• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

JCreasy

Yeah I'm not sure what you're seeing exactly. it looks ok but nothing spectacular. Anyways, I'm pretty sure the game is being developed on UE4, i.e. no Lumen or Nanite.
It’s UE5

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Games with 40fps option work in the 120Hz mode. The VRR range is from 48 to 120Hz.

Yeah man, I get that, it's just that, again, how are we supposed to know if a game supports VRR ? For example, Alan Wake 2 isn't supported but it frequently dips below 60fps on performance mode, should I have VRR enabled either way (and also tick the unsupported game option) or should I disable it ? shouldn't both the TV (C2) and the PS5 smooth out the unstable framerate ?

Another example would be RE4Re, the game - apparently - supports VRR and yet it's not mentioned anywhere else besides some VRR enabled/supported lists on the internet, so, again, how are we supposed to know whether we should leave the VRR option/setting enabled in the system settings (and also the one for unsupported games) ?

PS : I myself have noticed that when you have VRR enabled on the TV + PS5, games (30fps PS4 ones specifically) tend to have EVEN MORE judder /stutter compared to when you have the setting turned off which, on an OLED is a big no-no.

Cheers

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah well just a couple days ago you couldn't even see the difference in quality in rebirths models from the low poly rebirth ones so that means about as much as that other guys partner saying things can't better. :messenger_winking:
Well, its hard when the game goes from looking like this in cutscenes to this during gameplay.

Saw this hilarious meme in the other thread and its completely accurate. Im sorry but this is worse than Craig from halo infinite.

GH3-J8-WMAATVbf

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah man, I get that, it's just that, again, how are we supposed to know if a game supports VRR ? For example, Alan Wake 2 isn't supported but it frequently dips below 60fps on performance mode, should I have VRR enabled either way (and also tick the unsupported game option) or should I disable it ? shouldn't both the TV (C2) and the PS5 smooth out the unstable framerate ?

Another example would be RE4Re, the game - apparently - supports VRR and yet it's not mentioned anywhere else besides some VRR enabled/supported lists on the internet, so, again, how are we supposed to know whether we should leave the VRR option/setting enabled in the system settings (and also the one for unsupported games) ?

PS : I myself have noticed that when you have VRR enabled on the TV + PS5, games (30fps PS4 ones specifically) tend to have EVEN MORE judder /stutter compared to when you have the setting turned off which, on an OLED is a big no-no.

Cheers
Almost all games released after sony added vrr support should support vrr last year or was it the year before? The ones released before that need to be patched in and most were not.

Always keep the vrr setting on. Same goes for the vrr setting for unsupported games. No need to turn it off.

The only time i would turn it off is if you are trying to cap your framerate to say 40 or 30 fps. I have also noticed the judder in 40+ fps games like ragnorak so i just turn it off and play the game at 40 fps locked.

I had vrr turned off because i play on my ps portal from time to time and it causes issues with that. Thats probably why i didnt have any issues adjusting to FF7's 30 fps. But then again, i played Callisto and FF7 with vrr turned on at 30 fps and didnt see any issues. Id say only turn it off in rare cases like this. otherwise leave it on.

Saw this hilarious meme in the other thread and its completely accurate. Im sorry but this is worse than Craig from halo infinite.

GH3-J8-WMAATVbf
Are we 100 percent sure this cutscenes isn't pre-rendered? I remember DF did mention that some cutscenes were indeed not real time.

It's nearly unfathomable otherwise.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Well, its hard when the game goes from looking like this in cutscenes to this during gameplay.

GH3-J8-WMAATVbf

Confusing lighting quality and model quality...
Amateurs.

I had vrr turned off because i play on my ps portal from time to time and it causes issues with that. Thats probably why i didnt have any issues adjusting to FF7's 30 fps. But then again, i played Callisto and FF7 with vrr turned on at 30 fps and didnt see any issues. Id say only turn it off in rare cases like this. otherwise leave it on.

