• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Hugare

Not exactly on the open world genre, but several games with UE5 have very large worlds, streaming a ton of geometry and using very high detail models.
Such as Remnant 2, Talos principle 2 and Robocop.
I wouldnt say that they are really comparable due to the lack of the simulations aspects found in open world games. They might be open, but they are very static.

Matrix Awakens would be the closer one, but it's still too static

But CDPR will use it in their next games, so the engine must be suited for open world games. I'm just curious to see the results.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Here we go. Some more cherrypicked shots. From era this time. Will this be the new cherrypick king of the Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen thread? The first and last shots look like they are from the first movie. insane.

53378447022_c429ab02c6_o.png

53378446987_50f62e0c43_o.png

53378446977_964070815d_o.png

I think I’ll pick it up just to annoy GymWolf GymWolf with my cherry picking skills.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Literally none of what i play look remotely as good as any of the pics or gifs in this topic, this is why i post pics with my phone.

You people have a natural talent for cherry picking the shit out of any game.
Callisto looks better on my LG OLED than it does in these gifs. my heart sinks every time i see imgur add artifacts and completely remove all colors from my callisto gifs. Same thing happened with my starfield and forza gifs. I upload videos on youtube at 4k from PS5 and they look awful. Taking gifs from those uploads adds even more artifacts. Then imgur just destroys the final image quality.

This is not an issue with screenshots since they dont get butchered by youtube and imgur. But they also dont show what the game looks like in motion and robocop just looks mid in motion even when its not stuttering on my setup. Maybe because its first person. Cyberpunk's first person view is trash too. I only like the graphics when im in a car. The FOV is just dumb and first person animations of walking are like something from the pre-KZ2 era.

I played the robocop night level last night. DF made it look like the greatest graphics of all time. But this callisto level simply looks better in every way. And this is after imgur has completely destroyed all post processing effects.

lFWljOJ.gif

AW2, Starfields interiors and Callisto are just in another league compared to robocop. Based on what ive played so far. the police station was pathetic. So many empty rooms. No atmosphere. Every single room in callisto is lit to perfection.

winjer

Gold Member
I wouldnt say that they are really comparable due to the lack of the simulations aspects found in open world games. They might be open, but they are very static.

Matrix Awakens would be the closer one, but it's still too static

But CDPR will use it in their next games, so the engine must be suited for open world games. I'm just curious to see the results.

I don't know what you really mean with static, I suppose you are talking about the amount of NPCs and not about static meshes and meshlets , like it's used in Mesh Shaders.
But yes, a game like GTA will have more NPCs moving around. Though putting detail into NPCs or into meshes will result in similar amounts of geometry transformations.
The Ai is another mattr, as with more NPCs, there is a lot more to calculate. But that is not for the geometry engine.

Hugare

Callisto looks better on my LG OLED than it does in these gifs. my heart sinks every time i see imgur add artifacts and completely remove all colors from my callisto gifs. Same thing happened with my starfield and forza gifs. I upload videos on youtube at 4k from PS5 and they look awful. Taking gifs from those uploads adds even more artifacts. Then imgur just destroys the final image quality.

This is not an issue with screenshots since they dont get butchered by youtube and imgur. But they also dont show what the game looks like in motion and robocop just looks mid in motion even when its not stuttering on my setup. Maybe because its first person. Cyberpunk's first person view is trash too. I only like the graphics when im in a car. The FOV is just dumb and first person animations of walking are like something from the pre-KZ2 era.

I played the robocop night level last night. DF made it look like the greatest graphics of all time. But this callisto level simply looks better in every way. And this is after imgur has completely destroyed all post processing effects.

lFWljOJ.gif

AW2, Starfields interiors and Callisto are just in another league compared to robocop. Based on what ive played so far. the police station was pathetic. So many empty rooms. No atmosphere. Every single room in callisto is lit to perfection.
Many people (and devs) see UE 5 as a magic silver bullet.

