• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good lord.

zS2HLNT.gif

fRLu57J.gif

Ignore the shimmering. its added by gif compression to reduce gif sizes. Game looked pristine. ran at 20 fps though lol

Last edited:

Xtib81

New Assassins Creed platforming video shows off some fancy visuals. Love to see those trees moving in the wind and while im not a fan of fog masking the draw distance in Horizon FW, its fairly high quality here.

Go to twitter to see the higher quality version. Twitter reduces resolution in the embedded feeds.

It's good to see improvement in animations compared to Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla but man it still feels a bit off compared to AC Unity. Slightly smoother than Unity but a bit floaty at the same time. Unity's grappling was limited to certain points in the map, but felt much snappier in general.

Animations looked better in Unity, 10 years ago. That's embarassing at this point.
They seems to have significantly improved vegetation rendering though, I'd be interested to see more.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Animations looked better in Unity, 10 years ago. That's embarassing at this point.
They seems to have significantly improved vegetation rendering though, I'd be interested to see more.
Its the odyssey/syndicate team. not the best AC team.

The Unity team has not made a game since Unity. They are basically a support studio now.

In an interview with gamesindustry.biz, they said they began working on this game in 2020 after Valhalla. But they had already released Odyssey in 2018 so they must have spent the next two years helping finish valhalla. What I dont understand is why they couldnt have had a team just work on porting over the motion matching tech from For Honor for those 2 years while the main team helped with Valhalla.

Basically they had time, but just chose not to put too much work into the animation system and now they are getting blasted on twitter where this was originally posted.

SlimySnake

I am not seeing a massive generational difference here but this is one of my favorite games of the generation so i might pick this up.

SlimySnake

Dragon Age's protagonist is customizable. Bioware posted these two character models.

I will go with FemShep for the hair physics alone.

GU9SKnzXEAAQHUd

GU9SKnJXEAAjvXR

SlimySnake

Ok, it looks like Until Dawn has ray tracing, uses UE5 and has a third person over the shoulder camera.

Overhauled visuals rebuilt in Unreal Engine 5​

Our new Until Dawn experience has been built from the ground up using Unreal Engine 5. We have updated character models, environments, interactable props, visual effects, and animations, all designed to maximize the Until Dawn experience on both PS5 and PC.

We have completely relit the game to take advantage of Unreal Engine 5’s rendering features, including raytracing and enhanced materials, focusing on a more atmospheric and “modern horror” experience.
One of our key visual improvements for Until Dawn has been around revisiting the character models and bringing them in line with modern advances in character modeling and rendering. Improvements to textures, materials, rendering and animation performance have all contributed to higher fidelity characters who we hope will resonate with both new players and existing fans of the game.
53908533391_330df4873e_k.jpg

53908876569_5c5bac8bfd_k.jpg

53908779388_fffae1151d_k.jpg

raduque

Holy fucking shit. This looks next gen as fuck.

how are these random no name devs making stuff like this while other AAA devs cant?

Hot damn, I hope that's truly in-game, not just "in-engine". That is amazing.

PS5 exclusive? Not so amazing.
Edit: Oh it's on steam. The video didn't show any other platforms.

Last edited:

how are these random no name devs making stuff like this while other AAA devs cant?

The animation is terrible and the gameplay, lol. As for the visuals, its UE5's feature set that's carrying hard. UE5 makes it so easy to develop games.

SlimySnake

The animation is terrible and the gameplay, lol. As for the visuals, its UE5's feature set that's carrying hard. UE5 makes it so easy to develop games.
You say that but look at perfect dark. A UE5 game that looks like a UE4 game.

I understand this is a jank fest but its a game made by 11 people so some jank is possible. But if you look at the world design, level of detail and snow effects, its legit a gen ahead of perfect dark which was made by ex-ND, insomniac, crystal dynamics and respawn devs in LA.

The Dragon Age trailer is also very underwhelming from a visual standpoint and its from EA's biggest studio on Frostbite which was literally the first game to use RT reflections in 2018. Credit where credit is due and these guys are utilizing features far better than an AAA devs with hundreds of employees.

Lethal01

Not seeing anything super impressive here it's, very shiny with good character models in the cutscenes.
It just reeks of that cheap CYBERPUNK IN UE5 videos you get on youtube all the time with a hodgepodge of assets they grab and slap together. This is a step above those but extremely mediocre artwise, with meh animation to match.

It looks a step below those UE5 walking games we've been seeing recently.

I don't know where this "other AAA devs can't" is coming from when they aren't even matching some of their AA peers much less reaching AAA level.

Even the Dragon Age trailer people were giving shit looks far better than this

Last edited:

SlimySnake

What’s the consensus on Black Myth? I think it looks pretty nice. I remember when the first trailers had people calling bullshit. Just went back and watched those and it seems like the final game measures up pretty decently, yeah?
Yeah, its surprisingly close to the original reveal but the problem is that they told reviewers not to show anything after the first two chapters. So hard to make direct comparisons until launch date.

game is definitely very pretty but like most youtube videos, you are losing pretty much all detail. to me, it looks on par with demon souls with a little more biome variety, but those captures are piss poor so again, hard to make direct comparisons to demon souls.