No, turn it off for FF7 if yo are doing 30fps it adds nothing, There is a chance it only affects some TV's but it's certainly worth checking.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Are we 100 percent sure this cutscenes isn't pre-rendered? I remember DF did mention that some cutscenes were indeed not real time.
It's nearly unfathomable otherwise.

It's a simple case of good lighting vs bad lighting, it's been happening for a solid decade. the better your game looks the bigger the gap is when you are in a spot where they had to turn off shadows/ao.

It's a failure ofcourse, but it happens to pretty much every non raytraced game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Confusing lighting quality and model quality...
Amateurs.

No, turn it off for FF7 if yo are doing 30fps it adds nothing, There is a chance it only affects some TV's but it's certainly worth checking.
Lighting? Dude the entire model looks like a ps2 quality character model. They are using lower lod character models in some scenes. You have to be blind not to see it. Insane.

SlimySnake

Technical issues aside, how is FF7 rebirth? I see people in the OT saying it’s GOTY caliber.
I don’t get the praise but I’m not the target audience. This game plays on nostalgia and i never played the original. I find the open world more bland than Ubisoft games. The story missions are ok but there is way too much goofiness for my taste. Everyone acts like a child high on sugar after their bed time. The combat just isn’t as fun because the enemies are too aggressive or are flying half the time. I loved the combat in the 2020 remake but this feels off. The mini games are trash and i just spent 2 hours playing a card game that they forced on me for the story.

I don’t think the game is for me. I don’t have the patience for these mini games, the childish characters and the Ubisoft open world. It’s weird because just 4 years ago i fell in love with these characters and the combat but this time around i dislike everything about it.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

I don’t get the praise but I’m not the target audience. This game plays on nostalgia and i never played the original. I find the open world more bland than Ubisoft games. The story missions are ok but there is way too much goofiness for my taste. Everyone acts like a child high on sugar after their bed time. The combat just isn’t as fun because the enemies are too aggressive or are flying half the time. I loved the combat in the 2020 remake but this feels off. The mini games are trash and i just spent 2 hours playing a card game that they forced on me for the story.

I don’t think the game is for me. I don’t have the patience for these mini games, the childish characters and the Ubisoft open world. It’s weird because just 4 years ago i fell in love with these characters and the combat but this time around i dislike everything about it.

Sounds like it’s not really for me either, seeing as I didn’t play the original. 16 is the only FF I’ve played, which was an absolute slog at times.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I never played original either. Only remake.
I remember seeing ads for original as a kid but that’s it.
I find the combat easier than the remake but it’s my fault as I played remake like hack and slash.
I am loving this game so much. My goty for sure. The characters, graphics and anime craziness are waking me up from being an old man lol

Bojji

Games with 40fps option work in the 120Hz mode. The VRR range is from 48 to 120Hz.

We had games with 40fps modes before vrr update, only thing needed is 120hz output. Vrr adds more options to that.

Cheers

Every PS5 game that drops below 60fps benefits from vrr, you just need to force it in settings. Elden ring is like night and day with vrr and it was released before vrr update. There are few games that don't support vrr but tv will tell you that vrr is off, like genshin impact and returnal.

Final fantasy vii rebirth is doing something that no other ue4 game managed to do, it has NO traversal stutters or any stuttering at all! I have a feeling that maybe they kept themselves with low res texture budget to avoid typical ue4 issues with streaming and stuff.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Lighting?

During gameplay, "the entire model" has more geometry, better textures and better shaders than the remake ever did, even during its highest quality cutscenes.
Just by moving some lights around you can easily bring a model from looking like this.

cloud-bmp-jpgcopy-3840x2160-0573c864d374.jpg

To this

image.png

to this
image.png

image.png

with the exact same model
Lighting is everything
You could make the first pics a lot better by using shadows to give the impression of more detail or make the other pics much worse.
But hopefully this makes it clear that the issue here is first and foremost the lighting.

You have to be blind not to see it. Insane.

Technical issues aside, how is FF7 rebirth? I see people in the OT saying it’s GOTY caliber.

