• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

With how talented IDSoft is I am surprised their engine isnt being adopted by studios like Machine Games and Arkhane. Obsidian and Bethesda I can understand, they make RPGs with complex systems so they cant really leave those engines behind, but Id Software shouldve been made the lead technical studio over at MS the moment they were bought out 3 years ago. At this point these bethesda studios are just hurting the brand.
Machine games was already using id Tech engine for their Wolfenstein games and the Void engine (Deathloop) from Arkane is also based on the id Tech source code, they just rewrote a part of it.

Last edited:
What an awful showcase. That series S bottleneck is becoming more and more prevalent as we trudge through this lame ass corporatized gen.

I don’t know what some of you were expecting. Microsoft’s brand is not quality anymore in the same way McDonald’s brand is not quality. McDonald’s is brand is cheap, quick and convenient. Microsoft’s brand is not that different now as they’re clearly just making disposable content for game pass by and large.

I would say if you want next gen playstation is your last hope but their big exclusive this year (SM2) looked worse than their cross gen game from early 2021 (HZ2). And their big exclusive last year (GOW5) was literally a PS4 game at 4k 60fps. Sad state of affairs.

(Also I think some of you are overrating the hell out of hellblade 2 but I understand because a tiny water bottle when you’re sifting through the desert would be like a jug of Fiji)

Last edited:

DanielG165

Yeah, I’m sorry, but I don’t personally see how Indiana Jones looks graphically sub par, especially having watched the trailer a third time today in 4K with YouTube’s compression on top. The game genuinely looks wonderful to me.

I also don’t see how Senua’s Saga is being overrated? Ninja Theory have always pushed the visuals and density in their games, and Hellblade 2 is currently the zenith of that. There is, from what we’ve seen yesterday, no stone left unturned by them as far as sheer detail are density is concerned. It doesn’t at all matter if the game is linear, or that it may have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. The game is frankly nuts in what it’s pushing. It’s not the biggest current gen game in terms of in-game scale, but it’s most certainly one of, or if not the most densely packed and detailed.

H2 looks like it is genuinely going all out with fidelity, and pushing the Series X as far as it’ll go. I’m super curious to see how warm and how loud this game will make that box, lol.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
What an awful showcase. That series S bottleneck is becoming more and more prevalent as we trudge through this lame ass corporatized gen.

I don’t know what some of you were expecting. Microsoft’s brand is not quality anymore in the same way McDonald’s brand is not quality. McDonald’s is brand is cheap, quick and convenient. Microsoft’s brand is not that different now as they’re clearly just making disposable content for game pass by and large.

I would say if you want next gen playstation is your last hope but their big exclusive this year (SM2) looked worse than their cross gen game from early 2021 (HZ2). And their big exclusive last year (GOW5) was literally a PS4 game at 4k 60fps. Sad state of affairs.

(Also I think some of you are overrating the hell out of hellblade 2 but I understand because a tiny water bottle when you’re sifting through the desert would be like a jug of Fiji)

Stop with this stupid argument. The near-universally agreed upon best looking games of last year, Alan Wake II, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, and Avatar, were all on Series S, and they bested PS5 exclusives like Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-man 2, and others.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They definitely improved the in game character models in the remaster.

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-Remastered-20240119020525.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

No one gives a shit about Series S. If Series S was a bottleneck then hellblade 2 wouldnt look like that.

developers are literally shipping games on Series S without RT at sub 500p resolutions. They dont care. The base target is the PS5 which itself is struggling to maintain 1440p 30 fps as we saw in AW2.