But as we've seen time and time again, there's no magic button that make your game look spectacular all of a sudden

I also played Robocop, and despite being the best looking UE 5 game yet, the visuals were so inconsistent.

You have those scenes where it looks photorealistic. But then you go into some other room and it looks basic and anemic of detail

"Wow, this looks awesome", but then you look to a character model that looks like its from 2008

Budget + talent is what really make an outstanding looking game nowadays. Tech can only get you so far.

TLOU Part II looked amazing at the time, but havent aged so gracefully. Still, even back then that game wasnt doing some crazy things in terms of overall tech (eyes tech was brilliant, among other stuff), but the bread and butter was known by other devs. Even John said so during his DF analysis.

But man, that game looked expensive. You could see why it took 7 years to develop. It's huge, but every place was made with terrific atention for detail. Every room tells a story. Every place you go was lit by hand by some of the best artists in the industry.

Callisto felt the same way. Expensive (and it was). You could tell that every room was lit by hand (they even said so, if you watch the dev diary on their channel). That's why it looks so good, imo, and better than 90% of UE 5 games

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Alex Baklava has confirmed that the pixel counts for GTA6 show reconstruction from 1440p native. And in one shot, slightly lower than that. They seem to be using FSR. So 4k FSR quality.

I am so fucking happy devs are not targeting native 4k anymore and are actually using the fucking tflops to push visual fidelity. Fucking insomniac just left 60% of the gpu just sitting there. wasted it in order to chase native 4k. Fucking amateurs. if ND does it with their next game......

If the Pro is indeed 70-100% more powerful, we should get native 4k on the pro anyway. Big fuck up my MS to skip mid gen refresh this gen. Absolutely retarded wasting money on a Series S and then skipping the one thing their hardcore gaming fans want.

P.S Alex said he wont be playing this game just because its not on PC. Imagine being a fanboy so bad you skip arguably the biggest game of all time because its not on your favorite hardware.

SlimySnake

They'll be showing some impressive games at the awards, don't worry about that.
yeah, im expecting Death Stranding 2, wolverine and naughty dog's new IP. They will all look fantastic visually especially if they target 1440p instead of 4k. we've already seen DS2 and wolverine should look like the OG spiderman 2 bullshot trailer.

i just dont know if they will all land as well as GTA6 did because the sheer scale of GTA6 is making every AAA game feel basic and B tier.

Senua

Gold Member
Alex Baklava has confirmed that the pixel counts for GTA6 show reconstruction from 1440p native. And in one shot, slightly lower than that. They seem to be using FSR. So 4k FSR quality.

I am so fucking happy devs are not targeting native 4k anymore and are actually using the fucking tflops to push visual fidelity. Fucking insomniac just left 60% of the gpu just sitting there. wasted it in order to chase native 4k. Fucking amateurs. if ND does it with their next game......

If the Pro is indeed 70-100% more powerful, we should get native 4k on the pro anyway. Big fuck up my MS to skip mid gen refresh this gen. Absolutely retarded wasting money on a Series S and then skipping the one thing their hardcore gaming fans want.

P.S Alex said he wont be playing this game just because its not on PC. Imagine being a fanboy so bad you skip arguably the biggest game of all time because its not on your favorite hardware.
The native 4k games are the obvious PS4 rooted games. It's an easy upgrade. Instead of going balls out and adding more fidelity with better post processing, models etc just pump up the rez. Imagine how insane GT8 will look when they release something better than a 4k PS4 game with nicer motion blur..

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
yeah, im expecting Death Stranding 2, wolverine and naughty dog's new IP.
No way in shit do we get all 3 of these. Sony in the Jim Ryan era has just abandoned all game shows, I think they show up with DS2 and thats it. Maybe GOW DLC. dont set yourself up for disappointment.

ND specifically, I think they announce their next thing when its 6 months out.

alloush

Huh? It's just a different angle
Don’t do drugs in the morning.
Also see how the vegetation isn't as perfectly aligned as it is in real life?