I'd say it is easily goty, but it's totally dependent on if you like the gameplay the characters and the humor.

If you don't like anime then it's likely not for you, the combat I'd say is easily the best example of an action rpg system out there. But if you can't handle fast paced hectic action ala dmc then you really wont stand a chance, personally I think it's a bit too easy and should be faster and more unpredictable.

Will say I did think 16 was extremely lackluster.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I have no idea how days gone, a bigger game, with a smaller budget and a smaller team managed to have correct face shadowing ingame but fucking square can't on a ps5...

daysgone_20190429015387kw9.png

daysgone_201904290355vjkwt.png

Probably by being smaller in scope even if the world may be physically assets, GPU's work best when they are rendering a huge amount of the same thing. So they design their world around large landscapes full of assets that repeat more frequently than what you get in Rebirth that is filled with a far larger variety of assets which is both harder on the GPU and takes more manpower to create. The realistic post apocalyptic setting means they can instead of big exploreable unique towns in the background they can just have a bunch of mountains and some small empty town with a gas station.

This of course extends to the horde that is a huge amount of near identical enemies making them again, easier to develop and render and allows them to dedicate more of the hardware to rendering shadows especially on their single main character who doesn't have 6 other unique characters and 7 chocobo following him at all times.

Personally I want both, I Like FF7s variety an uniquely designed locations but it's also fun to just drive down a repetitive but long virtual road

Personally I just wish Square would offer a mode that let me go down to performance modes resolutions but with better AO and shadows so it could atleast look like this more often

Final-Fantasy-VII-Rebirth-Screenshot-112.webp

I mean uhhh, Square forgot to download more ram.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Probably by being smaller in scope even if the world may be physically assets, GPU's work best when they are rendering a huge amount of the same thing. So they design their world around large landscapes full of assets that repeat more frequently than what you get in Rebirth that is filled with a far larger variety of assets which is both harder on the GPU and takes more manpower to create. The realistic post apocalyptic setting means they can instead of big exploreable unique towns in the background they can just have a bunch of mountains and some small empty town with a gas station.

This of course extends to the horde that is a huge amount of near identical enemies making them again, easier to develop and render and allows them to dedicate more of the hardware to rendering shadows especially on their single main character who doesn't have 6 other unique characters and 7 chocobo following him at all times.

Personally I want both, I Like FF7s variety an uniquely designed locations but it's also fun to just drive down a repetitive but long virtual road

Personally I just wish Square would offer a mode that let me go down to performance modes resolutions but with better AO and shadows so it could atleast look like this more often

I mean uhhh, Square forgot to download more ram.
There is more asset variety than last gen games but when assets look worse than most last gen games then is it really that impressive?

I was in a ship playing fucking card games for 2 hours and while there were lots of NPCs and lots of different objects that were not in a game like Days Gone, but the lighting, material quality, asset quality and modeling quality is basic so its not like its cloud's character model thats lacking. The entire picture is lacking. And Im talking about story levels here, not even the open world. FF16 did the story levels justice while phoning in the side content. Not seeing that here. This legit looks like one of the worst looking games ive played in the last few years. I dont play many bad looking games, and mostly stick to AAA games so thats a bit of an unfair comparison, but this is an AAA game and it looks mid even by last gen standards.

Lethal01

There is more asset variety than last gen games but when assets look worse than most last gen games then is it really that impressive?

Yes. Being technically impressive and looking appealing are two extremely separate things.

The question was how a smaller team could do have better lighting quality with less people, and a big part of the answer is that it was easier to do due to being a smaller game. Yes making 20 last gen assets is far more work than make 2 more advanced ones that you copy and paste everywhere and also would be harder to render, so them being able to do that can indeed be more technically impressive.

Point here not being about which one is more impressive, but rather that nobody here could really eyeball it and claim to know.

Starfields procedural planets may actually be extremely technically impressive under the hood and could take far more talent to do than the interior that you actually want to look at.