Dont look at an MS show with a bunch of c tier bethesda developers and think thats the best next gen can offer, let alone the best MS first party can offer. Wait for Coalition Games, Playground Games, and ID Software. Honestly, i was very impressed by bethesda in Starfield. They put in the effort and it really showed. Arkhane, Machine Games, Tango Studios, and Obsidian clearly dont give a shit about it the same way bethesda did. Just go play the first wolfenstein game on PS4. it looked like a PS3 game. They improved their rendering pipeline with the second game, but clearly pushing graphics fidelity is not their main concern.

i dont mind HB2 being a linear game. The Order was a linear game and its still revered in this thread. Not every game needs to be open world. Their work on the game goes beyond just adding black bars and smaller areas to push fidelity. The animation work, visual effects and cinematography are exceptional. you can see just how cinematic and beautiful those gameplay sequences look. Thats no accident. It is hundreds of hours of artist work to get it to look that good. This is stuff we expect from GG and ND and Ninja Theory is just taking it to the next level.

I think Phil just bought the wrong set of studios. these bethesda guys just make the most basic and average games. You cant be giving them keys to the Bentley. They shouldve acquired more studios like Ninja Theory. Maybe Crystal Dynamics, Remedy and Eidos Montreal who care about pushing visual fidelity and are known to create GOTY contenders.

And yes, Sony has dropped the ball, but its obvious when you look at their GaaS vs Single Player budgets. it was reduced in 2023 compared to 2019 and we are seeing a complete lack of first party games because they were simply all working on gaas trash that will likely never see the light of day.

Stop with this stupid argument. The near-universally agreed upon best looking games of last year, Alan Wake II, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, and Avatar, were all on Series S, and they bested PS5 exclusives like Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-man 2, and others.
How is having a lower baseline being a bottleneck a stupid argument? Cause insomniac shit the bed and SM2 looks worse than third party games? I don’t think so. I disagree. The games you named, think of what they could’ve pushed it they didn’t have to run on a console weaker than a One X in raw tflops.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
How is having a lower baseline being a bottleneck a stupid argument? Cause insomniac shit the bed and SM2 looks worse than third party games? I don’t think so. I disagree. The games you named, think of what they could’ve pushed it they didn’t have to run on a console weaker than a One X in raw tflops.

Over the history of gaming, the best looking games have historically been on PC, and those games had to be designed around a much larger breadth of hardware with a much lower threshold than the difference between a Series X and Series S.

The whole "Series S is holding back gaming" argument is nonsense.

Last edited:
Over the history of gaming, the best looking games have historically been on PC, and those games had to be designed around a much larger breadth of hardware with a much lower threshold than the difference between a Series X and Series S.

The whole "Series S is holding back gaming" argument is nonsense.
Dude you just kind of helped my argument. The best looking games on PC, maxed out with the highest settings, ie, on the most powerful hardware. Not with all the bells and whistles turned off on all lowest settings, ie, on the much weaker side in that “breadth of hardware” you mentioned

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Dude you just kind of helped my argument. The best looking games on PC, maxed out with the highest settings, ie, on the most powerful hardware. Not with all the bells and whistles turned off on all lowest settings, ie, on the much weaker side in that “breadth of hardware” you mentioned

What?

Obviously the Series S version will look bad compared to Series X, but it's not holding back the high-end version of the game. No different than how a low end PC game looks like ass but it's not holding back the high end PC version of a game.

Last edited:
What?

Obviously the Series S version will look bad compared to Series X, but it's not holding back the high-end version of the game. No different than how a low end PC game looks like ass but it's not holding back the high end PC version of a game.
I’m saying high end hardware = better visuals. Lower end hardware = worse. And for PC those aforementioned games WOULD look even better if they only had to code and program for one bespoke super high spec PC. I think we could agree on that?

Character model has been topped. Callisto, Alan Wake 2, and HB2 look better.

Asset quality hasnt been topped.

Lighting target has been met. AW2, Avatar, and in some very rare cases Robocop.

The flying speeds were matched if not exceeded by Spiderman 2.
The overall package and visual fidelity is still a Gen ahead of just about anything on the market in my opinion. Maybe cyberpunk and Alan wake 2 maxed out on a pc can kinda trade some blows but. Meh. Matrix demo is it’s only real competition.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The overall package and visual fidelity is still a Gen ahead of just about anything on the market in my opinion. Maybe cyberpunk and Alan wake 2 maxed out on a pc can kinda trade some blows but. Meh. Matrix demo is it’s only real competition.
Was playing TLOU2 (non-remaster) last night just to get a frame of reference and man the lighting in that game feels so dated at times. When its cloudy, its great. When its raining its beautiful. But then you go indoors and its lightingstarts to fall part, the world level of detail is so sparse (sometimes by design, sometimes not) and you realize just how good some of these modern games look compared to arguably the best looking game of last gen.

The point is that while lighting in that UE5 demo is a generation ahead of TLOU2, i really dont think its a generation ahead of other games ive played. Especially last year. especially stuff like callisto, AW2, Starfield and Avatar. I think overall you are right, no one game is doing every single thing that UE5 demo was doing in terms of pushing detail AND Lumen lighting AND fast traversal. However, in the game I mentioned, the lighting, character models and even asset quality in some instances are up there with the UE5 demo and the Matrix demo in that I look at it and I am thinking ok, I cant find any flaws in these games like I did in TLOU2 and even HFW and Cyberpunk. At times, these games pack in so much detail in their games that they make that UE5 demo look plain and basic in comparison.

VP9jqov.gif

F1m9ADO.gif

oTOj0r3.gif

And then there is Avatar which does have flaws in its plains area and draw distance while flying, but the forest in that game blew me away over and over again for almost 30 hours. Far more than that UE5 demo or the Matrix demo which ive also played for around 20 hours.

I think a five minute demo with like 5 small corridors is very easy to touch up compared to 50-100 hours games, but thats why I dont mind the 8 hour romps like Callisto and Hellblade 2 because they can polish the fuck out of every single room and corridor and get up there with the tech demos. The ships in starfield look insane because i bet thats where all of the dev time went.

Last edited:

DanielG165

And for PC those aforementioned games WOULD look even better if they only had to code and program for one bespoke super high spec PC.
Well, of course it would, in theory. But, that’s not in any way feasible nor financially viable, especially in this day and age. I think the main point being made here is that the Series S isn’t holding back visuals nor game development as much as people have been saying. Games are highly scalable, and that’s a good thing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Must be a selective bottleneck cause Hellblade looks pretty good.

As does Indy once you look at the direct feed pictures or the 4K trailer, not the compressed youtube shit.

Well, of course it would, in theory. But, that’s not in any way feasible nor financially viable, especially in this day and age. I think the main point being made here is that the Series S isn’t holding back visuals nor game development as much as people have been saying. Games are highly scalable, and that’s a good thing.
That’s completely wrong. Sony launched a single spec console in 2020 that’s breaking records and kicking Xbox’s ass for the last 4 years and running.

“Not feasible or financially viable in this day and age” doesn’t hold up

nicoGec

The pc version of those? Sure, but not the console versions tho. Alan wake 2 has worse image quality on quality mode than Spider-Man 2 on performance mode.

I am just looking at what is set to release this year and its just a bunch of last gen looking games like FF7, Dragon's Dogma, indy, Suicide Squad, Rise Of Ronin, MGS3 remake. Not going to be a great year for graphics whores for sure.

Hellblade 2 and Star Wars Outlaws will be the only next gen lookers releasing this year and lets face it, star wars is getting delayed. Silent Hill 3 and the next AC have the potential to impress, but neither has shown gameplay let alone a trailer in AC's case so not much to go off of. Still 4 games in the 4th year of the gen is not a good look.

I get that this gen has been (VERY) frustrating from a tech perspective, specially with the seeming lack of ambition from devs and the "looks good enough" mentality from most gamers. My point is, we have to wait and see because more games might be announced and released this year and even games that were already shown might surprise us in the end.

PS: Add Black Myth Wukong to your list of "next-gen" games this year.

PeteBull

We still never saw demo run on actual ps5, our ps5, like in case of matrix demo, so who knows what was actually real time, what could have dipped to 20fps or below, coz that final sequence in the UE5 demo looks more taxing than corridor ones ;D

We still never saw demo run on actual ps5, our ps5, like in case of matrix demo, so who knows what was actually real time, what could have dipped to 20fps or below, coz that final sequence in the UE5 demo looks more taxing than corridor ones ;D
Incorrect. It was running on PS5 in real time 1440p/30fps. They had playable booths ready for E3 2020 before Covid hit.

SlimySnake

It was realtime running on a PS5. They said the flying section was either pre-rendered or scripted. I cant recall exactly what they did with it but that part was not playable.

I think most people dont realize how small and corridorish that level was. Its just a bunch of caves. Even the big flying sequence is essentially one large corridor.

Wasn't the actual running over 30fps?
No it was 30 fps locked. They later said that the demo was further optimized after the latest UE5 optimizations and could run at 60 fps but we never got to see it. Right now, lumen games like Robocop, Lord of the Fallen, and Immortal have to drop below 1080p to maintain 60 fps.

you can bet that when the next big batch of UE5 games come out from CD project, Crystal Dynamics and 343i, they will run at 1440p 30 fps and 1080p 60 fps at best.

SlimySnake

The pc version of those? Sure, but not the console versions tho. Alan wake 2 has worse image quality on quality mode than Spider-Man 2 on performance mode.
Technically no. It has a higher resolution. Spiderman 2 drops to 1080p while AW2 is basically 1296p in quality mode. Roughly 40% more pixels. It's their FSR2 implementation that adds shimmering and jaggies to the game. Which makes me wonder if they shouldve just done what ND does and target 1440p 30 fps native. FSR2 itself has a hit on performance so if they can do 1296p with FSR then 1440p should be doable with some minor visual setting downgrades. And it wouldnt introduce those awful shimmering artifacts.

That said, i still see that shimmering even with DLSS at times. though its not as bad as it on consoles. I think its probably just some bug with their engine. I saw this with the DLSS mods in Starfield and turning off motion blur fixed it.

You can see it here on the pictures up on that board. They flicker even with DLSS on.

r9ZgYGl.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Technically no. It has a higher resolution. Spiderman 2 drops to 1080p while AW2 is basically 1296p in quality mode. Roughly 40% more pixels. It's their FSR2 implementation that adds shimmering and jaggies to the game. Which makes me wonder if they shouldve just done what ND does and target 1440p 30 fps native. FSR2 itself has a hit on performance so if they can do 1296p with FSR then 1440p should be doable with some minor visual setting downgrades. And it wouldnt introduce those awful shimmering artifacts.

That said, i still see that shimmering even with DLSS at times. though its not as bad as it on consoles. I think its probably just some bug with their engine. I saw this with the DLSS mods in Starfield and turning off motion blur fixed it.

You can see it here on the pictures up on that board. They flicker even with DLSS on.

r9ZgYGl.gif
There must be more to this, I swear AW2 got the worst image quality of any ps5 games I've played in quality mode.
If they replaced fsr2 with fsr1, it would be so much more stable I bet (for price of being more blurry)

SlimySnake

They definitely improved the in game character models in the remaster.

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-Remastered-20240119020525.jpg
Maybe its placebo or the native 4k effect but i noticed this too. I also think some ellie models look better than the rest. I have the Santa Barbara skin unlocked and her face is much more detailed than her character model in Seattle which feels like its missing some skin shaders or subsurface scattering on her face.

That’s completely wrong. Sony launched a single spec console in 2020 that’s breaking records and kicking Xbox’s ass for the last 4 years and running.

“Not feasible or financially viable in this day and age” doesn’t hold up
He's saying its not feasible to design PC games just for the 4090. There are like 1 million 4090s out there.

Yeah, I’m sorry, but I don’t personally see how Indiana Jones looks graphically sub par, especially having watched the trailer a third time today in 4K with YouTube’s compression on top. The game genuinely looks wonderful to me.
It's the color tones. You can see just how dull the game looks when they go to the Sphinx. The desert looks devoid of any color. It's supposed to look orange, not white. The Amazon jungle doesnt look green and thus looks a bit washed out. You can play Shadow of the Tomb Raider and compare it to Uncharted Lost Legacy, and immediately see how the jungles simply look better in uncharted because the colors are greener. Shadow Of Tomb Raider might actually have more foliage and denser jungles but because of that terrible UE3 quality brown filter, it just doesnt look as good. Ironically, the jungle in Avengers looks absolutely stunning because Crystal Dynamics changed the color filters to be more vibrant for the comic book game.

There are some good looking moments in the trailer and behind the scenes footage. When he's in London and climbing that blimp, the draw distance and lighting is stunning. But night time again looks a bit drab. The big interior scene with lots of different treasures just looks last gen. not bad, just not something you would expect from a next gen game from a first party studio.

Ive been very harsh on it, but as a game it sounds perfect and it could very well be my favorite game of the year, but the art style or rather the color choices and first person perspective are just bizarre art and design decisions.

Audiophile

I find 2.40:1 a little too much for a console game that'll be played mostly on a traditional displays under 55". It's fine for movies but imparts a sense of friction on an interactive medium. I wish they'd go for a middleground like 65mm's 2.20:1 or Grandeur's 2.10:1 if they're insistent on going cinematic and redirecting GPU power from pixel count to pixel quality.

shamoomoo

It was realtime running on a PS5. They said the flying section was either pre-rendered or scripted. I cant recall exactly what they did with it but that part was not playable.

I think most people dont realize how small and corridorish that level was. Its just a bunch of caves. Even the big flying sequence is essentially one large corridor.

No it was 30 fps locked. They later said that the demo was further optimized after the latest UE5 optimizations and could run at 60 fps but we never got to see it. Right now, lumen games like Robocop, Lord of the Fallen, and Immortal have to drop below 1080p to maintain 60 fps.

you can bet that when the next big batch of UE5 games come out from CD project, Crystal Dynamics and 343i, they will run at 1440p 30 fps and 1080p 60 fps at best.
I'm referring to the PS5 demo,it was supposedly 1440p upscale to 4K and cap at 30 but run up to 40 fps if I remember correctly.

Xtib81

LOD pop in on the other hand..

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I find 2.40:1 a little too much for a console game that'll be played mostly on a traditional displays under 55". It's fine for movies but imparts a sense of friction on an interactive medium. I wish they'd go for a middleground like 65mm's 2.20:1 or Grandeur's 2.10:1 if they're insistent on going cinematic and redirecting GPU power from pixel count to pixel quality.

I can't stand it. Why are we still having movies made in these ratios anyway? Are there even any cinemas still projecting film? Any one I've been to recently just has a 16:9 digital projector and uses black (or rather grey) bars rather than an actual wider image like we used to get. It's pointless and ugly.

SlimySnake

Black bars are not a problem on oled tvs in a dark room. You guys need to put your TVs in ur bedrooms or gaming rooms. Living rooms should have the cheapest shittiest TVs for your wife and kids.

Played death stranding in wide screen and the increased fov made it a spectacular experience. I wouldn’t want to play gow like that but slower games with an exploration focus are perfect for a wide screen perspective as long as the devs implement a wider fov like koji pro did.

SlimySnake

LOD pop in on the other hand..
Spiderman 2 has virtually no pop-in. its amazing.

JF7EsIt.gif

Avatar popin while flying its pretty bad but no pop-in whatsoever when you are on the ground despite pushing an insane amount of vegetation. Didnt notice much pop-in in Alan Wake 2 either. Whereas last gen a lot of games had assets and foliage being loaded right in front of you as you ran through a level. Especially in open world games.

AZ6eTG6.gif

PeteBull

Thats what im saying, from my gamer's pov the flying section looked way more demanding vs the early/corridor section and that was super impressive stuff, most of the demo was impressive but believable- except character model, it didnt look by any means special or good- it looked offputting to me personally, actually.
If we got that thing to play on our ps5s i wonder what fps it would run at? 30stable on corridor sections early on, maybe dips to 25 at some points and below 15 in flying section? ;D

And about devs saying something running live/30fps locked- i heard it so many times and usually when something looked too good it turned out devs lied, they lie all the fricken time, proof is we still cant run it on our ps5 like with matrix demo, hell they could even make it run as a whole like cinematic/cutscene running live on ps5 where we could measure the fps w/o actually us controlling the character, yet they didnt, thats huge tellsign it was all a lie- otherwise they would allow us to see run it actually on our ps5's like the matrix demo- it was shown on may 2020 so half a year before ps5 launch- another pointer that at least by that time it wasnt running well, not to mention 30fps stable on the console, i bet flying section couldnt even hold 20fps ;D

Just so ppl dont have to look it up- its still super impressive demo, even after we watched the matrix demo and all newest games, especially flying section screams dips to 15fps to me lol

I bet if they allowed us to run it demo on our home consoles now, over 3,5years after the reveal with all the imrpovements made to the code, we could trully see the slow downs and realise that back at the reveal in may 2020 it was simply pure marketing BS, not the features, not the look of it, just that its "running live on playstation 5". Remember the vid holds stable 1440p30, no dynamic res, no upscaling lol =P

Another edit: the valley of the ancients demo running in 1440p on 4090, which is at least 3x stronger from 2080(that is stronger from ps5 in every scenario), and even when nothing is going on and u just jogging fps dips to low 70s, now imagine if it was flying sequence on 4090, it wouldnt even hold 30 on 4090 grade gpu ;D

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Still playing through Wolfenstein II and honestly I'm super impressed with it. I'm hoping the Indy reveal was of an older build or something because I do think Machinegames has the chops to make something beautiful:

53478429471_128d8ef40b_o.png

53478573253_d5f4b27be6_o.png

SlimySnake

This game is made by 2 guys under the drinking age.

GIF3.gif

GIF2.gif

GIF4.gif

Meanwhile, industry leading studios with hundreds of developers, five year development cycles and hundreds of million dollar budgets.

mKHaTlz.jpg
Wt4vVgd.jpg
vooUqlT.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Alan Wake 2 has probably the best lighting ive ever seen in a game. This is with RT off. Native 4k 30 fps. mix of High settings with some set to low/medium.

0wPV7Zv.gif

PYBf6MF.gif

NwCvHd9.gif
Yup. Looks absolutely beautiful.

PYBf6MF.gif

THIS however is my biggest gripe with the game. When you move the camera around the player to see their in game facial model, the character keeps turning away from the camera. Making it impossible to see the front of them :|

SlimySnake

Yup. Looks absolutely beautiful.

PYBf6MF.gif

THIS however is my biggest gripe with the game. When you move the camera around the player to see their in game facial model, the character keeps turning away from the camera. Making it impossible to see the front of them :|
I was able to glitch it in a couple of indoor talking scenes. It’s so weird that they did this. I have no idea why. Character faces especially Alan wake’s character model looks fantastic.

CGNoire

Got new PC up and running. A 13900k+4090 so been maxing out everything.

My thoughts so far....

CP2077 OD =
The most incredible lighting Ive seen period. Holy shit I was not prepared for this native on big screen right in front of me. In particularly the attention to shader nuance CDR put time in on really pays off here with the way it interacts with the pathtraced lighting. Just unmatched. If the NPCs could just get an upgrade to the level of main characters this game would be near perfect for the time being.

AWII =
The opening with the guy crawling out of the lake had me for a breif moment thinking it was Live action. Super smart the way Remedy juxstaposes live action moments flicking on screen with in game elements "inviteing" our brain to superimpose the extra details and micro animations onto your character here and there. Im not quite as impressed by AWII as alot of people here. It just still looks too often gamey to me. Something about the lack of SSS and what I feel is some lackluster shaders on the characters. Infact I dont agree with the notion there characters (outside of stairing at the backs during gameplay) look too hot. I think they sometimes look worse the QB and Control characters. The super High quality facial exspressions during actual gameplay is much appreciated and should be mandatory in all AAA games by now. I think the main reason people see this as being as realistic looking as they do has a whole lot to do with Remedy Filmic color grading "matching" our Fincher cinematic frame expectations. Just like the CA, Film Grain, and shaky cam from Unrecord.

Robocop =
Alex's model often looks photoreal. Almost every other character looks like dogshit and there animations are clear as day still placeholders and both look far worse than they did in Terminator Resistence....what gives? I think most of the enviroments including the Interiors look great even if sometimes a little PS4 quality. The outdoor areas with Nanite speak for themselves and look fantastic. The game while not even close to as fun as I was mislead into believing does represent a good template for modding in your own Cyberpunk Game (Next Gen Perfect Dark ect...) hope someone considers this. Shit grab an Uzi and just mute Robo's walking sound and your 99% there.

Sw Jedi Survivor =
Honestly even though the assets still look lacking, the art style change seems cartoonier than before, and enviroments at least in Coruscant are too blocky I was pleasently suprised at how much better it looks than Fallen Order. I know alot of that has to do with the fact that FO had a clearly gutted budget at times and this seems more polished by far but everthing fromt the ground textures to the lighting seem super cranked up. Not to the level you would expect from a generational leap but a whole lot better than YT could possibpe represent. The lighting inparticular seems to be way improved with Kal looking great pretty much 100% of the time. If they just implement Nanite fully with VSM and upgrade there character rendering and art style a little the sequel can be a true graphics contender. Very pleasently suprised indeed.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

What?

why are u arguing with him , hes an idiot that doesnt understand how things work

You've missed the point. The point is you can still get amazing looking PC games, despite much lower power consoles. So consoles aren't holding the PC back. What holding PC's back compared to the older days is the cost of the High-end 3D cards and the fact that even PC games cost so much to make you can no longer have the days when PC developers didn't care or worry about console versions, if they made a console version at all

In the 1990's you had E3 with a separate section for PC games and publishers who were only working on the PC game and couldn't give a toss about a console version, unless another publisher looked to pick up a console version and have a different team handle the port

Darius87

Thats what im saying, from my gamer's pov the flying section looked way more demanding vs the early/corridor section and that was super impressive stuff, most of the demo was impressive but believable- except character model, it didnt look by any means special or good- it looked offputting to me personally, actually.
If we got that thing to play on our ps5s i wonder what fps it would run at? 30stable on corridor sections early on, maybe dips to 25 at some points and below 15 in flying section? ;D

And about devs saying something running live/30fps locked- i heard it so many times and usually when something looked too good it turned out devs lied, they lie all the fricken time, proof is we still cant run it on our ps5 like with matrix demo, hell they could even make it run as a whole like cinematic/cutscene running live on ps5 where we could measure the fps w/o actually us controlling the character, yet they didnt, thats huge tellsign it was all a lie- otherwise they would allow us to see run it actually on our ps5's like the matrix demo- it was shown on may 2020 so half a year before ps5 launch- another pointer that at least by that time it wasnt running well, not to mention 30fps stable on the console, i bet flying section couldnt even hold 20fps ;D

Just so ppl dont have to look it up- its still super impressive demo, even after we watched the matrix demo and all newest games, especially flying section screams dips to 15fps to me lol

I bet if they allowed us to run it demo on our home consoles now, over 3,5years after the reveal with all the imrpovements made to the code, we could trully see the slow downs and realise that back at the reveal in may 2020 it was simply pure marketing BS, not the features, not the look of it, just that its "running live on playstation 5". Remember the vid holds stable 1440p30, no dynamic res, no upscaling lol =P

Another edit: the valley of the ancients demo running in 1440p on 4090, which is at least 3x stronger from 2080(that is stronger from ps5 in every scenario), and even when nothing is going on and u just jogging fps dips to low 70s, now imagine if it was flying sequence on 4090, it wouldnt even hold 30 on 4090 grade gpu ;D
we all saw demo running on PS5 dev-kit, that was stable no dips bellow 30 fps that indicates that demo could run above 30 fps if unlocked, and it was around 1440p the flying section was all real-time except you can't control character because devs hasn't enough time to code what's happens if you fly outside of level area or crash somewhere, i really don't know why you think PS5 couldn't run same as it was on dev-kit, they are same spec.

Top Bottom