I guess it's due to the uncanny valley. Everything being perfectly aligned gives an artificial look in computer generated stuff.

We havent reached real life visuals yet, so "imperfect" computer generated stuff may give a more natural look, as ironical as it may sound

EDIT: And it's also a very different angle lol
Lol you fuckers I knew I had to spoon-feed you what I meant. Check this out:
CZcWi2t.png

Cwl1Onl.png

gUCu0sj.png

It is noticeable the most in the 3rd screenshot, I just cannot explain what I mean by they look differently between the real and virtual world but that's the most I could do!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

DF says there is some form of realtime GI in this game. Likely RTGI. It looks even better than the matrix awakens demo because in the Matrix demo, RTGI/hardware lumen is used only for a couple of blocks while GTA6 seems to be using it for distant buildings. But i think this might be because its effectively a cutscene instead of gameplay like matrix awakens.

Still crazy that the game that looks this dense and packed with detail is pushing RTGI on consoles. I told you all these consoles were powerful. Devs just had to take advantage of them.

solidus12

I played Alan Wake on PS5 on 30fps. I still think that Last of Us Part 1 looks better. Callisto Protocol too.

People saying that Alan Wake 2 is the best looking game ever are wrong.

alloush

DF says there is some form of realtime GI in this game. Likely RTGI. It looks even better than the matrix awakens demo because in the Matrix demo, RTGI/hardware lumen is used only for a couple of blocks while GTA6 seems to be using it for distant buildings. But i think this might be because its effectively a cutscene instead of gameplay like matrix awakens.

Still crazy that the game that looks this dense and packed with detail is pushing RTGI on consoles. I told you all these consoles were powerful. Devs just had to take advantage of them.
Excuse my ignorance but what does RTGI actually do?

Audiophile

CP2077 or AW2 may be doing a lot of technically impressive things but I find the overall, cohesive whole of GTAVI vastly more striking. There's a highly granular distance fog and they seem to nail how light interacts with it and the atmosphere. The image is clean but soft. The assets appear more distinct. It all just looks like it belongs together and is lively and dynamic. There's just this dead, flat, rudimentary feel that I can't shake with CP2077; even when it's complete cranked and doing all of these impressive technical feats. It just feels barren and uninspired by comparison.

There's a "next-gen sheen" to GTAVI that I can't put entirely into words.

I know it all sounds a bit inexact and airy fairy; and I love the ins and outs of the technical side of things, but it ultimately comes down to the overall effect on screen and how it makes me feel.

I look at CP2077 and think "there's a PS4 game with all the dials turned up and some impressive technical features on PCs with GPUS that have >3x the power of a PS5."

I look at GTAVI and think "the next current gen as finally around the corner!"

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It is noticeable the most in the 3rd screenshot, I just cannot explain what I mean by they look differently between the real and virtual world but that's the most I could do!
I am still not sure what you mean by angles:

why are things such as buildings in games always have weird angles compared to real life? In games the buildings are almost always facing the camera even from the side if that makes sense.

why would the buildings face the camera even if you are looking at them from the sides?

I played Alan Wake on PS5 on 30fps. I still think that Last of Us Part 1 looks better. Callisto Protocol too.

People saying that Alan Wake 2 is the best looking game ever are wrong.
Starfield's interiors both in terms of lighting and asset quality, Callisto, and AW2's lighting and asset quality is way above TLOU2. And unlike Stafield and AW2, I played CP at 30 fps on the PS5. It looks virtually identical to PC's high save for some volumetric lighting and fog effects.

TLOU2 shines best in outdoor levels in rain. Its interiors just lack the kind of detail modern games are throwing at the screen. That chapter where Ellie rides the boat in the storm is probably on par with AW2, but overall it is lacking in several key areas. You can see that in the trailer released yesterday. Features the same levels as the single player games. Looks a generation behind most games released this year.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Excuse my ignorance but what does RTGI actually do?
It handles global illumination more accurate. DF gives a good example of it where the light bounces off of Lucia when she's in the prison cell when turns around and then illuminates the bed and other surroundings.

