• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

blue velvet

Jesus H Keeerist... I gotta say that looks insane, first time I've seen justification for buying a 4090, parts of that almost look like a CGI movie

This guy's videos are only done during rain or overcast. You just know that Reshade mod gonna look like shit if there are shadows from the sun being cast. Noon and golden hour are always hard to get it right unless the modders know anything about color grading, which most of them don't. They just tinker with different effects until it looks good to them but even then it's not going to be consistent. Oversaturation, black level getting crushed, overdone reflections are always the suspects with these reshade mods. Not impressed.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Instead of using RT reflections as default and SSR as a fall back, it'd make more sense to me to flip it and use high quality SSR as the default and then inject RT on a <per-pixel basis to plug the gaps for off-screen or occluded objects/areas in reflections.

Would be cheaper and/or allow higher quality reflections. Should there be some lag or "gaps" then perhaps a small buffer zone with a gentle roll-off/blend, possibly even combined motion vectors and perspective to predict what needs to be in memory and ready to be drawn in to the reflection.

Just seems incredibly inefficient to me to have so many reflections being done by RT when they're not occluded/off-screen; and when SSR can do it cheaper and more cleanly.

Last edited:

Dunker99

From a purely selfish point of view, as someone who doesn’t game on PC, I wish there was a separate console-only “Graphical Fidelity expected this gen” thread. So much of the graphics and screenshots being discussed on here are being played on expensive PCs with high end graphics cards on ultra settings etc. So of course they are going to look amazing. I’m purely interested in what’s achievable on current gen consoles - which is what I though this thread would be discussing (do PC’s even have “generations”?)

Not trying to start an argument or be an ass - just putting my viewpoint out there :). Oh, and I don’t have the required privileges to start my own thread, before anyone suggests that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
From a purely selfish point of view, as someone who doesn’t game on PC, I wish there was a separate console-only “Graphical Fidelity expected this gen” thread. So much of the graphics and screenshots being discussed on here are being played on expensive PCs with high end graphics cards on ultra settings etc. So of course they are going to look amazing. I’m purely interested in what’s achievable on current gen consoles - which is what I though this thread would be discussing (do PC’s even have “generations”?)

Not trying to start an argument or be an ass - just putting my viewpoint out there :). Oh, and I don’t have the required privileges to start my own thread, before anyone suggests that.
I dont know if I agree. Every PC game i played last year aside from Avatar required me to disable RT even on a $850 3080. The games were all poorly optimized for RT and the only way to get a stable 60 fps was to disable RT in games like Hogwarts, RE4, Star Wars, Forza and Alan Wake 2. This has been the trend all gen with Gotham Knights causing drops to 2 fps with RT on. point is that even with RT off, these games look phenomenal on my PC. hell, hogwarts, star wars and RE4 had RT enabled in the quality mode on PS5. So they got a better visual experience than I did on PC. Consoles use mostly medium to high settings anyway.

I think Cyberpunk is that one rare exception but other games look more or less the same on PC. Just at higher/more stable resolutions. that will be fixed when the Pro comes out and runs most of these games at native 4k 30 fps or some kind of DLSS like solution. For example, I played Callisto on PS5 this year and was blown away. Bought it on PC and didnt notice a drastic improvement. Its basically the same game just higher resolutions.

Problem could be that more and more console gamers are playing in watered down 60 fps modes that disable all the fancy graphics effects. I play games at 30 fps on consoles, Spiderman 2, callisto, and FF16, and didnt have any complaints.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
With the Indy game reveal today, I've been in the mood for some MachineGames fun, so I've been playing through Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

Damn, it's still quite the looker for a nearly 7 year old game, and runs extremely well:

53471967178_c0880b7b13_o.png

53472136534_19e8523f6e_o.png

53471829181_341c6042ac_o.png

53471829131_7aed96d5a0_o.png

I expect the new Indy game is going to be very impressive visually.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Thread should get some fresh air breathed into it an under an hour.

Lets see what Indiana Jones brings to the next gen table.

