm wrong about this lack of wind.

Nobody except for you is going to use those modes and thank you for adding 50+ ms of input lag to every game.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

That first screenshot looks really good, the other 2 are on SW: BF level.

Also why is this site all of sudden super slow today. It takes 10 sec to load a like or select a post. My internet connection is super fast (fiber) and all the other sites and Youtube have no issue loading heavy videos and content.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That first screenshot looks really good, the other 2 are on SW: BF level.

Also why is this site all of sudden super slow today. It takes 10 sec to load a like or select a post. My internet connection is super fast (fiber) and all the other sites and Youtube have no issue loading heavy videos and content.
Gaf run like absolute shit today, gta6 trailer managed to break the internet apparently.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Nobody except for you is going to use those modes and thank you for adding 50+ ms of input lag to every game.
Is this a visual fidelity thread or a goddamn input lag thread?

someone make the "input lag I expect next gen thread"

The added input lag is literally unnoticeable unless you're playing some twitch shooter in MP.

If you want the BEST LOOKING game possible, my settings are the way to go

SlimySnake

Its crazy to me that AW2 is basically the first non-UE5 game to use mesh shaders. Its free performance and gives devs a lot more headroom to push visuals. Even UE5 games have to use nanite to get those primitive/mesh shaders boost. Since its similar to nanite in that its virtualized geometry, devs should be able to gain a lot of benefits of nanite without actually licensing UE5. lets hope that if AW2 implemented it, rockstar did too and so will ND, GG and KojiPro for their next games.

My guess is that next gen only games like FF16, Star wars, Starfield Dead Space and FF7 rebirth likely started off as last gen games or didnt want to upgrade their tech mid way through development.

Senua

Gold Member

Game mode looks absolutely fine lol, copy the settings over from filmmaker mode and hey presto

UE5's Nanite doesn't make heavy use of Mesh or Primitive Shaders - yes the engine supports them but Nanite relies mostly on its own custom compute shader solution. Epic mentioned this a few times.

Top Bottom