Last edited:
People have said this since ps3 generation, it means nothing.

Yeah well just a couple days ago you couldn't even see the difference in quality in rebirths models from the low poly rebirth ones so that means about as much as that other guys partner saying things can't better. :messenger_winking:

A game like Horizon and probably avatar are fine examples, but the scale of everything else you mentioned just it silly to compare compare to the other. Not only the scale of the world but the scope of the project and its gameplay and graphical features in general make FF7 a much more ambitious project than something like Alan wake, that games enemy variety is just abysmal.

FF7R has ugly, glaring issues but there were many good reasons for large scale AAA games to not just immediately switch over to UE5 mid development, the freedom to attempt to do so is definitely a perk of those smaller games from smaller devs. Those "build an open world in 2 hours" videos are good for making portfolios and learning the tools but making an actual open world for an actual game with gameplay and graphical constraints is a completey different scenario.

The FF7 devs fucked up in a lot of ways, But sticking to UE4 was likely a good call. Unless you look at it from the perspective that maybe the issues it caused could force them to delay the game for a year or 2. But a consistent release schedule is not a negative.

Get back to eating crow.
Hellblade 2 and the car scenes in the matrix opening definitely look close to pre-rendered imo. Better than a lot of older cg at least

SlimySnake

Yes. Being technically impressive and looking appealing are two extremely separate things.

The question was how a smaller team could do have better lighting quality with less people, and a big part of the answer is that it was easier to do due to being a smaller game. Yes making 20 last gen assets is far more work than make 2 more advanced ones that you copy and paste everywhere and also would be harder to render, so them being able to do that can indeed be more technically impressive.

Point here not being about which one is more impressive, but rather that nobody here could really eyeball it and claim to know.

Starfields procedural planets may actually be extremely technically impressive under the hood and could take far more talent to do than the interior that you actually want to look at.
But when Spiderman 2 did the same thing and took shortcuts when it came to reusing PS4 quality buildings, we called it for what it was, laziness.

I honestly dont want to eye ball anything or figure out why the game looks like an early gen PS4 game. At the end of the day thats what it looks like. I can appreciate the work that went into creating a lot of these very detailed areas, but again, the fidelity is so poor even by PS4 standards that I cant excuse it like i could for FF16, Spiderman 2 and even Star wars. Spiderman 2 looks cross gen with some very impressive NPC and traffic density but its also Ia really good looking cross gen game. I simply cant say the same for FF7 rebirth.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Jesus can you imagine the bend team that did DG with ND budget and manpower?

We are never gonna see that if what slimy told me is true (talent bleeding).

A game people are saying things like "prettiest open world game I've ever played" and that it looks so impressive "my eyes couldn't believe what they were seeing" Vs last years graphics whipping boy.

Not saying Starfield looks great as it clearly looks really dated in many ways but Japanese devs are really judged by different standards online.

Crates:
jMXWkKW.png

c8PAegb.png

Tools:
tsJypGr.jpeg

BV0zWA6.jpeg

I guess the tissues are pretty similar quality here:
lXXZ2Ye.png

DyiM5kC.jpg

Random clutter:
CUFn8Fa.jpg
NXNXYUL.png

Papers on a desk:
W7iu4cP.png

6I2slfS.jpg

Check out the cups:
5UZrK95.jpg

nRNMOsP.jpg

I said in the other thread that I just don't see the point in filling the world with such low quality clutter. Better to use fewer assets and spam them around sensibly imo as even though the lighting on the characters can make them look weird at times they are clearly high quality even in gameplay and can look like they have been dropped into a PS2 game at times next to some of the backgrounds.

SlimySnake

I said in the other thread that I just don't see the point in filling the world with such low quality clutter. Better to use fewer assets and spam them around sensibly imo
Exactly. So many of the game's assets arent even PS4 quality. this is really really dated stuff. Some of the most pathetic low level modeling ive seen in well over a decade. I dont want to say the assets are PS3 quality but they sure doesnt feel PS4 caliber to me. The textures and models are piss poor even by early gen standards.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
A game people are saying things like "prettiest open world game I've ever played" and that it looks so impressive "my eyes couldn't believe what they were seeing" Vs last years graphics whipping boy.