SlimySnake

With the Indy game reveal today, I've been in the mood for some MachineGames fun, so I've been playing through Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

Damn, it's still quite the looker for a nearly 7 year old game, and runs extremely well:

53471967178_c0880b7b13_o.png

53472136534_19e8523f6e_o.png

53471829181_341c6042ac_o.png

53471829131_7aed96d5a0_o.png

I expect the new Indy game is going to be very impressive visually.
Sorry bud but Indy looks like they took the wolfenstein engine and did a Spiderman style copy pasta. Underwhelming as fuck.

Hellblade 2 on the other hand looks like two generations ahead. What a stunning looking game.

I think these Bethesda studios need to embrace UE5. Just throw whatever trash engine you are using for Deathloop, Ghostwire, Indiana Jones and start over. Your games look like shit. Have some self respect. You are first party now. Good god.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Sorry bud but Indy looks like they took the wolfenstein engine and did a Spiderman style copy pasta. Underwhelming as fuck.

Hellblade 2 on the other hand looks like two generations ahead. What a stunning looking game.

I think these Bethesda studios need to embrace UE5. Just throw whatever trash engine you are using for Deathloop, Ghostwire, Indiana Jones and start over. Your games look like shit. Have some self respect. You are first party now. Good god.

Yeah, Indy looks like a PS4/Xbox One game. Ugh. Not sold on the gameplay either.

Hellblade 2 does look stunning.

DanielG165

In terms of sheer unadulterated fidelity, Senua’s Saga likely won’t have an equal until Naught Dog releases Last of Us 3 or something. Even at 1080 60fps on YouTube, it looks absolutely NUTS. Like, it feels as though Ninja Theory squeezed every last ounce of performance out of the Series X to push the visuals as far as they could go, and they had the perfect opportunity to do so with a linear game like this.

I can’t imagine what this game will look like natively in May. I also seem to be an outlier here, but I genuinely liked how Indiana Jones looked. Very densely packed and rich, utilizing a lot of different tech from the looks of things.

EDIT: Yeah no, Indiana Jones looks stunning, especially at 4K. I’m personally very impressed with what I’m seeing so far from it. It looks to have a nice mixture of stylization and raw fidelity and density.

Last edited:

Represent.

In terms of sheer unadulterated fidelity, Senua’s Saga likely won’t have an equal until Naught Dog releases Last of Us 3 or something. Even at 1080 60fps on YouTube, it looks absolutely NUTS. Like, it feels as though Ninja Theory squeezed every last ounce of performance out of the Series X to push the visuals as far as they could go, and they had the perfect opportunity to do so with a linear game like this.
Yeah, they made it clear they want to push the hell out of fidelity. So fucking refreshing. I expect no stupid performance mode, just push visuals as far as possible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sorry I got carried away. i know this is just the artstyle but I couldn't help myself :p

hkgnJqZ.png

YyLEw9F.png

9JjmY3K.png

5d0r5Az.png

On the serious note - uncharted 4 being 2016 looks incredible.
And 3rd image - ff16... I still can't comprehend if this game is real at times. CGI quality but maybe it is actually cgi lol. We need to wait for pc version to confirm

H . R . 2

Some studios don’t deserve to make games for iconic franchises. We are giving b and c tier studios keys to these massive franchises and it’s obvious that they are literally generations behind a tier studios.
but Howard said "The best studio in the world"

this game doesn't even look half as good as Wolfenstein: The New Order, I've seen better looking VR titles than this

PS. as good as HB2 looks, I am still pissed at them for the downgrade in the facial animations since the reveal trailer

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Some studios don’t deserve to make games for iconic franchises. We are giving b and c tier studios keys to these massive franchises and it’s obvious that they are literally generations behind a tier studios.
They probably don't feel passionate and would prefer to make their own stuff... not a fucking movie game... it must be horrible to make indianajones game. All the restrictions

Flabagast

Sorry I got carried away. i know this is just the artstyle but I couldn't help myself :p

hkgnJqZ.png

YyLEw9F.png

9JjmY3K.png

5d0r5Az.png

And 3rd image - ff16... I still can't comprehend if this game is real at times. CGI quality but maybe it is actually cgi lol. We need to wait for pc version to confirm
FF16 does have some CGI but the vast majority of the cutscenes are in game.