From what i can tell, a few things do stand out. In the desert boss fight, not only does the sand shift accordingly, but the boss' AoE attacks also create a mini sand storm of sorts as individual grains of sand fill up the air for a few seconds. the water puddles also react to most attacks. the fire effects during a boss fight set the boss on fire for an extended period of time and the fire effects in that arena also look spectacular. So even though, the lighting and asset quality is being completely butchered by youtube compression, lumen and nanite are not the only things the game is relying upon to sell the visuals. there is a lot more going on under the hood.

I am going to wait and pick it up in a month or two as it is currently shipping with a lot of bugs. the game clearly needs a lot of patches especially when it comes to localization.

GooseMan69

Yeah, its surprisingly close to the original reveal but the problem is that they told reviewers not to show anything after the first two chapters. So hard to make direct comparisons until launch date.

game is definitely very pretty but like most youtube videos, you are losing pretty much all detail. to me, it looks on par with demon souls with a little more biome variety, but those captures are piss poor so again, hard to make direct comparisons to demon souls.

From what i can tell, a few things do stand out. In the desert boss fight, not only does the sand shift accordingly, but the boss' AoE attacks also create a mini sand storm of sorts as individual grains of sand fill up the air for a few seconds. the water puddles also react to most attacks. the fire effects during a boss fight set the boss on fire for an extended period of time and the fire effects in that arena also look spectacular. So even though, the lighting and asset quality is being completely butchered by youtube compression, lumen and nanite are not the only things the game is relying upon to sell the visuals. there is a lot more going on under the hood.

I am going to wait and pick it up in a month or two as it is currently shipping with a lot of bugs. the game clearly needs a lot of patches especially when it comes to localization.

Good call on waiting for patches. I hope console version isn’t a total disaster but the tight embargo restrictions aren’t encouraging.

GooseMan69

I will say, the Madden animations have improved. I say that as a huge All Pro Football 2K8 loyalist.

Unfortunately, the game as a whole is still dogshit, and is somehow STILL inferior to football games from almost 20 years ago. All that hype for College Football 25 and it ended up being mid as fuck. Marginally improved, and a decent time if you like football, but it still reeks of EA laziness and incompetence.

Graphically, they look….fine. The general execution of everything is so sloppy that the games end up looking worse than they should. All kinds of weird visual glitches and oddities. And don’t go past the first year in franchise or superstar mode or else you’ll start getting those hideous generic player/coach models.

I wanna say switching to frostbite fucked them over, but I’m not tech savvy enough to confidently declare that. I just get the feeling that the games are being held together by duct tape at this point. Glad I haven’t bought Madden since 2012.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

i like how the guy said he did this in 6 days. i know making games is hard but lets not blame the fact that games are taking 5-7 years and looking last gen is due to graphics becoming more complex. nah, its just the actual game design part that takes forever. mostly because every game designer wants their game to be 50-100 hours long or because they lost all the talent due to crunch and the new talent is simply taking forever to relearn the art of making games.

SlimySnake

Playing Evil West right now and its the perfect example of how youtube makes last gen games look better than they are while making current gen games look worse. the game looked amazing in this video and i was like wow i cant wait to check it out, but then im playing the game in 4k 120fps and its assets are last gen as fuck. even the lighting which is very striking in the DF video below, doesnt look as good when im playing the game. though it is a very striking game thanks to some really over the top cinematography. Some wooden assets look great as well.

What you have here is youtube compression hiding all the poor texture and material work especially on rocks, while in games like avatar and star wars, the compression hides all the details leading to everyone thinking the game looks worse than it is.

The game itself is a lot of fun. Id highly recommend it. especially if you are sick of bloated open world games. its old school and a lot like older gow games with great pacing and constant upgrades and new mechanics. no idea why something like hellblade 2 couldnt have been designed like this.

Edder1

i like how the guy said he did this in 6 days. i know making games is hard but lets not blame the fact that games are taking 5-7 years and looking last gen is due to graphics becoming more complex. nah, its just the actual game design part that takes forever. mostly because every game designer wants their game to be 50-100 hours long or because they lost all the talent due to crunch and the new talent is simply taking forever to relearn the art of making games.
Games can definitely be made in 3-4 years, Insomniac is a prime example, Remedy is another. The problem with studios nowadays is that they are not run efficiently and have bloated management structures. Teams that are well managed are still able to release AAA games in 4 years or less. Another massive issue is the fact that these studios are trying to fill DEI quota, something that also leads to lack of quality and efficiency.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Games can definitely be made in 3-4 years, Insomniac is a prime example, Remedy is another. The problem with studios nowadays is that they are not run efficiently and have bloated management structures. Teams that are well managed are still able to release AAA games in 4 years or less. Another massive issue is the fact that these studios are trying to fill DEI quota, something that also leads to lack of quality and efficiency.
yeah, management is definitely to blame as well, but i distinctly remember articles about how everyone in the industry was getting burnt out in their 30s as they started having kids and realized they cant work 16 hour days. we lost a lot of talent in the 2010s and this insane drought we've found ourselves in is likely due to people just not being talented enough. DEI is definitely an issue. Overall though, the games arent just taking forever, they arent particularly good anymore. i feel like talented devs have forgotten how to make fun games. so even in games that have great graphics like alan wake 2, avatar, hellblade 2, the game designers simply cant figure out a way to make the games fun anymore. i swear ps3 era open world games were far more fun than this, and i just cant understand why devs might have gotten worse in the last 20 years. they are likely no longer in the industry and the young uns are simply not good enough because they had no one teaching them the basics of good game design.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Last edited:
Top Bottom