Not saying Starfield looks great as it clearly looks really dated in many ways but Japanese devs are really judged by different standards online.

Crates:
jMXWkKW.png

c8PAegb.png

Tools:
tsJypGr.jpeg

BV0zWA6.jpeg

I guess the tissues are pretty similar quality here:
lXXZ2Ye.png

DyiM5kC.jpg

Random clutter:
CUFn8Fa.jpg
NXNXYUL.png

Papers on a desk:
W7iu4cP.png

6I2slfS.jpg

Check out the cups:
5UZrK95.jpg

nRNMOsP.jpg

I said in the other thread that I just don't see the point in filling the world with such low quality clutter. Better to use fewer assets and spam them around sensibly imo as even though the lighting on the characters can make them look weird at times they are clearly high quality even in gameplay and can look like they have been dropped into a PS2 game at times next to some of the backgrounds.

Starfield quite often looks jaw dropping. It's childish console-warring fanboyism that caused so many to have "issues" with it's visuals.

Y’all . . . will it run like this on consoles? If we see this on PS5, could be a watershed moment this gen.

It look like Nanite and Lumen are in full use here. Has anyone heard different?

Insanely dense geometry. Particle effects are simply stunning.

Also, this is the fidelity I wanted from Rebirth. Hope we get there by the third installment.

That tiger fur is amazing. The best in-game fur I’ve ever seen. An industry best. Fight me.

Incredible. Embarrasses all developers/publishers this gen honestly

Y’all . . . will it run like this on consoles? If we see this on PS5, could be a watershed moment this gen.

It look like Nanite and Lumen are in full use here. Has anyone heard different?

Insanely dense geometry. Particle effects are simply stunning.

Also, this is the fidelity I wanted from Rebirth. Hope we get there by the third installment.

That tiger fur is amazing. The best in-game fur I’ve ever seen. An industry best. Fight me.

Awesome. Also love the boss design @7:40.

Lethal01

Better to use fewer assets and spam them around sensibly imo as even though the lighting on the characters can make them look weird at times they are clearly high quality even in gameplay and can look like they have been dropped into a PS2 game at times next to some of the backgrounds.

Totally disagree here, I think that having an extremely varied, cluttered world looks much better than having a high fidelity world that's more repetitive.
But this can't be described as anything but a matter of taste and you did say it's just your opinion, I'm happy the devs didnt share it.

Also just to be clear, I'm not saying that FF7R is at all showing the best it could be, I expect much better results when engine is switched and they have a better Lod management system and lighting system, and even without changing engine I feel like I can say that at the absolute minimum the shadow quality and assets could have been improved with just some extra dev time.

But if I accept your hypothetical and were forced to choose between what the game is and what you propose I am forced to say that the devs absolutely made the right call I would never sacrifice asset variety for more fidelity..

Starfield quite often looks jaw dropping. It's childish console-warring fanboyism that caused so many to have "issues" with it's visuals.

Yeah, I've never had any real issue with with starfield overall I just thought it was "okay" but people were hyping it = as the game that will usher in true next gen graphics the likes of which we had never seen, and it was just the same as everything else.

But when Spiderman 2 did the same thing and took shortcuts when it came to reusing PS4 quality buildings, we called it for what it was, laziness.
Who's we? I make fun of Spiderman 2 not cause I think it's some massive failure due to lazy devs, but because again because of people that tried to hype it up as the beginning of a new age of something that blows everything away and shows that all the other devs are just idiots who can't use the systems true power... When again it's around the same quality as other games in this budget range

I honestly don't want to eye ball anything or figure out why the game looks like an early gen PS4 game

That's great, but if you aren't interested and want to brag about the fact you don't know and don't care about why games look how they do, then you will understand that sound like a kid when you then try to make claims about how good specific games should look, how there is no excuse and how the only possible explanation is a bunch of lazy untalented devs.