And yes the character models are incredible

From what they've shown in trailers and gameplay snippets Hellblade II seems extremely limited in scope. Add the black bars and it makes sense why it looks so good. Of course we have to wait until we can actually play it to properly judge it.

eNT1TY

Hellblade 2 looks almost certain to force "cinematic" black bars, which is basically a cheat so they can render fewer pixels. That ruins it for me. Can't fucking stand black bars.
No black bars on 21:9 ultrawide then, that will probably be the best way to play it. Unless there are additional black bars on the sides as well in which case that would suck considering sunua's sacrifice eventually received native ultrawide support.

SimTourist

I understand if people had issues with the other models but Indy's model looked fucking fantastic.
It looks like shit bruh, not realistic and not cartoony either, just a strange in between, it looks like it's a made in character editor with preset hair and features rather than hand made. Doesn't look like Harrison Ford but like a knockoff impression of him.

bender

What time is it?

The Collective did a pretty good job with Buffy and Indy.

SlimySnake

Medal of Honor with Whips it is.
This definitely has that PS2 medal of honor look to it. Same art style and lighting. The colors are all wrong here. The greens dont look green. The desert lacks any color whatsoever. Its like those PS3 era unreal games that simply didnt have the colors required to make games look green and everything just looked brown and ugly.

Thats what im seeing here.

Indy looked last gen to me. Dunno why people are saying it has great graphics. Lip sync was off, character models - maybe crossgen would be more kind to say. Although I will play the shit out of it probably. I kinda wish they just made another wolfenstein I love those games.

Avowed graphically has a cool art style - still doesn’t look next gen… I probably won’t like this game anyway it’s not my thing.

Both games look good enough but just not at the level I thought we’d be at. Where the hell is a new ID game? Christ.

Hellblade 2 on the other hand — HOW. How does it look like this? It’s so far beyond the other two, beyond anything I’ve ever played… you’re telling me these AAA guys can’t get something to look like that and it not be a mental issues simulator?

Last edited:

Represent.

Goddamn TLOU 2 still looks good, the only thing really dated is the lighting. Game looks beautiful in Native 4K.

Looks better than anything at the Xbox showcase today except for Hellblade II

The production values haven't been touched by a game this gen. Wont be untili GTA6.

Sony just know how to make high end Single Player games. No one does it like ND.

I cannot fucking wait for their next game.

Last edited:

damidu

yeah and these are just stills, when they animate indy is uncanny canyon, and uncharted looks at least a generation ahead, despite being released almost a decade ago.
its bonkers really, kinda explains why macinegames shied away from 3rd person too.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Goddamn TLOU 2 still looks good, the only thing really dated is the lighting. Game looks beautiful in Native 4K.

Looks better than anything at the Xbox showcase today except for Hellblade II

The production values haven't been touched by a game this gen. Wont be untili GTA6.

Sony just know how to make high end Single Player games. No one does it like ND.

I cannot fucking wait for their next game.
Imagine how it would have looked if the remaster wasn't a fraud.

This is even worse than nintendo remasters...

H . R . 2

people who suddenly 'don't mind the black bars' or the short length of the game are the ones who, back in the day, shat on
The Order 1886, arguably the most visually advanced last-get game, for the very same reasons and eventually contributed to the closure of a studio.

gamers are a strange breed

Last edited:

CGNoire

It has that waxxy look of PS3 era uncharted models. The skin shading is all wrong. This is not what real people are supposed to look like.
I agree it is a little stylized. But the stylized work on Indys model looks pretty sharp and complex to my eyes. (Watched it on a 720p cellphone.) Will checkout again on tv with a highbitrate stream to confirm but it looked like some suitibly complex shader and hair rendering work. The other characters looked noticeably outdated though which is a shame but not as much as being 1st person is.

Last edited:

CGNoire

This definitely has that PS2 medal of honor look to it. Same art style and lighting. The colors are all wrong here. The greens dont look green. The desert lacks any color whatsoever. Its like those PS3 era unreal games that simply didnt have the colors required to make games look green and everything just looked brown and ugly.