Any kind of good realtime GI solution would handle something dynamic like a character turning around more accurately than what devs do today which is faking the textures to look like they are getting a glow from a neon light or sun light. There was a good video about UE5's lumen where this guy shows how he removed a chair from an area in a baked lighting UE5 game and the chair shadows were still there because the light data was baked in meaning it has no idea that the chair was removed until they re-run the baking process. Which apparently takes days. let me see if i can find that video.

RTGI and realtime GI being used in games like Starfield and Forza can handle dynamic lighting elements more gracefully. RTGI is basically doing the same thing but with ray tracing so its more accurate than Starfield's software GI. But its far more expensive which is why no console game other than Metro is using it. Even UE5 games on consoles are using software lumen instead of hardware lumen which uses RT hardware in the PS5 and XSX. Matrix is still the only UE5 product to use hardware lumen on consoles.

Its crazy to me that they have RTGI and RT reflections working in a game this detailed. but then again, ive always said that these are powerful consoles that are not being utilized properly because of devs targeting native 4k instead of pushing visual fidelity.

alloush

I am still not sure what you mean by angles:
why would the buildings face the camera even if you are looking at them from the sides?
I posted screens of what I meant, I didn’t know how to explain it, check the screens you will know what I meant. But basically when you look at buildings in videogames they are always stood in a way they move with the camera. Anyhoo, this question is too sophisticated for you guys will ask a programmer or something :messenger_winking_tongue:

GymWolf

Gold Member

lFWljOJ.gif

I played callisto on ps5 and it was unremarkable except for the human faces and armours (also buggy as shit).

I guess on pc it looks completely different...

SlimySnake

Did sony ever showed a world premiere 10 min vertical slice at the game awards?

Don't they usually use their own events?

Yeah, i'm not optimistic.
Death Stranding got one back in 2017 i think. I think DS2 is a lock.

At the summer gamefest last year with keighley, they also revealed TLOU remake in a 10 minute interview/trailer talk with neil and troy baker. I think they will be there in some form. Especially since they skipped their september show this year and had fuck all to show from their first parties in summer. i think Wolverine, GoT2, ND's new IP, SSM's new IP and Bend's new IP should all have short 2 minute teasers like GTA ready to go. They will probably save them for next year but i doubt they only show up with just one this year. Especially since the show got 100 million views last year. its free advertising.

alloush

It handles global illumination more accurate. DF gives a good example of it where the light bounces off of Lucia when she's in the prison cell when turns around and then illuminates the bed and other surroundings.

Any kind of good realtime GI solution would handle something dynamic like a character turning around more accurately than what devs do today which is faking the textures to look like they are getting a glow from a neon light or sun light. There was a good video about UE5's lumen where this guy shows how he removed a chair from an area in a baked lighting UE5 game and the chair shadows were still there because the light data was baked in meaning it has no idea that the chair was removed until they re-run the baking process. Which apparently takes days. let me see if i can find that video.

RTGI and realtime GI being used in games like Starfield and Forza can handle dynamic lighting elements more gracefully. RTGI is basically doing the same thing but with ray tracing so its more accurate than Starfield's software GI. But its far more expensive which is why no console game other than Metro is using it. Even UE5 games on consoles are using software lumen instead of hardware lumen which uses RT hardware in the PS5 and XSX. Matrix is still the only UE5 product to use hardware lumen on consoles.

Its crazy to me that they have RTGI and RT reflections working in a game this detailed. but then again, ive always said that these are powerful consoles that are not being utilized properly because of devs targeting native 4k instead of pushing visual fidelity.
Oh thanks a bunch dude. That makes a lotta sense, that chair example was the one that did it for me. If you could find that video that would be neat!

I always thought RTGI is the same as real time GI so I always got confused when I saw people using both terms when talking about lighting and reflections like “this game uses RTGI and real time GI” and I always went “huh, arent they the same thing?” Lol.

Is this a visual fidelity thread or a goddamn input lag thread?

someone make the "input lag I expect next gen thread"

The added input lag is literally unnoticeable unless you're playing some twitch shooter in MP.

If you want the BEST LOOKING game possible, my settings are the way to go

No doubt standard setting on LG looks WAY better than game mode.

It's just kinda unplayable

All Ray traced gi is real time gi but "real time" gi (unless otherwise specified as using ray tracing) is not ray traced

Oh thanks a bunch dude. That makes a lotta sense, that chair example was the one that did it for me. If you could find that video that would be neat!

I always thought RTGI is the same as real time GI so I always got confused when I saw people using both terms when talking about lighting and reflections like “this game uses RTGI and real time GI” and I always went “huh, arent they the same thing?” Lol.

SlimySnake

yeah realtime GI has been around for a while. Epic had it in UE4 before taking it out probably because consoles couldnt handle it, but actual the fable devs back in 2015 had it implemented on the base xbox one before Phil in his infinite wisdom shut them down. You dont need ray tracing for realtime GI.

RTGI is just more accurate. Just like how hardware lumen is more accurate than software lumen which is basically your realtime GI. I get into fights with PC bros who want RTGI in every game, but i know how taxing RTGI can be from enabling these on pc games like cyberpunk and metro. Literally halves the performance even on nvidia GPU. Im ok with software lumen on consoles. Leave RT for the PC for future proofing. Avatar is also using RTGI on consoles with a similar 1440p target so maybe those PC games I played were poorly optimized and consoles can do it after all.

here is the video with the chair example. Timestamped.

Here is that fable video.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
CZcWi2t.png

Cwl1Onl.png

gUCu0sj.png

It's just different angles dude, most of those are bad comparisons because in Horizon they are about half as high due to being covered in sand and they are not at the same angle. So in the lower IRL, upward facing shots there is more depth. The last comparison looks bang on because it's almost the same angle

alloush

yeah realtime GI has been around for a while. Epic had it in UE4 before taking it out probably because consoles couldnt handle it, but actual the fable devs back in 2015 had it implemented on the base xbox one before Phil in his infinite wisdom shut them down. You dont need ray tracing for realtime GI.

RTGI is just more accurate. Just like how hardware lumen is more accurate than software lumen which is basically your realtime GI. I get into fights with PC bros who want RTGI in every game, but i know how taxing RTGI can be from enabling these on pc games like cyberpunk and metro. Literally halves the performance even on nvidia GPU. Im ok with software lumen on consoles. Leave RT for the PC for future proofing. Avatar is also using RTGI on consoles with a similar 1440p target so maybe those PC games I played were poorly optimized and consoles can do it after all.

here is the video with the chair example. Timestamped.

Here is that fable video.

Awesome, you the man Slimy. I remember people saying The Matrix demo was using hardware lumen I guess? And how it was much more taxing than software lumen and whilst it does make the game look better the hit to performance aint worth it.

Will check out those vids, but I am starting to get it.

All Ray traced gi is real time gi but "real time" gi (unless otherwise specified as using ray tracing) is not ray traced
First time I know this, appreciate it Feel!

Gotta do more research on this topic it’s a bit deep!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Death Stranding got one back in 2017 i think. I think DS2 is a lock.

At the summer gamefest last year with keighley, they also revealed TLOU remake in a 10 minute interview/trailer talk with neil and troy baker. I think they will be there in some form. Especially since they skipped their september show this year and had fuck all to show from their first parties in summer. i think Wolverine, GoT2, ND's new IP, SSM's new IP and Bend's new IP should all have short 2 minute teasers like GTA ready to go. They will probably save them for next year but i doubt they only show up with just one this year. Especially since the show got 100 million views last year. its free advertising.
So a non-sony game made by a second party(?) and a shitty, cheap remake that was made just because of the serial tv and that is an insult to consider a big announcement?! noice :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

So actually nothing big from sony first parties.

I was talking about stuff like:

sushima 2
new bend game
new corey game
new nd game or tlou 3
New bluepoint game

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Haha not sure honestly but I am intrigued to check out the dude you are talking about.
Someone posted his video in the topic for the trailer and he start with talking about how he worked on previous rockstar games and his takes are new and you are not gonna find any other impression video with his takes and then proceed to say absolutely nothing new in the slightest :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So RTGI, RT reflections, NO RT Shadows. Looks realtime, not pre-rendered but those tiktok scenes might be pre-rendered. 4k FSR quality so 1440p internal. No RT reflections on large bodies of water. RT reflections have SSR fallbacks.

That last part tells me that the series S version will likely have no RT which also bodes well for a performance mode on the PS5 and XSX. The only question is just how intensive the NPC cpu simulations really are. Its one thing to render all those people in strip clubs and in the beaches, another thing altogether to shoot up the place and have them all react. I remember playing GTA4 DLC episodes on my PC and i was maxing out at 40 fps despite having a pretty decent modern CPU back in 2010 or 2011 and a GPU 8x more powerful than the PS3.

Falc67

Question. How old were you when GTA5 trailer released?
This.

I’ve had one of these moments though.

I was 14/15, walking past a store and a boxing fight was on a 22” screen. Looked close to see who was fighting, then realised it was fight night round 3 on Xbox 360. I legit thought it was real at first.

I had an after school job. So bought the 360 not long after.

CZcWi2t.png

Cwl1Onl.png

gUCu0sj.png

Maybe the difference you notice is the lens of the camera. Almost all of the reallife counterparts are taken with a very short lens, making the FOV wider and the angles more exaggerated.
While most ingame camera’s go for something like 60 FOV. Which makes things ‘flatter’, but this is necessary especially in third person games, because else the player character would look weird or too small.

In the GTA6 example it’s the other way around. The real beach picture is taken with a long lens, from way further then the ingame shot. So the buildings have a different perspective in relation to the camera.

Tldr: game camera’s are boring, but they have to be.

And Raytraced reflections to boot (SSR is seemingly being used as a fall back). Still this is shaping up to be a genre defining game.

alloush

Maybe the difference you notice is the lens of the camera. Almost all of the reallife counterparts are taken with a very short lens, making the FOV wider and the angles more exaggerated.
While most ingame camera’s go for something like 60 FOV. Which makes things ‘flatter’, but this is necessary especially in third person games, because else the player character would look weird or too small.

In the GTA6 example it’s the other way around. The real beach picture is taken with a long lens, from way further then the ingame shot. So the buildings have a different perspective in relation to the camera.

Tldr: game camera’s are boring, but they have to be.
This is the best explanation I have read so far regarding this. It makes sense what you said. I had a different opinion and that is videogames are still not fully 3D yet. I remember watching a video on this where they basically said that videogames are fake 3D they make them look 3D through tricks and smoke and mirrors.

That’s what I thought the reason behind the weird look of buildings in videogames where they looked flat was, that’s the word I was looking for, flat, like a cardboard!

Lethal01

Reality lacks art direction.

Architecture has tons of art direction, florida and many american cities is just flat and boring as fuck.
we should go somewhere more mountainous.

This is the best explanation I have read so far regarding this. It makes sense what you said. I had a different opinion and that is videogames are still not fully 3D yet. I remember watching a video on this where they basically said that videogames are fake 3D they make them look 3D through tricks and smoke and mirrors.

That’s what I thought the reason behind the weird look of buildings in videogames where they looked flat was, that’s the word I was looking for, flat, like a cardboard!

Top Bottom