And you only look worse when you claim an issue is one thing "model quality" and insult others as they prove to you the actual issue is the lighting. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

And you only look worse when you claim an issue is one thing "model quality" and insult others as they prove to you the actual issue is the lighting. :messenger_winking:
Where did i insult you? Sounds like you are projecting here because for the past few days you are the one who has been taking pot shots at me while i completely ignored and sidestepped each insult, lol reaction, and constantly being told i dont know what i am talking about. including in this very post.

You have been trashing Chiefdada mocking him every time he drops by this thread for the same thing you are doing now. I.e., defending the indefensible. I dont think you get to lecture me about insulting anyone.

Ive taken the high road several times with you but i only have so much patience. next time i wont be so nice.

Lethal01

Ive taken the high road several times with you but i only have so much patience. next time i wont be so nice.

I'm horrified, truly. Feel free to say what you want to say, I could use a chuckle.

Lighting? Dude the entire model looks like a ps2 quality character model. They are using lower lod character models in some scenes. You have to be blind not to see it. Insane.

Again, I keep saying you don't know what you are talking about since you keep making it so obvious. and pretty much brag about you own ignorance.
We agree the result looks terrible, you just don't know or care why.

An aside, I poke fun at Dada because of just how much he hyped up Spiderman 2, again, claiming it was better than anything else and put other devs to shame and look better than it's own prerendered CGI. I totally agree with him that it it looks great overall and is very impressive, nothing indefensible about it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Represent. Represent. Neil was on a podcast yesterday and said that the new game is very hard to make because it’s so ambitious. This bodes well for a game that pushes boundaries. If ND is struggling to achieve their vision on a next Gen console, I’m sure they are not going to settle for native 4k or waste half the gpu chasing 60 fps at high resolutions.

Only problem is that they still seem early in dev despite last shipping a full game 4 years ago. It does seem like they wasted a lot of time on factions and that awful remake. Probably a 2028 game like horizon.

Robocop looks insane maxed out at 4k. The environment detail and lighting in the second map level with the bikers is legit.

ND does HDR better than anyone though, UC4 and lou1 on pc have perfect colors.

Hoping HFW is not bugged out the ass like it was in Ps5 launch. It took them months to fix perf mode.

Represent. Represent. Neil was on a podcast yesterday and said that the new game is very hard to make because it’s so ambitious. This bodes well for a game that pushes boundaries. If ND is struggling to achieve their vision on a next Gen console, I’m sure they are not going to settle for native 4k or waste half the gpu chasing 60 fps at high resolutions.

Only problem is that they still seem early in dev despite last shipping a full game 4 years ago. It does seem like they wasted a lot of time on factions and that awful remake. Probably a 2028 game like horizon.
If it's a new IP, the majority of development time on new IPs is in pre-production with an extremely small team where you don't need all the studio on it. Having peoples working on other things it's not really wasted time because at this stage you just don't need them. Of course a Remake and a canceled project are not the best thing to spend this time. Ideally Naughty Dog should have had another small team working on a SP game in parallel and which would have entered into full production after Part 2 but this project was Faction.

Nowaday making a new IP and release it can take you seven years. What will be interesting to know is when the game entered in full production because most games spend around 2 years in full production. Some a bit more, some a bit less.

Covid was also the worst possible time to launch the pre-production of a new project.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Robocop looks insane maxed out at 4k. The environment detail and lighting in the second map level with the bikers is legit.

ND does HDR better than anyone though, UC4 and lou1 on pc have perfect colors.

Hoping HFW is not bugged out the ass like it was in Ps5 launch. It took them months to fix perf mode.

Robocop is one game that did not impress me one bit. I liked pretty much every uneven and inconsistent game last year from Starfield to FF16 and even Star Wars, but the more i played of robocop the less impressive it felt. The lighting felt baked in most scenes even though i know it uses Lumen. That DF video shows light bounce and proper AO and blah blah blah. I didnt find any of it impressive. The game is rare in that it actually looks better in youtube videos than it does on my big screen where all of its flaws become apparent.

I forced myself to play around 4-5 missions and havent gotten to that cloudy rainy part so mostly the night time shots, but the interiors and night time rendering just felt flat. Oh and the game is straight up broken on my PC. Reflections have this bizarre flashing effect so every car window and puddle constantly flashes like fireworks. The stuttering is awful. Worse than star wars even. At least i was able to cap star wars to 40 and get rid of the stutters. here even at 30 fps, the stutters are constant.

See this is all you needed to say to show you have no idea what you are talking about, nothing is coming close to pre-rendered CGI.
Reminds me of when Chiefda tried to claim Spiderman 2 was gonna easily get close to its prerendered trailer, something no PS5 game has done, or will do.
There are different levels of CGI and you can’t tell me The Matrix Awakens demo vs Realtime demo I posted isn’t life like.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Oh yes, I made a thread about it - Got me hyped as hell.
One of the few tudios left with real true ambition.
Whatever it is its by far my mot anticipated game, even more so than GTA6

GooseMan69

Redditors are so out of the loop on frame rate lol. They seem completely unaware of the very real possibility that many AAA games will be 30 fps as we head toward the back half of this gen. Including heavy hitters like GTA 6 and whatever ND is working on. They’re really still on the “60 fps or no buy” lol. Have fun not playing any new games until PS6.

Circlejerking morons.

CGNoire

Robocop is one game that did not impress me one bit. I liked pretty much every uneven and inconsistent game last year from Starfield to FF16 and even Star Wars, but the more i played of robocop the less impressive it felt. The lighting felt baked in most scenes even though i know it uses Lumen. That DF video shows light bounce and proper AO and blah blah blah. I didnt find any of it impressive. The game is rare in that it actually looks better in youtube videos than it does on my big screen where all of its flaws become apparent.

I forced myself to play around 4-5 missions and havent gotten to that cloudy rainy part so mostly the night time shots, but the interiors and night time rendering just felt flat. Oh and the game is straight up broken on my PC. Reflections have this bizarre flashing effect so every car window and puddle constantly flashes like fireworks. The stuttering is awful. Worse than star wars even. At least i was able to cap star wars to 40 and get rid of the stutters. here even at 30 fps, the stutters are constant.
Played it on pc had none of these issues. Envir looked insane. Especially the 2nd open city area.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Haven't watched yet, your thoughts?

edit: nevermind, video quality is lower than the porns i was downloading 20 years ago with shazam...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Redditors are so out of the loop on frame rate lol. They seem completely unaware of the very real possibility that many AAA games will be 30 fps as we head toward the back half of this gen. Including heavy hitters like GTA 6 and whatever ND is working on. They’re really still on the “60 fps or no buy” lol. Have fun not playing any new games until PS6.

Circlejerking morons.
Its not just redditors, its gamers in general. You see the same people feign shock over Sony saying we are half way through the gen because to them, the gen has just started. They complain about lack of true next gen games but ignore all the 60 fps stuff they got in the first half of the gen. not realizing that they were 60 fps precisely because they werent ambitious enough.

now we are seeing big backlashes over Starfield and Dragons Dogma being 30 fps. Again, not realizing you cant have both. Somethings gotta give.

Devs bending over backwards and releasing 720p 60 fps modes with some dropping below 650p are to blame for this fiasco. Just come out and say hey our game is CPU heavy and this is why. You either get all this AI driven simulation or you get the same last gen trash you've been playing since 2005. Thats the cost of 60 fps. But nope, they went down to 1080p for 60 fps then kept going to PS3 era resolutions then dropped some more. When you compromise on your standards once, you continue doing it. Had Alan Wake, Avatar, Star Wars released with 30 fps modes last year, this would not be a story. Starfield would not be the sole exception, and gamers would understand. Instead, they all went to 720p or below with shittier visuals just because they didnt want the backlash.

Top Bottom