Thats what im seeing here.
I meant the fact that its first person in the 30s and your fighting Nazi's with orchestral music....but now ya got a whip.

Its like those PS3 era unreal games that simply didnt have the colors required to make games look green and everything just looked brown and ugly.
You couldnt possible believe this Ridiculous Myth?
Please tell me your being tongue and cheek?

Last edited:
This year is going to suck and Hellblade 2 is probably going to suck but at least we are getting one next gen looking game this year.

WfVQoYi.gif

1k6NQKV.gif

Dude, you need to tone down the doom and gloom a bit. For months you posted that GTAVI would look last gen because the alpha was running on a PS4 and Rockstar wasn't the same anymore and in the end GTAVI trailer looked above and beyond anything we have today. Let's wait for things to happen before we complain. The year barely started.

SlimySnake

Dude, you need to tone down the doom and gloom a bit. For months you posted that GTAVI would look last gen because the alpha was running on a PS4 and Rockstar wasn't the same anymore and in the end GTAVI trailer looked above and beyond anything we have today. Let's wait for things to happen before we complain. The year barely started.
I am just looking at what is set to release this year and its just a bunch of last gen looking games like FF7, Dragon's Dogma, indy, Suicide Squad, Rise Of Ronin, MGS3 remake. Not going to be a great year for graphics whores for sure.

Hellblade 2 and Star Wars Outlaws will be the only next gen lookers releasing this year and lets face it, star wars is getting delayed. Silent Hill 3 and the next AC have the potential to impress, but neither has shown gameplay let alone a trailer in AC's case so not much to go off of. Still 4 games in the 4th year of the gen is not a good look.

Another "get down to earth"-reminder from that MS conference. Hellblade still looks like a glorified tech demo with the scope of an average living room, which is probably the only reason why it looks as good as it does and the rest....well, the rest...... I think everything has been said already.
The more mediocrity is announced the more my respect rises for "early attempts" and "ongoing improvements" like Horizon:FW or CP2077.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Another "get down to earth"-reminder from that MS conference. Hellblade still looks like a glorified tech demo with the scope of an average living room, which is probably the only reason why it looks as good as it does and the rest....well, the rest...... I think everything has been said already.
The more mediocrity is announced the more my respect rises for "early attempts" and "ongoing improvements" like Horizon:FW or CP2077.
I was wrong about the MS acquisitions. I was hoping that MS would take these B and C Tier Zenimax studios, get them the resources they need to become A tier graphics powerhouses like Sony studios after they were acquired but I was wrong. MS either doesnt care about pushing graphics or they are way too hands off. I just remember studios like Sucker Punch, Evo Studios and GG just taking graphics to the next level as soon as they got acquired by Sony.

With how talented IDSoft is I am surprised their engine isnt being adopted by studios like Machine Games and Arkhane. Obsidian and Bethesda I can understand, they make RPGs with complex systems so they cant really leave those engines behind, but Id Software shouldve been made the lead technical studio over at MS the moment they were bought out 3 years ago. At this point these bethesda studios are just hurting the brand.

At least Halo is going to UE5 so maybe in 5 years we get a next gen looking Halo like Hellblade 2, but if these 24 MS studios continue producing last gen games then wtf was the point of going first party?

SlimySnake

I agree it is a little stylized. But the stylized work on Indys model looks pretty sharp and complex to my eyes. (Watched it on a 720p cellphone.) Will checkout again on tv with a highbitrate stream to confirm but it looked like some suitibly complex shader and hair rendering work. The other characters looked noticeably outdated though which is a shame but not as much as being 1st person is.
Hair rendering is fine but its a first person game so not like we will see it outside of cutscenes. I watched it on a big screen and its just lacking colors, and detail. It is clearly a 60 fps game.

Hell, Avowed looks better. its just that it is also cartoony and has a stupid art style but at least its pushing higher quality environments and lighting.

KCxHg54.gif

Last edited:
At least Halo is going to UE5 so maybe in 5 years we get a next gen looking Halo like Hellblade 2, but if these 24 MS studios continue producing last gen games then wtf was the point of going first party?
GP fodder imho, they`ve lost the hardware race for good so that`s the only horse left to bet on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom